Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can anyone explain the weird politics of mask-wearing? – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2021

I would imagine if Labour banned charitable status of private schools, the unintended consequence will be that the charitable work and facility sharing they currently do will be the first thing to go.

And all that would happen is fees up, more rich foreign students, meaning more British kids needing state education and costing the taxpayer more.

So the £1.7bn quickly becomes a hell of a lot less than that.

It seems like one of those things like private health care, even if you are idealogically against, removing it is far from cost free.

To me seems like lot more important things to worry about. Put taxes up on the rich if you want the money for state education.

Blair's removal of the assisted places was instrumental in making these schools even more socially exclusive than they were in the late '90s. It's New Labour at its gestural worst rather than more fresh-thinking, I think. Either you might giant and radical changes to this sector, or you leave it alone.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Angela Rayner isn't going to be prime minister after her comments tonight. She may have won support from the left of the Labour Party but swing voters won't take her seriously.

Isn't that what they said about David Lloyd George re: his Limehouse speech?
    Comparing Angela Rayner to Lloyd George is like comparing Mr Blobby to Bob Dillon
    So DLG was NOT criticized for his verbiage at Limehouse? IIRC plenty of adverse comment at the time, along same lines as expressed by our Andy.

BTW it's Bob Dylan, changed from Zimmerman in honor of Dylan Thomas (also infamous for his "bad" language)

EDIT - is Mr Bloby another known for political invective?
    He's known for invective. Usually on the receiving end though.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

💥EXCL: Keir Starmer vows to end private schools’ charity status raising £1.7bn to help poorer kids in state system - top interview with our ⁦@MirrorGemma⁩ https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-vows-tax-private-25072816

Red meat. Good.
    Red meat for mad, rabid, delusion dogs.

That will bite him seriously in the arse. It is as incoherent as Corbyns "fully costed Manifesto" 4 page memo that was debunked within about 24 hours in 2017. With added political costs.

1 - Independent schools provide hundreds of million of £££ of of support to local communities, local schools and pupils who would not otherwise make
    it every year. That accounts for a large chunk of the alleged savings.
    2 - Some marginal parents will not be able to afford it. Which drives them back into the state sector. At what cost? All the numbers I have seen make this a loss.
    3 - The independent sector is not just - as Starmer seems to think - Eton. It is diverse. I have a relative who was removed from state to independent for several years because the state system could not provide protection from the bullies and appropriate teaching and support. Starmer is attacking this diversirt because of political dogma, penning those victims straight back into the orbit of their bullies and their abusers.

I suspect this is a policy based on imagined dogma and fantasy arithmetic, and that he is stirring up a political tidal wave that will cost him very dearly indeed.

A very, very stupid idea.
    I actually agree with parts of this. Removing the assisted places scheme in the late '90s achieved simiarly little, and was actually socially counter-productive. It reminds me of some of New Labour's most mediocre moments of gesture politics, which it used to cover a lack of radicalism in some other areas in its first term, and to sell what was actually a fairly technocratic agenda to its members.
    Sir Keir either benefitted from state aided private schooling, or his parents paid for him to go private themselves.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021

I would imagine if Labour banned charitable status of private schools, the unintended consequence will be that the charitable work and facility sharing they currently do will be the first thing to go.

And all that would happen is fees up, more rich foreign students, meaning more British kids needing state education and costing the taxpayer more.

It seems like one of those things like private health care, even if you are idealogically against, removing it is far from cost free.

To me seems like lot more important things to worry about. Put taxes up on the rich if you want the money for state education.

Blair's removal of the assisted places was instrumental in making these schools even more socially exclusive than they were in the late '90s. It's New Labour at its gestural worst rather than more fresh-thinking, I think. Either you might giant and radical changes to this sector, or you leave it alone.
    Obviously it was in the 2019 manifesto as was £10 an hr, banning ZHC, Green New Deal, loft laggers of the world unite.

Be interesting to see if Labour have anything new. Brexit is one thing, but the world is changing fast, we need some serious sensible solutions for the problems both now, but coming down the tracks.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2021

Obviously it was in the 2019 manifesto as was £10 an hr, banning ZHC, Green New Deal, loft laggers of the world unite.

Be interesting to see if Labour have anything new. Brexit is one thing, but the world is changing fast, we need some serious sensible solutions for the problems both now, but coming down the tracks.
    Several of those from 2019 I have some sympathy with, if not always the sheer amount of them and the way they were communicated, but this is just low-end gesturing that achieves little, I think.

Labour definitely needs a lot of new ideas, as do all the parties.

Be more interesting to see if there is anything left from their last 3 manifestoes that Boris hasn't already implemented.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKcNyMBw818&list=RDMM&index=5

TANGLED UP IN BLUE
    Bob Dylan

Early one morning, the sun was shining
    I was laying in bed
    Wondering if she'd changed it all
    If her hair was still red
    Her folks, they said our lives together
    Sure was gonna be rough
    They never did like mama's homemade dress
    Papa's bankbook wasn't big enough
    And I was standing on the side of the road
    Rain falling on my shoes
    Heading out for the East coast
    Lord knows I've paid some dues getting through
    Tangled up in blue

She was married when we first met
    Soon to be divorced
    I helped her out of a jam, I guess
    But I used a little too much force
    We drove that car as far as we could
    Abandoned it out West
    Split up on a dark, sad night
    Both agreeing it was best
    She turned around to look at me
    As I was walking away
    I heard her say over my shoulder
    "We'll meet again someday on the Avenue"
    Tangled up in blue

I had a job in the great North Woods
    Working as a cook for a spell
    But I never did like it all that much
    And one day the ax just fell
    So I drifted down to New Orleans
    Where I was happy to be employed
    Workin' for a while on a fishin' boat
    Right outside of Delacroix
    But all the while I was alone
    The past was close behind
    I seen a lot of women
    But she never escaped my mind and I just grew
    Tangled up in blue

She was working in a topless place
    And I stopped in for a beer
    I just kept looking at the sight of her face
    In the spotlight so clear
    And later on when the crowd thinned out
    I's just about to do the same
    She was standing there in back of my chair
    Saying, "Don't I know your name?"
    I muttered something underneath my breath
    She studied the lines on my face
    I must admit I felt a little uneasy
    When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe
    Tangled up in blue

She lit a burner on the stove and offered me a pipe
    "I thought you'd never say hello, " she said
    "You look like the silent type"
    Then she opened up a book of poems
    And handed it to me
    Written by an Italian poet
    From the thirteenth century
    And every one of them words rang true
    And glowed like burnin' coal
    Pourin' off of every page
    Like it was written in my soul from me to you
    Tangled up in blue

I lived with them on Montague Street
    In a basement down the stairs
    There was music in the cafés at night
    And revolution in the air
    Then he started into dealing with slaves
    And something inside of him died
    She had to sell everything she owned
    And froze up inside
    And when finally the bottom fell out
    I became withdrawn
    The only thing I knew how to do
    Was to keep on keepin' on like a bird that flew
    Tangled up in blue

So now I'm going back again
    I got to get her somehow
    All the people we used to know
    They're an illusion to me now
    Some are mathematicians
    Some are carpenters' wives
    Don't know how it all got started
    I don't what they do with their lives
    But me, I'm still on the road
    Headin' for another joint
    We always did feel the same
    We just saw it from a different point of view
    Tangled up in blue
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,404
    dixiedean said:

Be more interesting to see if there is anything left from their last 3 manifestoes that Boris hasn't already implemented.
    Perhaps Corbyn's promise to hold an enquiry into Britain's role in the raid on the Golden Temple in Amritsar, that was in one of the manifestoes.
    ping said:
    Interesting to see Canada in mid-table.
    Housing affordability was a big issue the Tories used to attack Trudeau. Not a patch on ours.
  • Well after my daughter having Covid back at the beginning of July whilst at University, this evening my 14 year old son, who has felt rough for the last 24 hours, tested positive. We are booked for a PCR test tomorrow morning.

Talking to my son it seems that at least a quarter of his school have now got or had Covid over the last month. Two of his classmates also tested positive this evening.

Although being double jabbed my wife and I are not required to self isolate, we are going to stay away from people for the next 10 days as we hate the idea we might accidently pass it on.

I am also taking the opportunity to use this as a chance to reiterate to my boy the importance of personal responsibility. He gets it, which is pleasing.
  • dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Angela Rayner isn't going to be prime minister after her comments tonight. She may have won support from the left of the Labour Party but swing voters won't take her seriously.

Comparing Angela Rayner to Lloyd George is like comparing Mr Blobby to Bob Dillon
    So DLG was NOT criticized for his verbiage at Limehouse? IIRC plenty of adverse comment at the time, along same lines as expressed by our Andy.

BTW it's Bob Dylan, changed from Zimmerman in honor of Dylan Thomas (also infamous for his "bad" language)
    Pedant hat on. @HYUFD is correct. Bob Dillon was one of the pseudonyms he went under before settling on Dylan. Blind Boy Grunt and Elston Gunn being two more. He produces under the name Jack Frost right now.

https://law.marquette.edu/facultyblog/2010/12/did-rock-legend-bob-dylan-steal-his-name-from-packers-legend-bob-dillion/
    Fascinating. Though suspect HYUFD got it right (im)purely by accident.

Regardless, I give him my semi-abject, quasi-sincere apology!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,088
    edited September 2021

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

💥EXCL: Keir Starmer vows to end private schools’ charity status raising £1.7bn to help poorer kids in state system - top interview with our ⁦@MirrorGemma⁩ https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-vows-tax-private-25072816

Red meat. Good.
    Red meat for mad, rabid, delusion dogs.

That will bite him seriously in the arse. It is as incoherent as Corbyns "fully costed Manifesto" 4 page memo that was debunked within about 24 hours in 2017. With added political costs.

1 - Independent schools provide hundreds of million of £££ of of support to local communities, local schools and pupils who would not otherwise make
    it every year. That accounts for a large chunk of the alleged savings.
    2 - Some marginal parents will not be able to afford it. Which drives them back into the state sector. At what cost? All the numbers I have seen make this a loss.
    3 - The independent sector is not just - as Starmer seems to think - Eton. It is diverse. I have a relative who was removed from state to independent for several years because the state system could not provide protection from the bullies and appropriate teaching and support. Starmer is attacking this diversirt because of political dogma, penning those victims straight back into the orbit of their bullies and their abusers.

I suspect this is a policy based on imagined dogma and fantasy arithmetic, and that he is stirring up a political tidal wave that will cost him very dearly indeed.

A very, very stupid idea.
    I actually agree with parts of this. Removing the assisted places scheme in the late '90s achieved simiarly little, and was actually socially counter-productive. It reminds me of some of New Labour's most mediocre moments of gesture politics, which it used to cover a lack of radicalism in some other areas in its first term, and to sell what was actually a fairly technocratic agenda to its members.
    Thanks.

Might submit a header (he said optimistically) - this is one issue that *really* gets me going,

Mr S needs to remember the mauling that was handed to (I think) Michael Foot in politics in 1983 by ISC (?), and then to Suzie Leather Blair's QUANGO Queen, in the Courts, on their misinterpretation of Charity Law.

Given how incoherent it is, he'll get his arse carved into steak tatare.
    edited September 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKcNyMBw818&list=RDMM&index=5

TANGLED UP IN BLUE
    Bob Dylan

Early one morning, the sun was shining
    I was laying in bed
    Wondering if she'd changed it all
    If her hair was still red
    Her folks, they said our lives together
    Sure was gonna be rough
    They never did like mama's homemade dress
    Papa's bankbook wasn't big enough
    And I was standing on the side of the road
    Rain falling on my shoes
    Heading out for the East coast
    Lord knows I've paid some dues getting through
    Tangled up in blue

She was married when we first met
    Soon to be divorced
    I helped her out of a jam, I guess
    But I used a little too much force
    We drove that car as far as we could
    Abandoned it out West
    Split up on a dark, sad night
    Both agreeing it was best
    She turned around to look at me
    As I was walking away
    I heard her say over my shoulder
    "We'll meet again someday on the Avenue"
    Tangled up in blue

I had a job in the great North Woods
    Working as a cook for a spell
    But I never did like it all that much
    And one day the ax just fell
    So I drifted down to New Orleans
    Where I was happy to be employed
    Workin' for a while on a fishin' boat
    Right outside of Delacroix
    But all the while I was alone
    The past was close behind
    I seen a lot of women
    But she never escaped my mind and I just grew
    Tangled up in blue

She was working in a topless place
    And I stopped in for a beer
    I just kept looking at the sight of her face
    In the spotlight so clear
    And later on when the crowd thinned out
    I's just about to do the same
    She was standing there in back of my chair
    Saying, "Don't I know your name?"
    I muttered something underneath my breath
    She studied the lines on my face
    I must admit I felt a little uneasy
    When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe
    Tangled up in blue

She lit a burner on the stove and offered me a pipe
    "I thought you'd never say hello, " she said
    "You look like the silent type"
    Then she opened up a book of poems
    And handed it to me
    Written by an Italian poet
    From the thirteenth century
    And every one of them words rang true
    And glowed like burnin' coal
    Pourin' off of every page
    Like it was written in my soul from me to you
    Tangled up in blue

I lived with them on Montague Street
    In a basement down the stairs
    There was music in the cafés at night
    And revolution in the air
    Then he started into dealing with slaves
    And something inside of him died
    She had to sell everything she owned
    And froze up inside
    And when finally the bottom fell out
    I became withdrawn
    The only thing I knew how to do
    Was to keep on keepin' on like a bird that flew
    Tangled up in blue

So now I'm going back again
    I got to get her somehow
    All the people we used to know
    They're an illusion to me now
    Some are mathematicians
    Some are carpenters' wives
    Don't know how it all got started
    I don't what they do with their lives
    But me, I'm still on the road
    Headin' for another joint
    We always did feel the same
    We just saw it from a different point of view
    Tangled up in blue

If anyone ever tells you pronouns don't matter. There are endless live versions of this with different verses, particularly the last, and alternate lyrics. It is a song he hasn't yet finished.
    But there are ones in which he simply shuffles all the pronouns around.
    And it becomes a completely different tale entirely.
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

ping said:
    Housing affordability was a big issue the Tories used to attack Trudeau. Not a patch on ours.
    Isn't Canada problem 3-4 cities and your Banffs of the world its gone mental, but still very cheap to live outside of those in the sticks, as loads of land.

Where as the UK, we have seen this across all big cities and towns, plus all these rural areas like Cotswold, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall etc, its easier to talk about where it hasn't i.e. total dives in left behind Northern towns.
  • Has Rayner slipped up?

@Nadine_Writes
    Interestingly, while accusing the Tories of being racist, Labour's Deputy leader Angela Rayner reportedly said the Govt is "operating a banana republic”. "Banana republic" is often viewed as a derogatory term, typically used in a racist context.

https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1441900732073095168
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Perhaps Corbyn's promise to hold an enquiry into Britain's role in the raid on the Golden Temple in Amritsar, that was in one of the manifestoes.
    If there are votes in it...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

dixiedean said:

ping said:
    Isn't Canada problem 3-4 cities and your Banffs of the world its gone mental, but still very cheap to live outside of those in the sticks, as loads of land.

Where as the UK, we have seen this across all big cities and towns, plus all these rural areas like Cotswold, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall etc, its easier to talk about where it hasn't i.e. total dives in left behind Northern towns.
    I want to know what they are doing in South Korea. I don't think they have the same deflationary economy as Japan?
    edited September 2021
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

I want to know what they are doing in South Korea. I don't think they have the same deflationary economy as Japan?
    If i had to guess it is skewed by large increase in wages due to how fast south korea has developed. Also, isn't it quite common to have a model a bit similar to back in the day in the UK, where a town is a single big employer and the employer builds properties / facilities in order to man the factory.
  • ping said:
    The lie that there's been no inflation in the past few decades has to be brought down on its knees. There's been inflation, we've just inflated the assets of the landlord class and inflated the costs of everyone else.

Time to reverse that. We need wage inflation, to bring costs back down. Housing costs going up in the past two decades has been every bit as terrible as food or energy costs going up in the 70s and 80s.

Same shit, different day.
  • China is the craziest, 37x salary to get a property....

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Well indeed. Trouble is, in Canada that's where all the decent jobs are. And the locals are being priced out. BC suffers from being the only place you can be homeless and survive a winter. Course, you can't just live in a timber cottage by a lake and WFH here.
    But, if you grew up in downtown Vancouver that is equally as alien. And we don't have moose and grizzlies in Gloucestershire.
    Same shit. Different place.
  • China is the craziest, 37x salary to get a property....

I swear it could end up like that in the UK and we'd still have people on this site saying that we mustn't build on green space and that there's no inflation in the country so long as CPI remains low . . .
  • dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

Well indeed. Trouble is, in Canada that's where all the decent jobs are. And the locals are being priced out. BC suffers from being the only place you can be homeless and survive a winter. Course, you can't just live in a timber cottage by a lake and WFH here.
    But, if you grew up in downtown Vancouver that is equally as alien. And we don't have moose and grizzlies in Gloucestershire.
    That was my point, why the chart is a bit misleading.

ping said:
    The lie that there's been no inflation in the past few decades has to be brought down on its knees. There's been inflation, we've just inflated the assets of the landlord class and inflated the costs of everyone else.

Time to reverse that. We need wage inflation, to bring costs back down. Housing costs going up in the past two decades has been every bit as terrible as food or energy costs going up in the 70s and 80s.

Crumbs. I said same shit different. .. without seeing your post on exactly the topic, but in an entirely different context.
  • dixiedean said:

ping said:

Crumbs. I said same shit different. .. without seeing your post on exactly the topic, but in an entirely different context.
    LOL. I did wonder if you'd read mine. Amusing coincidence, great minds think alike!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,282

China is the craziest, 37x salary to get a property....

I swear it could end up like that in the UK and we'd still have people on this site saying that we mustn't build on green space and that there's no inflation in the country so long as CPI remains low . . .
    If we are going to build on green space, it has to be mainly in Scotland, Wales and northern England, not the south and the Midlands.
    edited September 2021
    Government looking for somebody to blame...Interesting though...

The fuel crisis began to snowball last week after comments made by Hanna Hofer, head of BP’s retail business, at a Cabinet Office meeting were leaked. On September 16, Ms Hofer told civil servants, hauliers and other industry figures that the company had ‘two-thirds of normal forecourt stock levels’.

According to a senior Government source, however, she also said the situation had been ‘going on for weeks’ and that very few forecourts had had to close. Crucially, those additional comments – which Government insiders believe would have prevented or at least reduced the panic-buying of fuel – were not made public.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10028661/HGV-boss-accused-triggering-petrol-pump-crisis-Ministers-point-finger-ex-BBC-man.html

Its bog roll crisis all over again...some limited shortages, get amplified and you get crazy panic buying, leads to widespread shortages.

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

EDIT - is Mr Bloby another known for political invective?
    "our Andy". I've never been called that before, lol.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

dixiedean said:

No idea.
    But at least it hasn't widely reached the stage of screaming abuse at folk for making a personal choice.
    Let's be British and keep it that way, please.

It's already here. Apparently it's 'moronic' to wear a mask now.

Needless to say, this unwanted advice has not changed my own view one bit. ;)
    I've been called "hysterical" by @Anabobazina on this very forum for my views on the need to keep wearing masks. If thats hysterical for the pray the pox away brigade, I can cope.
    That’s untrue. I refer to your posts as frequently hysterical, because they are, and also hypocritical, because they are often that too. Nothing to do with masks. I have said several times on here that mask wearing is a personal choice.
    edited September 2021

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

That was my point, why the chart is a bit misleading.
    Ah. OK. Yes you are right. My point was that it was an issue with some cut through even though it didn't really affect the median voter. Whereas it does here, as you say. But it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Other than high prices good.
  • Andy_JS said:

If we are going to build on green space, it has to be mainly in Scotland, Wales and northern England, not the south and the Midlands.
    The housing crisis was created by decades of saying "anyone from anywhere can live anywhere they want to".

So the only real solution is to say "anyone from anywhere can build anywhere they want to".

We need homes where people live. Some in the North yes, but I'm afraid to say that people don't only live in the North . . .
  • Has Rayner slipped up?

@Nadine_Writes
    Interestingly, while accusing the Tories of being racist, Labour's Deputy leader Angela Rayner reportedly said the Govt is "operating a banana republic”. "Banana republic" is often viewed as a derogatory term, typically used in a racist context.

Only among the Wokerati.....

Just as well there aren't many of them in Labour!

More seriously did she let the term [TRIGGER WARNING] "women" pass her lips?

I believe "chicks without dicks" may be more acceptable these days...
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

But then you need to have reason to live here. There are plenty, although diminishing, houses which folk don't want. Right now they are being occupied by the homeless from across the nation. Or not at all.
    Which ain't really levelling up.
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Oh. This might change things...

Fuck him.

A charitable campaign is one thing.

If he wants to get involved in politics he should get himself elected
    He has a voice Charles. He is using it.

Fuck you.

Edit: treble fuck you.
    He's using his fame to influence politics. You could argue that's undemocratic. If he wants to stand for election, that's fine. Go for it.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,163
    Charles said:

Fuck him.

What an unpleasant comment.
  • Andy_JS said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Fuck him.

He has a voice Charles. He is using it.

Fuck you.

Edit: treble fuck you.
    He's using his fame to influence politics. You could argue that's undemocratic. If he wants to stand for election, that's fine. Go for it.
    How can you argue that is undemocratic?

Absolutely anyone and everyone has the right to free speech. If only the people in power did, that is many things but not democracy.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Has Rayner slipped up?

@Nadine_Writes

If anything, the term is anti-American, as it refers to the countries that big American agricultural companies ran as effective fiefdoms, getting Uncle Sam to send the troops in whenever the locals tried to kick back.
  • Mali's PM told the UN General Assembly that France abandoned his country with a "unilateral" decision to withdraw troops, and his government was justified to "seek other partners" - likely to be Russian paramilitaries

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1441885472716906497

Mali's PM told the UN General Assembly that France abandoned his country with a "unilateral" decision to withdraw troops, and his government was justified to "seek other partners" - likely to be Russian paramilitaries

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1441885472716906497

British forces were assisting the French troops in Mali. I don't know whether they're still there or not.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    @NIAbbot: Foreign lorry drivers: please forget all the stuff we said about wanting you to go back to where you came from, we were kidding. As a special offer, we will allow you to come back to help us for a limited period before we tell you to get out again.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

TOPPING said:

Usyk too good.

We are never getting Fury vs Joshua in their prime.

Why should we? AJ isn't up to the big moment.

UD Usyk.
    Well clear now he isn't. You could say Ruiz might have been a one off, but Usyk took him apart there.
    I presume he'll be entitled to a rematch, again?

Does seem a really weird system, boxing.
    Yes, rematch clause. So that's another 12 months, then same result again....

In meantime, Fury beats up Wilder again. And then nobody to fight for another 18 months.
    Oh well, the Ukranian half of my household is the happier this morning, after that result.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Fuck him.

Sometimes you're hilarious. By your criteria, HYUFD would have PB to himself I think. Oh, and Nick Palmer. Any others elected on here?

And 'Fuck him' is not very gentlemanly, is it?
    JohnO was a county councillor but I think lost his seat
    Er, JohnO is still a County Councillor being re-elected in May with an increased majority.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Fuck him.

Sometimes you're hilarious. By your criteria, HYUFD would have PB to himself I think. Oh, and Nick Palmer. Any others elected on here?

And 'Fuck him' is not very gentlemanly, is it?
    JohnO was a county councillor but I think lost his seat
    Er, JohnO is still a County Councillor being re-elected in May with an increased majority.
    It’s true this site is mostly armchair generals but there are a few of us with active or past service in the field!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

Well after my daughter having Covid back at the beginning of July whilst at University, this evening my 14 year old son, who has felt rough for the last 24 hours, tested positive. We are booked for a PCR test tomorrow morning.

Talking to my son it seems that at least a quarter of his school have now got or had Covid over the last month. Two of his classmates also tested positive this evening.

Although being double jabbed my wife and I are not required to self isolate, we are going to stay away from people for the next 10 days as we hate the idea we might accidently pass it on.

I am also taking the opportunity to use this as a chance to reiterate to my boy the importance of personal responsibility. He gets it, which is pleasing.

Sorry to hear this, hope he’s OK.

Weirdly, my school is so far more or less unaffected. But then we had it very badly last autumn (at one point lasting six weeks about a fifth of all children were off for six weeks - different fifths as we played whack a mole with new cases).

I wonder if those schools that escaped lightly last time are now going to get it badly? If so, that’s going to put more pressure on the exam system.
This discussion has been closed.