Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Britain is among the least lockdown sceptical of 20 European countries – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2021

Test positivity in FL is 37%.

Yikes!

The US is in for a world of hurt. Biden's modest vaccine targets have been missed and all the refuseniks don't appear to be rushing to get the numbers up.
    Quite staggering just how much of a failure Biden is turning out to be. I’d read the other day they were looking at water shortages as they have to redirect the liquid oxygen that would normally treat it to ICUs
    On this, Biden isn't the major problem, it is the coalition of Trumpsters, ethnic minorities and new age yoga alternative lifestylers antivaxxers that are a sizable number.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

A concerning thread on where we are...

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    Thread: A year ago today we saw the lowest ever recorded number of COVID hospital admissions in England. The 22nd August 2020 figure was 25. I expect 22nd August 2021 will be around 800: that's five doublings higher, and I don't think that's good news, to say the least.

https://twitter.com/BristOliver/status/1429397533428695040

Its why I don't understand the pissing about with booster jabs. Get em done.
    800 admissions is jut over 1 per parliamentary constituency - hardly overwhelming hospitals is it?
    800 people in hospital who don't need to be. I would suggest that is something worth trying to avoid if all it takes is a jab.
    Being double jabbed does not stop you getting covid, getting covid seriously, or passing on covid.
    It overwhelmingly stops you ending up in hospital or dying of it.
    No what stops you ending up in hospital is your age, overall fitness, and whether you have co-morbidities or not. Why do you think we protect the vulnerable?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219

DougSeal said:

Yikes!

Probably Key West for Christmas won’t happen this year.
    I presume given how magnetic key west is for anti-government conspiracy theorist nutters, the vaccination rate might be a tad low around those parts
    Yeah, which is a shame cos be and the Wife quite like it.
  • Options

https://www.covid19assembly.org/2021/08/the-government-has-based-the-handling-of-the-covid-pandemic-on-flawed-assumptions-say-133-doctors-nurses-paramedics-and-midwives/

The data on which we are basing your covid assumptions is completely flawed, say some named health professionals.

Now I stress these are not TSE approved health professionals, nor have they been vetted by experts such as Alistair 100,00 cases. So caveat emptor, naturally.

These are health professionals we can disregard, because, well, they are nutters obviously. Whereas the doctors we listen to, like Susan Michie and that Pagel woman, are completely above reproach.

Andy Cook has done all the research for us anyway, and there's no point in arguing.

There are 595,000 health professionals currently employed in the UK. The fact that 133 of them turn out to be somewhat unhinged is no real great surprise. Perhaps the only real surprise is that they could find so few.
  • Options

https://www.covid19assembly.org/2021/08/the-government-has-based-the-handling-of-the-covid-pandemic-on-flawed-assumptions-say-133-doctors-nurses-paramedics-and-midwives/

The data on which we are basing your covid assumptions is completely flawed, say some named health professionals.

Now I stress these are not TSE approved health professionals, nor have they been vetted by experts such as Alistair 100,00 cases. So caveat emptor, naturally.

These are health professionals we can disregard, because, well, they are nutters obviously. Whereas the doctors we listen to, like Susan Michie and that Pagel woman, are completely above reproach.

Andy Cook has done all the research for us anyway, and there's no point in arguing.

There are 595,000 health professionals currently employed in the UK. The fact that 133 of them turn out to be somewhat unhinged is no real great surprise. Perhaps the only real surprise is that they could find so few.
    As I say, you can disregard them in favour of TSE approved professionals.
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    Thread: A year ago today we saw the lowest ever recorded number of COVID hospital admissions in England. The 22nd August 2020 figure was 25. I expect 22nd August 2021 will be around 800: that's five doublings higher, and I don't think that's good news, to say the least.

800 admissions is jut over 1 per parliamentary constituency - hardly overwhelming hospitals is it?
    800 people in hospital who don't need to be. I would suggest that is something worth trying to avoid if all it takes is a jab.
    Being double jabbed does not stop you getting covid, getting covid seriously, or passing on covid.
    No what stops you ending up in hospital is your age, overall fitness, and whether you have co-morbidities or not. Why do you think we protect the vulnerable?
    Yes by vaccinating them. Unless of course you are proposing permanent lockdowns.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Yikes!

The US is in for a world of hurt. Biden's modest vaccine targets have been missed and all the refuseniks don't appear to be rushing to get the numbers up.
    Quite staggering just how much of a failure Biden is turning out to be. I’d read the other day they were looking at water shortages as they have to redirect the liquid oxygen that would normally treat it to ICUs
    On this, Biden isn't the major problem, it is the coalition of Trumpsters, ethnic minorities and new age yoga alternative lifestylers antivaxxers that are a sizable number.
    And health is a state prerogative, so there is little Biden can directly do about the situation in Florida.

Afghanistan has been an unmitigated, unforced disaster. For that, Biden deserves all that is coming his way. But it doesn't mean everything that is going wrong under his watch is his fault.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Yikes!

I presume given how magnetic key west is for anti-government conspiracy theorist nutters, the vaccination rate might be a tad low around those parts
    Mrs U worked down there for a while. There are worse places to have to spend some time.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    32,253 cases....49 deaths.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    DougSeal said:

Yikes!

We were looking at exactly that. But no longer. It's going to have to be sherry and the Snowman and Poirot again. Ah well. Mustn't grumble.
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

And considerably reduces the chances of you catching it and passing it on if you do.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

It reduces the possibility of all of those things dramatically. Parachutes don’t necessarily stop you dying after jumping out of a plane, seat belts don’t necessarily stop you dying in a car accident. These are not zero sum outcomes.
    More eloquently and persuasively said than my rebuttal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

So vaccination does nothing to reduce the risk of hospitilisation.

What are you smoking, and can I have some of it?
  • Options

Quite high case numbers for a Sunday.
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Yes by vaccinating them. Unless of course you are proposing permanent lockdowns.
    No I am proposing permanent liberty and freedom, you know, that situation that last from 1945 to March 2020....?

Quarantine and vaccinate the sick and vulnerable. Let healthy people live their lives.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

On topic. The stat in the header that interests me the most is not that related to the UK but that related to Sweden.

The country that spent most of the first year of the pandemic claiming that lockdowns were not the way to proceed and then suffered as a consequence is now almost the least lockdown sceptic of the whole of Europe.

Bit cheeky to ignore half the survey - in terms of people who think lockdowns work they're very much in the bottom half of the western european countries there.
    Erm no.

One graph is of those who think lockdowns don't work (do more harm than good) - in Sweden that number is 15%, 3rd from bottom . The other graph is those who think the Covid risks are overstated - in Sweden that number is 14% - the lowest out of those polled.

Neither shows them in the bottom half of those thinking lockdowns don't work. Exactly the reverse in fact.
    Err no, I'm not referring to the 2nd table at all. The first table includes the number who think Lockdowns work as well as the number who think they don't work (and those who think they make no difference).

Sweden is pretty near table topping in thinking lockdowns are net neutral, and the number of positives is lower than most of Western Europe - you're basing a conclusion on 1/3rd of the data presented when the rest does not agree.
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

So why are ever higher percentages of those in hospital, in ICUs and dying young adults and children? (No need to reply, I know the answer)
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    edited August 2021
    There are hints that the Taliban leadership are getting pretty frustrated by the scenes at the airport and wider Western evacuation action. Theyve sent some of ther best to the airport approaches to try to shore things up but the unfolding mess there is a problem for them too.
  • Options

Numbers remain flat as a pancake in England. Up a mere 93 from last weekend.
  • Options

On topic. The stat in the header that interests me the most is not that related to the UK but that related to Sweden.

The country that spent most of the first year of the pandemic claiming that lockdowns were not the way to proceed and then suffered as a consequence is now almost the least lockdown sceptic of the whole of Europe.

Rational people. Learning from experience.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

No I am not saying that. For the vulnerable and older people the vaccines are very useful.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Yikes!

We were looking at exactly that. But no longer. It's going to have to be sherry and the Snowman and Poirot again. Ah well. Mustn't grumble.
    Mustn't grumble. Made me chuckle. Such a quintessentially British approach. Don't hear that phrase at all Stateside.

PS Question for the PB brains trust: Is "musn't grumble" an oxymoron?
  • Options

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

No I am not saying that. For the vulnerable and older people the vaccines are very useful.
    Your earlier post said exactly that. In reply to a comment saying being vaccinated "overwhelmingly stops you ending up in hospital or dying of it", you replied saying that it doesn't.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In less than 48 hours Biden's entire domestic agenda is going to be blown up by 9 Democrats who apparently don't understand that the bill is insanely popular.

https://twitter.com/banditelli/status/1429441028298133506?s=19
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    DougSeal said:

Looks like up 3k to me comparing England cases declared 22nd vs 15th.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,544
    FWIW I think Boris, and Raab took his lead from him, did fanny about but I don't expect a single blow to land on them over Afghanistan because everyone knows the UK was simply rowing in behind US policy on it - and we had no choice.

A better criticism would be why Boris didn't influence Biden better as Cameron did over a decidedly sceptical Obama over Libya in 2011.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Biden has nominated Rahm Emanuel, the former mayor of Chicago and former President Barack Obama’s first chief of staff, to be next ambassador to Japan.
  • Options
    TimT said:

DougSeal said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

It reduces the possibility of all of those things dramatically. Parachutes don’t necessarily stop you dying after jumping out of a plane, seat belts don’t necessarily stop you dying in a car accident. These are not zero sum outcomes.
    More eloquently and persuasively said than my rebuttal.
    Thanks. Given his comments about me in the past, not to mention his habit of blowing up threads with his nonsense. I don’t know why I even give him the time of day.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

In less than 48 hours Biden's entire domestic agenda is going to be blown up by 9 Democrats who apparently don't understand that the bill is insanely popular.

Or 9 Democrats who understand that there are mid-terms next year and the Democrats' control of both Houses is at stake.

What they are proposing is that the $1trn bill go through, and that the additional $3trn be voted on separately. Pelosi and the Squad don't want that because they know that the $3trn won't pass on its own.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    kinabalu said:

They bet against vaccines working. A mistake with hindsight for sure, it is worth remembering the pessimism about vaccines at the start. Cummings as much as said that’s what was driving our policy at the start. I guess our population density meant we had to change course much quicker than Sweden. It’s hard to contemplate how horrible things would be if the vaccines hadn’t come through.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    edited August 2021
    4 weeks and we're up to 87% of adults second dosed and 91% first dosed. That's 73% of the population and 70% of the population respectively. I don't see us getting much beyond that without mandatory vaccine passes for leisure activities.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

4 weeks and we're up to 87% of adults second dosed and 91% first dosed. That 73% of the population and 70% of the population respectively. I don't see us getting much beyond that without mandatory vaccine passes for leisure activities.

The anti-vaxxers will all end up catching covid in any case - many of them have already done so.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    ·
    1h
    Sweden: Prime Minister Stefan Löfven has announced he will leave his position as leader of the Social Democrats (S-S&D) and Head of Government at the party’s congress in November, less than one year ahead of the country’s general election. "
  • Options
    Close correlation to those numbers and vaccination per country.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

Or 9 Democrats who understand that there are mid-terms next year and the Democrats' control of both Houses is at stake.

What they are proposing is that the $1trn bill go through, and that the additional $3trn be voted on separately. Pelosi and the Squad don't want that because they know that the $3trn won't pass on its own.
    So you'd think passing incredibly popular legislation that has bipartisan support amongst the electorate would be the smart play but no, apparently appeali g to a group of mythical "fiscally responsible" voters who don't exist is what needs to be done
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

DougSeal said:

Looks like up 3k to me comparing England cases declared 22nd vs 15th.
    The regional variations are interesting - the south-west getting some heavy gap filling.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

There are hints that the Taliban leadership are getting pretty frustrated by the scenes at the airport and wider Western evacuation action. Theyve sent some of ther best to the airport approaches to try to shore things up but the unfolding mess there is a problem for them too.

Their problems trying to govern the country are only just beginning.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Your earlier post said exactly that. In reply to a comment saying being vaccinated "overwhelmingly stops you ending up in hospital or dying of it", you replied saying that it doesn't.
    Its probably 'overwhelming' if you are an old or vulnerable person, sure, but if you are a young person having a vaccine is of no consequence whatever. You would not be in hospital or die whether you had a vaccine or not. Why? because you are young and healthy.
  • Options

FWIW I think Boris, and Raab took his lead from him, did fanny about but I don't expect a single blow to land on them over Afghanistan because everyone knows the UK was simply rowing in behind US policy on it - and we had no choice.

A better criticism would be why Boris didn't influence Biden better as Cameron did over a decidedly sceptical Obama over Libya in 2011.

Cos he ain't no Churchill.....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,798
    edited August 2021

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Ahem. This was my hospital last Friday, with ambulances unable to offload.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1428777425731825670?s=19

• Options
    Alistair said:

Surely he can get some refusenik repubs on board?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

I see imbecilic political slogan is trending. Wait till Tony hears about 45 minutes from destruction and where that led us.

The closer our politicians have been to the Afghanistan escapade - whether as instigators, supporters, or past participants - the more virulent the language they are using to criticise the current day withdrawal.

They might want you to think that this is merely because the withdrawal has undone all their purported good work.

But the truth is that it is having the futility and pointlessness of everything that has gone before so brutally exposed, that they are finding especially difficult to bear.
    Aye.
    Have any of the prominent early C21st warmongers done a mea culpa, or is it at best 'it was the right thing to do imperfectly carried out'? I think even Christopher Hitchens (for whom I have a regard) stuck with it to the end.
    I'd say there's a certain type of ultra muscular, liberal intellectual bruiser whose disdain for the primitive beliefs and rituals of organized religion - and esp Islam - is very very strong. Strong enough to drive many of their positions. Hitchens in his later years seemed more animated by this, his atheism, his alliance with Dawkins, than by any of his old trad left, capitalist skeptic thinking. That seemed to have largely faded.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

It is a masterpiece of nuttery. "nurses-paramedics-and-midwives" - why no hospital porters? chiropodists? dental technicians? Even the actual doctors there are retired spinal surgeons, psychatrists, and comedians like one Orthopaedic Consultant & Lifestyle Medicine Physician.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

It is a masterpiece of nuttery. "nurses-paramedics-and-midwives" - why no hospital porters? chiropodists? dental technicians? Even the actual doctors there are retired spinal surgeons, psychatrists, and comedians like one Orthopaedic Consultant & Lifestyle Medicine Physician.
    I warned you. The doctors involved have not been approved by expert doctor vetters on twitter and PB and so you can safely ignore.

Only engage with the opinions of those medical professionals approved by Sky News and the BBC, such as Christina Pagel and Susan Michie. And that bloke Edmunds who forecast 200,000 cases.

That way, you will be safe. These are the experts and its their narrative that counts.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Its probably 'overwhelming' if you are an old or vulnerable person, sure, but if you are a young person having a vaccine is of no consequence whatever. You would not be in hospital or die whether you had a vaccine or not. Why? because you are young and healthy.
    That is totally wrong, complete bollocks. Vaccination dramatically reduces the risk of hospitalisation in *all* age groups.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

That is totally wrong, complete bollocks. Vaccination dramatically reduces the risk of hospitalisation in *all* age groups.
    I do not see how you could possibly claim that, given that healthy people under 16 have not even been vaccinated. and medical professionals are not even sure if they should be. They only u-turned on 16 and 17-year olds recently. Healthy young people simply do not suffer much from covid.

Hence the claim that the young are being used as a human shield for the old.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I was at medical school with one of them. She was quite sane then, though I most remember her for her black plastic mac, like something from a fetish shop. Fond memories!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

I do not see how you could possibly claim that, given that healthy people under 16 have not even been vaccinated. and medical professionals are not even sure if they should be. They only u-turned on 16 and 17-year olds recently. Healthy young people simply do not suffer much from covid.

Because I'm looking at actual statistics? And seriously, are you really saying the claim is invalid because it hasn't been tested on under 16 year olds. What about the vast majority of the population older than that?

Here's a graphic showing the effect of vaccination, even as young as 25-34 the effect is profound.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/files/2021/05/image1.png
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

No I am proposing permanent liberty and freedom, you know, that situation that last from 1945 to March 2020....?

Quarantine and vaccinate the sick and vulnerable. Let healthy people live their lives.

A statement that only makes sense if you are claiming that vaccinations are somehow infringing your liberty.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

This is true La La land stuff. Israel says that for the healthy under 60s, being vaccinated slightly better than halves the risk of hospitalisation. Are they lying about this?
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

A statement that only makes sense if you are claiming that vaccinations are somehow infringing your liberty.
    The absolutely aren't. But the choice of vaccination or lockdown definitely is.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I warned you. The doctors involved have not been approved by expert doctor vetters on twitter and PB and so you can safely ignore.

Only engage with the opinions of those medical professionals approved by Sky News and the BBC, such as Christina Pagel and Susan Michie. And that bloke Edmunds who forecast 200,000 cases.

That way, you will be safe. These are the experts and its their narrative that counts.
    Well, yes. They are virologists and epidemiologists speaking on issues of virology and epidemiology. Experts.

As I believe I have already warned you, satire is not as easy as it looks.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Pedantic point: the act requiring people to carry ID cards in the Uk was only repeated in 1952.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    edited August 2021
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Bit cheeky to ignore half the survey - in terms of people who think lockdowns work they're very much in the bottom half of the western european countries there.
    Erm no.

One graph is of those who think lockdowns don't work (do more harm than good) - in Sweden that number is 15%, 3rd from bottom . The other graph is those who think the Covid risks are overstated - in Sweden that number is 14% - the lowest out of those polled.

Neither shows them in the bottom half of those thinking lockdowns don't work. Exactly the reverse in fact.
    Err no, I'm not referring to the 2nd table at all. The first table includes the number who think Lockdowns work as well as the number who think they don't work (and those who think they make no difference).

Sweden is pretty near table topping in thinking lockdowns are net neutral, and the number of positives is lower than most of Western Europe - you're basing a conclusion on 1/3rd of the data presented when the rest does not agree.
    That is cherry picking of the very worst kind.

First you take a subset of the group and look only at Western European Countries. Then you try and limit the 'think they work' to those who only think they do more good than harm when the two points are not comparable. There may be many amongst the 'Do both equally' who think they work but are not sure the social consequences are worth it.

You have basically drawn an unsustainable conclusion from a partial reading of the data and used that to justify an unsupportable statement.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Foxy said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Looking at the UK dashboard high cases and low vaccination rates there is a fair correlation, Nottingham, Coventry, Leicester, Peterborough. Birmingham is currently the exception in the Midlands.
  • Options

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

The absolutely aren't. But the choice of vaccination or lockdown definitely is.
    "But your honour, giving me the choice between drinking and driving or going to gaol is infringing my liberties."
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Because I'm looking at actual statistics? And seriously, are you really saying the claim is invalid because it hasn't been tested on under 16 year olds. What about the vast majority of the population older than that?

Here's a graphic showing the effect of vaccination, even as young as 25-34 the effect is profound.

Those are not statistics those are projections. But it is interesting, isn't it, that hospitalisations are much higher post vaccination than they were pre-vaccination on the same day last year, as the maths guy pointed out?

Yes we have delta now, and yes, the numbers would be much higher without vaccination. But you cannot prove the extent of the impact because we have no test experiment in the UK with lower vaxx rates.

What we do have is a test experiment in the US with delta versus lower vaxx rates. I am have not had a look at those in a while, but I did read that whilst some lo vaxx states were undoubtedly struggling, so were some high vaxx states (eg Hawaii). I also read that Israel is struggling, even though they are quite high vaxx.

• Options
    edited August 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Those are not statistics those are projections. But it is interesting, isn't it, that hospitalisations are much higher post vaccination than they were pre-vaccination on the same day last year, as the maths guy pointed out?

Yes we have delta now, and yes, the numbers would be much higher without vaccination. But you cannot prove that because we have no test experiment in the UK with lower vaxx rates.

What we do have is a test experiment in the US with delta versus lower vaxx rates. I am have not had a look at those in a while, but I did read that whilst some lo vaxx states were struggling, so were some high vaxx states.
    You can't be serious? What do you think this is based on?

And no, comparing two rates on two arbitrary dates really isn't interesting.
  • Options
    A mosque manager who sparked fury among worshippers after he shared a social media post that appeared to support the Taliban has been issued with a warning by police.

Saddique Hussain, general manager of Central Jamia Mosque Ghamkol Sharif in Small Heath, Birmingham, was quizzed by officers after he shared a video showing an armed group of Taliban leaders in Kabul on his Facebook page.

The post has now been removed and the mosque manager has issued a full apology for any offence caused.

Mr Hussain said he 'does not and never has supported the Taliban' and 'should have thought before he shared the post'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9916539/Police-quiz-manager-Birmingham-mosque.html
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

Australia / NZ: very low rate of vaccination, very intrusive level of non pharmaceutical interventions.

UK: very high level of vaccination, relatively unintrusive level of NPI.

Go on, show you have the intellectual flexibility to admit you were wrong on this one, whatever your view of lockdowns.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

A mosque manager who sparked fury among worshippers after he shared a social media post that appeared to support the Taliban has been issued with a warning by police.

Saddique Hussain, general manager of Central Jamia Mosque Ghamkol Sharif in Small Heath, Birmingham, was quizzed by officers after he shared a video showing an armed group of Taliban leaders in Kabul on his Facebook page.

The post has now been removed and the mosque manager has issued a full apology for any offence caused.

Mr Hussain said he 'does not and never has supported the Taliban' and 'should have thought before he shared the post'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9916539/Police-quiz-manager-Birmingham-mosque.html

what exactly is his crime?
  • Options

As I say, you can disregard them in favour of TSE approved professionals.
    I choose to disregard them in favour of the other 594,867 who chose not to sign the letter.

Actually by the way a good 10 or 15 of those signatories are retired so if I were to include al the retired medical professionals who chose not to sign the letter the numbers would be even more stark. I consider these signatories to be in a similar vein to the former Dr Andrew Wakefield.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    kinabalu said:

Plus @Stuart_Dickson !
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    Foxy said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

That's about 0.5% of all hospital beds in the UK - occupied in a single day. And that's if you include all the mental health beds, children's wards etc.

Or 25% of al the critical care beds in the UK. In a single day.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Well, yes. They are virologists and epidemiologists speaking on issues of virology and epidemiology. Experts.

Neither Michie nor Pagel is a virus expert or an epidemiologist. Neither for that matter is David King, Steve Reicher or Kit Yates. All the leading lights of iSAGE.
  • Options
    The FDA is urging people to stop taking veterinary drugs to treat or prevent Covid-19 after receiving multiple reports of patients who have been hospitalized after "self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses," the FDA says.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1429432187523305472?s=20
  • Options

The FDA is urging people to stop taking veterinary drugs to treat or prevent Covid-19 after receiving multiple reports of patients who have been hospitalized after "self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses," the FDA says.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1429432187523305472?s=20

It's a step up from bleach.

• Options

Close correlation to those numbers and vaccination per country.

There’s a pretty strong East-West component too.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

”As things currently stand, the evidence strongly suggests that Covid-19 arose after a natural spillover event, but nobody is yet in a position to rule out an alternative,” he said.

This point is backed by Professor James Wood, of Cambridge University. “I think there is very strong evidence for this being caused by natural spillovers but that argument simply does not suit some political groups. They promote the idea that Covid-19 was caused by a lab leak because such a claim deflects attention from increasing evidence that indicates biodiversity loss, deforestation and wildlife trade – which increase the dangers of natural spillovers – are the real dangers that we face from pandemics.”

In other words, fiddling with viruses in laboratories is not the dangerous activity. The real threat comes from the wildlife trade, bulldozing rainforests and clearing wildernesses to provide land for farms and to gain access to mines. As vegetation and wildlife are destroyed, countless species of viruses and the bacteria they host are set loose to seek new hosts, such as humans and domestic livestock. This has happened with HIV, Sars and very probably Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/22/the-wuhan-lab-leak-theory-is-more-about-politics-than-science

What is the “strong evidence” that he refers to of a natural spillover?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Neither Michie nor Pagel is a virus expert or an epidemiologist. Neither for that matter is David King, Steve Reicher or Kit Yates. All the leading lights of iSAGE.
    So ignore them. Why do they add credibility to the Consultant in Contraception and Reproductive Health, Consultant Radiologist, Community Mental Health Nurse and all the retired anaesthetists on contrarian's list?
  • Options
    Picking two Arsenal defenders in my fantasy football team may not have been my cleverest move.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

So ignore them. Why do they add credibility to the Consultant in Contraception and Reproductive Health, Consultant Radiologist, Community Mental Health Nurse and all the retired anaesthetists on contrarian's list?
    The corona centrists, who chart a middle ground between the Contrarians and the iSAGEs of the world, are the only ones to listen to.
  • Options

Picking two Arsenal defenders in my fantasy football team may not have been my cleverest move.

Picking ANY Arsenal players in your fantasy football team may not be cleverest move....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I was just making the point that although they seem to be 'goto' for the media none of the people mentioned except Edmunds is a virologist or epidemiologist.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver

1. It would be genuinely surprising if vaccination cut hospital risk for all other groups other than the under 16s.

2. In the US and in most other European countries, under 16s are being vaccinated.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,294
    edited August 2021

what exactly is his crime?
    The article says that there were no criminal offences but the police still warned the man.

What a country this is.
  • Options
    Was thinking about Iraq. The wrong war at the wrong time. What if it was the right war at the wrong time? Bush 1 had a global coalition lined up with the wind of morality behind them, Saddam having just invaded Kuwait. One wonders what might have happened had they pushed onto Baghdad and what state Iraq would be in now.
  • Options
    I was led to understand that Arsenal have a defence? Are we going to see it today?
  • Options
    Leon it's news when you're not drunk, there's no point posting that you are
  • Options

Picking ANY Arsenal players in your fantasy football team may not be cleverest move....
    Yeah.

Still it gets easier for Arsenal, they play Man City away next weekend.

They are going to be bottom of the league with zero points going into the international break aren't they?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MarkJSmithonMSN/status/1429474456066535426

Non-existent party, wrong party, genuinely amazing
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I was just making the point that although they seem to be 'goto' for the media none of the people mentioned except Edmunds is a virologist or epidemiologist.
    Yes, fair point.
  • Options
    Arsenal are having a go here but it’s like they’ve only just been introduced to one another
  • Options

Yeah.

They are going to be bottom of the league with zero points going into the international break aren't they?
    Squad full of anti vaxxers getting what they deserve.
  • Options

Yeah.

Chelsea are going to win the League. 3.85 on BFx looks good value.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Yeah.

Yes, Norwich at home is probably their first chance to get a point (though loads of people assumed they'd beat Brentford so who knows). They'll definitely be bottom though.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Yeah.

Yup, ditto Newcastle.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

”As things currently stand, the evidence strongly suggests that Covid-19 arose after a natural spillover event, but nobody is yet in a position to rule out an alternative,” he said.

This point is backed by Professor James Wood, of Cambridge University. “I think there is very strong evidence for this being caused by natural spillovers but that argument simply does not suit some political groups. They promote the idea that Covid-19 was caused by a lab leak because such a claim deflects attention from increasing evidence that indicates biodiversity loss, deforestation and wildlife trade – which increase the dangers of natural spillovers – are the real dangers that we face from pandemics.”

In other words, fiddling with viruses in laboratories is not the dangerous activity. The real threat comes from the wildlife trade, bulldozing rainforests and clearing wildernesses to provide land for farms and to gain access to mines. As vegetation and wildlife are destroyed, countless species of viruses and the bacteria they host are set loose to seek new hosts, such as humans and domestic livestock. This has happened with HIV, Sars and very probably Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/22/the-wuhan-lab-leak-theory-is-more-about-politics-than-science

A typical Cambridge and the Guardian scientist: goes straight to: Which theory sends the right kind of political message? rather than, Which theory is true? This is the legacy of 20 years of scientists not being sufficiently confident that global warming would actually make itself manifest, and therefore thinking they had to lie about the evidence to be on the safe side.

Yes, I read that article and felt similarly. It is abundantly clear the evidence now points heavily to lab leak, everybody knows this. Yet that same Guardian journalist has been writing anti-lab-leak articles for 16 months, and quoting the same anti-lab-leak scientists. He can’t just turn around and say Sorry that was all shit, we were all wrong

It throbs with nostalgic regret and denial, and, even as the fire dies out, a desperate attempt at rekindling the embers.

And then at the end, an attempt to rewrite inevitable history: even if it did come from the lab (oh god it didn’t, did it??) this is all about our bad treatment of animals, nothing to do with science
    It’s a bad article.

But it is a fair point that co-mingling of human and animal populations in close proximity (eg house chickens in turkey) results in increased risk of zoonotic episodes
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

Dems are probably going to lose the house almost regardless of what they do in office - good or bad. They all need to work on that basis.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yeah.

Yup, the moment they signed Lukaku it seemed clear.

I ended backing Lukaku and Salah as top goalscorers this season.

Ings is 20, might be worth as a trading bet.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    moonshine said:

Yeah.

Is that the new terrance chant....your just a team full of wankers antivaxxers....team full of wankers antivaxxers.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.....antivaxxer.....
  • Options

moonshine said:

Yeah.

Is that the new terrance chant....your just a team full of wankers antivaxxers....team full of wankers antivaxxers.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.....antivaxxer.....
    Every passing season shows how much of a genius Arsene Wenger was.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Foxy said:

Yeah.

Yup, the moment they signed Lukaku it seemed clear.

I ended backing Lukaku and Salah as top goalscorers this season.

Ings is 20, might be worth as a trading bet.
    Stunning goal by Ings yesterday. Smart bit of business....
  • Options

https://twitter.com/MarkJSmithonMSN/status/1429474456066535426

Non-existent party, wrong party, genuinely amazing

Who knows, this might be some profound statement about Merkel's policies?
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

Yikes!

Mustn't grumble. Made me chuckle. Such a quintessentially British approach. Don't hear that phrase at all Stateside.

PS Question for the PB brains trust: Is "musn't grumble" an oxymoron?
    It’s a self-admonition surely?

You recognise you are grumbling and tell yourself off for it
  • Options
    SAS hacker squad's cover is blown... by a job advert: Special Forces pull listing for £33,000-a-year role to work for secretive Computer Network Operations Exploitation Unit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9915117/SAS-hacker-squads-cover-blown-job-advert.html

£33k a year, you aren't exactly going to get the best and the brightest at that level of pay!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    It is looking like everyone with Covid has gone on holiday in the SW.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,063

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Yikes!

Mrs U worked down there for a while. There are worse places to have to spend some time.
    Had one of my best ever meals there in 1988, Tuna steaks and the key lime pie was brilliant. Watched the sun going down , was brilliant. Sure it will be a lot more commercial nowadays mind you.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

It is looking like everyone with Covid has gone on holiday in the SW.....

I am surprised the Cornish separatists aren't manning with the border to keep the grockles out.
This discussion has been closed.