Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Another post-BoJo quarantine U-turn poll sees CON below 40% and LAB within 4% – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2021 in General
imageAnother post-BoJo quarantine U-turn poll sees CON below 40% and LAB within 4% – politicalbetting.com

Over the seventeen years since PB was established, we have had many polling shocks and the general approach when one firm reports what appears to be a shift is to state that we ought to wait to see if other firms find a similar picture.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Mike
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,962
    edited July 2021
    Genuine first, once the person with inside knowledge about publication of this thread is disqualified.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    That makes me 2nd then
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,247
    Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

Where are these empty shelves?!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    SLab within MoE of SCon: 19 v 21.
  • Polling parity soon!
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Boris Johnson's behaviour finally catching up with him. The sooner the Tories replace him the better.
    I've been on holiday for the last week but someone did message me the other day and said Boris Johnson's decision to ignore the ping then deny it was a bit like Gordon Brown denying he had planned to call a snap election in 2007.

Don't take the piss with the voters is the message.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

BoZo has been taking the piss for years.

They love him for it.
    Grn within MoE of LD: 8 v 9.

SLab within MoE of SCon: 19 v 21.

Don't talk rubbish, the MOE on a sub sample of 143 is 8.2.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,765
    Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    There is definitely a shift but it does not seem epochal to me

WILD PREDICTION - voters will soon forget Boris's tin-eared not-gonna-isolate idiocy, and the Tory lead will expand again, because the fundamentals have not changed. Labour have a boring leader with no policies, the Tories are doling out money.

It will take more than one fuck up to shift the mood decisively, we've seen that from other fuck ups.

If lockdown is brought back, and Freedom Day is seen as an error, that could easily do it
    Scott_xP said:

They love him for it.
    It is a cumulative thing.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Aslan said:

Boris Johnson's behaviour finally catching up with him.

Maybe. But if the lead rebounds will it mean it isn't?

I've been on holiday for the last week but someone did message me the other day and said Boris Johnson's decision to ignore the ping then deny it was a bit like Gordon Brown denying he had planned to call a snap election in 2007.

Brown chickened out of the snap election in 2007 after seeing the polling from Scotland
    Scott_xP said:

They love him for it.
    How much piss and how it is taken matters though. Politicians sometimes take crap for little things over far more important things.
    kle4 said:

Aslan said:

Actually do expect things to rebound for him pretty quickly.

If the cases numbers head the way they are then he's going to get a boost for opening on July 19th against all the naysayers.
    edited July 2021

Brown chickened out of the snap election in 2007 after seeing the polling from Scotland
    Wrong, it was the polling from middle England, they loved Dave and George's IHT plans.

Must annoy you that Scotland was the only place in the UK that saw Labour's vote share go up in 2010.

Polling parity soon!

LIke November-January when the average was very close together?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Genuine blip I think. Many people think the restrictions should still be there.

This is the most politically difficult time of the whole pandemic. The government can do little more on vaccines, and now need to carefully navigate the balance between economic damage and public health. They’re probably a week or two ahead of the people in this regard, but if Europe and the US have to start re-introducing restrictions as UK case numbers drop, then we’ll be back to 10 point leads.

At some point, the opposition are going to have to say what they’re for, rather than simply what they’re against. Last time the government fell, in 2019, the same party picked up and pushed forward under a new leader. Who’s to say that can’t happen again?
    Leon said:

WILD PREDICTION - voters will soon forget Boris's tin-eared not-gonna-isolate idiocy, and the Tory lead will expand again, because the fundamentals have not changed. Labour have a boring leader with no policies, the Tories are doling out money.

It will take more than one fuck up to shift the mood decisively, we've seen that from other fuck ups.

If lockdown is brought back, and Freedom Day is seen as an error, that could easily do it

Much more significantly we will have falling numbers of cases, fewer people in hospital, fewer deaths, the end of the pingdemic, rapidly rising employment, record growth, rapidly rising wages, lots of stories of new investments and factories and a surprisingly cheerful budget. Any government is going to thrive against such a background.

kle4 said:

Aslan said:

If the cases numbers head the way they are then he's going to get a boost for opening on July 19th against all the naysayers.
    I feel like the fact most people poll as more cautious than the government has been overblown a bit in terms of significance, for that reason. Sure, many are nervous, but if the opening doesn't lead to crisis then people won't hold it against the government, and as you say would then get a boost.

Wrong, it was the polling from middle England, they loved Dave and George's IHT plans.

Must annoy you that Scotland was the only place in the UK that saw Labour's vote share go up in 2010.
    Oh, I forgot my place. Tugs forelock. Of course England is much, much, much more important than Scotchland. I’ll never make that mistake again Sir.

You have a very bizarre concept of what “annoys” people. Psychological projection.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited July 2021
    The odd thing is that the isolating bollox was invented to benefit Gove.

And it worked.

I can easily imagine the government patting themselves on the back about that and thinking they'd discovered an easy get out of any inconvenience.

But like a clever dick penalty the risk of disaster is always there.

So while the government thought it was doing a Panenka instead it was a Lineker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-Nkc8-Kig
    Leon said:

There have been so many tales of Brexit and Covid related empty shelves these past 5 years I lose count. I couldn’t see anything missing in my out of the way village Co-Op down here in deepest East Kent. Similarly the posh farm shop. Maybe it will happen but there’s a lot of wolf crying at the moment,

No, Scotland was the only part of the U.K. where Labour’s vote share went up in 2010 IIRC.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

The loss of the big Camden Morrisons is keenly felt. Used to be able to park up for 2 hours totally free, just get a packet of fags and a tinny, and go hang out by the lock for ... well for just under 2 hours. Pretty unique loophole now closed.
    Leon said:

Wild predictions? You? Of all people?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Nah, in his head the whole world revolves around Scotland.

Oh, I forgot my place. Tugs forelock. Of course England is much, much, much more important than Scotchland. I’ll never make that mistake again Sir.

You have a very bizarre concept of what “annoys” people. Psychological projection.
    Go find yourself another grievance.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

There have been so many tales of Brexit and Covid related empty shelves these past 5 years I lose count. I couldn’t see anything missing in my out of the way village Co-Op down here in deepest East Kent. Similarly the posh farm shop. Maybe it will happen but there’s a lot of wolf crying at the moment,
    There’s possibly some line item shortages around, and possibly a few outlets with larger problems of missed deliveries, but the issues that do exist are being massively amplified by anti-government partisans on Twitter.

Simple maths.

England 529 seats

Scotland 59 seats.
    DougSeal said:

No, Scotland was the only part of the U.K. where Labour’s vote share went up in 2010 IIRC.
    I wrote 2007, but your brain read 2010. Fascinating.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

It must eat away at you that your fellow countrymen bottled it in 2014.
    Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

There’s possibly some line item shortages around, and possibly a few outlets with larger problems of missed deliveries, but the issues that do exist are being massively amplified by anti-government partisans on Twitter.
    As an anti-government partisan myself it does my head in that we have not learned that these exaggerated tales of catastrophe on Twitter do not work. 2016 should have taught us that. It’s so annoying.

Simple maths.

England 529 seats

Scotland 59 seats.
    Yes, of course you’re correct: might is right.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,917
    Broken, sleazy Tories on the slide?
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Aslan said:

I feel like the fact most people poll as more cautious than the government has been overblown a bit in terms of significance, for that reason. Sure, many are nervous, but if the opening doesn't lead to crisis then people won't hold it against the government, and as you say would then get a boost.
    I spent most of the last week in Brighton, you could steadily see masks and social distancing getting less adhered to over the week.
  • How much better we would have been if Brown had called that election. Underrated PM
    DougSeal said:

Yet more disingenuous shit stirring. You’ve got a wee obsession.

DougSeal said:

I wrote 2007, but your brain read 2010. Fascinating.
    You are a nasty piece of work aren’t you. The point I made was a straightforward point about what happened when the next election did happen. But of course I’m English. Inferior to your superior Scottishness in every way. It’s Scotland’s world, we just live in it.

DougSeal said:

Thanks for letting me live rent free in your head. There’s plenty of space in here.
    MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Thanks for letting me live rent free in your head. There’s plenty of space in here.
    Point proven. Thank you.
    Can any of our Nat friends talk us through this exposition of the currency issue in indy Scotland?

This guy, a professional, er, mapmaker - but also "Convener of the Scottish Currency Group", has handily sketched out how the new Scottish pound will be established, and how the move from sterling will work. It includes gems like this:

https://twitter.com/RideoutTim/status/1418627474175533059?s=20

"Your bank will contact you near the time and ask if you would like to re-mortgage into the S£, or take out new S£ credit cards and loans. The banks, Scottish Government and the Scottish Reserve Bank will run an information campaign."

So that's a doddle then. As someone on Twitter points out, there are 900,000 Scottish mortgage holders who need to be "contacted" and given advice on "remortgaging into the S£."

That's quite a long chat. Say two hours per mortgage?

900,000 x 2 hours is 1.8m hours which is 200 years, add in working hours and holidays it's more like 800-1000 years. If the banks get it together and have 100 dedicated teams working flat out on just this, day in day out, they could easily get in done in eight decades

How much better we would have been if Brown had called that election. Underrated PM

He'd have lost it, well the Labour majority.

I've gotten to know very well people who worked for both the Tories and Labour from that era, they reckon the result would have lost Blair's majority, and he'd have had an impossible result.

Either the Tories as the largest party, or the Tories win the popular vote quite easily, but the possibility of a Lab/LD/Rainbow Alliance which most of the rainbow alliance would avoid on democratic grounds in the way John Reid and David Blunkett and others told Labour to avoid.

So we'd have had a Labour minority government at worse, when the credit crunch happened, then it might be 1931 all over again.

Simple maths.

England 529 seats

Scotland 59 seats.
    England 533 seats.

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    What next. DNA tests?
    Leon said:

Can any of our Nat friends talk us through this exposition of the currency issue in indy Scotland?

This guy, a professional, er, mapmaker - but also "Convener of the Scottish Currency Group", has handily sketched out how the new Scottish pound will be established, and how the move from sterling will work. It includes gems like this:

"Your bank will contact you near the time and ask if you would like to re-mortgage into the S£, or take out new S£ credit cards and loans. The banks, Scottish Government and the Scottish Reserve Bank will run an information campaign."

So that's a doddle then. As someone on Twitter points out, there are 900,000 Scottish mortgage holders who need to be "contacted" and given advice on "remortgaging into the S£."

900,000 x 2 hours is 1.8m hours which is 200 years, add in working hours and holidays it's more like 800-1000 years. If the banks get it together and have 100 dedicated teams working flat out on just this, day in day out, they could easily get in done in eight decades

That spiel is pretty much a copy n paste of a SeanT post in 2013. All doubt removed.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

So you don't consider people who have moved to Scotland your fellow countrymen?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Leon said:

What kind of a barbarian buys ready flaked Parmesan?
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The loss of the big Camden Morrisons is keenly felt. Used to be able to park up for 2 hours totally free, just get a packet of fags and a tinny, and go hang out by the lock for ... well for just under 2 hours. Pretty unique loophole now closed.
    it hasn't gone forever. There's a new temporary version next door as they remake the old one. I liked it for the petrol station. There are very few around here, so it was handy

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

LOL.

They also reveal that Scotland did not decide to stay because of Unionist promises of extra powers, as claimed by Alex Salmond, the former first minister. The majority of voters who backed the No campaign did so because they felt British, because too many of their questions went unanswered and because they believed that independence would leave Scotland worse off economically.

The research demonstrates that “yes” voters — who cite the “Vow” and a bias in the press as the reasons they lost the vote — fundamentally misunderstand the motivations of those on the other side of the debate.
  • In defence of Waitrose, it's the only supermarket where I can find the crucial ingredient for making proper carbonara: guanciale. It's a very fatty cheek bacon and its high fat content makes a far better sauce than any other bacon or pancetta.

The only other ingredients are pasta, egg yolks, pecorino cheese (not parmesan), black pepper and a pinch of salt in the pasta water.

Definitely no cream.

Ingredients for this recipe for 4 costs about six quid at Waitrose
    https://www.eatalianwithroberto.com/real-carbonara-recipe/

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

No 55%
    Yes 45%

:innocent:
    Leon said:

That’s hillarious. It’ll be savings redenominated automatically into Groats, and mortgages kept in Sterling - unless they want to see what happens when hundreds of billions of Groats get sold to buy Sterling on I-Day?
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

They might, in fairness, shorten the process by speaking to the lenders of those 900k mortgages and ask them if they want to be paid back in S£ or Sterling. That might make the 900k discussions somewhat irrelevant.

Edit and oh, by the way, we don't have a Scottish reserve bank. Or any reserves to put in it.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Point proven. Thank you.
    I don’t think what I said means what you think it does. Still, if it makes you happy, seems like very little does.

Leon said:

That spiel is pretty much a copy n paste of a SeanT post in 2013. All doubt removed.
    But is this the new SNP currency position? That's what I want to know

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

LOL.

They also reveal that Scotland did not decide to stay because of Unionist promises of extra powers, as claimed by Alex Salmond, the former first minister. The majority of voters who backed the No campaign did so because they felt British, because too many of their questions went unanswered and because they believed that independence would leave Scotland worse off economically.

The research demonstrates that “yes” voters — who cite the “Vow” and a bias in the press as the reasons they lost the vote — fundamentally misunderstand the motivations of those on the other side of the debate.
    Sounds like the Remoaners, ascribing motivation to those who voted for Brexit.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited July 2021
    Taking an average of recent polls, the Tories are down quite a bit but Labour are only up slightly. The bottom two polls on the list have Lab on 34% and 35%, exactly the same as the two new ones.
  • So a bit of fun, what will Opinium say for the headline percentages? Get your predictions in early

In defence of Waitrose, it's the only supermarket where I can find the crucial ingredient for making proper carbonara: guanciale. It's a very fatty cheek bacon and its high fat content makes a far better sauce than any other bacon or pancetta.

The only other ingredients are pasta, egg yolks, pecorino cheese (not parmesan), black pepper and a pinch of salt in the pasta water.

Definitely no cream.

Any post that begins “In defence of Waitrose…” gets my vote.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

That’s hillarious. It’ll be savings redenominated automatically into Groats, and mortgages kept in Sterling - unless they want to see what happens when hundreds of billions of Groats get sold to buy Sterling on I-Day?
    This guy is rightly getting ripped apart on Twitter. Is he freelancing or is it actual SNP policy in formation?

Either way the SNP can't be happy about it. No doubt they are having a stern word with him now, if not they should be. Makes them look utterly clownish
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Full recovery from Covid a week after testing positive.

Symptoms were very mild, thanks to amazing vaccines.

Please - if you haven’t yet - get your jab, as we learn to live with, rather than cower from, this virus.

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=20
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,084
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

How are the Grand Union Walk Grimshaw houses down the back of the Sainsbury's looking these days?
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

What next. DNA tests?
    It’s the Conservatives who wants the DNA tests.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/scottish-independence-scots-living-in-rest-of-uk-should-be-allowed-to-vote-in-any-future-referendum-alastair-stewart-3288715

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited July 2021
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

They might, in fairness, shorten the process by speaking to the lenders of those 900k mortgages and ask them if they want to be paid back in S£ or Sterling. That might make the 900k discussions somewhat irrelevant.

Edit and oh, by the way, we don't have a Scottish reserve bank. Or any reserves to put in it.
    Why would a bank offer the chance to redominate a loan into a different currency?

Remember most mortgages nowadays have been sold as a securtised asset to a pension fund or other investment fund
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    On £30 wagyu steaks. I shall later be barbecuing a £32 secreto cut of iberico. Have never tried before but I am told by a Spanish mate there’s simply nothing better to cook over the coals. Sea salt, a grind of paper, searing temperature… I shall report back, if I haven’t slipped into a meat coma by then.
    It's funny, the way Stuart Dickson describes what counts as his fellow countrymen is the way some on the far right say my family cannot be British.

Curious.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

So those living in Scotland but not born there aren't your Countrymen? Nice.

Should those born in Scotland but living in England get a vote then?

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

Sounds like bloody and soil nationalism from you.

Civic and joyous Scottish Nationalism is just rubbish.
    Says the civil, joyous British Nationalist.
    Some more gems

"If I re-mortgage how does this work?
    You are best to ask your bank to do this during the Exchange Period, the first two months or so. That will avoid you having any currency fees to pay or any risk from exchange rate changes."

"After you instruct your bank to arrange an S£ mortgage you will complete the standard process of selecting a mortgage (fixed term, tracker, etc), an updated valuation if required and the legal paperwork. On the date agreed with your bank they will release the S£ funds."

900,000 mortgages calmly switching over "in the first two months". "Or so".

Luckily this process will avoid "any risk from exchange rate changes"

Full recovery from Covid a week after testing positive.

Symptoms were very mild, thanks to amazing vaccines.

Please - if you haven’t yet - get your jab, as we learn to live with, rather than cower from, this virus.

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=20

As Francois Balloux said in the Tweet I quoted from earlier, we’re all going to get this, vaccines are just going to stop you getting it that badly.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

it hasn't gone forever. There's a new temporary version next door as they remake the old one. I liked it for the petrol station. There are very few around here, so it was handy
    Yes but the big free carpark isn't coming back. Flats.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145

DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

What next. DNA tests?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/scottish-independence-scots-living-in-rest-of-uk-should-be-allowed-to-vote-in-any-future-referendum-alastair-stewart-3288715

I do remembner Mr Cameron going on and on about blood in 2014 - how people like him should be remembered. Indeed if we are talking about blood and soil I recall that he spoke about how the sacrifices of the dead of the Somme demanded a No vote (and even then I don't think many on PB realised what a dog-whistle that was in Glasgow, where he was speaking).
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

How are the Grand Union Walk Grimshaw houses down the back of the Sainsbury's looking these days?
    Actually OK. They are well maintained. And at night they are beautifully lit up in multiple colours, which reflect off the canal

Still not sure I'd like to live in one - tiny windows?! - but they are certainly not slums

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

If they embrace their new country: yes.

If they don’t: no.

That’s how most nations on the planet work.

In defence of Waitrose, it's the only supermarket where I can find the crucial ingredient for making proper carbonara: guanciale. It's a very fatty cheek bacon and its high fat content makes a far better sauce than any other bacon or pancetta.

Definitely no cream.

That sounds great. I don't like spaghetti so I'd have it with chips. What's your view on that?

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

Our PBTories do find it hard to grasp the fact that the biggest ethnic minority group in the SNP is the English.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Car parks are an abomination. A blight on any city. Huge ugly blocks of land dedicated to storing transport. They could be housing, or garden squares, or parks, or happy playgrounds. I yearn for the day we can get rid of all of them

DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

What next. DNA tests?

And, by implication, you. Maybe stick to the line that people who live in Scotland should be regarded as your “fellow countrymen” if you want to make a convincing case that this oxymoronic “civic nationalism” is actually a thing, eh?

Leon said:

What kind of a barbarian buys ready flaked Parmesan?
    Ought Sean to consider barbarians to be his fellow countrymen?
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Car parks are an abomination. A blight on any city. Huge ugly blocks of land dedicated to storing transport. They could be housing, or garden squares, or parks, or happy playgrounds. I yearn for the day we can get rid of all of them
    Lyrical.

And a good point.
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Why would a bank offer the chance to redominate a loan into a different currency?

Remember most mortgages nowadays have been sold as a securtised asset to a pension fund or other investment fund
    Exactly, there is absolutely no chance they would agree to the switch so it wouldn't matter what the borrowers thought. If they tried to make the transfer a matter of statute then the Banks would sue the Scottish government because the value of their assets would have been reduced by something like 20% in breach of Article 1 protocol 1 of the ECHR. It is utter madness by people who are so economically illiterate that they make Nicola look credible.

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

You are Swedish/Scottish Enoch Powell.

You've exposed your vileness.

It's funny, the way Stuart Dickson describes what counts as his fellow countrymen is the way some on the far right say my family cannot be British.

Curious.

He needs to keep his mask on tighter.
    edited July 2021

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

What do you consider sufficient embracing?

Genuine question, I don't know how the line would be drawn.
    Leon said:

Some more gems

"If I re-mortgage how does this work?
    You are best to ask your bank to do this during the Exchange Period, the first two months or so. That will avoid you having any currency fees to pay or any risk from exchange rate changes."

"After you instruct your bank to arrange an S£ mortgage you will complete the standard process of selecting a mortgage (fixed term, tracker, etc), an updated valuation if required and the legal paperwork. On the date agreed with your bank they will release the S£ funds."

900,000 mortgages calmly switching over "in the first two months". "Or so".

Luckily this process will avoid "any risk from exchange rate changes"

So who’s standing behind the currency peg, on the Scottish side, during this “Exchange Period”?
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

Our PBTories do find it hard to grasp the fact that the biggest ethnic minority group in the SNP is the English.
    Indeed. Many of my most valued party colleagues over the decades have been New Scots. But BritNats just don’t get how anybody could identify more with an irrelevant province than the mighty Fatherland.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies @RedfieldWilton

If a referendum for independence were to be held in Scotland, who do Britons think would win?

The 'pro-UK' side: 32%
    The 'pro-Independence' side: 24%
    Don't know: 44%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1418911675844079618?s=20
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

And you consider voting No as evidence of a failure to embrace Scotland?

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

You are Swedish/Scottish Enoch Powell.

You've exposed your vileness.
    Yawn. Tory accuses opponent of Toryism of behaving like a vile Tory. Really, really impressive reasoning ability.

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

Indeed. So why are the SNP so keen to have over100k EU citizens in Scotland who haven't applied for UK citizenship to vote in our referendum? Or is the answer just the blindingly obvious one?
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

It’s hardly surprising given that the biggest minority group in Scotland is the English. I’ve no beef with the SNP on this issue, just Mr Dickson and his explicit statement that only people born in Scotland are his fellow countrymen. If I were to say that about other English people I’d rightly be called a racist. But somehow he expects a pass on that.

MaxPB said:

Except they didn’t.

It's really not "how most nations work"

Take Britain. My country

Unless you actively want to wreak violence on my country, out of some hatred, then if you live here permanently, you are British, and you are entitled to any lawful political opinion you care to hold. Even Scottish Nationalism.
This discussion has been closed.