Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another post-BoJo quarantine U-turn poll sees CON below 40% and LAB within 4% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,122
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

When, say, a Tory like HYUFD comes out with some offensive position - like sending tanks over Hadrian's Wall - his fellow Tories are quite happy to denounce him, and distance themselves

When a Nat like Stuart Dickson comes up with 100% full-fat Powellite Blut Und Boden Scottish ethno-nationalism, his fellow Nats just murmur politely, or say nothing, or quietly tip-toe away, they do not call him out. Loyalty, or cowardice? Perhaps both

Bit bored after your fruitless search for flaked Parmesan are you?
    For once in your PB life you could show a bit of backbone and say a fellow Nat is talking offensive nonsense

I've never known you do it, despite ample opportunities. Here is another chance
    You lied about what he said.

Weedy trolling effort - nul points
    Perhaps more to the point, "your fellow countrymen" is hopelessly ambiguous. It cane from a PBTory in the middle of a debate about whether the correct designation for the so-called British is, well, British (but as any fule kno that is hopelessly ambiguous in NI and the adjacent parts of Scotland and the correct answer is subject of HMTQ of the UK etc). And the only definition of a Scot in PBToryland is a blood definition (as seen by the constant chorus of demand to allow e.g. Mr Cameron a vote in indyref2).

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. You'd complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    He said this:

"Max: It must eat away at you that your fellow countrymen bottled it in 2014"

Stuart: Except they didn’t.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    Yes, despite all Carnyx's guff (and how disappointing from the most urbane Nat on here) what Stuart Dickson said is obvious: his "fellow countrymen" are Scots born in Scotland. That's it. Everyone else is not truly Scottish, not a "fellow countryman", and if they don't embrace Scottish independence they are..... God knows what he thinks.

At the core of Nat ideology is ethnocentricity and anti-Englishness. Twas ever thus. All the rest- from civic Nationalism to pro-EU sentiment - is transient fancy packaging designed to disguise this central and rather unpleasant ethos. We know this because the pro-EU thing is a completely new invention, given that a YES vote in 2014 meant instant departure from the EU.
    Take 100 random SNP voters. Take 100 random English Leave voters. Which group will have the larger racist quotient, do we think?

Picked 100 because I've just been watching Pointless.
    Does anti-English xenophobia count as racism or not?
    Course it does. As does anti-Irish racism/sectarianism (probably counts as anti-RCism actually though the two are obviously easily conflated). (though, come to thinl of it, I can't think of anti-Welsh racism as an issue: it must exist, at least in theory).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/study-characteristics-police-recorded-hate-crime-scotland/pages/6/
    Well, not being Welsh you’ve probably never been on the receiving end of it.

In @TSE ‘s case, it seems to rise in direct proportion to the Welsh score against England in the rugby :smile:
    The Welsh are great, they know their plac....no, stop it, bad kle4!
    A Taff expert opines

"‘Angry’ Scotland should be more like Wales and accept its place within the union, a British academic and former Conservative Member of the Scottish Parliament has said.

Prof. Adam Tomkins, returning from a holiday in Pembrokeshire, said that Wales felt “much more at ease with itself than Scotland” because it did not have an adversarial relationship with England."

https://tinyurl.com/vxvcvkar

Is every English person who opines on another part of the world a “[derogatory term] expert”? So, if I were to pitch in about the French elections am I automatically a “Frog Expert”. Were we all “Yank Experts” last autumn? What’s the reasoning here?
    Is a Taff a derogatory term? I find it hard to keep up and would be glad of confirmation.
    Yes.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    edited July 2021
    kle4 said:

I wouldn't wish to be mean to the Hundred, since a lot of sports team names are stupid if they have to go for more than just the town/city name, but the Welsh Fire just puts me in mind of an STD.

Do you have the French Pox? Nah, just a touch of the Welsh Fire, I'll be alright after I use this ointment.

Not that nasty new variant, then?
    No, just the regular Manchester Originals.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Leon said:

No change from Opinium, boring!

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime
    Thus proving Johnson andis very resilient to a negative press.

Everyone on here sees his competent gorgeousness, but it just passes

The latest voting numbers from Opinium see no change though the other findings are poor for Johnson

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1418975502610612227?s=20

A bit of a surprise but Boris has had a dreadful 10 days
    It has been a mixed picture really.

The Covid figures are looking fantastic and people don't have to wear masks.

Compare and contrast to the civil unrest in Labour Wales. Empty shelves and mask wearing still compulsory!
    Central London felt almost completely normal last night, albeit with added festivity in Soho - all the outdoor tables. Great to see
    One thing that should outlast Covid is allowing businesses to make the most of the outdoors. Outdoor tables in the summer are fantastic but too often Council jobsworths have denied the right for businesses to have tables and chairs outdoors.

If we can get back to normal but keep the use of outdoors, especially in summers, then that would be a great development.
    +1,000,000

Annoyingly, in LA they've started to dismantle outdoor seating at restaraunts. WHICH IS MAKING ME REALLY MAD.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

The latest voting numbers from Opinium see no change though the other findings are poor for Johnson

Compare and contrast to the civil unrest in Labour Wales. Empty shelves and mask wearing still compulsory!
    Central London felt almost completely normal last night, albeit with added festivity in Soho - all the outdoor tables. Great to see
    Yeah agree, Shoreditch was almost completely normal loads of late opening places are open again and really busy. Was tempted to go to Nikki's bar after the pub but decided against it in the end.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

I wouldn't wish to be mean to the Hundred, since a lot of sports team names are stupid if they have to go for more than just the town/city name, but the Welsh Fire just puts me in mind of an STD.

Do you have the French Pox? Nah, just a touch of the Welsh Fire, I'll be alright after I use this ointment.

Not that nasty new variant, then?
    No, just the regular Manchester Originals.
    They must be Werther shout for the title.

I have to say though, Lancashire CCC would be within their rights to be absolutely outraged at that title. Leaving aside its triteness, it’s dishonest.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

Where are these empty shelves?!

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    Oh God, I'm going to have to say it, aren't I? Only a fool buys ready flaked Parmesan. Buy a chunk of Parmesan and grate it yourself. Or flake it if you must.
    A lump of parmesan will last about six months (maybe more) in the fridge, unlike ready flaked which can go moldy. Plus it costs about 99% less.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675
    Cinema watch- about 70/30 non masked to masked.

Also, they're still making Halloween movies?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

When, say, a Tory like HYUFD comes out with some offensive position - like sending tanks over Hadrian's Wall - his fellow Tories are quite happy to denounce him, and distance themselves

When a Nat like Stuart Dickson comes up with 100% full-fat Powellite Blut Und Boden Scottish ethno-nationalism, his fellow Nats just murmur politely, or say nothing, or quietly tip-toe away, they do not call him out. Loyalty, or cowardice? Perhaps both

For once in your PB life you could show a bit of backbone and say a fellow Nat is talking offensive nonsense

Perhaps more to the point, "your fellow countrymen" is hopelessly ambiguous. It cane from a PBTory in the middle of a debate about whether the correct designation for the so-called British is, well, British (but as any fule kno that is hopelessly ambiguous in NI and the adjacent parts of Scotland and the correct answer is subject of HMTQ of the UK etc). And the only definition of a Scot in PBToryland is a blood definition (as seen by the constant chorus of demand to allow e.g. Mr Cameron a vote in indyref2).

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. You'd complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    He said this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    Yes, despite all Carnyx's guff (and how disappointing from the most urbane Nat on here) what Stuart Dickson said is obvious: his "fellow countrymen" are Scots born in Scotland. That's it. Everyone else is not truly Scottish, not a "fellow countryman", and if they don't embrace Scottish independence they are..... God knows what he thinks.

At the core of Nat ideology is ethnocentricity and anti-Englishness. Twas ever thus. All the rest- from civic Nationalism to pro-EU sentiment - is transient fancy packaging designed to disguise this central and rather unpleasant ethos. We know this because the pro-EU thing is a completely new invention, given that a YES vote in 2014 meant instant departure from the EU.
    Take 100 random SNP voters. Take 100 random English Leave voters. Which group will have the larger racist quotient, do we think?

Course it does. As does anti-Irish racism/sectarianism (probably counts as anti-RCism actually though the two are obviously easily conflated). (though, come to thinl of it, I can't think of anti-Welsh racism as an issue: it must exist, at least in theory).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/study-characteristics-police-recorded-hate-crime-scotland/pages/6/

In @TSE ‘s case, it seems to rise in direct proportion to the Welsh score against England in the rugby :smile:
    A Taff expert opines

"‘Angry’ Scotland should be more like Wales and accept its place within the union, a British academic and former Conservative Member of the Scottish Parliament has said.

Prof. Adam Tomkins, returning from a holiday in Pembrokeshire, said that Wales felt “much more at ease with itself than Scotland” because it did not have an adversarial relationship with England."

Is every English person who opines on another part of the world a “[derogatory term] expert”? So, if I were to pitch in about the French elections am I automatically a “Frog Expert”. Were we all “Yank Experts” last autumn? What’s the reasoning here?
    Is a Taff a derogatory term? I find it hard to keep up and would be glad of confirmation.
    It’s not one I would use. As with all these things depends on context - I played rugby with a Welsh guy in London who called himself Taff. However he also thought he was Pierce Brosnan’s half brother because of a vague resemblance and the fact his Dad was in London at about the same time as Brosnan’s mum in the 50s. So he wasn’t quite all there. He got good work as a 007 lookalike in the early 2000s though TBF.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,891
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

Yeah agree, Shoreditch was almost completely normal loads of late opening places are open again and really busy. Was tempted to go to Nikki's bar after the pub but decided against it in the end.
    I got a cab back home and went up Tottenham Court Road (when did Tott Ct Road get posh and trendy?!) and all the bars along the way were rammed and noisy, in one case people seemed to be dancing on tables. Fantastic

I know my mood on this keeps changing, but London keeps changing!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,603
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

A Taff expert opines

Yes.
    Apols - had no idea (had assumed it was ex St Dafydd ).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,035
    rcs1000 said:

Up to a point, Lord Copper....

The EU #vaccination campaign has turned into a success story:

#Malta #Denmark & the #Netherlands have now #vaccinated a higher share of their populations with 1 dose of a #Covid19 vaccine than the #UK, the former European frontrunner. 1/3

https://twitter.com/SFischer_EU/status/1418971892820631553?s=20

It's hilarious that we constantly hear that the UK is irrelevant, yet EU diplomats and media figures do nothing but tweet about us.
    Although Sebastien Fischer is hardly a major figure. The man doesn't even rate a "blue tick" and has barely more followers than me.

One might almost say that some people desperately search Twitter for people they can characterise as "EU diplomats and media figures" and use them to reinforce the narrative that they do nothing other than think that they are tweeting about us.
    He's a spokesperson for Germany's equivalent of Ivan Rogers.

I don't know why you're sceptical that this is a real phenomenon. It's self-evident that for a major, modern democracy to leave the EU would be perceived as an existential slight by people who want to believe that the EU is the embodiment of modernity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    Oh God, I'm going to have to say it, aren't I? Only a fool buys ready flaked Parmesan. Buy a chunk of Parmesan and grate it yourself. Or flake it if you must.
    A lump of parmesan will last about six months (maybe more) in the fridge, unlike ready flaked which can go moldy. Plus it costs about 99% less.
    I confess I dislike the faff of flaking and then cleaning the tools. I know, I know
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cinema watch- about 70/30 non masked to masked.

Also, they're still making Halloween movies?

I went to the cinema yesterday to watch Snake Eyes (a GI Joe Origin Story), and it was Great.

I highly recommend PBers repeat the experience.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,382
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

A Taff expert opines

Yes.
    Are you sure? I live in Pembrokeshire and quite a few of my Welsh friends have either nicknames of Taff(y) or refer to each other as Taff(y). I thought Taff refered to the Daff bit of Llandaff, or the dydd bit of Caerdydd?
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

I got a cab back home and went up Tottenham Court Road (when did Tott Ct Road get posh and trendy?!) and all the bars along the way were rammed and noisy, in one case people seemed to be dancing on tables. Fantastic

We had that the Crown and Shuttle last night as well. The pub staff quickly came and got them off the tables lol, it was nice while it lasted though.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'm wondering with The Hundred if we should pick a team based upon our favourite savoury snack, instead of location?

For County Cricket I can enjoy Lancashire at Old Trafford but the notion of supporting an out and out Manchester club is not OK.

Similarly being from Lancashire supporting a Yorkshire club seems like it certainly shouldn't be allowed.

But the Popchips Super Chargers could work if they're not claiming to represent Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I confess I dislike the faff of flaking and then cleaning the tools. I know, I know
    I’m sorry. You’ve gone beyond the pale this time. A further ban is surely incoming,
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

We had that the Crown and Shuttle last night as well. The pub staff quickly came and got them off the tables lol, it was nice while it lasted though.
    Yes, proper Roaring Twenties stuff. Let em dance, I say! We've all been suicidally gloomy, and in prison, for 17 fucking months

Time to Partayyyy
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

#Malta #Denmark & the #Netherlands have now #vaccinated a higher share of their populations with 1 dose of a #Covid19 vaccine than the #UK, the former European frontrunner. 1/3

It's hilarious that we constantly hear that the UK is irrelevant, yet EU diplomats and media figures do nothing but tweet about us.
    Although Sebastien Fischer is hardly a major figure. The man doesn't even rate a "blue tick" and has barely more followers than me.

One might almost say that some people desperately search Twitter for people they can characterise as "EU diplomats and media figures" and use them to reinforce the narrative that they do nothing other than think that they are tweeting about us.

I don't know why you're sceptical that this is a real phenomenon. It's self-evident that for a major, modern democracy to leave the EU would be perceived as an existential slight by people who want to believe that the EU is the embodiment of modernity.
    Sure.

But you rather do down your case when you quote somebody with a couple of thousand followers as a major figure.

I mean he might be a major figure. But hardly any one other that you seems to bother following him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

Yes, proper Roaring Twenties stuff. Let em dance, I say! We've all been suicidally gloomy, and in prison, for 17 fucking months

Time to Partayyyy
    Too busy to clean a single cheese grater and a small bowl you probablu need to serve the cheese in? It's a view.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,035
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure.

But you rather do down your case when you quote somebody with a couple of thousand followers as a major figure.

I mean he might be a major figure. But hardly any one other that you seems to bother following him.
    I didn't quote him. I responded to CarlottaVance's post with an observation of my own.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2021

*sigh*

Why do so few people understand that the point of what the UK was doing was to go faster? That's why we stretched the intervals to 12 weeks, to get more people jabbed sooner. Countries catching up 8 months later have missed millions and millions of days of protection across their population.
  • Options
    ALRIGHT I'LL BUY A CHEESE FLAKER
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Good. The quality of parmesan available in some of the Italian delis is a lot better than anything in Waitrose and that isn't sold flaked or grated.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

A Taff expert opines

Yes.
    Apols - had no idea (had assumed it was ex St Dafydd ).
    It means (roughly) ‘outlander from beyond the River Taff,’ implying somebody who is uncivilised and lives a long way from anywhere.

Often, perhaps mostly, used affectionately but it can be misused. So I would advise avoiding it.
  • Options
    I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A PARMESAN FLAKER FOR £3.49 FROM AMAZON NOW GET OFF MY CASE
  • Options
    Leon said:

You’ll have to post photos or it doesn’t count. Sorry - we have standards.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,144
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Let's say nativist nationalism instead of racism. More precise and pertinent to the discussion.
    No it's not, because it is specifically aimed at the English. I've witnessed it. Dislike of a particular people just because of their nationality. It's racism
    It's a peculiar form of it though because it's not really directed against the other but against the self. People don't like or can't accept the fact that England is an indelible part of their own identity.
    Yes, it is quite a distinct and complex brand. But I feel sure that if this reflexive dislike and abhorrence was thrown by some of the English at someone else kinabalu would have no trouble calling it "racist".

Anyway I have hopes this bitter Scottish prickliness will in time melt away. The SNP can't remain in power forever, stoking grievance

Back to the bloody boring rugby
    As said, I don't have a problem calling it that. Just seeking to avoid branching off into a definition debate. It's not needed. We all know what we're talking about here.
  • Options
    I'm amazed anyone can get through life without a cheese grater/flaker.

Its like finding someone is going through life without a corkscrew. Though I imagine that's more of a priority for some people.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    edited July 2021
    "
    Leon said:

Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

The plague is over. Johnson won the war.

However there is a lot of post Covid/ post Brexit collateral to consider.

Churchill won the war. Attlee won the election.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

I'm wondering with The Hundred if we should pick a team based upon our favourite savoury snack, instead of location?

For County Cricket I can enjoy Lancashire at Old Trafford but the notion of supporting an out and out Manchester club is not OK.

Similarly being from Lancashire supporting a Yorkshire club seems like it certainly shouldn't be allowed.

But the Popchips Super Chargers could work if they're not claiming to represent Yorkshire.

I was sceptical at first but I'm enjoying the cricket without having a horse in the race. The innings from Rodrigues earlier was outstanding.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Now you’re just making it worse. Anything less than a John Lewis Micropane Fine for £28 just won’t do.
  • Options

Leon said:

I like to serve bucatini and cheese with green onions while I'm playing Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs.

VERY GOOD

You show much promise, young PB-er
    When I'm feeling particularly punny I serve it with with side dish of roughly pureed fresh peas and creme fraiche that I call "whirled peas" - it's hard to say no if someone asks you if you want whirled peas!
    Are you Isam sneaking back under a new handle?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

I was sceptical at first but I'm enjoying the cricket without having a horse in the race. The innings from Rodrigues earlier was outstanding.
    Indeed. I was skeptical but I've had the Hundred on almost every day this week and am enjoying the quality of the Cricket, despite not having a team to support. Its nice to have it on daily too.

It still could have been T20, but I hate to say - it is fun.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You just need a mandoline(sp?) slicer with a really fine setting. Great for veg too, but use the attachment to hold the veg, not your fingers or they'll be less fingers eventually.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,976
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

Bradford can't be worse than Glasgow, surely.

I think partly

(a) degree of prosperity at relevant time for BAME immigration - Scotlandwas not doing well and itself saw heavy emigration
    (b) ?no specific campaigns to compare with London Transport getting staff from the W Indies (though it did happen on occasion: IIRC there were Guyanese or Windies lumberjacks during the war)
    (c) emphassi on heavy industries - eg shipbuilding compared to say textile mills - so different skillsets
    (d) possibly any labour shortage was dealt with with the plenty of Irish, POles, Italians, etc. who came up to 1960 or so: though no idea how this compares to rUK.
    (e) so fewer 'bridgehead' links with first comers building links with families and villages home (AIUI from a friend who researches this sort of thing in England)

See this abstract - interesting remarks on different nature of immigration
    https://www.centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/news-and-opinion/multicultural-scotland

In any case..

Newcastle demographics 2011
    White 85.6% (incl. white non British 3.7%)
    Asian 9.3%
    Black 2%

Glasgow demographics 2011
    White 88.42% (incl. white non British 5.7% )
    Asian 8.05%
    Black 2.4%

Yoooge difference obviously.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    glw said:

*sigh*

Why do so few people understand that the point of what the UK was doing was to go faster? That's why we stretched the intervals to 12 weeks, to get more people jabbed sooner. Countries catching up 8 months later have missed millions and millions of days of protection across their population.
    They do understand but it doesn’t matter when the entire point is to “prove” how well the EU vaccine procurement and rollout has gone (and remember there is a big EU angle to this because of the way the procurement was pooled), and a basic requirement is to find metrics where they appear to be doing well against the “problem country”.
  • Options

Its like finding someone is going through life without a corkscrew. Though I imagine that's more of a priority for some people.

I have a grater but it's a really big one for multiple uses which is hard to clean, and if I just want a few flakes of parmesan I can't be arsed

Anyway I just found a really simple one just for cheese

Was ever a PB debate so quickly and comprehensively resolved?
  • Options

We're still using the same cheese grater one of us bought as a student - decent bit of kit and more important to Mrs C than the corkscrew ( I am more balanced in my views).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I like to serve bucatini and cheese with green onions while I'm playing Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs.

VERY GOOD

You show much promise, young PB-er
    When I'm feeling particularly punny I serve it with with side dish of roughly pureed fresh peas and creme fraiche that I call "whirled peas" - it's hard to say no if someone asks you if you want whirled peas!
    Are you Isam sneaking back under a new handle?
    It seems more likely that its Sean's next handle. Getting introduced via having a conversation with Leon . . .
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

A Taff expert opines

Yes.
    Are you sure? I live in Pembrokeshire and quite a few of my Welsh friends have either nicknames of Taff(y) or refer to each other as Taff(y). I thought Taff refered to the Daff bit of Llandaff, or the dydd bit of Caerdydd?
    Caerdydd is, like Y Bermo, an interesting example of an anglicisation imported into Welsh. It was originally ‘Caerdaff’ meaning ‘the fortified town on the River Taff’ and that is where ‘Cardiff’ comes from. But for some reason it’s been mutated over the years into ‘Caerdydd’ which is completely meaningless in Welsh - it would mean ‘the fort only used during the day.’ And I think it’s because it sounds like ‘Cardiff’ and some early antiquarian wrote it down wrongly.

Similarly, ‘Y Bermo’ means nothing in Welsh, but Barmouth is a fairly clear corruption of ‘Abermawddach’, meaning ‘the town at the mouth of the main river in Mawddwy,’ which makes perfect sense.
  • Options

Some of the best wine I've had was screwtop...
  • Options
    Leon said:

I have a grater but it's a really big one for multiple uses which is hard to clean, and if I just want a few flakes of parmesan I can't be arsed

Anyway I just found a really simple one just for cheese

Was ever a PB debate so quickly and comprehensively resolved?
    Wasn’t Brexit sorted out over a quick evening exchange on here? Certainly seen no rancour about it since.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Prima facie this is a better poll for Labour than the Survation survey, given the Yougov 'house effect' and the high Green vote.In a GE - particularly when the main parties are close - the Greens are likely to be squeezed to Labour's advantage taking the party close to poll parity with the Tories.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Indeed. I was skeptical but I've had the Hundred on almost every day this week and am enjoying the quality of the Cricket, despite not having a team to support. Its nice to have it on daily too.

I'm the same. I was very skeptical. I really like it. Fast colourful cricket is exactly as you say. FUN

• Options
    spudgfsh said:

Indeed!

I tend to prefer Southern Hemisphere "New World" wine - and the "New World" producers tend to more and more use screwtops by default.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    rcs1000 said:

Although Sebastien Fischer is hardly a major figure.
    He's the spokesman for the German Permanent Representative in the EU....
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

A Taff expert opines

I suppose that just means he liked his hotel and the staff were friendly.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Sure, but you don't want to be stuck unable to open a good claret that someone brings round..
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Now you’re just making it worse. Anything less than a John Lewis Micropane Fine for £28 just won’t do.
    I bought some cheese in Waitrose once...
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

I'm going to Lords next Tuesday with a few mates. Only £25 for tickets and it seems like a good opportunity to drink and have a laugh at a live sporting event.
  • Options
    TBF. this is an excellent game of rugby now
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Indeed!

I tend to prefer Southern Hemisphere "New World" wine - and the "New World" producers tend to more and more use screwtops by default.
    I've still got a bottle of the 2018 Bacchus from here (https://www.winbirri.com/awards/) in the fridge
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

A Taff expert opines

I suppose that just means he liked his hotel and the staff were friendly.
    'I never once worried about them gobbing in my Darjeeling!'
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Sure, but you don't want to be stuck unable to open a good claret that someone brings round..
    People are more likely to bring round a nice stout (if they want to be invited in at least).
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's become an excellent contest because of the closeness in the scores right now, and the quality of the play is improving, but it's still not been a great game overall. Yet..

An epic finish could make it so
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

spudgfsh said:

I'm going to Lords next Tuesday with a few mates. Only £25 for tickets and it seems like a good opportunity to drink and have a laugh at a live sporting event.
    Really? Is the cricket likely to be *that* bad?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Leon said:

It's become an excellent contest because of the closeness in the scores right now, and the quality of the play is improving, but it's still not been a great game overall. Yet..

Yes, I was probably overstating it. The first half was just so dire, this feels excellent in contrast...

It is hard to have an epic game without a crowd
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,116

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. Edit: Someone would complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    One recurring airhead PB definition of a Scot is someone coming from a nation of bottlers, apparently referring to Scots who voted no and would again in any indy referendum. Perhaps Unionist Scots with some self respect should consider how some of their fellow Brits look upon them, though I say that more in hope than expectation.
    It's not news to me that I disagree with Tories or English nationalists, so if some of them do sound off in that way, and mean it rather than are just trolling you with it, then it makes not the slightest bit of difference to me.
  • Options
    So has there been no case data today? Are we not getting that until tomorrow now?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

spudgfsh said:

If you're not using live cricket as an excuse to have a drink and a laugh then you're definitely doing it wrong.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,382
    I notice that the dashboard has delayed the total for today. Any other source for the 31000 mentioned earlier?
  • Options

So has there been no case data today? Are we not getting that until tomorrow now?

31.7k iirc.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

spudgfsh said:

If you're not using live cricket as an excuse to have a drink and a laugh then you're definitely doing it wrong.
    The implication of the post was you’d be laughing at the cricket...
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Let's say nativist nationalism instead of racism. More precise and pertinent to the discussion.
    No it's not, because it is specifically aimed at the English. I've witnessed it. Dislike of a particular people just because of their nationality. It's racism
    Yes that's not incorrect. So who's more racist and/or nativist nationalist then? Our 100 SNPers or our 100 England dwelling Leavers?

It's a serious non trick question. I'm not doing the barrister thing where I already have the answer.
    I would say there is more anti-English sentiment openly expressed in Nat circles than openly racist sentiment in "Leaver circles" - whatever the latter might be

That might just be because "racism" in England is socially so unacceptable, whereas "Anglophobia" is still quasi-tolerated up north?

Who knows. Hard to measure and understand these things
    Anti English people is different to anti Westminster government of course. I'd hope it was mainly the latter. If not then that would be an unwelcome discovery for me.

No offence, though, but I'd have to hear it from sources that I don't already have down as being very viscerally opposed to the notion of Scotland voting for independence.
  • Options

I notice that the dashboard has delayed the total for today. Any other source for the 31000 mentioned earlier?

Also @Philip_Thompson

• Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

spudgfsh said:

An essential joy of cricket is the ample opportunities for refreshment. Fine red wines and cheese at a Test, maybe chilled whites and sashimi at a ODI.

Shots at The Hundred?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

PHE put out a tweet with the figures. Deaths number is delaying the dashboard.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

spudgfsh said:

An essential joy of cricket is the ample opportunities for refreshment. Fine red wines and cheese at a Test, maybe chilled whites and sashimi at a ODI.

Shots at The Hundred?
    Jäger bombs?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

31.7k iirc.
    Thanks! Is that all 4 nations?

My forecast last weekend for the game of predicting the reported peak was really far off - I predicted reported on 24/7 at 75,997 cases (39% increase on last week's data).

Looks like today's data is less than half of my forecast. 😲
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, I was probably overstating it. The first half was just so dire, this feels excellent in contrast...

I can understand why the live fans make a big difference to the players, and how, a bit, to the television viewer because of that effect on the players. But I get really fed up of the tv viewing being interspersed with idiots cheering themselves on the big screen and cameramen finding pretty girls in tight shirts. I'm enjoying seeing more of the players between plays, and extra replays.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

CALLED IT!

#LegendaryModestyTime

Time to Partayyyy
    Not every night though. That would soon pall.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Also @Philip_Thompson

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/xr/g60qwyfm98pm.jpeg
    Thanks!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

MaxPB said:

31.7k iirc.

My forecast last weekend for the game of predicting the reported peak was really far off - I predicted reported on 24/7 at 75,997 cases (39% increase on last week's data).

It’s starting to look like the case rise was slowing, then got a huge bump from the euro final and that has now dropped out.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Yes that's not incorrect. So who's more racist and/or nativist nationalist then? Our 100 SNPers or our 100 England dwelling Leavers?

It's a serious non trick question. I'm not doing the barrister thing where I already have the answer.
    I would say there is more anti-English sentiment openly expressed in Nat circles than openly racist sentiment in "Leaver circles" - whatever the latter might be

That might just be because "racism" in England is socially so unacceptable, whereas "Anglophobia" is still quasi-tolerated up north?

Anti English people is different to anti Westminster government of course. I'd hope it was mainly the latter. If not then that would be an unwelcome discovery for me.

No offence, though, but I'd have to hear it from sources that I don't already have down as being very viscerally opposed to the notion of Scotland voting for independence.
    No, it's quite definitely anti-English - as a nation, and a people

Most Scottish people are perfectly delightful and friendly. But there is a sizeable hardcore of the Nat vote and, especially, Nat activism which harbours instinctive dislike of the English. If you want to see it check Scottish football fans during an England game against Anyone Else

Of course it is a joke haha, but amongst the jolly banter there will be real snarls, edged with bitterness

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    I'm sorry we've stopped talking about cheese graters. Because now people are talking about "cricket" and "rugby" and I am pretty sure you can't eat either of those.

Can't we discuss pasta sauces instead?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    It's interesting that, collectively, LD and Greens are now regularly scoring similar to LD before the coalition (and the rise of the Greens). They had a pact in 2019 but unless they repeat same at the next election, the wind could well be out of their sails. Labour's offer is what, woke but non-Marxist plus the closedown of society indefinitely. This isn't enough so it's no surprise the third forces are doing well.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

31.7k iirc.

It’s starting to look like the case rise was slowing, then got a huge bump from the euro final and that has now dropped out.
    They might (many say will) start going back up again a la early December. Fingers crossed though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm sorry we've stopped talking about cheese graters. Because now people are talking about "cricket" and "rugby" and I am pretty sure you can't eat either of those.

Well, we tried that but it unravelled.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You can talk about savoury snacks. Would you prefer Popchips or Hula Hoops?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    Cyclefree said:

I prefer pasta to rugby, but like cricket too! 👍
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

No, it's quite definitely anti-English - as a nation, and a people

Most Scottish people are perfectly delightful and friendly. But there is a sizeable hardcore of the Nat vote and, especially, Nat activism which harbours instinctive dislike of the English. If you want to see it check Scottish football fans during an England game against Anyone Else

Of course it is a joke haha, but amongst the jolly banter there will be real snarls, edged with bitterness

You see it on here. I say that as someone who supports Scottish independence as a point of principle.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,304
    Cyclefree said:

Cheese graters trigger me ever since a female friend told me

'You know you've been single for too long when you can grate a big block of cheese in under ten seconds.'

Grating cheese after that....
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I can understand why the live fans make a big difference to the players, and how, a bit, to the television viewer because of that effect on the players. But I get really fed up of the tv viewing being interspersed with idiots cheering themselves on the big screen and cameramen finding pretty girls in tight shirts. I'm enjoying seeing more of the players between plays, and extra replays.
    Sure, but as you say it's the way a passionate crowd lifts both sides. Especially in big rugby games. The intensity rises, the hits get bigger, the tension gets the best from everyone - if it works

Not here; here it is flat
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I prefer pasta to rugby, but like cricket too! 👍
    Well, really we need @Cyclefree to penne a thread header on the subject of cricket. Then we’ll definitely only talk about pasta sauce all day.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    Leon said:

You don't get it.

Supporting "anyone against England" is not because we hate the English.

It's because the English are such insufferable winners.

You have been going on about 1 match for 55 years.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Whereas Scotland have won what 1 match in 55 years?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

I've seen this in Scotland for myself. It's not just 1966 (and I can see why that grates, due to English TV coverage). There is more. There is real dislike, even hatred, at times
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    Leon said:

Where are the cretins that need someone to flake their parmesan for them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've seen this in Scotland for myself. It's not just 1966 (and I can see why that grates, due to English TV coverage). There is more. There is real dislike, even hatred, at times

The SNP hate the English.

That's not the same as sports fans.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I've been on holiday for the last week but someone did message me the other day and said Boris Johnson's decision to ignore the ping then deny it was a bit like Gordon Brown denying he had planned to call a snap election in 2007.

Don't take the piss with the voters is the message.

Brown chickened out of the snap election in 2007 after seeing the polling from Scotland
    Wrong, it was the polling from middle England, they loved Dave and George's IHT plans.

Must annoy you that Scotland was the only place in the UK that saw Labour's vote share go up in 2010.
    Oh, I forgot my place. Tugs forelock. Of course England is much, much, much more important than Scotchland. I’ll never make that mistake again Sir.

You have a very bizarre concept of what “annoys” people. Psychological projection.
    It must eat away at you that your fellow countrymen bottled it in 2014.
    Except they didn’t.

So you don't consider people who have moved to Scotland your fellow countrymen?
    If they embrace their new country: yes.

If they don’t: no.

That’s how most nations on the planet work.
    It's really not "how most nations work"

Take Britain. My country

Unless you actively want to wreak violence on my country, out of some hatred, then if you live here permanently, you are British, and you are entitled to any lawful political opinion you care to hold. Even Scottish Nationalism.
    Britain is NOT a country
  • Options

MaxPB said:

31.7k iirc.

This weekend for the first time since February last year, took the girls to a (belated) birthday party for a classmate. Unsurprisingly most of the conversation I had with the fellow parents while the kids played on a bouncy castle was about the virus etc - the general consensus was that everyone in the group was expecting a lockdown this winter. I was the only one that is not expecting another lockdown.

I remain convinced that the UK pretty much has large elements of herd immunity already that will prevent another lockdown being necessary, since ~92% of adults have antibodies already, and that the virus is just currently filling in the gaps in the sections of society that have large elements of unvaccinated people: the very young, or vaccine refuseniks.

Cases will spread now over the summer, but minimal in the way of deaths as we've seen. The same again may occur in September when schools reopen. But there won't be any reason to have a winter lockdown.

If I'm right on that, then I think expectations are so low that the government might get some credit for beating expectations.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sure, but as you say it's the way a passionate crowd lifts both sides. Especially in big rugby games. The intensity rises, the hits get bigger, the tension gets the best from everyone - if it works

Not here; here it is flat
    I don't agree that it's flat. It's just too damn close to be flat, and the players are still giving everything.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Have you perhaps overlooked one consistent factor in these anecdotal encounters?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Can any of our Nat friends talk us through this exposition of the currency issue in indy Scotland?

This guy, a professional, er, mapmaker - but also "Convener of the Scottish Currency Group", has handily sketched out how the new Scottish pound will be established, and how the move from sterling will work. It includes gems like this:

https://twitter.com/RideoutTim/status/1418627474175533059?s=20

"Your bank will contact you near the time and ask if you would like to re-mortgage into the S£, or take out new S£ credit cards and loans. The banks, Scottish Government and the Scottish Reserve Bank will run an information campaign."

So that's a doddle then. As someone on Twitter points out, there are 900,000 Scottish mortgage holders who need to be "contacted" and given advice on "remortgaging into the S£."

That's quite a long chat. Say two hours per mortgage?

900,000 x 2 hours is 1.8m hours which is 200 years, add in working hours and holidays it's more like 800-1000 years. If the banks get it together and have 100 dedicated teams working flat out on just this, day in day out, they could easily get in done in eight decades

They might, in fairness, shorten the process by speaking to the lenders of those 900k mortgages and ask them if they want to be paid back in S£ or Sterling. That might make the 900k discussions somewhat irrelevant.

Edit and oh, by the way, we don't have a Scottish reserve bank. Or any reserves to put in it.
    Why would a bank offer the chance to redominate a loan into a different currency?

Remember most mortgages nowadays have been sold as a securtised asset to a pension fund or other investment fund
    Exactly, there is absolutely no chance they would agree to the switch so it wouldn't matter what the borrowers thought. If they tried to make the transfer a matter of statute then the Banks would sue the Scottish government because the value of their assets would have been reduced by something like 20% in breach of Article 1 protocol 1 of the ECHR. It is utter madness by people who are so economically illiterate that they make Nicola look credible.
    David, you sound like Leon now, where did the fantasy 20% come from.
  • Options
    Yay!!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The SNP is Scotland. Deal with it.
  • Options
    England's Cowan Dickie and Farrell win the test for the Lions.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The SNP is Scotland. Deal with it.
    No it fucking isn't
This discussion has been closed.