Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another post-BoJo quarantine U-turn poll sees CON below 40% and LAB within 4% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Just dropped in for half an hour to give a break from sport and it's as bad as the TV. If it isn't sport, it's cooking!
    Think I'll get some exercise!

Bye!!!

It's bound to be rugby here quite soon!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

When, say, a Tory like HYUFD comes out with some offensive position - like sending tanks over Hadrian's Wall - his fellow Tories are quite happy to denounce him, and distance themselves

When a Nat like Stuart Dickson comes up with 100% full-fat Powellite Blut Und Boden Scottish ethno-nationalism, his fellow Nats just murmur politely, or say nothing, or quietly tip-toe away, they do not call him out. Loyalty, or cowardice? Perhaps both

Bit bored after your fruitless search for flaked Parmesan are you?
    For once in your PB life you could show a bit of backbone and say a fellow Nat is talking offensive nonsense

I've never known you do it, despite ample opportunities. Here is another chance
    You lied about what he said.

Weedy trolling effort - nul points
    Perhaps more to the point, "your fellow countrymen" is hopelessly ambiguous. It cane from a PBTory in the middle of a debate about whether the correct designation for the so-called British is, well, British (but as any fule kno that is hopelessly ambiguous in NI and the adjacent parts of Scotland and the correct answer is subject of HMTQ of the UK etc). And the only definition of a Scot in PBToryland is a blood definition (as seen by the constant chorus of demand to allow e.g. Mr Cameron a vote in indyref2).

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. You'd complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    He said this:

"Max: It must eat away at you that your fellow countrymen bottled it in 2014"

Stuart: Except they didn’t.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    So? "your fellow countrymen" must mean the Scots born as that is the PBTory default option.
    Why must it? Because Dickson has decreed that? Is he a PBTory?

Again, show me where I defined "fellow countrymen" as Scots born in Scotland? You can't because I didn't and that's not how I would define it, my definition is people who would qualify for Scottish citizenship after independence which is all people currently resident and those who have historical ties to the nation by residency or ancestry.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

When, say, a Tory like HYUFD comes out with some offensive position - like sending tanks over Hadrian's Wall - his fellow Tories are quite happy to denounce him, and distance themselves

When a Nat like Stuart Dickson comes up with 100% full-fat Powellite Blut Und Boden Scottish ethno-nationalism, his fellow Nats just murmur politely, or say nothing, or quietly tip-toe away, they do not call him out. Loyalty, or cowardice? Perhaps both

For once in your PB life you could show a bit of backbone and say a fellow Nat is talking offensive nonsense

Perhaps more to the point, "your fellow countrymen" is hopelessly ambiguous. It cane from a PBTory in the middle of a debate about whether the correct designation for the so-called British is, well, British (but as any fule kno that is hopelessly ambiguous in NI and the adjacent parts of Scotland and the correct answer is subject of HMTQ of the UK etc). And the only definition of a Scot in PBToryland is a blood definition (as seen by the constant chorus of demand to allow e.g. Mr Cameron a vote in indyref2).

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. You'd complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    He said this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    So? "your fellow countrymen" must mean the Scots born as that is the PBTory default option.
    It really fucking isn't. Stop being disingenuous.

Max meant "All the people resident in Scotland, all those entitled to vote in the indyref"

Dickson came back with "No you're wrong, those aren't my countrymen, my TRUE countrymen are Scots born in Scotland"

A telling glimpse behind the mask
    Give it a break, Leon. Nationalists are like Trumpians. They don't believe in any concession to logic or sound argument or consistency. To them, it's weakness. Always attack, never apologize. That's the philosophy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Max meant "All the people resident in Scotland, all those entitled to vote in the indyref"

Dickson came back with "No you're wrong, those aren't my countrymen, my TRUE countrymen are Scots born in Scotland"

Yup, that's what the movement is. It's an army of Dicksons and Malcs driven by small dick energy and hating the English.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT

To the extent people care, I shop at Tesco
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Again, show me where I defined "fellow countrymen" as Scots born in Scotland? You can't because I didn't and that's not how I would define it, my definition is people who would qualify for Scottish citizenship after independence which is all people currently resident and those who have historical ties to the nation by residency or ancestry.
    Dickson posted that link (wot says that Scottish-born voters said "Yes") implying that he himself thinks that only THEIR votes counted.

Here it is again for @Carnyx and @Theuniondivvie

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Give it a break, Leon. Nationalists are like Trumpians. They don't believe in any concession to logic or sound argument or consistency. To them, it's weakness. Always attack, never apologize. That's the philosophy.
    Probably. It's quite bleak seeing it in action

All it takes is one of them to say "OK that was an offensive remark", Stuart could apologise and retract, we all move on to the rugby

The fact they are emotionally incapable of the most minor concessions or admissions of guilt is.... odd. And sad. And you are correct
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Yeah that's because the JCVI has said the 8 week gap dosing schedule is preferable to 3 weeks. Looking at the data coming out of Israel I think they've got a point and where I was previously in favour of bringing the gap down to 4 weeks to make an additional 7m people eligible for second doses now I'm not so sure. The JCVI has an uncanny ability to call things exactly right just as they did with the initial 12 week gap policy and shifting young people to Pfizer/Moderna on a balance of risk basis.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Hang on! @StuartDickson Dickson is a PB Tory then???

Or, more likely, does he really think you have to be born in Scotland to have a vote in any IndyRef past or future?
    (a) no - just using words in a way which will be understood.

(b) He is a SNP member of long standing. That is the complete opposite of party policy.
    Surely you don’t mean what you say there?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Independent SAGE strikes again: Reopening nightclubs 'immoral and unethical', warns Independent SAGE expert

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-reopening-nightclubs-immoral-and-unethical-warns-independent-sage-expert-12362933
  • Options
    Anyway, enough of depressing Scot Nattery

To the rugby!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Dickson posted that link (wot says that Scottish-born voters said "Yes") implying that he himself thinks that only THEIR votes counted.

I wonder if those born in Scotland now living in other countries were given a vote, how that would affect the results? Do we have any polling on that?
  • Options

Independent SAGE strikes again: Reopening nightclubs 'immoral and unethical', warns Independent SAGE expert

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-reopening-nightclubs-immoral-and-unethical-warns-independent-sage-expert-12362933

Right, where’s the nearest nightclub? I’m off clubbing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

In defence of Waitrose, it's the only supermarket where I can find the crucial ingredient for making proper carbonara: guanciale. It's a very fatty cheek bacon and its high fat content makes a far better sauce than any other bacon or pancetta.

The only other ingredients are pasta, egg yolks, pecorino cheese (not parmesan), black pepper and a pinch of salt in the pasta water.

Definitely no cream.

Ingredients for this recipe for 4 costs about six quid at Waitrose
    https://www.eatalianwithroberto.com/real-carbonara-recipe/

That sounds great. I don't like spaghetti so I'd have it with chips. What's your view on that?
    Spaghetti is the king of pastas. I always knew you were a heathen.
    It's not the taste I don't like, it's the faff. Have never mastered the twirl on fork technique. Chips so much easier. Just stab them and dip.
    I'm sorry. How is this even possible?

In extremis, apply scissors first and use a spoon.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Can I ask if you posted that link because you agree with him or so that we can laugh at a bigot ?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

Where are these empty shelves?!

There have been so many tales of Brexit and Covid related empty shelves these past 5 years I lose count. I couldn’t see anything missing in my out of the way village Co-Op down here in deepest East Kent. Similarly the posh farm shop. Maybe it will happen but there’s a lot of wolf crying at the moment,
    Well Tesco didn’t have Finest Raspberries and substituted them with ordinary raspberries instead.

When i pointed out that wasn’t an adequate substitution (because finest were supposed to be better) they refunded the cost…

Ironically I’d only ordered Finest because they were on sale for the ordinary price in the first place 😝
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Scott_xP said:

BoZo is a liberal...

🚨🚨🚨| BREAKING: Boris Johnson is to launch a new programme where the government tracks what people eat and how much exercise they do. And if people do well they get discounts and free stuff

Via @Telegraph

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1418944731434913803

Predicted this - see the staggering success of Prudential Vitality.
    I know why don't we expand the nhs covid vax app so that it tracks our food and exercise?

It's a no brainer right?

Protect the NHS!!

This is exactly what I warn about when I bang on about the slipping slope that the vaxport represents.
  • Options
    I like to serve bucatini and cheese with green onions while I'm playing Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I've been on holiday for the last week but someone did message me the other day and said Boris Johnson's decision to ignore the ping then deny it was a bit like Gordon Brown denying he had planned to call a snap election in 2007.

Don't take the piss with the voters is the message.

Brown chickened out of the snap election in 2007 after seeing the polling from Scotland
    Wrong, it was the polling from middle England, they loved Dave and George's IHT plans.

Must annoy you that Scotland was the only place in the UK that saw Labour's vote share go up in 2010.
    Oh, I forgot my place. Tugs forelock. Of course England is much, much, much more important than Scotchland. I’ll never make that mistake again Sir.

You have a very bizarre concept of what “annoys” people. Psychological projection.
    It must eat away at you that your fellow countrymen bottled it in 2014.
    Except they didn’t.

So you’re one of those blood-and-soil types?

Good to know
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

In defence of Waitrose, it's the only supermarket where I can find the crucial ingredient for making proper carbonara: guanciale. It's a very fatty cheek bacon and its high fat content makes a far better sauce than any other bacon or pancetta.

The only other ingredients are pasta, egg yolks, pecorino cheese (not parmesan), black pepper and a pinch of salt in the pasta water.

Definitely no cream.

That sounds great. I don't like spaghetti so I'd have it with chips. What's your view on that?
    It's not the taste I don't like, it's the faff. Have never mastered the twirl on fork technique. Chips so much easier. Just stab them and dip.
    Same with noodles. Even worse with chopsticks.
    Ah but I'm not bad with the chopsticks. Married to a China Girl so had to learn the basics of that.
  • Options

Can I ask if you posted that link because you agree with him or so that we can laugh at a bigot ?
    WHY do FBPE-ers think constantly trashing Britain will win over the undecided to their cause?

I kinda get constantly their praising the EU, tho I do not think it is productive, rational or helpful. But actively sneering at the UK at every opportunity, especially for something clearly successful, like the vax rollout - is wholly mystifying
  • Options
    Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    51m
    We are sleepwalking into living in a totalitarian state. This is what the Chinese government does. Wake up.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. Edit: Someone would complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    I made no such definition of countrymen. It was @StuartDickson who defined it as only those people born in Scotland. Quite simply this is the face of your nationalist movement. Blood and soil nationalism built on nothing more than hatred of the English.

The sooner you come to terms with what Scotland will become as an independent nation the better. You're already the most hostile nation to immigrants within the UK with the smallest proportion of people from immigrant backgrounds. The two times I've been racially harassed in London was by Scots, one a police officer and the other someone who seemed to take issue with the fact that I was on a date with a white woman (my then gf, now wife who rejected his advances).
    Your wording was ambiguous, and could be read either way.

On racial harassment: outrageous. No other word.

On hostility to immigration: your comments surprise me. If you can substantiate them I'd be interested*. AIUI there is actually a small net positive effect relative to rUK (but, as I say, small).

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/refugees-are-welcome-here-what-is-scotlands-attitude-to-immigration-and-is-it-more-positive-than-the-rest-of-the-uk-3241594

One study did find more of a problem with Unionist voters than pro-indy ones (but I suspect this may be to do with age):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46457341

* 'racism' stats tend to be affected by West Central Belt anti-Irish racism/sectarianism but this isn't an'immigrant' thing any longer
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Definitely no cream.

I love certain sauces with spaghetti cut up small and eaten with a spoon. Gets me weird looks at the office when I bring a tupperware in, but another advantage of this is the dramatically easier reheating/eating at work potential.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Or, more likely, does he really think you have to be born in Scotland to have a vote in any IndyRef past or future?

(b) He is a SNP member of long standing. That is the complete opposite of party policy.
    Quite right to pick it up, Teacher. I forgot to say (b) referred to Sunil's second point. One gold star fewer at the end of the week.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    31,795 cases.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,655
    edited July 2021
    Today's update to the #COVID19 Dashboard is experiencing a delay.

On Saturday 24 July, 31,795 new cases were reported across the UK..

https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1418960823003795457?s=20

56,674 last week
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. Edit: Someone would complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    I made no such definition of countrymen. It was @StuartDickson who defined it as only those people born in Scotland. Quite simply this is the face of your nationalist movement. Blood and soil nationalism built on nothing more than hatred of the English.

The sooner you come to terms with what Scotland will become as an independent nation the better. You're already the most hostile nation to immigrants within the UK with the smallest proportion of people from immigrant backgrounds. The two times I've been racially harassed in London was by Scots, one a police officer and the other someone who seemed to take issue with the fact that I was on a date with a white woman (my then gf, now wife who rejected his advances).
    Your wording was ambiguous, and could be read either way.

On racial harassment: outrageous. No other word.

On hostility to immigration: your comments surprise me. If you can substantiate them I'd be interested*. AIUI there is actually a small net positive effect relative to rUK (but, as I say, small).

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/refugees-are-welcome-here-what-is-scotlands-attitude-to-immigration-and-is-it-more-positive-than-the-rest-of-the-uk-3241594

One study did find more of a problem with Unionist voters than pro-indy ones (but I suspect this may be to do with age):

* 'racism' stats tend to be affected by West Central Belt anti-Irish racism/sectarianism but this isn't an'immigrant' thing any longer
    But what as telling is that a prominent nationalist read it in the way of blood and soil, not based on residency or something wider as I have previously suggested. It's his definition of "countrymen" that is disturbing IMO, I had absolutely no input into that.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Definitely no cream.

The correct technique is to pick them up with a fork, twirl them in the bowl of a spoon and then slide spoon into mouth.

This was shown to me by a Malaysian who adapted it very successfully from noodles.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Can any of our Nat friends talk us through this exposition of the currency issue in indy Scotland?

This guy, a professional, er, mapmaker - but also "Convener of the Scottish Currency Group", has handily sketched out how the new Scottish pound will be established, and how the move from sterling will work. It includes gems like this:

https://twitter.com/RideoutTim/status/1418627474175533059?s=20

"Your bank will contact you near the time and ask if you would like to re-mortgage into the S£, or take out new S£ credit cards and loans. The banks, Scottish Government and the Scottish Reserve Bank will run an information campaign."

So that's a doddle then. As someone on Twitter points out, there are 900,000 Scottish mortgage holders who need to be "contacted" and given advice on "remortgaging into the S£."

That's quite a long chat. Say two hours per mortgage?

900,000 x 2 hours is 1.8m hours which is 200 years, add in working hours and holidays it's more like 800-1000 years. If the banks get it together and have 100 dedicated teams working flat out on just this, day in day out, they could easily get in done in eight decades

That’s hillarious. It’ll be savings redenominated automatically into Groats, and mortgages kept in Sterling - unless they want to see what happens when hundreds of billions of Groats get sold to buy Sterling on I-Day?
    If you were the Scottish government wouldn’t you want it the other way round?

Savings in hard currency, borrowings in the depreciating currency

You definitely don’t want people having foreign currency mortgages otherwise you end up like Hungary with all those CHF mortgages a few years ago
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Quite right to pick it up, Teacher. I forgot to say (b) referred to Sunil's second point. One gold star fewer at the end of the week.
    I do love the idea that SNP party policy is not to have members of long standing though. It explains so much about Salmond.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2021
    Interesting discussion between three journalists on radio. 4 earlier.

The consensus was that Johnson was headed for trouble. One said he seems to think 'if he signs a treaty he doesn't have to honour it which is going to lead to an almighty fallout with the EU' He said the Biden administration is already getting jittery about Johnson's behaviour in that it's affecting the Good Friday agreement. 'So by the end of summer we'll be at loggerheads with the Worlds three great powers The US The EU and China'.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Taking an average of recent polls, the Tories are down quite a bit but Labour are only up slightly. The bottom two polls on the list have Lab on 34% and 35%, exactly the same as the two new ones.

Aren’t we in holiday season anyway?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

One recurring airhead PB definition of a Scot is someone coming from a nation of bottlers, apparently referring to Scots who voted no and would again in any indy referendum. Perhaps Unionist Scots with some self respect should consider how some of their fellow Brits look upon them, though I say that more in hope than expectation.
    There are those for whom the ideal scenario is Scotland getting a good rogering and thus hankering to leave the relationship but being either afraid or unable to do so.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited July 2021

31,795 cases.

VICTORY!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

I wonder if those born in Scotland now living in other countries were given a vote, how that would affect the results? Do we have any polling on that?
    They are massively against independence
  • Options
    Leon said:

WHY do FBPE-ers think constantly trashing Britain will win over the undecided to their cause?

I kinda get constantly their praising the EU, tho I do not think it is productive, rational or helpful. But actively sneering at the UK at every opportunity, especially for something clearly successful, like the vax rollout - is wholly mystifying
    A former advisor to Robin Cook made the claim yesterday that "history will probably record that the EU had the most successful vaccine programme of this pandemic".

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1418557670487961605
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Scott_xP said:

BoZo is a liberal...

🚨🚨🚨| BREAKING: Boris Johnson is to launch a new programme where the government tracks what people eat and how much exercise they do. And if people do well they get discounts and free stuff

Via @Telegraph

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1418944731434913803

Predicted this - see the staggering success of Prudential Vitality.
    I know why don't we expand the nhs covid vax app so that it tracks our food and exercise?

It's a no brainer right?

Protect the NHS!!

This is exactly what I warn about when I bang on about the slipping slope that the vaxport represents.
    Vaxports have a simple function of ensuring herd immunity in a crowded setting, we could add in the flu too - though you'd have to expand the general offer to u50s...
    I'd be opposed to this potential creep, on the basis that food and exercise choices don't affect viral growth rates. The govt needs to leave it at virus control really
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,655
    NEW: UK coronavirus cases

Last Thursday: 48,553
    Day before Yesterday: 39,906

Last Friday: 51,870
    Yesterday: 36,389

Last Saturday: 54674
    Today: 31,795

Something is happening

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1418962798835535873?s=20
  • Options

31,795 cases.

Do we have a comparative figure on testing? I’m expecting it to have taken a nose dive as schools started breaking up from a week ago yesterday.

Not that it isn’t excellent news on the face of it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

The loss of the big Camden Morrisons is keenly felt. Used to be able to park up for 2 hours totally free, just get a packet of fags and a tinny, and go hang out by the lock for ... well for just under 2 hours. Pretty unique loophole now closed.
    it hasn't gone forever. There's a new temporary version next door as they remake the old one. I liked it for the petrol station. There are very few around here, so it was handy
    Yes but the big free carpark isn't coming back. Flats.
    Houses for people or space for cars…

• Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Well, that’s what I would have thought, but do you have a link? Would be interested to see it.
  • Options

I like to serve bucatini and cheese with green onions while I'm playing Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs.

VERY GOOD

You show much promise, young PB-er
  • Options
    Excellent news on the cases
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    ydoethur said:

Right, where’s the nearest nightclub? I’m off clubbing.
    Are they linking it with Covid, or is it just a general opinion? ;)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited July 2021

Today's update to the #COVID19 Dashboard is experiencing a delay.

On Saturday 24 July, 31,795 new cases were reported across the UK..

https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1418960823003795457?s=20

56,674 last week

Boris has had a shocking 10 days and the polls closing is entirely predictable

However, if Boris has called this right, then do not discount a recovery in his ratings

The next few months are going to be interesting but for the sake of the UK I really hope he is right and we are heading to herd immunity
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Well, that’s what I would have thought, but do you have a link? Would be interested to see it.
    Scots-born Scottish people in rUK are rather anri-indy, but I've not seen polling of Dickson's "true fellow countrymen" outside the UK. Would it even be possible to do a poll like that?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    ydoethur said:

31,795 cases.

Do we have a comparative figure on testing? I’m expecting it to have taken a nose dive as schools started breaking up from a week ago yesterday.

It will be up when the dashboard is. However, see tweet below -

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1418511852313747464
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Me too, please. How could one do a reliable survey, too?
  • Options
    Waiting for @Alistair and @Chris to be along and tell me why it will be 100,000 cases tomorrow or something.
    Still waiting.
    Still waiting...

Honestly, Scotland showed what would happen.
  • Options
    God, another great match with no crowd

So sad, no atmos
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Really great case numbers. Tentatively we'd be seeing Sunday nights revelries feeding into LFT positives in these numbers and some level of PCR positives as well. I'm going to a late night bar tonight with some of my wife's friends it apparently has a dance floor as well. Could be adding to the case numbers next week.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Can any of our Nat friends talk us through this exposition of the currency issue in indy Scotland?

This guy, a professional, er, mapmaker - but also "Convener of the Scottish Currency Group", has handily sketched out how the new Scottish pound will be established, and how the move from sterling will work. It includes gems like this:

https://twitter.com/RideoutTim/status/1418627474175533059?s=20

"Your bank will contact you near the time and ask if you would like to re-mortgage into the S£, or take out new S£ credit cards and loans. The banks, Scottish Government and the Scottish Reserve Bank will run an information campaign."

So that's a doddle then. As someone on Twitter points out, there are 900,000 Scottish mortgage holders who need to be "contacted" and given advice on "remortgaging into the S£."

That's quite a long chat. Say two hours per mortgage?

900,000 x 2 hours is 1.8m hours which is 200 years, add in working hours and holidays it's more like 800-1000 years. If the banks get it together and have 100 dedicated teams working flat out on just this, day in day out, they could easily get in done in eight decades

That’s hillarious. It’ll be savings redenominated automatically into Groats, and mortgages kept in Sterling - unless they want to see what happens when hundreds of billions of Groats get sold to buy Sterling on I-Day?
    If you were the Scottish government wouldn’t you want it the other way round?

Savings in hard currency, borrowings in the depreciating currency

You definitely don’t want people having foreign currency mortgages otherwise you end up like Hungary with all those CHF mortgages a few years ago
    Indeed. But it won’t be up to the Scottish government, it will be up to the banks.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Scots-born Scottish people in rUK are rather anri-indy, but I've not seen polling of Dickson's "true fellow countrymen" outside the UK. Would it even be possible to do a poll like that?
    Misquotation there surely ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    I wouldn't wish to be mean to the Hundred, since a lot of sports team names are stupid if they have to go for more than just the town/city name, but the Welsh Fire just puts me in mind of an STD.

Do you have the French Pox? Nah, just a touch of the Welsh Fire, I'll be alright after I use this ointment.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The loss of the big Camden Morrisons is keenly felt. Used to be able to park up for 2 hours totally free, just get a packet of fags and a tinny, and go hang out by the lock for ... well for just under 2 hours. Pretty unique loophole now closed.
    it hasn't gone forever. There's a new temporary version next door as they remake the old one. I liked it for the petrol station. There are very few around here, so it was handy
    Yes but the big free carpark isn't coming back. Flats.
    Houses for people or space for cars…

There were definitely signs of shortages in a massive Sainsburys in south west London this morning.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Something is happening

No need to worry. We're still comfortably ahead of all the countries in the EU.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Something is happening

Bad news for you is our cases are going the right direction and we have no restrictions. In Europe delta is just taking off...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    If Javid and Marr are typical of double vaxxed covidians there's a case to be made that the virus barely passes the threshold for notifiability once every adult has been offered twice
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Yes, despite all Carnyx's guff (and how disappointing from the most urbane Nat on here) what Stuart Dickson said is obvious: his "fellow countrymen" are Scots born in Scotland. That's it. Everyone else is not truly Scottish, not a "fellow countryman", and if they don't embrace Scottish independence they are..... God knows what he thinks.

At the core of Nat ideology is ethnocentricity and anti-Englishness. Twas ever thus. All the rest- from civic Nationalism to pro-EU sentiment - is transient fancy packaging designed to disguise this central and rather unpleasant ethos. We know this because the pro-EU thing is a completely new invention, given that a YES vote in 2014 meant instant departure from the EU.
    Take 100 random SNP voters. Take 100 random English Leave voters. Which group will have the larger racist quotient, do we think?

Picked 100 because I've just been watching Pointless.
  • Options

Waiting for @Alistair and @Chris to be along and tell me why it will be 100,000 cases tomorrow or something.
    Still waiting.
    Still waiting...

Unfair to lump Alistair in the same category as Chris.

Chris assured us it would happen because he's the smartest person in the room, Alistair feared it might happen but hoped it wouldn't.
    Maybe but his continual baiting about people suggesting a peak had been reached or was near was getting on my wick.
  • Options

Definitely no cream.

A civilised and knowledgeable PBer. What a lovely breath of fresh air. Only problem is, now I’m hungry.
    People that put cream in carbonara aren't welcome in my home
    You can’t put cream in carbonara.

As soon as you do it ceases to be carbonara.

So why get upset that they are calling something by the wrong name?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Something is happening

Spain had 31k cases yesterday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Javid and Marr are typical of double vaxxed covidians there's a case to be made that the virus barely passes the threshold for notifiability once every adult has been offered twice

I think it will present more serious symptoms in people aged 70+ or with severe health conditions. However, that's not going to overwhelm the NHS.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    ydoethur said:

31,795 cases.

Testing was last updated on the 22nd and was only down 5% week-on-week at that time.

Personally I'm not too interested in the cases. They could rollercoaster a bit because of the effect of the schools closing and nightclubs reopening, we don't know the age profile of the infections, what proportion are asymptomatic, and so on - and it doesn't seem particularly worth worrying about.

All that matters is hospitals. If the total number of patients in the hospitals levels off both (a) before the Government starts to panic about rising admissions and (b) whilst it is at a value with which they are reasonably able to cope, then the worst of this should be over. This result is also what the situation in the early hotspots suggests. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Yes, despite all Carnyx's guff (and how disappointing from the most urbane Nat on here) what Stuart Dickson said is obvious: his "fellow countrymen" are Scots born in Scotland. That's it. Everyone else is not truly Scottish, not a "fellow countryman", and if they don't embrace Scottish independence they are..... God knows what he thinks.

At the core of Nat ideology is ethnocentricity and anti-Englishness. Twas ever thus. All the rest- from civic Nationalism to pro-EU sentiment - is transient fancy packaging designed to disguise this central and rather unpleasant ethos. We know this because the pro-EU thing is a completely new invention, given that a YES vote in 2014 meant instant departure from the EU.
    Take 100 random SNP voters. Take 100 random English Leave voters. Which group will have the larger racist quotient, do we think?

Does anti-English xenophobia count as racism or not?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

This link, which I found earlier, throws some light on the answer:

• Options
    On testing, I think a lot of negatives never get reported. Certainly the case for some of my colleagues who do the twice weekly thing. I can’t be arsed to do it, unless I come into contact with a case.
  • Options
    I was reading a thread the other day where people were talking about foie gras. I think it's delicious, but I'm glad it's been banned here. I don't know if I'll guiltily indulge next time I'm in France; I should rule it out but haven't, quite yet.

But the discussion got me thinking. I wholly disagree with any painful practices on animals to make them taste better, but what about ones they might enjoy? Would it be alright to give your cows/pigs/sheep/chickens loads of beer or wine - and so marinade them from the inside - for a week before slaughter. You could then do the deed while they're comatose.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Misquotation there surely ...
    Person A points out that Person B’s “fellow countrymen” in Country Y voted against Proposition X.

Person B retorts to Person A denying that was the case, evidencing in support of that denial that the majority of people born in Country Y voted for Proposition X.

Ergo it is not misrepresenting the facts to say that Person B appears to believe that his “fellow countrymen” are those born in Country Y.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Does hating the English count as racism? Oh wait in your world no one can be racist towards white people so I guess not.
  • Options

NEW: Sam White, who worked for Alistair Darling under Blair and Brown, to take over as Keir Starmer's chief of staff.

Completes New Lab reunion in his office: Matthew Doyle, Blair's frmr political director, director of comms. Deborah Mattinson, Brown's pollster, head of strategy

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1418938242850820112?s=20

Wasn’t Mattinson blamed for Brown getting his strategy utterly wrong?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Still waiting.
    Still waiting...

@chris will be crying into his beer.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

That's because Scotland has less of a foreign population as a starting point so lower integration needs, lower population density so less worries about congestion and house prices, and less productive workers, so lower dilution of output per capita from low skilled workers.
  • Options
    To date, 15 peers and 81 MPs (43 Conservative, 25 Labour, 11 Lib Dems, 1 Green, 1 Ind) have joined the cross-party campaign to oppose COVID-status certificates.

https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/campaigns/stopvaccinepassports/#crosspartycampaign
  • Options
    edited July 2021

On testing, I think a lot of negatives never get reported. Certainly the case for some of my colleagues who do the twice weekly thing. I can’t be arsed to do it, unless I come into contact with a case.

I also didn’t report my negative tests, although I dutifully carried out two tests a week albeit I kept throwing up. And I never had a positive result so the issue didn’t arise.

I don’t know what other posters found, but it thought the government site for reporting them was absolutely extraordinarily badly done. After you’d registered, it cut the amount of time it took to report your results from about seven minutes to around five. But you still had to enter a load of information that could and should have been automatically saved. A sensible system would have asked for the date of the test and the result. There’s no need to enter say, occupation every time.

And that’s why I stopped reporting my test results.
  • Options

Generally neither positives or negatives get reported for that though, do they? The only LFTs in the national figures are the slower processed ones done by the NHS (or whatever third party organisation does it). It's just that people receiving positive LFTs (self administered) are more likely to take a PCR afterwards.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited July 2021
    Roger said:

Something is happening

Are we going to get to a point where we stop trying to score points based on single moments in time, when nations experience waves at different moments? What will you do if in a week that is not the case any longer? On your logic it would mean you would need to start praising Boris over other leaders, which would be silly.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Something is happening

Bullshit. Spain had 31,000 cases yesterday and rising,
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

That's because Scotland has less of a foreign population as a starting point so lower integration needs, lower population density so less worries about congestion and house prices, and less productive workers, so lower dilution of output per capita from low skilled workers.
    I think the question that isn't asked is why Scotland has a lower foreign population. What puts black and Asian people off living there?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Definitely no cream.

It could work, but you'd need to boil raw chipped potatoes to get the starchy water which you need for the sauce, before deep frying them - no oven chips.

Let me know what it's like if you give it a go!
    Ah. Thanks but I fear that blows me out.
    You could make it with pasta for those that like it and split a bit of the cheese/egg/pasta water/guanciale and fat into a different pan to make the sauce for your chips?
    Or make it as a sauce to go with some parboiled roasted chips. The cooler water from the longer ago cooked chips would probably help by cooling the ban a bit before you add the eggs as you definitely don't want them cooked, just warm enough to melt the cheese. You only need a tiny bit of the starchy water, but it seems important in getting the right emulsification with the fat and eggs.
    The deal breaker is saying I can't use oven chips. No way will I be deep frying them in a pan full of volcanic spitting oil. That's not an option.
    Could cook the spuds, resewrving the water for the sauce and then slicing and frying the spuds in shallow oil?
    I could. But I just wonder if it passes the effort v benefit test. Oven chips are close to perfect little things. Feel similar about coffee. Is brewed sufficiently better than instant to justify having to get involved with complex machinery? Not sure it is.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

You should therefore know that Richard Osman keeps telling us: ""And by 'country' we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right."
  • Options

Leon said:

A former advisor to Robin Cook made the claim yesterday that "history will probably record that the EU had the most successful vaccine programme of this pandemic".

https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/status/1418557670487961605
    A left wing Remainery? Labour spad?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited July 2021
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Something is happening

Are we going to get to a point where we stop trying to score points based on single moments in time, when nations experience waves at different moments? What will you do if in a week that is not the case any longer? On your logic it would mean you would need to start praising Boris over other leaders, which would be silly.
    So long as France exists I'm saying no.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Course it does. As does anti-Irish racism/sectarianism (probably counts as anti-RCism actually though the two are obviously easily conflated). (though, come to thinl of it, I can't think of anti-Welsh racism as an issue: it must exist, at least in theory).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/study-characteristics-police-recorded-hate-crime-scotland/pages/6/

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Re Opinium, beware that polls that are ramped are frequently damp squibs.

Can't think why they do that. Seems counterproductive.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Course it does. As does anti-Irish racism/sectarianism (probably counts as anti-RCism actually though the two are obviously easily conflated). (though, come to thinl of it, I can't think of anti-Welsh racism as an issue: it must exist, at least in theory).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/study-characteristics-police-recorded-hate-crime-scotland/pages/6/
    Well, not being Welsh you’ve probably never been on the receiving end of it.

In @TSE ‘s case, it seems to rise in direct proportion to the Welsh score against England in the rugby :smile:
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

I think the question that isn't asked is why Scotland has a lower foreign population. What puts black and Asian people off living there?
    The weather? Distance from major centres of primary settlement?
  • Options

Redfield & Wilton Strategies @RedfieldWilton

If a referendum for independence were to be held in Scotland, who do Britons think would win?

The 'pro-UK' side: 32%
    The 'pro-Independence' side: 24%
    Don't know: 44%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1418911675844079618?s=20

From the linked report:

Amongst those who identify as Scottish, a plurality of 45% support Scottish independence… followed by 38% who oppose it.
    Presumably all those who identify as British rather than Scottish are more likely to support the Union?

Isn’t that a bit like saying “trade union members support Labour” as if it is unexpected?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Well, not being Welsh you’ve probably never been on the receiving end of it.
    Sorry, not being very good with my essay writing today, meant 'I can;t think of reports of anti-Welsh racism ...'
  • Options
    Hmmm....

"Because of technical difficulties in processing England deaths data, today's update is delayed."

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525

I was reading a thread the other day where people were talking about foie gras. I think it's delicious, but I'm glad it's been banned here. I don't know if I'll guiltily indulge next time I'm in France; I should rule it out but haven't, quite yet.

But the discussion got me thinking. I wholly disagree with any painful practices on animals to make them taste better, but what about ones they might enjoy? Would it be alright to give your cows/pigs/sheep/chickens loads of beer or wine - and so marinade them from the inside - for a week before slaughter. You could then do the deed while they're comatose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cQyXp69qM

There are also other systems.
  • Options
    Owen's got it.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    Charles said:

Redfield & Wilton Strategies @RedfieldWilton

If a referendum for independence were to be held in Scotland, who do Britons think would win?

The 'pro-UK' side: 32%
    The 'pro-Independence' side: 24%
    Don't know: 44%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1418911675844079618?s=20

From the linked report:

Amongst those who identify as Scottish, a plurality of 45% support Scottish independence… followed by 38% who oppose it.
    Presumably all those who identify as British rather than Scottish are more likely to support the Union?

Isn’t that a bit like saying “trade union members support Labour” as if it is unexpected?
    More likely, but necessarily all. I'm sure a large number of people in the UK are supportive of self determination of its people.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

The weather? Distance from major centres of primary settlement?
    The weather is shit in the North East of England as well and both Glasgow and Edinburgh are bigger than loads of English regional cities.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Owen's got it.

Which Owen and what has he got?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    Charles said:

FPT

To the extent people care, I shop at Tesco

Everyday Value or Tesco Finest?
This discussion has been closed.