Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another post-BoJo quarantine U-turn poll sees CON below 40% and LAB within 4% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

Have you perhaps overlooked one consistent factor in these anecdotal encounters?

The encounters took place with at least 5 different PBers...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Cyclefree said:

I'm sorry we've stopped talking about cheese graters. Because now people are talking about "cricket" and "rugby" and I am pretty sure you can't eat either of those.

Can't we discuss pasta sauces instead?

Some people like eating crickets! Personally, I prefer vegetarian alternatives!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    That was close! Better game in the second half.

Better still would have been a crowd, should have switched it and come to Twickenham.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Can any of our Nat friends talk us through this exposition of the currency issue in indy Scotland?

This guy, a professional, er, mapmaker - but also "Convener of the Scottish Currency Group", has handily sketched out how the new Scottish pound will be established, and how the move from sterling will work. It includes gems like this:

https://twitter.com/RideoutTim/status/1418627474175533059?s=20

"Your bank will contact you near the time and ask if you would like to re-mortgage into the S£, or take out new S£ credit cards and loans. The banks, Scottish Government and the Scottish Reserve Bank will run an information campaign."

So that's a doddle then. As someone on Twitter points out, there are 900,000 Scottish mortgage holders who need to be "contacted" and given advice on "remortgaging into the S£."

That's quite a long chat. Say two hours per mortgage?

900,000 x 2 hours is 1.8m hours which is 200 years, add in working hours and holidays it's more like 800-1000 years. If the banks get it together and have 100 dedicated teams working flat out on just this, day in day out, they could easily get in done in eight decades

That’s hillarious. It’ll be savings redenominated automatically into Groats, and mortgages kept in Sterling - unless they want to see what happens when hundreds of billions of Groats get sold to buy Sterling on I-Day?
    This guy is rightly getting ripped apart on Twitter. Is he freelancing or is it actual SNP policy in formation?

Either way the SNP can't be happy about it. No doubt they are having a stern word with him now, if not they should be. Makes them look utterly clownish
    Scotch experts are extra frothing today , what they trying to hide.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Most Scottish people are perfectly delightful and friendly. But there is a sizeable hardcore of the Nat vote and, especially, Nat activism which harbours instinctive dislike of the English. If you want to see it check Scottish football fans during an England game against Anyone Else

You don't get it.

Supporting "anyone against England" is not because we hate the English.

It's because the English are such insufferable winners.

You have been going on about 1 match for 55 years.
    I've seen this in Scotland for myself. It's not just 1966 (and I can see why that grates, due to English TV coverage). There is more. There is real dislike, even hatred, at times
    Indeed. Last time me and the wife were in Scotland we were given some real anti-English zingers from Scots we met on the assumption we were both American (the wife tends to do most of the talking in our relationship). It’s real.

• Options
    @Cyclefree is there an Italian pasta dish with an anchovy mayonnaise kind of sauce? If not there should be. Very cheap and easy to make.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    So no change from Opinium...lol
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    edited July 2021

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Most Scottish people are perfectly delightful and friendly. But there is a sizeable hardcore of the Nat vote and, especially, Nat activism which harbours instinctive dislike of the English. If you want to see it check Scottish football fans during an England game against Anyone Else

You don't get it.

Whereas Scotland have won what 1 match in 55 years?
    I think a lot of PBers miss the point about the footie.

It was the BBC saying ad infinitum "Our victory in 1966", rinse and repeat for half a century.

That really drove home, in a very easily understood way, the fact that for the BBC England = UK and Scotland was not considered. And as the BBNC was the UK State Broadcaster, so ...

It was simply that football was much more widely followed - ergo more mentions - and understood than almost anything else that could have been picked.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    Scott_xP said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

I've seen this in Scotland for myself. It's not just 1966 (and I can see why that grates, due to English TV coverage). There is more. There is real dislike, even hatred, at times

The SNP hate the English.

That's not the same as sports fans.
    The SNP is Scotland. Deal with it.
    No it fucking isn't
    no but it's consistently 50% of Scotland of late (or at least 30% of scottish voters)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm sorry we've stopped talking about cheese graters. Because now people are talking about "cricket" and "rugby" and I am pretty sure you can't eat either of those.

I prefer pasta to rugby, but like cricket too! 👍
    Well, really we need @Cyclefree to penne a thread header on the subject of cricket. Then we’ll definitely only talk about pasta sauce all day.
    I've heard a fusilli ideas in my time, but that takes the biscotta
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

rcs1000 said:

Up to a point, Lord Copper....

The EU #vaccination campaign has turned into a success story:

#Malta #Denmark & the #Netherlands have now #vaccinated a higher share of their populations with 1 dose of a #Covid19 vaccine than the #UK, the former European frontrunner. 1/3

https://twitter.com/SFischer_EU/status/1418971892820631553?s=20

It's hilarious that we constantly hear that the UK is irrelevant, yet EU diplomats and media figures do nothing but tweet about us.
    Although Sebastien Fischer is hardly a major figure.
    He's the spokesman for the German Permanent Representative in the EU....
    I think you're reemphasising my point.

His tweet got seven retweets.

I posted a lame joke about Jeffrey Epstein and got almost 100.

Look: I completely agree that it's a bit sad when people in the EU attempt to change the metrics to show they're winning.

An accurate summary of the EU vaccine effort would be:

"We ballsed up the initial procurement, embarassed ourselves in court, but we recognised our mistake relatively quickly, got a massive Pfizer order in, and will have reached functional completion in most of the EU - i.e. not Eastern Europe - by the end of August. Which puts us broadly in-line with other developed world countries. Not a standout success. But not - in the end - a failure. And Eastern Europe - well, the vaccines are available to them, they have just chosen not to use them."

My point was that that tweet (seven retweets!) was probably seen by more people emphasising how sad the EU is, than by people bigging them up. Which tells me there are a lot of people looking to having their existing preconceptions reconfirmed.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    edited July 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, really we need @Cyclefree to penne a thread header on the subject of cricket. Then we’ll definitely only talk about pasta sauce all day.
    I've heard a fusilli ideas in my time, but that takes the biscotta
    I fileja pain, Doctor, but try not to be pici.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

Where are these empty shelves?!

Where are the cretins that need someone to flake their parmesan for them.
    You don't get the stale vomit effect of you create it yourself.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited July 2021

Paul Lever @paul_lever
    The future of the Nordstream pipeline was decided in a meeting between Chancellor Merkel and President Biden. The EU was not involved, nor were other member states consulted. Can Germany credibly claim that it favours a common European foreign policy?

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1418972285516587014?s=20

AIUI the Russian company involved purchased Gerhard Schroder - more or less - (Greensill style?).

Now Germany needs to find a way to extract Ukraine from under the bus where they just threw it.

I'm quite interested as to how this is violating EU energy policy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    Cyclefree said:

Mrs C is cooking pork fillet with tomato, aubergine and olives and capers, and her home grown potatoes. No idea what that would be as a pasta sauce, but I reckon it would work. (TBH it was what was needing to be eaten up in the fridge ...).
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Incidentally, talking of supermarkets, just been to M&S in Camden and there was no sign of any shortage of anything, except ready flaked parmesan. That's it.

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    Oh God, I'm going to have to say it, aren't I? Only a fool buys ready flaked Parmesan. Buy a chunk of Parmesan and grate it yourself. Or flake it if you must.
    Wouldn't that involve up and down movements of the right hand? Very hard work.

The nice thing about real hunks of Parmesan is that they last for a very very long time - nearly 2 years in the freezer.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A PARMESAN FLAKER FOR £3.49 FROM AMAZON NOW GET OFF MY CASE

Now you’re just making it worse. Anything less than a John Lewis Micropane Fine for £28 just won’t do.
    He is a cheapskate pleb.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Indeed. Last time me and the wife were in Scotland we were given some real anti-English zingers from Scots we met on the assumption we were both American (the wife tends to do most of the talking in our relationship). It’s real.

It was undoubtedly made much worse by indyref. Hopefully as that dwindles into the past it will all calm down

There will always be banter and rivalry, but the recent nasty edge is sad. And it is now being stirred in the English, in reverse (Sturgeon wants this, of course)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

When, say, a Tory like HYUFD comes out with some offensive position - like sending tanks over Hadrian's Wall - his fellow Tories are quite happy to denounce him, and distance themselves

When a Nat like Stuart Dickson comes up with 100% full-fat Powellite Blut Und Boden Scottish ethno-nationalism, his fellow Nats just murmur politely, or say nothing, or quietly tip-toe away, they do not call him out. Loyalty, or cowardice? Perhaps both

Bit bored after your fruitless search for flaked Parmesan are you?
    For once in your PB life you could show a bit of backbone and say a fellow Nat is talking offensive nonsense

I've never known you do it, despite ample opportunities. Here is another chance
    You lied about what he said.

Weedy trolling effort - nul points
    Perhaps more to the point, "your fellow countrymen" is hopelessly ambiguous. It cane from a PBTory in the middle of a debate about whether the correct designation for the so-called British is, well, British (but as any fule kno that is hopelessly ambiguous in NI and the adjacent parts of Scotland and the correct answer is subject of HMTQ of the UK etc). And the only definition of a Scot in PBToryland is a blood definition (as seen by the constant chorus of demand to allow e.g. Mr Cameron a vote in indyref2).

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. You'd complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    He said this:

"Max: It must eat away at you that your fellow countrymen bottled it in 2014"

Stuart: Except they didn’t.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    Yes, despite all Carnyx's guff (and how disappointing from the most urbane Nat on here) what Stuart Dickson said is obvious: his "fellow countrymen" are Scots born in Scotland. That's it. Everyone else is not truly Scottish, not a "fellow countryman", and if they don't embrace Scottish independence they are..... God knows what he thinks.

At the core of Nat ideology is ethnocentricity and anti-Englishness. Twas ever thus. All the rest- from civic Nationalism to pro-EU sentiment - is transient fancy packaging designed to disguise this central and rather unpleasant ethos. We know this because the pro-EU thing is a completely new invention, given that a YES vote in 2014 meant instant departure from the EU.
    Take 100 random SNP voters. Take 100 random English Leave voters. Which group will have the larger racist quotient, do we think?

Picked 100 because I've just been watching Pointless.
    This link, which I found earlier, throws some light on the answer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46457341
    That's because Scotland has less of a foreign population as a starting point so lower integration needs, lower population density so less worries about congestion and house prices, and less productive workers, so lower dilution of output per capita from low skilled workers.
    I think the question that isn't asked is why Scotland has a lower foreign population. What puts black and Asian people off living there?
    I believe Scotland's population is still declining as a share of the UK, as it has done for more than a century, presumably because the great economic heft of London continues to pull in people from all over, and so you'd expect more people moving to the UK to be following economic opportunities in the same way.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

No flaked parmesan? Surely there was a rendering of garments and enough teeth damage to keep an NHS dentist busy for a year of assessment appointments before they do any actual work.
    Oh God, I'm going to have to say it, aren't I? Only a fool buys ready flaked Parmesan. Buy a chunk of Parmesan and grate it yourself. Or flake it if you must.
    Sounds like a stiff challenge.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I have for some time been suffering from covid fatigue syndrome. Alas this is not a physical illness but a self-diagnosed mental disorder whereby the individual becomes resistant to following the latest news about covid. What I really mean is that my understanding of the current situation is a bit limited. However I am starting to feel a bit more optimistic and was wondering what fellow pbers thought.

The number of cases is starting to fall. Deaths have of course risen but the third 'wave' is the equivalent of a very minor aftershock on the charts. I can't comment on the current demands being placed on the health service but it's hard to see them being overwhelmed. Is my optimism misplaced?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited July 2021
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

That's better than what I (well my wife but me indirectly) got in London. "Why are you fucking a paki when there's proper men around". It's probably the most angry I've ever been, I genuinely wanted to smash his face into a million pieces but decided against it. I probably would have got away with it but why go through court for a grade A race baiting c***. It put me off the nation of Scotland for a pretty long time.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Already said.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

That's better than what I (well my wife but me indirectly) got in London. "Why are you fucking a paki when there's proper men around". It's probably the most angry I've ever been, I genuinely wanted to smash his face into a million pieces but decided against it. I probably would have got away with it but why go through court for a grade A race baiting c***.
    Yeah - that puts it in perspective. Didn’t want to portray myself as a victim. Much worse happens as you say.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The SNP hate the English.

That's not the same as sports fans.
    The SNP is Scotland. Deal with it.
    you are the thickest tumshie on the site and obnoxious and creepy with it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

If you want to talk about my love life, I have an announcement to make

I have a new girlfriend

She is a veterinary nurse

She is 23

And, yes, she is a Corbynite (tho going off him a bit)

I do not joke. I must just attract them somehow
  • Options
    MattW said:

Paul Lever @paul_lever
    The future of the Nordstream pipeline was decided in a meeting between Chancellor Merkel and President Biden. The EU was not involved, nor were other member states consulted. Can Germany credibly claim that it favours a common European foreign policy?

AIUI the Russian company involved purchased Gerhard Schroder - more or less - (Greensill style?).

Now Germany needs to find a way to extract Ukraine from under the bus where they just threw it.

Given the Nordstream pipeline had just a single contract underpinning it (between a collection of Germany power companies on the one side and Gazprom on the other), it's unclear to me why either any other EU country or the EU itself would have had a say in its future.

While still in the EU, the UK and Norway (well, really Shell, Exxon and Statoil) created the Langeled pipeline, and I'm pretty sure than neither the EU nor any other EU countries were involved. (Except possibly Ireland, because they had a reexport agreement in place with the UK.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

Congratulations. I think.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

That's better than what I (well my wife but me indirectly) got in London. "Why are you fucking a paki when there's proper men around". It's probably the most angry I've ever been, I genuinely wanted to smash his face into a million pieces but decided against it. I probably would have got away with it but why go through court for a grade A race baiting c***. It put me off the nation of Scotland for a pretty long time.
    Vile.

In what circumstances? Drunk? Middle of the day?
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

How do you do it, Leon?

Do they all have weird fetishes for flint dildos or something?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I’m about 8 pints deep in Durham. Such a weird atmosphere. Everyone feels relief but also hesitance.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

When, say, a Tory like HYUFD comes out with some offensive position - like sending tanks over Hadrian's Wall - his fellow Tories are quite happy to denounce him, and distance themselves

When a Nat like Stuart Dickson comes up with 100% full-fat Powellite Blut Und Boden Scottish ethno-nationalism, his fellow Nats just murmur politely, or say nothing, or quietly tip-toe away, they do not call him out. Loyalty, or cowardice? Perhaps both

For once in your PB life you could show a bit of backbone and say a fellow Nat is talking offensive nonsense

Perhaps more to the point, "your fellow countrymen" is hopelessly ambiguous. It cane from a PBTory in the middle of a debate about whether the correct designation for the so-called British is, well, British (but as any fule kno that is hopelessly ambiguous in NI and the adjacent parts of Scotland and the correct answer is subject of HMTQ of the UK etc). And the only definition of a Scot in PBToryland is a blood definition (as seen by the constant chorus of demand to allow e.g. Mr Cameron a vote in indyref2).

So Mr Dickson was merely being polite in answering the question in the terms and mindset of the original questioner, and it hardly seems fair to monster him for that. You'd complain - and PBTories most certainly do - if one uses a different definition of Scot.
    He said this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/majority-of-scottish-born-voters-said-yes-z7v2mmhc8nt
    Yes, despite all Carnyx's guff (and how disappointing from the most urbane Nat on here) what Stuart Dickson said is obvious: his "fellow countrymen" are Scots born in Scotland. That's it. Everyone else is not truly Scottish, not a "fellow countryman", and if they don't embrace Scottish independence they are..... God knows what he thinks.

At the core of Nat ideology is ethnocentricity and anti-Englishness. Twas ever thus. All the rest- from civic Nationalism to pro-EU sentiment - is transient fancy packaging designed to disguise this central and rather unpleasant ethos. We know this because the pro-EU thing is a completely new invention, given that a YES vote in 2014 meant instant departure from the EU.
    Take 100 random SNP voters. Take 100 random English Leave voters. Which group will have the larger racist quotient, do we think?

Does anti-English xenophobia count as racism or not?
    Let's say nativist nationalism instead of racism. More precise and pertinent to the discussion.
    No it's not, because it is specifically aimed at the English. I've witnessed it. Dislike of a particular people just because of their nationality. It's racism
    Yes that's not incorrect. So who's more racist and/or nativist nationalist then? Our 100 SNPers or our 100 England dwelling Leavers?

It's a serious non trick question. I'm not doing the barrister thing where I already have the answer.
    I would say there is more anti-English sentiment openly expressed in Nat circles than openly racist sentiment in "Leaver circles" - whatever the latter might be

That might just be because "racism" in England is socially so unacceptable, whereas "Anglophobia" is still quasi-tolerated up north?

Who knows. Hard to measure and understand these things
    Anti English people is different to anti Westminster government of course. I'd hope it was mainly the latter. If not then that would be an unwelcome discovery for me.

No offence, though, but I'd have to hear it from sources that I don't already have down as being very viscerally opposed to the notion of Scotland voting for independence.
    No, it's quite definitely anti-English - as a nation, and a people

Of course it is a joke haha, but amongst the jolly banter there will be real snarls, edged with bitterness

You see it on here. I say that as someone who supports Scottish independence as a point of principle.
    We see the intense nastiness of English nationalists on here on a daily basis, it is not a pretty sight and explains why they are hated the world over.
  • Options

The Champs-Élysées is so full of tear gas that you can't see:

https://twitter.com/ClementLanot/status/1418972937823080460

LOL at the first reply:

Hi there! I was checking if the MailOnline could use this with full credit to you? Terms here. https://dailym.ai/2oWCd6S. -Thanks, RW /
    Salut! J'espère que vous allez bien et en sécurité. Je vérifiais si MailOnline pouvait l'utiliser avec tout le crédit pour vous ? -Merci, RW

https://twitter.com/MailOnlineVideo/status/1418974926770515969
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

How do you do it, Leon?

I dunno. It's a knack

I should say this was the first in a while - lockdown was not kind to me

My only advice is: buy nice drinks, be confident, make them laugh

And wear nice shoes. That's important. Shoes
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    I'm partaking in a YouGov poll about The Hundred.

This might be fun.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Let's say nativist nationalism instead of racism. More precise and pertinent to the discussion.
    No it's not, because it is specifically aimed at the English. I've witnessed it. Dislike of a particular people just because of their nationality. It's racism
    Yes that's not incorrect. So who's more racist and/or nativist nationalist then? Our 100 SNPers or our 100 England dwelling Leavers?

It's a serious non trick question. I'm not doing the barrister thing where I already have the answer.
    I would say there is more anti-English sentiment openly expressed in Nat circles than openly racist sentiment in "Leaver circles" - whatever the latter might be

That might just be because "racism" in England is socially so unacceptable, whereas "Anglophobia" is still quasi-tolerated up north?

Anti English people is different to anti Westminster government of course. I'd hope it was mainly the latter. If not then that would be an unwelcome discovery for me.

No offence, though, but I'd have to hear it from sources that I don't already have down as being very viscerally opposed to the notion of Scotland voting for independence.

Of course it is a joke haha, but amongst the jolly banter there will be real snarls, edged with bitterness

You see it on here. I say that as someone who supports Scottish independence as a point of principle.
    We see the intense nastiness of English nationalists on here on a daily basis, it is not a pretty sight and explains why they are hated the world over.
    You are seeing what you want to see, Malc.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    edited July 2021

Cyclefree said:

You can talk about savoury snacks. Would you prefer Popchips or Hula Hoops?
    Have never eaten either. They sound horrible.
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

That'll be such a short header it will be all but invisible.

Title: Cricket

Header: Why?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Paul Lever @paul_lever

That pipeline opening, is about the last remaining obstacle to Russia properly invading Ukraine. :cry:
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

How do you do it, Leon?

I dunno. It's a knack

It’s a knap, shurely?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Yeah. My wife doesn’t know I’m English. If she found out she’d divorce me.

Why do you Scot Nats perpetuate this “the English are hated the world over” shite when so many of us on this board have lived abroad or are married to people from overseas?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

How do you do it, Leon?

I dunno. It's a knack

It’s a knap, shurely?
    Aha!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, it’s admirably succinct.

Then @Ishmael_Z and I can get on with making awesome puns about pasta.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

Ummm, what happened to your wife?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Your nasty posts make me feel the same way , think you need to look in a mirror. if you are half as bad in real life as the scumbag you come across as on here then it is no wonder people hate you.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

That's better than what I (well my wife but me indirectly) got in London. "Why are you fucking a paki when there's proper men around". It's probably the most angry I've ever been, I genuinely wanted to smash his face into a million pieces but decided against it. I probably would have got away with it but why go through court for a grade A race baiting c***.
    Yeah - that puts it in perspective. Didn’t want to portray myself as a victim. Much worse happens as you say.
    It has made me very wary of interacting with Scottish men and I know it shouldn't. I've definitely always got my guard up now. I've been married to or dating my wife for 9 years, the only time I've ever been racially abused over it was by a Scottish person in London. We've travelled the world together, been all over Eastern Europe, to the US multiple times and to Russia. We never even got as much as a funny look in those places but in my home city, in a bar that I've been to countless times it happens. I thought the world had moved on from this stuff but apparently not.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be socialising with my wife's friends but instead I'm sitting out at the BBQ pretending it needs tending to. 😆
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Leon said:

spudgfsh said:

I'm wondering with The Hundred if we should pick a team based upon our favourite savoury snack, instead of location?

For County Cricket I can enjoy Lancashire at Old Trafford but the notion of supporting an out and out Manchester club is not OK.

Similarly being from Lancashire supporting a Yorkshire club seems like it certainly shouldn't be allowed.

But the Popchips Super Chargers could work if they're not claiming to represent Yorkshire.

I was sceptical at first but I'm enjoying the cricket without having a horse in the race. The innings from Rodrigues earlier was outstanding.
    Indeed. I was skeptical but I've had the Hundred on almost every day this week and am enjoying the quality of the Cricket, despite not having a team to support. Its nice to have it on daily too.

It still could have been T20, but I hate to say - it is fun.
    I'm the same. I was very skeptical. I really like it. Fast colourful cricket is exactly as you say. FUN

I think you'll find that 'cricket of colour' is the appropriate term.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Because it’s a socially acceptable excuse, for day-drinking with a bunch of friends?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

@Cyclefree is there an Italian pasta dish with an anchovy mayonnaise kind of sauce? If not there should be. Very cheap and easy to make.

Puttanesca.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

Why do you Scot Nats perpetuate this “the English are hated the world over” shite when so many of us on this board have lived abroad or are married to people from overseas?
    "Hated" is far too strong a word, but the insight is not entirely false. The English stir up feelings which many other nations do not, for good and bad. Feelings of wariness, envy, resentment, curiosity - often out of all proportion to modern reality

It's because we recently had the biggest empire in the world, and still wield a load of soft power, and of course the world speaks English, follows many English norms, plays English sports

Even nations as faraway as Iran have a *thing* about the English, even nations as mighty as China. Perfidious Albion is a genuine bogeyman for a quite a few countries. And we were the colonial masters so often

Meh. It's better than being ignored or patronised, like most other countries
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

I have for some time been suffering from covid fatigue syndrome. Alas this is not a physical illness but a self-diagnosed mental disorder whereby the individual becomes resistant to following the latest news about covid. What I really mean is that my understanding of the current situation is a bit limited. However I am starting to feel a bit more optimistic and was wondering what fellow pbers thought.

The number of cases is starting to fall. Deaths have of course risen but the third 'wave' is the equivalent of a very minor aftershock on the charts. I can't comment on the current demands being placed on the health service but it's hard to see them being overwhelmed. Is my optimism misplaced?

I am cautiously optimistic but still waiting to see how things play out over the next few weeks with respect to the hospitals; cases strike me as a much, much less reliable measure than patients in hospital, and the latter is the overriding concern.

I have a theory that the ongoing increase in hospital patient numbers for the country as a whole will level off, at some moderate fraction of that seen during previous waves of the disease (and before they reach the point where the healthcare system is seriously distressed, causing ministers to panic and reach for the lockdown lever again.) It is the kind of outcome that the data from the early centres of the Delta outbreak suggest ought to happen.
  • Options

Spaghetti con olive e capperi. Pasta with olives and capers - a staple of my childhood. Spaghetti with olive oil, olives (stoned) obviously and capers and seasoning to taste.

Puttanesca sauce has tomatoes, olives and anchovies.

In summer my two favourites are lemon sauce (Amalfi lemons) or courgettes and mint. Cut up the courgettes very finely into something resembling matchsticks. Lightly and quickly stir fry with some olive oil then mix with pasta and lots of fresh mint from your garden. Delicious!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

They assume everyone else have unhappy marriages ?
    Seems unlikely.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Saturday evening at the Star of Kings, too early to be significantly drunk or coked up though.

Basically she went out for a fag, he hit on her as she is really very, very sexy, got rejected and then he obviously saw us together later on and decided to be a racist c***.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Because.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

Ummm, what happened to your wife?
    We consciously uncoupled a year ago! It was sad for both. I shan't say any more
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Puttanesca.
    That's brothel or whores' sauce isn't it, etymologically? And like Capriccio (sp? etymologically at the chef's whim) pizza gets the nearly expired leftovers..
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341

MaxPB said:

So has there been no case data today? Are we not getting that until tomorrow now?

31.7k iirc.
    Thanks! Is that all 4 nations?

My forecast last weekend for the game of predicting the reported peak was really far off - I predicted reported on 24/7 at 75,997 cases (39% increase on last week's data).

Looks like today's data is less than half of my forecast. 😲
    It’s starting to look like the case rise was slowing, then got a huge bump from the euro final and that has now dropped out.
    This weekend for the first time since February last year, took the girls to a (belated) birthday party for a classmate. Unsurprisingly most of the conversation I had with the fellow parents while the kids played on a bouncy castle was about the virus etc - the general consensus was that everyone in the group was expecting a lockdown this winter. I was the only one that is not expecting another lockdown.

I remain convinced that the UK pretty much has large elements of herd immunity already that will prevent another lockdown being necessary, since ~92% of adults have antibodies already, and that the virus is just currently filling in the gaps in the sections of society that have large elements of unvaccinated people: the very young, or vaccine refuseniks.

Cases will spread now over the summer, but minimal in the way of deaths as we've seen. The same again may occur in September when schools reopen. But there won't be any reason to have a winter lockdown.

If I'm right on that, then I think expectations are so low that the government might get some credit for beating expectations.
    The people talking about booster shots in autumn or winter are presumably less sanguine than you.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Spaghetti con olive e capperi. Pasta with olives and capers - a staple of my childhood. Spaghetti with olive oil, olives (stoned) obviously and capers and seasoning to taste.

In summer my two favourites are lemon sauce (Amalfi lemons) or courgettes and mint. Cut up the courgettes very finely into something resembling matchsticks. Lightly and quickly stir fry with some olive oil then mix with pasta and lots of fresh mint from your garden. Delicious!
    I'm growing three kinds of courgette and two kinds of mint!
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I have a new girlfriend

She is 23

How do you do it, Leon?

I dunno. It's a knack

I thought you were married to one.

Perhaps I just lost track of the merry go round.
  • Options
    Top pasta sauce tip. (@Cyclefree look away now.)

You can use pureed tofu as a thickener. It works really well, because it's very smooth and silky. It also soaks up flavours - particularly mushroom or spicy things like szechuan peppercorns.
  • Options
    RIP Steven Weinberg.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Puttanesca.
    That's brothel or whores' sauce isn't it, etymologically? And like Capriccio (sp? etymologically at the chef's whim) pizza gets the nearly expired leftovers..
    Yes - puttana means prostitute.

My mother's ragu - bolognese as it's generally known - is the best sauce on the planet. As was her zabaglione.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Saturday evening at the Star of Kings, too early to be significantly drunk or coked up though.

Basically she went out for a fag, he hit on her as she is really very, very sexy, got rejected and then he obviously saw us together later on and decided to be a racist c***.
    Probably hadn't had sex for six years. You did well not to react, probably made him feel angrier - and smaller
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Cyclefree said:

Whatever you do don't grow the mint in the ground. It's a thug, will take over and you'll never get rid of it. Always grow in a pot.

Courgettes flowers in batter - oh my!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I'm growing one kind of courgette, which currently has no courgettes on it.

First year, so much to learn.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    pigeon said:

I am cautiously optimistic but still waiting to see how things play out over the next few weeks with respect to the hospitals; cases strike me as a much, much less reliable measure than patients in hospital, and the latter is the overriding concern.

I have a theory that the ongoing increase in hospital patient numbers for the country as a whole will level off, at some moderate fraction of that seen during previous waves of the disease (and before they reach the point where the healthcare system is seriously distressed, causing ministers to panic and reach for the lockdown lever again.) It is the kind of outcome that the data from the early centres of the Delta outbreak suggest ought to happen.
    I'm feeling reasonably hopeful too. I think it'll be a year or two before it's globally under control, so international travel will still be risky, but domestically I think the worst is probably over. The main query is duration of vaccination effect and how good the boosters are.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Isn’t there a recipe with Amalfi lemons and anchovies, too ?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Probably hadn't had sex for six years. You did well not to react, probably made him feel angrier - and smaller
    It's the exactly kind of small dick energy I've come to expect from Scottish men. My wife actually said a few years after once we were married that was one of the moments when she realised she was with the right guy who was mature enough not to react, if it had happened when I was in my early 20s instead of in my mid-late 20s I would have smashed his c*** face into a million pieces. He was a rat faced 5'6" shithead.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Cyclefree said:

Cheese graters trigger me ever since a female friend told me

'You know you've been single for too long when you can grate a big block of cheese in under ten seconds.'

Grating cheese after that....
    No worries then. Neither a cheese-grater nor a corkscrew here. Are there really still bottles of wine without screwtops?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Politics is so strange. The initial Government reaction to the pandemic can be credibly claimed to have cost thousands of lives. The public reaction? "Fine, carry on." If we as individuals cause even one death by carelessness, we risk a prison sentence. Now there's been a bit of a shambolic relaxation as the pandemic declines. The public reaction? "The Government is a disaster!"

Two posisibilities:

1. The stones-in-a-lake theory. Bad impressions accumulate, apparently having no effect, but eventually they accumulate and break surface.

2. The "rules don't apply to us" thing really damaged Johnson, in exactly the same eway that Barnards Castle cut through for Cummings. People forgive mistakes, but not hypocrisy?
    I think people recognise that the pandemic is hard and people are doing their best. So long as choices appear reasonable and fair they will cut them a lot of slack.

Taking the piss, nah. Not so much
  • Options

pigeon said:

I'm feeling reasonably hopeful too. I think it'll be a year or two before it's globally under control, so international travel will still be risky, but domestically I think the worst is probably over. The main query is duration of vaccination effect and how good the boosters are.
    I think, from my limited understanding, that the vaccination “effect” will be long term - that is not to say that vaccines will prevent symptomatic disease forever, efficacy in that regard will decline, but what they will do is train a previously naive immune system to fight off a disease it previously had no exposure to. A serious disease becomes a much less serious disease in other words.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Interesting.

He said this:

"Hated" is far too strong a word, but the insight is not entirely false. The English stir up feelings which many other nations do not, for good and bad. Feelings of wariness, envy, resentment, curiosity - often out of all proportion to modern reality

It's because we recently had the biggest empire in the world, and still wield a load of soft power, and of course the world speaks English, follows many English norms, plays English sports

Even nations as faraway as Iran have a *thing* about the English, even nations as mighty as China. Perfidious Albion is a genuine bogeyman for a quite a few countries. And we were the colonial masters so often

Meh. It's better than being ignored or patronised, like most other countries
    You're confusing English and Brittish there, and most people abroad do the same (especially outside europe).30 years ago, outside of football and Rugby, there wasn't much of a sense of Englishness as it was more combined with Britishness. Since devolution there's less of the English that consider themselves British (I've certainly been on that particular journey).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Someone sent me this rather charming letter to Private Eye.

Sir,

It's unkind to use a classics degree as shorthand for "Bluster Lies and Deceit" that characterise the current government and I say that writing from my office in a university bioscience department. The sciences can and will save lives, especially in the face of climate change and current and future pandemics, but classics and the other humanities are going to be what makes those lives worth living afterwards.

The problem with Boris Johnson's response to the pandemic isn't that he studied classics: It's that he's a twat.

John Boswell.
    Durham
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Paul Lever @paul_lever

Given the Nordstream pipeline had just a single contract underpinning it (between a collection of Germany power companies on the one side and Gazprom on the other), it's unclear to me why either any other EU country or the EU itself would have had a say in its future.

While still in the EU, the UK and Norway (well, really Shell, Exxon and Statoil) created the Langeled pipeline, and I'm pretty sure than neither the EU nor any other EU countries were involved. (Except possibly Ireland, because they had a reexport agreement in place with the UK.)
    I think there has been a directive or two since. Consequences for Ukraine look quite extreme. But they have some rights under their association agreement with the EU.

Refs:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-poland-condemn-nord-stream-2-deal-vow-action/
    https://www.politico.eu/article/us-and-germany-have-nord-stream-2-pipeline-deal-but-lack-authority-to-implement-it/
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

You did well to resist the temptation to just raise an eyebrow and enquire, “Where?”
    It would probably have ended with the racist loser taking a swing.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Whatever you do don't grow the mint in the ground. It's a thug, will take over and you'll never get rid of it. Always grow in a pot.

Courgettes flowers in batter - oh my!
    I have planted them in the ground, but on my wild side near the opium poppies I accidentally planted. And I'm now not very worried about the mint as I've just heard today from my landlord that he's selling the house.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFdBcYN3sNw

Possibly the best Top Gear segment ever
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cheese graters trigger me ever since a female friend told me

'You know you've been single for too long when you can grate a big block of cheese in under ten seconds.'

Grating cheese after that....
    No worries then. Neither a cheese-grater nor a corkscrew here. Are there really still bottles of wine without screwtops?
    You’re a fan of Dido, then ?
    (Her sole positive contribution to British society.)
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

pigeon said:

I think, from my limited understanding, that the vaccination “effect” will be long term - that is not to say that vaccines will prevent symptomatic disease forever, efficacy in that regard will decline, but what they will do is train a previously naive immune system to fight off a disease it previously had no exposure to. A serious disease becomes a much less serious disease in other words.
    And like Flu there will be annual booster shots for the most vulnerable.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that happened @MaxPB, you sounded like you handled it with maturity, I would have definitely asked for help to smash that twat's face in
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

It's the exactly kind of small dick energy I've come to expect from Scottish men. My wife actually said a few years after once we were married that was one of the moments when she realised she was with the right guy who was mature enough not to react, if it had happened when I was in my early 20s instead of in my mid-late 20s I would have smashed his c*** face into a million pieces. He was a rat faced 5'6" shithead.
    It has something I've experienced a few times.

It is one of the reasons I'm not keen on visiting Eastern Europe, been on trips to Prague and Sofia, you could see the locals eyes popping at me and my other halves.

Fortunately it doesn't happen in the UK that much. Back in 2009 the EDL weren't happy with me for having a white English girlfriend, but I work on the basis if they hate me then I must be doing something right.
    That's always been my view as well mate. The more those people hate us the more we need to keep on doing what we're doing.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Staying calm isn't easy but usually best?

If someone ever threatened my kids, however, the red mist would descend. I could probably murder to defend my kids. I am sure most parents feel the same
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Don’t panic. When they start, they won’t stop...
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

very good...

:smile:
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

If someone ever threatened my kids, however, the red mist would descend. I could probably murder to defend my kids. I am sure most parents feel the same
    The trick is to keep calm, find out who they are and where they live, and have friends who are capable of giving them a visit.
  • Options

Sorry to hear that happened @MaxPB, you sounded like you handled it with maturity, I would have definitely asked for help to smash that twat's face in

Thanks, it's one of those things that happens but shouldn't and makes me chuckle when I hear predominantly white commentators say that there's no racism in this country.

As @TheScreamingEagles says, if what I'm doing is pissing these types of people off then I'm doing something right.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Anyhoo we've had a very informative view of the bigotry of the Cybernats today and the defence of them by the other Cybernats.
  • Options
    Spaghetti alle vongole is also delicious.
  • Options

Anyhoo we've had a very informative view of the bigotry of the Cybernats today.

It's not been a good day for them.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

The trick is to keep calm, find out who they are and where they live, and have friends who are capable of giving them a visit.
    Yes.

Revenge. Dish. Cold

It is nearly always the best policy. And more satisfying
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Thanks, it's one of those things that happens but shouldn't and makes me chuckle when I hear predominantly white commentators say that there's no racism in this country.

As @TheScreamingEagles says, if what I'm doing is pissing these types of people off then I'm doing something right.
    You keep doing what you're doing mate, I know all decent people will be in agreement with that
  • Options
    All credit to the Saffer video ref. I think his decisions were perfect.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

I’m as soft as shite but I once developed a totally undeserved reputation as Trinity College Oxford’s resident hard man when me and my now wife were casually dating but not going steady yet. Another bloke took her to a posh dinner (may have been the OUCA dinner actually) and I ran into them in front quad where she was absolutely leathered. I told said other bloke that if anything happened to her I would bite a chunk out of his neck and spit in the hole. Obviously I would never dream of such a thing - but now she’s married to me. Ran into him at a gaudy a few years back - was all a bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You don't get it.

Vile.

Yes.

Revenge. Dish. Cold

It is nearly always the best policy. And more satisfying
    Revenge is also sweet, so revenge is cold dish and sweet.

Revenge = Ice Cream.
  • Options
    A bloke tried to strangle me in a nightclub once, because I looked at him funny (?), anyway the bouncer was behind him and I took much joy in seeing him be immediately removed
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Spaghetti alle vongole is also delicious.

Can you get fresh clams?
This discussion has been closed.