Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CON lead slips to 13% with YouGov that has the Greens in third place ahead of the LDs – politicalbet

Comments

• Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,631
    Pagan2 said:

felix said:

The EU leaders have their own table away from the G7 crowd.

I see they actually had chairs for both the women! Progress!
    In before claims of sexism over this picture...women know your place....

If its the G7 why are their 9 of them are they innumerate?
    And why is there no ST Pirrans flag?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Vomp said:

TOPPING said:

Most depressing news of the day? Exercise increases risk of MND.

Small print: only for those few who have a genetic predisposition. But many others will hear it as a reason to stay lardarsed. The way this is being reported is utterly crap for public health. Radio 4 prefaced it with "As some of us have long suspected" and then basically said exercise risks your health. "Here you go, here's a good taunt to throw at the family member who likes Lycra, goes for a jog before breakfast, and doesn't stuff his face with crisps, and probably has a life expectancy 15 years longer than yours. He thought he was so smart. But actually you're the smart one. Have some more crisps."

Meanwhile are there any stats for the incidence and severity of side-effects of the various SARSCoV2 vaccines, preferably broken down by age? A niece in her mid-20s asked me about this. Sensible question if she's to make an informed choice. (Just to be clear: I'm not interested in any sites that mention Bill Gates, George Soros, nanotech, etc.)

Yes the messaging was shocking. And they had the gall to say "we don't want to tell people not to exercise..."

And as for vaccine side effects be careful on here (welcome btw) - a very sensible question from your neice but just the merest hint that the vaccines might not be 100% safe with zero side effects gets you branded a flat-earther. Or that Covid would be XXX times worse. Which wasn't the question.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited June 2021

Stocky said:

Footy fans: There has ben a notable absence of Euro tips on PB.Com.

As matches start this evening does any of you football watchers have any betting ideas? @TSE , @Foxy , @Peter_the_Punter ?

Been laying England and Spain.

Assuming no Covid-19 complications, I've been topping up on France winning it.

I thought having fans in at Wembley would help England but it has the potential to be very toxic.
    I'd not want to get carried away laying England. Harry Kane was top scorer last time and he won't lack ammunition from midfield. It is true our defence looks a bit shaky but I'd not risk the rent money on that.

ETA like you, I've topped up on France (6.2 on Betfair; 9/2 generally with the books).
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    edited June 2021

Pagan2 said:

SKS has managed to lead Lab to a double digit deficit without a hostile media.

Just think how low they could go and how many seats they could lose when the media turns their guns on his remain and DPP record.

Cant understand why any Lab sympathiser thinks he is the right person to turn this round when all the evidence shows he isnt

If only if Corbyn hadn't been so shit then Laura Piddock would replace Starmer before the next GE.
    She still could if she gets a by election win. It would add to the gaiety of the nation
    In a little over two years she managed to lose a safe Labour council seat and parliamentary constituency.

In a little under 2 months SKS has managed to lose 400 safe Council seats that even Jezza held and by 1 July two safe Parliamentary seats held even by Corbyn.

Put that in your Centrists pipe and smoke it.

SKS is voter repellent even if he makes you feel less threatened.

I am happy to have a centrist lead Labour as long as its someone like AB (KotN)
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

On topic, my return to the office has been delayed, instead of the 5th of July, it is now 26th of July (at the earliest).

Boooooo!

But will will a delay to freedom day cause the government a hit in the polls? I have my doubts.

Depends how many years we're left waiting, and how many people are bankrupted/sacked in the meantime, I suppose.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    They should have put Macron next to Trudeau.....

With host Boris Johnson for very symbolic G7 leaders photo were Biden at his right and France's Emmanuel Macron at his left. Also in front: Germany's Angela Merkel and Canada's Justin Trudeau. In the back row: Italy's Mario Draghi and Japan's Yoshihide Suga plus the EU leaders.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1403347932611502085?s=20
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Scotland will join England in taking a knee when the teams meet at Wembley but will stand against racism in their home group matches at Euro 2020.

Scared of their own fans reaction?

Cake and eat it. Victims when the racist English fans boo, but no danger of their own fans getting the same scrutiny.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pagan2 said:

felix said:

The EU isn't even one of the G7 yet choose to send 2 people to the G7.

I guess their Unity isn't enough to ensure that France, Germany and Italy can adequately represent the EU on their own.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

509,645 vaccinations in Flag of United Kingdom yesterday

Flag of England 173,443 1st doses / 248,650 2nd doses
    Flag of Scotland 17,846 / 30,065
    Flag of Wales 6,180 / 22,111
    NI 4,138 / 7,212

Yeah, but variants, innit.

We'll be starting again soon.

As Zahawi indicated to JHB this morning.

Freedom will be yours when we've all had the booster!

Believe that and you really will believe anything.
    Did they weld you into your house or something? You should call the fire brigade and get them to release you.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited June 2021

NI 4,138 / 7,212

How are you coping with the pubs not reopening last month?

Oh wait, they did open despite you saying they wouldn't.
    Well lets see. Am I really so wrong? Some pubs have reopened. Some have closed for good, never to re-open.

When Johnson sh8ts his pants again, as he is bound to do, many more will close because they are operating at a loss in hope of a full re-opening shortly.

So are the pubs open really? TSE....?? you could argue that it IS a fake opening.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

fpt about SKS being doomed because he is a remainer.

Not to say he isn't and I've no idea after the bollocks that the EU indulged in over the vaccines/Ireland, etc what the overall public view is, but do we expect every politician to fall in behind the policies of the winner of the election they've just lost?

Should Lab win in 2024 (don't laugh) will the Cons adopt all the Lab policies because the public has spoken?

Not just because he was a Remainer, but because he actively tried to overturn the referendum result when he was Labour’s Brexit Sec. Politicians who campaigned for Remain but accepted the result and voted to enable Brexit rather than refusing to have it are a different kettle of fish
    Burnham of course was not pushing hard for EUref2 like Starmer was while also being more centrist than Corbyn, hence he remains Labour's best potential leader but as he is still not an MP that is merely hypothetical at present

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/labours-andy-burnham-slams-arrogant-second-brexit-vote-campaigners
    kinabalu said:

1st

Like the Tories until SKS goes

Maybe. He's certainly in a hole. But I don't see the point of trying to agitate him out right now. He has to be given a year or so to see if he can get some traction.
    He's had a year. That went well.

Be fun to see what he can do with another.

Maybe he should be given two elections, like Corbyn.

Pagan2 said:

felix said:

The EU isn't even one of the G7 yet choose to send 2 people to the G7.

I guess their Unity isn't enough to ensure that France, Germany and Italy can adequately represent the EU on their own.
    presumably the germans , french and italians need 2 minders to make sure they toe the eu line. Just like before the fall of the berlin wall atheletes , ballerina's etc used to get minders
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    Pathetic reporting...is this what passes as "journalism" these days?

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1403348883414061057?s=20

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Did they weld you into your house or something? You should call the fire brigade and get them to release you.
    YOU can swallow the government's garbage if you want William. Nobody is forcing you not to.
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

I mean FFS what else does fate have in store for us?

It does? MND has been very prevalent amongst rugby players of both codes. Doddie Weir and Rob Burrow being high profile examples. There was a suspicion it might be linked to head injuries.
    The story is on the BBC website. Worth a read (in full). And as for only for those genetically disposed it also says: "many of the genes known to increase the risk of MND change their behaviour in response to exercise" which imo is ambiguous meaning those genes where there is a disposition to MND change, or perfectly "healthy" genes minding their own business are transformed into possible MND genes...
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

They are not pubs as you or I know them. It is a huge faff. As is going to the theatre. Or buying a packet of fags from the newsagent.
    That's true. But this little bar I like to go to - Belsize area - you wouldn't even know there was a pandemic on.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

dixiedean said:

PB lawyers and assorted brains.
    Paid the first month instalment of Council Tax. Meant to set up a direct debit but forgot. (There has been a little going on).
    Got a court summons today for £1638 plus £50 costs. No reminder nor anything.
    Is this legal?
    I mean we can afford to pay and have done, but plenty of vulnerable people couldn't. And we are only about six weeks overdue on the next instalment. Can they demand we pay for the full year? What if we are moving or get hit by a truck?
    At the very least it seems an utterly unnecessary escalation on the Council's part.

No, they have to send two reminder notices before they can move to enforcement action.
    Thought so. Thanks.
    We did have a couple of reminders last year, as they decided to move from yearly declaration of self employed income to quarterly (during a pandemic!!).
    Therefore we were eligible for a reduction in April through June.
    Which resulted in a re-calculation of the bill seemingly every fortnight for most of last year.
    They also seem to have completely given up on asking for income information. Presumably as too many are eligible.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    Catching up.

Is there a decent link explaining this threefold+ surge in a week, as reported rather excitedly by Jane Merrick?

Am I correct that the new testing method has found a lot more cases, so a comparable sample with last week would give an increase of the same as previous weeks?

Cheers
    edited June 2021
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

It does? MND has been very prevalent amongst rugby players of both codes. Doddie Weir and Rob Burrow being high profile examples. There was a suspicion it might be linked to head injuries.
    The story is on the BBC website. Worth a read (in full). And as for only for those genetically disposed it also says: "many of the genes known to increase the risk of MND change their behaviour in response to exercise" which imo is ambiguous meaning those genes where there is a disposition to MND change, or perfectly "healthy" genes minding their own business are transformed into possible MND genes...
    "He hopes the next step will be carrying out research to identify which individuals are genetically vulnerable to the disease and how their levels of exercise increase the risk of developing it."

https://news.sky.com/story/motor-neurone-disease-research-finds-link-between-strenuous-exercise-and-mnd-12330081

The University of Sheffield study found exercise is likely to cause motor neurone injury only in patients with a risk-genotype and said people should not stop exercising as a result of the study.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-11/exercise-increases-risk-of-motor-neurone-disease-study-finds
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

As I understand it the concern is that MND is statistically more prevalent amongst those that push their bodies hard like elite atheletes. However I would caution that correlation is not causation it may just mean the genes that cause MND may be more prone to make people push their bodies hard
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Not to say he isn't and I've no idea after the bollocks that the EU indulged in over the vaccines/Ireland, etc what the overall public view is, but do we expect every politician to fall in behind the policies of the winner of the election they've just lost?

Should Lab win in 2024 (don't laugh) will the Cons adopt all the Lab policies because the public has spoken?

Not just because he was a Remainer, but because he actively tried to overturn the referendum result when he was Labour’s Brexit Sec. Politicians who campaigned for Remain but accepted the result and voted to enable Brexit rather than refusing to have it are a different kettle of fish
    If he campaigned to do that presumably that was because he believed there was a constituency which was receptive to that. Not a large enough one, it turned out, but as a political strategy it is perfectly rational, if unsuccessful to date.
    Yeah he can do what he likes, but I think him doing so is a big reason he’s polling the same as Corbyn personally, and his party worse than Jez’s worst election/losing safe Labour seats in by elections
    In my opinion a large part of that is the Covid non-opposition opposition strategy he has been adopting plus the nation is sh&t scared so is hanging onto nanny atm.

But yes we shall see.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    TOPPING said:

Vomp said:

TOPPING said:

Small print: only for those few who have a genetic predisposition. But many others will hear it as a reason to stay lardarsed. The way this is being reported is utterly crap for public health. Radio 4 prefaced it with "As some of us have long suspected" and then basically said exercise risks your health. "Here you go, here's a good taunt to throw at the family member who likes Lycra, goes for a jog before breakfast, and doesn't stuff his face with crisps, and probably has a life expectancy 15 years longer than yours. He thought he was so smart. But actually you're the smart one. Have some more crisps."

Meanwhile are there any stats for the incidence and severity of side-effects of the various SARSCoV2 vaccines, preferably broken down by age? A niece in her mid-20s asked me about this. Sensible question if she's to make an informed choice. (Just to be clear: I'm not interested in any sites that mention Bill Gates, George Soros, nanotech, etc.)

Yes the messaging was shocking. And they had the gall to say "we don't want to tell people not to exercise..."

And as for vaccine side effects be careful on here (welcome btw) - a very sensible question from your neice but just the merest hint that the vaccines might not be 100% safe with zero side effects gets you branded a flat-earther. Or that Covid would be XXX times worse. Which wasn't the question.
    Sigh... no. Side effects occur in all medicines. The side effects and risks of the vaccines have been published. Including by the secret underground organisations like MHRA, PHE etc etc.

The whole "You are silenced if you say that vaccines aren't 100% safe" is anti-vax garbage from page one of the Wakefield playbook.

There was even a government briefing, on TV and everything, that went through the risks vs benefits of taking AZN. Or did you miss that?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Brom said:

Scotland taking the knee now after pressure put on them by politicians/social media. I can go back to booing them now.

Bunch of weak lily livered tossers
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

If he campaigned to do that presumably that was because he believed there was a constituency which was receptive to that. Not a large enough one, it turned out, but as a political strategy it is perfectly rational, if unsuccessful to date.
    Yeah he can do what he likes, but I think him doing so is a big reason he’s polling the same as Corbyn personally, and his party worse than Jez’s worst election/losing safe Labour seats in by elections
    If it's his Remainerdom that's the problem how come his polling used to be quite good?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    Labour may end up having the same problem with the Greens that the German Social Democrats have had, with the latter now on 14% in the polls compared to the Greens on about 20%.
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

They are not pubs as you or I know them. It is a huge faff. As is going to the theatre. Or buying a packet of fags from the newsagent.
    That's true. But this little bar I like to go to - Belsize area - you wouldn't even know there was a pandemic on.
    I like that there are no queues at the bar and they all know your name. Really makes a place.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Paid the first month instalment of Council Tax. Meant to set up a direct debit but forgot. (There has been a little going on).
    Is this legal?
    I mean we can afford to pay and have done, but plenty of vulnerable people couldn't. And we are only about six weeks overdue on the next instalment. Can they demand we pay for the full year? What if we are moving or get hit by a truck?
    At the very least it seems an utterly unnecessary escalation on the Council's part.

Is the £1638 your actual Council tax and £50 the only charge for being late?
    Yes. Well it is 90%, as I paid the first instalment. Also had a court date in Bedlington for us.
    Did the arses not even send you a reminder.
    For those stuck for something to watch, the second half of the French Netflix series Lupin is out.
    Words to live by from 45:-
    Donald Trump: I trust Vladimir Putin more than US intelligence
    Former president tells Joe Biden to send Russian leader his 'warmest regards' and urges him stay awake during their meeting next week

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/11/donald-trump-says-trusts-vladimir-putin-us-intelligence-asks/ (£££)
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

I was out a couple of days ago, a fairly busy part of London. Apart from having to write a name and phone number down, we wandered around various pubs. I suppose if you only enjoy propping up the bar it might be a pain... ended the night wandering into a tiny cocktail bar in Islington.
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Labour may end up having the same problem with the Greens that the German Social Democrats have had, with the latter now on 14% in the polls compared to the Greens on about 20%.

Yes but Germany has PR so it does not matter there, votes translate directly into seats and if the Greens and SPD had enough seats to form a government together as they did from 1998-2005 they would. The same applies to New Zealand which also has PR and has also often seen Labour governments supported by the Greens.

In the UK under FPTP all a split Labour and Green vote does is elect more Tory MPs under FPTP

For those stuck for something to watch, the second half of the French Netflix series Lupin is out.

Anything like the Bureau? which is awesome.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Is this legal?

No, they have to send two reminder notices before they can move to enforcement action.
    Thought so. Thanks.
    We did have a couple of reminders last year, as they decided to move from yearly declaration of self employed income to quarterly (during a pandemic!!).
    Which resulted in a re-calculation of the bill seemingly every fortnight for most of last year.
    They also seem to have completely given up on asking for income information. Presumably as too many are eligible.
    My advice would be to give them a call and speak to them.

I know council finances are buggered because of Covid-19 so they might see this as low hanging fruit, but I suspect they'll be prepared to set up an arrangement/DD.
    malcolmg said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Is this legal?

Is the £1638 your actual Council tax and £50 the only charge for being late?
    Yes. Well it is 90%, as I paid the first instalment. Also had a court date in Bedlington for us.
    Did the arses not even send you a reminder.
    Nope. Ironically we have a Tory majority of 1. That being a bloke who paid no business rates for 2 years before going bust.
    edited June 2021

Stocky said:

Footy fans: There has ben a notable absence of Euro tips on PB.Com.

As matches start this evening does any of you football watchers have any betting ideas? @TSE , @Foxy , @Peter_the_Punter ?

Been laying England and Spain.

Assuming no Covid-19 complications, I've been topping up on France winning it.

I thought having fans in at Wembley would help England but it has the potential to be very toxic.
    I'd not want to get carried away laying England. Harry Kane was top scorer last time and he won't lack ammunition from midfield. It is true our defence looks a bit shaky but I'd not risk the rent money on that.

ETA like you, I've topped up on France (6.2 on Betfair; 9/2 generally with the books).
    Our defence is rubbish/injured.

I think Pickford's gone backwards.

I have money on Kane (via an offer) to be top goalscorer based on how selfish he is and how many penalties VAR generates.
    edited June 2021

Anything like the Bureau? which is awesome.
    Its sort of a French Ocean Eleven type thing. Quite an enjoyable twisty turny airy watch. Nothing ground breaking, but every episode has a nice twist.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Good GDP figures this morning, don't fuck it up by delaying freedom day Boris.

Pulpstar said:

201,607 308,128

Total needles in arms passes 70 million.

Great to see half a million done in a day and fantastic to see 70 million passed. 200k first doses is a very good number too.

I wonder how long before 18+ are freely invited to get vaccinations in England?
    The value of the vaccine currency is falling, Philip. PHE is intent on devaluing it.

New variants, you see.
    Will be fascinating to see if the vaccine bounce is still in effect when we get to October and the Government folds to new demands from SAGE that we lock down for another six months because (a) most people haven't had their third jab and (b) the Omicron-6 variant is 37% more transmissible than the Mu-4 variant.
    The vaccine bounce is already fading because the government's own health body is trying to undermine it. They are behaving far worse than any vaxx-ambivalent or anti-vaxxers are.

And so the government is in the extraordinary position of trumpeting a vaccine that it is at the same time starting to undermine.

What's important here, clearly, is control. What else could it be?
    Control freakery, terror of fucking up, health and safety fascism and the willingness of the public to plod on with weary obedience probably all feed into it. Meanwhile, the population of Germany is getting ready to fly off on holiday (and nobody there is shitting themselves over the fact that, with that many millions of people leaving the country at once, some of them are almost bound to bring the dreaded exotic variants back with them.)

At this rate we're going to be the last country in the developed world still titting about with distancing rules and capacity limits and bloody gags everywhere.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    dixiedean said:

Is this legal?

When we moved house 3 years ago within the same council area (actually only about 1km from the previous house) I presumed, wrongly, that the council tax and direct debit would transfer over. I only realised my mistake when a red reminder letter came through the door about outstanding payments. I paid the due and set up a new direct debit pretty smartly. It does seem like a very extreme approach given that you hadn't even had a reminder!
    tlg86 said:

Scotland will join England in taking a knee when the teams meet at Wembley but will stand against racism in their home group matches at Euro 2020.

Scared of their own fans reaction?

Cake and eat it. Victims when the racist English fans boo, but no danger of their own fans getting the same scrutiny.
    meow
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

If it's his Remainerdom that's the problem how come his polling used to be quite good?
    Well almost half the country did vote Remain so he was entitled to get an easy ride at the start in polls. But in the Red Wall Leave seats he is doomed. And at 65% of constituencies voted Leave, he is double doomed

Then, add in the fact he is dull as ditchwater, and it’s triple doomage!
    MaxPB said:

Good GDP figures this morning, don't fuck it up by delaying freedom day Boris.

Fear not, all set for June 21st!

In 2376.
    Interesting discussion about the Barbican estate on the previous thread.

If you've nothing to watch and five minutes to spare, here is an amusing split-screen video with Ronnie O'Sullivan making the maximum 147 in the same time it takes Peter Ebdon to score 12.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIyfLTFrN_U
    TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

Nah, I visited a few bars over the last bank holiday in Manchester.

No faffing, one was a straight walk in.

TOPPING said:

Vomp said:

TOPPING said:

Sigh... no. Side effects occur in all medicines. The side effects and risks of the vaccines have been published. Including by the secret underground organisations like MHRA, PHE etc etc.

The whole "You are silenced if you say that vaccines aren't 100% safe" is anti-vax garbage from page one of the Wakefield playbook.

There was even a government briefing, on TV and everything, that went through the risks vs benefits of taking AZN. Or did you miss that?
    It's extraordinary. So it's all done and dusted in your mind is it? Brand spanking new vaccine (which normally take years to develop), jet fresh out of the box and all of a sudden it's safe as houses. Not the tiniest chance that there might be side effects of one type or another.

Let's come back to my dear old aunt. Who said that her tinnitus worsened after her jabs. According to stats of those who submitted yellow cards (had never heard of them prior to that) 1 in 10,000 reported tinnitus. Other sources say it is 0.95% (all from google).

So a couple of questions for you, Mr Enquiring Mind

How many people haven't reported via the Yellow Card this or other side effects

If it is 1/10,000 or, as the other report said (sounds unlikely) 0.95% do you accept that this is a side effect of the vaccine that people were not told about?

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Is this legal?

Thought so. Thanks.

I know council finances are buggered because of Covid-19 so they might see this as low hanging fruit, but I suspect they'll be prepared to set up an arrangement/DD.
    Cheers for that.
    Weve just paid. So I suppose we are low hanging fruit. Can't say the same for others who won't have £1700 of savings neatly to hand.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249
    I am a genius. The day after I predicted that the Greens would supplant the Lib Dems. Uncanny. Sometimes I spook myself

Now, about those aleeyuns
    Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

As I understand it the concern is that MND is statistically more prevalent amongst those that push their bodies hard like elite atheletes. However I would caution that correlation is not causation it may just mean the genes that cause MND may be more prone to make people push their bodies hard
    Interesting.

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

So of the few bars one was a straight walk in. Plus no masks, and other crap, right?
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes but Germany has PR so it does not matter there, votes translate directly into seats and if the Greens and SPD had enough seats to form a government together as they did from 1998-2005 they would. The same applies to New Zealand which also has PR and has also often seen Labour governments supported by the Greens.

In the UK under FPTP all a split Labour and Green vote does is elect more Tory MPs under FPTP
    The Greens could challenge Labour strongly in the future in seats like Bristol West/Central, Brighton Kemptown, Hove, Norwich South, Sheffield Central, Glasgow Central, Cambridge, Oxford East. I'd be surprised if they don't, within 5 years.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Scotland taking the knee now after pressure put on them by politicians/social media. I can go back to booing them now.

How will we tell which team you're booing in Eng v Sco, or is that bogof?
    That's the point :)

Although Scotland aren't taking the knee in the other 2 matches so they only oppose racism on Fridays.
    Maybe they can set up a special non fans enclosure for you and these guys?

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Is this legal?

Thought so. Thanks.

Cheers for that.
    Weve just paid. So I suppose we are low hanging fruit. Can't say the same for others who won't have £1700 of savings neatly to hand.
    I meant low hanging fruit in terms of them getting attachment of earnings/benefits and getting the money that way.

Those are the ones I really worry about, it causes all sorts of problems for the people/families impacted.
    I don't think restrictions will hold...at the cricket.

https://twitter.com/stephanshemilt/status/1403331368659177478?s=20

Pulpstar said:

201,607 308,128

Great to see half a million done in a day and fantastic to see 70 million passed. 200k first doses is a very good number too.

The value of the vaccine currency is falling, Philip. PHE is intent on devaluing it.

New variants, you see.
    Will be fascinating to see if the vaccine bounce is still in effect when we get to October and the Government folds to new demands from SAGE that we lock down for another six months because (a) most people haven't had their third jab and (b) the Omicron-6 variant is 37% more transmissible than the Mu-4 variant.
    The vaccine bounce is already fading because the government's own health body is trying to undermine it. They are behaving far worse than any vaxx-ambivalent or anti-vaxxers are.

And so the government is in the extraordinary position of trumpeting a vaccine that it is at the same time starting to undermine.

Control freakery, terror of fucking up, health and safety fascism and the willingness of the public to plod on with weary obedience probably all feed into it. Meanwhile, the population of Germany is getting ready to fly off on holiday (and nobody there is shitting themselves over the fact that, with that many millions of people leaving the country at once, some of them are almost bound to bring the dreaded exotic variants back with them.)

At this rate we're going to be the last country in the developed world still titting about with distancing rules and capacity limits and bloody gags everywhere.
    Indeed, when we should have been the first to leave.

And do not think there won't be implications for being the last to leave,or not leaving restrictions at all. When the markets work out every other developed country has grown a pair except for Johnson's Britain, investors will start to differentiate in terms of debt and currency movements.

Then we will really see the completely bogus notion that there is some kind of 'safety' in keeping these restrictions and opening up is 'reckless'

Right now, keeping the restrictions is a gargantuan gamble.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

So of the few bars one was a straight walk in. Plus no masks, and other crap, right?
    As its G7 and you mentioned bars a small plug
    https://www.kernowchocolate.co.uk/chocolate/chocolate-bars/photographic-range/
    expensive but nice especially the chilli and lime
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    England should have picked a Spinner (for the Cricket, but it might work for the Football team too I suppose)
    Leon said:

I am a genius. The day after I predicted that the Greens would supplant the Lib Dems. Uncanny. Sometimes I spook myself

People have been talking about the Greens supplanting the Lib Dems for months.

If you're a genius for noticing this yesterday, it's a rather slow one.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Well almost half the country did vote Remain so he was entitled to get an easy ride at the start in polls. But in the Red Wall Leave seats he is doomed. And at 65% of constituencies voted Leave, he is double doomed

Then, add in the fact he is dull as ditchwater, and it’s triple doomage!
    Brexit is probably a red herring in explaining SKS's less than stellar polling. First is his strategy of non-opposition, so what's the point of voting Labour? More insidious is the impression for many people that Labour "is not on our side".
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

The Greens could challenge Labour strongly in the future in seats like Bristol West/Central, Brighton Kemptown, Hove, Norwich South, Sheffield Central, Glasgow Central, Cambridge, Oxford East. I'd be surprised if they don't, within 5 years.
    They could but that makes absolutely zero change to the chances of a centre left government under FPTP which requires Labour gains from the Tories in marginal seats, indeed the more the Greens take Labour votes in Tory marginal seats the greater the chance of the Tory MP being re elected
    CatMan said:

England should have picked a Spinner (for the Cricket, but it might work for the Football team too I suppose)

I don't understand why they keep making the same mistake of not choosing a spinner.
  • https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1403313660584464392

I am sure this will get brought up constantly just as it does for Keir Starmer. Boris Johnson a radical Marxist. Who would have thought?
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

Yup.

The joys of staying in a nice hotel with a bar on site, exclusively for residents.

Pulpstar said:

201,607 308,128

New variants, you see.

And do not think there won't be implications for being the last to leave,or not leaving restrictions at all. When the markets work out every other developed country has grown a pair except for Johnson's Britain, investors will start to differentiate in terms of debt and currency movements.

Then we will really see the completely bogus notion that there is some kind of 'safety' in keeping these restrictions and opening up is 'reckless'

Nah. We as a country are lapping it up.

World leading vaccine program leading to....fuck all.

I was speaking to a colleague in North America yesterday - super excited that Europe is opening up to them. I felt quite embarrassed.

But it's OK. @Andy_Cooke has explained that it is only the UK which has had the bad luck to have had the Indian variant.

Leon said:

And FWIW YouGov quite frequently show the Greens in third place. It's not even anything new.
    edited June 2021

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1403313660584464392

I am sure this will get brought up constantly just as it does for Keir Starmer. Boris Johnson a radical Marxist. Who would have thought?

Respects the right to protest... doesn't mean he will be taking the knee.

Fantastic. Gives me hope that the people responding to opinion polls saying lock us down harder and longer are lying shits.
    edited June 2021

Respects the right to protest... doesn't mean he will be taking the knee.
    Believing in free speech is all about respecting people's right to do/say something you don't agree with. Johnson gets it right again.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    "Keir Starmer says Boris Johnson’s reluctance to condemn fans who boo England player’s for taking the knee has undermined the team’s chances of success at the Euros"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/11/keir-starmer-accuses-boris-johnson-of-failure-of-leadership-in-anti-racism-row

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

Yup.

The joys of staying in a nice hotel with a bar on site, exclusively for residents.
    Yes well that would help. And out of interest what were the requirements so that you could stay at the hotel? And also, what about the other bars you went to?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

"Keir Starmer says Boris Johnson’s reluctance to condemn fans who boo England player’s for taking the knee has undermined the team’s chances of success at the Euros"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/11/keir-starmer-accuses-boris-johnson-of-failure-of-leadership-in-anti-racism-row

Yes, I'm sure Johnson's refusal/reluctance to condemn will be hugely influential in terms of their success.
    edited June 2021

As you probably know there aren't any restrictions at the cricket because of the official government experiment there. I was there yesterday and it was surprisingly easy to get used to being in a crush of people again after 15 months.

Though I suspect if some group started doing a gesture and you said well yes but thats the heil hitler salute and they said well yes its the same as they used but we are totally different you would totally understand it. BLM the marxist organisation have the taking the knee thing, whether you like it or not that is now associated with BLM the marxists. Just like that frog thing is now in peoples mind a far right symbol because some far right used it
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Do let us know when you find any non-loony party on their knees like this...

Leon said:

But they don’t have my immaculate timing. I can subconsciously sense moodshifts in the nation, the planet, the species. I am the unwitting conduit of divine foreknowledge

I should charge. But I won’t

God Starmer is a twat. What a stupid statement. Also, red wall waves and says oh so your now blaming all of us.
    And the woke won't like him caring more about the bloody football!
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    One thing that’s become more noticeable recently, as Labour, and Sir Keir in particular, have tumbled in the polls - the ‘one in a million’ shot, ‘the haymaker’ in boxing terms, has started to be given equal weighting with the data we have, the round by round schooling.

So Boris being thought of as more popular than Sir Keir on almost every metric, the Conservatives having unprecedented poll leads for a decade old party of government, the losing of safe seats, the lack of bounce from tv interviews/Confessions of a SPAD are brushed aside with “we’ll see’s”, and “you never know’s” as if they are comparable retorts

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Norwich South is an interesting example. When the Labour MP/candidate was Blairite Charles Clarke, the Green vote share went up to nearly 15%. Since the voters there have come to know the lefty, pro-Green Clive Lewis, and the Greens are losing their deposit again.

A lot of potential Green targets have similar Labour MPs to Clive Lewis. Reckon that will prove to be a major impediment to further Green progress.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    RobD said:

Yes, I'm sure Johnson's refusal/reluctance to condemn will be hugely influential in terms of their success.
    Did Starmer mention Labour antisemitism. Or that he is such an idiot that he's down to Corbyn ratings.?...
    Out of curiousity why isnt taking the knee seen as being overtly sexist?
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

201,607 308,128

New variants, you see.

I was speaking to a colleague in North America yesterday - super excited that Europe is opening up to them. I felt quite embarrassed.

But it's OK. @Andy_Cooke has explained that it is only the UK which has had the bad luck to have had the Indian variant.
    And Malmsbury reckons all the other countries are taking a big gamble by opening up before all embryos have been vaccinated.

The gamble is being taken by Johnson's Britain and its a massive and reckless one at that.
    Andy_JS said:

As you probably know there aren't any restrictions at the cricket because of the official government experiment there. I was there yesterday and it was surprisingly easy to get used to being in a crush of people again after 15 months.
    Did you have to test before and after? I'm going to Ascot next week and have 2x test packs. I was just wondering whether, if I test positive, will I not be able to go and hence get my money back? I have paid to go. And did you do the test afterwards? I can see a lot of those being forgotten to be done.

kinabalu said:

1st

Like the Tories until SKS goes

Maybe. He's certainly in a hole. But I don't see the point of trying to agitate him out right now. He has to be given a year or so to see if he can get some traction.
    He's had a year. That went well.

Be fun to see what he can do with another.

Maybe he should be given two elections, like Corbyn.
    Sure. But it's been a year like no other. I think any Labour leader would have struggled. The Cons have a structural majority courtesy of Brexit and on top of that you have public gratitude/familiarity courtesy of the pandemic/vaccines. The big question is will this persist. My sense is things will start to turn soon. It's not the strongest sense I've ever had though. Maybe "hope" would be a better word for it.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

But they don’t have my immaculate timing. I can subconsciously sense moodshifts in the nation, the planet, the species. I am the unwitting conduit of divine foreknowledge

I should charge. But I won’t
    And not just this planet.
    Euro 2020. Betfair:-
    Wales 190
    Scotland 240

What's gone wrong in Scotland? They've more people than Denmark who are general 25/1 shots and many people's idea of best outsider. Maybe the SNP should splash a few quid in the betting shops so their team looks less of a joke. Seriously, Scottish football used to be noted for more than whether or not the team knelt. What's gone wrong? Have they sold all the school playing fields?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Gosh can't you read?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    Andy_JS said:

What's a crush of people doing at a cricket match?

Euro 2020. Betfair:-
    Wales 190
    Scotland 240

What's gone wrong in Scotland? They've more people than Denmark who are general 25/1 shots and many people's idea of best outsider. Maybe the SNP should splash a few quid in the betting shops so their team looks less of a joke. Seriously, Scottish football used to be noted for more than whether or not the team knelt. What's gone wrong? Have they sold all the school playing fields?

You are talking about a nation that has never got out of the first group stage of any major tournament.
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

I like that there are no queues at the bar and they all know your name. Really makes a place.
    I tracked down that pub in the end. I have to say @kinabalu was quite right, and I apologize for doubting him. What he didn’t mention is that they have their own dolphinarium at the back! Amazing

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

201,607 308,128

New variants, you see.

And Malmsbury reckons all the other countries are taking a big gamble by opening up before all embryos have been vaccinated.

The gamble is being taken by Johnson's Britain and its a massive and reckless one at that.
    Yes, they are betting that they will get their vaccination numbers up by the time the Delta variant starts really saying hello.

The question is at what point do the vaccines do the job vs the Delta variant, in terms of keeping hospital cases down and deaths down. Hence watching those figures. The cases are probably going to go up.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sums him up - vacuous nonsense
    edited June 2021

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Is this legal?

Thought so. Thanks.

Cheers for that.
    I meant low hanging fruit in terms of them getting attachment of earnings/benefits and getting the money that way.

Those are the ones I really worry about, it causes all sorts of problems for the people/families impacted.
    Yep. The self employed declaration of income to the Council became a nightmare during lockdown. We'd always done it yearly. As my partner was a full-time student when we started the business we used to get a reduction. And carried on doing it that way even when we knew we wouldn't be eligible for anything.
    When the pandemic hit they started asking for real time income declarations. Aside from not seeming to know the difference between furlough and self employment grants, and repeatedly demanding copies of the "application form" for the self employment grant. (There was no such thing). Then being unable to comprehend we were eligible for the first grant, but not subsequent ones.
    We then got a new, inaccurate, Council Tax bill every fortnight. Followed by 45 minutes on hold and a long explanation on the phone. Repeat.
    I'm trained to give benefit advice, and it was confusing and stressful for me. And we were in the fortunate position of seeing business boom from June onwards so didn't need the money really.
    Christ alone knows what folk with little to no income and no knowledge of the system went through.
    Johnson says our vaccine programme is so successful we can donate 100 million vaccines to the third world.

But its not so successful that ordinary people can go to the theatre or have a week in Benidorm.

FFS how much longer are people going to put up with this self-contradictory bullsh*t.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Let's not exaggerate too much about the superior willingness of our German and American counterparts to jump on a plane as normal this summer either:

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/summer-air-travel-outlook-could-be-less-than-23-of-pre-pandemic-levels

The outlook for international air travel this summer is set to be just under a quarter (23%) of pre-pandemic levels, according to flight data firm ForwardKeys.

Europe looks set for another disappointing summer, with the strongest source markets for travel to Mediterranean destinations are Germany, France and the US, where current outbound bookings stand at 37%, 42% and 24% of 2019 levels respectively.

ForwardKeys insights vice president Olivier Ponti warned: “It is now clear that for most of the world, a summer holiday abroad is a dream; and a staycation is the reality.

OK, Starmer is crap. I yield. That’s just so clumsy it’s cringe. It also smacks of terrible desperation
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    edited June 2021

Johnson says our vaccine programme is so successful we can donate 100 million vaccines to the third world.

But its not so successful that ordinary people can go to the theatre or have a week in Benidorm.

FFS how much longer are people going to put up with this self-contradictory bullsh*t.

You might have had a point if the vaccines were going to be donated today.
    Thinking about it more, taking the knee is not only mysoginist but transphobic and breaches EHRC guidelines, nods why isnt Jolyon on the case between fox beatings
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

NI 4,138 / 7,212

Don't nitpick.

I tracked down that pub in the end. I have to say @kinabalu was quite right, and I apologize for doubting him. What he didn’t mention is that they have their own dolphinarium at the back! Amazing

If Carlsberg...
This discussion has been closed.