Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CON lead slips to 13% with YouGov that has the Greens in third place ahead of the LDs – politicalbet

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

There is SOME evidence that vaccines are working well against the Delta variant but given that most of the Delta cases are new it is too soon to be sure.

Again there is SOME evidence that fewer cases are leading to hospitalisations but again it is too early to be sure. Most of the Delta infections have only been reported in the last week/10 days or so and there is a lag in hospitalisation data.

Also the Government is ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE not to go backwards ie go back to Stage 2 rules or worse.

So this is why the Government will take 4 more weeks.

And another month. And another. And another. And another.

There'll always be another excuse.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I smell.

Too much information.
    It's so hot and muggy today though, isn't it?

How does a man wear a shirt for any length of time when it's like this?
    Could be worse. All day in PPE yesterday 😷😫
    Good for weight loss though :wink:
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Omnium said:

DougSeal said:
    There's not so much wrong with the peasants salute.
    Benny Hill looks like he actually knows how to salute. I guess he was old enough to have served during the war.
    I've always imagined it was fingers together - longest way up, shortest way down.
  • Options

What do people expect from Johnson now?

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

Mainstream media seem unanimous. Johnson must stand pat.

My forecast: no substantive change ie no Freedom Day 21 June with a further review in 4 weeks. Likely though that weddings and similar events will be allowed with no limits on numbers, or maybe an increase to 100.

'Further review...??''

''Further review'' is a recipe for total chaos. Widespread civil disobedience, riots, mass bankruptcies pub/theatre/cinema etc closures.

I don't think you realise how stretched many businesses are. Even the ones that are open.

Maybe getting vaccinated would help
    The government is undermining its own vaccination program with its 'government by scariant' policy

Vaccines are the way out, except when they might not be. Except when they are not completely effective. Or they face a new variant. At which point they become devalued.

Your efforts in getting vaccinated are amazing and wonderful UNTIL THEY AREN'T - because of variants.

And so vaccinations are not really about safety, are they? they are a control tool. And that's why I am not taking one.

It is a good job that 41,088,485 do not share your views, with tens of thousands added daily

They are the responsible citizens prisoners of this country
    Fixed it for you :smile:
    Without vaccinations you really would be a prisoner in this country
    The problem isn't mine or your confidence in the vaccines, the problem is the Government's. It doesn't have any.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,091
    DougSeal said:
    @Mexicanpete - here's your man. :smile:
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220

There is SOME evidence that vaccines are working well against the Delta variant but given that most of the Delta cases are new it is too soon to be sure.

Again there is SOME evidence that fewer cases are leading to hospitalisations but again it is too early to be sure. Most of the Delta infections have only been reported in the last week/10 days or so and there is a lag in hospitalisation data.

Also the Government is ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE not to go backwards ie go back to Stage 2 rules or worse.

We do have evidence the vaccines are working against the Delta variant.

We see the highest and fastest rises in cases among the youngest and least vaccinated. Which is the exact reverse of what COVID does by itself.

We see a similar effect in hospital admissions

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Lets say the vaccines are less protective, then what do you suggest? We go back into lockdown forever until new vaccines go through trials and are manufactured and rolled out?

Enough is enough!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

And so vaccinations are not really about safety, are they? they are a control tool. And that's why I am not taking one.

In what sense a control tool? I don't think you're one of the QAnon people who think it's injecting some literal form of control by Soros and Gates, but I'm genuinely not sure what you mean? I've had both vaccinations - in what way am I now being controlled?
    Would voters have been so compliant and patient with the government in the depths of winter of it were not for vaccines and the promise of freedom?

100% no. The government would have faced some extremely serious order problems if they said restrictions would be the status quo for ever.

Now we find out that, the vaccines notwithstanding, restrictions could STILL be the status quo for ever.

Ergo, the vaccines were, at least partly, a control tool.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited June 2021

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

My forecast: no substantive change ie no Freedom Day 21 June with a further review in 4 weeks. Likely though that weddings and similar events will be allowed with no limits on numbers, or maybe an increase to 100.

'Further review...??''

''Further review'' is a recipe for total chaos. Widespread civil disobedience, riots, mass bankruptcies pub/theatre/cinema etc closures.

I don't think you realise how stretched many businesses are. Even the ones that are open.

The government is undermining its own vaccination program with its 'government by scariant' policy

Vaccines are the way out, except when they might not be. Except when they are not completely effective. Or they face a new variant. At which point they become devalued.

Your efforts in getting vaccinated are amazing and wonderful UNTIL THEY AREN'T - because of variants.

It is a good job that 41,088,485 do not share your views, with tens of thousands added daily

The problem isn't mine or your confidence in the vaccines, the problem is the Government's. It doesn't have any.
    If Whitty and Vallance are calling for a delay, then I expect Boris will delay to some extent but not putting a stop to the removal of some restrictions
  • Options

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Lets say the vaccines are less protective, then what do you suggest? We go back into lockdown forever until new vaccines go through trials and are manufactured and rolled out?

Enough is enough!
    If you're going to war then you may need more than a bold font.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    The Oregonian - Oregon Rep. Mike Nearman expelled from Legislature in historic 59-1 rebuke

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2021/06/oregon-legislators-expel-rep-mike-nearman-who-helped-armed-protesters-enter-capitol.html

The Oregon House voted 59-1 Thursday to expel Rep. Mike Nearman, the first time it has ejected a sitting representative.

Lawmakers removed Nearman because he let far-right demonstrators, some of whom were armed, into the Capitol on Dec. 21 while lawmakers were holding a special session. The Capitol was closed to the public due to the pandemic and remains so. . . .

In late December, Oregon’s coronavirus case outbreak was at a near-high, with more than 1,100 new cases being reported each day and widespread availability of the vaccine still months away.

People who wanted to follow or influence legislative action could watch every committee meeting or floor session online and testify to committees via phone or video without having to drive to Salem.

Surveillance video captured Nearman, a four-term Republican, opening a door and exiting the building, stepping aside so that demonstrators waiting at the entrance could quickly slip into the building. The demonstrators clashed with police who attempted to expel them from the building and allegedly sprayed police with bear mace.

Last week, a video from earlier in December surfaced which showed Nearman instructing viewers how they should wait outside an entrance to the Capitol and text his cell phone. Then, “somebody might exit that door while you’re standing there,” Nearman said, a plan he dubbed “Operation Hall Pass.”

In an interview Monday with a conservative radio host, Nearman said the group he instructed on how to text him when they arrived outside a door at the Capitol were “mostly blue-haired old ladies.”

That did not accurately describe the group that showed up at the Capitol and entered the door Nearman opened. Rather, the demonstrators included the right-wing, Vancouver-based group Patriot Prayer known for street brawls, people wearing clothing with Three Percenters militia logos and a Confederate flag hat and people armed with rifles and wearing military gear.

Nearman already faces criminal misconduct charges for the incident and in a committee hearing on the expulsion proposal earlier Thursday, he declined to answer questions on the advice of his attorney. However, he said it was against the state Constitution to close the building to the public and it was “a place they had a right to be, a place the legislative assembly had no right to exclude them from.”

Democrats gave Nearman unlimited time to speak during the House floor debate on the resolution to remove him. But Nearman, the lone “no” vote against his removal, kept his comments brief and reiterated that “the citizens of Oregon should be able to instruct their legislators” and industry and interest groups should have in-person access to lobby lawmakers. . . .
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

DougSeal said:
    Benny Hill looks like he actually knows how to salute. I guess he was old enough to have served during the war.
    I've always imagined it was fingers together - longest way up, shortest way down.
    I think salutes varied slightly between the services, though I'm not really sure where I might have heard that. Perhaps if any of PB's old contemptibles are around...
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

It manifestly does NOT have any confidence in the vaccines, or the double vaccinated weeks ago would be on planes to Benidorm now.

As Theresa May pointed out, there is less freedom now than there was before ANY vaccination. (May cited her trip to Switzerland last August).

Far from leading to freedom, vaccines have been used to cement in bondage.

And SO Big G's point does not hold. Demonstrably. We are far more prisoners post vaccination than we were pre-vaccination.

and so vaccination is a tool. A control tool.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The issue is, that there are enough unvaccinated/completely vaccinated people who can get really sick with this, still.

The question is whether the current level of vaccination can take the "load" of reducing infection, from the lock down measure, and if not, what further level of vaccination is required
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

If Whitty and Vallance are calling for a delay, then I expect Boris will delay to some extent but not putting a stop to the removal of some restrictions
    To be continued in five week cycles forever, most likely.

There will always be another excuse for delay.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,234

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

DougSeal said:
    I think salutes varied slightly between the services, though I'm not really sure where I might have heard that. Perhaps if any of PB's old contemptibles are around...
    Ahem, indeed longest way up shortest way down for the army. Not sure of the other two arms I think it was just a gruff "alright mate" and a fist bump.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Am getting the feeling, that Boris Johnson & Co made a serious tactical error, in trumpting Freedom Day when there was ALWAYS a better-than-even chance that something MIGHT come up & throw a monkey wrench (or spanner if you prefer) into the works?

Speaking of monkeys, was Freedom Day trumpeted in order to clinch the historic Tory by-election victory in Hartlepool? If so, in retrospect seems like waste of political (and moral) capital, seeing has how, based on the numbers, the Conservative was gonna take the seat anyway. Icing that cake was NOT a good enough reason to throw caution, if not to the winds, but at least to the sidelines.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The issue is, that there are enough unvaccinated/completely vaccinated people who can get really sick with this, still.

The question is whether the current level of vaccination can take the "load" of reducing infection, from the lock down measure, and if not, what further level of vaccination is required
    No level of vaccination will ever be sufficient. We know this because (a) the Government is totally disinterested in the failure of Bolton hospital to turn into a charnel house, (b) the Government is also totally disinterested in the extremely high efficacy figures demonstrated already by vaccines in the field, and (c) we're starting to get all the mithering about vaccines not being 100% effective again.

Nothing will ever be good enough for them. So this will go on forever.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

It manifestly does NOT have any confidence in the vaccines, or the double vaccinated weeks ago would be on planes to Benidorm now.

As Theresa May pointed out, there is less freedom now than there was before ANY vaccination. (May cited her trip to Switzerland last August).

And SO Big G's point does not hold. Demonstrably. We are far more prisoners post vaccination than we were pre-vaccination.

41,088, 485 do not agree
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Again, that is NOT what the government were telling us in the depths of winter when we were worse off than the citizens of a soviet state in some ways.

They told us vaccination of all the 'vulnerable' over 70s would be enough. 'A great summer' said Hancock. The potential flaws of the vaccine were unheard of.

And so the vaccine has been used partly as a control tool. So that we would accept the restrictions. For whatever reason.

Now, as so many have been vaccinated, the vaccines are outliving their usefulness to control us. And so they must be undermined until something new can be found.

And sure enough here it is. The scariant. The ultimate control tool for ever. If we tolerate it, we will have the vaccine /scariant two step for ever. Clearly.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The double vaccinated point is, as you well know, not a point. The old can travel, but they can all get the disease and therefore there's not the slightest degree to which they should do so. An elderly person vaccinated just become like a teenager unvaccinated. Both shouldn't travel.

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Brenda getting out of Dodge:

Biden will attend a reception tonight with Queen Elizabeth, as well as Charles, Camilla, William and Kate, at a botanical garden in Cornwall.

The queen will leave before the G7 leaders sit for dinner at the Eden Project, which has some dramatic indoor and outdoor gardens.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1403364747471372291?s=20

No doubt it'll be a tour of Camel Valley vineyard tomorrow followed by dinner at Rick Stein's then a leisurely walk around the Lost Gardens of Heligan on Sunday.
    Silliness aside, a dinner at the Eden Project is a rather clever choice - dramatic setting, weather proof and yet feels like the open air.
    Eden project was another eu funded white elephant that made a lot of people very rich without doing much to help the area it was sited in
    Is that true? I don't think the guy who set it up has got rich off the back of it. And it employs a lot of people. I think it's a pretty incredible place, TBH, although it's always way too busy. I prefer the Lost Gardens though, that's a really magical place.
    The contrast of the two is interesting: one innovative and futuristic, the other nostalgic and traditional. We seem as a country to be more comfortable with the latter, which is a pity I think, although I guess I am as much at fault as anyone else.
    It cost 80 million, it wasnt designed by anyone from cornwall, most materials sourced outside cornwall, most constructors came from outside cornwall. It does provide in season about 350 min wage jobs and for some of the off season less. Now while I agree its an amazing place but don't forget of the 80 mill it cost 40 mill was the eu returning british tax payer money and 40 mill was matched from the funds set aside to develop cornwall.

As far as I can see all cornwall got for 80 million was 350 odd min wage jobs and 2 hour traffic jams in the summer on roads that generally didn't have them before. Call me a cynic but I am not sure cornwall got that much benefit from it as mostly its people who would have been already visiting cornwall going to visit.

Now if they had spent money extending the m5 downwards maybe more benefit
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

So given the government decided on the road map what can we conclude?

Without the Indian variant cases would have risen after May 17.

So did the govt think it would get more vaccines or what? Because something doesn't add up.

Unless we stick to the road map.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518
    edited June 2021

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I smell.

Too much information.

I'll keep on bashing away on this topic - from doing welding, the difference between wearing a proper face mask with a air blown in through a filter vs an assortment of PPE.... well, the air-conditioning effect from the blow air, is very very nice.

For the future I want to see a good hard look (proper trials and research) at moving to reusable equipment like that rather than the array of masks and face shields that you see being used.
    We have a mix of ffp3 masks and people in Respirators for aerosol generating procedures, largely because of facial anatomy. Ironically with most of it coming from the Far East it doesn't fit our Filipino nurses facial anatomy very well.

We have to have the unvalved masks for sterility purposes, as the valved ones protect only the user, though they are more comfy. Being able to communicate with such muffling is quite difficult.

Doing anything in such kit takes twice as long, and is a major drag on productivity.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Am getting the feeling, that Boris Johnson & Co made a serious tactical error, in trumpting Freedom Day when there was ALWAYS a better-than-even chance that something MIGHT come up & throw a monkey wrench (or spanner if you prefer) into the works?

Speaking of monkeys, was Freedom Day trumpeted in order to clinch the historic Tory by-election victory in Hartlepool? If so, in retrospect seems like waste of political (and moral) capital, seeing has how, based on the numbers, the Conservative was gonna take the seat anyway. Icing that cake was NOT a good enough reason to throw caution, if not to the winds, but at least to the sidelines.
    The problem isn't the need for delay, the problem is that there is no need for delay, and the Government therefore cannot articulate a convincing reason for delay, yet looks like it will delay regardless, most likely because it is frightened.

Weak. Weak. Weak.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,900
    edited June 2021

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

I dont think from the way they are behaving the govt has confidence in their own vaccine. Look at the surge in cases in virtually fully vaccinated chile with hospitals getting overwhelmed again. If they know something about the vaccine we dont they may be reluctant to unlock properly
    They trumpet the vax program as wonderful and amazing.

But it is not amazing or wonderful enough for you to be able to go to Benidorm for a week, as Theresa May pointed out today.

And so its wonderful until it comes to giving you your freedom back in return. At which point 'variants' are used to discredit vaccines.

They value and devalue the currency as they wish. Its about control.
    Yes its either control or they genuinely think the vaccine doesnt work. Of course if they said that there would be mass panic.

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The truth is Pfizer is better than Astra, but Astra followed by Pfizer is best of all. But that's not authorised yet so noone is on it even though everyone should be.
    Astra recipients* might get a booster come autumn or winter.

* Might be sold as over 50s get a different type booster. That works without spreading panic over Astra.

I think in the meantime is the number of middle aged bods only single Astra jabbed, that needs sorting.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

No level of vaccination will ever be sufficient. We know this because (a) the Government is totally disinterested in the failure of Bolton hospital to turn into a charnel house, (b) the Government is also totally disinterested in the extremely high efficacy figures demonstrated already by vaccines in the field, and (c) we're starting to get all the mithering about vaccines not being 100% effective again.

Nothing will ever be good enough for them. So this will go on forever.
    Of course it won't. Because vaccination is not about safety. It might have been at one time, but it isn't now.

We could be 100% vaccinated all adults and it still would not be over. Not by a long chalk. Because variant.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The double vaccinated point is, as you well know, not a point. The old can travel, but they can all get the disease and therefore there's not the slightest degree to which they should do so. An elderly person vaccinated just become like a teenager unvaccinated. Both shouldn't travel.

Well I am sure that would be astonishing news to the double vaccinated!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,900
    Will the nightclubs open or England get a wicket first ?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    edited June 2021

Matt Hancock told Parliament on Monday that of 126 Delta variant hospitalisations, only 3 had been fully vaccinated.

Those numbers seem to have been very carefully selected. Today data have been released, which show that the fully vaccinated account for either 20 out of 220 or 42 out of 379 hospitalisations (depending on definition) and 12 out of 42 deaths. Very much against the impression being given, the fully vaccinated account for a higher proportion of deaths than of hospitalisations, and a higher proportion of hospitalisations than of cases:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/993198/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing.pdf
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The government had to trumpet freedom day to keep people in line. To keep people obeying. Which they did to an astonishing degree.

• Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 236
    Pulpstar said:

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

I dont think from the way they are behaving the govt has confidence in their own vaccine. Look at the surge in cases in virtually fully vaccinated chile with hospitals getting overwhelmed again. If they know something about the vaccine we dont they may be reluctant to unlock properly

But it is not amazing or wonderful enough for you to be able to go to Benidorm for a week, as Theresa May pointed out today.

And so its wonderful until it comes to giving you your freedom back in return. At which point 'variants' are used to discredit vaccines.

Yes its either control or they genuinely think the vaccine doesnt work. Of course if they said that there would be mass panic.

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The truth is Pfizer is better than Astra, but Astra followed by Pfizer is best of all. But that's not authorised yet so noone is on it even though everyone should be.

* Might be sold as over 50s get a different type booster. That works without spreading panic over Astra.

I think in the meantime is the number of middle aged bods only single Astra jabbed, that needs sorting.
    Do you have a source for that please? Have an interest, as a under 40 single dose AZ'r I could maybe swing a Pfizer as my 2nd dose.
  • Options
    Re: the G7 meeting, find it interesting that Boris Johnson's mop top has gotten noticeably tamer BUT that Justin Trudeau's hair has gotten wilder, even without the Unibomber beard.

Yesterday's photos of BoJo & Uncle Joe looked for all the world like a youngish bounder sobering himself up, buying a new suit, shining his shoes and getting a proper haircut, in order to meet & greet his eccentric, rich uncle from America, who's previously express some doubts as to said bounder's character & deportment.

Vibe a bit similar (in photo) between Carrie & Aunt Jill with the baby on the beach. BTW kudos to the ladies for kicking off their high heels (admittedly NOT great beachwear) and getting their toes wet. Carrie (like her hubby) appeared eager to make a good impression, while Jill looked ready to lend a supportive ear and proffer a bit of sage counsel re: child rearing & politico-marital management.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,360

The core of Johnsonism is the power of sunny optimism to create the outcome you were being optimistic about. Works in some fields, but the trouble with viruses is that they don't succumb to persuasion. Same as Eurocrats.

Talking of which, this is from The Sun's political editor...

NEW: Final decision Monday, but Sun can reveal chances of freedom day on June 21 now next to zero.. plan to announce delay to July 19 - with break clause on July 5 if hospitalisations remain low. But it's not looking good.. https://t.co/ntO6hna8SK

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1403397062205624320?s=19

Events, dear boy. With a nastier variant and not quite enough antibodies in bodies yet, any further relaxation would have too much of a risk of going wrong.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,058
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Biden will attend a reception tonight with Queen Elizabeth, as well as Charles, Camilla, William and Kate, at a botanical garden in Cornwall.

The queen will leave before the G7 leaders sit for dinner at the Eden Project, which has some dramatic indoor and outdoor gardens.

No doubt it'll be a tour of Camel Valley vineyard tomorrow followed by dinner at Rick Stein's then a leisurely walk around the Lost Gardens of Heligan on Sunday.
    Silliness aside, a dinner at the Eden Project is a rather clever choice - dramatic setting, weather proof and yet feels like the open air.
    Eden project was another eu funded white elephant that made a lot of people very rich without doing much to help the area it was sited in
    Is that true? I don't think the guy who set it up has got rich off the back of it. And it employs a lot of people. I think it's a pretty incredible place, TBH, although it's always way too busy. I prefer the Lost Gardens though, that's a really magical place.
    The contrast of the two is interesting: one innovative and futuristic, the other nostalgic and traditional. We seem as a country to be more comfortable with the latter, which is a pity I think, although I guess I am as much at fault as anyone else.
    It cost 80 million, it wasnt designed by anyone from cornwall, most materials sourced outside cornwall, most constructors came from outside cornwall. It does provide in season about 350 min wage jobs and for some of the off season less. Now while I agree its an amazing place but don't forget of the 80 mill it cost 40 mill was the eu returning british tax payer money and 40 mill was matched from the funds set aside to develop cornwall.

As far as I can see all cornwall got for 80 million was 350 odd min wage jobs and 2 hour traffic jams in the summer on roads that generally didn't have them before. Call me a cynic but I am not sure cornwall got that much benefit from it as mostly its people who would have been already visiting cornwall going to visit.

Hmm maybe. The A30 and A38 are pretty adequate as long as they're dual carriageway, as I recall (Cornwall is our usual summer holiday destination). I doubt they would ever extend the M5 too far into Cornwall. When we visit the Eden Project it's probably the only time we spend significant amounts of money while we're in Cornwall (apart from the Sainsbury's at Torpoint) because most of the best things to do in Cornwall are free, so I imagine it is a good way of getting money to stay in the County.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

I dropped by the Eden Project some years ago. Interesting, but rather artificial, and way too many people. Wisley or Kew are better.

Nonetheless it was clearly popular, and while I suspect that for few it was the sole reason to visit Cornwall, for many it did add to the holiday.

A tourist based economy has its downsides, being low paid and seasonable in the main, and the summer traffic awful. Better than many of the alternatives, despite all the "Bait" like frictions.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    guybrush said:

Pulpstar said:

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Do you have a source for that please? Have an interest, as a under 40 single dose AZ'r I could maybe swing a Pfizer as my 2nd dose.
    It was linked to last night, iirc. I think it was a German study.

I’m in the same situation as you. Going to try and get myself a Pfizer 2nd. Somehow…
  • Options

Omnium said:

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Well I am sure that would be astonishing news to the double vaccinated!!
    How so?
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

The government had to trumpet freedom day to keep people in line. To keep people obeying. Which they did to an astonishing degree.

Doesn't the astonishing degree perhaps suggest, that people have been, if not eager, then willing to accept restrictions because they make sense, both for themselves AND for other people? Also plenty of self-control going on, beyond & above what government suggests or mandates.

Which is not to say that administrators, politicos & governments don't get a taste for power and control, and that this must be limited, monitored and pushed back.

However, it is NOT all about control freakery. Elsewise, you simply would NOT have as many truly freedom-loving, individualistic folks in your country, mine & around the world doing their best to get with the program. NOT because they like it, but because they consider it the right thing to do, at this time.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Morning. Do we have "in hospital" Covid numbers for today yet?

Yes, a small increase. We also have the new data point of just 63 hospitalisations from 32k delta cases in fully vaccinated people. I calculate that as an efficacy rate of at least 96%, probably closer to 98-99% when case age profile is taken into account.
    I don't think its tenable to argue that numbers don't matter among the unvaccinated. We do need to minimise the impact of any exit wave.
    But I think people seem to be conveniently forgetting that we're not going to stop vaccinating people after June 21st. It's not as though the government is going to say, that's it guys, you've had your chance and now we're all free there's no point in continuing the vaccine programme. That's what these media loving scientists seem to be implying every time they say that young people are at mega risks, they aren't and that risk will go down very sharply.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

I dropped by the Eden Project some years ago. Interesting, but rather artificial, and way too many people. Wisley or Kew are better.

Nonetheless it was clearly popular, and while I suspect that for few it was the sole reason to visit Cornwall, for many it did add to the holiday.

A tourist based economy has its downsides, being low paid and seasonable in the main, and the summer traffic awful. Better than many of the alternatives, despite all the "Bait" like frictions.
    I dont dispute its popular or even necessarily a good thing. My point is as a way of helping the locals it didn't do an awful lot apart from make road congestion even worse and hand out a few min wage jobs. What cornwall needs is proper jobs and industry and better infrastructure to support it
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chris said:

Matt Hancock told Parliament on Monday that of 126 Delta variant hospitalisations, only 3 had been fully vaccinated.

Those numbers seem to have been very carefully selected. Today data have been released, which show that the fully vaccinated account for either 20 out of 220 or 42 out of 379 hospitalisations (depending on definition) and 12 out of 42 deaths. Very much against the impression being given, the fully vaccinated account for a higher proportion of deaths than of hospitalisations, and a higher proportion of hospitalisations than of cases:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/993198/Variants_of_Concern_VOC_Technical_Briefing.pdf
    I don't think that a correct interpretation. The admissions and deaths would have to be age standardised for that to be true.

We know age correlates with vaccine status and also risk of death or hospitalisation.
  • Options

Rubbish. There's a lot of evidence that vaccines work against Delta. 32k delta infections among the vaccinated and 63(!) hospitalisations and 7 deaths on the 28 day measure without any context of the cases (age, general mortality profile).

The case that vaccines work against delta is overwhelming, not "some" as you characterise. It feels like you've become institutionalised by the lockdown ultras mate. You're arguing against being free and being given the choice to be safer or use your own judgement on what level of risk is acceptable for your personal situation.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

DougSeal said:
    Can report that all the Old Contemptibles have faded away. They are been replaced by Hilary's army of Old Deplorables.

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

I dont dispute its popular or even necessarily a good thing. My point is as a way of helping the locals it didn't do an awful lot apart from make road congestion even worse and hand out a few min wage jobs. What cornwall needs is proper jobs and industry and better infrastructure to support it
    Probably ultrafast broadband would be the key, then all the grockles could work from their summer homes.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Probably ultrafast broadband would be the key, then all the grockles could work from their summer homes.

Grockles go to devon its emmets in cornwall
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Grockles go to devon its emmets in cornwall
    Sorry. I am not a native Cornish speaker.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

I don't think that a correct interpretation. The admissions and deaths would have to be age standardised for that to be true.

We know age correlates with vaccine status and also risk of death or hospitalisation.
    Yes corrected for expected hospitalisation rates for vaccinated cohorts the vaccine looks extremely effective. From the PHE released numbers I'd guess at 98-99.5% against hospitalisation once age and mortality profiles are taken into account.

We seem to have a scientific, media and political class that wants to downplay the effectiveness of vaccines for reasons that seem completely random.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Speaking as a fortysomething myself, this isn't a concern upon which I dwell.

The threat of death or incapacity from this thing to people in their forties was very low when the disease first emerged, and the large bulk of us who have been single-jabbed will already have seen that risk diminished by, at a conservative guess, two-thirds, even against the Delta variant (the estimate given for Alpha was something like 80% IIRC.) Efficacy based on recent data may be a great deal higher than that, but others will be able to comment more knowledgeably.

Prevaricating to save a tiny number of us from the chop is just the same as prevaricating to save twenty year olds from the risk of Long Covid. We're in jeopardy of being taken in by the one death is one too many argument now, and failing to accept that there comes a point where people just have to take their chances.

Most of us seem to have completely forgotten that lockdown, even lockdown lite, comes at a significant cost. It's written off as a trifling inconvenience. Well it isn't.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    MaxPB said:

Rubbish. There's a lot of evidence that vaccines work against Delta. 32k delta infections among the vaccinated and 63(!) hospitalisations and 7 deaths on the 28 day measure without any context of the cases (age, general mortality profile).

The case that vaccines work against delta is overwhelming, not "some" as you characterise. It feels like you've become institutionalised by the lockdown ultras mate. You're arguing against being free and being given the choice to be safer or use your own judgement on what level of risk is acceptable for your personal situation.
    You are forgetting (as everyone seems to) that there is a 7 to 14 day lag time between rising infections and those infections requiring hospital treatment.

I would be far more confident in your statement if the hospital figures are the same then as they are now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Yes corrected for expected hospitalisation rates for vaccinated cohorts the vaccine looks extremely effective. From the PHE released numbers I'd guess at 98-99.5% against hospitalisation once age and mortality profiles are taken into account.

We seem to have a scientific, media and political class that wants to downplay the effectiveness of vaccines for reasons that seem completely random.
    Reasons are popularity in the polls.

People like this shit.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I smell.

Too much information.

I'll keep on bashing away on this topic - from doing welding, the difference between wearing a proper face mask with a air blown in through a filter vs an assortment of PPE.... well, the air-conditioning effect from the blow air, is very very nice.

For the future I want to see a good hard look (proper trials and research) at moving to reusable equipment like that rather than the array of masks and face shields that you see being used.
    We have a mix of ffp3 masks and people in Respirators for aerosol generating procedures, largely because of facial anatomy. Ironically with most of it coming from the Far East it doesn't fit our Filipino nurses facial anatomy very well.

We have to have the unvalved masks for sterility purposes, as the valved ones protect only the user, though they are more comfy. Being able to communicate with such muffling is quite difficult.

Doing anything in such kit takes twice as long, and is a major drag on productivity.
    You see people wearing the valved ones in public. I always assume that there very stupid or utterly selfish. There’s frequently worn by the sort of person who fondles every bloody vegetable in a shop.

It’s been a great time for easy identification of utter morons.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Again, that is NOT what the government were telling us in the depths of winter when we were worse off than the citizens of a soviet state in some ways.

They told us vaccination of all the 'vulnerable' over 70s would be enough. 'A great summer' said Hancock. The potential flaws of the vaccine were unheard of.

And so the vaccine has been used partly as a control tool. So that we would accept the restrictions. For whatever reason.

Now, as so many have been vaccinated, the vaccines are outliving their usefulness to control us. And so they must be undermined until something new can be found.

And sure enough here it is. The scariant. The ultimate control tool for ever. If we tolerate it, we will have the vaccine /scariant two step for ever. Clearly.
    Rather as some lockdown sceptics have been speculating for >12 months based on observing events, including about 20 broken promises, starting with 'three weeks to flatten the curve'. People have incredibly short memories.

Choose your explanation ... charitable or sinister.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Economic development (or 'eco-devo" as it's often called by jargonistas in the US) is a though nut to crack in post-industrial landscapes from Cornwall to West Virginia to East Germany & back. Personally think that more could & should be done, in the way of environmental clean-up & protecting, with large numbers of local trained & employed (directly or subcontractors) at professional or at least living wages. Also major infrastructure improvements.

Short of that, perhaps you could turn all of Corwall into a theme park modeled on The Prisoner? Visitors coming for indefinite stays, released after suitable intervals of attitude adjustment and surrealism at the discretion of Number Two?

Beats hotel quarantine, or a fun-filled week in the South Sandwich Islands, sans hotel OR sandwich!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Scottish Government statement on its Health Secretary's inaccurate statement about child hospitalisations "because of Covid" manages to crowbar in a mention of the UK Government.

Gotta admire SNP ministers' commitment to this shtick

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1403407347922444296?s=20
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The threat of death or incapacity from this thing to people in their forties was very low when the disease first emerged, and the large bulk of us who have been single-jabbed will already have seen that risk diminished by, at a conservative guess, two-thirds, even against the Delta variant (the estimate given for Alpha was something like 80% IIRC.) Efficacy based on recent data may be a great deal higher than that, but others will be able to comment more knowledgeably.

Prevaricating to save a tiny number of us from the chop is just the same as prevaricating to save twenty year olds from the risk of Long Covid. We're in jeopardy of being taken in by the one death is one too many argument now, and failing to accept that there comes a point where people just have to take their chances.

Most of us seem to have completely forgotten that lockdown, even lockdown lite, comes at a significant cost. It's written off as a trifling inconvenience. Well it isn't.
    Two doses of AZ against death vs delta looks very good. I'd be shocked if there was anything like a ⅔ diluting effect. For symptomatic infection it goes from about 90% to about 80% from the preliminary figures and Pfizer from 95% to about 90%.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

fpt about SKS being doomed because he is a remainer.

Not to say he isn't and I've no idea after the bollocks that the EU indulged in over the vaccines/Ireland, etc what the overall public view is, but do we expect every politician to fall in behind the policies of the winner of the election they've just lost?

Should Lab win in 2024 (don't laugh) will the Cons adopt all the Lab policies because the public has spoken?

Not just because he was a Remainer, but because he actively tried to overturn the referendum result when he was Labour’s Brexit Sec. Politicians who campaigned for Remain but accepted the result and voted to enable Brexit rather than refusing to have it are a different kettle of fish
    If he campaigned to do that presumably that was because he believed there was a constituency which was receptive to that. Not a large enough one, it turned out, but as a political strategy it is perfectly rational, if unsuccessful to date.
    Yeah he can do what he likes, but I think him doing so is a big reason he’s polling the same as Corbyn personally, and his party worse than Jez’s worst election/losing safe Labour seats in by elections
    If it's his Remainerdom that's the problem how come his polling used to be quite good?
    Well almost half the country did vote Remain so he was entitled to get an easy ride at the start in polls. But in the Red Wall Leave seats he is doomed. And at 65% of constituencies voted Leave, he is double doomed

Then, add in the fact he is dull as ditchwater, and it’s triple doomage!
    It's the Remain point that doesn't make sense. He was polling well generally as recently as 6 months ago. Have Leavers suddenly noticed that he used to be an arch Remainer? I know they're not the most astute of units but, no, this seems unlikely.
    It does make sense, because he was doomed even when he was polling better than he is now, due to 65% of constituencies voting leave, and him being the arch Remainer responsible for the ‘people’s vote’ and the loss of the Red Wall.

In a nutshell, I doubt it was Leave voters responsible for his previously good polling
    He was polling quite well generally. Across all the main divides and metrics.
    Was he? I didn’t know that. I will obviously check and confirm/dispute
    In his first Opinium poll he scored

51-4 with Remainers
    22-13 with Leavers

Latest Opinium

36-35 with Remainers
    17-53 with Leavers

Losing popularity pretty evenly really
    Yep. Therefore the problem is not that he's a Remainer. There's no change there. He was. He is.

The slump is due to other stuff. Pandemic. Vaccines. Being dull compared to the MMM. Not opposing enough. Whatever.

This is my point.
    Oh yes, I agree - the SLUMP is due to other stuff. My point was that he was doomed with Leavers from the off
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

I think that's a bit astringent.

A million visitors a year generates a lot of economic activity for all the other sectors.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Scottish Government statement on its Health Secretary's inaccurate statement about child hospitalisations "because of Covid" manages to crowbar in a mention of the UK Government.

If Boris is dithering about unlocking on June 21, I think ScotGov have unlocking pencilled in very lightly for about 4 weeks before the next Holyrood election.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Cornwall is one of the poorest regions in Britain but its reinvention as a middle-class holiday resort is miraculous.

Brand “Cornwall” is highly valuable. It also seems to have attracted quite a few digital entrepreneur types; I think the broadband is good.

I guess the issue is in the former mining towns in-land. Not sure what to do about those.

Space-tech is interesting, and the Camborne School of Mines is still a thing.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The manager of my humble apartment building, a woman in hearty good health in her 40s, came down with COVID last fall, and was sick as a dog for a couple weeks. Wasn't hospitalized but close to it. She's now somewhat concerned re: long term affects, though she's fine now.

When she got vaccinated this spring (Pfizer) she had a more-serious-than-usual side-reaction, for a couple days, similar I think to what Isam reported. But she was glad to get it, as her job requires her to be meeting tenants & contractors constantly.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    As the case rates in the rest of Europe drift own while ours cross in the opposite direction, perhaps we can raise a glass to the PM and his determination not to piss off Modi at a time when we were not allowed to see our own families. Thanks Mr Johnson!
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Economic development (or 'eco-devo" as it's often called by jargonistas in the US) is a though nut to crack in post-industrial landscapes from Cornwall to West Virginia to East Germany & back. Personally think that more could & should be done, in the way of environmental clean-up & protecting, with large numbers of local trained & employed (directly or subcontractors) at professional or at least living wages. Also major infrastructure improvements.

Short of that, perhaps you could turn all of Corwall into a theme park modeled on The Prisoner? Visitors coming for indefinite stays, released after suitable intervals of attitude adjustment and surrealism at the discretion of Number Two?

Beats hotel quarantine, or a fun-filled week in the South Sandwich Islands, sans hotel OR sandwich!
    Tsk tsk, you wouldn't build your Prisoner theme park in Cornwall. You'd build it in Wales, where it was actually shot in the first place!

Although at times in the last year-and-a-bit, it has felt rather as if the whole country is one giant Village.
  • Options

If Boris is dithering about unlocking on June 21, I think ScotGov have unlocking pencilled in very lightly for about 4 weeks before the next Holyrood election.
    Yes, one of my Scottish uni mates is extremely jealous of our predicament. He informed me that Scotland's level 0 unintuitively includes a whole bunch of measures that look like England's current unlockdown stage but with slightly bigger group sizes.
  • Options

Cornwall is one of the poorest regions in Britain but its reinvention as a middle-class holiday resort is miraculous.

Brand “Cornwall” is highly valuable. It also seems to have attracted quite a few digital entrepreneur types; I think the broadband is good.

I guess the issue is in the former mining towns in-land. Not sure what to do about those.

Lithium could turn into a huge industry for Cornwall as well which could lead to a UK manufacturing revolution for the whole country.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

Pulpstar said:

The manager of my humble apartment building, a woman in hearty good health in her 40s, came down with COVID last fall, and was sick as a dog for a couple weeks. Wasn't hospitalized but close to it. She's now somewhat concerned re: long term affects, though she's fine now.

When she got vaccinated this spring (Pfizer) she had a more-serious-than-usual side-reaction, for a couple days, similar I think to what Isam reported. But she was glad to get it, as her job requires her to be meeting tenants & contractors constantly.
    My mother in law in CT had a very nasty reaction to Pfizer and got J&J as a second dose.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

As the case rates in the rest of Europe drift own while ours cross in the opposite direction, perhaps we can raise a glass to the PM and his determination not to piss off Modi at a time when we were not allowed to see our own families. Thanks Mr Johnson!

We're doing our bit for the rest of the developed world with this massive epidemiological experiment. They're all going to get struck down by Delta eventually. Our Government will shit itself and flap its pathetic wings as it keeps us locked down til Christ knows when. Everyone else will look on, analyse our hospital data, deduce that it produces an alarming case spike but makes bugger all difference to the hospitals, and be able simply to ignore it.

At the end of all this we'll still be walking around in these evil bloody masks a year after the rest of Europe has dumped all the restrictions sadistic fetish punishments. I'm sure that everyone else will be very grateful.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lithium could turn into a huge industry for Cornwall as well which could lead to a UK manufacturing revolution for the whole country.
    I’m not an at all an expert, but I believe they keep promising to open a mine down there? Perhaps the renewed Anglo-American focus on strategic in-sourcing will finally provide enough of a business case.
  • Options

Stand pat

Hybrid

Freedom

???

'Further review...??''

Wrong.

Otherwise the plan would have been to unlock when the vulnerable groups (far more than over 70s) were vaccinated.

The plan was (and is) to unlock in phases as the vaccination levels were able to take the load from the various restrictions.

Much as in building work, you ease the temporary supports until the building is holding itself up.

Hence the pubs being open. But I forgot, they are closed and you can't get a drink.
  • Options

That's why I mentioned environmental cleanup, because there must be a LOT of scope for this in Cornwall?

And what about Mine-world? Or Mole-world? And what about spelunking?

Also, Cornwall has a VERY rich history, large parts of which are not made up! Salute to Sir Cloudesley Shovell could be a must-see destination. Bet the kids would have just as much fun at Wreckers of Old Cornwall as at Pirates of the Caribbean!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

A million visitors a year generates a lot of economic activity for all the other sectors.
    Only if its an extra million visitors to cornwall....it wasn't. Mostly they were coming anyway so in fact money they would have spent are now funneled instead to the Eden project so leaving other businesses with less. It has also brought increased traffic congestion to the area, lowered house prices in the area due to the traffic. Increased delivery time to businesses in the area and increased pollution in the area
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I smell.

Too much information.

You see people wearing the valved ones in public. I always assume that there very stupid or utterly selfish. There’s frequently worn by the sort of person who fondles every bloody vegetable in a shop.

It’s been a great time for easy identification of utter morons.
    Or someone, like me, who had a stack of them for hobbies.
  • Options

That's why I mentioned environmental cleanup, because there must be a LOT of scope for this in Cornwall?

And what about Mine-world? Or Mole-world? And what about spelunking?

Also, Cornwall has a VERY rich history, large parts of which are not made up! Salute to Sir Cloudesley Shovell could be a must-see destination. Bet the kids would have just as much fun at Wreckers of Old Cornwall as at Pirates of the Caribbean!
    Is there a National Pirate Museum in Penzance?
    There bloody well should be.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited June 2021
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

It’s simplistic. You have Eden, Heligan and Caerhays close to each other. They generate value tourism (ie not the sort of people who bring their own caravans and cheese). Confession - I’ve done some work on Eden’s financings. They are not quite hand to mouth but not a million miles away.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

You are forgetting (as everyone seems to) that there is a 7 to 14 day lag time between rising infections and those infections requiring hospital treatment.

I would be far more confident in your statement if the hospital figures are the same then as they are now.
    Cases and admissions have been rising for some time. The patterns are quite clear.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Interesting visit to the showhomes on a new local housing development. Fairly small - 120 houses on a couple of sloping fields preserving ancient hedges etc, with an acre of open space on the 10 acre site including a 2000sqm balancing pond, adjacent to a country park, and good connectivity. Long views over Derbyshire but over an industrial estate further down the hill.

They have apparently sold 30 since the spring, and is very popular - apparently releasing the last 4 a few days ago they had several thousand calls in the first hour.

Prices around £220/sqft - £238k for a compact but very efficiently laid out small 4 bed detached with 2 double / 2 single, one with ensuite, double garage. Interesting trend compared to previous decades to oblong rooms rather than square in kitchen, living and master bedroom, which allows two activity zones. Decent spec but not high end. Well laid-out estate - I specified the illustrative layout and took it through planning. Some obvious tight cost control - lightweight doors etc, but some pleasant modern version of estate fencing.

The company is a regional developer Gleeson who specialise in 'affordable homes for ordinary people'. I'm sure that somebody can find issues with them somewhere :smile: .
  • Options

Abd despite it having that brand it still is one of the poorest regions in Britain....odd that. So they give us another bloody tourist attraction to level us up because the others worked out so well
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

DougSeal said:

We're doing our bit for the rest of the developed world with this massive epidemiological experiment. They're all going to get struck down by Delta eventually. Our Government will shit itself and flap its pathetic wings as it keeps us locked down til Christ knows when. Everyone else will look on, analyse our hospital data, deduce that it produces an alarming case spike but makes bugger all difference to the hospitals, and be able simply to ignore it.

At the end of all this we'll still be walking around in these evil bloody masks a year after the rest of Europe has dumped all the restrictions sadistic fetish punishments. I'm sure that everyone else will be very grateful.
    I suspect some low vaxx countries will be badly hit in the autumn.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    5th July looks like the new 21st June: govt heading for a two-week delay to step 4 of the English lockdown roadmap.

Senior ministers will meet on Sunday afternoon/evening after G7 summit to make decision based on very latest data.

Story @janemerrick23
    :
    https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1403410540936978437?s=20
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Abd despite it having that brand it still is one of the poorest regions in Britain....odd that. So they give us another bloody tourist attraction to level us up because the others worked out so well
    You seem to be a professional misanthrope.
    Some regions would kill for some of Cornwall’s tourist money.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I smell.

Too much information.

The masks I used for welding come with a variety of fits, exactly for that reason. Telling someone spending several hundred pounds on PPE integrated with welding protection that they will spend the whole day in that - "Hey it doesn't fit - but whatever...." isn't a business plan....

It sounds like the medical PPE industry needs to have a chat with the industrial PPE people.

Bit like NASA's spacesuit division needed a chat with commercial parachute equipment and deep sea diving equipment makers. Well, they kind of had the chat but didn't listen. SpaceX did, hence their shiny new space suits.
  • Options

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

It’s simplistic. You have Eden, Heligan and Caerhays close to each other. They generate value tourism (ie not the sort of people who bring their own caravans and cheese). Confession - I’ve done some work on Eden’s financings. They are not quite hand to mouth but not a million miles away.
    Precisely those people were largely already comining, it also doesnt really help the inhabitants much as most of the jobs generated last for 12 to 16 weeks a year then you go back on uc till next season.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

"Cornwall’s tourist money."

Go on- I'll bite. Tell us more.
  • Options

5th July looks like the new 21st June: govt heading for a two-week delay to step 4 of the English lockdown roadmap.

Senior ministers will meet on Sunday afternoon/evening after G7 summit to make decision based on very latest data.

Story @janemerrick23
    :

Then 5th July turns into 19th July to coincide with schools breaking up, then it will only be a other two weeks until everyone's been jabbed twice, then we'll need 10 days to get to maxim efficacy, then schools are reopening so keep measures until we're sure it won't lead to another spike in cases so let's do 12-17 year olds and finish those vaccines first, oh no it's time for the booster jab programme so we had better complete that first before everyone can be free.

Fuck it's 2022.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Only if its an extra million visitors to cornwall....it wasn't. Mostly they were coming anyway so in fact money they would have spent are now funneled instead to the Eden project so leaving other businesses with less. It has also brought increased traffic congestion to the area, lowered house prices in the area due to the traffic. Increased delivery time to businesses in the area and increased pollution in the area
    "Eden employs some 400 people and gives another 300 people the opportunity to volunteer with us. Since opening to the public in 2001, the place has attracted more than 20 million visitors and inspired an economic renaissance in Cornwall by contributing more than £2 billion to the local economy."
    https://www.edenproject.com/eden-story/about-us/our-funding

There's a significant contribution there, however you slice it.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

Although tourism jobs tend to be low paid and seasonal, it’s better than nothing.

And the tourist “brand” adds value to other things like Cornish food and drink products.

It’s an asset - and it can/should be leveraged to support investment in higher-value activities (like space tech).

I doubt Great Yarmouth or Skegness would be turning up their nose at Cornwall’s success.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Supporting where you come from is now misanthroptic?
  • Options
    I think Scotland to win the euros @240/1 is value.

There. I’ve said it.

On for a tenner.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It is when you grizzle about people coming to visit and spend a bit a money in your otherwise deprived home.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I’m not an at all an expert, but I believe they keep promising to open a mine down there? Perhaps the renewed Anglo-American focus on strategic in-sourcing will finally provide enough of a business case.
    Yeah that's why I said could, there's going to be a serious amount of nimbyism.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Story @janemerrick23
    :

Then 5th July turns into 19th July to coincide with schools breaking up, then it will only be a other two weeks until everyone's been jabbed twice, then we'll need 10 days to get to maxim efficacy, then schools are reopening so keep measures until we're sure it won't lead to another spike in cases so let's do 12-17 year olds and finish those vaccines first, oh no it's time for the booster jab programme so we had better complete that first before everyone can be free.

Fuck it's 2022.
    If they are going to stall until some point next month *and* they give an unambiguous guarantee that the rest of the punishments will be lifted on that day, then I'll choose to take their word for it just this once and assume that it will probably happen.

If it's anything else (x-number of weeks and another "review", or some other form of spurious waffle from Johnson) then the default assumption has to be that more excuses will be found.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

How much of that tourist money stays in cornwall though and how much goes instead to the owners of places and companies that hail from london
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

Although tourism jobs tend to be low paid and seasonal, it’s better than nothing.

And the tourist “brand” adds value to other things like Cornish food and drink products.

It’s an asset - and it can/should be leveraged to support investment in higher-value activities (like space tech).

I doubt Great Yarmouth or Skegness would be turning up their nose at Cornwall’s success.
    Btw, top marks to whoever nudged the g7 into doing it in Cornwall. Hopefully there will be a decent international tourism boost in one of the poorest parts of the uk.

Well done that man.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

fpt about SKS being doomed because he is a remainer.

Not to say he isn't and I've no idea after the bollocks that the EU indulged in over the vaccines/Ireland, etc what the overall public view is, but do we expect every politician to fall in behind the policies of the winner of the election they've just lost?

Should Lab win in 2024 (don't laugh) will the Cons adopt all the Lab policies because the public has spoken?

Not just because he was a Remainer, but because he actively tried to overturn the referendum result when he was Labour’s Brexit Sec. Politicians who campaigned for Remain but accepted the result and voted to enable Brexit rather than refusing to have it are a different kettle of fish
    If he campaigned to do that presumably that was because he believed there was a constituency which was receptive to that. Not a large enough one, it turned out, but as a political strategy it is perfectly rational, if unsuccessful to date.
    Yeah he can do what he likes, but I think him doing so is a big reason he’s polling the same as Corbyn personally, and his party worse than Jez’s worst election/losing safe Labour seats in by elections
    If it's his Remainerdom that's the problem how come his polling used to be quite good?
    Well almost half the country did vote Remain so he was entitled to get an easy ride at the start in polls. But in the Red Wall Leave seats he is doomed. And at 65% of constituencies voted Leave, he is double doomed

Then, add in the fact he is dull as ditchwater, and it’s triple doomage!
    It's the Remain point that doesn't make sense. He was polling well generally as recently as 6 months ago. Have Leavers suddenly noticed that he used to be an arch Remainer? I know they're not the most astute of units but, no, this seems unlikely.
    It does make sense, because he was doomed even when he was polling better than he is now, due to 65% of constituencies voting leave, and him being the arch Remainer responsible for the ‘people’s vote’ and the loss of the Red Wall.

In a nutshell, I doubt it was Leave voters responsible for his previously good polling
    He was polling quite well generally. Across all the main divides and metrics.
    Was he? I didn’t know that. I will obviously check and confirm/dispute
    In his first Opinium poll he scored

51-4 with Remainers
    22-13 with Leavers

Latest Opinium

36-35 with Remainers
    17-53 with Leavers

Losing popularity pretty evenly really
    Yep. Therefore the problem is not that he's a Remainer. There's no change there. He was. He is.

The slump is due to other stuff. Pandemic. Vaccines. Being dull compared to the MMM. Not opposing enough. Whatever.

This is my point.
    Oh yes, I agree - the SLUMP is due to other stuff. My point was that he was doomed with Leavers from the off
    There is an under rated element in the SKS/Labour problem. The issue of handling Brexit is long term. Even trifles like chilled meats in NI will take ages, be highly charged and could even lead to violence. Labour and SKS clearly oppose Brexit on the whole and think the outcome it at best fourth choice (after Remain, EFTA, soft alignment).

But they seem to have no alternative policy. So on what basis could they (in coalition with LD and SNP!!!) be the best possible government for carrying on the Brexit project in line with what they regard a bad deal, and led by a committed remainer?

The concept is a nightmare. Because we are so far from election and Labour government it isn't to the fore, but it will be.

• Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It is when you grizzle about people coming to visit and spend a bit a money in your otherwise deprived home.
    I grizzle because kids shouldn't be leaving school and having to choose between moving away or only being in work 3 to 4 months a year because they can't find work down there because its all bloody tourist industry
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Story @janemerrick23
    :

Fuck it's 2022.
    If they are going to stall until some point next month *and* they give an unambiguous guarantee that the rest of the punishments will be lifted on that day, then I'll choose to take their word for it just this once and assume that it will probably happen.

If it's anything else (x-number of weeks and another "review", or some other form of spurious waffle from Johnson) then the default assumption has to be that more excuses will be found.
    I don't trust them at all. The public health wankers have seen all of the health "benefits" of keeping people locked up (we don't get run over by cars, we don't get wasted on weekends and end up in A&E with broken arms from tripping up, we don't smoke as much and we've all but eliminated the flu) and they want to hold onto it by any means necessary.

I don't remember who said it but they're right the UK has turned into the NHS with a country attached.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

How much of that tourist money stays in cornwall though and how much goes instead to the owners of places and companies that hail from london
    By all means, then, declare a Cornish autarchy.

Go full Denzil Il-Jong and set up a permanently militarised border at the Tamar, with public executions of those who don’t know all the words to Trelawny.

I couldn’t care less.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I’m off out on the mega lash in Newcastle tonight. Covid? What Covid?
This discussion has been closed.