Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2021 in General
imageWhy ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

With rallies and demonstrations, like the one in New York above, taking place in many US cities to demand that the president be impeached there are increasing reports that an attempt might be made during Trump’s final 12 days.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    First like Liverpool.
  • Can we all pretend that I didn't tip Villa to win tonight.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    FPT
    Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

Here's JFK inflaming the Trumpsters

Why couldn't he just heal the nation instead of stoking division.

https://youtu.be/7BEhKgoA86U

Careful. You'll get @contrarian accusing you of going on evidence free high-minded moral rants.
    I know that JFK was a bit of a wanker but that speech is fire. There's a level of sincerity and anger there that has pure authenticity.
    No, he was definitely not a wanker. If he had been, far fewer vulnerable young women would have been sexually molested by him.

Can we all pretend that I didn't tip Villa to win tonight.

You’ve dumped your tip?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    First like Trump
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Aren't villa playing the under 16s?
  • I'd say impeachment is a 100% certainty, conviction by two thirds in the Senate unlikely.

Turds like Graham say convicting Trump won't allow the nation to heal.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited January 2021
    It may well be appealing for GOP Senators that Trump should be impeached and convicted so he cannot hold public office again.

They just want someone else to vote for it, as they cannot afford to annoy Trump's support in the GOP base if they want to be serious contenders for the GOP nomination in 2024
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    Floater said:
    When did their strict lockdown start?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    I cannot say I agree that it is 'hard to see no action being taken against the President'. I can see it, I just hope it is very unlikely.

It would be great if he could be prevented from holding office again, I just worry that as time goes on more of those so inclined will tell themselves it is not worth it, or was it really as bad as they thought in the initial aftermath, that legal cases will sort it all out.

ydoethur said:

FPT

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

Careful. You'll get @contrarian accusing you of going on evidence free high-minded moral rants.
    I know that JFK was a bit of a wanker but that speech is fire. There's a level of sincerity and anger there that has pure authenticity.
    No, he was definitely not a wanker. If he had been, far fewer vulnerable young women would have been sexually molested by him.
    I believe it was consensual
  • MaxPB said:

Under 8s.

Amazing stat from the Guardian MBM from Peter Oh.

“James Milner is old enough - and perhaps versatile and hard-working enough - to be the entire Villa team’s dad. It’s men against boys out there!”
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

I'd say impeachment is a 100% certainty, conviction by two thirds in the Senate unlikely.

There's no healing from an insurrection, you have to defeat it and give it nowhere to hide.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

I believe it was consensual
    That’s why I said ‘molested’ not ‘raped.’
    CNN: House Democrats are currently planning to introduce articles of impeachment against President Trump as soon as Monday, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter.

That could set up a vote in the House early to the middle of next week. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi has not explicitly said when this will go to the floor.
    Derrick Evans, a West Virginia state legislator who recorded himself storming the Capitol on Wednesday, faces criminal charges, US officials said.

Evans has been charged in a criminal complaint with entering restricted area and entering the US Capitol, said Ken Kohl, a top official in the US attorney’s office for Washington, DC.
  • FPT

Aston Villa are 43s on Betfair to win tonight.

I know it is the Villa kids and a strong Liverpool team but Liverpool have been a bit poor recently.

Poor value, imo.

Btw, the much touted tip on here that Trump wouldn't attend Biden's inauguration appears to have come in. Nobody has claimed the credit for it yet. I wondered whether you might like to do so as you receive so little acknowledgement of your many splendid suggestions, and never complain.
    It was young Mr Quincel.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I'd say impeachment is a 100% certainty, conviction by two thirds in the Senate unlikely.

They've tried the softly softly approach with the white supremacists since 1877 and it hasn't worked yet. Id recommend a bit more stick.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

I cannot say I agree that it is 'hard to see no action being taken against the President'. I can see it, I just hope it is very unlikely.

It would be great if he could be prevented from holding office again, I just worry that as time goes on more of those so inclined will tell themselves it is not worth it, or was it really as bad as they thought in the initial aftermath, that legal cases will sort it all out.

He needs crushing so hard that nobody is ever remotely tempted to try to emulate him. We need a ww2 result, not a Treaty of Versailles.

St Helena, not Elba.
    IanB2 said:

Derrick Evans, a West Virginia state legislator who recorded himself storming the Capitol on Wednesday, faces criminal charges, US officials said.

Evans has been charged in a criminal complaint with entering restricted area and entering the US Capitol, said Ken Kohl, a top official in the US attorney’s office for Washington, DC.

I just cannot understand anyone who is stupid enough to record themselves committing a criminal offence.

I mean, just - why?
  • MaxPB said:

There's no healing from an insurrection, you have to defeat it and give it nowhere to hide.
    I noticed on Twitter earlier some people pointing some Confederates ultimately went onto work for the US Government (including the cabinet) after the end of the Civil War.

Comparing yourself to racist, slave owning secessionists probably isn't the best look.
    edited January 2021
    Alistair said:

They've tried the softly softly approach with the white supremacists since 1877 and it hasn't worked yet. Id recommend a bit more stick.
    9 of the 11 states of the Old Confederacy voted for Trump even last year when he lost the US as a whole, the divisions of the civil war still linger even today
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I just cannot understand anyone who is stupid enough to record themselves committing a criminal offence.

I mean, just - why?
    I blame the schooling. I hope by the time you are done with them your students are not so dumb as to do such a thing when they inevitably commit crimes.
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    They genuinely thought they'd be fêted for stopping the stealing of the election.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    They might be loons but they've sussed out Lindsey Graham here quite honestly.
    https://twitter.com/dlippman/status/1347612365093826565
  • FossFoss Posts: 694
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    They thought they were going to win.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    I blame the schooling. I hope by the time you are done with them your students are not so dumb as to do such a thing when they inevitably commit crimes.
    I’ve had to explain, slowly and distinctly and in words of one syllable, that you don’t joke to a police officer about carrying knives to kill people with.

Or at least, if you do you shouldn’t be surprised if you’re arrested.

Since then every lesson on law and order starts with, ‘never, ever get funny win the police.’
  • IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

He needs crushing so hard that nobody is ever remotely tempted to try to emulate him. We need a ww2 result, not a Treaty of Versailles.

St Helena, not Elba.
    Imprisonment including de-Trumpification?

• mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    They were completely convinced they were going to take over the government and there was no sense of a criminal offence being committed once they were in charge. Blue Lives Matter meant the police were on their side, and the Commander In Chief would ensure the military did not interfere.

They were, on this occasion, more wrong than right. But just because it was a poorly orchestrated shitshow didn't make it any less intentional or conceptually dangerous.
    edited January 2021
    Pulpstar said:

These people are always 'You work for us' types, who simultaneously don't think anyone who does not share their view deserves to have an official work for them, or even both. Not that Graham isn't a slimeball.
    Foss said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    They thought they were going to win.
    They were not anywhere near Washington (the person, not the place).

If they resembled anyone it was that idiot Antonio Tejero.
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    Mass hysteria? Trump convinced them they were on the side of the angels, saving American democracy rather than launching a coup. That's why I'd favour pardoning the lot of them. What will probably happen is a bunch of idiots will be imprisoned and Trump will be pardoned.
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    Remember these are people who think 306 EVs is fewer than 232 EVs. :smile:
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    If there had been cameras people would have taken selfies at the storming of the bastille.

As it was, people apparently just slowed down sufficiently for people to paint portraits of the events, which must have been odd for the defenders.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    They genuinely thought they'd be fêted for stopping the stealing of the election.
    Yes, exactly. People don't seem to appreciate the level of polarisation in America. Both sides think they are morally superior to the other.

IT used to be just the lefties that did that. They loftily sniffed at the Republican right as poor white trash, "flyover people", racist rednecks, and so on, meanwhile the right shrugged, hugged their guns, got on with their lives, generally ignored Washington (and often won elections anyway).

Now the right snarls at the left, just as viciously: to them the modern American left is traitorous, weird, cranky, effete, and actively trying to destroy freedom (and maybe succeeding).

When both sides claim complete moral superiority, and do it with anger, you have a recipe for something very nasty. And that is, also, why these people were happy to be recorded, or take selfies. They are not called the Proud Boys for nothing.

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    If it was here they'd probably still be unsuspecting of the trouble they were in upon hearing they would soon be serving at Her Majesty's pleasure. A monarch's pleasure sounds great, sign me up!
  • kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    If it was here they'd probably still be unsuspecting of the trouble they were in upon hearing they would soon be serving at Her Majesty's pleasure. A monarch's pleasure sounds great, sign me up!
    The Monarch that raised that degenerate Prince Randy Andy? Or the fornicator and adulterer Prince Charles?

I'm not sure pleasure is what you'd experience.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    It's social media, innit. There was no way they'd let the most significant event of their lives pass without all the photos being shared with the world.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Someone texted me this;

AFTER YESTERDAYS EVENTS MEXICO HAVE SAID THEY WILL PAY FOR A WALL AND CANADA WANTS ONE TOO........

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    The Monarch that raised that degenerate Prince Randy Andy? Or the fornicator and adulterer Prince Charles?

I'm not sure pleasure is what you'd experience.
    They both seem to have experienced plenty of it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248
    Jesus. America is heading into a very dark place.

What a horrible week. Perhaps the worst week of my adult life, in terms of global politics and current affairs.

China crushes Hong Kong. America suffers a quasi-coup. Britain teeters on the edge of national disaster.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:
    Ah, going for the "it was a secret cover up for Salmond and also a deliberate hit job against Salmond." line there I see.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    edited January 2021
    Assumed they were liberals for the first few seconds. Wow. The revolution eats its children.
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Ah, going for the "it was a secret cover up for Salmond and also a deliberate hit job against Salmond." line there I see.
    Too many fish around because of Brexit, so Ross is trying to get two for one.
    TSE's tip looking quite good...
  • tlg86 said:

TSE's tip looking quite good...

We're playing so unlike a Klopp team recently.
  • ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    The scary thing about America at the moment is that they are probably right as far as a very large minority of their fellow countrymen are concerned. There are millions of Americans who will see anyone who goes to jail for this as a martyr or a political prisoner.

America is, I fear, fecked.
  • Villa still 38 on Betfair.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    One of my sons went for a walk over xmas with 1 person - he now has covid

He lives alone and he doesn't seem too bad so that's something
  • Apologies if this is a stupid question.

But if proceedings for impeachment are started against Trump can they continue even after he has stopped officially being President? I am minded that all former Presidents are still referred to as President even after they are out of office.

My main question is whether they can carry on with the aim of preventing him standing again?
    Floater said:

Hope he's okay. I walk most days and I come across a fair few pairs/groups of people, many of whom don't look like they're from the same household.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    edited January 2021
    Salmond's aim is to provide enough evidence to the inquiry to damage Sturgeon so she fails to win a majority at Holyrood, then, after she is fatally wounded, he will make his move and topple her.

This is phase 1 in Salmond's revenge
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595

MaxPB said:

Under 8s.

“James Milner is old enough - and perhaps versatile and hard-working enough - to be the entire Villa team’s dad. It’s men against boys out there!”
    That would be a challenge even for John Terry.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Too many fish around because of Brexit, so Ross is trying to get two for one.
    Surely not enough fish??
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Floater said:

Anecdata - but the B117 has been identified in Guernsey in an arrival who was quarantining with his family. He infected the rest of them.
  • Floater said:

Anecdata - but the B117 has been identified in Guernsey in an arrival who was quarantining with his family. He infected the rest of them.
    I know someone who had Covid who did not infect anyone family members (and all were tested weekly so it is not a case of asymptomatic spread). It still is not clear just how and where this virus spreads.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Atlanta Journal Constitution - After threats of legal action Perdue concedes to Ossoff.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021
    Geri from the Spice Girls teaching English...not exactly the return of the OU to the BBC, which I watched as a kid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9127307/Marcus-Rashford-Heston-Blumenthal-Geri-Horner-star-BBCs-lockdown-learning.html
    JACK_W said:

Atlanta Journal Constitution - After threats of legal action Perdue concedes to Ossoff.

Ah, Perdue a perdu...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    HYUFD said:

It may well be appealing for GOP Senators that Trump should be impeached and convicted so he cannot hold public office again.

They just want someone else to vote for it, as they cannot afford to annoy Trump's support in the GOP base if they want to be serious contenders for the GOP nomination in 2024

Spot on.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Floater said:

I know someone who had Covid who did not infect anyone family members (and all were tested weekly so it is not a case of asymptomatic spread). It still is not clear just how and where this virus spreads.
    How long ago? The Guernsey CMO implied that the infection of a whole household from a single patient was uncommon.
    JACK_W said:

1st round 49.73%
    2nd round 49.5%

Ahahahahaha

Though it doesn't feel right me being older than a US Senator.
  • dodrade said:

MaxPB said:

Under 8s.

That would be a challenge even for John Terry.
    Well John Terry is the Aston Villa assistant manager.
  • Kwasi Kwarteng replaces him as business secretary while Anne-Marie Trevelyan becomes the new energy minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55588750

Rob's mate finally got a top job.
  • Bit embarrassing for Liverpool at HT, can't even beat Aston Villa kids side.
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

These people are always 'You work for us' types, who simultaneously don't think anyone who does not share their view deserves to have an official work for them, or even both. Not that Graham isn't a slimeball.
    That's nowhere near as bad as the videos of the BLM supporters haranguing Democratic politicians who failed to bend to their will.

Oh wait.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited January 2021

Floater said:

How long ago? The Guernsey CMO implied that the infection of a whole household from a single patient was uncommon.
    Autumn. I hope the boffins are working on the question, are "superspreaders" people or behaviours or events?
  • MaxPB said:

My lad is well chuffed that his ex-primary school chum (year above) scored for Villa! Which means he must be 17 or 18.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,742
    Evening all :)

I'm not aware of how impeachment works once a President leaves office - only 8 GOP Senators opposed the calling of the results but whether a third of the caucus would break ranks to back impeachment seems debatable.

There's a stronger argument for letting the clock run out on Trump and looking at his "indiscretions" (real or imagined) once he is out of the Oval Office.

Biden continues to impress by contrast.

If you want to read a revolution consuming itself, here's a good meal for you:

https://amgreatness.com/2021/01/07/the-end/

Basically, it's the GOP's fault. Well, that's the view of the ultra-loyalist and not the first time it's been the fault of the Party or the people. The question is whether these ultra-loyalist Trump supporters will continue to fight foe the soul of the GOP or whether they'll consider it beyond repair and head to other places - the Patriot Party or new similar movement.

We have the small matter of the 2022 elections - not the autumn contests but the primaries for those GOP congress seats and Senate seats up for election. Will we see challengers to both pro and anti-Trump GOP representatives? Given the variety of primary rules (registered GOP voters only or any voters), we could see some interesting contests.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    HYUFD said:

Salmond's aim is to provide enough evidence to the inquiry to damage Sturgeon so she fails to win a majority at Holyrood, then, after she is fatally wounded, he will make his move and topple her.

There is a weird disconnect between the SNP's sky high poll ratings and the party's inner turmoil. Surely Sturgeon ought to be untouchable even if it were proved?

Kwasi Kwarteng replaces him as business secretary while Anne-Marie Trevelyan becomes the new energy minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55588750

Rob's mate finally got a top job.

The 1993 Newcastle Classical Prizeman promoted by the 1981 Newcastle Classical Prizeman...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?
    dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

There is a weird disconnect between the SNP's sky high poll ratings and the party's inner turmoil. Surely Sturgeon ought to be untouchable even if it were proved?
    This has an air of May 2017 about it

Floater said:

It's very clear how it spreads, it's just that there's a massive amount of randomness involved.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,089
    Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

The question we all wanted, but were too afraid, to ask.
    Scott_xP said:
    He seems very firm that Trump incited what happened, so I would hope his 'consideration' of any articles would be brief, then in favour, though I suppose someone could draft it very badly.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?
    Remember these are people who think 306 EVs is fewer than 232 EVs. :smile:
    We can't be too superior as people over here have been arguing that 48%>52% for the last four years.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Which side are most of the Nats on?
This discussion has been closed.