Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

But if proceedings for impeachment are started against Trump can they continue even after he has stopped officially being President? I am minded that all former Presidents are still referred to as President even after they are out of office.

My main question is whether they can carry on with the aim of preventing him standing again?

Nobody knows, as the question has never arisen.

I would have said the likeliest answer is no, because once a President leaves office they become ordinary citizens and therefore subject to the usual court system. But I’ve seen it argued otherwise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/12/06/can-former-presidents-be-impeached/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

Nippy's pals think Eck blew their one big chance.

Eck's pals think Nippy is going to blow their next one big chance.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I'm not aware of how impeachment works once a President leaves office - only 8 GOP Senators opposed the calling of the results but whether a third of the caucus would break ranks to back impeachment seems debatable.

There's a stronger argument for letting the clock run out on Trump and looking at his "indiscretions" (real or imagined) once he is out of the Oval Office.

I'm sure that is what most will do, but there are apparently distinct advantages to not just letting the clock run out. At least make a stab at it now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Salmond has not forgiven her.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    It goes back to 2016 and the SNP not getting a majority and then losing seats in 2017.

Also there's lashings transphobia and Salmond not realising he is yesterday's man.

There isn't a simple summary.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Meet the brains trust of the Patriots

https://twitter.com/iheartmindy/status/1347630575159570442
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.
  • Options
    That revving noise you heard was the boat powering the water skier as he jumped his 154th shark.
  • Options

Kwasi Kwarteng replaces him as business secretary while Anne-Marie Trevelyan becomes the new energy minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55588750

Rob's mate finally got a top job.

The 1993 Newcastle Classical Prizeman promoted by the 1981 Newcastle Classical Prizeman...
    Two Geordies in government? It shows the worth of a good education.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.
    I’m not sure the ‘why’ matters. It’s the ‘shopped’ that he’s narked about.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Never knew @Foxy was Spanish.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    It's well known that shouting 'USA' entitles you to do anything you want at all times. We don't have an equivalent because of our monarchical oppression. And really, who needs to be able to hear what the captain of an airplane might have to say?

Those returning from drunken stag nights just need to chant the same thing and they will stop being upbraided too.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Another difficult day with an awful figure of deaths and another worryingly high number of cases.

Here in London Sadiq Khan's proclamation of a "major incident" had us all panicking though about as much as similar announcements in Surrey and East & West Sussex on Wednesday.

The key differences to this observer between now and March/April are the continuation of work on construction sites. These sites employ a lot of people not just on the sites themselves but as subbies and suppliers so that's a whole sector still operating which shut down in the spring.

My local cafe is still open albeit for takeaway only and the owner is now dead against anyone waiting inside for their food - methinks someone had a word. Nonetheless, he'll still do a decent Full English even if waiting outside on a cold January day isn't comfortable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Foxy is a ghastly Remain enabler of the Natz; that’s enough for HYUFD to get his truncheon out.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    edited January 2021
    1000 Villa if anyone wants to follow @TheScreamingEagles in on his tip now they are 3-1 down.

ETA 4-1 down.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Tanks for all your help!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Nippy's pals think Eck blew their one big chance.

Eck's pals think Nippy is going to blow their next one big chance.
    I don't know what the Eck wing are afraid of. Do they think Labour-style pseudofederalism is going to solve the UK's constitutional problems?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Foxy is a ghastly Remain enabler of the Natz; that’s enough for HYUFD to get his truncheon out.
    What is it with you Scot Nats with your disgusting innuendos?

You fantasising about HYUFD getting his truncheon out, Alistair was talking about Joanne Cherry riding Alex Salmond's tiger earlier on.
  • Options
    I see Liverpool have decided to stop dicking about.
  • Options

1000 Villa if anyone wants to follow @TheScreamingEagles in on his tip now they are 3-1 down.

You never will anything with kids....
  • Options
    Ex-MP quits Labour ahead of sexual harassment disciplinary process

Kelvin Hopkins was suspended by the party in 2017 after a Labour activist, Ava Etemadzadeh, accused him of inappropriate physical contact.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55588756
  • Options
    I knew that I would regret asking...
  • Options

ETA 4-1 down.

It was an excellent trading bet as Villa were as low as 20 earlier on/
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    Floater said:
    Ah Mindy again. I'm beginning to wonder if there was part of me that was secretly hoping to see her man the barricades in the bikini and semi-automatic rifle pose from her profile pic.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Catalunyan surely.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

We don't have an equivalent because of our monarchical oppression.

It's also the scansion, right?

U-S-A! U-S-A! Yup, that works.
    U-K! U-K! Doesn't quite cut it somehow. U-N-K?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Catalunyan surely.
    It’s not Catalonia that bothers him, it’s Gibraltar.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Derrick Evans, a West Virginia state legislator who recorded himself storming the Capitol on Wednesday, faces criminal charges, US officials said.

Evans has been charged in a criminal complaint with entering restricted area and entering the US Capitol, said Ken Kohl, a top official in the US attorney’s office for Washington, DC.

I just cannot understand anyone who is stupid enough to record themselves committing a criminal offence.

I mean, just - why?
    Representative Evans is now claiming he was there as "media" though strangely he removed his self-coverage from his social media.

Note that his criminal actions have been condemned by Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), Gov. Jim Justice (R-WV), the Republican Speaker of the WV State House of Delegates (to which Evans currently belongs)
  • Options

kle4 said:

ING-GER-LAND works...
  • Options
    The referee tonight is Craig Pawson. I asked my dad what he thought of him and he said 'He's poor, son'. I said 'I know, but what do you think of him?'. It was then that my dad then initiated proceedings to disown me.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ING-GER-LAND works...
    Ah, how remiss of me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021
    Chris Whitty to front warning ads as UK Covid deaths hit new daily peak

Amid growing concern in government over compliance with lockdown rules, Chris Whitty will be the face of adverts on radio, TV and social media from Friday evening. Urging people to behave as cautiously as if they are already infected, he said: “Covid-19, especially the new variant, is spreading quickly across the country. This puts many people at risk of serious disease and is placing a lot of pressure on our NHS.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/08/uk-covid-deaths-reach-new-daily-peak-and-set-to-stay-there-a-month

I think they should have made all the Z-List celeb that have been abroad for "business", to do the campaigns for free....don't be a dick like me, stay in your house.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

kle4 said:

U-K-G-B-N-I - not as catchy
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

kle4 said:

Engerland, surely?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Derrick Evans, a West Virginia state legislator who recorded himself storming the Capitol on Wednesday, faces criminal charges, US officials said.

Evans has been charged in a criminal complaint with entering restricted area and entering the US Capitol, said Ken Kohl, a top official in the US attorney’s office for Washington, DC.

I just cannot understand anyone who is stupid enough to record themselves committing a criminal offence.

I mean, just - why?
    Representative Evans is now claiming he was there as "media" though strangely he removed his self-coverage from his social media.

Note that his criminal actions have been condemned by Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), Gov. Jim Justice (R-WV), the Republican Speaker of the WV State House of Delegates (to which Evans currently belongs)
    FBI Special Agent Michael Casper : In thirteen years with the Bureau, I've discovered that there's no amount of money, manpower or knowledge that can equal the person you're looking for being stupid.

President Josiah Bartlet : God, well... Some of the stupidest criminals in the world are working right here in America. I've always been very proud of that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Engerland, surely?
    Shows what happens to meet the necessity of the scan, but just doesn't work for the UK. I guess we aren't a proper country after all.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:
    Pence better stay close to Trump. You never know what he might do if the the grown-ups aren't around.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Catalunyan surely.
    It’s not Catalonia that bothers him, it’s Gibraltar.
    He doesn't like Catalunyans either for wanting to secede from Spain. The same lot who want to take over Gib.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited January 2021
    Michael Apted has died.
  • Options
    They'll want to rerun that poll petty sharpish.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus. America is heading into a very dark place.

What a horrible week. Perhaps the worst week of my adult life, in terms of global politics and current affairs.

China crushes Hong Kong. America suffers a quasi-coup. Britain teeters on the edge of national disaster.
    In fact, the clouds are beginning to lift.

Fact that Lindsay Graham is target for heckling is NOT surprising, he's a prime target from across the political spectrum as a total hypocrite 24/7, 365+1 for leap year. Does NOT mean that the sky is falling.

Trumpsky has beaten himself in a way that no body else ever could.
  • Options
    (CNN) The US may have its own version of a more transmissible coronavirus and that might be helping fuel the already aggressive spread of the virus, the White House coronavirus task force said in its latest report to states this week. Reports sent by the task force to states dated January 3 warned of the possibility of a "USA variant" of Covid-19.

"This fall/winter surge has been at nearly twice the rate of rise of cases as the spring and summer surges. This acceleration suggests there may be a USA variant that has evolved here, in addition to the UK variant that is already spreading in our communities and may be 50% more transmissible," reports obtained by CNN said, calling for "aggressive mitigation ... to match a much more aggressive virus."
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,863
    Floater said:

One of my sons went for a walk over xmas with 1 person - he now has covid

He lives alone and he doesn't seem too bad so that's something

Crikey. You think he caught the bug on an outdoor walk? How?

Sympathies, anyway
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I mean, just - why?

FBI Special Agent Michael Casper : In thirteen years with the Bureau, I've discovered that there's no amount of money, manpower or knowledge that can equal the person you're looking for being stupid.

President Josiah Bartlet : God, well... Some of the stupidest criminals in the world are working right here in America. I've always been very proud of that.
    I wonder how Elizabeth from Bowie, MD is getting on with her complaint against the riot organiser for the way she was treated when she tried to enter the capitol?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.

You fantasising about HYUFD getting his truncheon out, Alistair was talking about Joanne Cherry riding Alex Salmond's tiger earlier on.
    We’re filthy pervs* along with everything else.

*not in an inappropriate touching way.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Ah Mindy again. I'm beginning to wonder if there was part of me that was secretly hoping to see her man the barricades in the bikini and semi-automatic rifle pose from her profile pic.
    This and the heckling of Little Lindsay are proof that NOT all of the mob who stormed the Capitol came by bus. Many flew in and are now flying out.

Pity the poor flight crews AND fellow passengers who must endure this scum.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    IanB2 said:

(CNN) The US may have its own version of a more transmissible coronavirus and that might be helping fuel the already aggressive spread of the virus, the White House coronavirus task force said in its latest report to states this week. Reports sent by the task force to states dated January 3 warned of the possibility of a "USA variant" of Covid-19.

"This fall/winter surge has been at nearly twice the rate of rise of cases as the spring and summer surges. This acceleration suggests there may be a USA variant that has evolved here, in addition to the UK variant that is already spreading in our communities and may be 50% more transmissible," reports obtained by CNN said, calling for "aggressive mitigation ... to match a much more aggressive virus."

The US mutant version of course will be bigger than every bodies else mutant versions....and extremely loud....you will hear it coming a mile off.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's fun to stay in the G-B-N-I.
    Theme tune suggestion for Better Together when there's another Indyref?

I was thinking Strawbs 'Part of the Union':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs

• Options
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

It would put a very different light on things.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Assuming there are trials, I wonder how many will claim they were acting on the orders of the President?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.

Whoa, whoa whoa. I was not talking about Cherry riding Salmond's Tiger! That's disgusting.

The 'Tiger' I was talking about was the sweaty, writhing, seething mass of UDI seekers. She's riding them.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Just seen the new Chris Witty ad....I don't think it is very good. What we really need is something like those AIDs ads. Instead we get Chris going this new variant is bad, stay home, wash your hands.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    In the bottle, around 96%.

Good night.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    kle4 said:
    What about treason and sedition?
  • Options
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Michael Apted has died.

Does this mean no 70 Up?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Floater said:
    Is it just me or are American word-processed documents always ugly as f*ck?
  • Options

kle4 said:
    What about treason and sedition?
    Pah, who even knows what those old fashioned words even mean?
  • Options

Chris Whitty to front warning ads as UK Covid deaths hit new daily peak

Amid growing concern in government over compliance with lockdown rules, Chris Whitty will be the face of adverts on radio, TV and social media from Friday evening. Urging people to behave as cautiously as if they are already infected, he said: “Covid-19, especially the new variant, is spreading quickly across the country. This puts many people at risk of serious disease and is placing a lot of pressure on our NHS.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/08/uk-covid-deaths-reach-new-daily-peak-and-set-to-stay-there-a-month

I think they should have made all the Z-List celeb that have been abroad for "business", to do the campaigns for free....don't be a dick like me, stay in your house.

What they need is really high profile fines and even arrests. Put the fear of God in the good people of Britain. Piers Morgan in prison. That kinda thing
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_xP said:
    Why are these people being named now? Unless someone has taken away Trump's crayons, he's probably already scrawled out a pardon.....
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm sorry I chopped your leg off, but since I'm going on holiday next week you should just focus on healing rather than botheing me.

Edit: Minus the sorry, of course.

Can't heal properly until the infection is removed anyway.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Is it just me or are American word-processed documents always ugly as f*ck?
    The Americans do love their serif.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm sorry I chopped your leg off, but since I'm going on holiday next week you should just focus on healing rather than botheing me.

Edit: Minus the sorry, of course.

Can't heal properly until the infection is removed anyway.
    You chopped Scot's leg off? You know you can just disable the Tweets from appearing right?
  • Options

Why are these people being named now? Unless someone has taken away Trump's crayons, he's probably already scrawled out a pardon.....

Has to sign them before the impeachment
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    You mean they are digging a hole to see if he’ll jump in?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Scott_xP said:
    To be fair, that was an excellent statement by Trump whether through gritted teeth or not.

Had that been the tone of his Presidency, he'd have been re-elected comfortably indeed bigly.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's fun to stay in the G-B-N-I.
    Theme tune suggestion for Better Together when there's another Indyref?

I was thinking Strawbs 'Part of the Union':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs

While The Strawbs were being tongue in cheek, that is a superb song for the Seventies zeitgeist. It was only when things went too far in the Winter of Discontent, that the unions became quite so unpopular.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    stodge said:

Scott_xP said:
    To be fair, that was an excellent statement by Trump whether through gritted teeth or not.

Had that been the tone of his Presidency, he'd have been re-elected comfortably indeed bigly.
    It's not an excellent statement if his character, history and actions make them patently self serving rather than indicative of any sincere wish for healing an unity. Words cannot simply be divorced from context.

If he said 'All you need is love' those would be nice words, but it would not be an excellent statement coming from him. Particularly when all his other words show his desire is the very opposite of healing and unity.

The words are fine, but as a statement they are not, from him.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD will sort ye out.

Whoa, whoa whoa. I was not talking about Cherry riding Salmond's Tiger! That's disgusting.

The 'Tiger' I was talking about was the sweaty, writhing, seething mass of UDI seekers. She's riding them.
    As everybody on here knows, my mind is never in the gutter.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    I'm really not sure this stuff is wise. Eventually Republicans will retake power and they will have an urge for revenge on social media giants acting as state censors for Biden.

Democrats are acting as if they won the election by a landslide and they have nearly all of America on their side, against a tiny seditious minority.

The polls, unfortunately, show this is not the case.

America is headed for even greater polarisation - and conflict. Maybe it is inevitable.

It's like Brexit, but with 7 billion semi automatic machine guns.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    OK, how about..... does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst Yes voters?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:
    Democrats are acting as if they won the election by a landslide and they have nearly all of America on their side, against a tiny seditious minority.
    Biden isn't.

As for the actions of twitter et al not being wise, the thing is many of these examples do appear to be blatant violations of their policies, so leaving them up would be pandering to them because of their politics, so they are kind of caught here.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited January 2021

ETA 4-1 down.

It was an excellent trading bet as Villa were as low as 20 earlier on/
    For once you have something to be modest about, TSE. ;)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Floater said:
    I'm really not sure this stuff is wise. Eventually Republicans will retake power and they will have an urge for revenge on social media giants acting as state censors for Biden.

The polls, unfortunately, show this is not the case.

America is headed for even greater polarisation - and conflict. Maybe it is inevitable.

It's like Brexit, but with 7 billion semi automatic machine guns.
    The Republicans who will take power some day will NOT be interested in seeking revenge for the likes of Flynn & Sidney Powell, let alone Trumpsky.

The majority of people who just voted to re-elect Trumpsky do NOT support his inciting a mob to attack the Capitol of the United States.
This discussion has been closed.