Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,646
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Salmond has not forgiven her.
    But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.
    I’m not sure the ‘why’ matters. It’s the ‘shopped’ that he’s narked about.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

It would put a very different light on things.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    OK, how about..... does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst Yes voters?
    Difficult to tell because of various factors. But in a sense, what is the point? Things have moved on. He's not an active pol now. AFAIK he's not standing as a candidate for any election. And we're not Tories that give peerages out like sweeties, albeit very expensive sweeties. The Unionist (especially English) media focus on him is in a sense like their focus on Messrs Sillars and Bell. Like talking about Mr E. MIliband or Mr Cameron in terms of current English election politics.
    I've no doubt he is yesterday's hero, however my question is: does he have enough of a fanbase for him to delude himself (he is famously vain) that he will bring down Sturgeon in the belief that he, or his acolyte Cherry, can take over?
    It may not be huge news around the world or affect the Uk Govt, but in Scotland, if this is just the starting pistol, it's going to be massive.
    This was promised in both 2020 and 2019.

Im not saying it won't happen in 2021 but fuck me it's been trailed for years now.
    Also, it's rather meh - Theresa May may for all I know hate Mr Johnson's guts, but that is not news. Ano more than bear shite being discovered in Glentress Forest and Murdo Fraser supporting Rangers FC.
    Er, this is a bit different. Theresa May, God bless her, was not wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, bordering on rape, in a state-sanctioned legal case about her violently pegging a young male aide, apparently promulgated then concealed by Boris Johnson.

The Salmond Affair is a bit juicier than "meh". Tho I can see why you would like to minimalise it.
    Not trying to minimise it - but rather focussing on the likely political status and future career of the man, which is what you were asking about. Not the situation as a whole.

That is ,of course, only part of the entire situation, which has to play out.
    Fair nuff. This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened. The timing is all wrong for Sturgeon.

To be fair to the Nats, their incredible supremacy at Holyrood has proved me wrong time and again, and just continues. but this feels dangerous. We shall see.

"Supremacy"? It is a minority government, to be more accurate. Which is, of course, also very relevant.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened.

To be fair to the Nats, their incredible supremacy at Holyrood has proved me wrong time and again, and just continues. but this feels dangerous. We shall see.

Er...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,636
    Leon said:

Leon said:

South African strain recorded in Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-south-african-strain-detected-for-first-time-in-ireland-1.4453160

Why the F are we exempting them from the Covid test rule???

Because there's no hard border in Ireland?
    So test all incomers to GB
    Given our infection rates here, what's the actual fecking point any more? It'd be a bit like using an umbrella to keep the rain off while swimming in the sea, surely?

The only focus now must be: vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    Difficult to tell because of various factors. But in a sense, what is the point? Things have moved on. He's not an active pol now. AFAIK he's not standing as a candidate for any election. And we're not Tories that give peerages out like sweeties, albeit very expensive sweeties. The Unionist (especially English) media focus on him is in a sense like their focus on Messrs Sillars and Bell. Like talking about Mr E. MIliband or Mr Cameron in terms of current English election politics.
    I've no doubt he is yesterday's hero, however my question is: does he have enough of a fanbase for him to delude himself (he is famously vain) that he will bring down Sturgeon in the belief that he, or his acolyte Cherry, can take over?
    It may not be huge news around the world or affect the Uk Govt, but in Scotland, if this is just the starting pistol, it's going to be massive.

Im not saying it won't happen in 2021 but fuck me it's been trailed for years now.
    Also, it's rather meh - Theresa May may for all I know hate Mr Johnson's guts, but that is not news. Ano more than bear shite being discovered in Glentress Forest and Murdo Fraser supporting Rangers FC.
    Er, this is a bit different. Theresa May, God bless her, was not wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, bordering on rape, in a state-sanctioned legal case about her violently pegging a young male aide, apparently promulgated then concealed by Boris Johnson.

The Salmond Affair is a bit juicier than "meh". Tho I can see why you would like to minimalise it.
    Not trying to minimise it - but rather focussing on the likely political status and future career of the man, which is what you were asking about. Not the situation as a whole.

Fair nuff. This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened. The timing is all wrong for Sturgeon.

To be fair to the Nats, however, their incredible supremacy at Holyrood has proved me wrong time and again, and just continues. but this feels dangerous. We shall see.

Wishful thinking on your part, I fear.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

"Supremacy"? It is a minority government, to be more accurate. Which is, of course, also very relevant.
    It is a supremacy. The SNP dwarfs all its rivals in terms of polling, votes, popularity..... and has done for years and years. It has been blessed with two extremely but differently skilful politicians as leaders, Salmond followed by Sturgeon. Without them, it would, I think, be almost nowhere.

And now these two are at war. Hmm
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,371
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened.

Er...
    It's the first time Leon has sensed it. :lol: - Sorry Leon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

It is a supremacy. The SNP dwarfs all its rivals in terms of polling, votes, popularity..... and has done for years and years. It has been blessed with two extremely but differently skilful politicians as leaders, Salmond followed by Sturgeon. Without them, it would, I think, be almost nowhere.

And now these two are at war. Hmm
    Maybe but this has been bubbling under for months. In a sense, it validates the SNP complaint that England ignores Scotland.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Leon said:

Floater said:
    I'm really not sure this stuff is wise. Eventually Republicans will retake power and they will have an urge for revenge on social media giants acting as state censors for Biden.

Democrats are acting as if they won the election by a landslide and they have nearly all of America on their side, against a tiny seditious minority.

The polls, unfortunately, show this is not the case.

America is headed for even greater polarisation - and conflict. Maybe it is inevitable.

It's like Brexit, but with 7 billion semi automatic machine guns.
    You need to deal with Trump directly and severely. He crossed the line. This right wing neo facist crap cannot be compromised with.
  • Options
    First time I've actually seen Mary Trump speak (on Newsnight just now). Quite an attractive woman but the lower half of her face VERY DISTURBINGLY resembles that of her uncle.
  • Options
    Apple and Google face pressure to deplatform Parler over calls to violence

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/8/22220366/apple-google-parler-pressure-deplatform-violence-capitol
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    https://mobile.twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1347663102360301569

This is a little different from yesterday’s polling
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Floater said:
    I'm really not sure this stuff is wise. Eventually Republicans will retake power and they will have an urge for revenge on social media giants acting as state censors for Biden.

Democrats are acting as if they won the election by a landslide and they have nearly all of America on their side, against a tiny seditious minority.

The polls, unfortunately, show this is not the case.

America is headed for even greater polarisation - and conflict. Maybe it is inevitable.

It's like Brexit, but with 7 billion semi automatic machine guns.
    You need to deal with Trump directly and severely. He crossed the line. This right wing neo facist crap cannot be compromised with.
    Agreed. Look what pandering to Hitler in 1932 led to.
  • Options

First time I've actually seen Mary Trump speak (on Newsnight just now). Quite an attractive woman but the lower half of her face VERY DISTURBINGLY resembles that of her uncle.

Her book on Trump is a fascinating if rather disturbing read.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Trumps been permanently banned from Twitter. Oh Boy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Trump formally suspended from tw@tter
  • Options

Has he sent some naughty tweets? I thought he was being on his best behaviour?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

People will worry about 'lefty' companies enforcing their will, but there are limits to a company's forebearance, even ones which allow a lot of toxic stuff. He used twitter to inflame people into a riot, and even after it started he tacitly encouraged them on it.

Leaving him access would be dangerous.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:
    "permanently suspended"....is that not an oxymoron?
  • Options
    So thats Facebook and Twitter that has de-personed Trump, right? Oh and Twitch I think.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

RH1992 said:
    They used the same term for Katie Hopkins etc. I suppose expulsion from school here is called "permanent exclusion" so I can see the precedent even if it sounds silly.
  • Options

RH1992 said:
    Seems a pretty common usage, but I've always thought that. Maybe being expelled sounds too much like a school issue.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Trump is going to be so pissed .....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    Pulpstar said:

Trump formally suspended from tw@tter

The other day I tweeted the Big Bash League a video of their own footage and twitter took it down and suspended my account! My second account that is, the first was disabled because I tweeted a three lions meme during WC18... twitter advised me to contact my lawyers to fight the case... must get round to it
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2021
    I presume Trump will be on Parler very shortly, telling all his followers how big tech are censoring etc.

I am very concerned how this will all play out.
  • Options
    Parler about to get its biggest signing?

It's all happening for them.

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1347677767706566657?s=20
  • Options

Yippee, the echo chambers are about to get even more walled off from one another.

Can't see another path though given what he did.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911

https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/1347677767706566657?s=20

Thought he was a one club man!
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

I presume Trump will be on Parler very shortly, telling all his followers how big tech are censoring etc.

Apparently Apple is close to pulling their app unless they up their moderation.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    RH1992 said:
    Due to the risk of having to be personally hauled before a Democratic majority committee and possibly face legislation which will hit our profits.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Seeing the hate, anger and all the talk country built on revolution by Trump fans....I think we will see further (attempted) terrorist attacks in the months to come.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

RH1992 said:
    They used the same term for Katie Hopkins etc. I suppose expulsion from school here is called "permanent exclusion" so I can see the precedent even if it sounds silly.
    Why not just has been permanently banned from the platform?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578

Seeing the hate, anger and all the talk country built on revolution by Trump fans....I think we will see further (attempted) terrorist attacks in the months to come.

I think it quite likely that Biden will be assassinated by them.
  • Options
    Trump's 2nd to last tweet:

The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me , AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way shape or form.

Think that might have done it !
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Wow steady on.....For starters he never comes out of his basement ;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Almost certainly. The USA actually got very, very lucky the other night.
    Could have gone differently.
  • Options

RH1992 said:
    I'm hoping the Humber Bridge is permanently suspended whenever I drive over it.
  • Options
    Foss said:

they are on 24 hour notice to introduce moderation ... or they are out
  • Options

/yeah - I understand the ban, but you can see how this will look to a certain crowd
  • Options
    Have long mused, and opined on here, that the best thing for Russia would be a narrow defeat for Trump.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Foxy said:

They won't assassinate Biden, from their perspective Harris is even worse
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foss said:

Lol - there'd be literally nothing on Parler if there was moderation :D
  • Options
    Floater said:

/yeah - I understand the ban, but you can see how this will look to a certain crowd
    I think their approach of basically turning the volume right down on his tweets seemed like a sensible middle ground.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Have long mused, and opined on here, that the best thing for Russia would be a narrow defeat for Trump.

What d'ya mean? He WON BY A LANDSLIDE!
  • Options
    Floater said:

The free market. It's the American way!
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foss said:

If they had none before how could they manage that in 24 hours? Oh well.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538
    The only solution is for people with different political views in the US to find some common ground. The problem is there's no sign of that happening atm, which is very worrying.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

They won't assassinate Biden, from their perspective Harris is even worse
    Do they give you the impression of being bright?
  • Options
    America seems determined on civil war.

Let Trump rant, with increasing impotence, on whatever platform he wants. He is a sad old man in decline, and his power will ebb very quick once he leaves the White House. Carefully prosecute him, if necessary, once he is out of power. Humiliate him. Take him down for tax evasion, or whatever.

This instant ban feeds the rightwing conspiracy that social media is a lefty ruse to silence true Americans. And the Qanon people will have a point.

This is the kind of thing that the Chinese do. And, talking of which, the big winner here is: China.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Let Trump rant, with increasing impotence, on whatever platform he wants. He is a sad old man in decline, and his power will ebb very quick once he leaves the White House. Carefully prosecute him, if necessary, once he is out of power. Humiliate him. Take him down for tax evasion, or whatever.

This instant ban feeds the rightwing conspiracy that social media is a lefty ruse to silence true Americans. And the Qanon people will have a point.

This is the kind of thing that the Chinese do. And, talking of which, the big winner here is: China.

Don't forget TalkRadio got the ban hammer this week as well...its only because Rupert Murdoch owns them and I presume had a very sweary phone call with somebody at google that they got their channel back.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,485
    Leon said:

I have this nagging feeling that you seem rather more determined on it than the US itself.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Juat shut twitter down...problem solved.... although scott n paste might actually have to write some of his own posts for once.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Exactly. And thus ends social media, and Free Speech, as we knew it, which once was a sacred western gift to humanity, mainly because it was so stoutly defended by the world's once-most-important power, the USA
  • Options
    Fox news host Mark Levin says

" I have suspended my own twitter account in protest against twitters fascism......."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    edited January 2021
    Twitter has helpfully told Trump supporters how they should interpret his last few tweets.
    https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1347688467925495809
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I have this nagging feeling that you seem rather more determined on it than the US itself.
    What a purposeless comment.

On Wednesday I did not march on my own brain, and try to blow up my spleen, you fecking idiot
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:
    There are wider issues here, but that is a seriously dumb tweet. The overall context is important, even if people feel the wrong call was made on it.
  • Options

RH1992 said:
    Bigly suspended?
  • Options

Twitter has helpfully told Trump supporters how they should interpret his last few tweets.

There will be blood in January
  • Options
    edited January 2021

twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1347688467925495809

That is a massive over-stretch of those two tweets.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,127
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

There might be attempts, but let us hope none get close.
  • Options
    We are about to get a lot of seriously overdone takes on this. As widespread as twitter has become for major figures in particular to make use of, people are going to be treating using as though it is a right enshrined alongside all others to make use of it. Even with concerns about companies and their power that is going to be so over the top.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Given the context of how he'd primed his audience with all the others over months? Overstretch perhaps but not necessarily massive.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me , AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way shape or form.

How about the 81,000,000 who voted for Biden?
  • Options
    Leon said:

You mean MORE blood.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The only solution is for people with different political views in the US to find some common ground. The problem is there's no sign of that happening atm, which is very worrying.

Was that important over the past 4 years?
    Or has it just become a matter of utmost urgency?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Indeed. That's crazy. Trump has written much more "incendiary" tweets than this. And he is still the rightfully elected president of the USA. They are making him a silenced martyr, which is much more dangerous than a loser with dementia

Bonkers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,485
    Leon said:

There you go again.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wrong tense. Five fatalities already, hopefully the last.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Given the context of how he'd primed his audience with all the others over months? Overstretch perhaps but not necessarily massive.
    Not in the slightest. There have been 4 years and more of dog whistles and coded messages.
    The President is an instigator of terrorism after this week.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

25 states voted for Trump, 25 states + DC voted for Biden.

Yes Biden won but that is a recipe for a split nation
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

There you go again.
    It is very ghoulish on here tonight- to bed!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

There you go again.
    Not me, actually the prediction of my close friend, who is obsessed with Tarot, witchcraft and astrology, who told me in late 2019 that there would be "a massive global crisis in 2020". I kinda scoffed, she was right.

Given the correctness of this prediction, on the 20th December 2020 I asked her for her predictions for the coming year, hoping for something more promising.

Those were her words

"there will be blood in January"

She also expected 2021 to be worse than 2020, and she anticipated a civil war (did not specify where, but I'm guessing America, as of now, as a likely candidate)

For balance, she also told me that aliens would make direct contact with humans within the next ten years.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    Exactly. And thus ends social media, and Free Speech, as we knew it, which once was a sacred western gift to humanity, mainly because it was so stoutly defended by the world's once-most-important power, the USA
    Social media has always been overrated IMO. The type of free speech we had with old-fashioned media was arguably better than the current situation. If you wrote a polite, interesting, relevant letter to the editor of a newspaper you always had a good chance of getting it published. If you sent in a load of rubbish it wouldn't get published.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Indeed. That's crazy. Trump has written much more "incendiary" tweets than this. And he is still the rightfully elected president of the USA. They are making him a silenced martyr, which is much more dangerous than a loser with dementia

Bonkers.
    Not really. Acts of sedition are normally frowned upon. Careers and reputations were ruined for less by Senator McCarthy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Again.
    Was that the case over the past 4 years?
    Or has "healing" suddenly become super important?
  • Options

I think it is entirely unsurprising that someone responsible for attempting a coup might be banned from a mass communication platform that wants to preserve its good reputation.

Compared to what Trump might try to do in the few days left of his Presidency it is nothing.

Want to stay on Twitter? Don't launch a coup.

Well said. The "own the libs for the lolz" crowd. It isn't a game any more.
    Well. Fuck your feelings as they liked to say.
  • Options

I think it is entirely unsurprising that someone responsible for attempting a coup might be banned from a mass communication platform that wants to preserve its good reputation.

Compared to what Trump might try to do in the few days left of his Presidency it is nothing.

We have no conclusive evidence that Trump was attempting a coup. That is all media supposition and, indeed, I reckon, wishful thinking in some parts.

I have read the theories, the roiled crowd marches down the Avenue, the Senate is suspended (or whatever), the election is re-assessed, and so he stays in office.

These theories are plausible, but no more than that. Everything Trump has done is also in accord with a more reasonable hypothesis: that he is a pathetic narcissist that couldn't face public defeat, so he wanted to go out with a show of power: get his people to march on the Capitol, kick off a few scuffles, a firework or two, he feels defended, he bows out having shown he is still a force in American politics (however evil), his frail masculine pride is sustained.

That seems a more likely story. Therefore this banning and accompanying shite is all stupidly overdone and premature. Mockery is much more effective than censorship.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Floater said:

Fox news host Mark Levin says

" I have suspended my own twitter account in protest against twitters fascism......."

Self-important twatter.

Twitter banning Trump is a massive publicity act to big up Twitter, more than it is any actual platform to show its support for free non-violent speech. Bleeeeuuuurgh.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Again.
    I would point out Trump in 2016, Obama in 2008 and 2012, Bush in 2000 and 2004 and Clinton in 1992 and 1996 all won a majority of US states.

In fact you have to go back to 1880 to find the last time both presidential candidates won an equal number of states
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    In presumably related news, Parler is down
  • Options
    edited January 2021

In presumably related news, Parler is down

Tonight there is clearly a mass exodus of the right, especially the US right from Twitter to Parler.

The US right and left now no longer not only tend to live in different states and the right mainly in rural areas and the left mainly in urban areas, they may now no longer even share the same social media platforms
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Leon said:

We have no conclusive evidence that Trump was attempting a coup. That is all media supposition and, indeed, I reckon, wishful thinking in some parts.

I have read the theories, the roiled crowd marches down the Avenue, the Senate is suspended (or whatever), the election is re-assessed, and so he stays in office.

These theories are plausible, but no more than that. Everything Trump has done is also in accord with a more reasonable hypothesis: that he is a pathetic narcissist that couldn't face public defeat, so he wanted to go out with a show of power: get his people to march on the Capitol, kick off a few scuffles, a firework or two, he feels defended, he bows out having shown he is still a force in American politics (however evil), his frail masculine pride is sustained.

That seems a more likely story. Therefore this banning and accompanying shite is all stupidly overdone and premature. Mockery is much more effective than censorship.

I agree the “protest going out of control” theory is likely but his failure to immediately condemn the violence or deploy the National Guard is what has made his behaviour appear seditious.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,151
    Leon said:

You cannot tolerate this sort of shit. Too much is at stake.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Again.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Again.
    Yes. "Healing" has become super important, in the most powerful country on earth (albeit in swift decline), and the guarantor-nation of western freedom. A riven, divided, civil-warring America is in the interest of no one in the West, especially as China, now exposed as an almost entirely malignant power, smoothly ascends, so as to take over.

America under Trump, however awful, is still preferable as top dog nation to China under Xi. And remember, Trump leaves in 12 days.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

I agree the “protest going out of control” theory is likely but his failure to immediately condemn the violence or deploy the National Guard is what has made his behaviour appear seditious.
    I would gently suggest his entire behaviour since the election has appeared seditious.
    And it was really more protest doing exactly what he asked it to do.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Floater said:
    Interesting - the division of social media into disjoint worlds continues, with the right now having a completely separate platform.
This discussion has been closed.