Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Never knew @Foxy was Spanish.
    Foxy is a ghastly Remain enabler of the Natz; that’s enough for HYUFD to get his truncheon out.
    What is it with you Scot Nats with your disgusting innuendos?

You fantasising about HYUFD getting his truncheon out, Alistair was talking about Joanne Cherry riding Alex Salmond's tiger earlier on.
    Whoa, whoa whoa. I was not talking about Cherry riding Salmond's Tiger! That's disgusting.

The 'Tiger' I was talking about was the sweaty, writhing, seething mass of UDI seekers. She's riding them.
    As everybody on here knows, my mind is never in the gutter.
    Just stargazing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:
    I'm really not sure this stuff is wise. Eventually Republicans will retake power and they will have an urge for revenge on social media giants acting as state censors for Biden.

Democrats are acting as if they won the election by a landslide and they have nearly all of America on their side, against a tiny seditious minority.

The polls, unfortunately, show this is not the case.

America is headed for even greater polarisation - and conflict. Maybe it is inevitable.

It's like Brexit, but with 7 billion semi automatic machine guns.
    It is a legal liability issue for the social media companies.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,431
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

We don't have an equivalent because of our monarchical oppression.

It's also the scansion, right?

U-S-A! U-S-A! Yup, that works.
    U-K! U-K! Doesn't quite cut it somehow. U-N-K?
    U-K-G-B-N-I - not as catchy
    It's fun to stay in the G-B-N-I.
    Theme tune suggestion for Better Together when there's another Indyref?

I was thinking Strawbs 'Part of the Union':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs

While The Strawbs were being tongue in cheek, that is a superb song for the Seventies zeitgeist. It was only when things went too far in the Winter of Discontent, that the unions became quite so unpopular.
    It's a very good song.
  • Options

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

HYUFD will sort ye out.
    Never knew @Foxy was Spanish.
    Foxy is a ghastly Remain enabler of the Natz; that’s enough for HYUFD to get his truncheon out.
    What is it with you Scot Nats with your disgusting innuendos?

You fantasising about HYUFD getting his truncheon out, Alistair was talking about Joanne Cherry riding Alex Salmond's tiger earlier on.
    Whoa, whoa whoa. I was not talking about Cherry riding Salmond's Tiger! That's disgusting.

The 'Tiger' I was talking about was the sweaty, writhing, seething mass of UDI seekers. She's riding them.
    As everybody on here knows, my mind is never in the gutter.
    It's in the sewer below! As the good, long-suffering folk of PB-land (and WWVa) know ALL too well!!
  • Options

Leon said:

Floater said:
    I'm really not sure this stuff is wise. Eventually Republicans will retake power and they will have an urge for revenge on social media giants acting as state censors for Biden.

Democrats are acting as if they won the election by a landslide and they have nearly all of America on their side, against a tiny seditious minority.

America is headed for even greater polarisation - and conflict. Maybe it is inevitable.

I thiight they claimed that because they aren't publishers they aren't legally liable for what people post?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Derrick Evans, a West Virginia state legislator who recorded himself storming the Capitol on Wednesday, faces criminal charges, US officials said.

Evans has been charged in a criminal complaint with entering restricted area and entering the US Capitol, said Ken Kohl, a top official in the US attorney’s office for Washington, DC.

I just cannot understand anyone who is stupid enough to record themselves committing a criminal offence.

I mean, just - why?
    Remember these are people who think 306 EVs is fewer than 232 EVs. :smile:
    We can't be too superior as people over here have been arguing that 48%>52% for the last four years.
    Indeed. And that 55/45 is so close that we need a re-run
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:

Biden won by:

306 electoral votes to 232.

81 million popular votes to 74 million.

Seems pretty convincing to me!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    No doubt he will say when he said they needed to go to the Capitol and that 'You'll have an illegitimate president, and its time somebody did something about it' he was only joshing, and it's vague anyway. So no biggy.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

Floater said:

I thiight they claimed that because they aren't publishers they aren't legally liable for what people post?
    They do but I suspect it could be a messy legal nightmare, it is the reason they threw the likes of Alex Jones off their platforms when he started getting sued.

They may have to spend millions of dollars trying to confirm their position.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I've personally been involved with producing the Everest of paperwork my employer now needs to export to Europe. It breaks my heart to know that we now have to ship to an outfit in the Netherlands, who we pay to distribute to their fellow Single Market members - a costly, bureaucratic, time-consuming and wasteful exercise of course, but it was the best available solution.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    edited January 2021

Leon said:

Floater said:

Thought it was about who'll be chairing the Committees who regulate them? And ordering them to appear in front of them.
    Or is that overly cynical?
  • Options
    People call on dictators to resign too. Trump isn't one, to his regret, but it would be just as effective even if he wasn't a few days from office.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,994
    Chrissy Whitty on TV ads? FFS. The guy is a complete turn off. It’s like being lectured by a dead sheep.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Scott_xP said:
    I've personally been involved with producing the Everest of paperwork my employer now needs to export to Europe. It breaks my heart to know that we now have to ship to an outfit in the Netherlands, who we pay to distribute to their fellow Single Market members - a costly, bureaucratic, time-consuming and wasteful exercise of course, but it was the best available solution.
    There's an increasing number of negative stories about Brexit appearing in the Express, with increasingly implausible spin.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Ex-MP quits Labour ahead of sexual harassment disciplinary process

Kelvin Hopkins was suspended by the party in 2017 after a Labour activist, Ava Etemadzadeh, accused him of inappropriate physical contact.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55588756

I'm sorry to hear that. I have no way of assessing the allegations, but I've always liked him - principled but mild-mannered and a bit shy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Scott_xP said:
    To be fair, that was an excellent statement by Trump whether through gritted teeth or not.

Had that been the tone of his Presidency, he'd have been re-elected comfortably indeed bigly.
    It's not an excellent statement if his character, history and actions make them patently self serving rather than indicative of any sincere wish for healing an unity. Words cannot simply be divorced from context.

If he said 'All you need is love' those would be nice words, but it would not be an excellent statement coming from him. Particularly when all his other words show his desire is the very opposite of healing and unity.

The words are fine, but as a statement they are not, from him.
    I think the words were fine and had they been the tone of his Presidency from 2017 we would be in a very different place now.

The problem is Trump isn't a politician - that was one of the reasons why he won. In the land of free enterprise, the businessman is king. We've tried having business people in politics - Jesse Norman being one example. The problem is politics isn't business - in business, if you're the CEO you can command, control and coerce. In politics, you have to argue, persuade and convince. These aren't traits some business people possess and having been used to people jumping at their every command and hanging on their every word, they find the world of politics frustrating.

I've seen it when Councils have hired private sector people to run big departments or to be CEOs. They come in and treat the Councillors either like passive Directors or as employees and soon come unstuck.

As POTUS, Trump enjoyed more power than a British PM for example and as a businessman could treat the administration like a business which meant you were either in favour or you weren't. The turnover of key staff in the Trump WH was symbolic of this and I suspect the rush of "inside the Trump White House" stories from some of his former administration officials will lay bare just how he operated.

The drip-drip of stories over the next 6-12 months will further trash Trump's reputation and whether his diminishing brand of loyalists accept it or not, the country has moved on.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953

Scales falling from eyes?

Heavy traffic on the road to Damascus...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Leon said:

Floater said:

Biden won by:

It doesn't convince me, it concerns me. Trump is clearly a narcissistic, delusional, vulgar and incoherent lunatic, who wildly mishandled the Pandemic, and thus condemned hundreds of thousands of Americans to an unpleasant death. He has grovelled to dictators like Putin, Erdogan and Xi, while snubbing his close democratic allies. He laughs at the disabled and revels in misogyny and.... on and on and on.

He should have got 7 votes, but the culture wars are so vicious in America - and the Dems so despised by many ordinary Americans - he got 74 million, and a majority of whites.

Deeply disturbing.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Chrissy Whitty on TV ads? FFS. The guy is a complete turn off. It’s like being lectured by a dead sheep.

I'd go for the 100% polar opposite. An ad campaign fronted by Brian Blessed bellowing at everyone to stay home.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

Leon said:

Floater said:

Biden won by:

That's 10% more votes. Now, sure, Reagan's landslides were bigger.

But in terms of popular vote lead, this definitely top quartile in the last half century.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Thought it was about who'll be chairing the Committees who regulate them? And ordering them to appear in front of them.
    Or is that overly cynical?
    Cynical but true.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited January 2021

Just seen the new Chris Witty ad....I don't think it is very good. What we really need is something like those AIDs ads. Instead we get Chris going this new variant is bad, stay home, wash your hands.

Don't die of ignorance impatience?

• Options
    Oddly enough, Pence comes out of this very well and he has played a shrewd game but he's a politician and Trump isn't.

The ultra-loyalists may damn Pence in perpetuity but he has positioned himself well for the 2024 primaries and could still run in 2028 if he decided not to contest 2024.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    do it or history will find this congress guilty of terrible inaction
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Despite the evidence of Trump's entire life they thought Loyalty would be rewarded.
  • Options

I'd go for the 100% polar opposite. An ad campaign fronted by Brian Blessed bellowing at everyone to stay home.
    iirc the most successful advert in years was the thing about claiming ppi with Arnie's head stuck on small robot.

maybe they should try that again?
  • Options
    Germany is playing catch-up.

26,000 cases. 1,150 deaths. Today.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:

It is worth noting what the Republicans (and a lot of Democrats) want to do to reduce the power of "Big Tech".

They want to repeal Section 230 of the Communication Decency Act. This gives site owners (like OGH) broad immunity from what is posted by their users on their platform.

In other words, if you were to libel Jeremy Corbyn by calling him "peace loving" or "not anti-semitic", and he chose to sue, then the site that hosted the content would also be liable. In other words, it would essentially require a Twitter or Facebook to actively moderate posts to avoid legal jeopardy.

Think about that for a second. It'd be a massive hassle for pb. But what would it mean for The Daily Stormer? Or Twitter re DJT?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Oddly enough, Pence comes out of this very well and he has played a shrewd game but he's a politician and Trump isn't.

The ultra-loyalists may damn Pence in perpetuity but he has positioned himself well for the 2024 primaries and could still run in 2028 if he decided not to contest 2024.
    Whether he can or not, it is stark that Trump really doesn't seem to think more than 5 minutes ahead at any on time, whereas Pence and the others, people who intend to be around for decades or have been alrady, have focused on getting wins that will last and are now pivoting as much as they can for the new era.
  • Options
    BBC News - Michael Apted: TV documentary pioneer and film-maker dies aged 79
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55597263
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Leon said:

I do wonder if they've had cockney covid for a long time. It was suggested on here that it may have come from Eastern Europe.
  • Options

I love that idea.

Though the kids might wonder why Grampy Rabbit is telling them to stay at home.
  • Options
    BBC News - Salmond accuses Sturgeon of misleading parliament
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55593864
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

It is worth noting what the Republicans (and a lot of Democrats) want to do to reduce the power of "Big Tech".

They want to repeal Section 230 of the Communication Decency Act. This gives site owners (like OGH) broad immunity from what is posted by their users on their platform.

In other words, if you were to libel Jeremy Corbyn by calling him "peace loving" or "not anti-semitic", and he chose to sue, then the site that hosted the content would also be liable. In other words, it would essentially require a Twitter or Facebook to actively moderate posts to avoid legal jeopardy.

Think about that for a second. It'd be a massive hassle for pb. But what would it mean for The Daily Stormer? Or Twitter re DJT?
    Mebbes, Difficult to worry about this as the world collapses.

I am, however, very much in favour of anti-monopolistic action against these huge tech companies. Facebook needs to be broken up, they should be forced to sell Insta and WhatsApp etc

Americans are good at this. They did it to the oil companies in the early 20th century. Please repeat.
  • Options
    Apparently Trump's team voluntarily dismissed one their legal contests, but tried to pretend it was part of a settlement. Classy.
    https://twitter.com/GaSecofState/status/1347354911407792130/photo/1
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    Is the Sainted Nicola in a bit of trouble. Salmond certainly isn't going to make things easy.. and is this just the hors d'oeuvres?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Every second post censored and replaced with the political equivalent of "that would be an ecumenical matter"?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,757
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Salmond has not forgiven her.
    But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.
    I’m not sure the ‘why’ matters. It’s the ‘shopped’ that he’s narked about.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

It would put a very different light on things.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    OK, how about..... does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst Yes voters?
    Difficult to tell because of various factors. But in a sense, what is the point? Things have moved on. He's not an active pol now. AFAIK he's not standing as a candidate for any election. And we're not Tories that give peerages out like sweeties, albeit very expensive sweeties. The Unionist (especially English) media focus on him is in a sense like their focus on Messrs Sillars and Bell. Like talking about Mr E. MIliband or Mr Cameron in terms of current English election politics.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Probably the single most important vice President in US history.
    1. He made clear he would not interfere with the EC votes.
    2. He called out the National Guard.
    Could have been very different.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Whether he can or not, it is stark that Trump really doesn't seem to think more than 5 minutes ahead at any on time, whereas Pence and the others, people who intend to be around for decades or have been alrady, have focused on getting wins that will last and are now pivoting as much as they can for the new era.
    Well indeed. Had Trump spent his final weeks in October getting a cheque out to everyone with his signature on it (metaphorically or literally, no idea how it works) as part of the Covid relief instead of concentrating on getting ACB confirmed then he might have actually won the election.

But Moscow Mitch isn't much better. Concentrating on rejecting further Covid relief and ensuring the GOP Senators take sole responsibility for that . . . in the days before Georgia goes back to the polls to determine who controls the Senate . . . was fantastic GOTV - for the Democrats.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    Lisa Murkowski not mincing her words. The Reps finally waking up?
  • Options

BBC News - Michael Apted: TV documentary pioneer and film-maker dies aged 79
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55597263

OH NO!

That's awful :cry:

I loved the Seven Up Series.

And Gorky Park. And even The World is Not Enough was entertaining enough in places.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

I do wonder if they've had cockney covid for a long time. It was suggested on here that it may have come from Eastern Europe.
    Transylvania?
  • Options
    Yes, Salmond still has a fan club.

No, to answer your follow up question, it is rather small.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

I am, however, very much in favour of anti-monopolistic action against these huge tech companies. Facebook needs to be broken up, they should be forced to sell Insta and WhatsApp etc

Americans are good at this. They did it to the oil companies in the early 20th century. Please repeat.
    Anyone who could afford to buy insta is probably already too big and powerful. They should be forced to float them instead.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Biden won by:

It doesn't convince me, it concerns me. Trump is clearly a narcissistic, delusional, vulgar and incoherent lunatic, who wildly mishandled the Pandemic, and thus condemned hundreds of thousands of Americans to an unpleasant death. He has grovelled to dictators like Putin, Erdogan and Xi, while snubbing his close democratic allies. He laughs at the disabled and revels in misogyny and.... on and on and on.

He should have got 7 votes, but the culture wars are so vicious in America - and the Dems so despised by many ordinary Americans - he got 74 million, and a majority of whites.

Deeply disturbing.
    But Biden got 81 million votes.

51.3% v. 46.9% (inc. 3rd parties, natch). So roughly (very roughly) EURef territory.

BTW Even Hillary got more votes than Trump did in 2016!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    Difficult to tell because of various factors. But in a sense, what is the point? Things have moved on. He's not an active pol now. AFAIK he's not standing as a candidate for any election. And we're not Tories that give peerages out like sweeties, albeit very expensive sweeties. The Unionist (especially English) media focus on him is in a sense like their focus on Messrs Sillars and Bell. Like talking about Mr E. MIliband or Mr Cameron in terms of current English election politics.
    I've no doubt he is yesterday's hero, however my question is: does he have enough of a fanbase for him to delude himself (he is famously vain) that he will bring down Sturgeon in the belief that he, or his acolyte Cherry, can take over?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

I've no doubt he is yesterday's hero, however my question is: does he have enough of a fanbase for him to delude himself (he is famously vain) that he will bring down Sturgeon in the belief that he, or his acolyte Cherry, can take over?
    Yes.

I don't think he envisages a comeback, but to put someone else in, sure.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Transylvania?
    For a cockney, Eastern Europe is the Isle of Dogs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But if Miliband were determined to bring down Starmer, or Cameron to bring down Boris - that would be a huge political story.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Whether he can or not, it is stark that Trump really doesn't seem to think more than 5 minutes ahead at any on time, whereas Pence and the others, people who intend to be around for decades or have been already, have focused on getting wins that will last and are now pivoting as much as they can for the new era.
    Perhaps that's what differentiates the businessman from the politician.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Don't know. But I don't think Ms Cherry is anyone's poodle.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Anyone who could afford to buy insta is probably already too big and powerful. They should be forced to float them instead.
    Fair.

Either way, Facebook seems clearly and dangerously monopolistic, to me. It buys up all rivals, so it has no rivals. Break it up.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The Actual Fuck?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

iirc the most successful advert in years was the thing about claiming ppi with Arnie's head stuck on small robot.

maybe they should try that again?
    Featuring Dido Harding
  • Options
    Sturgeon v Salmond makes the BBC Ten. Perhaps this will impact.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

It may not be huge news around the world or affect the Uk Govt, but in Scotland, if this is just the starting pistol, it's going to be massive.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Are we sure it was Pence called out the NG? If he did, that is very significant for the prospect of any Impeachment process, because it indicates that the President declined to do so, and that would plainly be grounds to impeach.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But if Miliband were determined to bring down Starmer, or Cameron to bring down Boris - that would be a huge political story.
    The point is, could they do it? I doubt it. And I rather doubt it also in Mr Salmond's case. You need a power base, crediblity, and enough support amongst the members in general. Messrs Johnson and Gove to overthrow Ms May, yes - but the current was with them.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

There you go again with your disgusting euphemisms and innuendos.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Whether he can or not, it is stark that Trump really doesn't seem to think more than 5 minutes ahead at any on time, whereas Pence and the others, people who intend to be around for decades or have been already, have focused on getting wins that will last and are now pivoting as much as they can for the new era.
    Perhaps that's what differentiates the businessman from the politician.
    I would like to think businessmen think more than 5 minutes ahead. No one disputes he was intentionally a very atypical politician however.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    kle4 said:
    kle4 said:
    It's produced some brilliant front pages of late. What's going on?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Every second post censored and replaced with the political equivalent of "that would be an ecumenical matter"?
    "That requires a bipartisan approach"
  • Options
    South African strain recorded in Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-south-african-strain-detected-for-first-time-in-ireland-1.4453160

Why the F are we exempting them from the Covid test rule???
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-south-african-strain-detected-for-first-time-in-ireland-1.4453160

Because there's no hard border in Ireland?
  • Options
    StarryStarry Posts: 105
    Trump may have got millions of votes. Not all of these are Trumpers though. Many would have voted for the Republican candidate, whether that be Trump, Romney or even Susan Collins (who could easily fit into the Democrats). It's the weakness of the two-party state. Gritted teeth time to deny the other side for some centre-right voters.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,640

Scott_xP said:
    There's an increasing number of negative stories about Brexit appearing in the Express, with increasingly implausible spin.
    Well, the novelty is wearing off a bit now.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Scott_xP said:
    Where were you shipping to before?

Confused.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

Anybody coming into GB needs a test. Sorry NI, but this is nothing to do with GFA or Brexit; it is about the public health of 64m people trying to beat the Bastard Bug.
  • Options
    Another absolute classic Ooh Ah Daily Star front page
  • Options

Leon said:

Anybody coming into GB needs a test. Sorry NI, but this is nothing to do with GFA or Brexit; it is about the public health of 64m people trying to beat the Bastard Bug.
    But that would mean admitting there is a boirder down the Irish sea. Much mor eimportant not to have to do that.
  • Options
    So we are just about to be hit with SA Mutant Covid (if it isn't here already)....Time to build not one wall, but two round my house.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Are we sure it was Pence called out the NG? If he did, that is very significant for the prospect of any Impeachment process, because it indicates that the President declined to do so, and that would plainly be grounds to impeach.
    It was widely reported on the night. The Governors of Virginia and Maryland did too (one Dem, one Rep).
    Suggesting also the 25th was invoked de facto if not de jure.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

It may not be huge news around the world or affect the Uk Govt, but in Scotland, if this is just the starting pistol, it's going to be massive.
    This was promised in both 2020 and 2019.

Im not saying it won't happen in 2021 but fuck me it's been trailed for years now.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Confused.
    The UK and continental Europe mainly, though to other bits around the Middle East etc.
  • Options

Leon said:

Because there's no hard border in Ireland?
    So test all incomers to GB
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Im not saying it won't happen in 2021 but fuck me it's been trailed for years now.
    Its been a long time coming. Where's the popcorn?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Also, it's rather meh - Theresa May may for all I know hate Mr Johnson's guts, but that is not news. Ano more than bear shite being discovered in Glentress Forest and Murdo Fraser supporting Rangers FC.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Scott_xP said:

Confused.
    My guess would be that the shipped directly.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

Scott_xP said:
    The Actual Fuck?
    The joys of Brexit. Get used...
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    edited January 2021
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

It was widely reported on the night. The Governors of Virginia and Maryland did too (one Dem, one Rep).
    Suggesting also the 25th was invoked de facto if not de jure.

Sure it is being effectively invoked, although I do not think it will be done formally because it was never intended for these circumstances.

Impeachment was, and I'm coming round to the view that it may happen next week. I had thought it wasn't worth powder and shot and wold take too long, but if the Pence thing is right it seems the process could be implemented and concluded quickly.

Here's a good, succinct and quite definite article on the matter:

https://lawandcrime.com/opinion/the-house-is-moving-quickly-towards-a-second-trump-impeachment-this-is-the-evidence-it-must-focus-on/?utm_source=mostpopular
  • Options
    Leon said:

Africanised bees Covid?
  • Options

Alistair said:

If you look really closely...

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Also, it's rather meh - Theresa May may for all I know hate Mr Johnson's guts, but that is not news. Ano more than bear shite being discovered in Glentress Forest and Murdo Fraser supporting Rangers FC.
    Er, this is a bit different. Theresa May, God bless her, was not wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, bordering on rape, in a state-sanctioned legal case about her violently pegging a young male aide, apparently promulgated then concealed by Boris Johnson.

The Salmond Affair is a bit juicier than "meh". Tho I can see why you would like to minimalise it.
  • Options

Alistair said:

If you look really closely...

A truly appalling image. I hope the Senate passes its "screw PB" law, so we are spared such horrors in future
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Confused.

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Confused.

Yes, that's right. But we now have to pay for a proxy in the Netherlands to receive our shipments and then ship them to the customers that we'd previously shipped to directly. Of course it's a bureaucratic nonsense, but was actually the cheapest option.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Transylvania?
    For a cockney, Eastern Europe is the Isle of Dogs.
    You can visit exotic places such as Cyprus, East India and West India Quay all from the comfort of the DLR train.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Er, this is a bit different. Theresa May, God bless her, was not wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, bordering on rape, in a state-sanctioned legal case about her violently pegging a young male aide, apparently promulgated then concealed by Boris Johnson.

The Salmond Affair is a bit juicier than "meh". Tho I can see why you would like to minimalise it.
    Otoh I can't see no reason why a dildo lapidarist and notable objective observer of the Scotch political scene would want to maximise it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Otoh I can't see no reason why a dildo lapidarist and notable objective observer of the Scotch political scene would want to maximise it.
    It is an extremely juicy scandal. The SNP are "lucky" that it is being submerged by Covid, ditto the Brexiteers with the trading problems.

2021 is already replete with more irony than the average decade.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Not trying to minimise it - but rather focussing on the likely political status and future career of the man, which is what you were asking about. Not the situation as a whole.

That is ,of course, only part of the entire situation, which has to play out.
  • Options
    Waahey, the intelligent, young face of the right has turned his gaze from the US political scene!

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1347627781895675905?s=20
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Not trying to minimise it - but rather focussing on the likely political status and future career of the man, which is what you were asking about. Not the situation as a whole.

That is ,of course, only part of the entire situation, which has to play out.
    Fair nuff. This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened. The timing is all wrong for Sturgeon.

To be fair to the Nats, however, their incredible supremacy at Holyrood has proved me wrong time and again, and just continues. but this feels dangerous. We shall see.

This discussion has been closed.