Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    I have no doubt that due to covid none of these early issues will enter the public consciousness and how it plays out will depend on how these early issues are addressed and when public stress over covid dissipates, hopefully with widescale vaccination, and they turn their attention to these issues

I believe that the UK will rejoin the single market and customs union at sometime in the future but I do not see the UK rejoining the EU as a member
    I think that is a bit optimistic. Or scandalous, in that the destruction of the Scottish economy is being concealed by the pox.

Surely 'public consciousness' includes losing your job and your business and finding your town's economy has been trashed and industry wrecked?

Edit: I know Eyemouth and I buy my fish from there. It's getting very personal now.
    I know Eyemouth well and as a youngster I cycled with my friends from Berwick and enjoying seeing the harbour full of fishing boats, with new ones being built on the stocks, while climbing the rocks sparring with the guillemots who had an unpleasant habit of vomiting on you

I have no pleasure in any of this and time will tell how brexit shakes out, but right now with record deaths and covid rampant that is the only issue in most peoples minds
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Salmond has not forgiven her.
    Even worse than your usual bollox. You don't understand democracy and now show you do not understand law or justice either. Mary Whitehouse reborn.
  • Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

"His customer would simply pay €20 for the poster, €5.75 for the VAT and €5 for shipping costs. Wayne would then pass the €5.75 worth of VAT on to his accountant, who in turn would pass it on to Irish Revenue."

Really? Is that how they do it in Ireland? When I ran a UK small business we never gave any money to our accountant except his fees.
    Dunno, well be the way they do things there. Or that chap does. Easier to handle for a small firm if the same chap who does the sums sends the tax on?
    It is probably easier for the chap to pay his VAT receipts into the accountant’s client account every week or month, as he collects the money, then the accountant does the books quarterly and sends the money to the Revenue. It’s a good way of ensuring the money is always there to pay the taxes as they’re due.
    Never heard of this, why take the risk that the accountant goes bankrupt or cheats and you end up both paying VAT to HMRC as well as saving it in the accountants bank?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,841

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

I naturally scale back after the excesses of Christmas and New Year, but January is too grim a month to be completely sober!

In any case, the licensed trade needs the business, and there is Burns Night to mark.

It is a useful self discipline to go dry occasionally though, or give up meat etc. A lot of things just become a habit, and stopping restores a bit of balance to life. Such "fasts" are a feature of most spiritual traditions. I tend to choose Lent myself.

Stopping social media, inc PB, is much tougher. It showes how we become slaves to our addictions.

During the pandemic I have basically hardly touched a drink. Just completely broken the habit of drinking as haven't been out for dinnners and at home broken the cycle of an evening drink / weekend drink.

I can't say I feel better for it, probably because offset against being in the house 99% of the time.
    R4 just now says polling indicates about a third of Dry January folks admit to already having given up.
    One of our twenty something receptionists is doing a sponsored dry January, and I asked her how it was going. She has stuck to it, and has realised that a half bottle of wine every night had just become a habit rather than a pleasure. She has lost half a stone, without other dieting.

She is rather looking forward to pubs reopening though.
    Half a stone in 8 days?!

The other 20-28 receptionists still on the sauce?
    I find cutting out booze part of an effective diet. Not only the calories in the booze pile it on, but the loss of will power too for crisps, nuts, pudding etc etc.
    Make you right. I have a habit of drinking a few of glasses of watered down prosecco every night, and the accompanying snacks are probably worse for the weight than the drink. It is probably nicer when you dont drink at all on balance. I didnt drink for three months either side of my sons birth and didnt miss it at all

Mind you when I was at the gym and working really hard I was 12st 5, now I have slipped into a bit of a lazy routine and had an injury that stopped me running, plus Christmas and all that.. 12st 9, so not too bad.
    That's still a little heavy for a man of average height.
    Ha Ha Isam- you have been fat shamed!
    Ooo no. Would never. But I do think, with weight, it can be a little like drink. A few pounds over is not a sign of obesity, just as having a settler every afternoon doesn't mean a drink problem, but it's something to keep tabs on.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I am sure I am about to regret asking, but can anyone explain to me the internal feud of the SNP in simple terms?

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.
    I’m not sure the ‘why’ matters. It’s the ‘shopped’ that he’s narked about.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

It would put a very different light on things.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    OK, how about..... does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst Yes voters?
    YES
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Now that Trump's rubbish coup attempt has, surely, finally reached the end of the road imagine how it could have worked:

Imagine Bernie Sanders had been the Dem candidate (which looked possible for a while). Imagine he narrowly won the electoral college by just picking up Penn, Mich, and Wisconsin but lost the popular vote (not that unlikely imo).
    There would have been pressure from those powerful people with much to lose from a Sanders presidency to go along with Trump's attempts to overturn the result.
    Probably 50-50 he would have succeeded I reckon.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Is deleting your own tweets part of cancel culture? If so, there's sure been a lot of cancelling going on this week. Lots more to come I expect..

https://twitter.com/ClearlyPossible/status/1347646525078446080?s=20

Fair point from Lord Ashcroft, he is experiencing no shortcomings whatsoever as a result of delays from customs paperwork between the EU and UK...in Belize.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Washington (CNN) An Alabama man allegedly parked a pickup truck packed with 11 homemade bombs, an assault rifle and a handgun two blocks from the US Capitol building on Wednesday for hours before authorities ever noticed, according to federal prosecutors.

Another man allegedly showed up in the nation's capital with an assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition and told acquaintances that he wanted to shoot or run over House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, prosecutors said.

The revelations are some of the most unsettling details federal prosecutors have made public this week as they detail the extent of the arsenal available to aid pro-Trump rioters who stormed the Capitol. Other individuals have been accused of taking guns and ammunition onto Capitol grounds and more charges are expected to come as a wide-ranging investigation unfurls.

Is the Sainted Nicola in a bit of trouble. Salmond certainly isn't going to make things easy.. and is this just the hors d'oeuvres?

Tea's oot
  • malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond's aim is to provide enough evidence to the inquiry to damage Sturgeon so she fails to win a majority at Holyrood, then, after she is fatally wounded, he will make his move and topple her.

This is phase 1 in Salmond's revenge
    Utter rubbish , he wants her out before May so that someone will really push for Independence, telling Bozo to stick his S30 where the sun does not shine. He wants independence more than he wants his own reparation.
    Maybe but Nicola is your best path to independence as she recognises that in international law it has to be done through Westminster and not UDI, which will fail on all counts including any hope of joining the EU

Indeed this civil war in the SNP could actually see the prospect of a legal independence extinguished
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond's aim is to provide enough evidence to the inquiry to damage Sturgeon so she fails to win a majority at Holyrood, then, after she is fatally wounded, he will make his move and topple her.

There is a weird disconnect between the SNP's sky high poll ratings and the party's inner turmoil. Surely Sturgeon ought to be untouchable even if it were proved?
    This has an air of May 2017 about it
    Given his testimony appears to prove she lied to parliament , with witnesses and that the committee has 3 SNP , 4 Non SNP , plus SNP convenor and Tory deputy convenor then she is really on a sticky wicket. Instant resignation if it goes against her. Looks like her days are numbered, trying to get Salmond jailed to save him coming back to politics is looking like it was rather silly move.
    The only "lie" I have seen to date is that Sturgeon had a meeting with Salmond's former chief of staff 3 or 4 days prior to meeting with Salmond himself and was told at that time. She has acknowledged this to be true and says that she forgot about the meeting.

I am struggling to ascertain what the extent and significance of these "lies" are. Can you help? I am also not clear how the Ministerial Code is significant.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Even worse than your usual bollox. You don't understand democracy and now show you do not understand law or justice either. Mary Whitehouse reborn.
    Law and justice in some cases appear to be divergent. Just saying...
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

I naturally scale back after the excesses of Christmas and New Year, but January is too grim a month to be completely sober!

In any case, the licensed trade needs the business, and there is Burns Night to mark.

It is a useful self discipline to go dry occasionally though, or give up meat etc. A lot of things just become a habit, and stopping restores a bit of balance to life. Such "fasts" are a feature of most spiritual traditions. I tend to choose Lent myself.

Stopping social media, inc PB, is much tougher. It showes how we become slaves to our addictions.

During the pandemic I have basically hardly touched a drink. Just completely broken the habit of drinking as haven't been out for dinnners and at home broken the cycle of an evening drink / weekend drink.

I can't say I feel better for it, probably because offset against being in the house 99% of the time.
    R4 just now says polling indicates about a third of Dry January folks admit to already having given up.
    One of our twenty something receptionists is doing a sponsored dry January, and I asked her how it was going. She has stuck to it, and has realised that a half bottle of wine every night had just become a habit rather than a pleasure. She has lost half a stone, without other dieting.

Half a stone in 8 days?!

I find cutting out booze part of an effective diet. Not only the calories in the booze pile it on, but the loss of will power too for crisps, nuts, pudding etc etc.
    Make you right. I have a habit of drinking a few of glasses of watered down prosecco every night, and the accompanying snacks are probably worse for the weight than the drink. It is probably nicer when you dont drink at all on balance. I didnt drink for three months either side of my sons birth and didnt miss it at all

Mind you when I was at the gym and working really hard I was 12st 5, now I have slipped into a bit of a lazy routine and had an injury that stopped me running, plus Christmas and all that.. 12st 9, so not too bad.
    Average height being 5ft 9?
    Yes, I had you down as exactly that. In which case you should be just a few pounds lighter. Nothing to worry about though.
    Ha, no I looked up UK average height and wondered if that's what you had in mind, but I am 6ft, so you'll have to revise your advice
    Lots of blokes think they are six foot tall. Few are. But, ok, if you are one of the few who are not mistaken, I don't think your weight is an issue. No point discussing it further.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722

Is deleting your own tweets part of cancel culture? If so, there's sure been a lot of cancelling going on this week. Lots more to come I expect..

Unimaginative repetition of "EU", fair enough to delete
  • DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

There is a weird disconnect between the SNP's sky high poll ratings and the party's inner turmoil. Surely Sturgeon ought to be untouchable even if it were proved?
    Given his testimony appears to prove she lied to parliament , with witnesses and that the committee has 3 SNP , 4 Non SNP , plus SNP convenor and Tory deputy convenor then she is really on a sticky wicket. Instant resignation if it goes against her. Looks like her days are numbered, trying to get Salmond jailed to save him coming back to politics is looking like it was rather silly move.
    The only "lie" I have seen to date is that Sturgeon had a meeting with Salmond's former chief of staff 3 or 4 days prior to meeting with Salmond himself and was told at that time. She has acknowledged this to be true and says that she forgot about the meeting.

I am struggling to ascertain what the extent and significance of these "lies" are. Can you help? I am also not clear how the Ministerial Code is significant.
    Because she misled Parliament, the ministerial code says that's a resigning matter.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

But she only shopped him because he was wanting to restand as an MSP after losing his Westminster seat in 2017.

Truthfully, to say the least it doesn’t show either of them in a flattering light, but given the paucity of opposition i can’t see it having much electoral impact.
    The thing that would be deeply damaging to Sturgeon is if she'd known about the allegations for a decade before shopping Salmond.

Let it not be failed to be said though that Salmond, as well as being a sex pest, is a grade A idiot. I can't think of anyone who has fallen faster in my eyes than him.
    Does he still have a hardcore fanclub amongst the Nits? I know a number of them quietly despise Sturgeon (cf malcomg's characteristically gentle descriptions of her). Is Eck a Prince across the Water for some?
    You're confusing SNP members with Yes voters generally. Not the same thing by any means.
    Difficult to tell because of various factors. But in a sense, what is the point? Things have moved on. He's not an active pol now. AFAIK he's not standing as a candidate for any election. And we're not Tories that give peerages out like sweeties, albeit very expensive sweeties. The Unionist (especially English) media focus on him is in a sense like their focus on Messrs Sillars and Bell. Like talking about Mr E. MIliband or Mr Cameron in terms of current English election politics.
    I've no doubt he is yesterday's hero, however my question is: does he have enough of a fanbase for him to delude himself (he is famously vain) that he will bring down Sturgeon in the belief that he, or his acolyte Cherry, can take over?
    It may not be huge news around the world or affect the Uk Govt, but in Scotland, if this is just the starting pistol, it's going to be massive.
    This was promised in both 2020 and 2019.

Im not saying it won't happen in 2021 but fuck me it's been trailed for years now.
    Also, it's rather meh - Theresa May may for all I know hate Mr Johnson's guts, but that is not news. Ano more than bear shite being discovered in Glentress Forest and Murdo Fraser supporting Rangers FC.
    Er, this is a bit different. Theresa May, God bless her, was not wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, bordering on rape, in a state-sanctioned legal case about her violently pegging a young male aide, apparently promulgated then concealed by Boris Johnson.

The Salmond Affair is a bit juicier than "meh". Tho I can see why you would like to minimalise it.
    Not trying to minimise it - but rather focussing on the likely political status and future career of the man, which is what you were asking about. Not the situation as a whole.

That is ,of course, only part of the entire situation, which has to play out.
    Fair nuff. This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened. The timing is all wrong for Sturgeon.

To be fair to the Nats, however, their incredible supremacy at Holyrood has proved me wrong time and again, and just continues. but this feels dangerous. We shall see.

Worst case if he started a list only party I reckon he could win a large chunk of seats no bother at all and be the kingmaker. The wokes and cheating lying toerags milking the SNP whilst pretending they want independence should be packing their suitcases. Ceaușescu's comes to mind.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Yes, I had you down as exactly that. In which case you should be just a few pounds lighter. Nothing to worry about though.
    Ha, no I looked up UK average height and wondered if that's what you had in mind, but I am 6ft, so you'll have to revise your advice
    Lots of blokes think they are six foot tall. Few are. But, ok, if you are one of the few who are not mistaken, I don't think your weight is an issue. No point discussing it further.
    If Isam is wearing his thick socks and his football boots maybe he can legitimately claim to be a six footer?
  • kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

I am 6' 1 hence the big g
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

So true.

Was it a coup, was it not a coup?
    Did the president support it, did he not support it?
    Is Trump a fascist, is he not a fascist?
    etc

https://twitter.com/DDDrewDaniel/status/1347578923618619392?s=20

A fuller picture of what happened - death toll of 5.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjRXO72v1s

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Well, by Kinabalu`s rule you are 5 ft 10.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Low bar for "ever brilliant." For a cartoonist, to label things is to lose. "Thinks" bubbles ditto. All it's missing is those little beads of sweat flying off his head.
    At least he resisted naming "Prime Minister Boris Johnson" on the lectern so we'd know who it was supposed to be....
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited January 2021

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

Because she misled Parliament, the ministerial code says that's a resigning matter.
    Presumably, as at Westminster, the Ministerial Code is guidance only.

If Sturgeon has acknowledged the earlier meeting, has she also conceded that she (inadvertantly) misled Parliament?

She needs to.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. kjh, I'm not unhealthy but I do have a bad habit of randomly losing a stone in weight.
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Oh no!! I like your quirky posts, usually quite original and entertaining... but I KNEW you were going to infer that I was not really six foot!! Was so hoping it wouldn't be so. Now I have lost a modicum of admiration, hate it when that happens

I am reading a book at the moment, written by someone with huge passion for the subject matter, who seems v keen to publicize his tome on twitter.

I have noticed a glaring mistake that, as a fellow passionate fan of the subject, I am amazed he would make.

Do I tell him, and poss ruin his life? The fact that he started getting all smug lefty about Brexit in the next chapter tempted me, but I have resisted thus far
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. JohnL, cheers for that reply, missed it earlier.
  • Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

I have shrunk half an inch as I have aged but very clear when my GP practice took my height and weight three months ago that I am 6'1
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

I think the rise in social puritanical pressures is as a result of the internet . Its not a good thing in my view (social puritanism ) but the reason is that pre internet people used to get other peoples views face to face so to speak (TV was also more about third party issues , tv shows etc as ) and that face to face meeting was largely in pubs , bookies , cafes, etc where vices are indulged . Nowadays people get other peoples views from twitter and internet forums where virtue signalling is the key thing so tend to think that they need to stop drinking or punting or smoking more than they actually do

The internet has been a disaster for genuine tolerance.

Mr. kjh, I'm not unhealthy but I do have a bad habit of randomly losing a stone in weight.

Can we all talk in metres and kg please. This should be a metric site.

Even my children have been infected with this imperial stuff.

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

I have shrunk half an inch as I have aged but very clear when my GP practice took my height and weight three months ago that I am 6'1
    You will be telling me your arm has grown back next
    Lead stories on CNN Live this morning:

- guns and bombs found near protest
    - impeachment motion expected Monday
    - Trump banned from Twitter
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Folks, we have a new entry in the disgusting pizza toppings contest:

https://twitter.com/NickMotown/status/1346561079409840128

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Utter rubbish , he wants her out before May so that someone will really push for Independence, telling Bozo to stick his S30 where the sun does not shine. He wants independence more than he wants his own reparation.
    Maybe but Nicola is your best path to independence as she recognises that in international law it has to be done through Westminster and not UDI, which will fail on all counts including any hope of joining the EU

Indeed this civil war in the SNP could actually see the prospect of a legal independence extinguished
    G, she will never go for independence, she just makes the necessary gestures to keep her position. She has had years and years to do something and it has been one excuse after another, she wasted almost 5 years supposedly going to stop Brexit etc, next it will be Covid , and on and on. We will be well shot of her.
    IanB2 said:

Lead stories on CNN Live this morning:

- guns and bombs found near protest
    - impeachment motion expected Monday
    - Trump banned from Twitter

A normal Saturday in America then?

Those are seriously heavy shoes you're wearing there, Mr D
  • Scott_xP said:
    Google translate has that as "Now I finally know why I studied humanities..."
    Is that a good translation? I'm assuming there are plenty on here who didn't need Google for this one.

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

If Sturgeon has acknowledged the earlier meeting, has she also conceded that she (inadvertantly) misled Parliament?

She needs to.
    If she admits it , she is out.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    edited January 2021
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Better than BMI it Waist Hip ratio. The circumference of your waist at bellybutton level should be less than 50% of your height. It is abdominal fat that is most dangerous.

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

She hasn't given her evidence to this inquiry yet but "forgetting" a meeting doesn't sound close to a resigning matter to me. If Salmond had said that she knew perfectly well I have been a sex pest for the last 20 years and she helped cover it up that might be a different matter but that doesn't seem to be the allegation, weirdly enough.
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Difficult to tell because of various factors. But in a sense, what is the point? Things have moved on. He's not an active pol now. AFAIK he's not standing as a candidate for any election. And we're not Tories that give peerages out like sweeties, albeit very expensive sweeties. The Unionist (especially English) media focus on him is in a sense like their focus on Messrs Sillars and Bell. Like talking about Mr E. MIliband or Mr Cameron in terms of current English election politics.
    I've no doubt he is yesterday's hero, however my question is: does he have enough of a fanbase for him to delude himself (he is famously vain) that he will bring down Sturgeon in the belief that he, or his acolyte Cherry, can take over?
    It may not be huge news around the world or affect the Uk Govt, but in Scotland, if this is just the starting pistol, it's going to be massive.

Im not saying it won't happen in 2021 but fuck me it's been trailed for years now.
    Also, it's rather meh - Theresa May may for all I know hate Mr Johnson's guts, but that is not news. Ano more than bear shite being discovered in Glentress Forest and Murdo Fraser supporting Rangers FC.
    Er, this is a bit different. Theresa May, God bless her, was not wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, bordering on rape, in a state-sanctioned legal case about her violently pegging a young male aide, apparently promulgated then concealed by Boris Johnson.

The Salmond Affair is a bit juicier than "meh". Tho I can see why you would like to minimalise it.
    Not trying to minimise it - but rather focussing on the likely political status and future career of the man, which is what you were asking about. Not the situation as a whole.

Fair nuff. This is the first time in years that I have sensed the SNP hegemony might be threatened. The timing is all wrong for Sturgeon.

To be fair to the Nats, however, their incredible supremacy at Holyrood has proved me wrong time and again, and just continues. but this feels dangerous. We shall see.

Worst case if he started a list only party I reckon he could win a large chunk of seats no bother at all and be the kingmaker. The wokes and cheating lying toerags milking the SNP whilst pretending they want independence should be packing their suitcases. Ceaușescu's comes to mind.
    With the goal in sight, just keeper to beat, and said keeper being an Englishman not in any way resembling Gordon Banks, this is surely not the time for the SNP to start tackling themselves.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Scott_xP said:
    Punishing people is divisive. I dont know why we ever do it to anyone.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456

kjh said:

anyway Jeremy Clarkson's survived covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ib4PPFUzi4

And your point?
    Well its not as if covid 19 isnt a discussed topic on here including daily death stats is it! Or are you saying it is not allowed to post good news (maybe not to Hammond and May) about it ?
    I'm a fan of Clarkson, just couldn't see the point of the post. I assumed I was missing something..

I assume you aren't going to tell us about everyone who has recovered? 😀
    Also suggestions Trump was phoning senators trying to get them to slow down the proceedings in Congress, while the riot was underway.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

G, she will never go for independence, she just makes the necessary gestures to keep her position. She has had years and years to do something and it has been one excuse after another, she wasted almost 5 years supposedly going to stop Brexit etc, next it will be Covid , and on and on. We will be well shot of her.
    She is still your best bet for legal independence
  • Stocky said:

As long as you give your weight in newtons...

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

Law and justice in some cases appear to be divergent. Just saying...
    In my opinion he was stitched up , trying to get someone jailed to avoid political competition is pretty bad in my mind. Given the people involved and who they are partners/married to etc it was a real dodgy try with some gullible others egged on to join and try to make it look more real. Luckily for them they cannot be named.
  • Folks, we have a new entry in the disgusting pizza toppings contest:

That could work; I might give it a try.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I want her out , she will never go for Independence. Way it is going she will not get her UN job either, sure Boris will renage in the end.
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Salmond is a sex pest.

Sturgeon shopped him.

With the goal in sight, just keeper to beat, and said keeper being an Englishman not in any way resembling Gordon Banks, this is surely not the time for the SNP to start tackling themselves.
    I do not see her really trying for it to be honest, it is excuse after excuse on why not to push other than the pathetic begging for an S30 every other year.
    Foxy said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Better than BMI it Waist Hip ratio. The circumference of your waist at bellybutton level should be less than 50% of your height. It is abdominal fat that is most dangerous.
    Hate to disappoint, but 35 1/2"
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

She hasn't given her evidence to this inquiry yet but "forgetting" a meeting doesn't sound close to a resigning matter to me. If Salmond had said that she knew perfectly well I have been a sex pest for the last 20 years and she helped cover it up that might be a different matter but that doesn't seem to be the allegation, weirdly enough.
    So am I right in understanding the SNP feud being between a Salmondite UDI faction and a Sturgeonite constitutionalism faction, being fought out by the proxy of alleged sexual misbehaviour and its cover up?

Why not just debate the primary issue?
    Foxy said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Compares waist with hip surely? Nothing to do with height. I may be wrong.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Scott_xP said:
    My favourite comment at the time was "That Jamiroquai album launch is getting WAY out off hand..."

Tragic that people died. Worrying that Aemrican democracy is apparently so fragile. But the whole thing did have the air of that rival station fight in Anchorman...

"There were horses...a man on fire...and I killed a guy with a trident...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7tgX_Uaqs
    isam said:

Alistair said:
    The lefties secretly loved Trump's tweets. Certainly judging by the amount of re-tweeting of them with added narrative about "OMG how can he say that /how stupid he is etc. Makes it a bit harder for them to practise the art of virtue signalling now.
    Once the bad people are off twitter the remnants will discover the bad people amongst their own
    Oh yes. And there are concerns about the various sides further entrenching themselves in their own echo chambers and the power of companies.

But whilst there are lots others who violate their policies too, he definitely has in a dangerous way very recently and simply wont stop just because his lawyers made him read out a statement.

It's a story about Twitter and on Twitter so of course people are massively overreacting about it though. His followers, including media and political figures who pretended to disavow him over the riot, are going to use this as a distraction to yell about the left, but it is just a distraction.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Hate to disappoint, but 35 1/2"
    Elderly male humans, if they have fat to store, store it there.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    A postmodern problem. You know my leftie views, but I have people all over the spectrum among my 850 Facebook "friends". Some of them are American hardcore Trump supporters and post regularly about the dangerous left-wing Democrats who have stolen the election. At the same time they stay in touch personally, ask how I am, send best wishes for Christmas. Should I argue with them? Stay silent? Unfriend them? We have a duty to try to avoid deepening divisions so unfriending seems wrong and hurtful to perfectly nice people with odd ideas, but ignoring things that seem to be totally mistaken doesn't seem the answer.

What I've done is post some thoughts on my own thread (https://www.facebook.com/NickPalmerNottingham/posts/10159028589204592) which they'll probably see but don't need to regard as an intrusion into their threads and their worldview - if they want to take it on board and engage or not is up to them.

Is that the right approach?

I'd like to think if I was as rich as him if not give a crap what people felt about my tweets even if it showed me up.
  • Folks, we have a new entry in the disgusting pizza toppings contest:

That could work; I might give it a try.
    I'm not sure if you should get cancelled or whether I should launch an intervention.

So true.

etc

Repetitious and not much new but the picture of the police officer being squeezed was disturbing. The degree of violence inside the building was greater than was apparent on the day but not unpredictably so.
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Alistair said:
    The lefties secretly loved Trump's tweets. Certainly judging by the amount of re-tweeting of them with added narrative about "OMG how can he say that /how stupid he is etc. Makes it a bit harder for them to practise the art of virtue signalling now.
    Once the bad people are off twitter the remnants will discover the bad people amongst their own
    Oh yes. And there are concerns about the various sides further entrenching themselves in their own echo chambers and the power of companies.

But whilst there are lots others who violate their policies too, he definitely has in a dangerous way very recently and simply wont stop just because his lawyers made him read out a statement.

It's a story about Twitter and on Twitter so of course people are massively overreacting about it though. His followers, including media and political figures who pretended to disavow him over the riot, are going to use this as a distraction to yell about the left, but it is just a distraction.
    Loved the fact it was trending on twitter!
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I want her out , she will never go for Independence. Way it is going she will not get her UN job either, sure Boris will renage in the end.
    Are you suggesting Nippy is a Unionist patsy?

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Well I'm happy to be average height. For the 1930s.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Foxy said:
    "Better than BMI it Waist Hip ratio. The circumference of your waist at bellybutton level should be less than 50% of your height. It is abdominal fat that is most dangerous."

Fifty percent sounded absurdly high to me, but my tape measure gave me a ratio of about 0.47. No call for cockiness here then.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

So am I right in understanding the SNP feud being between a Salmondite UDI faction and a Sturgeonite constitutionalism faction, being fought out by the proxy of alleged sexual misbehaviour and its cover up?

Why not just debate the primary issue?
    Because that doesn't suit either side. Salmond is reluctant to admit his behaviour has been appalling and Sturgeon is reluctant to admit she knew all about it. Instead we have this proxy fight about Ministerial Codes and the alleged failure of the leader of the SNP to report a meeting with the former head of the SNP to her Civil Servants.

I was asking @malcolmg because if this is all Salmond has then I suspect Sturgeon is going nowhere.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Ah, going for the "it was a secret cover up for Salmond and also a deliberate hit job against Salmond." line there I see.
    Which side are most of the Nats on?
    If you are for truth and justice then it has to be Salmond. Trying to get a man jailed for life to stop him coming back into politics is not very pleasant, whoever was involved in it. Hopefully we will find out who perpetrators were eventually despite establishment trying to hide it.
    The real tell is that unionist parties and unionist press have hardly said a peep about it, they can wait for maximum impact.
    If Sturgeon really wants independence, she will resign now. If not, the media will hold their fire in order to launch their full attack at the start of the election campaign, when it would be too late for a replacement to be in place.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

David, Come on you are a lawyer , why were all those Government meetings not minuted and logged. Not only her that forgot the meetings, her personal secretary and others forgot them as well.
    She was up to her neck in the whole stitch up, from the bogus change to procedures which just happened to get only Salmond, accusers suddenly come out of the woodwork in droves and then after coaching the accusers the one doing it is the lead of the inquiry. The Government gets done for breaking the law and has to pay Salmond extraordinary costs , their stitch comes unstuck in court as the lies are easily spotted and jury aquits on all counts. Chickens now coming home to roost despite attempts to limit the inquiries etc.
    Will be interesting to see final outcomes. Scottish establishment are trying hard to keep the status quo but looking like there are going to be ructions.
    Looks like they picked the wrong person to try and stitch up.
  • kle4 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Well I'm happy to be average height. For the 1930s.
    I was the average height for a British woman until recently, but I think they've powered past me. I do have the belly of a six footer, though.
  • DavidL said:

So true.

etc

Repetitious and not much new but the picture of the police officer being squeezed was disturbing. The degree of violence inside the building was greater than was apparent on the day but not unpredictably so.
    Interesting that they should begin with a mention of Benghazi; that was the supreme touchstone for the proto-Trump American Right for years.
    DC police say they have already received 17,000 tips in response to their photo montage of those who breached the Capitol.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Oh no!! I like your quirky posts, usually quite original and entertaining... but I KNEW you were going to infer that I was not really six foot!! Was so hoping it wouldn't be so. Now I have lost a modicum of admiration, hate it when that happens

I am reading a book at the moment, written by someone with huge passion for the subject matter, who seems v keen to publicize his tome on twitter.

I have noticed a glaring mistake that, as a fellow passionate fan of the subject, I am amazed he would make.

Do I tell him, and poss ruin his life? The fact that he started getting all smug lefty about Brexit in the next chapter tempted me, but I have resisted thus far
    No no no. You thought I'd say you were lying about being tall. Being boastful. But in fact I avoided that piece of triteness in favour of assuming you had made an honest mistake. See? It's all in the small print with me.

As to the 'tome', you should definitely tell him if you're sure of your ground. But that's quite an unusual thing to find a book about - six foot tall men - even if you are a passionate fan of the subject.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

"His customer would simply pay €20 for the poster, €5.75 for the VAT and €5 for shipping costs. Wayne would then pass the €5.75 worth of VAT on to his accountant, who in turn would pass it on to Irish Revenue."

Really? Is that how they do it in Ireland? When I ran a UK small business we never gave any money to our accountant except his fees.
    Dunno, well be the way they do things there. Or that chap does. Easier to handle for a small firm if the same chap who does the sums sends the tax on?
    It is probably easier for the chap to pay his VAT receipts into the accountant’s client account every week or month, as he collects the money, then the accountant does the books quarterly and sends the money to the Revenue. It’s a good way of ensuring the money is always there to pay the taxes as they’re due.
    Never heard of this, why take the risk that the accountant goes bankrupt or cheats and you end up both paying VAT to HMRC as well as saving it in the accountants bank?
    A lawyer or accountant’s ‘client account’ would be ring fenced in case of their own bankruptcy. It only ever contains other people’s money, for which they have temporary custody.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    My immediate thought was that if Donald Sr is banned from office, Donald Jr could be far more dangerous if elected. I suspect Wednesday's insurrection was always designed to be a damp squib, it will become mythology, the Trumpists' Munich Putsch.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I am suggesting that given she has done nothing for independence since 2014 that she may well be looking at personal goals more than her day job. Been nothing but excuses so far , years spent supposedly stopping Brexit after it was voted for.
    Toms said:

Foxy said:
    "Better than BMI it Waist Hip ratio. The circumference of your waist at bellybutton level should be less than 50% of your height. It is abdominal fat that is most dangerous."

Fifty percent sounded absurdly high to me, but my tape measure gave me a ratio of about 0.47. No call for cockiness here then.

Not heard of this one before, but I am just below the 50%.

I have made really effort to lose some weight the last few months so pretty pleased I am just under @Foxy 's quota.
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

No no no. You thought I'd say you were lying about being tall. Being boastful. But in fact I avoided that piece of triteness in favour of assuming you had made an honest mistake. See? It's all in the small print with me.

As to the 'tome', you should definitely tell him if you're sure of your ground. But that's quite an unusual thing to find a book about - six foot tall men - even if you are a passionate fan of the subject.
    Oh I am sure! But I don't want to upset him really, and I think if I were proud of a book I published and someone pointed out a rick, I would be quite humiliated. There is a great episode of Frasier along those lines "A Crane's Critique"
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    I have no doubt that due to covid none of these early issues will enter the public consciousness and how it plays out will depend on how these early issues are addressed and when public stress over covid dissipates, hopefully with widescale vaccination, and they turn their attention to these issues

I believe that the UK will rejoin the single market and customs union at sometime in the future but I do not see the UK rejoining the EU as a member
    I think that is a bit optimistic. Or scandalous, in that the destruction of the Scottish economy is being concealed by the pox.

Surely 'public consciousness' includes losing your job and your business and finding your town's economy has been trashed and industry wrecked?

Edit: I know Eyemouth and I buy my fish from there. It's getting very personal now.
    I know Eyemouth well and as a youngster I cycled with my friends from Berwick and enjoying seeing the harbour full of fishing boats, with new ones being built on the stocks, while climbing the rocks sparring with the guillemots who had an unpleasant habit of vomiting on you

I have no pleasure in any of this and time will tell how brexit shakes out, but right now with record deaths and covid rampant that is the only issue in most peoples minds
    Mrs Fairliered spent most of her childhood holidays in Eyemouth, back when the children were allowed out on the fishing boats for the Herring Queen festival. We still try to visit when we can. I hope towns like Eyemouth can survive Brexit.
    Stocky said:

One advantage of going to good schools in the ‘80s and ‘90s - I’m fluently bilingual when it comes to scientific units. :)

(But I also studied French, Spanish and Latin, most of which has been forgotten!)
  • kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    My immediate thought was that if Donald Sr is banned from office, Donald Jr could be far more dangerous if elected. I suspect Wednesday's insurrection was always designed to be a damp squib, it will become mythology, the Trumpists' Munich Putsch.
    Dunno about that.
    Whatever is the definition of that elusive quality 'charisma', I'd acknowledge Don Sr probably has it, Don Jr definitely does not.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

She needs to.
    If she admits it , she is out.
    I think that you are going to be disappointed Malcolm. That said the Unionist parties have not been able to lay a glove on Nicola for years despite one public sector shambles after the other. Its time the professionals had a go.

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Would he be as effective at holding his dad's audience though?

The memorable joke that Donald Trump is not even the worst person named Donald Trump is funny, but worrying.

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Dunno about that.
    Whatever is the definition of that elusive quality 'charisma', I'd acknowledge Don Sr probably has it, Don Jr definitely does not.
    Some people object to acknowledging people we may think are awful can still be charismatic as they mistake it for praise, or because they don't like someone that proves the person is not charismatic.

So I try to push the Pratchett idea of Charis'ntma, being so awful you fascinate people.

Toms said:

Foxy said:

Not heard of this one before, but I am just below the 50%.

I have made really effort to lose some weight the last few months so pretty pleased I am just under @Foxy 's quota.
    Me too, but I am creeping up rather than dipping below, so the running must recommence!
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Dunno about that.
    Don Sr can continue to run the campaign, the "party". It will be impossible to silence him even if the Twitter ban is permanent.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm curious Scott - what happens at other external EU borders? I assume they have the same issues to deal with?
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I am suggesting that given she has done nothing for independence since 2014 that she may well be looking at personal goals more than her day job. Been nothing but excuses so far , years spent supposedly stopping Brexit after it was voted for.
    In less than seven years from Salmond losing the referendum she has tightened the SNPs grip on Scotland, wiped out Scottish Labour, won vast majority of Westminster seats, according to polls could get an SNP majority next year and according to polls has gotten Yes clear into a majority lead for what increasingly seems the next inevitable referendum.

If that's nothing for independence I'm not sure what more you want right now? She is your superstar.
    edited January 2021

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Dunno about that.
    That's right. Junior just comes over as wired and nasty. Key to his father's appeal imo is his lumbering bear like physicality. He's cuddly. Comic too. This takes the edge off and sucks more people in. Touch of the Idi Amins.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited January 2021
    The interview with Kovler who predicted the riot and attempted coup really is interesting.

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1341016471795843080

https://www.gq.com/story/man-predicted-capitol-coup-interview
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    The real issue is that boundaries between party, executive, and civil service have broken down in Scotland.

Nicola has taken advantage to have a political rival tried on trumped-up sex crime charges.

It’s a massive scandal but Salmon can’t really find a smoking gun.
  • Stocky said:

Clearly they are getting a proper education in that case. Thankfully my kids are the same and are fluent in both metric and imperial measurements. I leave it up to them which they choose to use as should you.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

In less than seven years from Salmond losing the referendum she has tightened the SNPs grip on Scotland, wiped out Scottish Labour, won vast majority of Westminster seats, according to polls could get an SNP majority next year and according to polls has gotten Yes clear into a majority lead for what increasingly seems the next inevitable referendum.

If that's nothing for independence I'm not sure what more you want right now? She is your superstar.
    Shh!
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Dunno about that.
    Some people object to acknowledging people we may think are awful can still be charismatic as they mistake it for praise, or because they don't like someone that proves the person is not charismatic.

So I try to push the Pratchett idea of Charis'ntma, being so awful you fascinate people.
    There is a big parallel with that and with bookmaking, in that punters always like backing the over rated flashy, "big name" at any price, so odds compilers like to lay them knowing they can add on a bit of margin and still get the business.

When said player/runner/politician then wins, the odds compiler often develops a hatred for them, based more on the value loser they've had than anything else, and can no longer have a good word said about them
  • eek said:
    The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland is a liar. As they are on the other side of the pond we have to call out these liars.

Brandon Lewis, as SoS, knows precisely the arrangements for traffic between GB and NI. It isn't possible for the SoS not to know. Which makes what he is saying a lie and him a liar. Call it out as Conor Lamb did

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1347675197101514752
  • Floater said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm curious Scott - what happens at other external EU borders? I assume they have the same issues to deal with?
    They do less trade?

The real issue is that boundaries between party, executive, and civil service have broken down in Scotland.

Nicola has taken advantage to have a political rival tried on trumped-up sex crime charges.

How much has all this internecine warfare entered the consciousness of the average Scot?

The election campaign period could certainly be interesting, with Sturgeon and Salmond supporters tearing seven bells out of each other.

When you cannot find a smoking gun most often it will be because no gun was fired in the first place.

If there's a scandal here I hope it is found and anyone involved faces consequences, but if proof cannot be found, well, that isn't automatically a sign that the scandal is well hidden.
    Sandpit said:

How much has all this internecine warfare entered the consciousness of the average Scot?

The election campaign period could certainly be interesting, with Sturgeon and Salmond supporters tearing seven bells out of each other.
    Or stage set for an ostentatious reconciliation or pause in hostilities 'for the greater good'.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

A lawyer or accountant’s ‘client account’ would be ring fenced in case of their own bankruptcy. It only ever contains other people’s money, for which they have temporary custody.
    In the niche world of IT contracting one accountancy firm made a nice sideline in stealing tax payments - the accountant was eventually caught and jailed but it didn't help the firms impacted who had to pay their tax bills twice (once to the accountant and again to HMRC when they asked where the money was)
This discussion has been closed.