Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why ambitious Republicans might back impeach Trump moves – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Alistair said:
    The lefties secretly loved Trump's tweets. Certainly judging by the amount of re-tweeting of them with added narrative about "OMG how can he say that /how stupid he is etc. Makes it a bit harder for them to practise the art of virtue signalling now.
    Lefties? Non-Trump righties as often as not.
    yes but they do not generally get "outraged" enough to re-twwet etc .they tend to just ignore and maybe mutter "knob" under their breath occasionally. Its the signed up politico lefties that need them almost like food
    I've not counted but my impression is most of the links pasted here come from Tories.
  • Alistair said:
    The lefties secretly loved Trump's tweets. Certainly judging by the amount of re-tweeting of them with added narrative about "OMG how can he say that /how stupid he is etc. Makes it a bit harder for them to practise the art of virtue signalling now.
    yes but they do not generally get "outraged" enough to re-twwet etc .they tend to just ignore and maybe mutter "knob" under their breath occasionally. Its the signed up politico lefties that need them almost like food
    I've not counted but my impression is most of the links pasted here come from Tories.
    Possibly a couple but then they are hardly just ordinary folk but politicos (almost by definition) . I shall slightly re-phrase then and say many people on here will miss secretly miss Trumps posts . In the wider social media sphere it is defo lefties though that are secretly lamenting the Tweet ban!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,813

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Doethur, it's only two years ago since the Shadow Chancellor was a man who openly praised rioting thugs, and the current Home Secretary is Priti Patel.

It's a pretty low bar to clear if "the legislature has not been stormed" becomes the threshold of comfort.

I don't think Patel's done anything more obnoxious than might be expected, has she? I mean, it was expected that she'd foul up immigration.
    I think it’s a reference to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/25/priti-patel-kept-up-anti-lawyer-rhetoric-after-met-warning-on-terror

Although it might be her conflict of interest over Israel.
    And your point is?

Off topic, wildly off topic, but am I alone in feeling unreasonably pressured to stop drinking alcohol, against what I feel is my better judgement. Neither Mrs C nor I drink a lot; glass of wine before and another with our evening meal most days. Rarely spirits, and if we do they often replace one of wines.
    And we feel it complements the meal.
    And at least once a week we don't have anything at all.
    Hello I am Old King Cole and I'm an alcoholic
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Doethur, it's only two years ago since the Shadow Chancellor was a man who openly praised rioting thugs, and the current Home Secretary is Priti Patel.

It's a pretty low bar to clear if "the legislature has not been stormed" becomes the threshold of comfort.

I don't think Patel's done anything more obnoxious than might be expected, has she? I mean, it was expected that she'd foul up immigration.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/25/priti-patel-kept-up-anti-lawyer-rhetoric-after-met-warning-on-terror

And your point is?

Off topic, wildly off topic, but am I alone in feeling unreasonably pressured to stop drinking alcohol, against what I feel is my better judgement. Neither Mrs C nor I drink a lot; glass of wine before and another with our evening meal most days. Rarely spirits, and if we do they often replace one of wines.
    I gave up all alcohol 2 years ago. I used to love red wine and champagnes plus some spirits. But I certainly wasn't an alcoholic. I liked it, that's all and could drink in moderation.

I thought I'd miss it but I don't now at all. I used to miss red wine with a steak but that has gone.

I feel stacks better without all those empty calories and blurry feeling. I do other things to get a buzz like walking outdoors.
  • Alistair said:

Ha, ha, ha - I knew it would all be the fault of the lefties!!

not the fault ( i personally don't read Trumps tweets unless by osmosis through (usually ) lefites re-tweeting them) but more an own goal I say
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2021
    After Trump had his twitter account nuked, he used POTUS account to say this (which twitter then took down)...

https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1347717945892474882?s=19
  • Alistair said:
    you see already one guy with Trump withdrawal illness signs. they will miss him when he is gone ! A lot more than the "right"
  • ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

I gave up all alcohol 2 years ago. I used to love red wine and champagnes plus some spirits. But I certainly wasn't an alcoholic. I liked it, that's all and could drink in moderation.

I thought I'd miss it but I don't now at all. I used to miss red wine with a steak but that has gone.

I feel stacks better without all those empty calories and blurry feeling. I do other things to get a buzz like walking outdoors.
    I do feel we are turning into a nation of wholesome beings who like nothing more than walking the dog and posting nice things and inspirational phrases on facebook and linkedin adding something that Obama has just said about loving people . The idea of being a bit edgy is to have a glass of wine (mulled- so you dont actually enjoy it ) once a year at Christmas time and then feel guilty about it.Nothing personal to the above poster but, as a kid I used to watch the Waltons on TV and used to worry the world woudl actually turn into something akin to it . I am back to worrying!
  • In a thin Betfair market, money is going on Trump to stand down before the end of his term (in 11 days' time on Inauguration Day) but this is still a long shot.
    Yes 10
    No 1.1
  • 1.02 Trump to leave office this year.

The 1.02 has been taken and it is now 1.01 Trump to leave office this year.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    edited January 2021

Alistair said:
    Possibly a couple but then they are hardly just ordinary folk but politicos (almost by definition) . I shall slightly re-phrase then and say many people on here will miss secretly miss Trumps posts . In the wider social media sphere it is defo lefties though that are secretly lamenting the Tweet ban!
    You clearly haven't spent any time at all on social media if you think it is only 'lefties' that feed on Trump tweets!

Agenda-pushing not uncommon on this site, but your attempt is no more credible than Trump's coup.

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

I do feel we are turning into a nation of wholesome beings who like nothing more than walking the dog and posting nice things and inspirational phrases on facebook and linkedin adding something that Obama has just said about loving people . The idea of being a bit edgy is to have a glass of wine (mulled- so you dont actually enjoy it ) once a year at Christmas time and then feel guilty about it.Nothing personal to the above poster but, as a kid I used to watch the Waltons on TV and used to worry the world woudl actually turn into something akin to it . I am back to worrying!
    I must have missed the episode where they all flew to DC and stormed the Capitol.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

Mornin', John-boy.....
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924

So on topic, does this seem like a correct read?

1) There are 12 days left.
    2) The House will probably impeach, but it'll take them at least a week, so there will be like 7 days left
    3) The Senate won't be in session, and McConnell won't recall it, but he'll reserve the right to if Trump goes out of control. This, and the 25th amendment, will be dangled over him in case he tries to nuke California or something.
    4) The Senate will be in session on like Trump's very last day (???), but McConnell won't have an immediate trial
    5) The new Senate will bring a trial once Trump is out of office, and it's not totally clear which way it will go. Collectively the GOP would probably like Trump impeached to stop him running next time, but individually it doesn't seem useful to enrage his base. They can reasonably say "time to move on", and the heat will gone out of it a bit since Trump is out of office and unpersoned on social media. So probably there isn't a super-majority to convict, but it's not unthinkable.

On 5 - the issue is that a large number of the Republican members eligible to confirm you as the Republican candidate in the next election will be Trump supporters. While you may not like them they are probably essential to keep on side if you want to continue in Congress / the Senate.

Hence I just don't see where enough Republican votes come from to make it practical. Better to just let the states individual wear Trump down. After all his ability to talk to directly to people has been taken away by Twitter and it's going to be impossible to replace that outlet.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,483
    On dry January:

I naturally scale back after the excesses of Christmas and New Year, but January is too grim a month to be completely sober!

In any case, the licensed trade needs the business, and there is Burns Night to mark.

It is a useful self discipline to go dry occasionally though, or give up meat etc. A lot of things just become a habit, and stopping restores a bit of balance to life. Such "fasts" are a feature of most spiritual traditions. I tend to choose Lent myself.

Stopping social media, inc PB, is much tougher. It showes how we become slaves to our addictions.
  • ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

If you think Facebook is all about posting nice things and inspirational phrases you haven't been paying attention, much worse than twitter imho.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,898

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

Hello I am Old King Cole and I'm an alcoholic
    LOL! Don't think so. Can, and do, have one day off per week, and generally I don't drink before 5pm or so.

Quite a few interesting comments on this. Years ago I used to enjoy a smoke, but when I was a student met someone, a fellow student, who, when we were talking about it...... late 50's and there were starting to be suggestions (outside Germany, but that's another story) that smoking was bad for one ...... said that he'd heard that if didn't want to get addicted, then one shouldn't smile before 11am. No idea why. Anyway I didn't and when, 10 years later, Mrs C was 'expecting' I stopped, just like that!
  • IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

I must have missed the episode where they all flew to DC and stormed the Capitol.
    'Reckon we should we take them cable ties, Jim Bob?'
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    If this is accurate, it's quite alarming:
    https://twitter.com/mattdizwhitlock/status/1347607014277570568
  • Foxy said:

On dry January:

I naturally scale back after the excesses of Christmas and New Year, but January is too grim a month to be completely sober!

In any case, the licensed trade needs the business, and there is Burns Night to mark.

It is a useful self discipline to go dry occasionally though, or give up meat etc. A lot of things just become a habit, and stopping restores a bit of balance to life. Such "fasts" are a feature of most spiritual traditions. I tend to choose Lent myself.

Stopping social media, inc PB, is much tougher. It showes how we become slaves to our addictions.

During the pandemic I have basically hardly touched a drink. Just completely broken the habit of drinking as haven't been out for dinnners and at home broken the cycle of an evening drink / weekend drink.

I can't say I feel better for it, probably because offset against being in the house 99% of the time.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325

Alistair said:

Well you have had bat shit crazy Corbyn for so long, you needed another loon to retweet.. never fear your can turn your attention to Sadiq Khan when Trump has gone.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,878
    "I didn't get where I am today by being silenced"
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,132

After Trump had his twitter account nuked, he used POTUS account to say this (which twitter then took down)...

This is why they have to impeach. He will be back in 2024 otherwise.

And if he wins...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,181
    Scott_xP said:
    Interesting. I'm still of the longer term realisation 5p on beer and fags effect. We will all be poorer but that will be swallowed up by life.

Alistair said:
    Once the bad people are off twitter the remnants will discover the bad people amongst their own
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2021
    I've read some amazing anecdotes about the school "closures". Due to the incredibly wide definition of 'key worker' schools are seeing 50% or more of their pupils eligible for a key worker place.

Specific example I've been given is 500 pupil school has 350 pupils eligible for a key worker/vulnerable place. During the spirng 2020 lockdown approx 30 children were eligible.

Foxy said:

On dry January:

During the pandemic I have basically hardly touched a drink. Just completely broken the habit of drinking as haven't been out for dinnners and at home broken the cycle of an evening drink / weekend drink.

I can't say I feel better for it, probably because offset against being in the house 99% of the time.
    Surely you are getting out for a leg stretch!?

I have severely cut down my drinking from 5-10 years ago. In winter or when all activities have been cancelled a bottle on Saturday and a few glasses on Sunday. In the summer a bottle each on Friday and Saturday and a few glasses on Sunday.

The occasional couple of gins (I like them strong, no ice or lemon, gin from the freezer tonic from the fridge).

I used to drink every day but as others have said don't like the fuzziness.
    Alistair said:

I've read some amazing anecdotes about the school "closures". Due to the incredibly wide definition of 'key worker' schools are seeing 50% or more of their pupils eligible for a key worker place.

Specific example I've been given is 500 pupil school has 350 pupils eligible for a key worker/vulnerable place. During the spirng 2020 lockdown approx 30 children were eligible.

No teachers or pupils at the school my girlfriend works at, but the head is demanding all support staff have to come in same hours as usual - trouble at t'mill, the unions aren't happy
  • anyway Jeremy Clarkson's survived covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ib4PPFUzi4
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

Have you added up the no of bottles that represents and the no of calories. I am on day 9 of being "au regime" as the French call it. Its all a question of self control and not opening the fridge/ uncorking a red.

I sleep better than I could have imagined itoo.
    Well, while I'm not not slim, I'm not overweight. And sometimes we sleep well, sometimes we don't; generally as a result of being concerned about our family. Money-wise, I don't buy £30 bottles.
    Dry January sucks, but wife and I are both doing it this year. It proves there’s isn’t a ‘problem’, however one might define that, and is helping with losing a few lazy pounds that have appeared in the last few months.

Maybe your solution is to only buy £30 bottles - that way they don’t get opened purely because it’s Tuesday? If your willpower fails, then it’s definitely not a bad thing to be choosing between the Chateafneuf-du-Pape and the Barolo. ;)
  • If this is accurate, it's quite alarming:
    twitter.com/mattdizwhitlock/status/1347607014277570568

The tweet seeks to link two separate and probably unrelated things. At base is that 300 vaccine doses were not used because there were not enough qualified patients. Well, 300 is not very many in the grand scheme of things, and we have had exactly the same situation here, but "our NHS" is flexible enough and has offered "spare" vaccinations to staff rather than throw them away as they expired.

I hardly ever drink.

Dry January just seems bloody silly to me. If you enjoy drinking, why not drink?

I like chocolate. If anyone comes up with a chocolate-free puritanical campaign I'll tell them in concise Anglo-Saxon language they can go forth and multiply.
  • TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

I have severely cut down my drinking from 5-10 years ago. In winter or when all activities have been cancelled a bottle on Saturday and a few glasses on Sunday. In the summer a bottle each on Friday and Saturday and a few glasses on Sunday.

The occasional couple of gins (I like them strong, no ice or lemon, gin from the freezer tonic from the fridge).

I built a pain cave and so I go in there and do at least an hour a day on the Bike-ERG, plus other stuff with keytle bells etc. And as a result, I really haven't gone for as many walks outside as I probably should e.g. I am off in a mo for a blast up some virtual mountains on Zwift.

Foxy said:

On dry January:

R4 just now says polling indicates about a third of Dry January folks admit to already having given up.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

anyway Jeremy Clarkson's survived covid.

And your point?
  • Alistair said:

We on the other hand have about 1% of the school going in at the moment: it must vary hugely from school to school.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited January 2021
    Trumpet, the new social media platform for fascists by fascists.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Well that’s me out of the deadpool race.
    Jonathan said:

Trumpet, the new social media platform for fascists by fascists.

When someone copies and pastes their own stuff on here we can say they are...
  • kjh said:

And your point?
    Well its not as if covid 19 isnt a discussed topic on here including daily death stats is it! Or are you saying it is not allowed to post good news (maybe not to Hammond and May) about it ?
  • GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited January 2021
    Alistair said:

Family members who teach say it is completely different to last time. A school that had 5 key workers' children in school during the last lockdown, now has 35 attending. Another that originally had 35 in, now has 90 attending, and a third school has half its 200 on-roll pupils attending each day.

Either their parents have all become key workers, or they've decided "I'm not going through that again".
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,213

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

Dry January or whatever the social media collective mutate the phrase into is another one of those rituals built up through social media like clapping for the NHS. At the end of the day it is meaningless and hardly promotes sustainability in this area. If you are an alcoholic you shoudl look to not drink at all , if you drink too much , cut down a bit , if you drink moderately there is no reason to arbitarily stop for a month (of other peoples choosing) especially as most vices in moderation improve well being including drink
    On the other hand it's not a bad idea to see how giving up alcohol for a month feels, and far better to do it at a time when a whole load of other people are doing the same. It can be quite depressing being the only sober person at a party...
    Of course the usual suspects will get annoyed by this kind of good idea.
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

R4 just now says polling indicates about a third of Dry January folks admit to already having given up.
    Always seemed to me a particularly difficult time to give up booze or diet: mid-winter. Mood low and natural feelings of wanting to eat/store energy. Spring much better time.

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

One of our twenty something receptionists is doing a sponsored dry January, and I asked her how it was going. She has stuck to it, and has realised that a half bottle of wine every night had just become a habit rather than a pleasure. She has lost half a stone, without other dieting.

She is rather looking forward to pubs reopening though.

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

I built a pain cave and so I go in there and do at least an hour a day on the Bike-ERG, plus other stuff with keytle bells etc. And as a result, I really haven't gone for as many walks outside as I probably should e.g. I am off in a mo for a blast up some virtual mountains on Zwift.
    I like the idea of a pain cave. For me it's starting out cold and letting the exercise heat you up that I like. Enjoy the mountain views, that said.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,043

Alistair said:

We on the other hand have about 1% of the school going in at the moment: it must vary hugely from school to school.
    Seems pretty minimal attendance where we are. Online schooling offer is a lot more ambitious than in the spring, which probably helps. Our WiFi is being stretched but is holding up remarkably well.
    On that topic, have Internet providers been leant on by the government to improve capacity and reliability? Feels like Virgin Media for one have raised their game. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well we have managed to cope with WFH and home schooling. Five laptops running teams, zoom, VPNs, plus phones and music streaming, not a problem.
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

One of our twenty something receptionists is doing a sponsored dry January, and I asked her how it was going. She has stuck to it, and has realised that a half bottle of wine every night had just become a habit rather than a pleasure. She has lost half a stone, without other dieting.

Half a stone in 8 days?!

The other 20-28 receptionists still on the sauce?

Alistair said:

In London or Home counties would seem wise.

Alistair said:

Well you have had bat shit crazy Corbyn for so long, you needed another loon to retweet.. never fear your can turn your attention to Sadiq Khan when Trump has gone.
    I think that tells us a lot about your views by the equilance you make. For me they aren't. For me:

Corbyn: Deluded left winger
    Khan: Normal politician I wouldn't vote for
    Trump: I just don't have the words

There is no equilance.
    We risk underestimating Trump’s capacity to bounce back – again

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/08/risk-underestimating-trumps-capacity-bounce-back/

Chris Meyer with a warning.
    isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

I find cutting out booze part of an effective diet. Not only the calories in the booze pile it on, but the loss of will power too for crisps, nuts, pudding etc etc.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Declaration of interest: I've backed (some days ago) Trump to leave office before the end of his term (11 days away). I could green up but it is hedged so I'll let it ride. The price has continued to shorten overnight and this morning but it is a thin market.

My view is resignation in return for a pardon is most likely, and does not (as some have written) depend on Trump and Pence being best mates or even liking each other. Impeachment is possible but conviction probably depends on whether McConnell believes it is in the interest of the Republican Party, which could go either way; I believe this question is more open than some have it. Section 25 depends on the Cabinet but it looks like disaffected members have chosen to resign rather than move against the President.
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

Good morning, everyone.

And your point is?

Dry January or whatever the social media collective mutate the phrase into is another one of those rituals built up through social media like clapping for the NHS. At the end of the day it is meaningless and hardly promotes sustainability in this area. If you are an alcoholic you shoudl look to not drink at all , if you drink too much , cut down a bit , if you drink moderately there is no reason to arbitarily stop for a month (of other peoples choosing) especially as most vices in moderation improve well being including drink
    On the other hand it's not a bad idea to see how giving up alcohol for a month feels, and far better to do it at a time when a whole load of other people are doing the same. It can be quite depressing being the only sober person at a party...
    Of course the usual suspects will get annoyed by this kind of good idea.
    My wife and I have become rather minimal drinkers in recent years, but not through any conscious effort. We're just not that into it anymore, I'm not even sure why. We were never massive drinkers but a proper night out for me used to be 5 pints or more. That's unimaginable now.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,102
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

In London or Home counties would seem wise.
    My son's school apparently had 150 on Friday. That's about 17%. In March it was similar to your experience of nearer to 1%
  • isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

This is worrying - When we get back to office Christmas parties it is always the receptionists that get drunk and dance . This needs to continue

I hardly ever drink.

Dry January just seems bloody silly to me. If you enjoy drinking, why not drink?

I like chocolate. If anyone comes up with a chocolate-free puritanical campaign I'll tell them in concise Anglo-Saxon language they can go forth and multiply.

I used to to like chocolate, but some years ago decided as a weight-loss technique that I didn't and now I might eat some once a month at the outside, and then only ba small piece. (Possibly more, though, in December).
    King Cole, given my own weight, if chocolate helps increase it that's just one more advantage.

I hardly ever drink.

I used to to like chocolate, but some years ago decided as a weight-loss technique that I didn't and now I might eat some once a month at the outside, and then only ba small piece. (Possibly more, though, in December).
    Chocolate is my weakness. Cadburys Whole Nut. Heaven.

King Cole, given my own weight, if chocolate helps increase it that's just one more advantage.

I'm jealous.
    I see even Leave.EU has fled Brexit Britain...

https://twitter.com/EURACTIV/status/1347807827889446912?s=19
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

I find cutting out booze part of an effective diet. Not only the calories in the booze pile it on, but the loss of will power too for crisps, nuts, pudding etc etc.
    Make you right. I have a habit of drinking a few of glasses of watered down prosecco every night, and the accompanying snacks are probably worse for the weight than the drink. It is probably nicer when you dont drink at all on balance. I didnt drink for three months either side of my sons birth and didnt miss it at all

Mind you when I was at the gym and working really hard I was 12st 5, now I have slipped into a bit of a lazy routine and had an injury that stopped me running, plus Christmas and all that.. 12st 9, so not too bad.
    Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

"His customer would simply pay €20 for the poster, €5.75 for the VAT and €5 for shipping costs. Wayne would then pass the €5.75 worth of VAT on to his accountant, who in turn would pass it on to Irish Revenue."

Really? Is that how they do it in Ireland? When I ran a UK small business we never gave any money to our accountant except his fees.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,560
    Indeed. More generally, that sort of thing is one reason I'm very cautious about the actual political impact of l'affaire Salmond.
    To interrupt PB morphing into mumsnet. 😀

I see that the May elections are going ahead, so we do have something to bet on.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1347830121026220035?s=19

Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

"His customer would simply pay €20 for the poster, €5.75 for the VAT and €5 for shipping costs. Wayne would then pass the €5.75 worth of VAT on to his accountant, who in turn would pass it on to Irish Revenue."

Really? Is that how they do it in Ireland? When I ran a UK small business we never gave any money to our accountant except his fees.
    Dunno, well be the way they do things there. Or that chap does. Easier to handle for a small firm if the same chap who does the sums sends the tax on?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:
    Low bar for "ever brilliant." For a cartoonist, to label things is to lose. "Thinks" bubbles ditto. All it's missing is those little beads of sweat flying off his head.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    edited January 2021
    I think the rise in social puritanical pressures is as a result of the internet . Its not a good thing in my view (social puritanism ) but the reason is that pre internet people used to get other peoples views face to face so to speak (TV was also more about third party issues , tv shows etc as ) and that face to face meeting was largely in pubs , bookies , cafes, etc where vices are indulged . Nowadays people get other peoples views from twitter and internet forums where virtue signalling is the key thing so tend to think that they need to stop drinking or punting or smoking more than they actually do
  • Carnyx said:
    I have no doubt that due to covid none of these early issues will enter the public consciousness and how it plays out will depend on how these early issues are addressed and when public stress over covid dissipates, hopefully with widescale vaccination, and they turn their attention to these issues

I believe that the UK will rejoin the single market and customs union at sometime in the future but I do not see the UK rejoining the EU as a member
    edited January 2021
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

Dunno, well be the way they do things there. Or that chap does. Easier to handle for a small firm if the same chap who does the sums sends the tax on?
    My daughter ran a book-keeping business for, mostly, smaller companies and traders. Never, so far as I recall, had anything to do with her customers cheque books or access to their bank accounts. Just told them what to pay and when.
    Some of it was already concrete! Manston runway. But yes, though as usual it's the actual details that are the problem - the kind of thing that can't be solved by throwing money at a chap with two dozen bulldozers and concrerte mixers. It needs thought. That seafood firm in Eyemouth was flagging up warnings a year or so back (as I noted here at the time). And now ...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:
    Connelly says:

It is probably easier for the chap to pay his VAT receipts into the accountant’s client account every week or month, as he collects the money, then the accountant does the books quarterly and sends the money to the Revenue. It’s a good way of ensuring the money is always there to pay the taxes as they’re due.
  • Is deleting your own tweets part of cancel culture? If so, there's sure been a lot of cancelling going on this week. Lots more to come I expect..

https://twitter.com/ClearlyPossible/status/1347646525078446080?s=20
    edited January 2021

Carnyx said:
    I have no doubt that due to covid none of these early issues will enter the public consciousness and how it plays out will depend on how these early issues are addressed and when public stress over covid dissipates, hopefully with widescale vaccination, and they turn their attention to these issues

I believe that the UK will rejoin the single market and customs union at sometime in the future but I do not see the UK rejoining the EU as a member
    I think that is a bit optimistic. Or scandalous, in that the destruction of the Scottish economy is being concealed by the pox.

Surely 'public consciousness' includes losing your job and your business and finding your town's economy has been trashed and industry wrecked?

Edit: I know Eyemouth and I buy my fish from there. It's getting very personal now.
  • Carnyx said:

Bloody waste of time leaving the EU in the first place.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Make you right. I have a habit of drinking a few of glasses of watered down prosecco every night, and the accompanying snacks are probably worse for the weight than the drink. It is probably nicer when you dont drink at all on balance. I didnt drink for three months either side of my sons birth and didnt miss it at all

Mind you when I was at the gym and working really hard I was 12st 5, now I have slipped into a bit of a lazy routine and had an injury that stopped me running, plus Christmas and all that.. 12st 9, so not too bad.
    That's still a little heavy for a man of average height.
  • kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Ha Ha Isam- you have been fat shamed!
  • Fukkin literal commie Marxist Biden calling us literal Nazis

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1347678192123990016?s=20
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Average height being 5ft 9?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962

If he nicks my idea for the name (Trumpet) I'm suing.

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

BMI 24 not too concerned
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    HYUFD said:

dodrade said:

HYUFD said:

Salmond's aim is to provide enough evidence to the inquiry to damage Sturgeon so she fails to win a majority at Holyrood, then, after she is fatally wounded, he will make his move and topple her.

This is phase 1 in Salmond's revenge
    There is a weird disconnect between the SNP's sky high poll ratings and the party's inner turmoil. Surely Sturgeon ought to be untouchable even if it were proved?
    This has an air of May 2017 about it
    Given his testimony appears to prove she lied to parliament , with witnesses and that the committee has 3 SNP , 4 Non SNP , plus SNP convenor and Tory deputy convenor then she is really on a sticky wicket. Instant resignation if it goes against her. Looks like her days are numbered, trying to get Salmond jailed to save him coming back to politics is looking like it was rather silly move.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Carnyx said:

"Will people notice we fucked up? How will we spin it when they do?" Life is about how things are rather than how they look.
  • isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

BMI 24 not too concerned
    definitely - ignore the puritans!

I'd stay as you are. Thin is a great look. People picture 'Bowie in Berlin' when they read your posts. Well I do, anyway.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,699

I hardly ever drink.

Chocolate is my weakness. Cadburys Whole Nut. Heaven.
    I`m with you - though Fruit and Nut trumps Whole Nut surely?
    Roger said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Ah, going for the "it was a secret cover up for Salmond and also a deliberate hit job against Salmond." line there I see.
    Which side are most of the Nats on?
    If you are for truth and justice then it has to be Salmond. Trying to get a man jailed for life to stop him coming back into politics is not very pleasant, whoever was involved in it. Hopefully we will find out who perpetrators were eventually despite establishment trying to hide it.
    The real tell is that unionist parties and unionist press have hardly said a peep about it, they can wait for maximum impact.
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Yes, I had you down as exactly that. In which case you should be just a few pounds lighter. Nothing to worry about though.
  • So true.

Was it a coup, was it not a coup?
    Did the president support it, did he not support it?
    Is Trump a fascist, is he not a fascist?
    etc

https://twitter.com/DDDrewDaniel/status/1347578923618619392?s=20
    HYUFD said:

Salmond's aim is to provide enough evidence to the inquiry to damage Sturgeon so she fails to win a majority at Holyrood, then, after she is fatally wounded, he will make his move and topple her.

This is phase 1 in Salmond's revenge
    Utter rubbish , he wants her out before May so that someone will really push for Independence, telling Bozo to stick his S30 where the sun does not shine. He wants independence more than he wants his own reparation.
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

On dry January:

Half a stone in 8 days?!

Yes, I had you down as exactly that. In which case you should be just a few pounds lighter. Nothing to worry about though.
    Ha, no I looked up UK average height and wondered if that's what you had in mind, but I am 6ft, so you'll have to revise your advice
This discussion has been closed.