Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020: Key state turnout as percentage of votes cast – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

What is happening re housing market?

Are house moves being stopped?

Including actual physical move of furniture?

How’s Mr Pioneers going to manage?
    It’s going to cause me some fairly significant headaches as well given the new extension isn’t finished yet. It should be finished this week (it’s outdoor work and anyway, I’m not in during the day) but it’s going to be a right bugger getting the furniture in if I can’t use a removal firm.
    Obviously don't know the rules, but given 'travel for work' will apparently be allowed, I don't see why removals would be stopped....
    Mixing inside private houses will not be.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404
    UK hospitals

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I suspect the delay is because they're agonising over exactly how to sell it without it seeming like a victory for Starmer. I don't imagine the delay is anything to do with reflecting on what's best for the national interest.

Wonder if it's a resignation standoff, actually.

Unlikely. From the clip of Steve Baker they just played on Sky even he seemed to understand that a lockdown had become necessary so no chance a Cabinet Minister will kill their career by appearing irresponsible over this.
    The first senior minister to go over this will likely be next PM.

My feeling is Boris might survive until the spring, but only, like Mrs May, to make sure he absorbs all the flack that is coming his way. Politically, IMO his career is over.
    Hope springs eternal. I suspect he has a bit more damage up his sleeve yet. Would be good to get rid before he forces a cold, hard Brexit on us on top of all of this.
    Boris will be in place on the 1st January 2021 but not sure how far into 2021 he will last
    Hanging around to deliver one further insult to the UK.
    To you yes but the country did vote to leave the EU
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Bozo is completely shit at doing the hard graft of politics.

He’d have learned more from eight years as a Borough councillor than being dropped straight into London mayor and evading any scrutiny thereafter.
    TMay and John Major both had stints as Councillor on their CV; are there any other PMs?

And although neither ended as a raging success, in terms of keeping on keeping on through horrible circumstances that weren't really their fault, they both had a certain something.

It's the risk with Rishi, he's been in politics for about 30 minutes and we've not seen what he's like when his back is really against the wall. (Dishing out cash in a crisis is traumatic, but in a different way).
    Attlee was mayor of Stepney.
    Ta. Similar mould really- the grownup in the room, which was their burden and strength.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404
    edited October 2020
    UK Deaths

• Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,597
    edited October 2020
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

I suspect the delay is because they're agonising over exactly how to sell it without it seeming like a victory for Starmer. I don't imagine the delay is anything to do with reflecting on what's best for the national interest.

Unlikely. From the clip of Steve Baker they just played on Sky even he seemed to understand that a lockdown had become necessary so no chance a Cabinet Minister will kill their career by appearing irresponsible over this.
    What about the guy who called Sir Keir Starmer 'Captain Hindsight' a few weeks ago?
    What was Starmer actually calling for? Did he want schools to be shut?
    For half term
    My understanding was he wanted a two-week half term break. Which would have made an enormous amount of sense on a very large number of levels.
    Yes, so Boris didn’t do it. Pillock.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Our leaders should admit they’re totally lost

Britain isn’t suffering from lockdown fatigue, it has just lost faith in the cocksure claims of politicians and scientists

Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/our-leaders-should-admit-theyre-totally-lost-gtpjzkr9p

Nothing will happen until somebody new springs up to challenge the tories and labour.

The only candidate right now is Farage and he has his head so far up Trump's backside he has no conception of what is going on
    https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1314236764857524231?s=20
    They seem quite on the ball with marketing, hopefully once Farage has descended, as you say, he will stand up for the decent sized minority who aren't in favour of lockdowns.

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1322221435306332160?s=20
    I suspect we'll see a Tory MP defect to TBP soon enough - a maverick malcontent in the Reckless, Carswell mould. Many have always adored Nigel and Boris just didn't cut it as a Farage clone in the end.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Presumably this will put a stop to all the

Masterful! Just watched BBC1

The Channels have cleared their schedules since 16.00.

They have to fill the air with something.

Who can they get?

Government critics, that's who....

Lol.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    56% of Tory members want Trump to win the US presidential election, 22.5% want Biden to win according to a new ConHome survey

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/10/our-survey-more-than-half-of-tory-members-want-trump-to-win-next-week.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

56% of Tory members want Trump to win the US presidential election, 22.5% want Biden to win according to a new ConHome survey

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/10/our-survey-more-than-half-of-tory-members-want-trump-to-win-next-week.html

In touch with the country then.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited October 2020
    US Election: PA

Interesting that it is 2 GOP counties that have had problems getting mail-in ballots to voters in time, and that it is mostly GOP counties that are delaying the count of mail-in ballots until Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Philly has received back 325,000 of the 400,000 mail-in ballots it sent out, none have been challenged, and they will start counting them at 07:00am on Election Day. Looks like we'll have a very significant Dem lead in the vote early on, and then the question is 'will Trump be able to claw it back?'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/politics/deadline-philadelphia-pennsylvania-mail-in-challenge/index.html
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

BTW does everyone on PB agree that Starmer was right and displayed characteristic foresight in calling for the policy the government is now following, albeit too late?

Lol - you've been on here long enough to know better!
    And Boris is not following Starmer's 14 day circuit breaker, this is for a full 28 days not advocated by him
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

It’s going to cause me some fairly significant headaches as well given the new extension isn’t finished yet. It should be finished this week (it’s outdoor work and anyway, I’m not in during the day) but it’s going to be a right bugger getting the furniture in if I can’t use a removal firm.
    Obviously don't know the rules, but given 'travel for work' will apparently be allowed, I don't see why removals would be stopped....
    Do you mix with your removal firm? I don't. I think there were exemptions for professionals on house calls in the spring, weren't there?
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    Boris Johnson: a farce wrapped in a mockery inside a sham. Get him out.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

BTW does everyone on PB agree that Starmer was right and displayed characteristic foresight in calling for the policy the government is now following, albeit too late?

And Boris is not following Starmer's 14 day circuit breaker, this is for a full 28 days not advocated by him
    If he had listened to Starmer it wouldn't have now needed a 28 day circuit breaker.

As usual, Boris Johnson has left it far too late.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Pah. Still awaiting the completion of the new Home Report from our vendors...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

In touch with the country then.
    This member does not under any circumstances
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    As an aside - David Herdson's statement on 17th Oct that:
    " [Starmer's call for a brief Lockdown II does show him distancing himself from the government and as far as that goes, it’s true (although it’s also the wrong call both because case numbers are levelling off and because it’s delusional to think that it will have any meaningful impact in just a fortnight). "

Is an uncharacteristically poor misjudgement. Since then daily cases are up 40-50%....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    MaxPB said:

They've already fucked with Little Mix the Search, so if they delay Strictly too they are completely dead to me.
    No, they're both wrong.
    Mortimer said:

They've already fucked with Little Mix the Search, so if they delay Strictly too they are completely dead to me.
    Nope - both Starmer and the govt are wrong.
    Nige is your only hope!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Do you mix with your removal firm? I don't. I think there were exemptions for professionals on house calls in the spring, weren't there?
    Moving house was explicitly allowed in the spring. They can't force people into homelessness.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

What about the guy who called Sir Keir Starmer 'Captain Hindsight' a few weeks ago?
    Similar to what we have in Wales.

I am sure what Boris has in mind is a regional 4 tier system, not a national lockdown. This will be regionally focused and much better. It will not be a national lockdown but a targeted, focused regional lockdown where all the region's have been focused into tier 4.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

rkrkrk said:

If he had listened to Starmer it wouldn't have now needed a 28 day circuit breaker.

Quite. What is unforgivable is that he failed to learn from the experience in the Spring.

We knew how this story plays out, but at the key moment Boris hesitated.
  • Options

Masterful! Just watched BBC1

The Channels have cleared their schedules since 16.00.

They have to fill the air with something.

Who can they get?

Government critics, that's who....

Poetic (or rather political) justice
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

That is upto his mps and I expect many are thinking very seriously about it
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

rkrkrk said:

Wales offers us a glimpse of an alternative history.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

Similar to what we have in Wales.

I am sure what Boris has in mind is a regional 4 tier system, not a national lockdown. This will be regionally focused and much better. It will not be a national lockdown but a targeted, focused regional lockdown where all the region's have been focused into tier 4.
    I look forward to him announcing on December 2nd that some areas are allowed out for Christmas and some aren't...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Bozo is completely shit at doing the hard graft of politics.

He’d have learned more from eight years as a Borough councillor than being dropped straight into London mayor and evading any scrutiny thereafter.
    TMay and John Major both had stints as Councillor on their CV; are there any other PMs?

And although neither ended as a raging success, in terms of keeping on keeping on through horrible circumstances that weren't really their fault, they both had a certain something.

It's the risk with Rishi, he's been in politics for about 30 minutes and we've not seen what he's like when his back is really against the wall. (Dishing out cash in a crisis is traumatic, but in a different way).
    Attlee was mayor of Stepney.
    Ta. Similar mould really- the grownup in the room, which was their burden and strength.
    Neville Chamberlain too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    TimT said:

US Election: PA

Interesting that it is 2 GOP counties that have had problems getting mail-in ballots to voters in time, and that it is mostly GOP counties that are delaying the count of mail-in ballots until Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Philly has received back 325,000 of the 400,000 mail-in ballots it sent out, none have been challenged, and they will start counting them at 07:00am on Election Day. Looks like we'll have a very significant Dem lead in the vote early on, and then the question is 'will Trump be able to claw it back?'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/politics/deadline-philadelphia-pennsylvania-mail-in-challenge/index.html

The Democrat operation on mail in ballots seems impressive and organised (Maybe self organised ?) compared to republicans ballots around the great lakes and PA.
  • Options

He seems to have correctly predicted what clueless politicans in their little bubble would do, that's for sure
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Our carpet fitters were told they could not enter our house to fit a new carpet during Wales fire breaker
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    A tragic advert on Sky, during the rugby half time, for all your lovely local businesses: restaurants, pubs, quirky shops.

And all about to close down for many weeks, perhaps forever
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2020

rkrkrk said:

Yes we would. But now we will probably end up with 2 months.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Were I a minister, I think I would find it impossible to defend this.
    How would I look Cyclefree's daughter in the eye? People like her do the right thing and get crapped on.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

I'm rather enjoying Watch Dogs: Legion.

Just started watching the first season of Legion. Not one for the wife - the plot is too complex and non-linear for someone who sleeps through at least 50% of each show. But I am enjoying it.

Ah! Googled Watch Dogs: Legion. See the two are totally unrelated.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

That is very far from certain
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I think the BBC are slightly overdoing it...

The year Marcus Rashford 'changed the country'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/54754642
  • Options
    I have received many kind messages in the last few days and I have decided to return. I will be posting in a reduced manner for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Our carpet fitters were told they could not enter our house to fit a new carpet during Wales fire breaker
    Wales couldn't have designed a more anti-business policy if they tried, could they.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rkrkrk said:

I think that both Starmer and the government are wrong.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Wonder how many letters are lodged with the 1922 Committee?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    alex_ said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Moving house was explicitly allowed in the spring. They can't force people into homelessness.
    So RP would be OK. But what about moving items within a house, which is what I would need? I could move some of it myself, but not all of it.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Our leaders should admit they’re totally lost

Britain isn’t suffering from lockdown fatigue, it has just lost faith in the cocksure claims of politicians and scientists

Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/our-leaders-should-admit-theyre-totally-lost-gtpjzkr9p

Nothing will happen until somebody new springs up to challenge the tories and labour.

The only candidate right now is Farage and he has his head so far up Trump's backside he has no conception of what is going on
    https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1314236764857524231?s=20
    They seem quite on the ball with marketing, hopefully once Farage has descended, as you say, he will stand up for the decent sized minority who aren't in favour of lockdowns.

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1322221435306332160?s=20
    I suspect we'll see a Tory MP defect to TBP soon enough - a maverick malcontent in the Reckless, Carswell mould. Many have always adored Nigel and Boris just didn't cut it as a Farage clone in the end.
    Steve Baker hopefully
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    1) Keep a solid base at all times
    2) respect the teep - I remember the very first time I delivered one and my partner staggered backwards heavily. I said "Are you taking the piss?" Then he delivered one and I staggered back just as much.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    HYUFD said:

Good job its not them voting for him then :)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    RIP James Bond
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    MaxPB said:

LadyG said:

I take this guy's point - he's quite cogent - however if lockdowns are so utterly useless and damaging, why are they being enforced by: Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Australia, Czechia, Iran, and previously in China, Singapore, etc?
    Lockdowns are useful in buying time to organise. We have proven we can't or won't do that so there's no point. Asian countries used them to buy time, we're using the to stop infections.
    Unless the aim is to stop the NHS being overwhelmed, and 1,000s more dying, lockdowns will raise total deaths.

F*** knows why most countries reversed the past 100 years of public health policy. This policy was to a) allow the healthy to live normal lives and b) isolate the sick.

People like me are just asking for a reversion to this approach. Similarly those who signed the Great Barrington Declaration.
  • Options
    I don't see how Johnson can announce a month long shut-down without a new package for businesses to go with it. But presumably there isn't one. And now being countrywide it will be on an order of magnitude in expense terms than the previous one in place.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    HYUFD said:

Shows how different the members are to Conservative voters.

Of course, the same is true of our side.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:

1) Keep a solid base at all times
    2) respect the teep - I remember the very first time I delivered one and my partner staggered backwards heavily. I said "Are you taking the piss?" Then he delivered one and I staggered back just as much.
    This guy (Scott Adkins) is in a lot of movies, but is legit martial artist....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ulnfy76VHg
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    edited October 2020

rkrkrk said:

This is total bollocks. There is no clear evidence anywhere in the world that two week circuit breakers work. Indeed, all the evidence points the other way. Lots of countries try a two week lockdown, and then it gets extended, and extended.

Here, see Israel: they had a supposed short sharp two week lockdown. It got massively extended. It did not work

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-marks-two-weeks-of-lockdown-with-record-cases-and-a-covid-czar-on-his-way-out-1.9201517
  • Options
    I have to say, I thought by now the economic consequences would be starting to felt beyond those who have had their line of work ended by the restrictions. But I was wrong. Perhaps the government should just print a load more money and put us in lockdown until the new year.
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

Wonder how many letters are lodged with the 1922 Committee?
    39 ?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Wales couldn't have designed a more anti-business policy if they tried, could they.

Agreed
  • Options
    Cummings the culprit? Has a ring to it
  • Options
    So Boris is announcing a lockdown on a day when new infections are lower than they were a week ago and when the positive tests ratio has fallen to 6%.

Well at least its a different approach to what other European countries have done - I doubt he realises that though.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Agreed
    I disagree, its very pro business, if you only consider Amazon....Jeff should be sending Drakeford a big Christmas present.
  • Options

I have received many kind messages in the last few days and I have decided to return. I will be posting in a reduced manner for the foreseeable future.

Welcome back
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I don't see how Johnson can announce a month long shut-down without a new package for businesses to go with it. But presumably there isn't one. And now being countrywide it will be on an order of magnitude in expense terms than the previous one in place.

To be honest a similar temporary package should follow for the 28 days
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

I think that both Starmer and the government are wrong.
    Some MP's will try and vote it down, but 95% of them belong to parties who wont consider any option bar lockdown
  • Options

So Boris is announcing a lockdown on a day when new infections are lower than they were a week ago and when the positive tests ratio has fallen to 6%.

Well at least its a different approach to what other European countries have done - I doubt he realises that though.

If the concern is that the headline figures are disguising more concerning trends, then they need to say so.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I have to say, I thought by now the economic consequences would be starting to felt beyond those who have had their line of work ended by the restrictions. But I was wrong. Perhaps the government should just print a load more money and put us in lockdown until the new year.

Well tomorrow's when the economic pain starts with the end of the furlough scheme.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If the concern is that the headline figures are disguising more concerning trends, then they need to say so.
    Why continue to both publishing headline figures if it's all so misleading.
  • Options
    Just a taster of what will happen if Trump loses sadly.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    11.30pm tonight GMT should see the release of Ann Selzer’s final poll of the presidential race in Iowa. She has a very good track record for polling her state. If it shows Biden ahead, Trump is done.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Well tomorrow's when the economic pain starts with the end of the furlough scheme.
    Curious how little attention that has received in the media. I guess that will be the next big argument.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    MikeL said:

People can’t sell out of London quick enough.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    There is a lot to dislike about Steve Baker.

In a week though where the arch-stupid has been self-impaled though I'll give him whatever space he needs.
  • Options

Baker's onboard.

//twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1322594804480565249
    //twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1322595218298933252

Bloody God Botherer
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

So, there are 20 vehicles in a Trump convoy. What am I missing? What is the big issue?
  • Options

Don't get upset by anything you think unkind.

People sometimes lose their temper or write things which read differently to what they thought.

But that's part of PB - if we have to behave as at a vicarage tea party the discussions will lose much of their value.

Its good to have you back.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Am I right in thinking that support bubbles will go? Being able to see my girlfriend is the only thing that has been keeping me sane. :s
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I have to say the government cynically using the "protect the NHS" line to cover up its own failures in setting up a proper testing system and being able to track down contacts rapidly is something that needs serious media attention. They are using the NHS as a protective shield for their own incompetence and cronyism and people are cheering them on as they do it.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Mal557 said:

So, there are 20 vehicles in a Trump convoy. What am I missing? What is the big issue?
    Read the rest of the tweet thread. They were armed and waiting to ambush the Biden/Harris campaign bus and tried to drive it off the road. The bus tour had to be cancelled.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Mal557 said:

OK, You need to click through to the twitter thread. Intimidation. Plain and simple
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

When he loses
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Curious how little attention that has received in the media. I guess that will be the next big argument.
    Not sure. I think we could face a week of arguments over whether this is a new lockdown, a circuit breaker, tier 4, national measures, etc. Seems to be the sort of argument the media like to have.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Great craic from Sleepy Joe
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Whatever role Bozo is playing in all this, leader it ain't.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    alex_ said:

The furlough scheme ends today. Does it start again tomorrow?

I am not sure. The sums involved are staggering. I am a director of a company with just over 100 staff. The company, and associated bodies, have received nearly £500k in furlough payments. Our average wages are pretty high but jeez, the country simply can’t keep that up.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Mal557 said:

I think Biden is indeed ahead, BUT I think that several million postals will be disallowed, voter suppression in key areas will be significant and Trump may well claim an unlikely and illegal victory and try to hang on.

That would be a total nightmare scenario for punters, and for the USA and it is a non-trivial chance.

It is also one reason why I have a bet on that Donald Trump faces both indictment and incarceration upon his removal from office,
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256
    TimT said:

Mal557 said:

Read the thread. They were waiting for a Biden campaign bus, attempted to force it off the road, managed to stop the rest of the day's campaigning. Police wouldn't intervene to stop them.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    MaxPB said:

I have to say the government cynically using the "protect the NHS" line to cover up its own failures in setting up a proper testing system and being able to track down contacts rapidly is something that needs serious media attention. They are using the NHS as a protective shield for their own incompetence and cronyism and people are cheering them on as they do it.

It just seems so out of character for Boris Johnson
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

"no choice" on national extreme lockdown says rent-a-zero-covid-zealot from Scotland.

Of course there's a choice. That's what the Cabinet are supposed to decide.

If the government had followed the advice of Prof Devi Sridhar in the summer we would not be in this mess.
    For the nutjobs the fact that she is from Scotland means she must be ignored as crazy and stupid
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966

Scott_xP said:
    A U-turn, U -turn.

Perhaps we will have tier 6.5 instead of tier 4.0?
    Let's follow the lead of the Goombay Dance Band - and have Seven Tiers......
    Hopefully not Sting
    "There is a Seventh Wave..."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

They would have to back that up with more than blather.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    National - Angus Reid Institute - Rated B+ - 2231 LV - 23/28 Oct

Biden 53 .. Trump 48

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020.10.29_USVote-2020.pdf

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

Shows how different the members are to Conservative voters.

Of course, the same is true of our side.
    True though in 2016 they preferred Hillary by 46% to 17% for Trump so I suspect Biden's response to the internal markets bill and Trump's approach to Brexit has swung them to him this time, I was one of the minority who voted for Biden in this instance (but I still think Trump can win the EC)

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/12/under-half-of-tory-members-are-pleased-at-trumps-win.html
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Am I right in thinking that support bubbles will go? Being able to see my girlfriend is the only thing that has been keeping me sane. :s

I can get behind mask wearing and two metre distancing and even the pubs closing. But I'm genuinely struggling to understand why anyone would obey diktats like these during lockdown 2.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I don't think a debate in the HoC is important. It will be the usual teejus political point-scoring.

Almost all the MPs are not numerate enough to understand any modelling, except that done with Playdough.

What I do think is really important is that all the data and all the modelling codes that are being used to make the forward predictions are placed in their entirety in the public domain. Has/will that be done?

That way, the codes & analysis can be pulled apart and put together again by other scientists. And we will be able to get confidence in whether their results are trustworthy enough.
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

National - Angus Reid Institute - Rated B+ - 2231 LV - 23/28 Oct

Biden 53 .. Trump 48

http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020.10.29_USVote-2020.pdf

Typo, Jack. It's 53/45.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Mal557 said:

I think Biden is indeed ahead, BUT I think that several million postals will be disallowed, voter suppression in key areas will be significant and Trump may well claim an unlikely and illegal victory and try to hang on.

That would be a total nightmare scenario for punters, and for the USA and it is a non-trivial chance.

It is also one reason why I have a bet on that Donald Trump faces both indictment and incarceration upon his removal from office,
    You can see how this is going to pan out, Trump will be at the WH election night and on day voting will quite possibly show him ahead in enough swing states to 'declare' victory. For most of his devoted , that is enough and any votes that come in after, regardless of their legailty, will be fraudulent in Trump and their eyes.

My hope is that Biden wins in FL as if he does it will be that much harder for Trump to try to dispute the result. Sadly my feeling is he will win FL just and this will drag on for days and weeks. It really has all the signs of being a nightmare indeed
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

rkrkrk said:

Foresight hindsight sminesight both sides have been trying to blame the other and play political games with this.

I hold no candle for Boris but the Government has to balance difficult economic and social considerations with scientific advice.

They've been trying to contain the virus using the most limited and targeted approach possible and I believe the tiers were and are rational.

If there was a failing it was allowing the gaping hole on foreign travel - the equivalent of leakage from hospitals into care homes in March and April.
This discussion has been closed.