Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020 betting: The best odds on Biden are the in the national markets – Trump punters should go for

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,338
    Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

not 100% sure about the hash brown situation. Full English?! Hmm.

hash brown is just the Sunday name for fried potato, which definitely belongs in a fry up
    I can live with that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Im confused by this, as far as I am aware most if not all hospitals have their own test centres, so why not just test their own staff?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Edit: not 100% sure about the hash brown situation. Full English?! Hmm.
    And can't say I've seen black pudding in a fried breakfast outside Ireland.
    Pretty much de rigeur in Scotland.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2020

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Essential component of a Non-Edinburgh Scottish full breakfast.

Edinburgh put on haggis instead. Terrible option. Haggis is delicious but should not be on a breakfast plate.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Perfect.....the "quiet man" has opened his trap......

https://twitter.com/elliotttimes/status/1306549906719608836?s=20

One has to feel for Joe Biden here. He's already in the fight of his life to eject Donald Trump from the White House in the most divisive and potentially explosive US presidential election there has ever been and now he has Iain Duncan Smith on his back.
    Mega lolz
    Even I laughed at that one but there's a serious point: Biden is likely to be working with this Government in less than 4 months and his tweet wasn't very diplomatic.

He's not being particularly well advised on how thorny the B-word is over here.
    Yes the likely leader of the world's most powerful country really needs to watch his mouth. He's already upset IDS, if he's not careful Mark Francois might hear about it and then shit will get real.
    I wouldn't expect a tedious old Lefty fart, like you, to understand but his intervention has already agitated support on the Tory backbenches and IDS was until recently a minister - this will have an impact.

He might calculate this does little damage to him with his Democrat activist base, who might applaud it, but he will still need to have a constructive working relationship with the UK Government of the day.
    If British sensitivities didn't bother the US at the height of the Cold War, why should they now?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Terrible idea. It's this that keeps them anchored and knowledgeable about the real world.

They otherwise just fill their time writing pointless EDMs and doing social work.
    Agreed 100%

The amount of people who will both moan that MPs are all "out of touch" and then complain about them having second jobs.

There's no reason backbench MPs shouldn't have second jobs, in fact it should really be encouraged. Ministers are afterall all a second job on top of being MPs so why shouldn't backbenchers have one too that keeps them in touch in the real world?
    Who'd be an MP?

Crap money, long hours and everyone constantly harassing you and thinking you're a money-grubbing self-interested arse - not to mention your private life all public and raked over requiring you to have lived the life of a saint. One slip up and your whole reputation in tatters.

No thanks.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:
    Terrible idea. It's this that keeps them anchored and knowledgeable about the real world.

They otherwise just fill their time writing pointless EDMs and doing social work.
    There's second jobs and there's second jobs.
    A good question to ask is would the person have the job/work if they weren't in parliament ?
    Cox's legal work passes that test, I'm not sure Grayling's contract does.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

One has to feel for Joe Biden here. He's already in the fight of his life to eject Donald Trump from the White House in the most divisive and potentially explosive US presidential election there has ever been and now he has Iain Duncan Smith on his back.
    Mega lolz
    Even I laughed at that one but there's a serious point: Biden is likely to be working with this Government in less than 4 months and his tweet wasn't very diplomatic.

Will he rue the day he tweeted that tweet? He'll either allow or deny us the odd crumb from his table, and concentrate on frying bigger fish.
    It's amazing how those that talk down Britain don't win over more Britons to their side.
    I just don't think it is my patriotic duty to entertain sectionable delusions of grandeur on behalf of my country. But carry on if it floats your boat.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,338
    Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Edinburgh put on haggis instead. Terrible option. Haggis is delicious but should not be on a breakfast plate.
    I know we talk a lot about IndyRef2 but I would like to confirm that black pudding is welcome (and, in my experience, prevalent) in England also.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,457
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

Mega lolz

Yes the likely leader of the world's most powerful country really needs to watch his mouth. He's already upset IDS, if he's not careful Mark Francois might hear about it and then shit will get real.
    I wouldn't expect a tedious old Lefty fart, like you, to understand but his intervention has already agitated support on the Tory backbenches and IDS was until recently a minister - this will have an impact.

He might calculate this does little damage to him with his Democrat activist base, who might applaud it, but he will still need to have a constructive working relationship with the UK Government of the day.
    Realistically, it's the UK Government of the day that will most need to have a constructive working relationship with the US government/president, particularly if it wants a US-UK FTA. We an posture all we like, but Biden can say/do what he wants (so can Trump, more is the pity).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Mega lolz

Realistically, it's the UK Government of the day that will most need to have a constructive working relationship with the US government/president, particularly if it wants a US-UK FTA. We an posture all we like, but Biden can say/do what he wants (so can Trump, more is the pity).
    Better for UK politicians not to get involved, honestly. It's not any of our business.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Grayling anchored and knowledgeable about the real world? Hahahahahaha. You think he got this job on merit? Hahahahahaha.
    I'm as vociferous a critic of Grayling as the next man.

That doesn't invalidate my point.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Isn't that white pudding?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,691

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

The amount of people who will both moan that MPs are all "out of touch" and then complain about them having second jobs.

There's no reason backbench MPs shouldn't have second jobs, in fact it should really be encouraged. Ministers are afterall all a second job on top of being MPs so why shouldn't backbenchers have one too that keeps them in touch in the real world?
    Who'd be an MP?

Crap money, long hours and everyone constantly harassing you and thinking you're a money-grubbing self-interested arse - not to mention your private life all public and raked over requiring you to have lived the life of a saint. One slip up and your whole reputation in tatters...
    Sounds just like posting on PB.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,039
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

Mega lolz

IDS is a former Tory leader and a supporter of Boris, his intervention will not have gone unnoticed in both the Biden and Trump campaigns.

As I said above a Biden Presidency would put Boris last in terms of G7 leaders on Biden's speed dial (unless Salvini becomes Italian PM in which case he might be promoted to second last)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

It's absolutely key in Lancashire. There's also the white pudding issue to consider,,though that is more Scottish.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Mega lolz

Will he rue the day he tweeted that tweet? He'll either allow or deny us the odd crumb from his table, and concentrate on frying bigger fish.
    It's amazing how those that talk down Britain don't win over more Britons to their side.
    I just don't think it is my patriotic duty to entertain sectionable delusions of grandeur on behalf of my country. But carry on if it floats your boat.
    This is about diplomacy, which costs nothing but carries great cost.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

Who'd be an MP?

Crap money, long hours and everyone constantly harassing you and thinking you're a money-grubbing self-interested arse - not to mention your private life all public and raked over requiring you to have lived the life of a saint. One slip up and your whole reputation in tatters...
    But here we can nuke our post history. Can't do that in Hansard (yet, anyway).
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Irish breakfasts have white pudding.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Mega lolz

It works both ways. The UK is a key military and intelligence ally of the US and works with it in NATO, the G7, UN and elsewhere.

The biggest thing we could do to reduce our influence with them is to slash our military budget. And we might just do that.

Again.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Fair enough. I'm sure I've had fried breakfasts in Scotland but was probably just too hungover to notice much about them.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

It's absolutely key in Lancashire. There's also the white pudding issue to consider,,though that is more Scottish.
    I've never heard of white pudding before I must admit, don't know what that is.

On the small print underneath it says 'grilled mushroons'. I always fry my mushrooms. Isn't it meant to be a fry up?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

There's second jobs and there's second jobs.
    A good question to ask is would the person have the job/work if they weren't in parliament ?
    Cox's legal work passes that test, I'm not sure Grayling's contract does.
    Yes, that's a fair point.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,618
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Where's the fried bread? Breakfast of champions, though not slimming champions.
    One of those things, like black pudding, that is often pretty terrible, but if you get a good one it really is the food of kings.

(Fried bread is also in the survey, and backed by 47%, so a number agree with you - small print under the picture)
    Black pudding is best eaten in the presence of out of touch urban snowflakes or children, with a detailed explanation, preferably if they personally knew the porker.

Far more satisfying that way.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,048
    Alistair said:

you can get haggis and blackpudding, if you know where to look...

The big question though is where can you get dumpling?
  • Options
    My my, he's got much better at answering the question.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    edited September 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

I've experienced black pudding in Lancashire but it was served in cheeseburgers.
  • Options

My my, he's got much better at answering the question.
    Refreshing when a politician gives a straight answer, isn't it?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Very rare in a breakfast, more a chip supper thing. Don't think it slices very well, but encased in an oily, glistening sheath of batter... #glasgowfoodporn
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Grayling anchored and knowledgeable about the real world? Hahahahahaha. You think he got this job on merit? Hahahahahaha.

I think it does, though. There should be a code of conduct distinguishing real jobs from gravy-train appointments like this which amount to privately profiting from having been a minister. Not difficult: you just have to ask which came first.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Do you know what time her appearance is? I'm interested enough to watch it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Isn't that part of the bill moot with an FTA anyway? If there's an FTA they won't need to use it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,048
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/elashton/status/1306514843474841601
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Mega lolz

Remember the anecdote about Biden's meeting with Cameron, where Cameron's team eagerly prepared to talk about all the issues that were important to them, and Biden completely ignored them? That's what it will be like working with him.
    Yep, of the G7 leaders Biden would put Macron, Merkel, Trudeau, Conte and Suga first and will then firmly place Boris 'at the back of the queue' and effectively wait for a PM Starmer in 2024, until then the UK would be on the 'naughty step' as far as the White House is concerned
    That is Boris's own fault.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/elashton/status/1306514843474841601
    Thanks, Scott.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

That would be a good point if MPs were doing second jobs that were "in touch". If they want to do 5 hours a week teaching at a local college, working at a youth centre, a law centre or CAB, or even working in a bar/shop/cafe, then they'd learn an awful lot about their local communities.

But apart from the odd professional, what they tend to do is consult with firms who want to influence MPs, or sit on boards, where they're almost as far from understanding every day life for the majority as they are in Parliament.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Full English Breakfast is one of the reasons why British cuisine is world famous - but NOT in a good way.

The way that savvy B&B owners present it as an option to American tourists is a tip-off:

"Would you be wanting to full English? Or would you rather have something to eat?"
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    nichomar said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

I was under the impression that a Scottish breakfast involves kippers, Lorne sausage and white pudding.

My understanding was that a Welsh breakfast featured cockles and fried laverbread.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Is that a misspelling? Was under impression she's really "Dodo".
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Very rare in a breakfast, more a chip supper thing. Don't think it slices very well, but encased in an oily, glistening sheath of batter... #glasgowfoodporn
    On your hashtag there I can confidently say that's one internet search I've never had the courage to make.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Isn't that part of the bill moot with an FTA anyway? If there's an FTA they won't need to use it.
    It depends on the contents of the FTA surely?

Even with an FTA there is need for customs on rules of origin etc.

• Options
    nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

That would be a good point if MPs were doing second jobs that were "in touch". If they want to do 5 hours a week teaching at a local college, working at a youth centre, a law centre or CAB, or even working in a bar/shop/cafe, then they'd learn an awful lot about their local communities.

But apart from the odd professional, what they tend to do is consult with firms who want to influence MPs, or sit on boards, where they're almost as far from understanding every day life for the majority as they are in Parliament.
    But many MPs do that. There are MPs who work as a doctor or other stuff that they did beforehand part time.

There are also MPs who are grifters.

Like anything in life there's good and bad. Its up to the public to decide, let them vote out the bad and keep the good . . . there's no point banning second jobs to target the grifters but also catching the good MPs with reasonable 'second jobs', throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Besides the grifters will always find another way to grift if that's what they want to do. At least with our system as it is they need to publicly declare their income and its not sly backhanders that are kept off the books.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

I was under the impression that a Scottish breakfast involves kippers, Lorne sausage and white pudding.

My understanding was that a Welsh breakfast featured cockles and fried laverbread.
    Does a Birmingham breakfast involve a kipper tie?
  • Options
    Biden is up 4pts in NC with Suffolk Uni (A grade pollster on 538)

B 47
    T 43
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

But if an FTA has been agreed we'd have resolved those issues with them. The Bill is only relevant if there's no FTA.
  • Options

B 47
    T 43

Biden landslide on numbers like that. 👌
  • Options

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

But if an FTA has been agreed we'd have resolved those issues with them. The Bill is only relevant if there's no FTA.
    Yeah, the UK government would have had to sign off on whatever is in the FTA. Seems like quite a strange threat.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    LOL (b) is absolutely meaningless! :grin:

"In the event we agree a deal we won't implement it until you ratify the deal and remove your no deal powers" - file under no s**t Sherlock.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    That'd actually have achieved its objective because the full trade deal - if signed by both sides - would supersede the needs for the caveats in the WA as it would spell out precisely how it would work. And if neither the UK or the EU were happy with it they wouldn't sign it.

It allows both sides to save face.

Clever.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Precisely.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

I think it does, though. There should be a code of conduct distinguishing real jobs from gravy-train appointments like this which amount to privately profiting from having been a minister. Not difficult: you just have to ask which came first.
    It doesn't because my point was about MPs having second jobs in principle, which I see no issue with.

@Pulpstar put the caveat to that far better than you. And I agree with him on that.
  • Options
    PB POP QUIZ

“I found it to be an amazing spectacle of [BLANK]’s reality distortion field on full power — his refusal to answer the substance of serious questions, his complete bonkers grasp of reality and facts and his comfort in offering non-sensical explanations for very serious topics”

WHO is BLANK?

a) Boris Johnson

b) Donald Trump

c) Mike Smithson
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That'd actually have achieved its objective because the full trade deal - if signed by both sides - would supersede the needs for the caveats in the WA as it would spell out precisely how it would work. And if neither the UK or the EU were happy with it they wouldn't sign it.

Clever.
    Not really. It could be an incredibly bare bones "trade deal" covering only certain areas, and even then would require the WA to be implemented in full including the customs checks in the Irish Sea.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

Who'd be an MP?

Lol. PB is far more forgiving of us all!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I don't understand this. When you book a test on the website you get emailed a QR code. Is this simply a "turn up for a test" site? Are they new?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    If they haven't got the QR code they haven't got the appointment what are they doing going to the centre?

Lot of people turning up uninvited and without an appointment certainly may cause traffic but I fail to see the issue.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

But many MPs do that. There are MPs who work as a doctor or other stuff that they did beforehand part time.

Like anything in life there's good and bad. Its up to the public to decide, let them vote out the bad and keep the good . . . there's no point banning second jobs to target the grifters but also catching the good MPs with reasonable 'second jobs', throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Besides the grifters will always find another way to grift if that's what they want to do. At least with our system as it is they need to publicly declare their income and its not sly backhanders that are kept off the books.
    Sure there are a few doctors - I said "apart from the off professional", but they're very much the minority.

You could easily ban consultancy work and even directorships, as both are often just bought influence. If MPs then wanted another job, they could get one that doesn't rely on their position as an MP.
  • Options
    I understand in the North East "lockdown", the requirement to "not socialise with people outside your own household" is simply advice and won't be the law.

Good luck with compliance with that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yeah, the UK government would have had to sign off on whatever is in the FTA. Seems like quite a strange threat.
    It's a face saver.
  • Options
    nova said:

nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

Sure there are a few doctors - I said "apart from the off professional", but they're very much the minority.

You could easily ban consultancy work and even directorships, as both are often just bought influence. If MPs then wanted another job, they could get one that doesn't rely on their position as an MP.
    What purpose does that serve?

An MP has to declare any payments they receive, put them on their register of interests. Then the voters can decide, if they dislike their MP grifting then they can elect another MP. Problem solved.

Other countries with bans like this you end up with off the books direct corruption which is far, far worse and has no public knowledge or recourse to what is going on.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a face saver.
    For who? The "threat" has only achieved its aim if we get a better deal than we would have otherwise got. Obviously we'll never really know.

Regardless I think the government just wants a deal. It doesn't matter what deal (just like with the WA), they just want to say "look, we got one", economic impact or sustainability be damned.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Clever.
    Not really. It could be an incredibly bare bones "trade deal" covering only certain areas, and even then would require the WA to be implemented in full including the customs checks in the Irish Sea.
    If it's that it won't be signed.

Every knows that intra UK and Irish trade is crucial and you only know how that's going to work once the full FTA is done, and which goods and services may be affected and how.

Which is why the sequencing was always bullshit: this should all have been negotiated in one package at once, which wouldn't have affected the Irish border being one of the key redlines.

Could have saved us all a lot of grief.
  • Options

nova said:

nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

An MP has to declare any payments they receive, put them on their register of interests. Then the voters can decide, if they dislike their MP grifting then they can elect another MP. Problem solved.

Other countries with bans like this you end up with off the books direct corruption which is far, far worse and has no public knowledge or recourse to what is going on.
    Most voters don't even know who their MP is. They simply vote for a party.

Your fantasy about the public kicking out dodgy individual MPs is just that, a fantasy.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a face saver.
    For who? The "threat" has only achieved its aim if we get a better deal than we would have otherwise got. Obviously we'll never really know.

Regardless I think the government just wants a deal. It doesn't matter what deal (just like with the WA), they just want to say "look, we got one", economic impact or sustainability be damned.
    For the EU.

This is a face saving way of them saying they're retaliating against us without actually doing anything. Meanwhile they're looking for a way to compromise to get an FTA to make all this go away.

The Bill has done its job. The EU are blinking.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a face saver.

For the EU.

This is a face saving way of them saying they're retaliating against us without actually doing anything. Meanwhile they're looking for a way to compromise to get an FTA to make all this go away.

Lol. You're so deluded.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Clever.

Every knows that intra UK and Irish trade is crucial and you only know how that's going to work once the full FTA is done, and which goods and services may be affected and how.

Which is why the sequencing was always bullshit: this should all have been negotiated in one package at once, which wouldn't have affected the Irish border being one of the key redlines.

We'll see. Regardless we are where we are with the sequencing. Can't do anything about it now.
  • Options
    On the basis of new information today I surmise Boris wants a deal and the EU really wants a deal and both need to save face and will help each other do it. There's also the compromise on fish being floated as per Katya Adler's tweet the other day.

So I'm back to 40% chance of a deal - the main obstacle now being state aid.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Clever.

We'll see. Regardless we are where we are with the sequencing. Can't do anything about it now.
    Indeed. We are where we are.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a face saver.

For the EU.

Lol. You're so deluded.
    I'm calling it as I see it.

The EU "threatening" to punish us by suspending an agreement we haven't reached yet, once reached, until we withdraw our actions for if there is no agreement . . . is a completely gibberish and meaningless threat. Its a face saving way form them to pretend to be acting tough in response when in reality it is absolutely irrelevant.

If they really wanted to be tough they would have cancelled the talks and walked away until this law was dropped. They're not being, because they know we've called their bluff.
  • Options

On the basis of new information today I surmise Boris wants a deal and the EU really wants a deal and both need to save face and will help each other do it. There's also the compromise on fish being floated as per Katya Adler's tweet the other day.

Of course both sides want a deal. I wasn't aware that was even in dispute.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,806
    edited September 2020
    nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

This is a bit of both (edit: professional/in touch) -

https://www.thenational.scot/news/14901537.mp-philippa-whitford-forced-to-defend-doing-life-saving-nhs-work-over-christmas/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a face saver.

Everyone.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a face saver.

For the EU.

Lol. You're so deluded.
    I'm calling it as I see it.

The EU "threatening" to punish us by suspending an agreement we haven't reached yet, once reached, until we withdraw our actions for if there is no agreement . . . is a completely gibberish and meaningless threat. Its a face saving way form them to pretend to be acting tough in response when in reality it is absolutely irrelevant.

If they really wanted to be tough they would have cancelled the talks and walked away until this law was dropped. They're not being, because they know we've called their bluff.
    Like I said, you're completely and utterly deluded.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    edited September 2020

Scott_xP said:
    If they haven't got the QR code they haven't got the appointment what are they doing going to the centre?

Lot of people turning up uninvited and without an appointment certainly may cause traffic but I fail to see the issue.
    The traffic is due to part of the south circular closed due to a burst water main, nothing to do with covid testing despite the tweet. Just been through it.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/network-latest/se12---burst-main-and-road-closure
  • Options

nova said:

nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

Your fantasy about the public kicking out dodgy individual MPs is just that, a fantasy.
    Not true.

I could justify voting Conservative last December because my MP is Damian Hinds - one of the sane ones.

He abstained on Monday and shared his reasoning with me.

I'm glad I voted for him.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

People are stupid and its the Governments fault, everything is the Governments fault
  • Options

nova said:

nova said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed 100%

Its absolutely not a fantasy. Look how many MPs stood down following the expenses scandal. It doesn't matter if the individual MP is well known by the public or not, if there's an issue to weigh against them in the local media or with the opposition then that can affect the results . . . and just as much it can compel people who have caused a stink to need to stand down before the election so they aren't a drag on their party. I could name a great many MPs who have been removed from Parliament at the following election this way.

That is one big advantage of our voting system meaning that there's only one single MP per constituency. It makes it impossible to hide within a crowd, you can only be an MP if you yourself win that constituency - and if you give a reason for your party to dump you because you've been corrupt and the local paper is running the story then you're out.
  • Options
    Re: lobbying by former members, IIRC in US former members of Congress (and staff) are barred (pun intended) from lobbying for one year. Which IMHO should be more like 5 years.

OF course this does NOT stop influence peddling. BUT it does curb it slightly.

BTW, do members of Parliament still have their very own reserved tube station?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited September 2020

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Unaffiliated 23,525 29.04%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Mail in In person On the day

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

That lot resulted in 2,362,631 Trump / 2,189,316 Clinton / 187,345 Someone else
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The traffic is due to part of the south circular closed due to a burst water main, nothing to do with covid testing despite the tweet. Just been through it.

Can we expect a clarification from the deputy mayor any time soon? No, thought not.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Alistair said:

you can get haggis and blackpudding, if you know where to look...

The big question though is where can you get dumpling?
    Absolutely agreed. My late mother's clootie dumpling is much missed (ideally boiled in a cloth hence the name). Hot with custard the first day, sliced and fried in butter for dessert the next and the next and the next. Some have it sliced for breakfast, hence the link here (as well as the sausage kind of link, of course).
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From my knowledge of the South Circ, it would be headline news were the traffic flowing freely.
  • Options

I expect state aid will end up very close to what was agreed with the Japanese. That is entirely agreeable.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Tis a wonder, P_T, that you have NOT (yet) been recruited to beef up the Tory front bench.

Surely you'd be a BIG improvement over what they've now got? BUT that's NOT much of a compliment!
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I understand in the North East "lockdown", the requirement to "not socialise with people outside your own household" is simply advice and won't be the law.

Good luck with compliance with that.

Eh? A relative pointed this out -

"1. What are the new measures?
    From Friday 18th September, regulations will lawfully ban the following:

Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their own households in private homes and gardens ..."

Admittedly "Please note: We are yet to receive the regulations outlining the advice, guidance and legislation in full. We will further communicate implications for our residents and businesses as soon as we can."

But pubs will remain open. I think that's pretty shite for people living on their own.

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/coronavirus/Latest-information-and-advice-on-Coronavirus.aspx#:~:text=What are the new measures,restricted to table service only
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Clever.

The EU sequenced it this way as a powerplay to try to compel us to give in to their demands.
    The UK has published the IM Bill as a powerplay to undercut that and remove that as an issue on their favour.

Now the real talks are happening and people are compromising. The IM Bill has done its job - it was a dirty act, but the EU have played dirty through this too. Sometimes to get the right thing done you need to get down and dirty.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Can we expect a clarification from the deputy mayor any time soon? No, thought not.
    When I used to live there 12 years ago gridlock was pretty normal most afternoons.
  • Options
    I just heard a thing saying that US testing turn around has gone out to 7-8 days, when they had it down to to couple in the summer.

Apparently one of the reasons, lack of reagents.

I wonder, rest of Europe is also suffering spikes, do we think its possible UK labs again are suffering shortages of the reagents?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

My theory is still that it's a "Brexit is in peril, defend it with all your might" vote.

That may be true, but...

Just as Trump is running on platform of Vote for Me so that all the really bad stuff that is happening right now with me in charge won't happen, so BoZo ran on a platform of "I will get it done", and then didn't...

There must come a point, surely?
    Eventually, you would have thought so. But at the moment, the loyalists are loyal and happy to blame anyone but Boris. cf. the party split on the "Who would be to blame for a second lockdown" YouGov yesterday.
  • Options

I just heard a thing saying that US testing turn around has gone out to 7-8 days, when they had it down to to couple in the summer.

Apparently one of the reasons, lack of reagents.

I wonder, rest of Europe is also suffering spikes, do we think its possible UK labs again are suffering shortages of the reagents?

Have you asked Peston?
This discussion has been closed.