Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020 betting: The best odds on Biden are the in the national markets – Trump punters should go for

Comments

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    If they haven't got the QR code they haven't got the appointment what are they doing going to the centre?

Lot of people turning up uninvited and without an appointment certainly may cause traffic but I fail to see the issue.
    Tis a wonder, P_T, that you have NOT (yet) been recruited to beef up the Tory front bench.

Surely you'd be a BIG improvement over what they've now got? BUT that's NOT much of a compliment!
    Re: the lineup, could it be that these folks THOUGHT they had a reservation from Dodo's super-duper system?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,548

PB POP QUIZ

“I found it to be an amazing spectacle of [BLANK]’s reality distortion field on full power — his refusal to answer the substance of serious questions, his complete bonkers grasp of reality and facts and his comfort in offering non-sensical explanations for very serious topics”

WHO is BLANK?

a) Boris Johnson

b) Donald Trump

c) Mike Smithson

I wouldn't call Mike completely bonkers.
  • Options
    Is there anything Tencent doesn't own?

Premier League rights: New China broadcast deal agreed - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54192237
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

On the basis of new information today I surmise Boris wants a deal and the EU really wants a deal and both need to save face and will help each other do it. There's also the compromise on fish being floated as per Katya Adler's tweet the other day.

So I'm back to 40% chance of a deal - the main obstacle now being state aid.

Close to a certainty for me. Always thought so. Still do. Theatrics then more theatrics then Deal. If I'm wrong and we are on basic WTO terms with the EU on 1st Jan next year I will - well whatever, I'll do whatever my worst enemies would like to see me do.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    If they haven't got the QR code they haven't got the appointment what are they doing going to the centre?

Lot of people turning up uninvited and without an appointment certainly may cause traffic but I fail to see the issue.
    The traffic is due to part of the south circular closed due to a burst water main, nothing to do with covid testing despite the tweet. Just been through it.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/network-latest/se12---burst-main-and-road-closure
    Can we expect a clarification from the deputy mayor any time soon? No, thought not.
    There is a mobile testing centre in Catford today, but anyone driving from outside the area would be far more likely to go the big testing centre at the O2 in Greenwich anyway.

Id be very surprised if more than a couple of hundred cars were going to the testing site and that is absolutely negligible compared to normal daily south circular traffic, even it were a couple of thousand over the day it wouldnt make a difference.

As always people, of all political persuasions, are too ready to believe what they read on twitter.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Pulpstar said:

Biden is up 4pts in NC with Suffolk Uni (A grade pollster on 538)

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Unaffiliated 23,525 29.04%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Mail in In person On the day

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

That lot resulted in 2,362,631 Trump / 2,189,316 Clinton / 187,345 Someone else
    That looks tricky for the GOP – will require a massive on-the-day turnout surely?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

The traffic is due to part of the south circular closed due to a burst water main, nothing to do with covid testing despite the tweet. Just been through it.

Can we expect a clarification from the deputy mayor any time soon? No, thought not.
    There is a mobile testing centre in Catford today, but anyone driving from outside the area would be far more likely to go the big testing centre at the O2 in Greenwich anyway.

Id be very surprised if more than a couple of hundred cars were going to the testing site and that is absolutely negligible compared to normal daily south circular traffic, even it were a couple of thousand over the day it wouldnt make a difference.

As always people, of all political persuasions, are too ready to believe what they read on twitter.
    I'm shocked people think you can test that many people per day without having queues. If there aren't queues, you aren't using all the capacity.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That'd actually have achieved its objective because the full trade deal - if signed by both sides - would supersede the needs for the caveats in the WA as it would spell out precisely how it would work. And if neither the UK or the EU were happy with it they wouldn't sign it.

It allows both sides to save face.

Clever.
    Not really. It could be an incredibly bare bones "trade deal" covering only certain areas, and even then would require the WA to be implemented in full including the customs checks in the Irish Sea.
    If it's that it won't be signed.

Every knows that intra UK and Irish trade is crucial and you only know how that's going to work once the full FTA is done, and which goods and services may be affected and how.

Which is why the sequencing was always bullshit: this should all have been negotiated in one package at once, which wouldn't have affected the Irish border being one of the key redlines.

Could have saved us all a lot of grief.
    The EU sequenced it this way as a powerplay to try to compel us to give in to their demands.
    The UK has published the IM Bill as a powerplay to undercut that and remove that as an issue on their favour.

Now the real talks are happening and people are compromising. The IM Bill has done its job - it was a dirty act, but the EU have played dirty through this too. Sometimes to get the right thing done you need to get down and dirty.
    So it was just dirty brinkmanship all along. I probably dreamt it, but weren't you previously claiming that the Boris Bill was a robust, noble and utterly unavoidable assertion of parliamentary sovereignty for the ages?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Fantastic.

With marmalade, obvs.

Edit: not 100% sure about the hash brown situation. Full English?! Hmm.
    And can't say I've seen black pudding in a fried breakfast outside Ireland.
    It's absolutely key in Lancashire. There's also the white pudding issue to consider,,though that is more Scottish.
    Had black [pudding with a fried breakfast in N Wales
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm shocked people think you can test that many people per day without having queues. If there aren't queues, you aren't using all the capacity.
    A worse sight is when they go to a testing centre, which officially has no test slots, and they are just sitting around having a fag and reading the newspaper.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That'd actually have achieved its objective because the full trade deal - if signed by both sides - would supersede the needs for the caveats in the WA as it would spell out precisely how it would work. And if neither the UK or the EU were happy with it they wouldn't sign it.

It allows both sides to save face.

Clever.
    It's Jeeves saving Mr Wooster from the consequences of his actions clever.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,155

Scott_xP said:
    LOL (b) is absolutely meaningless! :grin:

"In the event we agree a deal we won't implement it until you ratify the deal and remove your no deal powers" - file under no s**t Sherlock.
    The EU will capitulate, remember we hold all the cards...err...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

A worse sight is when they go to a testing centre, which officially has no test slots, and they are just sitting around having a fag and reading the newspaper.
    Its presumably processing or sourcing the tests thats causing the delays and shortages, not performing them or the traffic!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Its presumably processing or sourcing the tests thats causing the delays and shortages, not performing them or the traffic!
    My understanding is they can do ~200k a day PCR tests. They have set aside 100k for nhs, care homes etc and 100k for the public.

Why they haven't managed to scale past 200k is unknown. Is it poor management, is it lack of lab / chemicals capacity, i haven't heard anybody give a good explanation. Other than we know the man from delmonte, i mean Deloitte, left after scaling it to 200k and Dido Harding took over and they have got stuck.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

I wonder if the Amy Dorris revelations will cut through. Although I suspect any sleaze-ball revelations are already priced in.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

nova said:

nova said:

HYUFD said:
    Terrible idea. It's this that keeps them anchored and knowledgeable about the real world.

They otherwise just fill their time writing pointless EDMs and doing social work.
    Agreed 100%

The amount of people who will both moan that MPs are all "out of touch" and then complain about them having second jobs.

There's no reason backbench MPs shouldn't have second jobs, in fact it should really be encouraged. Ministers are afterall all a second job on top of being MPs so why shouldn't backbenchers have one too that keeps them in touch in the real world?
    That would be a good point if MPs were doing second jobs that were "in touch". If they want to do 5 hours a week teaching at a local college, working at a youth centre, a law centre or CAB, or even working in a bar/shop/cafe, then they'd learn an awful lot about their local communities.

But apart from the odd professional, what they tend to do is consult with firms who want to influence MPs, or sit on boards, where they're almost as far from understanding every day life for the majority as they are in Parliament.
    But many MPs do that. There are MPs who work as a doctor or other stuff that they did beforehand part time.

There are also MPs who are grifters.

Like anything in life there's good and bad. Its up to the public to decide, let them vote out the bad and keep the good . . . there's no point banning second jobs to target the grifters but also catching the good MPs with reasonable 'second jobs', throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Besides the grifters will always find another way to grift if that's what they want to do. At least with our system as it is they need to publicly declare their income and its not sly backhanders that are kept off the books.
    Sure there are a few doctors - I said "apart from the off professional", but they're very much the minority.

You could easily ban consultancy work and even directorships, as both are often just bought influence. If MPs then wanted another job, they could get one that doesn't rely on their position as an MP.
    What purpose does that serve?

An MP has to declare any payments they receive, put them on their register of interests. Then the voters can decide, if they dislike their MP grifting then they can elect another MP. Problem solved.

Other countries with bans like this you end up with off the books direct corruption which is far, far worse and has no public knowledge or recourse to what is going on.
    You'll literally argue about anything won't you? :)

You suggested that it was incompatible to say MPs are "out of touch" and also want to ban second jobs. I'm sure you don't really believe that most MPs are doing second jobs that "keep it real"?

The argument that they should be allowed to do those jobs, even though they're mostly nothing to do with the life of an average person, but trade on their position as an MP, because we can't trust them not to break the law, is one of the best I've heard though - bravo for that!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

That looks tricky for the GOP – will require a massive on-the-day turnout surely?
    The GOP do tend to do well on the day. Also there is early in person voting in October, this is just mail ins (Which are expanding massively due to the pandemic)

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/07/politics/north-carolina-early-voting-2016/index.html

Clinton/Dems had 41.7% with Trumpton on 31.9% last time out - Trump victory by 3.66%.
    Obama/Dems had 47.5%, Romney/GOP had 31.5% - Romney victory by 2.04%.

So far Biden is 50.5% - 55.3% to the GOP 15.4 - 17.1% (Depending on your chosen metric). Independents & others at 29.04 - 31.9% is broadly in line with their natural state affiliation (35.85% Dem, 30.09% GOP, 33.36%).

The Democrats are definitely cannibalising future vote, but the GOP vote thus far looks moribund.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Look at this graph of infections by age group for a Florida county.
    The surge in young people in June was mirrored by a slightly smaller one for older people in July. The recent numbers are ... notable, to say the least.

https://twitter.com/39Magilla/status/1306602678047461376
  • Options
    Big crowds at the tour de france again...face..palm...
  • Options
    Not sure if this has already been picked up, but this view by the excellent Sir Ivan Rogers is probably the best take you'll find anywhere on what on earth is going through the minds of Boris and Cummings:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/trumpite-boris-johnson-wants-eu-to-fail-former-british-diplomat-says-1.4356233
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

My understanding is they can do ~200k a day PCR tests. They have set aside 100k for nhs, care homes etc and 100k for the public.

Why they haven't managed to scale past 200k is unknown. Is it poor management, is it lack of lab / chemicals capacity, i haven't heard anybody give a good explanation. Other than we know the man from delmonte, i mean Deloitte, left after scaling it to 200k and Dido Harding took over and they have got stuck.
    Maybe Deloitte put a 200k limit in so they could be called back and charge a fortune to remove it!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Has anyone asked Dido if she's heard of pooled testing ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is that what you do with horses to see how fast they are?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Dido does have a function, she makes Johnson look supremely competent.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    She actually looks on top of her brief at the committee. Compare and contrast with Johnson's appearance yesterday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

Why do left wing parties in general tend to do better by postal votes and right wing voting in person?

It's the same here, but not so pronounced

It always seems a little suspicious to me.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    edited September 2020
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe Deloitte put a 200k limit in so they could be called back and charge a fortune to remove it!
    More probably it's all of the above, plus a shortage of staff. TBH, working in a lab doing one test, for one 'thing' must be pretty boring.
    And weren't the managers using Uni students during the Summer, who have now gone back to Uni. Although there may be Uni's locally, there'll surely be a changeover?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

The GOP do tend to do well on the day. Also there is early in person voting in October, this is just mail ins (Which are expanding massively due to the pandemic)

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/07/politics/north-carolina-early-voting-2016/index.html

Clinton/Dems had 41.7% with Trumpton on 31.9% last time out - Trump victory by 3.66%.

So far Biden is 50.5% - 55.3% to the GOP 15.4 - 17.1% (Depending on your chosen metric). Independents & others at 29.04 - 31.9% is broadly in line with their natural state affiliation (35.85% Dem, 30.09% GOP, 33.36%).

The Democrats are definitely cannibalising future vote, but the GOP vote thus far looks moribund.
    Keep in mind, that in NC (and number of other states) there are people who regularly vote Republican in federal elections, who are still registered as Democrats.
  • Options

Not sure if this has already been picked up, but this view by the excellent Sir Ivan Rogers is probably the best take you'll find anywhere on what on earth is going through the minds of Boris and Cummings:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/trumpite-boris-johnson-wants-eu-to-fail-former-british-diplomat-says-1.4356233

Profoundly depressing stuff.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The surge in young people in June was mirrored by a slightly smaller one for older people in July. The recent numbers are ... notable, to say the least.

If the young and healthy are getting infected and the old and vulnerable are not as a result, then that is a good thing isn't it?

We're more likely to reach herd immunity faster and with fewer deaths.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So much for those photos of cars queueing for tests.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The waffly bollocks is quite similar, though. Even if lacking a certain panache.
  • Options

Yes, that sounds plausible - basically Boris and Dom still trying to play mind games with the public.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    She actually looks on top of her brief at the committee. Compare and contrast with Johnson's appearance yesterday.
    I am not seeing the coverage, just responding to her unbelievable answer to Clark. I am some ill-educated street scumbag not some super-duper highly qualified former CEO of TalkTalk, and I knew the testing requirement would ramp up after the schools returned. It is pretty basic stuff, school children are susceptible to autumn and winter bugs and transmission within schools is high because children operate in close proximity to each other. I know this because I used to attend school as a child.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

That does not really tell us much given 67% of Democrats this year intend to vote via mail in postal ballot compared to just 28% of Republicans and 57% of Republicans intend to vote on the day compared to just 37% of Democrats.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/august-2020-presidential-race-tightens-after-party-conventions
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Carnyx said:

I understand in the North East "lockdown", the requirement to "not socialise with people outside your own household" is simply advice and won't be the law.

Good luck with compliance with that.

Eh? A relative pointed this out -

"1. What are the new measures?
    From Friday 18th September, regulations will lawfully ban the following:

Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their own households in private homes and gardens ..."

Admittedly "Please note: We are yet to receive the regulations outlining the advice, guidance and legislation in full. We will further communicate implications for our residents and businesses as soon as we can."

But pubs will remain open. I think that's pretty shite for people living on their own.

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/coronavirus/Latest-information-and-advice-on-Coronavirus.aspx#:~:text=What are the new measures,restricted to table service only
    I think I had duff information.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

If the young and healthy are getting infected and the old and vulnerable are not as a result, then that is a good thing isn't it?

We're more likely to reach herd immunity faster and with fewer deaths.
    If time stopped at the end of that graph, yes.
    I did mention the lag of about a month.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    I am not seeing the coverage, just responding to her unbelievable answer to Clark. I am some ill-educated street scumbag not some super-duper highly qualified former CEO of TalkTalk, and I knew the testing requirement would ramp up after the schools returned. It is pretty basic stuff, school children are susceptible to autumn and winter bugs and transmission within schools is high because children operate in close proximity to each other. I know this because I used to attend school as a child.
    Yeah, maybe they thought it would be half of what it actually is, for example? From the evidence it sounds as though the forecasts were made and maybe published(?) by SAGE.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Nigelb said:

Lol. Would love to hear her answer.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited September 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    The opposition to these bullsh!t knee-jerk authoritarian policies is growing.

Julia Hartley Brewer made mincemeat of the Junior Health minister Edward Agar this morning when she asked him how many healthy people under 60 had died of COVID since the outbreak. (307).

He clearly had no idea whatever. None. She had to tell him. He's the junior health minister! These people are making policy arbitrarily with no grasp of their briefs whatsoever.

She then asked him to justify the government's actions in the light of that. Gibbering wreck.
  • Options

Yes, that sounds plausible - basically Boris and Dom still trying to play mind games with the public.
    Yes, and it's probably true that, because they've left it so late and haven't done any serious preparations, January is going to be a disaster whatever happens, so the additional disaster of an acrimonious crash-out won't be that much worse in political terms. It's a profoundly cynical calculation of course, because in the effect on people's livelihoods it will be worse.

I think he's also right on how the EU will respond (he is probably the best-informed current or former civil servant on the EU):

“The EU will say that they tried to do a deal but the UK never accepted the obvious automatic consequences of leaving the customs union and single market, they had better now see and experience those consequences and they need a period of sobering up whilst they realise just how difficult it’s going to be as a third country without any preferential deal. "
    “The Europeans are never going to walk because they’re not going to give him that pleasure. If he wants to walk and he wants to pull the plug on the talks, he is going to have to do it himself,” Sir Ivan said.

“I think they will commence infraction proceedings straightaway after the UK fails to meet the September 30th deadline [for the bill to be withdrawn]I don’t think they’ve got much choice. ....”

However, I think that although he's right that they'll start formal infraction proceedings, my guess is that they'll do so slowly, which won't be hard of course. They'll string it out over a few months so that it's all quite low-key, and wait for the UK to come to its senses. At the same time they'll emphasise that they want to resume negotiations but that it's up to the UK to rectify the breach of the WA first.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Local lockdowns! Great news- Johnson's requirement for no national lockdown is on track. So if every local authority in the UK unilaterally locks down except say, Rutland, Johnson's promise has been fulfilled!

There seemed to be a little scepticism in Kate's tweet, implying that perhaps we are over reacting, but just look at the blue line, it is just starting to rise. Wasn't our problem in wave one that hospitalisations and deaths were already out of control by the time we did anything about it? Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Nigelb said:

She has someone who comes round to check chlorine levels once a year?
    Isn't that how everyone does it?

After all - who needs experts?
    https://www.lgcplus.com/services/health-and-care/revealed-top-leadership-team-at-nhs-test-and-trace-includes-just-one-public-health-expert-15-09-2020/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    The waffly bollocks is quite similar, though. Even if lacking a certain panache.
    She could always ruffle her hair.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    Latest number of positive UK coronavirus cases 3,395
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Which might ironically help Boris if he can postpone a hard Brexit past the Holyrood elections next May until the end of next year, thus reducing the SNP's grievance opportunities (even if it costs the Tories some council seats in England next year)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

Why do left wing parties in general tend to do better by postal votes and right wing voting in person?

IIUC it wasn't true in the US until this cycle, when Trump signalled to his tribe that it's a bad thing. It used to be pretty balanced over there.

In the UK I think I vaguely recall that it favours the Tories but I can't find any data?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Which might ironically help Boris if he can postpone a hard Brexit past the Holyrood elections next March until the end of next year (even if it costs the Tories some council seats in England next May)
    WTF!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    edited September 2020
    Northumberland being added looks rather overkill - their numbers per 100k are way below Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

HYUFD said:

Which might ironically help Boris if he can postpone a hard Brexit past the Holyrood elections next March until the end of next year (even if it costs the Tories some council seats in England next May)
    WTF!
    No, WTO :wink:
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited September 2020

Northumberland being added looks rather overkill - their numbers per 100k are way below Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland.
    I can imagine that a majority of Northumberland’s cases are in the urban areas directly to the north of Newcastle - Ponteland, Cramlington, Ashington, Blyth, etc. The alternative would be to do it by postcode, but I guess this is “cleaner”.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yeah, maybe they thought it would be half of what it actually is, for example? From the evidence it sounds as though the forecasts were made and maybe published(?) by SAGE.
    My point is one didn't have to be a SAGE expert to know snotty kids pass on pestilence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Or appont a thousand Peers for a Year....
  • Options
    Couple of hundred hereditaries waiting in the wings. ;)
  • Options

Serious question, how far behind reality is that number?
  • Options

IIUC it wasn't true in the US until this cycle, when Trump signalled to his tribe that it's a bad thing. It used to be pretty balanced over there.

In the UK I think I vaguely recall that it favours the Tories but I can't find any data?

I think you are right in the sense that more Conservative than Labour voters use postal voting, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that postal voting favours the Conservatives. I suspect that it doesn't; it's simply a reflection of the greater average age of Conservative voters, but they would vote in person anyway if they didn't have a postal vote. In other words, the fact that one party's voters use postal voting more doesn't have to mean it favours that party.
  • Options

We'll find out with the next ONS data release. Not sure if that was weekly or fortnightly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598
    HYUFD said:

Which might ironically help Boris if he can postpone a hard Brexit past the Holyrood elections next May until the end of next year, thus reducing the SNP's grievance opportunities (even if it costs the Tories some council seats in England next year)
    But it wouldn't postpone Hard Brexit, as that would happen New Years Day, Irish Sea customs and all.
  • Options
    RobD said:

We'll find out with the next ONS data release. Not sure if that was weekly or fortnightly.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    @DAlexander

That's not true, Raab for instance clearly had his votes in the post.

@Seashantyirish2

Well yes, or West Virginia would be lean Democrat. You'd expect in a marginal state like North Carolina for the GOP vote to be broadly GOP and the Democrat vote to be broadly Dem though I think ?

Democrat registration has decreased in every county except Wake and Mecklenburg since 2016 - so there is an element of self tidying going on wrt VI and party affiliation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think Philip Thompson and HYUFD are deserving for their relentless work posting on behalf of the Conservative Party on the PB blog.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

But it wouldn't postpone Hard Brexit, as that would happen New Years Day, Irish Sea customs and all.
    Oh yeah!
  • Options

RobD said:

I think Philip Thompson and HYUFD are deserving for their relentless work posting on behalf of the Conservative Party on the PB blog.
    HYUFD, Earl of Epping has a nice ring to it! (though wishful thinking)
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431

Carnyx said:

I understand in the North East "lockdown", the requirement to "not socialise with people outside your own household" is simply advice and won't be the law.

Good luck with compliance with that.

Eh? A relative pointed this out -

"1. What are the new measures?
    From Friday 18th September, regulations will lawfully ban the following:

Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their own households in private homes and gardens ..."

Admittedly "Please note: We are yet to receive the regulations outlining the advice, guidance and legislation in full. We will further communicate implications for our residents and businesses as soon as we can."

But pubs will remain open. I think that's pretty shite for people living on their own.

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/coronavirus/Latest-information-and-advice-on-Coronavirus.aspx#:~:text=What are the new measures,restricted to table service only
    I think I had duff information.
    The fact this is still not published in full and comes into effect at midnight is pretty nuts. I'm supposed to be going on holiday to Northumberland next week - single household so it looks like that will still be possible. However, our cancelled June holiday in Northumberland was going to be us and my in-laws, the replacement holiday next week could have been the same but the in-laws decided not to join due to other caring commitments. If they had joined and we'd gone away this week, would our two-household holiday have become illegal at midnight? At what point before midnight would we have known this so one of the households could start packing?
  • Options

RobD said:

To quote the good lady, what a good idea! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Boris has now committed to not have a border in the Irish Sea, even if only for a few months, so most likely Boris would extend trade talks for that few months and even ask the EU to extend the implementation period, if only for show mainly, to avoid that happening in January and the EU would likely agree given the internal market bill would not have passed yet
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

According to experts like Prof Carl Heneghan, it could be some way above the true figure....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD, Earl of Epping has a nice ring to it! (though wishful thinking)
    If Dido 'bloody' Harding was deserving of a peerage why not you? Become a friend of David Cameron and marry a Conservative MP and you are home and dry!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:

That does not really tell us much given 67% of Democrats this year intend to vote via mail in postal ballot compared to just 28% of Republicans and 57% of Republicans intend to vote on the day compared to just 37% of Democrats.

67% of Democrats plan to vote via mail and 37% of Democrats intend to vote on the day. That's 104% of Democrats ?!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

Remain won the in person vote in 2016. The postals turned it to Leave.

Does that seem suspicious to you?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

67% of Democrats plan to vote via mail and 37% of Democrats intend to vote on the day. That's 104% of Democrats ?!
    No it is 67% of those voting by mail will be Democrats and 37% of those voting on the day will be Democrats, apologies
  • Options

According to experts like Prof Carl Heneghan, it could be some way above the true figure....
    So significantly less than 3;395? I'm off down the pub then!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Following Trump's advice to do both?

And 28% of Republicans intend to vote by mail and 57% on the day which is just 85% so major bonus to the Democrats.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

No. Are you suggesting it was rigged?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Linking to an earlier discussion on MPs' outside work, Owen Paterson has a contract worth £4,166 a month for 8 hours work as a consultant to Randox (Register of Members' Interests). Over £500 an hour. Nice work if you can get it.

I'm sure that PT and Casino Royale will justify this as it helps Mr Paterson stay in touch with the "real world".

In reality, it's cronyism verging on corruption, as are many (maybe most) of the outside jobs held by MPs. I'm sure Mr Paterson didn't help Randox get the contract.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    She could always ruffle her hair.
    You could put a chocolate Dido in the job, and we’d be no worse off.
  • Options
    I think it probably fair to say that Dido can't give any useful answers to any interesting questions, as she either "doesn't have the hard data", or the question deals with a matter covered by "commercial confidentiality".

Though here is a pleasing absence of meaningless metaphors.

She's not divorced from reality, but her capability to influence it as a manager of the organisation isn't particularly evident.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Linking to an earlier discussion on MPs' outside work, Owen Paterson has a contract worth £4,166 a month for 8 hours work as a consultant to Randox (Register of Members' Interests). Over £500 an hour. Nice work if you can get it.

I'm sure that PT and Casino Royale will justify this as it helps Mr Paterson stay in touch with the "real world".

In reality, it's cronyism verging on corruption, as are many (maybe most) of the outside jobs held by MPs. I'm sure Mr Paterson didn't help Randox get the contract.
    No I would not say that 🙄

If MPs are corrupt then voters should vote them out. An MPs second job can be either good or bad there is no right answer - and if you do a blanket ban you throw the good out with the bad.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

That takes account of Trump's advice to North Carolina then.
  • Options
    I'm not following live, but on the basis of the reports of what Dido Harding is saying, she seems to be extremely sensible, and very much on top of the brief.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Boris has now committed to not have a border in the Irish Sea, even if only for a few months, so most likely Boris would extend trade talks for that few months and even ask the EU to extend the implementation period, if only for show mainly, to avoid that happening in January and the EU would likely agree given the internal market bill would not have passed yet
    Well, he has committed to two contradictory things then. No extensions and no Irish Sea border (despite the latter being a key part of his oven ready deal).
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

Wouldn't have thought so. But @DAlexander seems to have his suspicions.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

B 47
    T 43

North Carolina so far:

Mail in votes by party
    Democratic 44,821 55.33%
    Republican 12,460 15.38%
    Libertarian 166 0.20%
    Constitution 11 0.01%
    Green 29 0.04%

Party Requests (Mail)
    DEMOCRATIC 435,981
    REPUBLICAN 147,986
    UNAFFILIATED 275,660
    LIBERTARIAN 2,808
    CONSTITUTION 203
    GREEN 414

Grand Total 863,052

Here's 2016

Dem 60043 / 1247968 / 0
    Rep 76154 / 928187 / 0
    Una 55404 / 779454 / 0
    Unknown 0 / 0 / 1592082

Wouldn't have thought so. But @DAlexander seems to have his suspicions.
    I thought it was curiosity more than anything else.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

I'm not following live, but on the basis of the reports of what Dido Harding is saying, she seems to be extremely sensible, and very much on top of the brief.

It is, however, eminently possible to be extremely sensible, on top of the brief and not very good at the job.
  • Options

Like you I am following via the wire, but my biggest concern is her surprise that children returning to school on an industrial scale wouldn't cause a greater demand for tests.
  • Options

Like you I am following via the wire, but my biggest concern is her surprise that children returning to school on an industrial scale wouldn't cause a greater demand for tests.
    It's possible to both expect a rise and be surprised at the size of the increase. As I mentioned earlier, it was mentioned in the committee that the projections were based on SAGE predictions of the demand.
This discussion has been closed.