Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Leave it to Cummings – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2020 in General
Leave it to Cummings – politicalbetting.com

Cummings seen with letter on 1980s US military reorganisation https://t.co/VEXVX2Ajvu

Read the full story here

Comments

• First - Solely to ensure the comments work properly. HONEST.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

First - Solely to ensure the comments work properly. HONEST.

Hm, where's that judge-led inquiry?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited September 2020
    RobD said:

We hate judges now. They’re the enemies of the people.
  • FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1306212260214435840?s=20
    'The uncomfortable truth, which Westminster struggles to acknowledge, is that another Trump victory might be in Britain’s best interests. If The Donald's international comedy routine comes to an end, the joke might be on us.'

I'd be much happier with a Biden Presidency and no trade deal than one negotiated with President Trump.
    Fine but be prepared as I said earlier for Britain to be more isolated from Europe and America than it has been at any time since the American Revolution if a No Deal Brexit is followed by a Biden Presidency and a continued Pelosi Speakership
    You're still not thinking more than one step ahead.

If the Internal Markets Bill goes through, transition ends with WTO and Biden becomes President then what happens next?

Do you think the world ends then with no more steps taken by anybody?

Or might Ireland, the EU and America still want a deal to be reached that can resolve the Irish border issues?
    And you think in this world the EU and USA will come together and jointly treat a delinquent UK as a sovereign equal?
  • FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'The uncomfortable truth, which Westminster struggles to acknowledge, is that another Trump victory might be in Britain’s best interests. If The Donald's international comedy routine comes to an end, the joke might be on us.'

I'd be much happier with a Biden Presidency and no trade deal than one negotiated with President Trump.
    Fine but be prepared as I said earlier for Britain to be more isolated from Europe and America than it has been at any time since the American Revolution if a No Deal Brexit is followed by a Biden Presidency and a continued Pelosi Speakership

If the Internal Markets Bill goes through, transition ends with WTO and Biden becomes President then what happens next?

Or might Ireland, the EU and America still want a deal to be reached that can resolve the Irish border issues?
    If the internal markets bill goes through then zero chance of any trade deal with the EU or American as there will be no border in the Irish Sea which they see, admittedly wrongly, as ripping up the GFA.

We will in Obama's own words literally be 'at the back of the queue' and irrelevant to a Biden administration
    If the IM Bill goes through and 'the GFA is ripped up' then what happens next? You're still not answering.

Are the EU going to be happy to leave matters like that? Or are they going to want a solution to the Irish issue?
    They will impose a solution (in fact the one we've already agreed to) but turning the thumb screws on the UK. Thinking that we can just change the facts on the ground and that will be that is the same kind of delusion that led to Suez.
  • Not keen on the new look. But, more important, I wish it actually worked, and did not truncate the comments.
  • Scott_xP said:
    This is all getting very messy. I wonder if the Tory MPs will soon be saying, 'Thanks for the 80-seat majority and all that Boris but cheerio.' Yes, the base will hate it and there might be some leakage to TBP (or whatever) such is Boris's cult appeal. But the reasoning will be that one term of Starmer's Labour will be infinitely preferable to oblivion, which will happen if Brexit, as it appears on course to be under Boris and Dom, is an unmitigated disaster.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the internal markets bill goes through then zero chance of any trade deal with the EU or American as there will be no border in the Irish Sea which they see, admittedly wrongly, as ripping up the GFA.

We will in Obama's own words literally be 'at the back of the queue' and irrelevant to a Biden administration
    If the IM Bill goes through and 'the GFA is ripped up' then what happens next? You're still not answering.

Are the EU going to be happy to leave matters like that? Or are they going to want a solution to the Irish issue?
    They will impose a solution (in fact the one we've already agreed to) but turning the thumb screws on the UK. Thinking that we can just change the facts on the ground and that will be that is the same kind of delusion that led to Suez.
    The facts on the ground being....??
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2020

Scott_xP said:
    This is all getting very messy. I wonder if the Tory MPs will soon be saying, 'Thanks for the 80-seat majority and all that Boris but cheerio.' Yes, the base will hate it and there might be some leakage to TBP (or whatever) such is Boris's cult appeal. But the reasoning will be that one term of Starmer's Labour will be infinitely preferable to oblivion, which will happen if Brexit, as it appears on course to be under Boris and Dom, is an unmitigated disaster.
    In the 2019 European elections the Brexit Party got 31% and the Tories got 9%, that would be a far worse result for the Tories if repeated in 2024 than even the 30% they got in 1997
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Well I enjoyed the header.
    Jolly good stuff.
  • HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    In the 2019 European elections the Brexit Party got 31% and the Tories got 9%, that would be a far worse result for the Tories if repeated in 2024 than even the 30% they got in 1997
    You solved that problem by ensuring there are no further European elections. A lesson perhaps?
  • https://order-order.com/2020/09/16/frankie-boyles-new-woke-wingefest/

The thing with this shit is not only the predictable one sided political slant, but it aint funny.

Mark Thomas is a very left wing, but he can actually tell a funny tale and has a self deprecating manner about individuals involved in the movements he has been involved with.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

We hate judges now. They’re the enemies of the people.
    Right, we need a people's tribunal.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

Yes: "sprawled and desolately flapping like a mackerel in a bucket, Cummings entered as if twirling a black cape".

Cyclefree, I`m guessing. Meeks is my second guess.
  • Scott_xP said:
    No way to conclude that from the error message, something on a server somewhere isn't responding as expected, that could be because of congestion or a coding error or a network problem in between or basically anything.
  • Any decent batters, cos England could do with some.
  • FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And you think in this world the EU and USA will come together and jointly treat a delinquent UK as a sovereign equal?
    Yes because the UK is a sovereign equal and any solution to the problem requires our co-operation.

They may be pissed off and angry at us for what we've done, but anger won't create a solution reaching a compromise will.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    If there is a brexit betrayal the conservatives are roadkill. For a generation. Maybe permanently.

Many tories are already very unhappy with the party's attitude in the culture war, boats in the channel, civil liberties, lockdown, the economy and soon to come higher taxation. All they need is a powerful alternative with a well organised structure and an established political identity. They will punish Boris's ship of fools very severely.

• Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

Same here - well done the "PB Regular", who ever you may be - a little levity goes a long way.....
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "Sweden was right to put two fingers up to us
    Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/sweden-was-right-to-put-two-fingers-up-to-us-2cc5gw286
  • Enjoyed the header. We need to keep our sense of humour.
  • HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Many tories are already very unhappy
    You know many Tories do you?

They hadn't struck me as people whose company you'd seek out.....
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited September 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/sweden-was-right-to-put-two-fingers-up-to-us-2cc5gw286

Paywall unfortunately - shame, I`d like to read this.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    If there is a brexit betrayal the conservatives are roadkill. For a generation. Maybe permanently.

Many tories are already very unhappy with the party's attitude in the culture war, boats in the channel, civil liberties, lockdown, the economy and soon to come higher taxation. All they need is a powerful alternative with a well organised structure and an established political identity. They will punish Boris's ship of fools very severely.

Yes, if Boris or Sunak shifted to EEA and allowed free movement, failed to regain control of UK fishing waters and an EU veto over UK state aid etc then the Tories would be dead as a Dodo effectively much as the Canadian Tories were in 1993, the Brexit Party would likely end up the main party of the right and Farage would be Leader of the Opposition in 2024 to PM Starmer.

The Tories will not even be able to consider EEA for a generation given how much of their support comes from hardline Leavers over 60 now
  • FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes because the UK is a sovereign equal and any solution to the problem requires our co-operation.

They may be pissed off and angry at us for what we've done, but anger won't create a solution reaching a compromise will.
    I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was the EU side who'd just unilaterally announced that they were breaking a treaty they'd just signed. You'd be saying there was no point in signing a new treaty since they'd just break that as well.
  • FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nice try but that doesn't work. They can say No Deal but if we're prepared to live with that then they're out of options and the longer we get past 1/1/21 the smoother No Deal will be for us as we will resolve any issues.

Our difficulties from No Deal will dissipate as we adapt, but their problems with the Irish border won't. If they want a deal, they will need to compromise.

Or they could choose to sit out and wait four years and hope that Labour wins the next election and reaches a quick agreement with them. But that leaves the Irish issue open and unresolved for years.
  • Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

This is the line that broke me.

“Dominic,” I said, “everyone is coming to me with problems. And you come to me with solutions for problems that lie 20 years in the future. Your last solution to the Irish border was facial recognition for sheep. Can we sit down and concentrate on what the Gover likes to refer to as the here and now?”
    Good article on Trump’s struggle to retain the votes of seniors:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/trump-old-voters-support-biden.html
    ... The Trump campaign isn’t subtle. In an ad over the summer titled “Break In,” an older white woman is watching news coverage about activist demands to “defund the police” when she spots a burglar scouting her home’s perimeter and begins to dial 911. As the burglar attempts to force his way in, we hear Sean Hannity’s voice coming from the television, talking about how Joe Biden is “absolutely on board with defunding the police.” Before the woman can alert the authorities, the intruder crowbars his way into the home. He approaches her, and, following an implied assault, the phone falls to the ground.

“You won’t be safe in Joe Biden’s America,” the screen reads...

Such unsubtle stuff seems to be of only limited effectiveness.

... The Post analysis couldn’t divine from the data a verifiable reason that Biden has a higher floor with white seniors against Trump than Clinton or Sanders did. Is it because he’s perceived as more moderate than the others? Because he’s a moderate white man? Because he says things, in the year 2020, like, “Look, the carny show’s gone through town once, and they found out there’s no pea under any of the three shells”?...

• HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, if Boris or Sunak shifted to EEA and allowed free movement, failed to regain control of UK fishing waters and an EU veto over UK state aid etc then the Tories would be dead as a Dodo effectively much as the Canadian Tories were in 1993, the Brexit Party would likely end up the main party of the right and Farage would be Leader of the Opposition in 2024 to PM Starmer.

The Tories will not even be able to consider EEA for a generation given how much of their support comes from hardline Leavers over 60 now
    That 'EU veto over state aid' really has come from nowhere. Absolutely no one in Britain would have given a stuff about it even two weeks ago.

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Many tories are already very unhappy
    You know many Tories do you?

They hadn't struck me as people whose company you'd seek out.....
    Personally I know several very unhappy tories but you only have to listen to right leaning radio station phone ins, read conhome threads or the most liked comments in right leaning newspapers to catch the vibe. All of which I also do.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was the EU side who'd just unilaterally announced that they were breaking a treaty they'd just signed. You'd be saying there was no point in signing a new treaty since they'd just break that as well.
    Its a dirty tactic absolutely, but it happens. We're not the first and won't be the last to do it. Its not even the first time the UK has done this, we broke a Treaty 15 days after it became law before so doing so nine months later is not the end of the world.

The EU have been desperate to weaponise Northern Ireland and exploit it in these talks since 2017. The UK has been weak for years under May and what the Government is doing now is no doubt playing dirty but that's what countries have to do sometimes. The EU was playing tough before us and playing dirty now levels the playing field.

I'm no fan of Manchester United but the Government's repudiation of the EU's weaponising of Northern Ireland, in dealing with the NI Protocol are like a political equivalent of this famous tackle by Solksjaer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAz5CT6apM
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

That 'EU veto over state aid' really has come from nowhere. Absolutely no one in Britain would have given a stuff about it even two weeks ago.
    Probably 99% of the public don't understand (nore care) about the issue even now...
  • Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

Sweden is becoming more and more uncomfortable for policy makers. In some ways I blame Piers Morgan. Can you imagine if the UK had followed the Swedish approach? He would be calling the Government murderers.

edited September 2020
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

You can read a number of articles without paying if you register first. That's what I do, with the Telegraph as well as The Times.

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nice try but that doesn't work. They can say No Deal but if we're prepared to live with that then they're out of options and the longer we get past 1/1/21 the smoother No Deal will be for us as we will resolve any issues.

Our difficulties from No Deal will dissipate as we adapt, but their problems with the Irish border won't. If they want a deal, they will need to compromise.

Or they could choose to sit out and wait four years and hope that Labour wins the next election and reaches a quick agreement with them. But that leaves the Irish issue open and unresolved for years.
    It also makes the Irish issue a big issue in the next election, and labour would have to come up with a policy to please the red wall.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    LOL - very good.
  • Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

Sweden is becoming more and more uncomfortable for policy makers. In some ways I blame Piers Morgan. Can you imagine if the UK had followed the Swedish approach? He would be calling the Government murderers.

Whatever the government did, he would be screaming against it, its his schtick.

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

“Dominic,” I said, “everyone is coming to me with problems. And you come to me with solutions for problems that lie 20 years in the future. Your last solution to the Irish border was facial recognition for sheep. Can we sit down and concentrate on what the Gover likes to refer to as the here and now?”
    I thought that bit was just reportage ? :smile:

“Green aroma of disappointment” was excellent.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

where "brexit betrayal"=a sensible variety of brexit?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

And pleased to see that Cummings doesn't shimmer out of the room. Wouldn't fit somehow.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Hopefully it means they're agreeing a Parliamentary lock like the Neill Amendment, which still gets the principle of the bill through into the law but requires a Commons vote to enact it. That would be a win if they can get that through the Lords.
  • Great header, channeling the ghost of PG Wodehouse very effectively. If only Boris Johnson were so benign a figure as Bertie Wooster, and Cummings as effective as Jeeves. Hard to see Johnson delivering Bertie's withering denunciation of Roderick Spode, for instance, given how the Tories have lurched to the nationalist right under his leadership.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

Yes: "sprawled and desolately flapping like a mackerel in a bucket, Cummings entered as if twirling a black cape".

But both regularly post under their own names. I suspect it is someon who has not posted a header before.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Great header, channeling the ghost of PG Wodehouse very effectively. If only Boris Johnson were so benign a figure as Bertie Wooster, and Cummings as effective as Jeeves. Hard to see Johnson delivering Bertie's withering denunciation of Roderick Spode, for instance, given how the Tories have lurched to the nationalist right under his leadership.

Those two are more like Laurel and Hardy than Jeeves and Wooster.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Apparently PM Johnson is on again at 3.30pm, in front of the Liaison Committee.

Unless course he finds an urgent appointment is Belfast.
  • Christ.

Scott_xP said:
    Hopefully it means they're agreeing a Parliamentary lock like the Neill Amendment, which still gets the principle of the bill through into the law but requires a Commons vote to enact it. That would be a win if they can get that through the Lords.
    Nope, merely worked out a way to share the blame - as the chimpanzees with blue rosettes will vote the way they are told do.
  • I've had funnier dysentry.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    If only someone could have predicted this...

https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1306235510541647873
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

I've had funnier dysentry.

Are you not happy about something? I'm sure we'd be supportive.
  • I've had funnier dysentry.

Tell me more, I could do with a laugh.

"Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth as head of state"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-54174794
  • Scott_xP said:
    Just sounds like a desperate attempt to get Boris through one more news cycle.
    Scott_xP said:

The only way I'm staggered is that it's a mere 740 schools, I'm aware of 2 of that's out of a total of 2 schools that nieces attend.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

And pleased to see that Cummings doesn't shimmer out of the room. Wouldn't fit somehow.
    Indeed.
    Though none of it really fits if you look at it like that - Cummings' schemes are not, of course, invariably successful, and Johnson is rather less a dandy of questionable taste and rather more a sack of manure tied in the middle.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

Just sounds like a desperate attempt to get Boris through one more news cycle.

If they manage to quash the Brexit story, it will leave room for the Covid testing fuckup.

4D chess man...
    ' I wouldn't only welcome a BP candidate in your constituency sunshine, I would campaign for the b8st8rd'.

Said Boris Johnson never.

• eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

But both regularly post under their own names. I suspect it is someon who has not posted a header before.
    I thought it was Boris
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

To be fair, there is one amusing thing about it - the way the millionth unfunny header bashing Boris and / or Cummings is introduced as 'something completely different'...
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

You can read a number of articles without paying if you register first. That's what I do, with the Telegraph as well as The Times.
    Yeah I did that.
    Unfortunately, I was then able to read Telegraph articles.
    I didn't think it was possible but the Telegraph seems to get worse daily...
  • Apparently PM Johnson is on again at 3.30pm, in front of the Liaison Committee.

Unless course he finds an urgent appointment is Belfast.

Maybe explains why Boris has done a deal with Bob Neil over the IMB

An interesting proposal for a one man show at the next Edinburgh Fringe.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Will the Neill amendment allow a reverse ferret for Brandon Lewis ?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

To be fair, there is one amusing thing about it - the way the millionth unfunny header bashing Boris and / or Cummings is introduced as 'something completely different'...
    Write a positive one then.
  • eek said:

Scott_xP said:

The only way I'm staggered is that it's a mere 740 schools, I'm aware of 2 of that's out of a total of 2 schools that nieces attend.
    Give it time. A lot of schools have only been back a week and a half. Trouble is, the resilience schools have for mass absence is minimal.
  • He looks serious in his twitter pic, and about 18.
  • eek said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not sure this is even news.

Both my sons daughter 8 and my daughters son 11 have been told not to attend school due to colds.

The schools (different) both remain fully open

Well that's a high bar for general merriment tbf - you having dysentery.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited September 2020

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

LadyG?
  • Barnesian said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

LadyG?
    No, I think 'her' prose pyrotechnics would be instantly recognizable.
    eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

It's someone who normally posts with much gravitas and who therefore does not want to be associated with light entertainment.

HYUFD would be my bet. Or possibly Big_G.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    kinabalu said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

It's someone who normally posts with much gravitas and who therefore does not want to be associated with light entertainment.

Not your good self :wink:
  • kinabalu said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

I am not clever enough to write a header but so kind of you to think of me
  • Pulpstar said:
    Is anybody heading for Europe

And Jonny Bairstow 6 for 101 no
    kinabalu said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

Now that is funny.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Pulpstar said:

Lots of freight does every day Big_G
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Lots of freight does every day Big_G
    Yes but the headline was motorists
  • 4 Yorkshire cricketers test positive for covid
  • Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

Does not sound like either, Dura Ace or LadyG incarnation
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Barnesian said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

LadyG?
    Not someone I would have thought would be shy about taking the byline - although possibly under a pseudonym...

Clearly @TSE , prevented by his 'legendary modesty' from taking the credit :wink:

4 Yorkshire cricketers test positive for covid

Do they have any significant matches left this season?
  • Andy_JS said:

The T20 blast is ongoing. They had these players (yesterday?) waiting outside the ground hoping for a negative result to play against Lancashire and lost without them.
  • Andy_JS said:

I do not know to be honest
  • novanova Posts: 525

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not sure this is even news.

Both my sons daughter 8 and my daughters son 11 have been told not to attend school due to colds.

The schools (different) both remain fully open
    I'd be amazed if it's true - it was 40 in Greater Manchester alone last week. 740 would be well under 1% of kids, even if they were all whole year closures. Still, even 40 "year bubbles" in Greater Manchester a week, would mean that most kids would miss less than 10% of classes.

I believe headteachers have been told that it will be week three that any school related transmission kicks in, but if it could be kept to 740 a week, and the partial closures keep the spread at bay, that would be fantastic. I guess we'll find out soon if that's the case, or this is just the start of things getting worse.
  • Barnesian said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Jolly good stuff.

LadyG?
    No, I think 'her' prose pyrotechnics would be instantly recognizable.
    It's too early in the day for sufficient creative lubricants to have been taken onboard.
This discussion has been closed.