Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Leave it to Cummings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    That's excellent. Thanks to the PB regular who wrote it!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770

Pulpstar said:
    And Jonny Bairstow 6 for 101 no
    You just had to say it didn't you! :D
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Pulpstar said:
    You just had to say it didn't you! :D
    Sorry
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Hearing that a lockdown of Tyneside LAs will be announced within the next 24 hours... I hope it is not true.
  • Options
    What idiots normally ride up this cycle path they are currently going up in the tour de france?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    @Cyclefree for me. Vaguely amusing without threatening my aching sides much.
  • Options
    Look at all the crowds.....anybody told them their is a pandemic on?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@Cyclefree for me. Vaguely amusing without threatening my aching sides much.

So infinity better than the Mash Report.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    You're supposed to rub lucky charms, aren't you?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    Is anybody heading for Europe

Is this another dodgy pitch or not enough runs? Can't really see Australia collapsing like that twice in a row.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Is this another dodgy pitch or not enough runs? Can't really see Australia collapsing like that twice in a row.
    Decent pitch - just a bit hard going after you're 0 for 2.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

The ball to take Bairstow spun like crazy
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,192
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Well I enjoyed the header.
    Jolly good stuff.

Yes: "sprawled and desolately flapping like a mackerel in a bucket, Cummings entered as if twirling a black cape".

Cyclefree, I`m guessing. Meeks is my second guess.
    But both regularly post under their own names. I suspect it is someon who has not posted a header before.
    It's someone who normally posts with much gravitas and who therefore does not want to be associated with light entertainment.

HYUFD would be my bet. Or possibly Big_G.
    Not your good self :wink:
    Ha. No - this piece is more lyrical and learned than my satire.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,811

Hearing that a lockdown of Tyneside LAs will be announced within the next 24 hours... I hope it is not true.

If Tyneside goes, I'd guess that Warrington, Merseyside, Leeds - indeed much of the remainder of the urban North, go (back) too.
  • Options
    London 'could introduce curfews to prevent second coronavirus wave'

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-curfew-coronavirus-a4548646.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

It's a different pitch than the one they played on Sunday, so I guess not been used as much.
  • Options
    4k new cases reported, this is now looking like it's getting out of control again. Government needs to seriously consider looking at risk segmentation or we're heading for a second national lockdown which is going to absolutely destroy the economy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

If they can get 40 off the last 5 that will be decent without being explosive but after a start like that it would be excellent. Pity Buttler has not really fired this series.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

4k new cases reported, this is now looking like it's getting out of control again. Government needs to seriously consider looking at risk segmentation or we're heading for a second national lockdown which is going to absolutely destroy the economy.

But they are still pressing ahead with people at the footy...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    MaxPB said:

What's 'risk segmentation?'

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,613
    edited September 2020
    Not if their elderly relatives are self-isolating, which is what they're supposed to be doing anyway. (Lord Sumption's argument, pretty much).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    If he would only drop the relentless and transparent bullshitting I would not be so down on him. It's his very worst trait for me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

If they can get 40 off the last 5 that will be decent without being explosive but after a start like that it would be excellent. Pity Buttler has not really fired this series.
    Yes, it's all a bit of a struggle.
    Still, if we lose more wickets we at least get to see the slightly strange but highly entertaining batting of Rashid.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Lock down the old and other high risk of death groups, everyone else get on with life and limit contact with the former group to the absolute minimum.
  • Options
    England miss Stokes so much. Not only his ability to play a variety of roles with the bat, but we don't have to pick 5 bowlers.
  • Options
    If Boris wants something familiar to fret about - buses. Another thing that seem to have hit predictable problems with schools and colleges going back.

My son's pass was a late application (August birthday, see), so I'm still doing WfH drops anyway, but I think many of the college students have given up and are trekking the 2.5 miles into town - I've seen buses running at standing capacity again, then others declaring full on the display with the social distancing rules still applied.

I guess he'll cope - his 3.5 mile walk back when I don't pick up is almost entirely downhill (I've not sent him there yet). I'd hate to see what the the carnage is like on the student trains though, or whether those students are even getting in to their onsite college lessons at all.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Still, if we lose more wickets we at least get to see the slightly strange but highly entertaining batting of Rashid.
    I'm blaming you for that.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Not if their elderly relatives are self-isolating, which is what they're supposed to be doing anyway. (Lord Sumption's argument, pretty much).
    He's an elderly relative himself.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    If he would only drop the relentless and transparent bullshitting I would not be so down on him. It's his very worst trait for me.
    Fair comment
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Lock down the old and other high risk of death groups, everyone else get on with life and limit contact with the former group to the absolute minimum.
    The limit contact with others is being totally lost in the rule of 6. Everybody get upset about little Johnny can't have 5 mates round, when the issue is you don't want to have 5 mates one day, 5 different ones the next, etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

I regretted it as soon as I posted.
    Reverse swinging yorkers are hard to play, though.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Sweden was right to put two fingers up to us
    Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/sweden-was-right-to-put-two-fingers-up-to-us-2cc5gw286

Jeez, yet more fantasy bollocks from people who desperately want to believe it could all just go away.

The "85,000 deaths predicted by the Imperial Model" was always bollocks; anyone with half a brain could see that given that their previously published spreadsheet had a maximum of 83,000 deaths with no mitigations applied by the Government or populace at an R0 of 3.0. So how in God's name could the mitigations they did come up with increase the death toll? Sort of breaks the first rule of plausibility, doesn't it?

And none of these fantasists bother to compare Sweden with its neighbours - Norway and Finland. Both of which locked down early, both of which released restrictions to a greater extent than Sweden since then, both of which have death tolls under 10% per capita of the Swedish ones, and both of which have done significantly better economically.

But no. That doesn't matter. There are enough people who desperately want to believe that Sweden somehow managed to keep all freedoms, did so much better than anywhere else economically and in terms of death toll, that they'll swallow any old shite.

It's the children of the World War II warriors who most fall into this category. The ones who idolised their parents and their fight against the odds - yet who have faced their own test with an instant retreat into one or another of denialism, or to try to find some way to surrender and collaborate with a mindless virus.

"It's not that bad!"
    "If we just let it go through, we'll be fine!"
    "It's not actually happening at all - something something 'flu something would have died soon anyway"
    "SWEDEN!"
    "I don't want my way of life to change for even a few months; let someone else pay the price, I'll be okay!"

They have been weighed, they have been measured, and they have been found wanting.
    In Sweden they will soon go to 500 people being allowed to gather together

We are at six

That is what people see and what they notice.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A good explanation of one such model here:

https://davidkatzmd.com/coronavirus-information-and-resources/
  • Options
    I would have sent Archer rather than Rashid in and see if he could connect with a few big balls.
  • Options

I would have sent Archer rather than Rashid in and see if he could connect with a few big balls.

When Archer goes in the next batsman is as well standing on the boundary.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/sweden-was-right-to-put-two-fingers-up-to-us-2cc5gw286

Jeez, yet more fantasy bollocks from people who desperately want to believe it could all just go away.

The "85,000 deaths predicted by the Imperial Model" was always bollocks; anyone with half a brain could see that given that their previously published spreadsheet had a maximum of 83,000 deaths with no mitigations applied by the Government or populace at an R0 of 3.0. So how in God's name could the mitigations they did come up with increase the death toll? Sort of breaks the first rule of plausibility, doesn't it?

And none of these fantasists bother to compare Sweden with its neighbours - Norway and Finland. Both of which locked down early, both of which released restrictions to a greater extent than Sweden since then, both of which have death tolls under 10% per capita of the Swedish ones, and both of which have done significantly better economically.

But no. That doesn't matter. There are enough people who desperately want to believe that Sweden somehow managed to keep all freedoms, did so much better than anywhere else economically and in terms of death toll, that they'll swallow any old shite.

It's the children of the World War II warriors who most fall into this category. The ones who idolised their parents and their fight against the odds - yet who have faced their own test with an instant retreat into one or another of denialism, or to try to find some way to surrender and collaborate with a mindless virus.

"It's not that bad!"
    "It's not actually happening at all - something something 'flu something would have died soon anyway"
    "SWEDEN!"
    "I don't want my way of life to change for even a few months; let someone else pay the price, I'll be okay!"

They have been weighed, they have been measured, and they have been found wanting.
    Rather nailed it there, Andy. Don't expect we'll be hearing anymore about Sweden now.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

All of them? I'm working in Newcastle tomorrow.
  • Options
    Pretty obvious that government ought to have financed this in the first place if they were going to build it. Would have saved a couple of years messing around, and likely quite a bit of cash.

UK government could take stake in Sizewell nuclear power station
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54181748

Better building some large tidal barrages, of course.
  • Options

What idiots normally ride up this cycle path they are currently going up in the tour de france?

Frankly I'd be knackered in a taxi.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

But they are still pressing ahead with people at the footy...
    Tbh, if it's outdoors and limited to younger, healthy people I don't see why it would be an issue, especially at 1,000 people in a 60k seater stadium. I think we're at a stage where a relatively controlled outbreak among the young and healthy is probably desirable. The issue is the government doesn't have the balls to tell oldies that they need to stay indoor at all times or risk £3.2k fines.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

Rather nailed it there, Andy. Don't expect we'll be hearing anymore about Sweden now.
    Sweden are going to 500 people being allowed to gather together.

We are at six. Swedish people meet, drink, hug, exercise and presumably f8ck unhindered by their government

That's all that matters. That's what's happening in Sweden. Now. That's what people will see. How can this be? How can they do this?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,810
    The Neill Amendment means zip because the government will just put a 3 line whip on Tory MPs where they’ll vote to trigger the controversial clauses .

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Pretty obvious that government ought to have financed this in the first place if they were going to build it. Would have saved a couple of years messing around, and likely quite a bit of cash.

I like this short to the point paragraph:

"There was a time when a Conservative government would have been very reluctant to take a direct stake in a commercial development. That time has passed."
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The Neill Amendment means zip because the government will just put a 3 line whip on Tory MPs where they’ll vote to trigger the controversial clauses .

The answer is for the EU not to make it necessary
  • Options
    England will have to bowl Australia out again.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

In Sweden they will soon go to 500 people being allowed to gather together

We are at six

That is what people see and what they notice.
    France is at 5000. And look at them.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Nigelb said:

I like this short to the point paragraph:

"There was a time when a Conservative government would have been very reluctant to take a direct stake in a commercial development. That time has passed."
    Building a nuclear power station is not a commercial development.
    That might change if any of the mini nukes work out, but these large plants were never a commercial proposition, and likely never will be.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There are elements in the idea you can take, thus shielding, but even if you could seal everything off elsewhere, full segmentation in hospitals and care homes remains a challenge.

Ultimately, even if you can do some of this, you cannot avoid the conclusion that society is, unavoidably, a poorly clad structure, and if you allow people total freedom to set fires on the lower floors, you should inevitably expect those fires to find a way to travel upwards.
  • Options
    Interesting in the questioning then between the Scottish Nationalist and the PM that the PM pointedly and repeatedly refused to answer the question as to whether he would refuse to grant a Section 30 Order following the next Holyrood election, instead sticking to the line that it hasn't been a generation but refusing to actually answer the question.

Very different to what HYUFD says here. He's absolutely not ruling out granting a S30 order, quite appropriately really as it surely depends upon how the election goes?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

That's such a huge waste of money. Nuclear is a rubbish and antiquated technology. We'd be better off with tidal barrages, offshore wind and solar. The latter two coupled with the mine shaft energy storage system that now looks viable. I'd also funnel money into laser fusion and pull out of ITER completely if we haven't already. The Tokamak looks like a cul-de-sac to me and ITER just looks like a French job creation scheme.
  • Options
    Now that's what I meant about Rashid. :smile:
    Of course he'll be out next ball he faces after this comment.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

We are at six. Swedish people meet, drink, hug, exercise and presumably f8ck unhindered by their government

That's all that matters. That's what's happening in Sweden. Now. That's what people will see. How can this be? How can they do this?
    Speaks someone that has clearly never been to Sweden.
  • Options

Interesting in the questioning then between the Scottish Nationalist and the PM that the PM pointedly and repeatedly refused to answer the question as to whether he would refuse to grant a Section 30 Order following the next Holyrood election, instead sticking to the line that it hasn't been a generation but refusing to actually answer the question.

Very different to what HYUFD says here. He's absolutely not ruling out granting a S30 order, quite appropriately really as it surely depends upon how the election goes?

I think we can say HYUFD will swerve if necessary
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

That's such a huge waste of money. Nuclear is a rubbish and antiquated technology. We'd be better off with tidal barrages, offshore wind and solar. The latter two coupled with the mine shaft energy storage system that now looks viable. I'd also funnel money into laser fusion and pull out of ITER completely if we haven't already. The Tokamak looks like a cul-de-sac to me and ITER just looks like a French job creation scheme.
    Agreed
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,380
    UK cases by specimen date -

• Options
    UK Cases by specimen date, scaled to 100k population

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    300 up
  • Options
    UK deaths, by day of death

• Options
    302 must be a good score with 0 - 2 start
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options

Imagine what they would have got if Billings and Bairstow had stayed in for another 5-6 overs.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,238
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

This is the Swedish government advice about sexual relationships.

"Our general guidelines state that people should maintain a physical distance from other people to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, particularly outside their immediate circles. Closeness, intimacy and sex promote well-being and a general good state of health. In a steady relationship, where people are already seeing each other and are close, sex is not precluded provided you or your partner/s are not showing any symptoms of illness. However, dating and casual sexual relationships with new partners put you at risk of being infected or of infecting others."

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/

You have an idea about Sweden that is a complete fantasy. There is an argument that it would be preferable for the government to provide advice, rather than pass laws, but it seems that the people of Sweden are more prepared to follow advice, rather than insist on being forced to act by laws as in the UK.

And, compared to their peers in Norway and Finland they have paid a high price for this different approach.
  • Options

UK hospitals

Hospital admissions picking up now.
  • Options
    @Malmesbury thanks for doing the positivity charts again, it looks to me like the positivity rate is dropping off in recent days despite the fact that case numbers are not dropping off, I wonder why?

Is that because there's more tests being done?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

All that matters to us British is that 500 Swedes can gather together on the rare occasion that they wish to? I really do doubt this.

But anyway, Ok, I was dead wrong. We are still hearing about Sweden. Just 2 minutes after I said we wouldn't be, in fact.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928

UK hospitals

Looks like wee Jimmy is doing a good job ?
  • Options
    Asked by Hilary Benn if he believes the EU are negotiating in good faith or not, the PM responded:

“Alas, I don’t believe they are… It is always possible that I am mistaken. Perhaps they will prove my suspicions wrong.”
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

That's such a huge waste of money. Nuclear is a rubbish and antiquated technology....
    It is.
    But as long as we're wedded to being a nuclear power, we'll keep building them.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

I regretted it as soon as I posted.
    Reverse swinging yorkers are hard to play, though.
    Starc is just world class. Probably the best limited overs bowler around at the moment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

UK hospitals

Looks like wee Jimmy is doing a good job ?
    Isn't that just the change in how the Scots measure the numbers the other day? Like how when PHE fixed its data?

So the UK-wide number hospitalised will be up on what it was, despite the graph saying otherwise, as the Scottish figure was inflated but isn't now.
  • Options

@Malmesbury thanks for doing the positivity charts again, it looks to me like the positivity rate is dropping off in recent days despite the fact that case numbers are not dropping off, I wonder why?

No it's not because more tests are being done, the same number are being done, the positivity rate is going up. Part of this is, IMO, that people who are meant to be isolating are not doing so properly and are causing further community spread after a positive test result because they may be asymptomatic and "feel fine". I think there is also a lot of cases being imported at the moment from red list countries and those people are not isolating properly either.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

"Our general guidelines state that people should maintain a physical distance from other people to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, particularly outside their immediate circles. Closeness, intimacy and sex promote well-being and a general good state of health. In a steady relationship, where people are already seeing each other and are close, sex is not precluded provided you or your partner/s are not showing any symptoms of illness. However, dating and casual sexual relationships with new partners put you at risk of being infected or of infecting others."

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/

You have an idea about Sweden that is a complete fantasy. There is an argument that it would be preferable for the government to provide advice, rather than pass laws, but it seems that the people of Sweden are more prepared to follow advice, rather than insist on being forced to act by laws as in the UK.

And, compared to their peers in Norway and Finland they have paid a high price for this different approach.
    This isn't over yet. Sweden are running a marathon not a sprint as Tegnell says.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Very good header.
  • Options

Imagine what they would have got if Billings and Bairstow had stayed in for another 5-6 overs.
    A bit greedy maybe
  • Options
    edited September 2020

UK hospitals

Pivotal moment.
    PM is correct to say second lockdown would be disastrous.
    Which makes losing control of testing right this moment, and then directing all energies to picking a fight with Brussels, then on a Parliamentary vote precious no-one understood, the single most egregious error of the pandemic so far.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

It strikes me that what the Swedes have done is treat their citizens like responsible adults.

What most other governments in the West have done is treat their citizens like naughty children who cannot be trusted.

And so that's how they behave.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

My thanks, but I doubt it will end anything. When people are that desperate to believe something, they’ll find a way; facts or reality don’t stop them. Anything from making things up, to quibbling about something irrelevant, to simply ignoring it and waiting a short while before blaring it out again.

It all boils down to “I want this disruption to not be a thing any more, and I don’t want to be scared.”
    Indeed. Imagine that, people not wishing to live their lives in fear.
  • Options
    By the way, has anyone seen or heard of a single "Covid Marshall" actually being deployed?
    Anywhere?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

My thanks, but I doubt it will end anything. When people are that desperate to believe something, they’ll find a way; facts or reality don’t stop them. Anything from making things up, to quibbling about something irrelevant, to simply ignoring it and waiting a short while before blaring it out again.

It all boils down to “I want this disruption to not be a thing any more, and I don’t want to be scared.”
    My sense is that fearfulness is typically greater in those who advocate for tight national lockdowns, rather than those who advocate for alternative strategies such as risk segmentation.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No it's not because more tests are being done, the same number are being done, the positivity rate is going up. Part of this is, IMO, that people who are meant to be isolating are not doing so properly and are causing further community spread after a positive test result because they may be asymptomatic and "feel fine". I think there is also a lot of cases being imported at the moment from red list countries and those people are not isolating properly either.
    Unless I'm misreading the graph it shot up on 7/9 but has fallen daily since then and is back to 0.13% on 14/9 which is a third of what it was on 7/9
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

My sense is that fearfulness is typically greater in those who advocate for tight national lockdowns, rather than those who advocate for alternative strategies such as risk segmentation.
    My sense is rather different. The denialists have been loud from Day 1, and what drives denialism?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We're asking contacts of a confirmed case to isolate for 14 days, even if they don't have symptoms, in order to control asymptomatic spread, but not then testing these people. I think a lot of them are rationalizing a failure to self-isolate on the basis that if they don't know they're infected they shouldn't have to do so.

Without the test of contacts it also means we don't know whether their contacts (the contacts of contacts) should also be isolating.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

Are you feeling fearful, Contrarian?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

This isn't over yet. Sweden are running a marathon not a sprint as Tegnell says.
    The Swedish model is predicated on not finding a vaccine for around two years, it isn't a marathon because it's highly likely that one of the 7 candidates now in PIII trials will work and a vaccine will be available to developed nations with domestic manufacturing in H1 next year. The trials of the aerosolised version of the Oxford vaccine could produce a delivery method that gives almost full immunity in a form factor that is cheap and easy to distribute, that could be ready by the middle of next year depending on how the trials go, but that has already started too.

Sweden's model is far too negative, it assumed everything will always be crap so we'll just have to live with it. On the flip side I think the NZ model of full eradication comes with a huge economic sacrifice and inability of people to live normally for far too long. Our model is just rubbish in general, frankly it doesn't seem as though we have one. The German model seems to be working best, open what is possible to open, keep the schools running, keep socialising to small groups and mainly outdoors and put in properly tough rules on isolation and quarantine. Ours are a joke.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

Indeed. But denialism and attempted surrender inevitably end up with a worse fate than otherwise. It is often the case that those who run from their fear end up facing it in a far worse position.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

Not from me. I have been one of those banging on about Sweden on here, because I don't feel our government nor science advisors is paying any/enough attention to the SW strategy. And not because I want it all to just go away. Because we have/are enduring the worst restrictions of individual freedom outside wartime than have been seen in at least living memory and because we are self-destructing our economy.

Their death rate is higher than near neighbours because like us they f*cked up their care home response.

It's no good saying everyone with half a brain would ignore Ferguson's model predictions: we still have a ministerial team who are reacting to his model predictions even now when to the best of anyone's knowledge that I have seen or read no new adjustments or account has been made in the model for what actually happened.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited September 2020
    Andy_JS said:
    If there is a sign of a crisis in hospitals it is already weeks too late to do anything. Quite why people can't see this is beyond me.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

UK hospitals

Pivotal moment.
    PM is correct to say second lockdown would be disastrous.
    Which makes losing control of testing right this moment, and then directing all energies to picking a fight with Brussels, then on a Parliamentary vote precious no-one understood, the single most egregious error of the pandemic so far.
    The pivotal moment will come when the virus has not completely disappeared, there are several millions unemployed in our country, the economy has tanked because of lockdown measures and massive cuts and tax rises are necessary to even try to make ends meet. |Cuts that will of course have to include the NHS.

Its only then that the choice we have faced all along in this pandemic will be apparent to everybody.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,894

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

"It's not that bad!"
    "SWEDEN!"

In Brandenburg it has been up to 1000 people for a couple of months now.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Unless I'm misreading the graph it shot up on 7/9 but has fallen daily since then and is back to 0.13% on 14/9 which is a third of what it was on 7/9
    That's a specimen date graph, the last 7 days should be ignored because we don't have the full dataset yet.
This discussion has been closed.