Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Leave it to Cummings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Could the Gov't use this legislation to overrule the Court of Session with say a ruling allowing the Nats to bypass a section 30......... ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

rpjs said:

What matters is surely getting this onto statute. If this becomes statute then it is the law.

If the EU don't want a dispute maybe they should compromise and so not give us a reason to trigger this.
    "Maybe if she didn't keep provoking me I wouldn't hit her."
    The UK government standing up for all it's citizens of the UK and not being exploited by foreign actors acting in bad faith to put divisions between GB and NI is not equivalent to a man beating up a woman.

The UK governments job is to stand up for its citizens first and foremost.
    That was certainly the PM's view - Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain that is, in September 1938.

Bojo likes to flaunt his admiration for Winston Churchill, same as his role model Trumpsky. So ironic that both PM and POTUS are bending backwards to help implement Putinist game plan, all the while proclaiming themselves to be anti-appeasers.
    How is Boris appeasing the EU? I think he's doing the opposite.
    Never said he BoJo was appeasing EU - he's appeasing Vald the Poisoner, just like Trumpsky.
    He's doing nothing to appease Russia and Russia isn't the country the threat to us that the EU are right now.

Russia is the geopolitical equivalent of 4chan losers trying to stir shit online but not actually doing anything outside of their basement.
    Well I always thought you were a Russian bot!

You have just proved my point. The EU more dangerous than Russia indeed.
    The EU are trying to subjugate us into following their rules, claim our sovereign natural resources and enforce a hard division within our country.
    :D:D

Good grief.
  • Options

rpjs said:

What matters is surely getting this onto statute. If this becomes statute then it is the law.

If the EU don't want a dispute maybe they should compromise and so not give us a reason to trigger this.
    The UK government standing up for all it's citizens of the UK and not being exploited by foreign actors acting in bad faith to put divisions between GB and NI is not equivalent to a man beating up a woman.

That was certainly the PM's view - Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain that is, in September 1938.

Bojo likes to flaunt his admiration for Winston Churchill, same as his role model Trumpsky. So ironic that both PM and POTUS are bending backwards to help implement Putinist game plan, all the while proclaiming themselves to be anti-appeasers.
    Never said he BoJo was appeasing EU - he's appeasing Vald the Poisoner, just like Trumpsky.
    He's doing nothing to appease Russia and Russia isn't the country the threat to us that the EU are right now.

Russia is the geopolitical equivalent of 4chan losers trying to stir shit online but not actually doing anything outside of their basement.
    Weakening and (if possible) destroying first EU, then NATO, is THE prime directive of Putinism. And both BoJo & Trumpsky are both working overtime to achieve this, whether they realize it or not.

Just like Neville Chamberlain was working overtime to further the Nazi prime directive. Fact that he was oblivious does NOT exculpate.
    I couldn't give a crap what Russia's directives are. They are a shitty country being ran into the ground by Putin. They have bet everything on oil and gas and Putin is destroying his country as it becomes a failed state.

Germany in the 30s was an industrialising threat to the world capable of conquering Europe and rapidly producing goods and armaments and invading western Europe.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    In a nutshell, because it will make absolutely no difference to Pelosi or Barnier.
  • Options

Compromise with the UK breaking an agreement it formally ratified - under this very same PM who told us it was a wonderful deal - just nine months ago? There is no room for compromise there,. However, they will want to proceed slowly and not blow things up, partly in order not to give Boris an excuse to blame them for the chaos he is causing, and partly in the hope that, if they keep things cool, the UK might come to its senses. But mostly they are simply bemused at what on earth is going on.
    Another thing that makes compromise a bit more problematic is the change in the Irish taoiseach. I've been learning over the last few weeks just how much of a ditherer Micháel Martin is.

He's been slow to sack ministers. He launched a new Covid plan with five levels and immediately put Dublin on level two-and-a-bit. My father-in-law tells me this is part of a pattern of behaviour that stretches back to his time as a minister in the previous FF government.

Now that any last-minute trade deal will involve a larger Irish dimension, due to the loss of trust over the NI protocol, HMG need a nimble and flexible counter-party to negotiate with.

Martin is not Varadker. The potential for it to go unintentionally wrong in the latter stages is increased.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rpjs said:

Thank God PB has no equivalent to those 4chan losers.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited September 2020
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

It seems once again the lecture on how to read polls needs to be wheeled out with reference to the midweek blizzard of US data.

Rasmussen has of course attracted everyone's attention by showing Trump leading Biden 47-46. Needless to say, we can't see Rasmussen's crosstabs because they are behind a paywall but they claim a 2% Margin of Error (MoE) having polled 2500 Likely voters so the true values are Biden (44-48) and Trump (45-49) so in effect a dead heat or a 3-point Biden lead or a 5-point Trump lead.

This is why those who trumpet this pollster or that pollster "got it right" in 2016 are talking so much unadulterated crap. Most of the pollsters got the final vote right within MoE. Monmouth had Clinton winning 50-44 in their final poll with a 3% MoE. The Economist/YouGov had Clinton winning 49-45 with a 1.7% MoE so both were correct within the range of possible results.

Rasmussen's daily Presidential approval has Trump at +6 (52-46) whereas both Gallup and YouGov have very different numbers with the latter at -9 and the former at -14 so it's a significant divergence. Some will claim pollsters like Rasmussen and Trafalgar are somehow able to "find" "shy" Trump voters in a way other pollsters can't. Others might argue they are simply over-sampling pro-Trump groups.

The Economist/YouGov poll doesn't skimp on its crosstabs:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/t0hi1tcqs5/econTabReport.pdf

Biden leads 50-41 among Registered voters and 51-42 among Likely voters. Trump leads White voters 49-42 but that's a 7% swing to Biden since 2016 and that's in the biggest voting demographic. Among Hispanics Biden leads 64-25 (compared with Clinton's 65-29 last time) but it's got 10% Undecided so a significant group of voters to win over.

The sample split among Registered voters is 40% Democrat, 35% Independent (backing Biden 41-37 but with 15% Undecided so again another group for the activists) and 25% Republican.

Margin of Error is 3.7% on a sample size of 1190 voters.

Elsewhere, the Hill/Harris X poll has Biden up 45-39.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/516570-poll-trump-trails-biden-by-6-points-nationally

This is a large poll by American standards of 3758 voters with a 1.6% MoE. Worth noting the fall off in Biden's lead among seniors but that seems to have been less a direct move to Trump than a move to the Undecideds.

Almost all polls are always right within MOE, that is just pollsters covering their backs, it is the headline poll number that matters and on which their record can be judged
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Some very intriguing polling from Quinnipiac

https://poll.qu.edu/south-carolina/release-detail?ReleaseID=3673

Lindsey Graham made a thing out his opponent not releasing his tax returns.

Seriously.

Of course Harrison did release his tax returns and then asked where Trump's where.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Either I'm missing Grayling's talents or this is just straight up cronyism.
  • Options
    Told you all Jos Buttler is a shit keeper, especially against spinners.
  • Options

rpjs said:

The EU are trying to subjugate us into following their rules, claim our sovereign natural resources and enforce a hard division within our country.

Good grief.
    Which one of those points can you refute?

They're all factual.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

It seems once again the lecture on how to read polls needs to be wheeled out with reference to the midweek blizzard of US data.

Rasmussen has of course attracted everyone's attention by showing Trump leading Biden 47-46. Needless to say, we can't see Rasmussen's crosstabs because they are behind a paywall but they claim a 2% Margin of Error (MoE) having polled 2500 Likely voters so the true values are Biden (44-48) and Trump (45-49) so in effect a dead heat or a 3-point Biden lead or a 5-point Trump lead.

This is why those who trumpet this pollster or that pollster "got it right" in 2016 are talking so much unadulterated crap. Most of the pollsters got the final vote right within MoE. Monmouth had Clinton winning 50-44 in their final poll with a 3% MoE. The Economist/YouGov had Clinton winning 49-45 with a 1.7% MoE so both were correct within the range of possible results.

Rasmussen's daily Presidential approval has Trump at +6 (52-46) whereas both Gallup and YouGov have very different numbers with the latter at -9 and the former at -14 so it's a significant divergence. Some will claim pollsters like Rasmussen and Trafalgar are somehow able to "find" "shy" Trump voters in a way other pollsters can't. Others might argue they are simply over-sampling pro-Trump groups.

Biden leads 50-41 among Registered voters and 51-42 among Likely voters. Trump leads White voters 49-42 but that's a 7% swing to Biden since 2016 and that's in the biggest voting demographic. Among Hispanics Biden leads 64-25 (compared with Clinton's 65-29 last time) but it's got 10% Undecided so a significant group of voters to win over.

The sample split among Registered voters is 40% Democrat, 35% Independent (backing Biden 41-37 but with 15% Undecided so again another group for the activists) and 25% Republican.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/516570-poll-trump-trails-biden-by-6-points-nationally

This is a large poll by American standards of 3758 voters with a 1.6% MoE. Worth noting the fall off in Biden's lead among seniors but that seems to have been less a direct move to Trump than a move to the Undecideds.

Almost all polls are always right within MOE, that is just pollsters covering their backs, it is the headline poll number that matters and on which their record can be judged
    So Rasmussen were wrong in 2016 based on their headline numbers, right?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1306262764533542918

Anyone want to offer me odds on it being one of Trafalgar or Rasmussen ?
    Edit: Rasmussen

The pollster whose final 2016 poll correctly had Hillary 2% ahead in the popular vote?
    So, a couple of articles / posts that people might want to read / consider. Up front, these are articles that raise questions about Biden being the firm favourite, so look away now if you don't want to read.

First of all, the USC Dornsife poll which has seen a noticeable fall in the Biden lead in the past several days - from 12.2% on Sep 11th to 7.1% on Sep 15th

https://election.usc.edu/
    It is a tracker with a rotating panel. If you look 10 days previously almost exactly the same cycle played out, from huge Biden lead to tightening the into the current cycle.
    Not disagreeing with you Alistair, I'm waiting to see what happens next. But a few days back, people on here were quoting the 12 point lead Biden had as a sign his lead was holding up.
    Multiple high-quality polls have given Biden a lead of 8+ points in Minnesota in recent days. Thats formidable a mere six weeks from the election when there are so few undecided voters. It's arguable that MN should not be considered a swing state.

I agree with you that NV is worry for Biden however.
    Once I see the Voter registration numbers for Nevada then I will chose to be worried or not about Biden winning.

The polls for 2018 were horribly wrong for Nevada and pretty rank in 2016 (CNN/ORC had Trump winning by 6)
    On the conventional maps I don't think Nevada matters much, ie Biden wins without it if he can flip WI+MI+PA while holding MN, and if he loses any of those then holding Nevada too isn't enough.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Pulpstar said:

Either I'm missing Grayling's talents or this is just straight up cronyism.
    This is not an either/or case.
  • Options

LOL.

Yes but we need to be a bit careful chucking accusations around, especially on a demographic site where we do treat Blacks, Hispanics, Women and so on as homogenous blocs. Especially now we do not need to denigrate Jeremy Corbyn.

More curious and perhaps more revealing about President Trump's view of demographics and the transactional nature of politics and indeed life itself is when he explained that recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel was done to please the Evangelicals because it turned out the Jews did not care.
    'Fifty-nine percent of Jewish Israelis have a favorable opinion of the president, including more than 70 percent of Haredi Jews and non-Haredi religious Jews. Even among secular Israeli Jews, 45 percent have favorable views of Trump, and 30 percent have unfavorable views.

Israeli Jews strongly agree that Israel should have sovereignty over Jewish holy places and the Jewish Quarter of East Jerusalem (83 percent agree, 11 percent disagree) and the walled old city (74 percent agree, 19 percent disagree). But they are somewhat more divided on the issue of Israeli sovereignty over East Jerusalem’s Arab neighborhoods (51 percent agree that Israel should have sovereignty, 42 percent disagree). While those identifying themselves as non-Haredi religious Jews are the strongest advocates of Israeli sovereignty over Arab neighborhoods (74 percent), a majority of secularist Jews (56 percent) do not agree with such a move. '
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/14/israel-trump-embassy-jerusalem-poll-218368
  • Options

Looking up my Ladybird guide to antisemitism, isn't suggesting that Jews' primary loyalty is to Israel rather than the country in which they live one of the more egregious symptoms of this disease?
    Presumably Trump's country is Germany? That might explain his complex about Angela Merkel.
    Germans refused Trumpsky's citizenship to Trumpsky's granddaddy. On grounds he was a con artist and whoremonger.

Truly the apple did NOT fall far from the tree.
    Didn't Grandaddy Trump originally emigrate to avoid conscription? Yet more evidence of apples clustering at the tree roots.

On checking this on Wiki, I find that Papa Trump's full name was Frederick Christ Trump.

Christ.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194

rpjs said:

My views on Russia is that they are a crappy bordering on third world nation being ran into the ground.

Russia are nobodies who can't do anything because they're a weak impoverished country that can't afford to do anything of any note.
    Paragraph 2 is withering nonsense. Anyway, I don't want to debate this with a Russian bot.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Could the Gov't use this legislation to overrule the Court of Session with say a ruling allowing the Nats to bypass a section 30......... ?
    Lord knows.

I suspect SCOTUK will be final arbiter on the next Indyref.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

So Rasmussen were wrong in 2016 based on their headline numbers, right?
    Based on their 2% final Clinton lead no
  • Options

rpjs said:

Good grief.

They're all factual.
    :D They're not factual in any way man. Get a grip.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The second wave in Spain looks absolutely terrible. The government needs to start working very hard to avoid this situation because it will result in a second national lockdown and throwing away all of our economic recovery because the government is too scared to tell old people to stay indoors and has incompetents in charge of the testing system.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Seriously.

Of course Harrison did release his tax returns and then asked where Trump's where.
    Lady G Is the approved name on PB for the senator for SC.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Lord knows.

I suspect SCOTUK will be final arbiter on the next Indyref.
    Westminster statute can overrule SCOTUK
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

The second wave in Spain looks absolutely terrible. The government needs to start working very hard to avoid this situation because it will result in a second national lockdown and throwing away all of our economic recovery because the government is too scared to tell old people to stay indoors and has incompetents in charge of the testing system.

What are the figures for hospitalisations and deaths, there, compared to before ?
  • Options

rpjs said:

Weakening and (if possible) destroying first EU, then NATO, is THE prime directive of Putinism. And both BoJo & Trumpsky are both working overtime to achieve this, whether they realize it or not.

Just like Neville Chamberlain was working overtime to further the Nazi prime directive. Fact that he was oblivious does NOT exculpate.
    I couldn't give a crap what Russia's directives are. They are a shitty country being ran into the ground by Putin. They have bet everything on oil and gas and Putin is destroying his country as it becomes a failed state.

Germany in the 30s was an industrialising threat to the world capable of conquering Europe and rapidly producing goods and armaments and invading western Europe.
    Methinks you are seriously under-estimating Putin's Russia, similar to how Hitler AND the West (esp. Chamberlain but NOT Churchill) seriously under-estimated Stalin's Russia.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

rpjs said:

Good grief.

They're all factual.
    And it's only the case because Boris signed a deal that made it possible replacing a deal where it wasn't possible
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    HYUFD said:

That's your view but it's a wholly random thing, a perfect storm of sampling and methodology on that day as a forecast for an event in the future. It's no more than that.

What I would be looking at is the degree to which the sampling mirrored the profile of the voter demographics.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    England are losing this. Desperately need a wicket.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,776
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Do we know who wrote the header yet? I was going with Cyclefree or Meeks but now I`m thinking SeanT.

Nah. The one thing he’s proven is that he only has the one distinctive writing style.
    the title is an allusion to the Jennings series, suggesting a male of a certain age. I reckon Sunil, who is rather fond of parodies.
    Viewcode?
    The reason why I don't post on PB much these days is due to several reasons, the latest and most stringest of which is my new employer's social media policy - "no politics, no financial advice, be kind" which kills me dead. This is why "Chronicle of a bet foretold" parts 3,4 and 5 are now unlikely to appear. If I publish anything on PB it would have to go thru Compliance, my boss, and my boss's boss (really) none of whom have a reputation for humour. Consequently I can confirm that the article above was not written by me in any sense.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The problem is that we're in the critical phase right now, and at the moment we need it, the testing system is failing.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    In a nutshell, because it will make absolutely no difference to Pelosi or Barnier.
    It does change things, it allows the blame to be shared by all Tory MPs
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1306294975840256003

Maine: Gideon+12 (Swing against Collins since 2014 of 24.5%), Biden+21 (9% swing since 2016)
    ME-02: Biden+9 (9% swing since 2016)
    SC: Tie, Trump+6 (8% swing against Graham since 2014, 4% swing to the Dems since 2016)
    Kentucky: McConnell+12, Trump+20 (2% swing against McConnell since 2014, 5% to the Dems since 2016)

If these polls are right, Biden is heading for a 349 - 189 win https://www.270towin.com/maps/l7Gjr
    Possibly more with Iowa and Texas very close.

Except Quinnipiac had Hillary winning Pennsylvania and Florida and North Carolina in 2016, Trump won them all
  • Options

rpjs said:

Good grief.

They're all factual.
    The EU trying to subjugate us into following their rules ... This is exactly what the so called "level playing field" is about. Ensuring we have dynamic alignment to follow their rules without getting a say in them. That is subjugation and colonialism.

Claim our sovereign natural resources ... Fish. You may not care about fish but they are our sovereign natural resource.

Enforce a hard division within our country ... Are you claiming they're not trying to enforce a border down the Irish Sea?

Fact. Fact. Fact. Three irrefutable facts.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    Although the u-turn makes no practical difference, it's interesting how easily BoZo and Cummings caved.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The problem is that we're in the critical phase right now, and at the moment we need it, the testing system is failing.
    Exactly, and that's because the government has put incompetents in charge of it. That decision is going to result in -10% GDP because it will lead to a second lockdown. I don't see how the government will survive a second lockdown. If I was Starmer I'd be pushing for Harding to step down now and replaced by a logistics expert, he needs to start having foresight if he's going to manage a sustainable poll lead.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Good grief.

They're all factual.
    The EU trying to subjugate us into following their rules ... This is exactly what the so called "level playing field" is about. Ensuring we have dynamic alignment to follow their rules without getting a say in them. That is subjugation and colonialism.

Claim our sovereign natural resources ... Fish. You may not care about fish but they are our sovereign natural resource.

Enforce a hard division within our country ... Are you claiming they're not trying to enforce a border down the Irish Sea?

I'm sorry but this is just all nonsense.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Seriously.

IF Lindsey Graham loses, it will be on account of Trumpsky voters who scratch him from their dance card.

Why? Because they have NOT forgotten that, before LG became a Trumpsky trumpet, he was John McCane's Mini Me and (pretended) to be a critic of The Donald.

Fact that he changed gears and did a 180 just while JMcC's body was still warm does NOT impress the hard-core Putinist - one of the very few things about which they & yours truly agree.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194
    Scott_xP said:

Although the u-turn makes no practical difference, it's interesting how easily BoZo and Cummings caved.

But they haven't really. There is a raft of chicanery that they can put in place to ensure it goes through parliament. What is more worrying is the rebels are dumb enough to believe them and have capitulated.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There's no guarantee we'll go the same way as Spain or France. If we do, it will largely be the fault of the public, some, indeed many, of whom choose to ignore some pretty basic and simple health and hygiene guidelines.

This notion of enforced risk segmentation is an incredibly dangerous path - whatever happened to community spirit and "we're all in this together"?

The testing system issue seems curious - I'm well aware the number of tests bears no resemblance to the number of people being tested but we also seem to have this notion that if a child feels a bit unwell, it's straight off for a Covid-19 test. The increased demand post-school return was predictable given how well germs and children interact but having seen how parents collecting their children were behaving last week I'm far from surprised.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

And in reality I don't think we've even seen half the damage from the first lockdown yet.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Good grief.

They're all factual.

I'm sorry but this is just all nonsense.
    If it's nonsense explain how it is nonsense. And simply saying nobody cares about fish doesn't make it nonsense.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Philip_Thompson you are essentially whining again.

We want tariff-free access to the single market.

The EU want tariff-free access to the UK market.
    The EU want access to "our" fish.
    The EU want protection against us leading a "race to the bottom".

What you are witnessing is a negotiation. What you are witnessing is a power imbalance, massively in favour of the EU. What on earth about this surprises you?

Oh yeah of course, "we hold all the cards" turned out to be utter tripe and yet you still claim that is true. It's ludicrous and makes you sound unhinged.

And NI, well that compromise was endorsed in the GE in December. Endorsed with a 80 seat majority. In fact only a month ago you were still claiming the deal meant "no border in the Irish Sea" despite us "remoaners" telling you otherwise, and that it was fantastic. Your shameless u-turn is just that.

And don't get me started on your laughable "colonialism" claim.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Methinks you are seriously under-estimating Putin's Russia, similar to how Hitler AND the West (esp. Chamberlain but NOT Churchill) seriously under-estimated Stalin's Russia.
    You think Putin could invade Western Europe?
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

There's no guarantee we'll go the same way as Spain or France.
    Almost 4k new cases today. How many people with borderline symptoms are missing out on tests at the moment and potentially exposing others?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fun theory: battle ground polls are widening in Biden's favour even as national polls narrow.

Currently it is all easily with MOE but if it develops into a trend then it would represent Trump piling up votes in safe red states.
  • Options

What you are witnessing is a negotiation. What you are witnessing is a power imbalance, massively in favour of the EU. What on earth about this surprises you?

Oh yeah of course, "we hold all the cards" turned out to be utter tripe and yet you still claim that is true. It's ludicrous and makes you sound unhinged.

And NI, well that compromise was endorsed in the GE in December. Endorsed with a 80 seat majority. In fact only a month ago you were still claiming the deal meant "no border in the Irish Sea" despite us "remoaners" telling you otherwise, and that it was fantastic. Your shameless u-turn is just that.

Your first statement is incorrect actually. The government has conceded that it's negotiating position on the LPF will result in some tariffs on some goods.
  • Options

rpjs said:

You think the Goths could conquer the Western Roman Empire?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Your first statement is incorrect actually. The government has conceded that it's negotiating position on the LPF will result in some tariffs on some goods.
    OK well thanks for the correction, but it doesn't change anything.
  • Options

The NE "lockdown" is actually really strict.

"ChronicleLive understands the restrictions will include a ban on socialising with anyone outside your household, whether in a private home or garden, in a public space such as a park, or in a venue such as a pub or restaurant."

Bollocks. You'll still be allowed to gan doon pub an' mingle wi' 80 of ya mates
  • Options

rpjs said:

You think the Goths could conquer the Western Roman Empire?
    The Western Roman Empire collapsed due to its own corruption, poor leadership and weaknesses. If you're comparing the EU to that then I will let you have that one.
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

There's no guarantee we'll go the same way as Spain or France. If we do, it will largely be the fault of the public, some, indeed many, of whom choose to ignore some pretty basic and simple health and hygiene guidelines.

This notion of enforced risk segmentation is an incredibly dangerous path - whatever happened to community spirit and "we're all in this together"?

The testing system issue seems curious - I'm well aware the number of tests bears no resemblance to the number of people being tested but we also seem to have this notion that if a child feels a bit unwell, it's straight off for a Covid-19 test. The increased demand post-school return was predictable given how well germs and children interact but having seen how parents collecting their children were behaving last week I'm far from surprised.
    The problem is that we're not all in together. Young people are having their life chances damaged and young people are going to pay the bill for it all. Older people are taking all the gains of this in healthcare terms and will be protected from paying for it with the triple lock, rental and pension incomes.

The idea that we're all in it together is a joke because we aren't. Young people are making the sacrifices and old people are benefiting from it. The unemployment figures already show this happening in practice.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

The UK is seeking a standard LPF for a standard trade agreement.

The EU is trying to subjugate us into following dynamically laws we don't vote on and have us as a subjugated part of their "sphere of influence". That is something Empires do not modern friendly nations.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Well it does because your basic premise is incorrect. The government doesn't want tariff free access to the single market, it wants a fairly standard off the shelf trade deal.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

The EU is trying to subjugate us into following dynamically laws we don't vote on and have us as a subjugated part of their "sphere of influence". That is something Empires do not modern friendly nations.
    There you are, whinging and whining again.
    That's all your childish ranting is.

"Boo hoo, the EU won't give us exactly what we want".

It's really rather funny to watch.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL.

Yes but we need to be a bit careful chucking accusations around, especially on a demographic site where we do treat Blacks, Hispanics, Women and so on as homogenous blocs. Especially now we do not need to denigrate Jeremy Corbyn.

More curious and perhaps more revealing about President Trump's view of demographics and the transactional nature of politics and indeed life itself is when he explained that recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel was done to please the Evangelicals because it turned out the Jews did not care.
    'Fifty-nine percent of Jewish Israelis have a favorable opinion of the president, including more than 70 percent of Haredi Jews and non-Haredi religious Jews. Even among secular Israeli Jews, 45 percent have favorable views of Trump, and 30 percent have unfavorable views.

Israeli Jews strongly agree that Israel should have sovereignty over Jewish holy places and the Jewish Quarter of East Jerusalem (83 percent agree, 11 percent disagree) and the walled old city (74 percent agree, 19 percent disagree). But they are somewhat more divided on the issue of Israeli sovereignty over East Jerusalem’s Arab neighborhoods (51 percent agree that Israel should have sovereignty, 42 percent disagree). While those identifying themselves as non-Haredi religious Jews are the strongest advocates of Israeli sovereignty over Arab neighborhoods (74 percent), a majority of secularist Jews (56 percent) do not agree with such a move. '
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/14/israel-trump-embassy-jerusalem-poll-218368
    Trumpsky is trying to win over Jewish AMERICANS, not Israelis. Esp. those registered to vote in FL, MI & PA which all have above-average shares of Jewish voters.

You may be surprised to learn, that Jewish American opinion is a wee bit different from Israeli Jewish opinion.

Personal note: years ago (1992) was working for a consultant who was doing mail for presidential hopeful Paul Tsongas in a number of key primary states, including Florida.

We prepared a series of mailing for PT aimed at likely Democratic primary voters in the Sunshine State, including Jewish voter in south FL. One mail piece for the latter featured Menachem Begin; can't remember exact details, but had a quote by Tsongas praising Begin or maybe visa versa.

Anyway, by the time the Florida primary campaign heated up, MB was very ill. The Tsongas campaign was quite eager to send out the Begin piece. BUT the guy I worked for had his doubts. It was a good piece alright - but what if Begin died just as it was hitting voters' mail boxes? He felt in his bones that the result would NOT be helpful to Tsongas, to put it mildly.

So he nixed the piece. As it turned out, Begin died the day before the 1992 Florida Primary. Which Tsongas lost anyway - but my boss had clearly made the correct decision.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Wonder if they will take bookings from St Petersburg?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-54177056
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Exactly, and that's because the government has put incompetents in charge of it. That decision is going to result in -10% GDP because it will lead to a second lockdown. I don't see how the government will survive a second lockdown. If I was Starmer I'd be pushing for Harding to step down now and replaced by a logistics expert, he needs to start having foresight if he's going to manage a sustainable poll lead.
    A second lockdown ought to be the end of the Johnson ministry (GNU under Hunt? May?), but then there's that scary YouGov poll upthread, where 90% of Conservative voters would blame the public over the government. UK political culture isn't as one-eyed as the US, but it's too close for comfort.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Fun theory: battle ground polls are widening in Biden's favour even as national polls narrow.

Currently it is all easily with MOE but if it develops into a trend then it would represent Trump piling up votes in safe red states.

My preferred result is Trump utterly humiliated in Biden landscape. But if that’s not possible what I’d like to see is Biden win the EC while Trump wins the popular vote.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

All it reflects is the national trend takes longer to filter into the state poll as the state polls sample is taken earlier
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Certainly sounds like an evil colonial empire to me.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

I'm not whinging I'm happy our Government is standing up for the UK.

If you think that the EU can powerplay to screw us over and subjugate us then the UK can use asymmetric power plays of our own like screwing them over by walking away from the NI Protocol. If they're a hostile state then all is fair.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

IIUC Biden is currently doing a lot of advertising (in swing states, obviously), while Trump's campaign spent too much on cocaine and is having to save up their money for the final push. If that's right then you'd expect the swing states to move back towards Trump as the election approaches and the ad spending evens out.

So it seems like the races is getting tighter, Biden is mostly level but some right-wing people are going back to Trump. But at the same time the clock is ticking down, so it probably isn't tightening fast enough...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A second lockdown ought to be the end of the Johnson ministry (GNU under Hunt? May?), but then there's that scary YouGov poll upthread, where 90% of Conservative voters would blame the public over the government. UK political culture isn't as one-eyed as the US, but it's too close for comfort.
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1306262582211248128?s=09
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The problem is that we're not all in together. Young people are having their life chances damaged and young people are going to pay the bill for it all. Older people are taking all the gains of this in healthcare terms and will be protected from paying for it with the triple lock, rental and pension incomes.

The idea that we're all in it together is a joke because we aren't. Young people are making the sacrifices and old people are benefiting from it. The unemployment figures already show this happening in practice.

Oddly enough, I don't think that's how it will be in the longer term. There will be a reluctance to employ older people because they will be seen as a health risk both to themselves and to the business.

It's an interesting turn of phrase - younger people are "having their life chances damaged" but tens of thousands of older people have suffered a bit more than "damage" and that includes both the dead and those who health has been permanently compromised by the virus.

The question of the "triple lock" is ultimately political as much as it is economic. The Conservatives derive much of their support from the older population as @HYUFD never ceases to remind us. IF the elderly are to pay the economic price, the question is whether the Conservative Party is prepared to pay the political price.

• Options

rpjs said:

No. For one thing, unlikely to repeat Hitler's errors. For another, main goal is restoring Russian hegemony over former Soviet empire in Eastern Europe.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

73% not 90%
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

If you think that the EU can powerplay to screw us over and subjugate us then the UK can use asymmetric power plays of our own like screwing them over by walking away from the NI Protocol. If they're a hostile state then all is fair.
    You are constantly whinging. Every day.

"They're trying to subjugate us" *throws toys out of pram*
    "They're acting in bad faith" *throws toys out of pram*
    "They're trying to colonise us" *throws toys out of pram*

It's a constant stream of whine. Get a grip man.

Brexit is already done. We are now experiencing the reality of what Brexit is. This is Brexit. I've accepted it and moved on, just like most of the country. I suggest you do the same.
  • Options

rpjs said:

No. For one thing, unlikely to repeat Hitler's errors. For another, main goal is restoring Russian hegemony over former Soviet empire in Eastern Europe.
    Which is bad for Eastern Europe but not a threat to us. The EU right now can be a threat to us or friends, I hope it ends up as friends but they're far more of a risk than Russia.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Does it not occur to you that the people the NI protocol is designed to protect are UK citizens?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That is just sensible

Continuing this war of words is insane on both sides
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Good point- that's the one. Apologies, too; I remembered the 10% and extrapolated from there. (Should have known better...)

But the partisan split there is not a good sign of anything.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Does it not occur to you that the people the NI protocol is designed to protect are UK citizens?
    No.

I think it's designed to protect the Republic and the EU who are in bad faith trying to abuse it to get us to fold on trade talks.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    But is it the end of a game of Rummy?

• Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Brexit is already done. We are now experiencing the reality of what Brexit is. This is Brexit. I've accepted it and moved on, just like most of the country. I suggest you do the same.
    To be honest you are just as partisan in your arguments as Philip is in his

Brexit is not done, there is a huge difference between deal and no deal and you should recognise that
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

Oddly enough, I don't think that's how it will be in the longer term. There will be a reluctance to employ older people because they will be seen as a health risk both to themselves and to the business.

It's an interesting turn of phrase - younger people are "having their life chances damaged" but tens of thousands of older people have suffered a bit more than "damage" and that includes both the dead and those who health has been permanently compromised by the virus.

The question of the "triple lock" is ultimately political as much as it is economic. The Conservatives derive much of their support from the older population as @HYUFD never ceases to remind us. IF the elderly are to pay the economic price, the question is whether the Conservative Party is prepared to pay the political price.
    My prediction is that pensioners will only end up being asked to pay a greater share around the time that the generation who first had to pay tuition fees reaches retirement, and the boomers have mostly seen their estates assessed for income tax. Generation Fucked Over.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I said they would likely compromise because we have played our Ace from the cards we hold. If they do then great and well played by Johnson. I'm sure you'll give credit where it's due.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

My prediction is that pensioners will only end up being asked to pay a greater share around the time that the generation who first had to pay tuition fees reaches retirement, and the boomers have mostly seen their estates assessed for income tax. Generation Fucked Over.
    Yes, generation selfish will fuck over their kids and grandkids at every opportunity, that much has been clear for a very long time.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I said they would likely compromise because we have played our Ace from the cards we hold. If they do then great and well played by Johnson. I'm sure you'll give credit where it's due.
    And if they give a cosmetic concession to allow Johnson to concede on the substance, you'll be smart enough to see through it?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Brexit is not done, there is a huge difference between deal and no deal and you should recognise that
    No, I just recognise the reality of the situation. If we want a FTA with the EU, we have to accept that we are in a weaker negotiating position. That's just the reality of Brexit.

Likewise we have to accept bureaucracy and red tape, again, the reality of Brexit. We have been told since 2016 that none of these barriers would be an issue, and we should just get on with things. That's exactly what I'm doing.

Except those like Philip who used to be the ones telling us to get on with things are now the ones whinging and whining about the very same issues. It's hypocritical and laughable.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Which is bad for Eastern Europe but not a threat to us. The EU right now can be a threat to us or friends, I hope it ends up as friends but they're far more of a risk than Russia.
    "Which is bad for Eastern Europe but not a threat to us."

Precisely Neville Chamberlain's view with respect to Czechoslovakia.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    England channelling their inner Johnson.

Bright start, then chaos and incompetence.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    And if they give a cosmetic concession to allow Johnson to concede on the substance, you'll be smart enough to see through it?
    Remember @Philip_Thompson spent the last 9 months telling us how great the WA was, and how Boris had masterfully avoided a border in the Irish Sea.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

No, I just recognise the reality of the situation. If we want a FTA with the EU, we have to accept that we are in a weaker negotiating position. That's just the reality of Brexit.

Likewise we have to accept bureaucracy and red tape, again, the reality of Brexit. We have been told since 2016 that none of these barriers would be an issue, and we should just get on with things. That's exactly what I'm doing.

Except those like Philip who used to be the ones telling us to get on with things are now the ones whinging and whining about the very same issues. It's hypocritical and laughable.
    Tbf, the government has accepted that by conceding that we won't be able to get tariff free trade with the EU. The government has already made that compromise, it is now the EU that has to compromise or we will end up with a no deal. The government will never accept the LPF, it might deal on fish quotas but the LPF is never going to get through Parliament unamended, even Labour would come out against it as it gives Brussels a veto on budgetary measures.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

One thing this is not is laughable

And Philip is entitled to his views as much as you or anyone else on this forum is

• Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

And Philip is entitled to his views as much as you or anyone else on this forum is

He's entitled to his views, and I'm entitled to call out hypocrisy and logical flaws.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

We are not in a weaker negotiating position though. We are sovereign equals and if you can't see that then I feel sorry for you.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Scott_xP said:
    Remember @Philip_Thompson spent the last 9 months telling us how great the WA was, and how Boris had masterfully avoided a border in the Irish Sea.
    I think he has really lost the plot since Johnson got elected. It's come to something when even malfunctioning bot HYUFD is a voice of reason compared to what's happened to Philip_Thompson.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Tbf, the government has accepted that by conceding that we won't be able to get tariff free trade with the EU. The government has already made that compromise, it is now the EU that has to compromise or we will end up with a no deal. The government will never accept the LPF, it might deal on fish quotas but the LPF is never going to get through Parliament unamended, even Labour would come out against it as it gives Brussels a veto on budgetary measures.
    Well the likes of Philip have told us that no deal is fine, so what is the problem? Need to stop whinging and get on with it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Brexit is done,what's left is what will be an endless negotiations of trade deals which we never used to bother about
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Scott_xP said:
    Why read or respond to anything he posts, it’s boring in the extreme.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

He's entitled to his views, and I'm entitled to call out hypocrisy and logical flaws.
    And in your opinion
  • Options
    Fun as Philip vs sanity is I'm no longer that bothered about the catastrofuck that will be no deal in January. We have to deal with the growing apocalypse that is Covid19 first.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

We are not in a weaker negotiating position though. We are sovereign equals and if you can't see that then I feel sorry for you.
    Completely deluded.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Well the likes of Philip have told us that no deal is fine, so what is the problem? Need to stop whinging and get on with it.
    I'm not making any judgement on how it will turn out, just pointing out that unless the EU budges on the LPF no deal is an inevitability. It really is in their hands at this point.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I said that there were special arrangements for NI and if NI voters didn't like those then they could vote to end them, something that was impossible in May's worse deal.

Legally there is no border which is why we can act like we are, in May's deal we would have legally ceded NI into the EU's Customs Area.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

It absolutely does.

Brexit is done,what's left is what will be an endless negotiations of trade deals which we never used to bother about
    It is not concluded by any means
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    I see Rasmussen have a poll out today with Trump +6 approval (!)
    Morning Consult have a poll with similar dates out today -22 approval
This discussion has been closed.