Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the biggest political betting market of all time Biden is still favourite but not by much – polit

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    No exemption for pigeon racing then. The mask slips. People's Government my arse.
    Why would pigeon racing be restricted?
    They have to let them all go at the same time from one spot,. which merans opening a lot of cages in a very quicki hurry?
    Pigeon racing first sport to resume after lockdown.
    And now having to shut up shop again while the nobs are free to hunt and fish.
    It is an organised sport.
    Ah so pigeon racing carries on then. Good news. Begs the question, though, of which working class equivalents to grouse shooting that do need an exemption are for some strange reason not getting one from this Tory government.
    A bit more preparation would have seen an incisive, coruscating, acute post from you.

As it is you're having a bit of a shocker.
    I'm simply trying to get to the bottom of the matter. I sense it might be a weathercock as to this government's real attitudes and priorities. A sign that the Red Wall should prepare to be betrayed. First in small ways (like this) but before long fundamentally and profoundly.
    You are making the usual urban mistake of thinking that it is only "nobs" that shoot and fish. Silly prejudice, that is way beneath someone that normally writes very well thought out posts.
    Yes, but who owns the land and who profits from renting it out for shooting?
    Quite an interesting study here, if it so moves you.

http://www.shootingfacts.co.uk/pdf/The-Value-of-Shooting-2014.pdf

Adds £2bn to the UK economy.

I'm sure choirs provide immeasurable benefit to their participants (around 2m according to one study) but I'm not sure they've quantified the economic benefit.
    Ah yes shootingfacts.co.uk, that impartial seeker of truth...
    The whole of the agricultural sector, including hunting as well as all crop and animal production, is worth a bit over £13bn, so I am calling bullshit on that claim.
    Fair enough. What do you think it is?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    No exemption for pigeon racing then. The mask slips. People's Government my arse.
    They have to let them all go at the same time from one spot,. which merans opening a lot of cages in a very quicki hurry?
    Ah so pigeon racing carries on then. Good news. Begs the question, though, of which working class equivalents to grouse shooting that do need an exemption are for some strange reason not getting one from this Tory government.
    A bit more preparation would have seen an incisive, coruscating, acute post from you.

I'm simply trying to get to the bottom of the matter. I sense it might be a weathercock as to this government's real attitudes and priorities. A sign that the Red Wall should prepare to be betrayed. First in small ways (like this) but before long fundamentally and profoundly.
    You are making the usual urban mistake of thinking that it is only "nobs" that shoot and fish. Silly prejudice, that is way beneath someone that normally writes very well thought out posts.
    Lots of small businesses benefit from shooting and fishing, some in rural areas that have very delicate economies. To the average urbanite it is all about "nobs" though. Extreme prejudice against traditional country people is alive and kicking, sadly.
    I had a very working class friend who enjoyed his pigeon shooting - I used to take his retriever out hunting (for fossils, so he was pretty useless with me, but he was a trained gundog all right).

It's the differential treatment with other sports which might grate with the public. As do the organised bloodsports per se. It's one thing to harvest/control potential vermin such as deer and partridge, and eat the results, but a couple of guns walking over the fields wouildn't come under the restrictions anyway.
    There is no differential treatment, all organised outdoor sports are included.

Are partridge vermin? They may eat a bit of corn, but they wouldn't be there in the numbers for anyone to notice if they weren't bred and put out to be shot, I don't think.
    I'm more familiar with pheasant - they did use to be bred and put out to be shot next to where I live. Rather unkind. Much less uneasy with a more natural population. Not so familair with partridge - always assumed a natural pest species in the south.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Pulpstar said:

** US Election **

This is rather good. It's a site which takes the Economist election model, and allows you to see how the probabilities change in various scenarios.

https://www.ricardofernholz.com/election/

For example:

Economist model has chance of a Biden win at 84%, Trump at 15%. It also has the probabilities for Florida as 70% Biden, 30% Trump.

By clicking once, or twice, on Florida on the map, you can see how the probabilities at the national level (and for key states in the table below the map) change if either Biden or Trump wins FL. In other words, you can explore the correlations. In this case, if Trump wins FL, then the chance of him winning nationally goes up to 45%.

If you assign Arizona to the Democrats it gives 96+% chance for them to win.
    Az Dem, Fl GOP is 20% chance for Trump.
    If Trump holds Florida and wins Pennsylvania and Michigan he can afford to lose Arizona
  • Options
    From field to compost: French firm develops hemp face masks

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-france-hemp-mask/from-field-to-compost-french-firm-develops-hemp-face-masks-idUKKBN262212

To be seen on the next XR outting.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lots of small businesses benefit from shooting and fishing, some in rural areas that have very delicate economies. To the average urbanite it is all about "nobs" though. Extreme prejudice against traditional country people is alive and kicking, sadly.
    I had a very working class friend who enjoyed his pigeon shooting - I used to take his retriever out hunting (for fossils, so he was pretty useless with me, but he was a trained gundog all right).

It's the differential treatment with other sports which might grate with the public. As do the organised bloodsports per se. It's one thing to harvest/control potential vermin such as deer and partridge, and eat the results, but a couple of guns walking over the fields wouildn't come under the restrictions anyway.

Are partridge vermin? They may eat a bit of corn, but they wouldn't be there in the numbers for anyone to notice if they weren't bred and put out to be shot, I don't think.
    I'm more familiar with pheasant - they did use to be bred and put out to be shot next to where I live. Rather unkind. Much less uneasy with a more natural population. Not so familair with partridge - always assumed a natural pest species in the south.
    Ideally those birds shot would be eaten but I accept that this does not always happen to every bird. Still, if you pop into your local butcher you will see plenty of game. Same with some restaurants.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm sure choirs provide immeasurable benefit to their participants (around 2m according to one study) but I'm not sure they've quantified the economic benefit.
    The whole of the agricultural sector, including hunting as well as all crop and animal production, is worth a bit over £13bn, so I am calling bullshit on that claim.
    The high-roller Arabs who shoot at the big local estate swap out their London tarts on a daily basis, by jet, while they're down here. That must boost GDP a bit.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Partridge are not vermin, they are game as are deer. As HYUFD has mentioned, other sports do have exemptions. As I have spent most of my life living in the countryside and with strong links to farming and rural communities, I really do wish people who clearly know so little about the subjects would do a little research before pontificating. The level of ignorance expressed, by an otherwise educated group of people is a little depressing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

It surprises me that there are any Tory MPs left who have not yet realised that Geoff Cox has a sole aim from his time in politics: self promotion for the benefit of his private Chambers.

Apparently a few have worked out they might still need a career after this Government falls

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1305484742444408832
    Anyone know how many lawyers there are on the Conservative benches these days?
    In 2017 12%, though LDs had more at 16%.

2019 data not yet available

file:///home/chronos/u-a4ac0077cff3dec12ab65f91af1476ea4829487c/MyFiles/Downloads/CBP-7529.pdf (p35)

Thanks. So thirtysomething before the election. Significant, but not (by itself) fatal to this bill in the Commons.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I used to work with some very active "shooting and fishing" types. My colleague used to describe shooting as "the humane harvesting of free range, organic produce"

Sadly not true with modern pheasant shooting, they are high-velocity battery chickens.
    Total bollox.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite frankly, and forgive me for being predictable, based on recent history I genuinely do not believe the headline figure stats.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1305047756151627776
    So is it 226,000 or 62,000 tests a day
    A key point here is ‘tests’ v ‘people tested’

Another key point is ‘tests sent out’ v ‘tests done’
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    If you assign Arizona and Florida to the GOP, Trump's overall chances rise to 56%.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    NExt week we will have the totally unbaised and non-partisan report into Hunter Biden and Ukraine.

Then there is AG Barr's totally unbiased election fraud report to come.

All to be reported on by the credulous American media.

Considering going long on Trump to ride the wave.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited September 2020
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite frankly, and forgive me for being predictable, based on recent history I genuinely do not believe the headline figure stats.

The headline figure of 227,000 on the UK Gov dashboard is "tests processed" and the info box confirms it doesn't include tests sent out and not returned. The big Q is, how much of that is backlogging from days ago at the moment?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I can’t remember such a “tomorrow’s chip paper” argument as this one over the Internal Markets Bill. It surprises me that there are any Tory MPs left who have not yet realised that Geoff Cox has a sole aim from his time in politics: self promotion for the benefit of his private Chambers. He’d no doubt be delighted to get kicked out on a “point of principle”, His political career having pretty much exhausted its usefulness to him.

I follow politics closer than most and I can’t even remember what the rebellion was over this time last year that saw all those MPs expelled. Those considering the same now would do well to consider what pathetic figures the likes of Stewart, Gauke and Greening now cut, sniping on Twitter to try and preserve some semblance of relevance. Or Hammond, tarting himself like Blair. Major, May and Blair are hardly disinterested parties either.

It’s all just the rough and tumble of dealing with the EU. I’m in uproar over the government’s Rule of Six and snitching agenda, necessitated only by how ineptly it’s run and communicated the covid response. But I’m giving three cheers that they’re giving a robust response to the EU and are prepared to break a few eggs.

Last year you got thrown out for not backing the Withdrawal Agreement

This year you get thrown out for not opposing the same Withdrawal Agreement

Simples
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,385
    edited September 2020
    Andy_JS said:

If you assign Arizona and Florida to the GOP, Trump's overall chances rise to 56%.

Apparently there is a 1 in (edit) 40 chance of the Democrats winning Texas and losing the election.
    Seems... a little on the high side.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Andy_JS said:

If you assigned Chingford and Wood Green to the Tories next time round any model would show them having a good chance of increasing their majority too.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Partridge are not vermin, they are game as are deer. As HYUFD has mentioned, other sports do have exemptions. As I have spent most of my life living in the countryside and with strong links to farming and rural communities, I really do wish people who clearly know so little about the subjects would do a little research before pontificating. The level of ignorance expressed, by an otherwise educated group of people is a little depressing.
    The whole point about deer is that they don't have predators in the UK so undergo population booms with the consequent effect on the habitat. Ergo they are vermin and need to be controlled by shooting. You can call them game as well as you like. Many years ago I visited Rum and read up on the NCC's experiments there e.g. on the reforestation over decades and the impact of the deer on the natural woodland is very clear indeed. Indeed I gather that the shooting industry's idea of a reasonable population level is stillr ather higher than biological arguments would imply - it certainly was the last time I read into it.

I was being kind and assuming the same about partridge.

Edit: NB I am being positive about the shooting industry to the degree that they do a necessary job. But breeding and releasing? That's a different matter.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

If you assigned Chingford and Wood Green to the Tories next time round any model would show them having a good chance of increasing their majority too.
    What's your point?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I have no idea. But I know that it is not 15% of the agricultural sector. If I was being generous I could imagine it being 2% of the agricultural sector, so about £250mn, so the £2bn "estimate" would be out by a factor of eight.
    To be honest, if people get off on killing things then fair enough, it's not my cup of tea but whatever. It's just revealing that in the middle of the pandemic the government found time to schedule a high level meeting (albeit subsequently cancelled) in order to make sure that their wealthy donors aren't inconvenienced. At the same time as inviting the public to grass on their neighbours if they have a kids' birthday part in the back garden.
    Like with the Cummings episode, it speaks volumes about how the government creates a hierarchy of rights for the rich and powerful and responsibilities for everyone else.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I wonder if Tory MPs sense this is a chance to send Cummings to Barnard Castle.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

Tests sent out don't get counted, the testing figures are now reported as tests processed. The government processes around 220k tests per day and it takes around 250k swabs per day. The issue is that mismatch which is causing a backlog to build up.

My current theory is that the government has stopped investing in PCR based testing and processing in favour of the rapid test machines but they've switched with poor timing with the latter not delivering as quickly as expected and PCR capacity now fixed due to investment in new capacity there being cut.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Ideally those birds shot would be eaten but I accept that this does not always happen to every bird. Still, if you pop into your local butcher you will see plenty of game. Same with some restaurants.
    I know. I eat the stuff! (from the local community shop, as it happens.)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

There was a tweet from John Rentoul around that time quoting un-named Tory MPs saying "at some point Cummings will over-reach, and we will act"

I don't believe it, but if this isn't the time...
  • Options
    The details of more than 18,000 people who tested positive for coronavirus were published online by mistake by Public Health Wales.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

The headline figure of 227,000 on the UK Gov dashboard is "tests processed" and the info box confirms it doesn't include tests sent out and not returned. The big Q is, how much of that is backlogging from days ago at the moment?
    It will, I bet, however count multiple tests done on the same person (e.g. nose swab and throat swab) as multiple tests, and include tests done for lab research purposes etc. Yet the impression given is that these are all individual discrete members of the public being tested.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There was a tweet from John Rentoul around that time quoting un-named Tory MPs saying "at some point Cummings will over-reach, and we will act"

I don't believe it, but if this isn't the time...
    Would require Tory MPs to grow a pair so seems unlikely.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    IanB2 said:

RH1992 said:

IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Scott_xP said:

It will, I bet, however count multiple tests done on the same person (e.g. nose swab and throat swab) as multiple tests, and include tests done for lab research purposes etc. Yet the impression given is that these are all individual discrete members of the public being tested.
    I don't think it does any more. It only counts tests processed, not number of swabs taken.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

What's your point?
    Holding both Arizona and Florida looks unlikely if the polling is correct.
    Any assignment of both Arizona & Florida to the GOP thereby necessarily skews the necessary national data to overly artificially lower Biden's chances.
    Tbh I'm surprised Biden's chances are still as high as 44% in the scenario he wins neither. It basically requires a perfect path through the rest of the country against a known roughly nationally poor ceiling.
    The comparison with Chingford was because the sunbelt is trending Dem, like London is broadly trending Labour.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I used to work with some very active "shooting and fishing" types. My colleague used to describe shooting as "the humane harvesting of free range, organic produce"

Sadly not true with modern pheasant shooting, they are high-velocity battery chickens.
    Total bollox.
    I have been shooting pheasant for 45 years, I used to own one-sixth of a pheasant shoot, and I am happy to back either or both of those statements with a 4 figure bet. Good to hear how things look from the golf club bar, though.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I have no idea. But I know that it is not 15% of the agricultural sector. If I was being generous I could imagine it being 2% of the agricultural sector, so about £250mn, so the £2bn "estimate" would be out by a factor of eight.
    To be honest, if people get off on killing things then fair enough, it's not my cup of tea but whatever. It's just revealing that in the middle of the pandemic the government found time to schedule a high level meeting (albeit subsequently cancelled) in order to make sure that their wealthy donors aren't inconvenienced. At the same time as inviting the public to grass on their neighbours if they have a kids' birthday part in the back garden.
    Like with the Cummings episode, it speaks volumes about how the government creates a hierarchy of rights for the rich and powerful and responsibilities for everyone else.
    Imagine if someone gave the bairns air rifles and told them to shoot at woodpigeons in the back gartden - party planning problem solved. That's the sort of comparison people will make.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Liking the new cleaner site layout and graphics.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,385
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

The whole point about deer is that they don't have predators in the UK so undergo population booms with the consequent effect on the habitat. Ergo they are vermin and need to be controlled by shooting. You can call them game as well as you like. Many years ago I visited Rum and read up on the NCC's experiments there e.g. on the reforestation over decades and the impact of the deer on the natural woodland is very clear indeed. Indeed I gather that the shooting industry's idea of a reasonable population level is stillr ather higher than biological arguments would imply - it certainly was the last time I read into it.

Edit: NB I am being positive about the shooting industry to the degree that they do a necessary job. But breeding and releasing? That's a different matter.
    And burning heather on peatland is not ideal, either.
  • Options
    This is a fascinating insider account of life inside Boris Johnson's Conservative Party.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/14/how-we-made-the-human-centipede
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Scott_xP said:
    One morsel I picked up from the mail is the DUP is on the government's side on this so the majority is closer to 90 than 80.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Recommend that if you are open minded you look to the work done by the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust in combination with the RSPB and the British Trust for Ornithology. The benefits to other wildlife from shooting sports is significant. With the exception of some bad practice in limited places, released game and the conservation efforts to provide the correct habitat greatly improve overall habitats and ecology.
  • Options
    Current BBC headline: "Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus?"

Makes a welcome and interesting change from the usual diet of Covid and Brexit!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

So you are guessing and not basing your comment on any understanding what so ever. Well done, great post.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rasmussen has Trump's job approval at just about the highest in his presidency today 51/48.

So, you know, there are polls and polls.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Big change in the Scottish Hopsital number coming up

264** people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
    ** This figure includes people who are no longer being treated for COVID-19. Tomorrow, this will be replaced with a measure that focuses on hospital in-patients with a more recent positive COVID-19 test.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

I think you mean Woodford Green? Wood Green (N22) is a different district entirely.
  • Options

It's either yes or there's a hitherto unknown method of phosphine production lurking about. I got an E in my further organic chemistry module so won't be much use on this.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

** This figure includes people who are no longer being treated for COVID-19. Tomorrow, this will be replaced with a measure that focuses on hospital in-patients with a more recent positive COVID-19 test.

That's good, it was the same kind of inconsistency with the England death stats that needed to be fixed. As 4 nations all of this should be standardised.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

I think you mean Woodford Green? Wood Green (N22) is a different district entirely.
    I mean the quiet man's constituency :D
  • Options
    Alistair said:

So today the Government have finally picked up oddness of the Scottish Covid hospital figures, and they have written to all GPs telling them to open up their surgeries and start seeing poeple again.

Two more things I have been right on.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    One morsel I picked up from the mail is the DUP is on the government's side on this so the majority is closer to 90 than 80.

Only 8 Unionists out of 18 Northern Irish MPs, the lowest ratio since Partition.
  • Options
    Javid looking at a post BoZo future

Not that far away...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

I mean the quiet man's constituency :D
    Ha ha, yes that's Chingford and WoodFORD Green –– it will be a cold day in Hell when IDS gets elected in Wood Green.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2020
    Pfizer CEO says drug company will know if COVID-19 vaccine works before the end of October

https://twitter.com/i/events/1305494187236708352?s=20
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I know. I eat the stuff! (from the local community shop, as it happens.)
    I bloody love eating game i have it as much as possible. Perhaps @OnlyLivingBoy should give it a try as it sounds like he is unaware of the fact that most people eat the stuff they shoot.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

If the bill fails, do you think Bozo will resign?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

So you are guessing and not basing your comment on any understanding what so ever. Well done, great post.
    No, I am basing it on the fact that the whole agricultural sector (that is, every farm, every fishing boat, every herd of cattle, the entire cereal harvest, the whole forestry sector, chicken and egg production, etc etc) adds just over £13bn to GDP. I am using that fact to point out that the claim that one small sliver of the agricultural sector is worth £2bn is ludicrous. In fact, as far as I can see I am the only person who has brought any credible facts to bear in this discussion. So yes, it is a great post, thanks.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    An invasion? Ooh scary language there . . . 🙄
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

Define fails.

If the bill is rejected outright by the Commons I expect so.
    If the bill is rejected by the unelected Lords then no, definitely not.

My expectation is the bill will get through, albeit amended similar to the proposed Neill amendment.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

Define fails.

My expectation is the bill will get through, albeit amended similar to the proposed Neill amendment.
    No way does it get through the lords I don; think
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,738
    Government admits to the NI Select Committee that the EU has been working in good faith ! But is going around the media saying the opposite . They really a bunch of corrupt lying chancers.
  • Options
    Not just the testing that is breaking down, the government website has broken....

"Due to an ongoing issue with Microsoft Azure, we are currently unable to update the data."

Should always use AWS...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

I don`t think Johnson will resign either way.
  • Options

Not just the testing that is breaking down, the government website has broken....

"Due to an ongoing issue with Microsoft Azure, we are currently unable to update the data."

Should always use AWS...

GCP. It's better than both!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

Define fails.

No way does it get through the lords I don; think
    I think it will get through the Lords amended with something like the Neill amendment. I just don't think the Government is keen to concede that yet because if they do it will no doubt be then asked for more, but I expect they'll concede something like that down the track as a "compromise".
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Andy_JS said:
    I think Farage has said that every Tory MP that votes against the bill will face a BP candidate next time around,
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Oh no! Is it the Turkeys coming for Xmas? Nigel always seemed to be very worried about the Turks. There were big posters IIRC....
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    What is so wrong with France that they are desperate to come here. If you read this site the UK is a terrible place
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277

Andy_JS said:
    This feels like the stupidity around Trump's migrant caravan in 2018. People aren't paying attention to Three Men in A Boat - Syrian Refugee Edition because the government is trying to self-destruct and the national tracing system already appears to have done so.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

Care to put a date on it?
  • Options

Or wondering if there is intelligent life in Westminster....
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    I think Farage has said that every Tory MP that votes against the bill will face a BP candidate next time around,
    Oh no.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    What is so wrong with France that they are desperate to come here. If you read this site the UK is a terrible place
    1. The French police
    2. The French language?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's either yes or there's a hitherto unknown method of phosphine production lurking about. I got an E in my further organic chemistry module so won't be much use on this.
    For a certain kind of nerd, that's more exciting than boring old life.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

Andy_JS said:
    The UK is a terrible place.
  • Options
    I absolutely do not support Boris breaking the treaty but if anything really angers me it is mps constantly shouting out while he is presenting his case

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Not that far away...

He should but it won't, no idea if he would
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    PM
    "Can only be solved with goodwill and common sense".
    That's torn it.
  • Options

I absolutely do not support Boris breaking the treaty but if anything really angers me it is mps constantly shouting out while he is presenting his case

I do not support cold blooded murder, but I really object to people raising the hue and cry while the act is in progress.

Or, to put it another way, bugger civility while lawbreaking is in process.
  • Options
    Bob Neil talking sound sense
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,738
    Apparently more audio taped conversations between Trump and Woodward are due to be released at midday eastern time on CNN so expect an imminent Trump twitter meltdown .
  • Options

He usually does. Not a fan of his politics but he's one of the better coves in the Tory benches.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

Andy_JS said:
    1. The French police
    2. The French language?
    The French police is definitely a reason. Their behaviour isn't far off some of the nonsense that American police officers can get away with.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/03/french-reporter-who-joined-police-exposes-racism-and-violence-valentin-gendrot
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

I do not support cold blooded murder, but I really object to people raising the hue and cry while the act is in progress.

Shouting down anyone you disagree with is unacceptable
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Shouting down anyone you disagree with is unacceptable
    Normally I'd agree, but this sort of constitutional vandalism does not deserve respect.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

He usually does. Not a fan of his politics but he's one of the better coves in the Tory benches.
    Boris response seemed interesting and I expect Bob Neil's amendment will be the final destination of this bill
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Boris response seemed interesting and I expect Bob Neil's amendment will be the final destination of this bill
    I agree.
  • Options
    I'm a fan of his Youtube channel but it would be utter madness for Joe Biden to do a four hour interview with Joe Rogan.
  • Options

Neil's amendment is worthless

Might make it through the Commons. Won't make it through the Lords
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited September 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Oh noes! Not The. Ministerial. Code.

A charter more sacred than any in these islands...
  • Options
    Boris saying if these powers were exercised that they would introduce a Statutory Instrument on which a vote would be held, how is that any different to the Neill Amendment?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Accepting the 'parliamentary lock' amendment makes it more difficult for SCOTUK to oppose the legislation I err think.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

No, I am basing it on the fact that the whole agricultural sector (that is, every farm, every fishing boat, every herd of cattle, the entire cereal harvest, the whole forestry sector, chicken and egg production, etc etc) adds just over £13bn to GDP. I am using that fact to point out that the claim that one small sliver of the agricultural sector is worth £2bn is ludicrous. In fact, as far as I can see I am the only person who has brought any credible facts to bear in this discussion. So yes, it is a great post, thanks.
    The only fact that is apparent (other than you looked up what the UK agriculture sector contributes) is that you know fuck all about the subject you are pontificating on and are debating on a subject that you know as much about as I do about particle physics. The 2Bn is not ludicrous because it includes factors that will not be included in the agriculture figure that you got from Google, such as shops that supply clothing and equipment, B&Bs, hotels, restaurants etc., many of which in places like N Yorks, the West Country and Scottish highlands rely heavily on the very upmarket end of the shooting community to spend very large sums of money (oh no, the hated toffs and rich city types!). So basically, you are allowing your nasty little urban prejudice against people that earn their living in these areas to motivate your ignorant post. So no, it is a shit post. Stick to things you know a little about, then you will look less ignorant.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

moonshine said:

It surprises me that there are any Tory MPs left who have not yet realised that Geoff Cox has a sole aim from his time in politics: self promotion for the benefit of his private Chambers.

Apparently a few have worked out they might still need a career after this Government falls

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1305484742444408832
    Anyone know how many lawyers there are on the Conservative benches these days?
    In 2017 12%, though LDs had more at 16%.

2019 data not yet available

16% of the LDs in 2017 means TWO MPs.
  • Options
    Are you looking forward the annual Patriotic Purge?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Accepting the 'parliamentary lock' amendment makes it more difficult for SCOTUK to oppose the legislation I err think.

Nope

the point of the amendment is it only applies after the law has been broken.
This discussion has been closed.