Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the biggest political betting market of all time Biden is still favourite but not by much – polit

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

Can I ask is it anyone else feels wierd when political opposites like your posts? I am beginning to feel like I defected

There - I gave that a like, but I am not sure about our political mismatch (or otherwise) ;)
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

A thought and no doubt I will be told I am completely wrong

Tissue price was one of us, he said what he thought and he would criticize when he felt something was wrong.

Now he is elected he is a johnson clone.....does that not say our parliament needs to be reformed?

Or that the country needs a PB Junta.
    We would never get anything done because of the Brexit rows.....
    Nothing compared to the pizza disputes...
    I am ultra liberal in the old sense of the word both socially and economically
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

A thought and no doubt I will be told I am completely wrong

Tissue price was one of us, he said what he thought and he would criticize when he felt something was wrong.

Now he is elected he is a johnson clone.....does that not say our parliament needs to be reformed?

Or that the country needs a PB Junta.
    We would never get anything done because of the Brexit rows.....
    We could ban pineapple on pizza. That would be good enough.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

PFizer's CEO said its vaccine could be given in late 2020.....

My understanding on the Oxford-AZN vaccine is that it could be in first batch of arms as soon as November, with publication of Phase 3 findings perhaps 5-6 weeks away. Don’t ask me for a source because I can’t give it. Just what I’ve been told is now looking likely.

It’s why I find the government’s messaging recently so unconscionable. If I know this so do they. So give people a bit of hope for goodness sake.
    Could still go tits up.
    Sure. But nothing was done last week by the senior talking heads to counter all the bullshit hysteria on the pause to the trial. I and several others here knew as fact within hours of the Reuters story that it was nothing to worry about.

And all we get even now is such vaguely caveated statements on a vaccine talking about as late as next summer, ooh we may never get one, let’s spend £100bn on a testing process that doesn’t even exist.

Healthcare workers likely to get it before or around Xmas. Then sometime thereafter care home residents. And teachers. And we will be then talking about something which isn’t really spreading and isn’t causing much morbidity or mortality, long before your average Millennial gets the chance to not turn up to the appointment to get one.
    How do you know the pause isn't much to worry about out of interest 'as fact' ?
    It is now on the public record that the trial has resumed. How did I know earlier than this that it was nothing to worry about? There remains an imperfect market in information.
    Very imperfect, as you seem not to realise that only the UK branch of the tral has resumed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

My understanding on the Oxford-AZN vaccine is that it could be in first batch of arms as soon as November, with publication of Phase 3 findings perhaps 5-6 weeks away. Don’t ask me for a source because I can’t give it. Just what I’ve been told is now looking likely.

It’s why I find the government’s messaging recently so unconscionable. If I know this so do they. So give people a bit of hope for goodness sake.
    Could still go tits up.
    Sure. But nothing was done last week by the senior talking heads to counter all the bullshit hysteria on the pause to the trial. I and several others here knew as fact within hours of the Reuters story that it was nothing to worry about.

And all we get even now is such vaguely caveated statements on a vaccine talking about as late as next summer, ooh we may never get one, let’s spend £100bn on a testing process that doesn’t even exist.

Healthcare workers likely to get it before or around Xmas. Then sometime thereafter care home residents. And teachers. And we will be then talking about something which isn’t really spreading and isn’t causing much morbidity or mortality, long before your average Millennial gets the chance to not turn up to the appointment to get one.
    It is now on the public record that the trial has resumed. How did I know earlier than this that it was nothing to worry about? There remains an imperfect market in information.
    Very imperfect, as you seem not to realise that only the UK branch of the tral has resumed.
    Resumed in Brazil, too:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trials-resume-in-brazil/46033366
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The thing about Ed Miliband is that, like William Hague, he was chosen as party leader far too early. Hague eventually became a very serious politician; Ed M has also matured quite well in the last five years.

Ed's big mistake was resigning the leadership. Was probably inevitable, but I am sure Labour would be in a better place if he hadn't.
    He would almost certainly have faced a stalking donkey challenge from the left, using borrowed nominations from the Blairites - quite possibly Corbyn on the Buggins Turn principle - and lost.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    RobD said:
    I suspect she is reporting the comments she hears from Tory MPs she knows.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    She just spoke to Richard Burgon and extrapolated from there.
  • Options
    eek said:

RobD said:
    She's hardly going to say no!
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:
    She's hardly going to say no!
    *Raises eyebrows* I never realised. Do you Truss your source?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

That is quite an inference. And quite a rude one too.

No one yet knows for sure who will be first to approval in this country but it’s looking quite good odds that it happens pre Xmas for AZN. Most would think that something to celebrate.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

No one yet knows for sure who will be first to approval in this country but it’s looking quite good odds that it happens pre Xmas for AZN. Most would think that something to celebrate.
    Not at all. You said "the trial has resumed" when it has not in fact resumed in Brazil, South Africa or the USA, only in the UK. You were wrong.

Are you a virologist?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Not at all. You said "the trial has resumed" when it has not in fact resumed in Brazil, South Africa or the USA, only in the UK. You were wrong.

Are you a virologist?
    Perhaps they have an interest in the trials in the UK? Isn't that where regulatory approval will come from.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Are you a virologist?
    I do apologise to you if I upset you by not including the word partially. I am sure most others would conclude that if it’s restarted in the Uk and Brazil within a week, then we are not looking at a programme ending event.

I sense you are somehow upset about this from your extreme passive agressive response?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Are you a virologist?
    I do apologise to you if I upset you by not including the word partially. I am sure most others would conclude that if it’s restarted in the Uk and Brazil within a week, then we are not looking at a programme ending event.

I sense you are somehow upset about this from your extreme passive agressive response?
    Are you a virologist?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Are you a virologist?

Are you a virologist?
    What's that got to do with anything?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Are you a virologist?

Are you a virologist?
    I didn’t know we had to post linkedin profiles to comment here.
  • Options
    Well it would certainly have some interesting questions!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1305487258036781056?s=20
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    The service was run by a prison company. The US prison system seems to be an utter abomination.
  • Options

Well it would certainly have some interesting questions!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1305487258036781056?s=20

He doesn't really, does he? Would certainly be entertaining....
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Tell me about it. It's unbelievable (not that I don't believe them, just that it's unbelievable it's happening).
  • Options
    moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Are you a virologist?

Are you a virologist?
    I didn’t know we had to post linkedin profiles to comment here.
    Did you not get the initial questionnaire. You must not fly coach unless you really have to, have an interest in top quality food and wine, you must not eat pineapple pizza, must like Radiohead, and you absolutely swear on your mothers life that Python is the best programming language.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Resumed in Brazil, too:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trials-resume-in-brazil/46033366
    Great news.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I can see the upside for Biden of going on the podcast of a Seth Rich truther and Obamagate believer.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    Is this taking the knee at the start of every match going to continue indefinitely?

I think the cricket got it right, they did it to show support but have moved on from that particular gesture. Even the NFL, most players aren't, instead they are linking arms.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

There is nothing in the least "extraordinary" about it. Many social and psychological experiments have shown that people's "standards" are remarkably flexible. Look up Stanley Milgram's experiments where people would inflict pain because an authority figure said it was OK to do so.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1305566487604854784

Indeed there are some on here who voted for Corbyn so visceral is their hatred of the Tories and des[ite the anti-semitism............
  • Options
    Brighton vs Chelsea appears to be a team in blue vs a team in a slightly different shade of blue.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I can see the upside for Biden of going on the podcast of a Seth Rich truther and Obamagate believer.

No upside for him. All downside, heck even if it's long term neutral as Musk's stint was it can be short term bad - but November is the short term !
  • Options
    felix said:

There is nothing in the least "extraordinary" about it. Many social and psychological experiments have shown that people's "standards" are remarkably flexible. Look up Stanley Milgram's experiments where people would inflict pain because an authority figure said it was OK to do so.

Indeed there are some on here who voted for Corbyn so visceral is their hatred of the Tories and des[ite the anti-semitism............
    Why are you telling me this? I did not vote for Corbyn.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ Sajid Javid? What is Hunt doing?

This is all posturing for the future Tory leadership contest, Gove will run as continuity Johnson presumably, Javid as Cameron 2.0
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Why is it shocking that the government is asking people to report criminal activity?
  • Options

This is all posturing for the future Tory leadership contest, Gove will run as continuity Johnson presumably, Javid as Cameron 2.0

I haven't heard a peep out of Dishy Rishi for ages.
  • Options

Revenge is a dish best served with a 50% discount.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
  • Options

Did you not get the initial questionnaire. You must not fly coach unless you really have to, have an interest in top quality food and wine,

Agreed

...you must not eat pineapple pizza,

Pizza is an abomination unto Nuggan

... must like Radiohead,

They are perfect for funerals

... and you absolutely swear on your mothers life that Python is the best programming language.

:D:D:D:D:D

What a ridiculous thing to say. It is just another progamming language. In fact, little better than BASIC on steroids.
  • Options

Quite reasonable in the biggest economic disruption in 300 years that he's concentrating on the Treasury and not getting involved in everyone else's psychodramas.

If that's good for his future chances/our bets coming in then that's good too.
  • Options
  • Options

Did you not get the initial questionnaire. You must not fly coach unless you really have to, have an interest in top quality food and wine,

Agreed

...you must not eat pineapple pizza,

Pizza is an abomination unto Nuggan

... must like Radiohead,

They are perfect for funerals

... and you absolutely swear on your mothers life that Python is the best programming language.

:D:D:D:D:D

What a ridiculous thing to say. It is just another progamming language. In fact, little better than BASIC on steroids.
    5...4...3...2...1....ban hammer incoming....
  • Options
    felix said:

There are some on here who voted for Boris despite knowing he was even worse. (And I lost a fair sum wagering that Conservative MPs would realise this.)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194
    edited September 2020
    felix said:

I can't bear Corbyn, but on balance the remote chance of a minority Corbyn government looked less dangerous to me than a majority government. After less than a year that view would appear to be vindicated.

As for the Corbyn/ Labour anti-Semitism, it was (and in some cases still is) repugnant. I would add that Conservative Islamaphobia as set out by Baroness Warsi, but largely ignored here, is equally evil.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

While BoZo is trashing our international reputation in the Commons, elsewhere the Government continues to fuck up to the max...

https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1305570915535781890

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1305573003854520321

As I keep pointing out, the system cannot possibly be readied, be working flawlessly and be integrated into company systems by 1st January. So unless the government massively backs down, everything jams to a stop on 1st January.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Quite reasonable in the biggest economic disruption in 300 years that he's concentrating on the Treasury and not getting involved in everyone else's psychodramas.

If that's good for his future chances/our bets coming in then that's good too.
    Didn't do Gordon much harm (in terms of getting the top job, at least).
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

I think you have that right.

The thing to bear in mind is that the tories will want a break from Brexit, lockdown, the rule of six and all the other wretchedness.

Somebody out of left field has a chance.
  • Options

Is this taking the knee at the start of every match going to continue indefinitely?

I think the cricket got it right, they did it to show support but have moved on from that particular gesture. Even the NFL, most players aren't, instead they are linking arms.

Perhaps it should stop when the problem of racism is eliminated and when no players still feel the brunt of racism and want to continue with it?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Why is it shocking that the government is asking people to report criminal activity?

Because it is shocking that having Sunday lunch with mum, dad, two children, grandma and grandad is now a crime because mum has just had a new baby, making 7 in all.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Perhaps it should stop when the problem of racism is eliminated and when no players still feel the brunt of racism and want to continue with it?
    So never then. And when we get another social justice campaign, we should add that in, and more and more and more. And anybody who refuses to do any of them ostracised.

BBC today having a go at England cricket for not taking the knee, demanding to know from Archer why they aren't doing it. After Sky's Holding did the same.
  • Options

When your enemies are making such a terrible mess all by themselves, why intervene...?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Why are you telling me this? I did not vote for Corbyn.
    It was not a reference to you but to the tweet within.
  • Options

So never then. And when we get another social justice campaign, we should add that in, and more and more and more. And anybody who refuses to do any of them ostracised.

BBC today having a go at England cricket for not taking the knee, demanding to know from Archer why they aren't doing it. After Sky's Holding did the same.
    If it never ends then what's wrong with never?

This is something the players want to do. The players have fronted campaigns like Kick It Out for years. Why shouldn't they do this if they want to?

If the Cricketers don't want to so be it too. That's their choice too.

How is it any better to stop the Footballers from doing it than it is to insist that the Cricketers do?
  • Options

I think you have that right.

The thing to bear in mind is that the tories will want a break from Brexit, lockdown, the rule of six and all the other wretchedness.

Somebody out of left field has a chance.
    We often see eye to eye these days, I find myself agreeing with all of your posts
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194

felix said:

I can't bear Corbyn, but on balance the remote chance of a minority Corbyn government looked less dangerous to me than a majority government. After less than a year that view would appear to be vindicated.

As for the Corbyn/ Labour anti-Semitism, it was (and in some cases still is) repugnant. I would add that Conservative Islamaphobia as set out by Baroness Warsi, but largely ignored here, is equally evil.
    Of course that should have said 'majority Johnson government'.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

No upside for him. All downside, heck even if it's long term neutral as Musk's stint was it can be short term bad - but November is the short term !
    Oh wait, upside. I said upside? My mistake, I meant only calamitous election losing down side.

Easy mistake to make.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

This is something the players want to do. The players have fronted campaigns like Kick It Out for years. Why shouldn't they do this if they want to?

How is it any better to stop the Footballers from doing it than it is to insist that the Cricketers do?
    Except that isn't how it is. The BBC literally questioned Archer if his team mates don't support BLM and is so why not. And what exactly are they doing to show their support to this cause instead of taking a knee.

This has become absolute poppyism. If you don't do it, you are picked out. It has happened in the rugby and in the F1. They is no room to say actually I don't support BLM, I think they are a toxic marxist organisation, in the same way as XR are marxist eco loons.

As I say, I thought the NFL had the right approach, they don't use BLM slogan and instead the players stand arm in arm.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    DavidL said:

It's frustrating that this was so unnecessary, so self inflicted, so pointless. It's caused real damage to both the government and Boris. What were they thinking? I just can't work it out.

Either they always intended to ignore the WA or they’ve only just understood what it means.

Malice or incompetence? You pays your money .....
  • Options
    Would he apply the same argument to Hitler's occupation of the Rhineland?

https://twitter.com/DesmondSwayne/status/1305588272882544642
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,819
    The GOP in the USA have become the Trump party . The Tories are now the party of Cummings who relays orders through his puppet Johnson.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:

A leader who won a majority of 80 is preferable to a leader who lost a general election on any definition
    I think you’re confusing some very different things.

Being able to be more popular and promise things is one thing. Being competent and able to make the difficult decisions correctly and in a timely fashion, and then bring the public with you is another.

When we’re talking about “leadership”, we’re actually talking about the latter. You seem to fixate on the former. But being (at one time, at least) one of the more popular kids doesn’t make someone good at doing things, making decisions, and bringing people along in difficult times.
  • Options
    17 confirmed rebels now.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

moonshine said:

RobD said:

moonshine said:

Could still go tits up.

Are you a virologist?

Are you a virologist?
    @moonshine was right though, the trial has resumed. To resume anywhere is to resume.
  • Options
    Nice new look to PB btw. Well done to the 'management'!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

It's frustrating that this was so unnecessary, so self inflicted, so pointless. It's caused real damage to both the government and Boris. What were they thinking? I just can't work it out.

Either they always intended to ignore the WA or they’ve only just understood what it means.

Malice or incompetence? You pays your money .....
    Incompetence every time......

There are bound to be a few malicious types, but I suspect that they are in the Labour Party with the Holy Crusade Against The Tories Brigade. The Tories seem to specialise in either the myopic or the stupid.

Neither are deserving of admiration and our politics would be a lot better if a way could be found to purge both sets.
  • Options
    The Gov't won't be defeated on anything, the majority is too big. If you're a newish MP - well noone is going to remember you as a rebel tommorow, except Dom. And that's not good for your career.
    It's Boris that'll own this one.
  • Options
    ... but hardly surprising. Why would we ever think thay can't?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I like the new look. Any chance of a new-look government, whilst we're at it?
  • Options
    It's the Boris/Cummings party now. No point even pretending it is conservative anymore.

I would ask one small favour of them though. Will you now shut the f*ck up about how you worship the blessed Margaret Thatcher.

She would be utterly appalled by what Johnson has done.

Nor would she be too happy about State Aid for pet IT companies.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited September 2020

Except that isn't how it is. The BBC literally questioned Archer if his team mates don't support BLM and is so why not. And what exactly are they doing to show their support to this cause instead of taking a knee.

This has become absolute poppyism. If you don't do it, you are picked out. It has happened in the rugby and in the F1. They is no room to say actually I don't support BLM, I think they are a toxic marxist organisation, in the same way as XR are marxist eco loons.

As I say, I thought the NFL had the right approach, they don't use BLM slogan and instead the players stand arm in arm.
    The thing is that ultimately taking the knee, or whatever other similar actions are taken, is symbolism. Fine as a starting point, to draw attention to an issue, and show support - but absolutely pointless unless subsequently followed up with action. And ultimately it is action that what matters. Of course there is no reason why you can't do both - but the danger is that many people will come to see the symbolic gesture as sufficient. And not look any further.

Move on from the symbolic gesture and you really are forced to question whether enough is being done to challenge institutional failings. And if in several weeks or months time it appears that nothing has changed, then the symbolic gestures can be revived to shame authorities and individuals to be forced to justify what they've been doing.

I think the other point is that the meaning of the symbolic gestures can come confused. Are they protesting about police actions in the US? Police actions in the UK? Societal failings? Or failings in your own sport?
  • Options

Because if they can, we shouldn't have classrooms full of kids...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    rcs1000 said:

How do you propose we deal with it? Without departing one inch from international law, of course, since that's apparently the most important thing.
    This isn't complicated. You process people quickly, and you charter jets to the countries of origin. It's initially very expensive, but who will pay a people trafficker to get rapidly returned to Syria?

Right now, the UK is an attractive destination because we take five years to process applications.
    Assuming you know what the countries of origin are and that they are willing to take them back. No reason why the sorts of countries from which people escape - Syria, for instance - should do so
  • Options
    Be fair, why shouldn't he say that? Afterall he called in February how the virus was going to go away all by itself and would be all over by Easter so with a track record like that I think he's earnt the right to keep sharing his pearls of wisdom . . .
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Pagan2 said:

Can I ask is it anyone else feels wierd when political opposites like your posts? I am beginning to feel like I defected

I think that politics is so chaotic at present that I find myself often agreeing with posters I would not normally.

Amazingly I actually agreed with one of Scott's post the other day.
    When tribes fall apart, their members have no option but to consider what it is that they actually believe in.
  • Options

You can, just with face coverings, extra tests and so forth.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The thing is that ultimately taking the knee, or whatever other similar actions are taken, is symbolism. Fine as a starting point, to draw attention to an issue, and show support - but absolutely pointless unless subsequently followed up with action. And ultimately it is action that what matters. Of course there is no reason why you can't do both - but the danger is that many people will come to see the symbolic gesture as sufficient. And not look any further.

Move on from the symbolic gesture and you really are forced to question whether enough is being done to challenge institutional failings. And if in several weeks or months time it appears that nothing has changed, then the symbolic gestures can be revived to shame authorities and individuals to be forced to justify what they've been doing.

The other issue is that taking the knee is a) seen by many as related to servitude* and b) now interlinked with BLM, which is an extremely divisive organisation among the public. But if you don't, you are picked out and pointed at as if you must be a racist. One white rugby player had that happened to him and got lots of abuse, and the media had to explain that actually he has an adopted black son and it is the BLM movement he objects to. Billy Vunipola (a person of colour) also had produce an explanation why he wouldn't, again doesn't agree with BLM and is very concerned about some of their actions, and he got a load of abuse about his Christian faith in return.

It is why I guess the cricket have gone away from it and the NFL don't use BLM slogans and come up with another gesture.

* Many see it as you only take the knee for the Queen and your wife.

• Options
    I love the fact that the latest line from Tory MP sheep appears to be that the bill doesn't break International law, it merely threatens to. This is despite the Government literally stating the opposite on the floor of the House of Commons less than a week ago!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

It's the Boris/Cummings party now. No point even pretending it is conservative anymore.

I would ask one small favour of them though. Will you now shut the f*ck up about how you worship the blessed Margaret Thatcher.

She would be utterly appalled by what Johnson has done.

Nor would she be too happy about State Aid for pet IT companies.
    Yes she saw how that sort of scheme worked (it didn't) in the 60s and 70s
  • Options
    Interesting, if worrying, article on FiveThirtyEight:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-trump-loses-and-wont-leave/
  • Options

Interesting, if worrying, article on FiveThirtyEight:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-trump-loses-and-wont-leave/

I am sure it is all bluster from Trump. He says loads of extreme things he is going to do and virtually never follows through.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    Still, at least the Brexit pantomime means nobody is talking about the Covid testing fiasco...

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1305601630012874755
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Still, at least the Brexit pantomime means nobody is talking about the Covid testing fiasco...

Up to three doctors at my mother's GP surgery now stuck at home due to kids with a temperature unable to get a test for love nor money. Fortunately they can still work from home, but so much for the offering of face to face appointments...
  • Options
    The second part of the report, where they announced that it has been found bears shit in the woods, made for positively riveting reading.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The headline is an absolute outrage.

Second rate conman?

Disgraceful.

Johnson’s never made it beyond fifth rate.
  • Options
    The only decent, sensible, and conservative position is to vote against this Republican Party at every level, and bring the sad final days of a once-great political institution to an end. Then build the party back up again—from scratch.

...conservatives must finally accept that at this point Trump and the Republican Party are indistinguishable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/09/i-used-think-gop-should-be-saved/616189/
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Up to three doctors at my mother's GP surgery now stuck at home due to kids with a temperature unable to get a test for love nor money. Fortunately they can still work from home, but so much for the offering of face to face appointments...
    The vast majority of these cases are going to be seasonal colds imho.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

You can, just with face coverings, extra tests and so forth.
    Indeed. My wife's primary school issued all teaching staff with visors today. My daughter's primary school has instigated mandatory mask wearing for all staff and parents when outside the classroom on school property. My son't high school is strongly recommending students wear masks outside the classroom.

Remember that the official Gavin Twatface guidance was that schools should be a mask free zone...
  • Options

alex_ said:

The other issue is that taking the knee is a) seen by many as related to servitude* and b) now interlinked with BLM, which is an extremely divisive organisation among the public. But if you don't, you are picked out and pointed at as if you must be a racist. One white rugby player had that happened to him and got lots of abuse, and the media had to explain that actually he has an adopted black son and it is the BLM movement he objects to. Billy Vunipola (a person of colour) also had produce an explanation why he wouldn't, again doesn't agree with BLM and is very concerned about some of their actions, and he got a load of abuse about his Christian faith in return.

It is why I guess the cricket have gone away from it and the NFL don't use BLM slogans and come up with another gesture.

* Many see it as you only take the knee for the Queen and your wife.

That's a salutory lesson that the easy way out in the short term merely stores up hell for you in the long term.
This discussion has been closed.