Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    TGOHF666 said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Liverpool have just scored....this is possibly one of those seminal games of football...a bit like when Germany played England on Christmas Day during WW1 over the trenches....

I wonder how many extra fatalities will occur as a result of packing 60,000 in a stadium at this stage of the crisis

Worth it to have a home crowd at Anfield ;)
    Sport is like many other activities an optional event, it shouldn’t be taking place it is not essential to the functioning of the world. It sends the wrong message to people that everything is normal. More fool those who have gone to the match but I feel sorry for those who will be ‘collateral damage’.
    Heretic. Sport in Anfield isn't a matter of life or death, its more important than that.
    Liverpool has seen enough of the impact of poor decision making. This could prove to be another case but it really is only a game and irrelevant in the big picture.

Its not only a game, its the Champions League. And there's no scientific reason to shut down stadia without shutting down far more besides it.
    Why would you shut down footie when the tube is open ?

Perhaps because they are playing a team that has brought over thousands of fans from Madrid.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020
    OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Liverpool have just scored....this is possibly one of those seminal games of football...a bit like when Germany played England on Christmas Day during WW1 over the trenches....

I wonder how many extra fatalities will occur as a result of packing 60,000 in a stadium at this stage of the crisis

Sport is like many other activities an optional event, it shouldn’t be taking place it is not essential to the functioning of the world. It sends the wrong message to people that everything is normal. More fool those who have gone to the match but I feel sorry for those who will be ‘collateral damage’.
    Heretic. Sport in Anfield isn't a matter of life or death, its more important than that.
    Liverpool has seen enough of the impact of poor decision making. This could prove to be another case but it really is only a game and irrelevant in the big picture.

Its not only a game, its the Champions League. And there's no scientific reason to shut down stadia without shutting down far more besides it.
    Conveniently ignoring the fact it has unnecessarily brought thousands of fans from the virus hotspot of Madrid into the UK. Idiot
    Yes I don’t disagree with that bit. We surely could have refused flights from Spain (or required a quarantine period that would make seeing the match impractical). We could have compensated them. Just no reason to exclude the whole crowd.

NB: Obviously I do disagree with you calling him an idiot. Grow up.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Or going into lockdown.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Andy_JS said:

"This is what you can conclude;

Countries that are prepared will see a fatality rate of ~0.5% (South Korea) to 0.9% (rest of China).

Countries that are overwhelmed will have a fatality rate between ~3%-5%

Put in another way: Countries that act fast can reduce the number of deaths by ten. And that’s just counting the fatality rate. Acting fast also drastically reduces the cases, making this even more of a no-brainer."

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

He is a Bay Area journalist, author and motivational speaker.

His profile is on LinkedIn.

He has no training in epidemiology, or biology or statistics.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    He’s sharing his broth recipe.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Up until now I have been confident with the government response. This evening, I am now starting to have major doubts.

Why aren't oldies being locked down. If we believe outside events are ok, why are we still hosting things like gigs. Sticking 1000 people in a confined hot sweaty space where they jump up and down with one another, sounds a terrible idea.

Also the weird claim from Hannock that 15 mins within 1m of somebody who is showing symptoms is when you are in danger, when all the academic literature published so people infectious before symptoms show and that you need to give people a much wider berth.

Because it doesn't matter how many people are in a venue. You won't pass a contagion from one end of the venue to the other, you need to be in close proximity to pass it on.
  • Options

OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Conveniently ignoring the fact it has unnecessarily brought thousands of fans from the virus hotspot of Madrid into the UK. Idiot
    Yes I don’t disagree with that bit. We surely could have refused flights from Spain (or required a quarantine period that would make seeing the match impractical). We could have compensated them. Just no reason to exclude the whole crowd.
    And Liverpool / Manchester area is already looking like a bit of a UK hotspot.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Andy_JS said:

Countries that are prepared will see a fatality rate of ~0.5% (South Korea) to 0.9% (rest of China).

Put in another way: Countries that act fast can reduce the number of deaths by ten. And that’s just counting the fatality rate. Acting fast also drastically reduces the cases, making this even more of a no-brainer."

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

lol, a motivational speaker. Is this who we should be taking advice from?
  • Options

Up until now I have been confident with the government response. This evening, I am now starting to have major doubts.

Why aren't oldies being locked down. If we believe outside events are ok, why are we still hosting things like gigs. Sticking 1000 people in a confined hot sweaty space where they jump up and down with one another, sounds a terrible idea.

Also the weird claim from Hannock that 15 mins within 1m of somebody who is showing symptoms is when you are in danger, when all the academic literature published so people infectious before symptoms show and that you need to give people a much wider berth.

Because it doesn't matter how many people are in a venue. You won't pass a contagion from one end of the venue to the other, you need to be in close proximity to pass it on.
    Have you ever been to a rock gig....if you go for it in the mosh pit / circle pit you are going to get bashed around a huge number of people as you circle around.

Also, all those queues getting in, the bar, the toilets, etc.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

TGOHF666 said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

They are playing a team from a city that has over 1200 active cases, I do believe away supporters are in the crowd. Madrid is close to total lockdown but it’s ok to play a game of football with x thousand of away supporters not just in the stadium but in the bars, airport, hotels etc throughout the city.
    FCO isn't barring travel from Spain. If they think that's a good idea they should do that not f**k around with high profile events like the football while ignoring everything else.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yeah right Polly you clearly know mch more than the CMO and the CSO - if only you hadn't been held back and forced to be a twitter troll because you're a woman.
    Who is Polly Curtis and why is her opinion relevant or valuable?
  • Options
    matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yeah right Polly you clearly know mch more than the CMO and the CSO - if only you hadn't been held back and forced to be a twitter troll because you're a woman.
    blue tick.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

There is little point in doing a science degree, a PhD, many years of postdoctoral training and research.

We can find an expert on twitter who costs nothing and knows everything.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

You are beyond parody, it’s a stupid unnecessary risk. It’s not about being in the stadium it’s about the bars restaurants and hotels ,the airport tomorrow. Your only concern seems to be that you may have to sort out child care facilities if they close schools and Liverpool may be robbed of their EPL title. Given that it is illegal for Atletico to play in front of a crowd in Spain it’s ridiculous that they can play in front of one in the UK
  • Options

OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Indeed. But if the FCO or COBR want to exclude tourists from Spain they should do that. A few football fans is just a tiny fraction of the tourists coming over so why do just that? Its a half-arsed, half-hearted, half-thought-through suggestion.
  • Options

nichomar said:

TGOHF666 said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

They are playing a team from a city that has over 1200 active cases, I do believe away supporters are in the crowd. Madrid is close to total lockdown but it’s ok to play a game of football with x thousand of away supporters not just in the stadium but in the bars, airport, hotels etc throughout the city.
    FCO isn't barring travel from Spain. If they think that's a good idea they should do that not f**k around with high profile events like the football while ignoring everything else.
    I suppose the other balancing point is that, given that Madrid is the Spanish capital, absent a wider travel ban does this number of away fans register on the “how many people from Madrid are in the U.K. at the minute” metric? Dunno.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.
    ? She has one? Is that important?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270
    edited March 2020

Lock down UK now.

Dmail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8100411/Number-UK-coronavirus-cases-soars-456.html

I assume the game theory types in Downing Street have factored in the day in which the newspapers scream and beg for lockdown?

The key thing to consider is how many undiagnosed cases of Coronavirus are in the UK.

The outbreak has doubled in the UK in the last 4 days. If it continues at the same rate then we can expect around 5,000 total cases in 14 days time.

If that is the case then we can guess there are 500 diagnosed and 4,500 undiagnosed cases right now. Is this enough to make a lockdown worthwhile of a population of 60 million?

Based on the Italians struggling to cope with 12,000 cases its suggest we should lock down soon (maybe the next day or 2)
    The problem the Italians have is that their cases are mostly in or near a few towns. Our spread should make it easier to deal with.

Back of a fag packet, the UK has about 4000 ICU and high dependency beds. They reckon about one in five hospitalised patients will need intensive care, meaning we can cope with 20000 inpatients. They reckon about one in seven carriers will need hospital hence 140000 carriers.

You get some spare capacity from re-using beds during the quarantine, but need to knock off something for contingency/margin of error, something for uneven regional distribution, and for people unavoidably in intensive care for other conditions. Say half, 70000.

Then allow for the proportion of unidentified carriers, say another half. Meaning the UK trigger point comes two to three weeks ahead of when we can expect 35000 identified carriers. If it is doubling twice a week then that suggests you’d be looking somewhere around 1500 confirmed cases range before you trigger the quarantine (maybe more, if you assume a slowing of infection rate a while after quarantine starts)

These numbers and assumptions may be WAY OFF, but the thought process is likely to replicate what, based on the expert opinions expressed on Newsnight, someone is working through.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Sorry but anyone who quotes Shankly's dictum that football is more important than life and death as a justification for playing a game bringing thousands from Madrid in the current circumstances richly deserves to be called an idiot.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Is that he always says when confronted with allegations involving a lady?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373
    edited March 2020

Lock down UK now.

Dmail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8100411/Number-UK-coronavirus-cases-soars-456.html

I assume the game theory types in Downing Street have factored in the day in which the newspapers scream and beg for lockdown?

To be fair, that's quite astute psychology - much easier to implement and enforce draconian measures when the public are begging you for them than when they're still blasé resistant.
    In case anyone is *still* catching up - lock downs etc. will slow the advance of the disease to something like zero. Which will the return when the measures are lifted . Which will then be required again... lather, rinse, repeat. Until enough of the population has been exposed (or a vaccine is created) to prevent it catching hold again.

That is what flattening the curve will look like in the medium term.

China is at the end of Round 1 in this....
  • Options

Or going into lockdown.
    'Lock him up'
  • Options
    In Sydney, Australia’s most populous city and the centre of the Australian outbreak of Covid-19, the premier of New South Wales Gladys Berejiklian has just announced there are now 77 cases across that state, out of 128 in Australia.

Most of the cases are patients who have travelled overseas or who have had close contact with a confirmed case in Australia.

Perhaps there is hope about summer....
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Quincel said:
    Now this is what you do (albeit a day late); instead we seem to have a plan based on not doing something until the population tells us it’s okay to do it. Leadership means annoying voters when needed.
  • Options
    Earlier, the UK’s health secretary, Matt Hancock, said the number of cases could keep rising for months. He has since said he expects the outbreak not to last a year.

Just think about that...we can write off normal life for most of the rest of the year in the best case scenario.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

He is going to resign isn't he

Been a shift in rhetoric today, "nobody could have seen this coming etc". Presumably they intend to try take control, move towards emergency powers etc, make him some assertive rather than a victim of events.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

There is little point in doing a science degree, a PhD, many years of postdoctoral training and research.

https://twitter.com/PeterKolchinsky/status/1237581727867924488
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    TGOHF666 said:

Because it's non-essential, and unless you're going into complete lockdown mode shutting the tube down would cause more crowding elsewhere. If you scale back the non-essential travel, the tube will become less crowded and less dangerous for people who really need to travel.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    Now this is what you do (albeit a day late); instead we seem to have a plan based on not doing something until the population tells us it’s okay to do it. Leadership means annoying voters when needed.
    Isn't the trouble sustaining it? If you do it too early people will get restless and/or run out of stockpiled bog roll.
  • Options
    Fill in your own joke here.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

Or going into lockdown.
    'Lock him up'
    Nah, he's going to say it is all Biden's fault.
  • Options
    matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.
    She went Camden High School for Girls. She has a degree in politics from Leeds, and an MA in Journalism from Goldsmiths.

She writes for the Guardian. She worked for HuffPo. She leads the Tortoise Network, "a new form of inclusive membership for news"

And finally, she is world expert on epidemiology, like everyone else on Twitter.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    ukpaul.....long time no see...the last time you were posting here Man City were in the championship....

• Options

Earlier, the UK’s health secretary, Matt Hancock, said the number of cases could keep rising for months. He has since said he expects the outbreak not to last a year.

Just think about that...we can write off normal life for most of the rest of the year in the best case scenario.

Na, once a good fraction get it there's not point restricting people.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

Sorry but anyone who quotes Shankly's dictum that football is more important than life and death as a justification for playing a game bringing thousands from Madrid in the current circumstances richly deserves to be called an idiot.
    Anyone who couldn't tell it was a joke deserves to be called an idiot.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Is that he always says when confronted with allegations involving a lady?
    :lol: Post of the day.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    This is what you end up doing if you failed to do less disruptive things earlier, as per the UK's current "fail to do less disruptive things earlier" plan.
  • Options

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.
    She went Camden High School for Girls. She has a degree in politics from Leeds, and an MA in Journalism from Goldsmiths.

She writes for the Guardian. She worked for HuffPo. She leads the Tortoise Network, "a new form of inclusive membership for news"

And finally, she is world expert on epidemiology, like everyone else on Twitter.
    How did she get a job at the Guardian with that CV? No private school, no Oxbridge, I thought that instantly meant your CV went in the bin.
  • Options
    matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Former Guardian. Health or Social affairs iirc,
  • Options

Or going into lockdown.
    Or announce his test result
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    Andrew said:

He is going to resign isn't he

Been a shift in rhetoric today, "nobody could have seen this coming etc". Presumably they intend to try take control, move towards emergency powers etc, make him some assertive rather than a victim of events.

Problem for Trump is that all those old quotes will come back to haunt him...again and again....
  • Options

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.

Thank you. Somebody here thought her opinion worth sharing. They must have looked at the same thing that you did, read and considered what she wrote and thought - that opinion offers knowledge, nuance, moves people’s thoughts forward and brings expertise that I must share. Genuinely strange.
  • Options

He only said that was what they were doing with Nadine. Because the alternative is sending half the Tory party into self isolation for two weeks.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    RobD said:

Matt Hancock is clearly ill looking at him, sweating like his Iranian counterpart.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    Isn't the trouble sustaining it? If you do it too early people will get restless and/or run out of stockpiled bog roll.
    Again leadership, also education. Confront people with the consequences of acting later, make sure that they know what is likely to happen if they don’t comply. We aren’t China, not even Singapore but appeal to the Blitz spirit or something. They’ll thank you later.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The graph was produced by Pueyo (I just checked his article again). He describes his model as one that "loosely resembles Hubei".

No scientist would produce a graph like that with its ridiculous 40 per cent vertical line.

Anyone with a reasonable knowledge of statistics would produce a graph that models the uncertainties with confidence limits.

Peter Kolchinsky seems to be a tech entrepreneur, who a while back did a PhD in virology -- not epidemiology.
  • Options
    egg said:

RobD said:

Matt Hancock is clearly ill looking at him, sweating like his Iranian counterpart.
    I'm guessing he hasn't had all that much sleep these days.
  • Options
    egg said:

RobD said:

Dr Google diagnoses via the medium of Samsung OLED. Should save money, patients can just mail a selfie.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The graph was produced by Pueyo (I just checked his article again). He describes his model as one that "loosely resembles Hubei".

No scientist would produce a graph like that with its ridiculous 20 per cent vertical line.

Anyone with a reasonable knowledge of statistics would produce a graph that models the uncertainties with confidence limits.

Peter Kolchinsky seems to be a tech entrepreneur, who a while back did a PhD in virology -- not epidemiology.
    That's a model constructed by the motivational speaker?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He only said that was what they were doing with Nadine. Because the alternative is sending half the Tory party into self isolation for two weeks.
    That maybe, but it sends out the message to the wider public that is ok. The Italians did the same initially, i.e. your fine old man going out to the same bar you go everyday, as long as your mate Luigi doesn't come within 1m of you.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

That's what you say now, either way it's a flippant and irresponsible attitude to your football club bringing in thousands of people from Madrid through the airports, hotels, restaurants and transport systems of the region just to play a game for 90 minutes.
  • Options

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.

How did she get a job at the Guardian with that CV? No private school, no Oxbridge, I thought that instantly meant your CV went in the bin.
    She went to Leeds. The greatest university in the land. :smiley:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,161

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.

Last paragraph is fake news. From what I saw of last night's BBC Newsnight the mantle of world expert on epidemiology was tacitly bestowed upon Nigel Farage.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

That maybe, but it sends out the message to the wider public that is ok. The Italians did the same initially, i.e. your fine old man going out to the same bar you go everyday, as long as your mate Luigi doesn't come within 1m of you.
    He looked a bit shifty saying it, as if he knew he was undermining the wider message. I reckon they’ll be tracing and testing people who had earlier contact with her (they are already doing her Thursday dinner companions) and just praying it hasn’t spread to anyone very critical.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So Italy follows China

Good luck to them... and to us in our turn
  • Options
    tyson said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    ukpaul.....long time no see...the last time you were posting here Man City were in the championship....

Hello tyson, it’s been years since I posted here (a bit less than ten?). Lurked on and off for a bit but this situation seems just too serious to not comment on.

Yes, City have come up in the world again. Having lived through the playoff against Gillingham to get us out of the third tier twenty years ago, it’s been a welcome change!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

No scientist would produce a graph like that with its ridiculous 20 per cent vertical line.

That's a model constructed by the motivational speaker?
    It is modelling, Henrietta-style.
  • Options

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.

Last paragraph is fake news. From what I saw of last night's BBC Newsnight the mantle of world expert on epidemiology was tacitly bestowed upon Nigel Farage.
    Farrago is a world expert on everything.
  • Options
    Floater said:

So Italy follows China

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8101135/Intensive-care-units-stop-treating-elderly-coronavirus-outbreak-worsens.html

Coming to a lot more of Europe soon
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,161
    I have been out all day working like a dog, so no time to lurk.

By the number of posts on the last two threads, it would appear that most PB posters have been de-mobbed to work at home until the Coronavirus crisis subsides.

Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    New cases in Japan holding steady around 50 per day, the testing effort is still weak but it's improving, seems like the strategy's working:

https://covid19japan.com/#chart-legend-container
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

So Italy follows China

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8101135/Intensive-care-units-stop-treating-elderly-coronavirus-outbreak-worsens.html

Sorry headline doesnt tell whole story

Italy announces all shops except pharmacies and food outlets will be CLOSED as coronavirus death toll climbs by 31% to 827 in 24 hours and intensive care units are advise to stop treating the elderly
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

tyson said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:

Hello tyson, it’s been years since I posted here (a bit less than ten?). Lurked on and off for a bit but this situation seems just too serious to not comment on.

Yes, City have come up in the world again. Having lived through the playoff against Gillingham to get us out of the third tier twenty years ago, it’s been a welcome change!
    I wondered where you disappeared to...one of pbCOM's more urbane and thoughtful posters, a bit left of centre, teacher and fellow City fan.....

I'm glad to see you back

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    Floater said:

Floater said:

So Italy follows China

It's called triage.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

tyson said:

That's what you say now, either way it's a flippant and irresponsible attitude to your football club bringing in thousands of people from Madrid through the airports, hotels, restaurants and transport systems of the region just to play a game for 90 minutes.
    No I don't just say so now, I said so at the time - I put a ;) emoji in and used the word "Heretic" - does that sound like someone being serious?

Its neither flippant nor irresponsible when COBR and the FCO haven't advised against it. If there is a decision to shut that down it should be a decision made by the CMO or CSO because they think the science calls for it.

As Klopp said the other day he's a football manager and has nothing to say about coronavirus, leave it to the experts.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    We have a plan based on following the advice of the epidemiologists. I may not necessarily like that plan and may decide to take extra precautions myself but, just like you, I am not an expert on this. I assume the CMO is, or at least has a team of experts around him.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Interesting thread on the budget. This, like all other budgets, is ultimately a political statement. Rightly or wrongly the Conservative Party has abandoned all fiscal restraint, which is quite an astonishing thing to say.

https://twitter.com/prospect_clark/status/1237773324672958464

They will find once it’s has been lost, credibility is hard to win back. By following the Trump path may have the 80 seat majority and think they are winning, but the whole point of Trumpism is to burn tomorrow’s to have today, promise big burn bright, and as it burns down it takes everything else with it.

but why argue tonight? we will know in short to medium terms if such a big splurge with money we haven’t got is proved a huge mistake, and in the longer term politically, if these stoked promises materialise into reality or just sense of deceit in an even more divided and broken Britain.   
  • Options
    And another cabinet minister goes into self isolation

A cabinet minister is self-isolating while they await test results, a government source has confirmed, thought they would not confirm the identity of the minister.
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

So Italy follows China

It's called triage.
    Sorry, I meant the shops part - hence my next post explaining the headline was not the part I was trying to get across
  • Options

By the number of posts on the last two threads, it would appear that most PB posters have been de-mobbed to work at home until the Coronavirus crisis subsides.

Keep up the good work.

I now work for the Ministry of Justice and have spent a delightful day today ribbing my haughty colleagues that we are likely to be re-deployed to the prisons....

On a serious note though...if we stop prison social visits, who is going to bring in the drugs into the prisons?
  • Options
    Trump on tonight’s big announcement:

” I'll be making some decisions. I've already made some decisions, actually, today, but I'll be making some other ones that are very important," he added.

Trump said the address would include economic and health announcements.

"We'll be talking about that later. All those things we're making a decision on," he added.

Speaking about the global impact of the virus and potential changes to US travel restrictions, Trump said: "We'll be starting some additional solutions."

"We made a great decision on China and Asia and they're healing ... we could start to think about getting back involved in that part of the world," Trump said, adding that Europe is in "very tough shape."

And we'll be making various decisions," he said. "You'll be hearing about them ... tonight."
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/michaelscherer/status/1237859667994238979

All these predictions by Western governments suggests they don't believe that only 90k Chinese got it and 3000 died.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Keep up the good work.

I now work for the Ministry of Justice and have spent a delightful day today ribbing my haughty colleagues that we are likely to be re-deployed to the prisons....

On a serious note though...if we stop prison social visits, who is going to bring in the drugs into the prisons?
    If TV dramas have any basis on reality it will be the prison guards.
  • Options
    I recall seeing a chart a few days ago saying it can survive on plastic for (I think) five days.
  • Options
    Get in Atletico....
  • Options
    tyson said:

ukpaul said:

tyson said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:

I wondered where you disappeared to...one of pbCOM's more urbane and thoughtful posters, a bit left of centre, teacher and fellow City fan.....

I'm glad to see you back

You’re too kind....

Yep, that’s me. Horrified by Corbyn, terrified of Trump (probably me and millions of others in that group). Creaking towards retirement now though, maybe next year or the year after. It was education matters that brought me back, in fact. I moved a while ago to somewhere with a considerable number of international students so I’m getting an interesting viewpoint. Chinese/Hong Kong students going from being relieved they are here, to thinking they’d be better off back home, for one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I recall seeing a chart a few days ago saying it can survive on plastic for (I think) five days.
    Again pointing the figure at aeroplanes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    Ooops.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Again pointing the figure at aeroplanes.
    And cruise ships. ;)
  • Options
    Adrian :angry:
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

There has been claims of up to 6-9 days on metal.

Obviously the biggest concern is it being still airborne for hours, if true it is effectively a chemical weapon. Although, the researchers are saying they don't know if this is actually how transmission occurs and tests with SARS produced similar results.
  • Options
    Floater said:

A cabinet minister is self-isolating while they await test results, a government source has confirmed, thought they would not confirm the identity of the minister.

Well if it isn't Raab, they really are dropping like flies....
  • Options
    Liverpool going all Spursy....
  • Options

Floater said:

Well if it isn't Raab, they really are dropping like flies....
    I wonder why they haven't revealed who it is?
  • Options
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    We have a plan based on following the advice of the epidemiologists. I may not necessarily like that plan and may decide to take extra precautions myself but, just like you, I am not an expert on this. I assume the CMO is, or at least has a team of experts around him.

The government had a plan to deal with Hitler in the late 30s. The plan was basically: ignore him and hope he'd go away. Meanwhile Churchill demanded rearmament, from the sidelines. Churchill was right
    Don’t talk ignorant shit. Britain rearmed like crazy from the mid30s onwards.
  • Options

Adrian :angry:

It was poor. There’s time. There’s time... Right?...
  • Options
    You'd have thought cabinet ministers would be able to get test results in hours, not days.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    To be honest I am not fazed by that. Through my own ignorance I had already assumed it could last on surfaces for several days and had been acting accordingly.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    matt said:

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    blue tick.

Thank you. Somebody here thought her opinion worth sharing. They must have looked at the same thing that you did, read and considered what she wrote and thought - that opinion offers knowledge, nuance, moves people’s thoughts forward and brings expertise that I must share. Genuinely strange.
    It was @Scott_P ...
  • Options
    This thread is now LOCKED DOWN......
  • Options

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I see Guido’s not impressed with the budget.

Can't blame him - everything he thought he loved about Boris has evaporated before his eyes.
    Yes, those who thought they had elected a Conservative promising "Thatcherism on steroids" now discover they have elected a big spending social democrat.

It's no surprise the Conservatives are polling 50% - everyone loves big public spending especially if there are no tax rises. Blair did something similar and he was very popular for a while.

The Conservatives have their own Tony Blair - I wonder if in 20 years time Johnson's reputation will be the same as Blair's is now.
    Bozza must be the most leftwing Tory PM of all time.
    The word you're looking for is "populist".
    Sky explained the dismissive word 'populist' as a government listening to the electorate and reflecting their wishes in their policies
    I’ll explain the word populist. Populism pushes the idea of popular sovereignty above the independence of democratic institutions, and the professionalism of the representatives of those institutions. populism doesn’t respect government, civil service to politicians. This is Trump. This is Boris. And Mussolini and Hitler. populist opportunism masquerading as values and agenda for government, a Moralist ideology believing it is the voice of all the people, deaf to anyone with a different view. They have hi jacked conservatism, and they are trashing it.

• Options
    Liverpool out surely
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited March 2020
    So, Codogno, the town of 15000 where the Italy outbreak originated, had its first day today of no new cases.

In the province, Lodi, we have had the 5th consecutive day of sub 10% increments, the 40% compound increase over those 5 days has taken the province's infection rate to around 0.45%.

This is why I cannot get my head around the idea of a 70% infection rate, it simply does not chime with what we are seeing, place-by-place, nor with how previous pandemics have scaled with time. So, if 70% is being bandied around, I'm really not seeing why? OK, 70% is possible and has been seen in flus and plagues, I get that, but this Coronavirus does not seem to be behaving like that kind of beastie, even if you allow that future pandemic waves will be bigger.

Equally, the cries of China must be lying, Iran must be lying are tiresome, bandied about with numbers that are so far out of whack with anything we have seen elsewhere as to be fantastical. OK, Iran could very well be underreporting, their public health response could be so continuingly poor that the numbers are multiples of what we are seeing in Europe. But the lurid made up stuff is just someone pulling a number out of the air like some Tiddler the Storytelling Pandemic Fish?

It is reasonable to ask why not 70%. I don't know. Could it be co-immunity from other strains - might explain kids' immunities, given they tend to be snot factories at the best of times, and in environments of large scale and rotating close mingling. Could it simply be the slower time to onward infection (5 days vs 1.5 for flu) meaning health measures can better keep apace with the somewhat gentler exponent. But it seems, from the evidence, that 70% really is not where we are heading on any sensible reading.

OK, it could be 70% over 10-20 years if this becomes nativised. But there will be a lot of tuning of health care responses, a lot of medical development, a lot of mutation of the virus in the meantime.

It's not just flu if you get it, the deadliness is greater, the chance of needing intensive care is greater - this ICU need appears to be the very crux of the challenge - but the spread - that is clearly less, and it can be used to peg back the whole public health challenge.onto, yes, a scale akin to a really bad flu season, if we do this well.
This discussion has been closed.