Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited March 2020 in General

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Did you not hear? We want a government that is going to GET IT DONE.

Until we don't of course.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT

Scott_xP said:

Spain looks like it could be the next flashpoint.

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1237750684629504001
    I just don't know what to say about the idiot behaviour on display. It was like yesterday the footage of big queues of people waiting to get refunds for their lift passes in Italy. What is more important, you health or 200 euro you spent on a lift pass (and the fact you are there in the first place suggests that amount of money is peanuts to you).
    Its human nature.

That's why the government's scientists are advising against shutting everything down at the moment, because they know that even if we did that people would react like this. Because they understand how people think.

If you tell people they aren't infected but have two weeks off then what did you expect them to do? Go home and read a book and watch Netflix? No, that's not what they're going to do.

People need to be educated FIRST and then you can consider telling them to stay at home, once you think they'll actually listen to you. You can't put the cart before the horse.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,517
    DavidL said:

Can it Get Coronavirus Done, please.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Scott_xP said:

I just don't know what to say about the idiot behaviour on display. It was like yesterday the footage of big queues of people waiting to get refunds for their lift passes in Italy. What is more important, you health or 200 euro you spent on a lift pass (and the fact you are there in the first place suggests that amount of money is peanuts to you).
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

geoffw said:

Aside from triage, the policy wrt age should be that older people self isolate as far as possible, and no particular exhortation be addressed to those born after about 1960 other than hand-washing. The more herd immunity they build up with their functioning immune systems the better for everyone.

Is there any herd immunity? I thought no one was immune from it.
    I think those that get infected generate antibodies which makes them immune.
    Haven't there been cases of people getting it twice? But perhaps that was another strain or something.
    There were some reports, but most people put it down to a false report on a test, leading to them being released too early.

In Japan, the British couple of the cruise liner, say you have to have 2 negative tests in a row before they will consider releasing them.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Can it Get Coronavirus Done, please.
    That would be nice. If I was a newspaper editor I would be holding the front page until after the 7pm statement. It may prove more dramatic than the budget.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    Fifth
  • Options
    FPT
    TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

And given the oaf across the pond, simply doing it but not making a big deal about it could be a smart move.

Eliminating business rates but having a tax like this replace it is massively productive and beneficial.
  • Options
    BREAKING: A Viking river cruise in Cambodia has been quarantined because a British passenger tested positive for Corona
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BREAKING: A Viking river cruise in Cambodia has been quarantined because a British passenger tested positive for Corona

I think cruise liner business are going to go the way the same way as after the titanic disaster.
  • Options

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

And given the oaf across the pond, simply doing it but not making a big deal about it could be a smart move.

Eliminating business rates but having a tax like this replace it is massively productive and beneficial.
    And how do we collect/assess this exactly? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that the mainly US internet giants are parasitical, feeding off our society but putting very little back. I am just not sure how we audit what Google earns off search engines in the UK. They may not even know themselves.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    I knew the vikings got to distant places, but Cambodia!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

And how do we collect/assess this exactly? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that the mainly US internet giants are parasitical, feeding off our society but putting very little back. I am just not sure how we audit what Google earns off search engines in the UK. They may not even know themselves.
    I bet they do know themselves.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
  • Options
    A Barclays employee has tested positive for coronavirus in its 5 North Colonnade office in London’s Canary Wharf financial district, the bank has confirmed.

An employee on the ninth floor of the building, which mainly houses Barclays investment bank workers, tested positive for the disease, the bank said.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    From the Guardian:

The OBR predicts that house price inflation will hit 7.5% in the third quarter of 2021, then to ease back to 4.1% by 2024.

Overall, the watchdog expect house prices to rise by 23% between the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2024. It had previously expected a 17% increase, before today’s measures were taken into account.

Death Duty windfall coming the way of the CoTE?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

IanB2 said:

I think cruise liner business are going to go the way the same way as after the titanic disaster.
    Kate Winslett will star?
  • Options

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

Am I the only one that was astonished that the cost of basically cancelling commercial rates for small businesses for a year was....£1bn? Or, to put it another way, government spending for a morning? It seems an incredible amount of grief for such a small sum of money. I wonder if this might become permanent, especially if it fills up some gaps on the High Street.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Interesting header from Ms Cyclefree. Cultural complacency is a big problem in Britain, even more so when having an unwritten constitution requires you *not* to be complacent at all times.

Re ; current events, I can see an interesting scenario where southern countries' cultural differences and so greater exposure to the virus give the EU political cover to provide the kind of stimuli, over and above emergency, that they didn't last time ; in the same way the virus seems to have given political cover for Boris Johnson to return to Keynesianism. In that event the virus could have the unlikely effect of strengthening both the EU and Britain's integrity.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    First 3 deaths in Belgium. I trust that Andy will soon be reassuring us that Belgium isn't actually in North-West Europe.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I do agree that it’s worse than the flu (obviously) but I do think we need to be careful on mortality rate. We only know of cases where someone has felt wretched enough (or concerned enough) to get tested. We hear that a number of people will get a very mild infection and there must be a good chance that those who have a day or two in bed or lazing around with a “bad cold” might not even bother to ring 111. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be concerned about this virus, but it is a point to bear in mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

Same way other businesses get assessed presumably. With hefty penalties if evasion is discovered to encourage honest reporting.

One would assume that British companies paying Google to advertise to British consumers should be relatively easy to figure out. Multinationals advertising across Europe etc might be a bit harder to figure out.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    I wonder whether the democracy vs authoritarianism argument might work in unpredictable ways. Perhaps President Trump’s reaction to coronavirus, along with its consequences, will help U.S. citizens (some of them) to see that they should be on the side of democracy, whereas P.M. Johnson’s reaction might encourage U.K. citizens (some of them) to stick on the side of our would-be authoritarian government.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    About to watch.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1237760976482598913

Boris Johnson asks Deputy Chief Medical Officer about Coronavirus 19.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

Am I the only one that was astonished that the cost of basically cancelling commercial rates for small businesses for a year was....£1bn? Or, to put it another way, government spending for a morning? It seems an incredible amount of grief for such a small sum of money. I wonder if this might become permanent, especially if it fills up some gaps on the High Street.
    I agree completely. Its a massively damaging tax for many businesses that must be paid whether taking revenues or not. Why not eliminate it, which would be great news.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    edited March 2020
    While they are sometimes annoying, the fact that we have a small army of very bright lawyers who enjoy nothing more than using the system to ensure that our courts do the job of requiring government to obey the law (the bright lawyers enriching themselves in the process) is not insignificant.

That, the ballot box and the British hatred of theory, ideas and systematised beliefs of any description is our imperfect but best defence.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well, it was a "ferry" service at the time and went from strength to strength until the advent of the jet airliner - finally overtaking seaborne North Atlantic passenger numbers in 1958.....46 years later
  • Options
    geoffw said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

I am sure that they can produce accounts showing anything from a loss to a profit of a billion. How will we know if they are right? We cannot audit them. Its not like buying a takeaway and seeing if it shows up in the VAT return.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Scott_xP said:
    I do agree that it’s worse than the flu (obviously) but I do think we need to be careful on mortality rate. We only know of cases where someone has felt wretched enough (or concerned enough) to get tested. We hear that a number of people will get a very mild infection and there must be a good chance that those who have a day or two in bed or lazing around with a “bad cold” might not even bother to ring 111. That’s not to say we shouldn’t be concerned about this virus, but it is a point to bear in mind.
    On the flipside, China tested 320,000 samples, and found that there was no iceberg effect, and that the mortality was closer to 3.4%, including those with minimal to mild symptoms.

WHO: More of a surprise, and this is something we still don’t understand, is how little virus there was in the much broader community. Everywhere we went, we tried to find and understand how many tests had been done, how many people were tested, and who were they.

In Guangdong province, for example, there were 320,000 tests done in people coming to fever clinics, outpatient clinics. And at the peak of the outbreak, 0.47 percent of those tests were positive. People keep saying [the cases are the] tip of the iceberg. But we couldn’t find that. We found there’s a lot of people who are cases, a lot of close contacts — but not a lot of asymptomatic circulation of this virus in the bigger population. And that’s different from flu. In flu, you’ll find this virus right through the child population, right through blood samples of 20 to 40 percent of the population.
    https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

Assuming an iceberg effect when there is *no* evidence of one so far could be a very costly example of normalcy bias.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Its clear why...we all have a certain level of immunity to the flu, thus the body had a head start when we pick it up. With this, nobody has encountered it before, so for a good week or so, it appears the body is totally unaware there is an issue, then another week where it tries to fight it. Its seems 90%, either never show large outward symptoms or their body eventually is able to win the battle.

The problem is the 10%...they go downhill rapidly and of those at least 5% will die without assisted breathing before the body gets any chance to win the fight.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Signs of problems to come. A lot of Tory MP's looked a bit dazzled and surprised to be waking up in a very kind of different political dawn this lunchtime, screwing up their eyes. The dazzlement is probably positive for now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    On topic, a sign of how illiberal a Government would like to be is the laws they pass to allow that to happen. I would cite in support of this the Civil Contingencies Act and the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, both passed by the Blair Government, both of which give huge powers to the Government to ride roughshod over people's rights and the democratic process.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

I knew the vikings got to distant places, but Cambodia!

Surely one of Ragnar’s sons. The TV series will get there, eventually. That was some fine rowing, for sure.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:
    On the flipside, China tested 320,000 samples, and found that there was no iceberg effect, and that the mortality was closer to 3.4%, including those with minimal to mild symptoms.

WHO: More of a surprise, and this is something we still don’t understand, is how little virus there was in the much broader community. Everywhere we went, we tried to find and understand how many tests had been done, how many people were tested, and who were they.

In Guangdong province, for example, there were 320,000 tests done in people coming to fever clinics, outpatient clinics. And at the peak of the outbreak, 0.47 percent of those tests were positive. People keep saying [the cases are the] tip of the iceberg. But we couldn’t find that. We found there’s a lot of people who are cases, a lot of close contacts — but not a lot of asymptomatic circulation of this virus in the bigger population. And that’s different from flu. In flu, you’ll find this virus right through the child population, right through blood samples of 20 to 40 percent of the population.

Assuming an iceberg effect when there is *no* evidence of one so far could be a very costly example of normalcy bias.
    On the flipside, one positive take is also be that a large proportion of the population have some inbuilt level of immunity to it.

A city of 11 million people all in high density housing had this freely spreading for nearly 2 months, and even if we don't fully believe the Chinese figures, it was still only fraction of the residents.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Good Lord

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1237706850788945921

What the hell is the DM journalist playing at ?
  • Options

Signs of problems to come. A lot of Tory MP's looked a bit dazzled and surprised to be waking up in a very kind of different political dawn this lunchtime, screwing up their eyes. The dazzlement is probably positive for now.
    It's a bit of a sugar rush, with hangover to follow, to mix metaphors....
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

Scott_xP said:

Try Cheltenham races.

• Options
    DavidL said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

I am sure that they can produce accounts showing anything from a loss to a profit of a billion. How will we know if they are right? We cannot audit them. Its not like buying a takeaway and seeing if it shows up in the VAT return.
    Is it not? With Making Tax Digital don't the government have all sorts of information it never used to have?

Takeaway reports it in its VAT return that they've paid Google.

Google doesn't report the income in its return.

Google has an issue that HMRC can investigate.

Or is the system not that clever?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    DavidL said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

It says it's based on revenue. Which is much much harder to fiddle.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good Lord

Being a DM journalist, sadly.

If the toilet paper shortage continues, there might finally be a worthwhile use for their product.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good Lord

On top of the moral issue, these are supposed be intelligent connected people who will have all seen the footage from China and Italy...and yet they still think this is like some minister having got caught sending a dodgy tweet and thus must doorstep them.

If somebody have Ebola would they even entertain that idea? No
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

On the flipside, one positive take is also be that a large proportion of the population have some inbuilt level of immunity to it.

A city of 11 million people all in high density housing had this freely spreading for nearly 2 months, and even if we don't fully believe the Chinese figures, it was still only fraction of the residents.
    Maybe, maybe not. Assuming 5 days to double, and saying the day where 10 people were infected as day 0, by day 60 you have... 33,750 cases. All evidence is that China went into lockdown at the critical point.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited March 2020
    So the experts say facemasks are not helpful unless you actually have the disease to protect others. What do the armchair epidemiologists think?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe maybe not. Assuming 5 days to double, and saying the day where 10 people were infected as day 0, by day 60 you have... 33,750 cases.
    But it was nearly 3 months before the lockdown. People had this at least back in November.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

Boris should be fine. Most of the Tories who are likely to feel aggrieved still see him as a hero who delivered Brexit against all the odds. They owe him everything.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

But as I understand it this isn’t an antibody test - which shows whether you have ever carried the virus. The test shows positive when the virus is active, then goes negative once you are considered ‘cured’. Yet you still have the antibodies.
  • Options

DavidL said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

Is it not? With Making Tax Digital don't the government have all sorts of information it never used to have?

I don't think it is now but the Chancellor did give a boost to HMRC in pursuit of "aggressive" tax avoidance. Hopefully they will not spend it all on IR35 cases.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Cannot disagree that we cannot assume countries will not become more illiberal. These things need fighting over again and again.
  • Options
    RobD said:

So the experts say facemasks are not helpful unless you actually have the disease to protect others. What do the armchair epidemiologists think?
    Eadric has yet to explain what is the point of his orange rubber gloves.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

Pulpstar said:

Good Lord

On top of the moral issue, these are supposed be intelligent connected people who will have all seen the footage from China and Italy...and yet they still think this is like some minister having got caught sending a dodgy tweet and thus must doorstep them.

If somebody have Ebola would they even entertain that idea? No
    Whoever doorstepped Nadine should be sent to Italy to observe one of their many ICU wards. I don't think they'd ever doorstep anyone ever again. Absolute scum.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I don't like this continued "its very mild for lots of people" message. I know it is to calm, but even among the 80-90% that don't need to go near a hospital, many people have reported it as imagine the absolute worst flu you have ever had and some even with small amount of pneumonia.

You are making it sound like every young person should have a Corona party....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

With Making Tax Digital don't the government have all sorts of information it never used to have?

The methodology to get to those numbers has to be from accounts packages extractions (Or direct from software). In our case, Gov't has exactly the same info as before. If they requested an inspection they'd wade through loads of .csv files to get that info now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Oracle, Boris Johnson enjoys buying headlines to try and make himself popular.

The current crisis may require more spending, and it's been amusing to watch the shift in criticism from the Government not doing enough in the morning to overdoing it in the afternoon, but whatever happens I expect this splurging to continue.

Perhaps like Henry IV, his prosperity and comfort in his private life has led him to misunderstand to nature of public finances to the detriment of the nation.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

But as I understand it this isn’t an antibody test - which shows whether you have ever carried the virus. The test shows positive when the virus is active, then goes negative once you are considered ‘cured’. Yet you still have the antibodies.
    Yep, however these were samples from the flu centres. Almost everybody with symptoms will have gone there for testing.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Good Lord

If the toilet paper shortage continues, there might finally be a worthwhile use for their product.
    A multi-week shutdown must stand a good chance of killing hard-copy daily journalism for good.
  • Options
    Foss said:

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Good Lord

A multi-week shutdown must stand a good chance of killing hard-copy daily journalism for good.
    My elderly parents who I have put in lockdown are now 100% digital because of this.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    An interesting thread for those saying the government isn't handling the Covid-19 crisis well:

https://twitter.com/vaughanbell/status/1237743124107100163
  • Options
    Jenny, please can you get me out of a tight spot and tell everyone what a great chap I am?
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe maybe not. Assuming 5 days to double, and saying the day where 10 people were infected as day 0, by day 60 you have... 33,750 cases.
    But it was nearly 3 months before the lockdown. People had this at least back in November.

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Then at day 0 being the day the first person caught it, 5.5 days to double (still below what a decent amount of epidemiologists are saying), 90 days in you have... 70,000 people infected.

The evidence and the maths simply doesn't support the idea of an iceberg effect.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

So even from that comment we can conclude that they are helpful then?

Given people are often asymptomatic for the disease early doors and yet people can still spread when asymptomatic then wearing a mask would then be helpful if everyone did it. But we haven't got enough so they aren't recommending it. Fair enough.

In terms of the effectiveness for protecting the wearer, I've studied the review in the BMJ and noted that there is evidence of effectiveness in a community setting. What do you make of the review in the BMJ?
  • Options

I don't like this continued "its very mild for lots of people" message. I know it is to calm, but even among the 80-90% that don't need to go near a hospital, many people have reported it as imagine the absolute worst flu you have ever had and some even with small amount of pneumonia.

How many is many people? If it's a handful, perhaps they should be going to the hospital?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    RobD said:

How many is many people? If it's a handful, perhaps they should be going to the hospital?
    Discworld Trolls teach us that 'many' means 4. As in 1 2 3 many, many 1...
  • Options

RobD said:

Given people are often asymptomatic for the disease early doors and yet people can still spread when asymptomatic then wearing a mask would then be helpful if everyone did it. But we haven't got enough so they aren't recommending it. Fair enough.

In terms of the effectiveness for protecting the wearer, I've studied the review in the BMJ and noted that there is evidence of effectiveness in a community setting. What do you make of the review in the BMJ?
    Helpful if you have it. Not helpful, and maybe even an additional risk, if you don't.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Two purposes: they will prevent you picking up the virus on your physical hands, which is helpful (tho of course you mus ttake the gloves on and off properly).

More important is the psychological effect (and this applies to masks, as well). If you are wearing gloves you are constantly aware that hands are an issue. And when you get back you want to take the gloves off, and you are smartly reminded that you then have to wash your hands again.

If you are still touching your face, then it doesn't matter what you are wearing on your hands. Same applies if you are not touching your face. Probably why it isn't recommended, because the most important thing is just to stop touching your face!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

So here's some news from senior folk at the NHS (in Wales).

They must know this is going to leak very soon, so I don't think I am breaking some injunction.

All ICU staff and many NHS staff have been told to go home and order 3 weeks worth of food. The government is going to impose a lockdown in 7-10 days.

If this rumour is correct (and the source is reliable) it's coming quickly now.

7pm tonight.

This is really dumb to announce a lockdown in x days. You do it at 2-3am then and there.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Helpful if you have it. Not helpful, and maybe even an additional risk, if you don't.
    So given that spreaders and super-spreaders typically don't know they have it until it's too late.. do you not think if everyone wore the mask as part of their routine then that might reduce spread by a few percentage points?

Why are we so much cleverer than the Chinese, the Koreans, the Taiwanese etc etc. who are used to dealing with pandemics?
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Two purposes: they will prevent you picking up the virus on your physical hands, which is helpful (tho of course you mus ttake the gloves on and off properly).

More important is the psychological effect (and this applies to masks, as well). If you are wearing gloves you are constantly aware that hands are an issue. And when you get back you want to take the gloves off, and you are smartly reminded that you then have to wash your hands again.

If you are still touching your face, then it doesn't matter what you are wearing on your hands. Same applies if you are not touching your face. Probably why it isn't recommended, because the most important thing is just to stop touching your face!
    READ WHAT I WROTE

If you are wearing bright orange gloves you keep looking at them and thinking, er, what, and then you remember: Eeeek, Virus. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

I don't know about others, but I find not touching my face quite hard. We do it all the time. These gloves remind me.

Fuck it, others may differ. We all have to survive the way that is best for us.
    Alternatively, you could wear one of those giant cones that we put on pets. That'd stop us from touching our face.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,316

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure I understand the Guangdong numbers - 0.47 percent of 320,000 is 1504 positive tests. Yet there seem to have been only 8 deaths in Guangdong so maybe they didn't find an iceberg effect in Guangdong, but they also didn't find anything like 3.4% mortality rate in Guangdong. It would surely have been surprising to find an iceberg effect in a place where the mortality rate amongst confirmed cases is 0.5%?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to look for an iceberg effect in places where the mortality rate is very high?
    Like Hubei, or Italy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Can we lock Biden in a cupboard until November to keep him away from virus?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Chameleon said:

First 3 deaths in Belgium. I trust that Andy will soon be reassuring us that Belgium isn't actually in North-West Europe.

Unless it decimates the Icelandic population, he'll keep clinging to the theory.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

So given that spreaders and super-spreaders typically don't know they have it until it's too late.. do you not think if everyone wore the mask as part of their routine then that might reduce spread by a few percentage points?

Why are we so much cleverer than the Chinese, the Koreans, the Taiwanese etc etc. who are used to dealing with pandemics?
    Because the extra risk of getting infected because we don't know how to use the things (as explained in the video) is far greater than any beneficial effect?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:
    What's it matter? They have air-conditioning going full blast. It tells you absolutely nothing about the effect of winter ending in temperate climates.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pro tip; we're not.
  • Options

eadric said:

They must know this is going to leak very soon, so I don't think I am breaking some injunction.

All ICU staff and many NHS staff have been told to go home and order 3 weeks worth of food. The government is going to impose a lockdown in 7-10 days.

7pm tonight.

This is really dumb to announce a lockdown in x days. You do it at 2-3am then and there.
    No way, they'll need to go through a middle phase first. Tonight we may be told stock up and prepare just in case you need to self isolate. Then when most people have the food, that's when it happens.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

7pm tonight.

No way, they'll need to go through a middle phase first. Tonight we may be told stock up and prepare just in case you need to self isolate. Then when most people have the food, that's when it happens.
    I think you are right.

I said the other day, this all feels like nudge theory in action. Boris sort of let it slip that he had been speaking to psychologists in an answer to a question on Monday.

If you are going to call a lockdown though, it has to be immediate, otherwise you watch 10,000s of people stream out of London.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

That's an Elizabeth Warren policy.......
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Because the extra risk of getting infected because we don't know how to use the things (as explained in the video) is far greater than any beneficial effect?
    What extra risk? That's just ludicrous.

If you were around in the 1940s you'd be telling everyone the official government information that carrots improved your eyesight. It's true because the government tells you so!

In times of war, government tells BIG LIES for the greater good. The calculation here is that we'd have a BOG ROLL situation with face-masks because we don't have enough. Fine but don't try and kid me they don't work.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep, however these were samples from the flu centres. Almost everybody with symptoms will have gone there for testing.
    Unless they do a large scale random serology study in the community, it's more or less guesswork.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

If you were around in the 1940s you'd be telling everyone the official government information that carrots improved your eyesight. It's true because the government tells you so!

In times of war, government tells BIG LIES for the greater good. The calculation here is that we'd have a BOG ROLL situation with face-masks because we don't have enough. Fine but don't try and kid me they don't work.
    Ah, so it's all a conspiracy?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

FPT

TGOHF666 said:
    Wow, big news!

I don't think it is now but the Chancellor did give a boost to HMRC in pursuit of "aggressive" tax avoidance. Hopefully they will not spend it all on IR35 cases.
    The Government have killed contracting across large swathes of business.

Their own estimates when they prepared the changes were that about 66% of existing contractors were legitimately outside IR35 and 34% inside. The aim was (quite rightly) to catch the 34%.

The end user companies who are now responsible have taken one look at the penalties they would be liable to pay if they incorrectly assess someone as being outside when they should be in and have thought 'bugger that'.

As a result the companies have now said that only 14% of contractors are legitimately outside IR35 and have pulled 86% of them inside. This has often involved going against the advice of the specialist accountancy and legal firms like Qdos who are there to assess all the contractors.

Worse still they have said that those contractors who are inside IR35 will be deducted not only the employees PAYE and NI but also the employers as well.

It is a real cluster and will cost HMRC a very large amount of revenue.

Edit, worth pointing out that I have been assessed as being outside so I am one of the lucky few.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

So you think all those medical experts (not politicians) are lying? Interesting. I hadn't taken you for a conspiracy nut.
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Well, quite. if they don't work, then why is the government so desperate to stop us buying them so they can reserve them for, uh, health workers?

Why are all those silly nurses and doctors in Italy and China wearing them?
    The ones treating people aren't wearing masks, they are wearing full protective hazmat type suits.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

So you think all those medical experts (not politicians) are lying? Interesting. I hadn't taken you for a conspiracy nut.
    Even the WHO don't recommend them, so this conspiracy must go all the way to the top.
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Well, quite. if they don't work, then why is the government so desperate to stop us buying them so they can reserve them for, uh, health workers?

Why are all those silly nurses and doctors in Italy and China wearing them?
    Because working in close proximity all day to infected people is different than passing quickly by a random person in the street?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    dr_spyn said:
    If the election is held in May, yes, probably.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

7pm tonight.

Surely Johnson would front a national lockdown instruction not Hancock?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You might consider it a conspiracy. You might consider it selective information for the greater good. Just as the government might be slowly drip-feeding information into the public consciousness so we don't have carnage down the local supermarkets over night. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.
  • Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

READ WHAT I WROTE

If you are wearing bright orange gloves you keep looking at them and thinking, er, what, and then you remember: Eeeek, Virus. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

I don't know about others, but I find not touching my face quite hard. We do it all the time. These gloves remind me.

Fuck it, others may differ. We all have to survive the way that is best for us.
    Alternatively, you could wear one of those giant cones that we put on pets. That'd stop us from touching our face.
    They would actually be quite helpful. I thought that today.
    Awkward when you want to savour the Châteauneuf-du-Pape, though.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You might consider it a conspiracy. You might consider it selective information for the greater good. Just as the government might be slowly drip-feeding information into the public consciousness so we don't have carnage down the local supermarkets over night. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.
    I don't think face masks have ever been recommended to protect people from catching the flu, even when there was no risk to global supply.
This discussion has been closed.