Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Currently infected 10590 (+1531) including 1,028 in intensive care (+151)
    Deaths: 827(+196)
    Healed 1045 (+41)

In resolved cases a death rate of 44%. Even of all found cases the rate is over 7%. This is markedly different from China.
    But what percentage of the cases do you think they are finding?
    That is the uncertainty. Chinese figures outside Wuhan seem almost too good to be true. Italy's infection rate is already nearly 4x that of China's and climbing fast. Were the Chinese steps really that effective?
    Almost certainly the denominator in Italy is too small, but the non-exponential increase in positive tests over the past few days is at least a little hopeful perhaps
    I really hope so too. Welcome to the site.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    eadric said:

Look at Grant Shapps' face.

He's thinking: don't give me bloody corona, you bastard
    Can you catch it at the same time as having a cold? Or could he have a cold, test negative, and then catch it? I think he should be isolating anyway...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,046
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I see Guido’s not impressed with the budget.

Can't blame him - everything he thought he loved about Boris has evaporated before his eyes.
    Yes, those who thought they had elected a Conservative promising "Thatcherism on steroids" now discover they have elected a big spending social democrat.

It's no surprise the Conservatives are polling 50% - everyone loves big public spending especially if there are no tax rises. Blair did something similar and he was very popular for a while.

The Conservatives have their own Tony Blair - I wonder if in 20 years time Johnson's reputation will be the same as Blair's is now.
    Bozza must be the most leftwing Tory PM of all time.
    The word you're looking for is "populist".
    It is quite an extraordinary government. There has never been anything like it before in the UK. Both intensely ideological and, as you say, populist.
    We shall see, but it for all Boris was mocked for essentially seem to run as if his was a brand new government, it has seemed about as close to that as you can get 10 years into power. As refreshes of direction go its pretty dramatic. What's weird is those who have been in it the whole time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

In resolved cases a death rate of 44%. Even of all found cases the rate is over 7%. This is markedly different from China.
    That is the uncertainty. Chinese figures outside Wuhan seem almost too good to be true. Italy's infection rate is already nearly 4x that of China's and climbing fast. Were the Chinese steps really that effective?
    IF everyone stays home, and the indications are that compliance was pretty well total, how does the infection spread ?
    So yes, it’s possible.

Given that they seem to be attempting a return to work of sorts, we’ll find out fairly soon if it’s also true.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    kle4 said:

For some reason I find it weird that the BBC homepage headline is 'Sunak pumps billions into economy...' rather than 'Government pumps billions...' etc etc. I mean, he is chancellor and he's announced it, but its not not it was his decision alone.

Or it could say 'Pension funds with no choice but to pile money into gilts at nil interest pump billions of hard working people's funds into giant Ponzi scheme'.

• Options
    Test1Test1 Posts: 4
    DavidL said:

Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Almost certainly the denominator in Italy is too small, but the non-exponential increase in positive tests over the past few days is at least a little hopeful perhaps

Thank you!! I'm a very long-time lurker (15 years or so), but this crisis has induced me to finally comment. As a statistician the numbers are fascinating, if alarming, but the more recent Italian data does suggest some hope I think, albeit the number of data points is very small still.
  • Options

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

Can't blame him - everything he thought he loved about Boris has evaporated before his eyes.
    Yes, those who thought they had elected a Conservative promising "Thatcherism on steroids" now discover they have elected a big spending social democrat.

It's no surprise the Conservatives are polling 50% - everyone loves big public spending especially if there are no tax rises. Blair did something similar and he was very popular for a while.

The Conservatives have their own Tony Blair - I wonder if in 20 years time Johnson's reputation will be the same as Blair's is now.
    Sky explained the dismissive word 'populist' as a government listening to the electorate and reflecting their wishes in their policies
    I would like to eat cream cakes and drink red wine to my heart's desire, while simultaneously losing weight. A government that told the public that was possible would be hugely popular. It wouldn't mean that its policies were good ones.
    But this government is like no other in recent times, and is addressing concerns across the divide and will be very voter friendly if it works
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    alex_ said:

eadric said:

Can you catch it at the same time as having a cold? Or could he have a cold, test negative, and then catch it? I think he should be isolating anyway...
    He could have it, and simply not yet have it show on the test, by now a trodden path
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Is it that hard to believe given the way Italians tend to interact? One thing in our favour is that we are a bunch of miserable bar stewards. Things like that will really help.
  • Options
    Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Thank you!! I'm a very long-time lurker (15 years or so), but this crisis has induced me to finally comment. As a statistician the numbers are fascinating, if alarming, but the more recent Italian data does suggest some hope I think, albeit the number of data points is very small still.

If you are going to stick around, do you really want to be Test1 ??
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

For some reason I find it weird that the BBC homepage headline is 'Sunak pumps billions into economy...' rather than 'Government pumps billions...' etc etc. I mean, he is chancellor and he's announced it, but its not not it was his decision alone.

Or it could say 'Pension funds with no choice but to pile money into gilts at nil interest pump billions of hard working people's funds into giant Ponzi scheme'.

I don't follow your point. My issue was on a neutral issue of phrasing which struck me as odd, not whether it could be transformed into overt political commentary. Obviously it could (my goto example is when a headline had been 'Osbourne wields spending cuts ax' which was then toned down) do that.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,700
    FF43 said:

It is quite an extraordinary government. There has never been anything like it before in the UK. Both intensely ideological and, as you say, populist.
    There comes a time when the ideological and the populist clash. The only person who can juggle with all the balls at once is a thoroughgoing charlatan.
    But probably it will all come to grief in the near future, and inevitably.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    OK, hands up all those suckers who thought that Boris Johnson was going to turn on his client base and reform pensions taxation to the detriment of higher earners?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Yep.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

What is life, or PB, but a series of tests?

Some of us are stuck with terrible usernames :)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1237791751999496192

Other viruses are also available for party goers to enjoy.
  • Options
    Test1Test1 Posts: 4
    IanB2 said:

Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Test1 said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Good point!! I think a change to JM1 would be in order :)
  • Options

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

Sky explained the dismissive word 'populist' as a government listening to the electorate and reflecting their wishes in their policies
    I would like to eat cream cakes and drink red wine to my heart's desire, while simultaneously losing weight. A government that told the public that was possible would be hugely popular. It wouldn't mean that its policies were good ones.
    But this government is like no other in recent times, and is addressing concerns across the divide and will be very voter friendly if it works
    This government is hosing money like a fireman hoses water at an inferno, running up a huge deficit when the national debt is already sky high and ducking every tough decision that needs to be made. That will be very voter friendly in the short term. But at some point it will need to be paid for.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

eadric said:

He could have it, and simply not yet have it show on the test, by now a trodden path
    I was canvassing with him on Friday and he was still coughing badly from a nasty cold. And he had tested negatively for the virus then. So I don't feel particularly anxious from being close in proximity though I am concerned more generally.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

OK, hands up all those suckers who thought that Boris Johnson was going to turn on his client base and reform pensions taxation to the detriment of higher earners?

Doubling the junior ISA limits and child trust funds more to his clients taste! Exactly what we need to pull the country together!
  • Options

Not in this budget because it had to be expansionary (and sort out those "poor" doctors that we need back).
  • Options
    Well, the Braemar is heading for the Bahamas now. A small batch of crew have got positive test results now, as well as the two passengers. Only those testing positive are being isolated, otherwise passengers are free to go about the ship as they please. I don’t see this ending well.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    IanB2 said:

Well, the Braemar is heading for the Bahamas now. A small batch of crew have got positive test results now, as well as the two passengers. Only those testing positive are being isolated, otherwise passengers are free to go about the ship as they please. I don’t see this ending well.

Surely cruises will/should be banned before flights?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Is it that hard to believe given the way Italians tend to interact? One thing in our favour is that we are a bunch of miserable bar stewards. Things like that will really help.
    I am trying to imagine a country largely composed of Yorkshiremen and Aberdonians. It's not attractive.
  • Options
    I really doubt the Chinese are going to go back to work just as they would have done in 2019. This is a new world.

They will go to work but do things radically differently. They know there is a bomb ready to explode if they allow it to spread again.

No doubt they are already developing new and innovative technologies to help them.

Anyone coughing or sneezing will also probably be dragged away by the men in white coats and face masks.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

They were effective enough to make the rate of new cases drop by 99%.

And I think things in Italy have changed too. The official numbers don't seem to be showing exponential growth. I think they're only detecting a small fraction of cases, but presumably they are detecting a certain fraction now.

Unfortunately this virus spreads relatively easily. But it doesn't spread by magic - indeed the WHO/China report shows that it doesn't spread all that often to people living in the same house or "close contacts."

If people change their behaviour the growth rate can be slowed or even put in reverse. But I think it needs more than advice to wash your hands more frequently and otherwise carry on normally!
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,700

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

You did say "If it works". What they are doing is inherently self-contradictory. So it cannot work. Except in the very short term. Of course.
  • Options
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Italians are VERY tactile. Lots of hugs and kisses. Between all ages and genders.

They find our need for personal space quite odd, and aloof.

I'd like to think this gives us a fighting chance, but then I look at Scandinavia, Holland etc, who are much more like us in their social behaviour. Some of their numbers are shockingly bad:

Sweden, Holland and Norway all have more cases than us, and Denmark is about the same as us, despite a population less than a tenth the size
    On the other hand, a less cold nation than Scandinavia, with a less tactile culture than the Mediterranean, might be reasonably well placed.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1237791751999496192

Other viruses are also available for party goers to enjoy.

If 80% of us are going to catch it anyway, I’d probably prefer to do it this way myself.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Which Ponzi scheme?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    In Rishi's speech he referred to "Madam Deputy Speaker" whereas Jeremy repeatedly referred to "Mr Speaker". It was Dame Eleanor Laing throughout!
  • Options
    ClippP said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

You did say "If it works". What they are doing is inherently self-contradictory. So it cannot work. Except in the very short term. Of course.
    But it can work long term and to be fair Boris has stepped into the labour vacuum much like the SNP in Scotland

• Options
    eadric said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The cruise companies will collapse anyway, resolving the need for any ban
    But before how many plague ships infest our ports? :o
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    ClippP said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I suppose it worked in the 30s...
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I think those familar with cruises will give them a wide 'berth' for a very long time.

But aircraft still worry me, especially long haul
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I think those familar with cruises will give them a wide 'berth' for a very long time.

Yeah, being in any enclosed space with even a single plague carrier doesn't sound like a good idea.
  • Options
    eadric said:

An extremely ominous and menacing black cloud has just boiled up, over central London. Looks positively apocalyptic.

Great.

Well it must be time for another horseman to drop by. And where better to start?
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Dave managed 52%.
  • Options

RobD said:
    Dave managed 52%.
    Just one more heave!!!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323
    RobD said:
    Wow. I'm actually starting to think that, despite being in government for yonks under previous leaders, Boris's Tories will enjoy the same political favour as New Labour in 1997. If so, then many more years in power will await Boris.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

I don't follow your point. My issue was on a neutral issue of phrasing which struck me as odd, not whether it could be transformed into overt political commentary. Obviously it could (my goto example is when a headline had been 'Osbourne wields spending cuts ax' which was then toned down) do that.
    Quite right

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

I thought that was a kite "leaked" by Cummings to discredit Javid.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,445

RobD said:
    Dave managed 52%.
    He only got a majority of 12...
  • Options
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

And I think things in Italy have changed too. The official numbers don't seem to be showing exponential growth. I think they're only detecting a small fraction of cases, but presumably they are detecting a certain fraction now.

Unfortunately this virus spreads relatively easily. But it doesn't spread by magic - indeed the WHO/China report shows that it doesn't spread all that often to people living in the same house or "close contacts."

If people change their behaviour the growth rate can be slowed or even put in reverse. But I think it needs more than advice to wash your hands more frequently and otherwise carry on normally!
    Hopefully that's coming at 7.00pm.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I really doubt the Chinese are going to go back to work just as they would have done in 2019. This is a new world.

They will go to work but do things radically differently. They know there is a bomb ready to explode if they allow it to spread again.

No doubt they are already developing new and innovative technologies to help them.

Anyone coughing or sneezing will also probably be dragged away by the men in white coats and face masks.

There was a guy in the supermarket today. He was coughing away, vaguely into his hand, then picking up fruit to examine, then putting it back. And so on.

I had a momentary urge to drive a knife into his brain.

How long before these urges become real, and people act on them?

Sneezing on someone will soon feel like an act of attempted homicide, and people will react accordingly. There are videos of terrible fights in China over just this issue.
    Haha. Genuinely had me guffawing.
  • Options
    Certain brands of bog roll sold out, some others plentiful at Sainsbury Aberdeen. Notes saying "certain sanitary products rationed to 5 per household" and "store pharmacy no longer has any face masks or sanitiser".

Heading back to London tomorrow...
  • Options

Certain brands of bog roll sold out, some others plentiful at Sainsbury Aberdeen. Notes saying "certain sanitary products rationed to 5 per household" and "store pharmacy no longer has any face masks or sanitiser".

Love the way we have normalised the use of the term bog roll on pb.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Hampshire and Hertfordshire are now the two leading growth points in the UK.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Why would that be, I wonder ?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020
    So, given the lack of pre-briefing, do we assume the Hancock statement will be a non-event? Change to the approach at the weekend to allow people to adapt/discuss away from work? Maybe try and get the schools to Easter?
  • Options

RobD said:
    Wow. I'm actually starting to think that, despite being in government for yonks under previous leaders, Boris's Tories will enjoy the same political favour as New Labour in 1997. If so, then many more years in power will await Boris.
    He's got to get through the actual implementation of Brexit first, and every indication is that the government is deliberately and perversely planning to make it as big a disaster as it possibly can, on multiple fronts simultaneously.
    Richard Brexit is exposed for what it always was. A trivial inconsequential factor that might put a slight pressure on the tiller of the ship of state in a stormy sea combating strong currents.

Only the complete ineptitude and arrogance of our political class allowed it to paralyse us for the best part of 3 years. Now, we have far more important things to worry about. We always did of course but too few people could see it.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

If I'm going to treat a dry cough at home I need to stock up on opiates. Gee's linctus, Collis Brown's and tincture of codeine should all be available over the counter. Boots needs to start stocking antitussives.
  • Options

Just a bog standard term.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:
    He's got to get through the actual implementation of Brexit first, and every indication is that the government is deliberately and perversely planning to make it as big a disaster as it possibly can, on multiple fronts simultaneously.
    Richard Brexit is exposed for what it always was. A trivial inconsequential factor that might put a slight pressure on the tiller of the ship of state in a stormy sea combating strong currents.

Only the complete ineptitude and arrogance of our political class allowed it to paralyse us for the best part of 3 years. Now, we have far more important things to worry about. We always did of course but too few people could see it.
    So why did Leavers persist, indeed continue to persist, in pursuing the most extreme, disruptive, alienating and damaging version of Brexit that they can conceive?
  • Options

Because PB is run by working class Northerners.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Chameleon said:

Speaking as a resident of Hertfordshire - God alone knows. But it's not pleasing news, needless to say.

So, given the lack of pre-briefing, do we assume the Hancock statement will be a non-event? Change to the approach at the weekend to allow people to adapt/discuss away from work? Maybe try and get the schools to Easter?

I'm still of the opinion that the Government will try not to shut the schools at all - but a work colleague posited that the authorities might try to keep them going until the Easter holidays to minimise disruption to working parents.
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

So why did Leavers persist, indeed continue to persist, in pursuing the most extreme, disruptive, alienating and damaging version of Brexit that they can conceive?
    Well some of them are idiots. And others got totally pissed off at those who thought they knew better. But most of us didn't. Which is why I (like you in fairness) supported May's deal. And I still think we will end up not a million miles from there in substance.
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Alastair an asteroid could be hitting the planet next week and you'd still be banging on about Brexit.

If this dreadful virus can do anything positive it might help bring together the nation and heal those particular wounds. There is more to life etc..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

Hopefully that's coming at 7.00pm.
    Had an interesting conversation at work. "The Government should be closing everything! Roads, schools etc"

Pointed him at the links to the pandemic plan on the gov.uk site, mentioned earlier - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pandemic-flu

A couple of hours later - "The Government should be closing everything! Roads, schools etc. because I don't see any reason not to in those documents"

So I sent him links to the specific bits - i.e. school closure possibly being a bad idea.

A little later...

"The Government should be closing everything! Roads, schools etc. because they need to prove that they are in charge and doing something"
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,323

Chameleon said:

Two major ports in Hampshire - Portsmouth and Southampton?
  • Options

A little later...

"The Government should be closing everything! Roads, schools etc. because they need to prove that they are in charge and doing something"

I suspect this is coming. Lets see what is announced at 7pm. Either way I have bought a goodly load of food so that we're prepped for various scenarios without having to fight people off for the last pack of Quinoa...
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The Braemar has told its passengers that they are heading for Bahamas, hoping to be allowed to dock on Saturday. Otherwise its passengers don’t know what’s going on (twitter hashtag #Braemar).

But anyone with a ship tracker can see its not heading that way right now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Italy update

Healed 1045 (+41)

I am trying to imagine a country largely composed of Yorkshiremen and Aberdonians. It's not attractive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k
  • Options
    matt said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Which Ponzi scheme?
    The one where money goes in from one lot of people and out to another lot until the organiser runs away/loses the election.

• Options

RobD said:
    Renewal in power is a tricky act to pull off. To be fair to Shagger and Sunak the residents of Downing Street have pulled off a genuinely good budget that steps a lot of things on.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Two major ports in Hampshire - Portsmouth and Southampton?
    Last I heard there was one case in Southampton - but it was a health worker at the central hospital. Which must raise concerns about contacts.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Well some of them are idiots. And others got totally pissed off at those who thought they knew better. But most of us didn't. Which is why I (like you in fairness) supported May's deal. And I still think we will end up not a million miles from there in substance.
    The government continues to pursue the most extreme version of Brexit that it can conceive. It is wilfully closing down compromises and continuing to grandstand against the EU in pursuit of easy applause. Why on earth would it start selling messy compromises now?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Chameleon said:

Speaking as a resident of Hertfordshire - God alone knows. But it's not pleasing news, needless to say.

I'm still of the opinion that the Government will try not to shut the schools at all - but a work colleague posited that the authorities might try to keep them going until the Easter holidays to minimise disruption to working parents.
    Well why shut the schools if children are not at severe risk if they do catch the virus? Many even seem to be asymptomatic. If the young people acquire immunity they represent an element of resistance to the spread of the disease and slow it down. The big threat of this epidemic is that it overwhelms the NHS because the old and less robust need treatment, not young people.
  • Options

Because PB is run by working class Northerners.
    Northern Softies more like :lol:
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Chameleon said:

Hurricanes hardly ever happen?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options

The government continues to pursue the most extreme version of Brexit that it can conceive. It is wilfully closing down compromises and continuing to grandstand against the EU in pursuit of easy applause. Why on earth would it start selling messy compromises now?

I've suspected for a while that it is grandstanding for a voter base who respectfully haven't a clue what the EU actually is and swallow any absurdity that their side throw at them. Not a word in the budget about throwing oceans of cash at HM Border Force and HM Customs and Exise to hurriedly recruit the army of red tape pushers and inspectors needed to do the checks that extreme Brexit requires to move stuff within the UK never mind onto the continent.

Its not physically possible to no deal and do what Gove threatens in the time given. No preparations are being made to implement any of it, indeed they have removed the M20 truck park and the truck fields plan. We are staying aligned to the EEA/CU, they will simply tell the tiny of brain that we have won back our sovereignty and the Mail and Sun will weave softly spoken lies about how amazing the new deal is to disguise that its the reality that its the old deal.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    dr_spyn said:
    Have all seven deaths been 70+?
  • Options
    Trump has gone out to evens with BF for next president.
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Alastair an asteroid could be hitting the planet next week and you'd still be banging on about Brexit.

If this dreadful virus can do anything positive it might help bring together the nation and heal those particular wounds. There is more to life etc..
    If we leave the European Space Agency, and with it the co-operative Asteroid Project with NASA, our country could be left naked to the skies...l
  • Options

A little later...

I suspect this is coming. Lets see what is announced at 7pm. Either way I have bought a goodly load of food so that we're prepped for various scenarios without having to fight people off for the last pack of Quinoa...
    The point I was trying to get across was that it is interesting how people defend their "common sense" ideas in the face of evidence.

Order food deliveries online - that way the shops stay full. Yes, it takes a couple of days at the moment, but it makes the most sense from the point of view of managing the supply chain.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The Braemar has told its passengers that they are heading for Bahamas, hoping to be allowed to dock on Saturday. Otherwise its passengers don’t know what’s going on (twitter hashtag #Braemar).

But anyone with a ship tracker can see its not heading that way right now.
    We will need the liners as hospital ships so it’s not all bad
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    I'd like to see some comparison of the death rate, rather than positive cases, growth in Italy a few weeks back and ours now. We seem to be on a slower trajectory, if I'm not very much mistaken.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Wow I knew that we've left the EU, didn't realise that we'd left NW Europe as well this evening.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    geoffw said:

Chameleon said:

Well why shut the schools if children are not at severe risk if they do catch the virus? Many even seem to be asymptomatic. If the young people acquire immunity they represent an element of resistance to the spread of the disease and slow it down. The big threat of this epidemic is that it overwhelms the NHS because the old and less robust need treatment, not young people.
    Some professor guy was on radio this morning taking calls from the public. He was asked whether if you caught Covid-19 you could catch it again. He said that catching the virus would likely give you immunity (assuming it hadn`t mutated), but this would wear off gradually over a few years.

Does this chime with others` understanding. Foxy?
  • Options
    Oh bum - that`s only twenty minutes from me.
  • Options
    Not good, that one case in the Washington State care home is now killing off its residents one by one
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Theres a name from the past. Got paid £10.8m to leave News International after the phone hacking scandal. Now same role in its direct successor NewsUK. All right for some.
    The Zero Accountability Nation. At some point even mild-mannered liberals like me are going to be calling for the People's Justice Firing Squads.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    For anyone who has an interest in the US elections but is unsure of where all the states are. If you end up self isolating for a couple of weeks then try this. But I warn you it is kind of addictive.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/mhershfield/us-states-no-outlines-minefield
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    To add to theory about conferences, I have just seen a guy from Singapore has tested positive after attending 2 big cryptocurrency events in London and Paris.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andrew said:

Actually, the stats from Italy is +2076
    but around 600 were from yesterday's delay in tests from Lombardy

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense. That implies a slight slowdown, after 8 days around +24/25%, the last two would be 17% and 16%.
    A fragile glimmer of hope. Grazie.
    The last two days of figures have been very promising. Reports from my in-laws In Veneto also reflect what we are seeing in the stats. Although some of the videos I'm getting sent from Naples of people ignoring the curfew give me cause for worry.

That aside, very promising, and seems to match the slow down of the disease seen in Asia with similar measures implemented.

There is now a clear blue print for governments and citizens to follow in order to defeat this thing.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

For anyone who has an interest in the US elections but is unsure of where all the states are. If you end up self isolating for a couple of weeks then try this. But I warn you it is kind of addictive.

Getting Rhode Island first up felt slightly harsh... I mean I must have been about a pixel off.
  • Options

A little later...

The point I was trying to get across was that it is interesting how people defend their "common sense" ideas in the face of evidence.

Order food deliveries online - that way the shops stay full. Yes, it takes a couple of days at the moment, but it makes the most sense from the point of view of managing the supply chain.
    Indeed - people have been told repeatedly by this government that we have had enough of experts with their inconvenient facts. Why should people now listen to experts telling them facts when they can just do a Brexit and believe more?

As for food deliveries, I believe the government's "we're consulting the supermarkets" lie assumed that supermarkets could just home deliver. Yes. To the c. 7% of the population they deliver to. Want to scale it up? They don't have the drivers / trucks / stock / pick space etc etc. So its impossible, but again, down with facts...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    geoffw said:

Chameleon said:

I don't pretend to any special insight into this subject, but you do wonder if it mightn't be a good idea to allow the disease to proliferate amongst the young in exactly the fashion you describe.

Locking down everybody is an emergency response that's clearly unsustainable. Maybe better to try to isolate the elderly and vulnerable to slow down the proliferation of acute cases whilst building up herd immunity, and to give the healthcare system a fighting chance of coping in the process?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,413
    Hancock takes his seat for tonight's 7pm announcement.
  • Options
    500 cases, 15 new deaths in France.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    Lennon said:

Getting Rhode Island first up felt slightly harsh... I mean I must have been about a pixel off.
    You get used to nailing it after the first few hundred goes.

The real killers are the states between the Appalachians and the Mississippi.
This discussion has been closed.