Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    RobD said:

You'd have thought cabinet ministers would be able to get test results in hours, not days.

As I said yesterday, the CDC and others are saying the test itself takes 24 hours to complete once in the lab.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Atletico.......
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,424

Thread has been triaged

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

matt said:

RobD said:

matt said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yeah right Polly you clearly know mch more than the CMO and the CSO - if only you hadn't been held back and forced to be a twitter troll because you're a woman.
    Who is Polly Curtis and why is her opinion relevant or valuable?
    blue tick.
    ? She has one? Is that important?
    She went Camden High School for Girls. She has a degree in politics from Leeds, and an MA in Journalism from Goldsmiths.

She writes for the Guardian. She worked for HuffPo. She leads the Tortoise Network, "a new form of inclusive membership for news"

And finally, she is world expert on epidemiology, like everyone else on Twitter.
    How did she get a job at the Guardian with that CV? No private school, no Oxbridge, I thought that instantly meant your CV went in the bin.
    She went to Leeds. The greatest university in the land. :smiley:
    When I went there for interview they charged me 50p for lunch. In contrast Newcastle gave me dinner bed and breakfast for free.

I chose neither!
  • Options
    egg said:

stodge said:

tlg86 said:

I see Guido’s not impressed with the budget.

Can't blame him - everything he thought he loved about Boris has evaporated before his eyes.
    Yes, those who thought they had elected a Conservative promising "Thatcherism on steroids" now discover they have elected a big spending social democrat.

It's no surprise the Conservatives are polling 50% - everyone loves big public spending especially if there are no tax rises. Blair did something similar and he was very popular for a while.

The Conservatives have their own Tony Blair - I wonder if in 20 years time Johnson's reputation will be the same as Blair's is now.
    Bozza must be the most leftwing Tory PM of all time.
    The word you're looking for is "populist".
    Sky explained the dismissive word 'populist' as a government listening to the electorate and reflecting their wishes in their policies
    I’ll explain the word populist. Populism pushes the idea of popular sovereignty above the independence of democratic institutions, and the professionalism of the representatives of those institutions. populism doesn’t respect government, civil service to politicians. This is Trump. This is Boris. And Mussolini and Hitler. populist opportunism masquerading as values and agenda for government, a Moralist ideology believing it is the voice of all the people, deaf to anyone with a different view. They have hi jacked conservatism, and they are trashing it.

Actually I have no problem with challenging the elite
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    Now this is what you do (albeit a day late); instead we seem to have a plan based on not doing something until the population tells us it’s okay to do it. Leadership means annoying voters when needed.
    We have a plan based on following the advice of the epidemiologists. I may not necessarily like that plan and may decide to take extra precautions myself but, just like you, I am not an expert on this. I assume the CMO is, or at least has a team of experts around him.

The government had a plan to deal with Hitler in the late 30s. The plan was basically: ignore him and hope he'd go away. Meanwhile Churchill demanded rearmament, from the sidelines. Churchill was right
    You may want to check when the U.K. government started its rearmament programme
  • Options
    eadric said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:
    Now this is what you do (albeit a day late); instead we seem to have a plan based on not doing something until the population tells us it’s okay to do it. Leadership means annoying voters when needed.
    We have a plan based on following the advice of the epidemiologists. I may not necessarily like that plan and may decide to take extra precautions myself but, just like you, I am not an expert on this. I assume the CMO is, or at least has a team of experts around him.

The government had a plan to deal with Hitler in the late 30s. The plan was basically: ignore him and hope he'd go away. Meanwhile Churchill demanded rearmament, from the sidelines. Churchill was right
    A complete bullshit answer from you. Opinions about whether a politician in the 1930s might go and start a war is not the same as epidemiologists advising the best way to deal with a virus. Now as I said I happen to agree that it is better to err on the side of caution and am doing so. But neither you or I are anything like approaching experts on even the most basic levels of this. So again if the Government is following the advice of the CMO and his team then that is what I would expect them to do.

And as an aside the whole problem in the 1930s was that lots of experts were saying Hitler was a danger but the Government ignored them. It wasn't just Churchill howling at the moon.
  • Options
    eadric said:

matt said:

eadric said:

ukpaul said:

Quincel said:

Don’t talk ignorant shit. Britain rearmed like crazy from the mid30s onwards.
    1936, I believe. But Churchill was warning from the start.

https://scottmanning.com/content/churchills-earliest-warning-about-hitler/

He was a superforecaster, like me. I am Churchill. You, by contrast, are a pig's arsehole.
    Don't be a fuckwit all your life eadric. Have a night off.
This discussion has been closed.