Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s handling of the spread of coronavirus is costing him d

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s handling of the spread of coronavirus is costing him dear and making the situation in the US far worse

New Quinnipiac poll:By 56-40, Biden is seen as better than Trump in a crisis.Among independents, that's 59-33 (!)Among women, that's 63-32 (!!!)The poll is simply awful for Trump. Turns out he doesn't have magical chaos-spreading powers, after all:https://t.co/gM5vA5UTJq

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Will be interesting if this sinks him. Mind you, watching the prayer circle when VP Pence took "command" the hicks will be praying that Trump brings them salvation as they start to die
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Second, again
  • Options
    The US response to this crisis will be seen as one of the most catastrophic failures of public policy of all time.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Do you not think that if the government is planning for massive social changes, large scale lock downs, only certain individuals to work etc, that they will perhaps want to keep the number of people who know about it to a bare minimum and let things come out when they are ready?

I highly doubt they are going to ring up the Grocer and say hey you know we had all the supermarkets in yesterday and they have all agreed come April, they will work together and the nation will live on rations.

Even the report of the supermarkets know nothing about any meetings...well the press clearly ring up their contact in the PR department of Asda, Tescos etc and say are you meeting with the government....to the answer will be no. But do we really know where the MDs were in meetings and they were asked no to say anything about it?

I really see this now as we are on a war footing (I don't think the press have grasped it yet). It isn't normal operation of government leaking to their friendly journos, flying kites etc. Noticed how nobody knows anything about the budget.

I took from the PM press conference today is we are being primed for Wednesday, then primed for another step say Friday.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The US response to this crisis will be seen as one of the most catastrophic failures of public policy of all time.

Certainly going to speed up China becoming the world super power.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    We saw how quickly it spread through the Iranian (and now French) political class.

HM in her isolation suite, I hope.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    IanB2 said:

Totally agree. Trump's finger prints are all over this disaster. Dumping Pence in there at the last minute will do nothing.

He'll be known as Trump the Terrible or something similar. Nursery rhymes will be passed on about him from generation to generation.

This disaster will also be the key moment in the global power shift unfortunately.
  • Options
    I am shocked I tell you...shocked it wasn't the dog that got paid...

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1237071903866499072?s=20
  • Options

I took from the PM press conference today is we are being primed for Wednesday, then primed for another step say Friday.

Good. Lots needs to be done. Park my points and look at the NHS. Park the large scale lack of beds and capacity. Look at the support staff responsible for keeping facilities clean and disease free. As has been pointed out these staff are largely on contracts that do not pay sick pay. Which means they will be in work spreading illness if the government isn't going to step on and pay them to self-quarantine.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited March 2020

Do you not think that if the government is planning for massive social changes, large scale lock downs, only certain individuals to work etc, that they will perhaps want to keep the number of people who know about it to a bare minimum and let things come out when they are ready?

I highly doubt they are going to ring up the Grocer and say hey you know we had all the supermarkets in yesterday and they have all agreed come April, they will work together and the nation will live on rations.

Even the report of the supermarkets know nothing about any meetings...well the press clearly ring up their contact in the PR department of Asda, Tescos etc and say are you meeting with the government....to the answer will be no. But do we really know where the MDs were in meetings and they were asked no to say anything about it?

I really see this now as we are on a war footing (I don't think the press have grasped it yet). It isn't normal operation of government leaking to their friendly journos, flying kites etc. Noticed how nobody knows anything about the budget.

I am no fan of this government but they have an unenviable challenge.

I am prepared to believe they are doing the right things at present. Whatever they do they will be criticised and inevitably some of the decisions they make now in good faith will turn out to be misguided.

I am comforted by the feeling that they seem to be listening to experts and we do actually have a talented civil service to make things happen.

Fingers-crossed that between them they get it largely right. Picking over the mistakes can wait for later.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Donald the corvid.
  • Options

How ironic it would be...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,944

IanB2 said:

Totally agree. Trump's finger prints are all over this disaster. Dumping Pence in there at the last minute will do nothing.

He'll be known as Trump the Terrible or something similar. Nursery rhymes will be passed on about him from generation to generation.

This disaster will also be the key moment in the global power shift unfortunately.
    The interesting question will be where that power shifts to. China looks severely wounded by this and will take time to recover. One worry for them will be if they are shown to have spread the virus into Africa which still seems to me to be an area that is horribly underreporting.

No political leadership looks to have come out of (or rather come into) this particularly well at this point.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    They’ve clearly not read the Civil Contingencies Act, and mistakingly think they may have a choice in the matter.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Donald the corvid.

It's nothing to crow about.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The interesting question will be where that power shifts to. China looks severely wounded by this and will take time to recover. One worry for them will be if they are shown to have spread the virus into Africa which still seems to me to be an area that is horribly underreporting.

No political leadership looks to have come out of (or rather come into) this particularly well at this point.
    I think the Chinese may have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I am prepared to believe they are doing the right things at present. Whatever they do they will be criticised and inevitably some of the decisions they make now in good faith will turn out to be misguided.

I am comforted by the feeling that they seem to be listening to experts and we do actually have a talented civil service to make things happen.

Fingers-crossed that between them they get it largely right. Picking over the mistakes can wait for later.
    I am now firmly of the opinion it will be horrific whatever they do and they will be making decisions that they hope will transform 500,000 deaths to the 100,000 they are talking about.

Just as in war, lots of mistakes will be made, we just hope that ultimately we come through it and our experts have made as few as mistake as possible.

I can only imagine sitting there with their mathematical models tweaking parameters and running sims trying to find the balance that gets them the optimal number of deaths.

I used to have models and run sims as a professional gambler and that was hugely stressful, but ultimately all that was at stake was my money, not human life.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Donald the corvid.

He's made a right tit of himself.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,985

IanB2 said:

The Japanese appear to have made by far the best fist of it of any global power, on the early evidence.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

I think you give too much credit to a government led by Boris "Come on, we're British, we won two world wars, etc." Johnson.

If there is any deliberate intent behind all this, I think it's 'a heads-we-win, tails-you-lose' scenario: if we contain it, they'll get praise for not over-reacting, if it blows up, it'll be largely older people who will suffer, and that solves the care situation...

What I would agree with is that we are on a war footing and rationing will come. Largely because of what the Germans call 'hamsterkaüfer' (hoarders)...
  • Options

Well said. A lot of opposition politicians and the media still haven’t worked this out yet.

Every front page tomorrow should be cleared for the government advice, exactly as it’s written, with no editorialising or “opinion” pieces around it.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    IanB2 said:

How many excess deaths will be attributed to Trump's response? Will he be the President that killed hundreds of thousands or millions due to laziness?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Monkeys said:
    This point gets bandied about a lot, but it's utterly meaningless when you need 50-100x as many beds. Doubling it would be a drop in the ocean, and a waste of resources to have had them and not needed them for the past years.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2020

I think you give too much credit to a government led by Boris "Come on, we're British, we won two world wars, etc." Johnson.

If there is any deliberate intent behind all this, I think it's 'a heads-we-win, tails-you-lose' scenario: if we contain it, they'll get praise for not over-reacting, if it blows up, it'll be largely older people who will suffer, and that solves the care situation...

What I would agree with is that we are on a war footing and rationing will come. Largely because of what the Germans call 'hamsterkaüfer' (hoarders)...
    Deleted
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

How many excess deaths will be attributed to Trump's response? Will he be the President that killed hundreds of thousands or millions due to laziness?
    Or ignorance, more accurately...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Speechless

"Greece's powerful Orthodox Church has rejected calls to stop communion that has been identified a risk for spreading the coronavirus, Instead, priests have been instructed nationwide to pray against the spread of the disease.

The Church of Greece's governing body said Monday that the spoonful of wine inserted into believers' mouths during communion "clearly cannot cause the spread of disease."

It called communion is an "act of love" that conquers fear in a statement."
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Couldn't be happening to a crappier President. POTWAS.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Wilful ignorance.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I am no fan of Boris and in normal circumstances he definitely sees every decision first and foremost through a lens of how it will work out for him personally.

But watch the press conference this afternoon, you can see the fear, you can see just how massive this is and also that he keeps his crap to a minimum and defers to the two experts.

He thought on his watch the worst that would happen were some big lorry park in Kent and arguing with the French about whose fishing boat has the right to a certain spot...now he knows perhaps 100,000s of people are going to die on his watch and all he can do it try and do is hold it together.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,295

dr_spyn said:

Donald the corvid.

You sound chough-ed.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:
    That's the same figure that Foxy has been posting. I think the army might be dusting down their tents as we speak.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Speechless

"Greece's powerful Orthodox Church has rejected calls to stop communion that has been identified a risk for spreading the coronavirus, Instead, priests have been instructed nationwide to pray against the spread of the disease.

The Church of Greece's governing body said Monday that the spoonful of wine inserted into believers' mouths during communion "clearly cannot cause the spread of disease."

Similar stuff coming out of the US unfortunately.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I largely agree but do not understand why people are still flying in from Italy without any form of checking (Assuming that what issuing reported is correct). On the whole Johnson rightly seems to be being guided by the health professionals unlike the moron across the Atlantic.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:

Donald the corvid.

You sound chough-ed.
    Donald Jay Trump.
  • Options
    Also worth noting that, although the outbreaks started on the west coast with Washington state first affected, then Oregon and California, New York has been slowly climbing the table and now has the most cases of any state. London may well be heading for our top spot also.
  • Options
    matt said:

Deleted
    Have you been into a supermarket in the last few days?

We grow 61% of our food (approx - NFU figures). If there is a large-scale lockdown, you will get disrupted supply chains, and people will start to hoard. Sorry. The bloke three doors down from me came home with his car boot full of toilet roll, water bottles and pasta...he's not alone.
  • Options
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

Interesting one - phone companies in India are playing an automated public health announcement at the start of all calls:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/08/telecom-operators-in-india-warn-people-of-coronavirus-outbreak-share-tips/

47 cases in India
    16 in Pakistan
    3 in Bangladesh
    1 in Nepal
    1 in Sri Lanka
    4 in Maldives
  • Options
    Monkeys said:
    There was a discussion of this on the last thread.

The more centralised systems will be better at co-ordination, but will suffer from a lack of resources. This is the UK.

The less centralised systems (Germany, Italy, USA) will find co-ordination much more difficult, with layers of bureaucracy between the ministry of health and the patient, but with potentially more ICU beds available.

UK can expect to see visible contingency measures (routine medical services postponed, military field hospitals turning up in car parks) earlier than the less centralised systems.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I largely agree but do not understand why people are still flying in from Italy without any form of checking (Assuming that what issuing reported is correct). On the whole Johnson rightly seems to be being guided by the health professionals unlike the moron across the Atlantic.
    The quarantine doesn’t apply to foreign residents
  • Options

I am now firmly of the opinion it will be horrific whatever they do and they will be making decisions that they hope will transform 500,000 deaths to the 100,000 they are talking about.

Just as in war, lots of mistakes will be made, we just hope that ultimately we come through it and our experts have made as few as mistake as possible.

I can only imagine sitting there with their mathematical models tweaking parameters and running sims trying to find the balance that gets them the optimal number of deaths.

I used to have models and run sims as a professional gambler and that was hugely stressful, but ultimately all that was at stake was my money, not human life.
    Agreed. There's a very fine balance to be struck:

Lock down too tightly, too early and the economic impact will be disasterous and potentially people won't stand for it, leading to civil unrest.

Leave it too late and the health service will be overrun, leading to high fatalities and the risk of economic and civil disrpution.

Not an easy one to judge.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    This point gets bandied about a lot, but it's utterly meaningless when you need 50-100x as many beds. Doubling it would be a drop in the ocean, and a waste of resources to have had them and not needed them for the past years.
    I guess it's a view that this is 'utterly meaningless'.
    A different view is that the existing capacities will in fact have to be multiplied, mostly not to the existing high standards, but as makeshift emergency solutions.
    And that this will be more easy the bigger the base that you can start from.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Monkeys said:
    Boris could always demand some from Germany as belated war reparations.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

COVID-19. Don’t die of ignorance.

Nah, not as catchy, is it...?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    There we have it, the British government cannot be wrong, by definition.

When they finally belatedly do the things that are already working in Japan and South Korea, those things will go from being a hysterical panic reaction to being sensible commonsense things to do, in a matter of seconds.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Speechless

"Islamic cleric Ilyas Sharafuddin said in an audio address that “Allah unleashed Coronavirus on Chinese for persecuting Uighur Muslims”. Ilyas said that "they the Chinese have threatened the Muslims and tried to destroy lives of 20 million Muslims. Muslims were forced to drink alcohol, their mosques were destroyed and their Holy Book was burned. They thought that no one can challenge them, but Allah the most powerful punished them." "
  • Options

I am no fan of Boris and in normal circumstances he definitely sees every decision first and foremost through a lens of how it will work out for him personally.

But watch the press conference this afternoon, you can see the fear, you can see just how massive this is and also that he keeps his crap to a minimum and defers to the two experts.

He thought on his watch the worst that would happen were some big lorry park in Kent and arguing with the French about whose fishing boat has the right to a certain spot...now he knows perhaps 100,000s of people are going to die on his watch and all he can do it try and do is hold it together.
    Yes - I thought there was less of the Pound Shop Churchill about him, and that's to his credit. As the saying goes "this shit just got real"...
  • Options

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    Adifferent view is that the existing capacities will in fact have to be multiplied, mostly not to the existing high standards, but as makeshift emergency solutions.
    Having 8,000 beds vs 4,000 will make no difference if hundreds of thousands need one.
  • Options
    Are we about to see an irony so great that it will cause the universe to collapse in on itself?

Sometime soon Mexico decides to shut the border with the United States to stop Americans fleeing to Mexico to avoid the coronavirus.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

When they finally belatedly do the things that are already working in Japan and South Korea, those things will go from being a hysterical panic reaction to being sensible commonsense things to do, in a matter of seconds.
    Not sure about never wrong. Certainly less wrong than a random bloke on twitter.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

With apologies to Paul Hardcastle:

C-c-c-c-covid 19
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    Adifferent view is that the existing capacities will in fact have to be multiplied, mostly not to the existing high standards, but as makeshift emergency solutions.
    Having 8,000 beds vs 4,000 will make no difference if hundreds of thousands need one.
    It will make a difference of thousands of lives.
  • Options

Floater said:

Speechless

"Islamic cleric Ilyas Sharafuddin said in an audio address that “Allah unleashed Coronavirus on Chinese for persecuting Uighur Muslims”. Ilyas said that "they the Chinese have threatened the Muslims and tried to destroy lives of 20 million Muslims. Muslims were forced to drink alcohol, their mosques were destroyed and their Holy Book was burned. They thought that no one can challenge them, but Allah the most powerful punished them." "
    Just reading Eric Hoffer's 'True Believer' (published 1957). Very sobering...
  • Options

Are we about to see an irony so great that it will cause the universe to collapse in on itself?

Sometime soon Mexico decides to shut the border with the United States to stop Americans fleeing to Mexico to avoid the coronavirus.

Build a wall and make America pay for it?
  • Options

matt said:

Deleted

We grow 61% of our food (approx - NFU figures). If there is a large-scale lockdown, you will get disrupted supply chains, and people will start to hoard. Sorry. The bloke three doors down from me came home with his car boot full of toilet roll, water bottles and pasta...he's not alone.
    Yes, I was in a CoOp this morning. It was fully stocked. Including lavatory rolls, kitchen rolls, wipes, pasta (crunchy for wiping I’m guessing) and Evian. That’s a fact though. I appreciate that fuckwits on Twitter are the approved information source du jour.
  • Options

FPT

Sandpit said:

Interesting one - phone companies in India are playing an automated public health announcement at the start of all calls:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/08/telecom-operators-in-india-warn-people-of-coronavirus-outbreak-share-tips/

47 cases in India
    16 in Pakistan
    3 in Bangladesh
    1 in Nepal
    1 in Sri Lanka
    4 in Maldives
    India is the next Iran. But with worse healthcare and 15 times the population. Discuss.
  • Options
    matt said:

matt said:

Deleted

Yes, I was in a CoOp this morning. It was fully stocked. Including lavatory rolls, kitchen rolls, wipes, pasta (crunchy for wiping I’m guessing) and Evian. That’s a fact though. I appreciate that fuckwits on Twitter are the approved information source du jour.
    That's very good to know.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    It will make a difference of thousands of lives.
    A rounding error if things go badly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    It will make a difference to 4,000 people. And the aggregate numbers will be a bit higher.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sandpit said:

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

If ignorance was fatal then Trump would be long gone.
  • Options
    Why are people buying bottled water? I can't see why the water supply might fail.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

matt said:

Deleted

Does he not know that water comes out of taps ?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

matt said:

matt said:

Deleted

Ditto Sainsbury’s Cardiff. Bit short on pasta and bog roll compared to normal ( and cat food and cat litter which I thought was really sweet, if hoarding can be, that folks are thinking about their four footed friends), but nothing was not available that I could see. You could buy pasta, bog roll, and pet stuff and everything else looked totally normal.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    Biden is favourite in all the states voting tomorrow with BFE.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.169805382
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited March 2020

Lock down too tightly, too early and the economic impact will be disasterous and potentially people won't stand for it, leading to civil unrest.

Leave it too late and the health service will be overrun, leading to high fatalities and the risk of economic and civil disrpution.

This is where the western take on what's happened in Asia has got all twisted. People are looking at the *Chinese* response, which was a complete lockdown in an authoritarian country, and thinking that they have to do that.

But that's not what Japan and South Korea are doing. "Please work from home if practical. Please consider cancelling public events. We're extending the school holidays." It's somewhat disruptive, but it's not a devastating shutdown of everything. And by doing it earlier, you reduce the risk that you will need to do a devastating shutdown of everything.

And it's almost entirely voluntary. People don't want to get sick, and they don't want other people to get sick. The government doesn't need to coerce. It needs to lead.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    RobD said:

Not sure about never wrong. Certainly less wrong than a random bloke on twitter.
    Or PB.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

With apologies to Paul Hardcastle:

C-c-c-c-covid 19
    LOL. Yes, someone has to remake this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=b3LdMAqUMnM
  • Options

matt said:

Deleted

Does he not know that water comes out of taps ?
    Quite. Apparently (and his son is friends with my son) he's a "conspiracy theorist". But quite frankly I can't see what faked moon landings and lizard people have to do with hoarding loo roll, but there you go.
  • Options

Yes - I thought there was less of the Pound Shop Churchill about him, and that's to his credit. As the saying goes "this shit just got real"...
    Actually, it's "Shit just got real":

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shit just got real
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Andy_JS said:

Biden is favourite in all the states voting tomorrow with BFE.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.169805382

Washington might be the closest, as it's postal votes
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    It will make a difference to 4,000 people. And the aggregate numbers will be a bit higher.
    As I said, a rounding error. If there was a routine need for many more critical care beds, I could see an argument for increasing them. To double the number just for spare capacity in case something like this doesn't seem sensible, especially given that the NHS only has a finite budget.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    It's essentially meaningless though. If it takes 4 weeks to recover (which is a generous assumption), that's about 10,000 people over the entire outbreak, potentially a rounding error.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

Or PB.
    Forgot about that caveat, sorry!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

47 cases in India
    16 in Pakistan
    3 in Bangladesh
    1 in Nepal
    1 in Sri Lanka
    4 in Maldives
    India is the next Iran. But with worse healthcare and 15 times the population. Discuss.
    Plus Indians are focussed on killing Muslims on the moment.

It's a toxic mix.

There's so much fake news in India at the moment, the cow botherers are spreading messages that say Muslims are responsible for the coronavirus because they kill/eat cows.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    edited March 2020
    Trump live on Sky

He is going to be responsible for thousands of lost lives

Be gone

Mike Pence just said the risk of serious disease remains low

Idiots the pair of them
  • Options

Bugger. I'm gonna rewatch 'Hot Fuzz'...

Reminds me of Charlie Higson who gets very angry when people quote his Fast Show character saying 'Suits You Sir". Apparently it's "Suit You Sir"...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    Why everyone arriving in the UK on flights from northern Italy wasn't put in quarantine is a mystery.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

47 cases in India
    16 in Pakistan
    3 in Bangladesh
    1 in Nepal
    1 in Sri Lanka
    4 in Maldives
    "On 3 March 2020, the Indian government suspended the issuing of new visas and visas already issued for nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea, and Japan.[38] On 4 March 2020, the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, announced compulsory screening of all international passengers arriving in India. He also said that so far, 589,000 people have been screened at airports, over one million screened at borders with Nepal and around 27,000 were currently under community surveillance.[39][40] The government shall also now start universal screening for all passengers flying into India from abroad. Earlier, only passengers coming in from China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Nepal, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Malaysia were checked."
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    As I said, a rounding error. If there was a routine need for many more critical care beds, I could see an argument for increasing them. To double the number just for spare capacity in case something like this doesn't seem sensible, especially given that the NHS only has a finite budget.
    That's the crucial point, of course.
    To have 4.5 times the capacity we have to pay roughly 3 times as much as you as % of GDP.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Andy_JS said:

Why everyone arriving in the UK on flights from northern Italy wasn't put in quarantine is a mystery.

Why are you surprised that UK immigration policy is a mystery ?
  • Options
    FCO

Returnees to UK from Italy have to self isolate for 14 days
  • Options

This is where the western take on what's happened in Asia has got all twisted. People are looking at the *Chinese* response, which was a complete lockdown in an authoritarian country, and thinking that they have to do that.

But that's not what Japan and South Korea are doing. "Please work from home if practical. Please consider cancelling public events. We're extending the school holidays." It's somewhat disruptive, but it's not a devastating shutdown of everything. And by doing it earlier, you reduce the risk that you will need to do a devastating shutdown of everything.
    There is an all or nothing mentality.

A true phased approach is appropriate. But we have got stuck at 'wash your hands'. That's a perfectly fine measure but it's necessary and not sufficient.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

matt said:

matt said:

Deleted

Ditto Sainsbury’s Cardiff. Bit short on pasta and bog roll compared to normal ( and cat food and cat litter which I thought was really sweet, if hoarding can be, that folks are thinking about their four footed friends), but nothing was not available that I could see. You could buy pasta, bog roll, and pet stuff and everything else looked totally normal.
    Waitrose here was out of toilet roll, split red lentils and porridge oats. What that tells you, I don't know!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

47 cases in India
    16 in Pakistan
    3 in Bangladesh
    1 in Nepal
    1 in Sri Lanka
    4 in Maldives
    "On 3 March 2020, the Indian government suspended the issuing of new visas and visas already issued for nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea, and Japan.[38] On 4 March 2020, the Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, announced compulsory screening of all international passengers arriving in India. He also said that so far, 589,000 people have been screened at airports, over one million screened at borders with Nepal and around 27,000 were currently under community surveillance.[39][40] The government shall also now start universal screening for all passengers flying into India from abroad. Earlier, only passengers coming in from China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Nepal, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Malaysia were checked."
    Perhaps they should focus on not encouraging genocide against Muslims. That should save a few more lives a lot more quickly.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    That's the crucial point, of course.
    To have 4.5 times the capacity we have to pay roughly 3 times as much as you as % of GDP.
    And in this current crisis the number of extra beds is insignificant compared to the number who will need it. I'm not sure that's worth paying 3x extra for (that seems awfully large, given the size of the NHS budget!)
  • Options

Bugger. I'm gonna rewatch 'Hot Fuzz'...

Reminds me of Charlie Higson who gets very angry when people quote his Fast Show character saying 'Suits You Sir". Apparently it's "Suit You Sir"...
    Hott Fuzz? They pinched it from Bad Boys!
  • Options

FCO

Is that a "should" or "must".
  • Options
    RobD said:

FCO

Is that a "should" or "must".
    Must
  • Options
    Trevor Phillips doesn’t understand Islamophobia - Sayeeda Warsi

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/09/trevor-phillips-islamophobia-muslims

Sayeeda Warsi does appear to have turned into "everybody is a Islamophobe"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Lansley on Newsnight talking about NHS capacity.

Give me a break. Lansley???
  • Options

welshowl said:

matt said:

matt said:

Deleted

Waitrose here was out of toilet roll, split red lentils and porridge oats. What that tells you, I don't know!
    Toilet roll, lentils and oats sounds like an "interesting" culinary combination...
  • Options

Lansley on Newsnight talking about NHS capacity.

Give me a break. Lansley???

Trust the BBC
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Monkeys said:
    It's essentially meaningless though. If it takes 4 weeks to recover (which is a generous assumption), that's about 10,000 people over the entire outbreak, potentially a rounding error.
    I'm struggling to follow your numbers. The "4,000" I quoted were taken from Rob's comment. The difference in ICU beds will in total numbers be much higher than 4,000, and, as I said, the existing facilities will only be a base from where to expand rapidly.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Why are people buying bottled water? I can't see why the water supply might fail.

My take would be with so many people off ill, imagine the water mains burst. Normally they will out later that day to sort, but short staffed they might not get there for several days.
  • Options
    matt said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

47 cases in India
    16 in Pakistan
    3 in Bangladesh
    1 in Nepal
    1 in Sri Lanka
    4 in Maldives
    Perhaps they should focus on not encouraging genocide against Muslims. That should save a few more lives a lot more quickly.
    Kerala state in southern India has a Muslim population of 25% (along with 20% Christians). No violence down there.
This discussion has been closed.