Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s handling of the spread of coronavirus is costing him d

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    Scott_xP said:
    Front line responders' training and PPE must surely be the absolute priority. Even more ICUs are not going to help much if they are not staffed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

As a general point, I can understand the government’s reluctance to rush into shutting everything down immediately.
    But their refusal to take even low cost measures right now is just stupid.

Such as? They are taking low cost and even high cost measures right now. They're just not hyperventilating panicking headless chickens.
    Such as advising everyone with a respiratory infection to self isolate....
    Ministers don't seem to have noticed the medical reports from Germany of the numerous confirmed Covid cases which originally presented as upper respiratory tract infections.

Such as advising ALL travellers from Italy to self-isolate for a fortnight...

These are not costly measures, or hyperventilating.

One might go on to note that when the Chief Medical Officer says that thousands of cases are almost inevitable, advancing plans for suspending large public events - and considering shutting schools next week until after Easter - would be sensible.
    Given the unscheduled closure of schools is counterproductive why would that be sensible? Having children contained within the school environment is better than having them as a diaspora looked after by grandparents etc putting the elderly at more risk.
    It really isn't if they end up infecting each other in the playground and then bring the virus home to their families. From what we know they may well do so even if they are asymptomatic themselves.
    Not to mention the rather more obvious case of universities...
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

As a general point, I can understand the government’s reluctance to rush into shutting everything down immediately.

Such as? They are taking low cost and even high cost measures right now. They're just not hyperventilating panicking headless chickens.
    Ministers don't seem to have noticed the medical reports from Germany of the numerous confirmed Covid cases which originally presented as upper respiratory tract infections.

One might go on to note that when the Chief Medical Officer says that thousands of cases are almost inevitable, advancing plans for suspending large public events - and considering shutting schools next week until after Easter - would be sensible.
    Given the unscheduled closure of schools is counterproductive why would that be sensible? Having children contained within the school environment is better than having them as a diaspora looked after by grandparents etc putting the elderly at more risk.
    At this stage very few, if any, are infected.
    That is precisely the point.

If you delay such measures until the escalating number of cases make it inevitable, then what you say applies many times over. A concerted effort to stop this thing in its tracks now - given that government itself seems to accept such escalation is inevitable - would be every bit as, almost certainly more effective.

And the Easter holiday starts shortly, so a two week break starting next week would become a four week break.
    There are some faulty baseline assumptions, namely that once transmission is frequent in Western Europe it must be an epidemic here. That's because they think the social lock down would be too great to forever keep it out.

I think that's wrong because as Italy shows, countries where this has spiked are locking down anyway. Therefore the social harm is already there. Travel disruption, business disruption is baked in. So we might as well get in early and reap some of the benefits because the costs are already there.

Complex decision models might mask some of these structural assumptions if they deviate markedly from what was initially expected; they can't see the wood for the trees.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

An Italian doctor’s advice...

(Thread advising stricter measures sooner than later, which goes more than a bit eadric... though from direct experience.)
    https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538

Yes, that is what it is very likely to be like here in a fortnight. North Italy has an excellent health care system, dont fall for lazy stereotypes. You either get ahead of the game, or you wait to act. The Italians look to be chasing the game, but I hope that the measures yesterday stop further spread within that country and beyond.
    So you were firmly of the belief that PHE were doing well last week. Sounds like doubts might be creeping in now? I've fluctuated but unfortunately back into the negative now. Too slow.
    I think it's tricky so I'm reluctant to criticise, but I don't like the very clear suggestion from the Chief Scientist yesterday that they're holding back some measures because people would get impatient if they lasted too long. There I think a strong political lead is needed - Boris could use some of his considerable capital on it and come out ahead. "We are acting now to prevent numerous avoidable additional deaths. It will mean a long period of inconvenience for many. Put up with it - you are protecting yourself and fellow-Britons from dying unnecessarily." I expect he'll do just that in a few days, but IMO he should get on with it.
    It seems to me that there’s some groundwork to lay first, and decisions to be made about what formal notifications are made to allow things like insurance pay-outs. I read yesterday’s announcement as “we think we can safely take two more days to cover all the bases”, with something big pencilled in for Wednesday. No sense announcing something you’re not ready to back up with actions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

Communion is a bad idea at the best of times - perhaps why Catholic Italy, Spain, Germany and France have spread so quickly ?

Anglicans have communion too, though they have issued guidance that those with coughs or sneezes should not drink from the main communion cup

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8003965/Church-England-issues-coronavirus-warning-congregations.html
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It is not as clear cut as you make out. Most school children are not at school for 24 hours a day, and if the grandparents live nearby, the children will meet their grandparents regularly anyway. The commuting aspect of day time at school and night time with the family spreads the virus more quickly than day and night with the family.

Your point is valid, but is not the only factor in the argument.
    Which doesn't even consider the parents and teachers...
  • Options

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Will be interesting if this sinks him. Mind you, watching the prayer circle when VP Pence took "command" the hicks will be praying that Trump brings them salvation as they start to die

Why do people keep on mocking this point?

It’s not uncommon for Christians to pray for wisdom before a meeting.

That doesn’t mean it’s the only thing they are doing
    No, although in this case it does appear to be the only thing Pence and Co are actually doing.
    Maybe but generally people get a free hit on Christians and expressions of Christianity.
    Yes. We should expand that to a free hit on all superstitions.

If someone wanted to start a meeting by checking a horoscope then I'd hope that'd get mocked too.
    If someone started their meeting with eyes being closed and a moment of mindfulness, would you mock that? That's essentially what prayer is.
    I think I would dismantle my pen and blast the stupid twat with a pellet of chewed paper.
    which would be fair enough. but specifically christian (or hindu/muslim/buddhist etc) prayers in an official government meeting are a lot worse. unless you want to live in a theocracy
    No they aren't, unless you're a bigot. I'm not a Muslim, but if I were attending a meeting of Muslims, I'd be more than happy to close my eyes with them, pray to my God or no God, and be happy and grateful for their well-wishes. In Syria, the Muslim president attends the Orthodox Church at Easter. That's what being tolerant is about.
    Indeed and over 80% of the global population is a member of a religion of some form
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Will be interesting if this sinks him. Mind you, watching the prayer circle when VP Pence took "command" the hicks will be praying that Trump brings them salvation as they start to die

US a media lost the plot a long time ago, and the UK media are going down the same path.

Most media types are too young to remember a proper pandemic, and they haven’t realised the need to act responsibly and convey the message - which is easier in the UK, as the scientists and politicians are saying exactly the same things.
    My personal annoyance is how they breathlessly seek out and report on (usually retired) “experts” criticising “the Government’s” approach. Implying that the Govt is just Boris and co sitting in a room making it up, fight to keep “the experts” out of the process.

It’s something that’s fine during eg. an election but completely inappropriate in current situation.
    They’ve spent the last five years being the opposition to the government, and are totally failing to understand that their role is now to support them wholeheartedly through a crisis.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

(Thread advising stricter measures sooner than later, which goes more than a bit eadric... though from direct experience.)

Yes, that is what it is very likely to be like here in a fortnight. North Italy has an excellent health care system, dont fall for lazy stereotypes. You either get ahead of the game, or you wait to act. The Italians look to be chasing the game, but I hope that the measures yesterday stop further spread within that country and beyond.
    So you were firmly of the belief that PHE were doing well last week. Sounds like doubts might be creeping in now? I've fluctuated but unfortunately back into the negative now. Too slow.
    I think it's tricky so I'm reluctant to criticise, but I don't like the very clear suggestion from the Chief Scientist yesterday that they're holding back some measures because people would get impatient if they lasted too long. There I think a strong political lead is needed - Boris could use some of his considerable capital on it and come out ahead. "We are acting now to prevent numerous avoidable additional deaths. It will mean a long period of inconvenience for many. Put up with it - you are protecting yourself and fellow-Britons from dying unnecessarily." I expect he'll do just that in a few days, but IMO he should get on with it.
    I get the sense that there are reasons to delay that have not been shared.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

If you delay such measures until the escalating number of cases make it inevitable, then what you say applies many times over. A concerted effort to stop this thing in its tracks now - given that government itself seems to accept such escalation is inevitable - would be every bit as, almost certainly more effective.

And the Easter holiday starts shortly, so a two week break starting next week would become a four week break.
    There are some faulty baseline assumptions, namely that once transmission is frequent in Western Europe it must be an epidemic here. That's because they think the social lock down would be too great to forever keep it out.

I think that's wrong because as Italy shows, countries where this has spiked are locking down anyway. Therefore the social harm is already there. Travel disruption, business disruption is baked in. So we might as well get in early and reap some of the benefits because the costs are already there.

Complex decision models might mask some of these structural assumptions if they deviate markedly from what was initially expected; they can't see the wood for the trees.
    Pretty well where I started from.
    I'm quite willing to give government the benefit of the doubt, but when their measures seem to contradict the advice and statistics they publicly acknowledge, comment is in order.

The handshake thing, though a minor matter, was symptomatic.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Nigelb said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It is not as clear cut as you make out. Most school children are not at school for 24 hours a day, and if the grandparents live nearby, the children will meet their grandparents regularly anyway. The commuting aspect of day time at school and night time with the family spreads the virus more quickly than day and night with the family.

Yes, but children who are not at school are simply not going to sit in a darkened room with Eadric washing their hands every 30 minutes with industrial strength cleaner.

If children & teenagers are not at school, then they will be doing something else, probably gathering together with friends and heading into town and going to cinemas, etc.

I don't think it is quite as clear as you suggest.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It really isn't if they end up infecting each other in the playground and then bring the virus home to their families. From what we know they may well do so even if they are asymptomatic themselves.
    They could also learn about Coronavirus, learn about handwashing, make hand sanitiser (seems like quite an easy school friendly make to me), maybe even make masks in DT. There's a lot of good, beneficial stuff kids could cover in school, before holidays come anyway.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It seems to me that there’s some groundwork to lay first, and decisions to be made about what formal notifications are made to allow things like insurance pay-outs. I read yesterday’s announcement as “we think we can safely take two more days to cover all the bases”, with something big pencilled in for Wednesday. No sense announcing something you’re not ready to back up with actions.
    I do think that Wednesday is going to be a big day in our response with the budget playing a minor but supportive role in the whole picture. If it gets their ducks in a row 2 days will probably make little difference.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375
    edited March 2020
    My sort of Header. If you were to sit down and design something to expose and eject Trump you would probably come up with a deep and complex public health crisis where good organization and the clear communication of facts and scientific data is crucial. Said crisis to be accompanied by a stock market crash and a recession hitting jobs and living standards. There will still (sadly) be many millions of fools and deplorables who will vote for him in November but there will surely not be enough of them.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr L,

I'm in my seventies, My brother is a year younger but has severe COPD. I spoke to him yesterday and he didn't seem worried. However he was amused by some of the panic-obsessed reactions.

I am 76, have diabetes and copd and therefore in the high risk category

My wife and I have decided to remain at home as much as possible and when we do go into town we wash our hands on returning and of course keep a distance from people

I am not especially worried but some of the panic obsessed reactions just annoy me and in particular some who preach a death cult
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

Communion is a bad idea at the best of times - perhaps why Catholic Italy, Spain, Germany and France have spread so quickly ?

Useful to have that 2000 year old matter sorted out so swiftly, elegantly and finally. A couple of billion people can breath a sigh of relief and move on.

Will you tell the A of C and the Pope or shall I?
  • Options

Must have slipped into a parallel universe, I agree with O'Flynn on something!
    And me
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914
    HYUFD said:
    North Dakota is irrelevant to the November result. Trump had a 35% majority in 2016.
  • Options
    Proportionality observation: Malaria kills 400,000 people, including many children, each year. Road deaths run at over 1 million each year. Are we losing perspective?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

Anglicans have communion too
    The Catholic Church here has already sent out guidance about the hygiene steps to be taken before and during Mass and other ways of limiting contact. If you are very ill or dying it looks as if your priest may not visit you at home but provide spiritual care over the phone. The last rites for the Last Rites.

If someone close to me were dying - and I hope to God I am not put in this position - I think I would take the risk and stay with them to the end. The thought of someone I love dying alone uncomforted is horrific.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Agreed.
    And I think open advanced notice that this might start next week would be productive rather than counterproductive (the panic reaction to the leak of the Italian lockdown notwithstanding).

The other point is that with a relatively small number of cases in the community, I would think that any restrictions need not be as severe as those which might have to be imposed later.

The Easter break coming up is a bonus.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,038
    edited March 2020
    algarkirk said:

Proportionality observation: Malaria kills 400,000 people, including many children, each year. Road deaths run at over 1 million each year. Are we losing perspective?

Yes, probably. For example:

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/03/cdc-flu-has-killed-136-children-so-far-this-season.html
  • Options
    Moldova bans all foreigners flying into the country from a coronavirus infected country

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-51811969
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    North Dakota is irrelevant to the November result. Trump had a 35% majority in 2016.
    Michigan isn't though

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1237216654242635777?s=20
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited March 2020

CD13 said:

Mr L,

I'm in my seventies, My brother is a year younger but has severe COPD. I spoke to him yesterday and he didn't seem worried. However he was amused by some of the panic-obsessed reactions.

My wife and I have decided to remain at home as much as possible and when we do go into town we wash our hands on returning and of course keep a distance from people

I am not especially worried but some of the panic obsessed reactions just annoy me and in particular some who preach a death cult
    It’s clearly serious, we should take it seriously and sombrely. Whilst some are in denial at the other extreme some people seem to get off on the crisis, there is a type of Coronavirus porn out there. It’s as bad as the denialists.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

In other news international flights continue in and out of Milan Malpensa and every other Italian airport, but do be careful not to shake hands with your best friend when you meet at the South pole.
    Some of these may be cargo-only flights, or flying empty thanks to EU rules on slot allocations (use it or lose it basis). There could also be foreigners evacuating Italy on board, who are happy to be quarantined at their destination.
    Quite a few are Easyjet and Ryanair. Of course they may not be very full but the time to treat such arrivals with mandatory confinement for 14 days has surely arrived.
    Kay Burley interviewing a holiday maker in Rome who is trying to get a flight home failed to tell her she would face 14 day self isolation on landing back in UK

Maybe Burley did not want to upset her but she does not hold back with others

Mind you her morning programme is poor
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr L,

I thought that you were only 21?

It seems to me that you and your wife are being sensible and proportionate. It is time that the government encouraged others to do the same. @edmundintokyo's contributions were really interesting overnight. So much can be done with persuasion and good advice.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

There are obvious reasons. Tell everyone to wear a face masks and face masks will be gone like a shot. This way, stocks can be replenished, people can find creative ways of their own, etc. Same with isolation, food buying etc. People should also remember that we are getting better and better treatments, and we are nearing a cure. We shouldn't depend on that but we should be wary of economic consequences that will just as surely result in deaths for the vulnerable.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited March 2020
    t
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I'm quite willing to give government the benefit of the doubt, but when their measures seem to contradict the advice and statistics they publicly acknowledge, comment is in order.

I read (in a report of infection of French politicians) that the French cabinet have not been shaking hands for TWO WEEKS.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

Anglicans have communion too, though they have issued guidance that those with coughs or sneezes should not drink from the main communion cup

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8003965/Church-England-issues-coronavirus-warning-congregations.html
    Not just Anglicans but most Protestants. In many Catholic churches the congregation does not get any wine, so you could easily argue that protestants have twice the chance to get infected, and much more if a chalice of wine is shared.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. The "hurr hurr hurr, panicking bedwetters buying loorolls" mentality is here to stay until we start running out of ICU beds in a few weeks, when it will vanish like snow in summer. Why not wait until that huge resistance has evaporated rather than waste energy contending with it, may be the thinking.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not just Anglicans but most Protestants. In many Catholic churches the congregation does not get any wine, so you could easily argue that protestants have twice the chance to get infected, and much more if a chalice of wine is shared.
    Do Evangelical Protestants have communion?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

There are obvious reasons. Tell everyone to wear a face masks and face masks will be gone like a shot. This way, stocks can be replenished, people can find creative ways of their own, etc. Same with isolation, food buying etc. People should also remember that we are getting better and better treatments, and we are nearing a cure. We shouldn't depend on that but we should be wary of economic consequences that will just as surely result in deaths for the vulnerable.
    We are ‘nearing a cure’?

Are we?

Do you have any evidence for that claim, or just a hunch?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, but children who are not at school are simply not going to sit in a darkened room with Eadric washing their hands every 30 minutes with industrial strength cleaner.

If children & teenagers are not at school, then they will be doing something else, probably gathering together with friends and heading into town and going to cinemas, etc.

It's not clearcut.
    I started from the point that government clearly already have plans in place for some manner of restrictions on social gathering (which would include things like religious services, sports events, cinemas etc).
    Given they appear to believe it inevitable, then considering introducing them sooner rather than later would be likely more effective.

The small things I said were entirely clearcut were (for example) advice for anyone with a respiratory tract infection to self-isolate.
    Things like that would not be costly at all in relation to the benefit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Michigan isn't though

I agree.

I do though have a higher skepticism of polls where one candidate is as good as certain and the other is a hypothetical. A Sanders fan who is aked the Biden vs Trump question is much less likely to say "Biden" now than in October when Trump's opponent is known.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Of course.
    But how often does Italy see its health system collapsing under the strain, as it is now ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

We are ‘nearing a cure’?

Are we?

Arstechnica's excellent guide to the virus:

What about treatments and vaccines?
    Since the epidemic began in January, researchers have rushed to start clinical trials and begun developing vaccine candidates. There are now dozens of vaccine efforts underway.

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health has partnered with biotechnology company Moderna to test a vaccine candidate based on messenger RNA that will cause an individual's cells to produce a viral protein without an infection. An early clinical trial in people is expected to start in the coming weeks. If it is successful, a usable vaccine will still take at least a year and a half, according to NIAD’s director, Dr. Fauci—and that is a very optimistic estimate.

Meanwhile, researchers and biotech companies are also working on treatments for COVID-19.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

We are ‘nearing a cure’?

Are we?

Should have said getting nearer the time when we will have a cure.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Michigan isn't though

I agree.

I do though have a higher skepticism of polls where one candidate is as good as certain and the other is a hypothetical. A Sanders fan who is aked the Biden vs Trump question is much less likely to say "Biden" now than in October when Trump's opponent is known.
    And it's out of kilter with other Michigan polling:
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/Michigan.html
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

Do Evangelical Protestants have communion?
    There are very many different Evangelical churches, each with a different way of doing things. FWIW All the ones I know/knew about certainly did have communion.

Also there are lots of other Protestant churches on top of the Anglican and Evangelical.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

We are ‘nearing a cure’?

Are we?

Should have said getting nearer the time when we will have a cure.
    My robot doing all my household chores is nodding in agreement.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Of course.
    But how often does Italy see its health system collapsing under the strain, as it is now ?
    And that collapse hangs as a stark warning for dozens of other countries of what is racing down the track at them within a fortnight.

Very, very sobering for any Government.

(Except Trump's, natch....)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

It’s clearly serious, we should take it seriously and sombrely. Whilst some are in denial at the other extreme some people seem to get off on the crisis, there is a type of Coronavirus porn out there. It’s as bad as the denialists.
    I agree 100%
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,331

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

No, although in this case it does appear to be the only thing Pence and Co are actually doing.
    Maybe but generally people get a free hit on Christians and expressions of Christianity.

If someone wanted to start a meeting by checking a horoscope then I'd hope that'd get mocked too.
    If someone started their meeting with eyes being closed and a moment of mindfulness, would you mock that? That's essentially what prayer is.
    I think I would dismantle my pen and blast the stupid twat with a pellet of chewed paper.
    which would be fair enough. but specifically christian (or hindu/muslim/buddhist etc) prayers in an official government meeting are a lot worse. unless you want to live in a theocracy
    No they aren't, unless you're a bigot. I'm not a Muslim, but if I were attending a meeting of Muslims, I'd be more than happy to close my eyes with them, pray to my God or no God, and be happy and grateful for their well-wishes. In Syria, the Muslim president attends the Orthodox Church at Easter. That's what being tolerant is about.
    I am not a bigot, but favour separation of state and religion.
    I also don't think the president of Syria is a model to follow in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Please read this twitter thread
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. The "hurr hurr hurr, panicking bedwetters buying loorolls" mentality is here to stay until we start running out of ICU beds in a few weeks, when it will vanish like snow in summer. Why not wait until that huge resistance has evaporated rather than waste energy contending with it, may be the thinking.
    I think you're right, that's what it is. But politicians sometimes need to lead rather than wait for people to panic first. I'm not being especially critical of Johnson - I see it's a delicate balance. But I think it's tipped to more action being needed now.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's not clearcut.
    I started from the point that government clearly already have plans in place for some manner of restrictions on social gathering (which would include things like religious services, sports events, cinemas etc).
    Given they appear to believe it inevitable, then considering introducing them sooner rather than later would be likely more effective.

Everyone should be behaving responsibly. If you come back from Italy, it is your responsibility to self-isolate.

I don't think it does follow that introducing restrictions sooner rather than later is likely to be more effective. It may be the case, but it is not obvious.

If children/teenagers (who can afford to be very blase about this disease) are not at school, then they are doing something else -- which may be more effective in spreading the virus.

With all due respect, the Chief Scientific Officer will have access to much better data, simulations, statistics and epidemiology experts than you. I know some of them & I trust them.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

That is the drunk driver's fallacy: why aren't you catching all those rapists and murderers out there instead of breathalysing me, offisher? The answer is that we have to tackle problems as they come up, we have to be proportionate about it taking into account how serious the problem is and how effective the tackling is likely to be, we can tackle more than one thing at once, sometimes we get it wrong but that does not absolve us from trying.

You could also claim that we are each one of 7 bn people on one of 100 bn planets in one of 100 bn galaxies, so at almost all scales it doesn't matter a toss what anybody does.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

It seems to me that you and your wife are being sensible and proportionate. It is time that the government encouraged others to do the same. @edmundintokyo's contributions were really interesting overnight. So much can be done with persuasion and good advice.
    19 actually.

I am going to cancel our trip to our son's in Vancouver in May but am waiting to see if the government's advise makes it possible, due to my age and risk factor, to claim cancellation from my travel insurance
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

The Catholic Church here has already sent out guidance about the hygiene steps to be taken before and during Mass and other ways of limiting contact. If you are very ill or dying it looks as if your priest may not visit you at home but provide spiritual care over the phone. The last rites for the Last Rites.

If someone close to me were dying - and I hope to God I am not put in this position - I think I would take the risk and stay with them to the end. The thought of someone I love dying alone uncomforted is horrific.
    In sickness and in health....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083

CD13 said:

Mr L,

As often happens on matters like this, I agree with Mr G. I'm 80+, have (it was diagnosed 75 or so years ago ) asthma, although, touch wood etc, I've never been hospitalised with it. My wife also has mild asthma, although in her case diagnosis was very much more recent.

We are not especially worried; we go out and about, although I've just cried off from what is often a very crowded meeting in quite a small room. However, we're off to the cinema this afternoon; not usually very full, Sadly both our local football teams are away this weekend, so I won't be able to go.
    However, I'm going to a couple small U3a gatherings later in the week, where I shall have the opportunity to wash my hands after the meetings. And I won't be touching anyone!
  • Options

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

19 actually.

I am going to cancel our trip to our son's in Vancouver in May but am waiting to see if the government's advise makes it possible, due to my age and risk factor, to claim cancellation from my travel insurance
    Can't wait until you stop being this stroppy teenager.....
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379

t

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I read (in a report of infection of French politicians) that the French cabinet have not been shaking hands for TWO WEEKS.
    I doubt the French Cabinet have EVER shaken hands.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

US a media lost the plot a long time ago, and the UK media are going down the same path.

Most media types are too young to remember a proper pandemic, and they haven’t realised the need to act responsibly and convey the message - which is easier in the UK, as the scientists and politicians are saying exactly the same things.
    My personal annoyance is how they breathlessly seek out and report on (usually retired) “experts” criticising “the Government’s” approach. Implying that the Govt is just Boris and co sitting in a room making it up, fight to keep “the experts” out of the process.

It’s something that’s fine during eg. an election but completely inappropriate in current situation.
    The media are to some extent a branch of the entertainment business, and their motto is "simplify, then exaggerate" - it sells and always has. To be fair, I don't think the Opposition (any of the parties) have been exploiting it - they're all preoccupied with their own stuff and basically letting the Government get on with it. Not great, frankly, but better than knee-jerk hysteria.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

From what we know they may well spread the virus through other means too. At this stage while we're trying to contact trace all cases then if there's any spread in a school it will happen under a school nurse's supervision and can be reported to the relevant authorities who can manage it scientifically with expert advice. If a certain school is suspect then close that, deep clean it and isolate anyone who needs isolating.

But if you just do a blanket closure of all schools the net effect is that a great many kids will end up being looked after by their grandparents who might take them out to parks etc where they could be touching the same equipment (swings etc) as other kids. So now you have kids spreading the virus to each other still, but without a nurse's supervision and with it being spread directly to grandparents too. That's not progress!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

As an altar boy in my youth I always thought communion, sharing the drinking vessel, was unhygienic. IIRC the priest's view was a) it was holy, so therefore safe, and b) it was alcohol, so therefore safe.
    Not sure how much alcohol is in altar wine.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I also don't think the president of Syria is a model to follow in any way whatsoever.
    Well then I'm afraid your attitude lacks sense. The President of Syria probably washes his hands a lot too - are you against that?

On religion, 'banning' prayer, which is essentially what you're proposing, is exactly the same behaviour as enforcing strict Christian observance in the past. It is a religious attitude. It is forcing people to do it your way.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

To be fair, I don't think the Opposition (any of the parties) have been exploiting it
    Shadow chancellor John McDonnell accused the government of offering only "vague statements" in response to the outbreak, saying it needed to guarantee sick pay for all workers and address issues such as a shortage of 100,000 NHS staff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51796072
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    edited March 2020
    algarkirk said:

The question is whether the situation in Italy now and Hubei before is one that we think acceptable to "take on the chin", as Johnson put it. If it isn't acceptable we need to take effective preventative measures.
  • Options

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

19 actually.

If you don't mind me asking if you have young grandchildren/great grandchildren would you refuse to see them in the coming months or are you still planning on seeing them?

If you don't mind me asking if schools were closed and you were asked to watch them while their parents went to work would you refuse?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I think you're right, that's what it is. But politicians sometimes need to lead rather than wait for people to panic first. I'm not being especially critical of Johnson - I see it's a delicate balance. But I think it's tipped to more action being needed now.
    "Never give an order if you think it might not be obeyed" is apparently what they tell young army officers.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr L,

As often happens on matters like this, I agree with Mr G. I'm 80+, have (it was diagnosed 75 or so years ago ) asthma, although, touch wood etc, I've never been hospitalised with it. My wife also has mild asthma, although in her case diagnosis was very much more recent.

We are not especially worried; we go out and about, although I've just cried off from what is often a very crowded meeting in quite a small room. However, we're off to the cinema this afternoon; not usually very full, Sadly both our local football teams are away this weekend, so I won't be able to go.
    However, I'm going to a couple small U3a gatherings later in the week, where I shall have the opportunity to wash my hands after the meetings. And I won't be touching anyone!
    Maybe we are demonstrating age brings wisdom and lots more common sense
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

From what we know they may well spread the virus through other means too. At this stage while we're trying to contact trace all cases then if there's any spread in a school it will happen under a school nurse's supervision and can be reported to the relevant authorities who can manage it scientifically with expert advice. If a certain school is suspect then close that, deep clean it and isolate anyone who needs isolating.

But if you just do a blanket closure of all schools the net effect is that a great many kids will end up being looked after by their grandparents who might take them out to parks etc where they could be touching the same equipment (swings etc) as other kids. So now you have kids spreading the virus to each other still, but without a nurse's supervision and with it being spread directly to grandparents too. That's not progress!
    'Children in schools' includes teenagers, and teenagers have practices which include very close socialisation!
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Well then I'm afraid your attitude lacks sense. The President of Syria probably washes his hands a lot too - are you against that?

On religion, 'banning' prayer, which is essentially what you're proposing, is exactly the same behaviour as enforcing strict Christian observance in the past. It is a religious attitude. It is forcing people to do it your way.
    I don't propose banning prayer. I'm quite content to take the piss out of anyone who shares a photo of them praying for a solution.

If someone shared a photo of them looking at a horoscope for a solution to this would you take the piss out of them?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

That is the drunk driver's fallacy: why aren't you catching all those rapists and murderers out there instead of breathalysing me, offisher? The answer is that we have to tackle problems as they come up, we have to be proportionate about it taking into account how serious the problem is and how effective the tackling is likely to be, we can tackle more than one thing at once, sometimes we get it wrong but that does not absolve us from trying.

You could also claim that we are each one of 7 bn people on one of 100 bn planets in one of 100 bn galaxies, so at almost all scales it doesn't matter a toss what anybody does.
    You imply you are disagreeing with me but as I agree with everything you say there must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

I am reading it, alongside airlines' offers of cheap flights to Milan, still arriving and departing every few minutes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

'Children in schools' includes teenagers, and teenagers have practices which include very close socialisation!
    Indeed! And those teenagers will continue to closely socialise even if schools are closed too . . .
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Equally if you think people will only self-isolate for say 2 weeks you have to get the timing right so that when people

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

19 actually.

Can you change the dates to later in the way - I know KLM are now offering rebooking without any rebooking fee (just the difference in flight prices)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

I am reading it, alongside airlines' offers of cheap flights to Milan, still arriving and departing every few minutes.
    This is the area that causes me to question the government's policy.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I don't propose banning prayer. I'm quite content to take the piss out of anyone who shares a photo of them praying for a solution.

If someone shared a photo of them looking at a horoscope for a solution to this would you take the piss out of them?
    No.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

You imply you are disagreeing with me but as I agree with everything you say there must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

Ah, OK, good. Rhetorical questions are a minefield.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

The question is whether the situation in Italy now and Hubei before is one that we think acceptable to "take on the chin", as Johnson put it. If it isn't acceptable we need to take effective preventative measures.
    I agree, but still wonder if we are losing perspective.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I certainly wouldn't use the president of Syria as poster-child for handwashing.

But in terms of "tolerant" it is really unbelievable that anyone would choose as an example of tolerance a war criminal who has killed 10s of thousands of civilians.

I am certainly totally against banning prayer, how on earth am I proposing that?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's not clearcut.

Everyone should be behaving responsibly. If you come back from Italy, it is your responsibility to self-isolate.

I don't think it does follow that introducing restrictions sooner rather than later is likely to be more effective. It may be the case, but it is not obvious.

If children/teenagers (who can afford to be very blase about this disease) are not at school, then they are doing something else -- which may be more effective in spreading the virus.

With all due respect, the Chief Scientific Officer will have access to much better data, simulations, statistics and epidemiology experts than you. I know some of them & I trust them.
    Absolutely.

Besides we know which European country chose [against our scientific advice] to close schools prematurely and how badly they're now suffering. This is not a magic bullet and can be very counter-productive which is what the evidence is showing in Italy.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

No.
    I don't believe you. I would.
  • Options

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

19 actually.

If you don't mind me asking if you have young grandchildren/great grandchildren would you refuse to see them in the coming months or are you still planning on seeing them?

If you don't mind me asking if schools were closed and you were asked to watch them while their parents went to work would you refuse?
    Yesterday we picked up two of our young grandchildren from school and I cooked them their tea until their father picked them up at 6.00pm. We do this every monday in term time. We have no plans whatsover to stop seeing our grandchildren

If schools closed we would look after them as much as we could bearing in mind our ages
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:
    Michigan isn't though

I agree.

2016 does not necessarily suggest that given in Michigan and Wisconsin many Sanders voters clearly stayed home in November.

While Biden does best nationally against Trump in those 2 swing states which went for Trump last time Sanders often does best v Trump
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    On a more tentatively hopeful note, the number of cases in the 11 towns originally quarantined in Italy is apparently starting to finally come down. There's obviously still much further to go in dealing with all this, however.
  • Options
    What does she know?

The decision to delay closing schools and introduce other strict measures to combat coronavirus has been defended by England's deputy chief medical officer.
    Dr Jenny Harries said experts are assessing new cases on an hourly basis to achieve a "balanced response".

She told BBC Breakfast new measures could follow as UK cases begin to rise rapidly over the next two weeks. In the UK, five people with the virus have died. There were 319 confirmed cases as of 09:00 GMT on Monday.

Dr Harries said the vast majority of those diagnosed with coronavirus in Britain are "pretty well" but that they may "feel rough for a few days".

She said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be guided by science. "The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are safe."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51812326

Bring on the armchair epidemiologists, I say!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

As an altar boy in my youth I always thought communion, sharing the drinking vessel, was unhygienic. IIRC the priest's view was a) it was holy, so therefore safe, and b) it was alcohol, so therefore safe.
    The cup is at least wiped after each user
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

I certainly wouldn't use the president of Syria as poster-child for handwashing.

But in terms of "tolerant" it is really unbelievable that anyone would choose as an example of tolerance a war criminal who has killed 10s of thousands of civilians.

I am certainly totally against banning prayer, how on earth am I proposing that?
    I would imagine he keeps fairly clean hands - he trained as an opthalmologist.

I would be able to be pickier if there were more examples.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Waste of time discussing science and evidence with appartchiks.
    I disagree. Bad arguments should be confronted.
    I 100% agree. Which is why I agree with scientists and not the deluded who think closing schools is evidence based. Hint: It's not!
    And I note you didn't even address the first two points I made.
    Which were direct replies to your original question.
    You mean these?

They are asking people with coronavirus symptoms to self-isolate and use 111 already. Not asking those with the common cold to do so at the moment for reasons the scientists explained in the press conference yesterday.

That is the government's advice already. "Travellers should self-isolate, even if asymptomatic": https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas-with-implications-for-returning-travellers-or-visitors-arriving-in-the-uk
  • Options

algarkirk said:

eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Italy, due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) and in line with various controls and restrictions imposed by the Italian authorities on 9 March.

British nationals remain able to depart Italy without restriction. Airports remain open throughout Italy. However, airline schedules are subject to change and some flights are being cancelled. Travellers are advised to check flight details with airlines.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Just on R4 that Italian government has advised that all tourists returning from anywhere in Italy should self-isolate in their home country for two weeks.

Barnesian?

Which would seem sensible.

I note Hancock was asked directly about this yesterday, and completely avoided (or completely missed the point of) the question with some crap about temperature testing not being diagnostic...
    Will Austria allow Barnesian across the border to catch his flight in Innsbruck? If I were Barnesian I would have fleed Italy by now and spent the last few days of my skiing holiday in Austria. Maybe he has.
    He's close enough to get across on skis, although his suitcases might have to be left behind.
    On Her European Commissioner’s Secret Service.
    Indeed, I imagine our Barnesian skiing down the slopes towards Austria hotly pursued by some carabinieri.

I've just had an email from one of the hotels in the Italian Alps I am due to stay at in May, whose owner I know reasonably well; they just say that the situation is terrible there; everything is closed, and they don't know when it is going to end. They wish us not to have the same.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

No.
    I wouldn't take the piss out of anyone sincerely looking for a beneficial outcome.
  • Options

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

19 actually.

Yesterday we picked up two of our young grandchildren from school and I cooked them their tea until their father picked them up at 6.00pm. We do this every monday in term time. We have no plans whatsover to stop seeing our grandchildren

If schools closed we would look after them as much as we could bearing in mind our ages
    Thanks, that's what I'd expect. If schools close then children will continue to mingle, but with the added effect of visiting grandparents much more often on top of the fact they're still mingling.

While its nice for grandparents to see grandchildren I don't see why removing a school nurse and school teacher's supervision of children and replacing it with grandparents doing so is medical progress.
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

No.
    I wouldn't take the piss out of anyone sincerely looking for a beneficial outcome.
    Superstitions like prayer, horoscopes or any other such nonsense isn't sincerely looking - science is.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

On a more tentatively hopeful note, the number of cases in the 11 towns originally quarantined in Italy is apparently starting to finally come down. There's obviously still much further to go in dealing with all this, however.

The actual number of cases is coming down, or the growth rate of the number of cases is coming down? I suspect the latter.
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Equally if you think people will only self-isolate for say 2 weeks you have to get the timing right so that when people

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Mr L,

19 actually.

Can you change the dates to later in the way - I know KLM are now offering rebooking without any rebooking fee (just the difference in flight prices)
    I am not sure but I cannot see when the situation will settle down so I either get cancellation insurance of £2,000 BA air fare or refund of insurance of £670.

Of course if BA or the government advise against all non essential travel for high risk elderly then I would get both back. Hence why I am waiting to see what happens

However, my daughter in law and her mother living in Vancouver were due to fly to Australia and join a cruise to New Zealand yesterday but cancelled it 24 hours before leaving and were given a full credit for that cruise to be used on another one at a later date
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2020
    Here's Richard Lehman. He has written a blog for the BMJ on evidence based medicine for something like 25 years.

https://twitter.com/RichardLehman1/status/1237296770620809217?s=20

Let's hope there is some work going on in the background.

algarkirk said:

eristdoof said:

algarkirk said:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Italy, due to an ongoing outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) and in line with various controls and restrictions imposed by the Italian authorities on 9 March.

British nationals remain able to depart Italy without restriction. Airports remain open throughout Italy. However, airline schedules are subject to change and some flights are being cancelled. Travellers are advised to check flight details with airlines.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
    That advice came through late last night. Bit slow no?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

Probably not 60% !

The only alcohol strong enough to be a disinfectant is things like Overproof Rum. Somehow I'm doubting that communion wine is as strong as Wray & Nephew's Overproof Rum.

If it is, that's a religion I might be able to get into! ;)
  • Options
    It seems to be difficult to find a precise figure for the 1968 Hong Kong flu mortality rate but several sources describe it as being around 0.5%.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

I agree, but still wonder if we are losing perspective.
    Not sure about the UK, but Germany is still way too complacent. Everyone is just carrying on as normal.
    My wife (a senior doctor in a NRW emergency room) was in almost in tears yesterday arguing on the phone with her boss because she wants to test everyone who comes in with possible Coronavirus symptoms not just those with travel to "hotspots" or contact with known cases - which is what the RKI guidelines say. It's especially stupid because NRW itself is a by now pretty much a hotspot.
    One argument the hospital used is that if people are tested they have to be put in isolation until the result comes back, and there isn't enough space to put all those people in isolation. Which also seems stupid. The answer surely isn't to not test people.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

"Never give an order if you think it might not be obeyed" is apparently what they tell young army officers.
    Nothing I remember from RMAS. Then again most of it was a blur.

The one thing I do remember, from a book on leadership they give cadets, is a quote from Hannibal. Perhaps relevant to some of our more excitable posters:

"Fools, would you live forever?"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133
    Sandpit said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

In other news international flights continue in and out of Milan Malpensa and every other Italian airport, but do be careful not to shake hands with your best friend when you meet at the South pole.
    Some of these may be cargo-only flights, or flying empty thanks to EU rules on slot allocations (use it or lose it basis). There could also be foreigners evacuating Italy on board, who are happy to be quarantined at their destination.
    Most flights will be empty , also look at live cam of Trevi fountain it is empty
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

The actual number of cases is coming down, or the growth rate of the number of cases is coming down? I suspect the latter.
    "As the whole of Italy goes into lockdown, there are some reassuring signs that measures are starting to work. Across the 11 towns that went into quarantine more than two weeks ago, the number of cases is beginning to fall.

“In the province of Lodi, and even more so, in Codogno, there’s a net reduction in the number of positive cases,” said Giulio Galleria, the welfare councillor for Lombardy, the region worst affected.

The 38-year-old man from Codogno, who was Italy’s first locally transmitted case, was moved out of intensive care on Monday. The number of people to have so far overcome the virus is 724."
  • Options

Thanks, that's what I'd expect. If schools close then children will continue to mingle, but with the added effect of visiting grandparents much more often on top of the fact they're still mingling.

While its nice for grandparents to see grandchildren I don't see why removing a school nurse and school teacher's supervision of children and replacing it with grandparents doing so is medical progress.

We are going round in circles here.
    eristdoof said:

This discussion has been closed.