Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters on CON & the LDs are more bullish than the MRP project

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters on CON & the LDs are more bullish than the MRP projections while punters on LAB much less so

Tories drop two overnight on the Commons seat spread markets following the @YouGov MRP findingshttps://t.co/4YkmMD4pUd pic.twitter.com/8rT1Jqrs7X

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First.
  • Options
    Keep calm and carry on.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Surely Brexit Party should be lower than 0.25? Let's assume there is a negligible chance of them winning more than one seat, it becomes a 1/3 bet on them winning 0 seats or 3/1 on them winning 1 seat. That's an attractive bet on 0, given they are 5/1 to win Hartlepool which is their top target.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    MRP out of line with regional/constituency polling - MRP significantly more favourable to Labour.

MRP issues about how they cope with already-cast postals.
  • Options
    Ok, so I have quickly added in ability to capture swing by region. Folks who have been looking at MRP, does this look vaguely sensible / correct?

• Options
    Reposting this from the end of the last thread because I'm keen to hear comments telling me I'm not completely crazy!

Something that's reducing my blood pressure a little has been a quick comparison of the ranges of the final 2017 and 2019 MRPs:

2017: 269-334. Range 65. Midpoint 301.5.
    2019: 311-367. Range 56. Midpoint 339.

Observations:

1. The midpoint today is greater than the top of the range last time. We Tories would have killed for this MRP in 2017.

2. The Tories actually outperformed the 2017 midpoint considerably: 317 stands at 73.8% of the top of the range. Replicating that performance this time would give the Tories an impressive 352.

3. Of course, past performance is no guarantee of the future, and the better they are predicted to be doing in absolute terms the harder it is to outperform, but even hitting only 25% of the range would put them on 325, which is enough to pass the Deal and govern for some time. 315, which is the realistic minimum to stay in (paralysed) office and keep Corbyn out, requires us to hit only 7.1% of the range.

And breathe! :smile:
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    15 seats for Lib Dems looks too low. That really would be a disastrous result after all their earlier optimism.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    @FrancisUrquhart your sheet is going to be invaluable on the night. Thanks!
  • Options
    I reckon the eve of polling day polls will show massive herding and have a good chance of all being wrong in the same direction, or, if right, more by accident than design.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Afternoon all :)

As we all seem eager to report on our home patches, here in Labour's third safest seat (currently), there remains little or no activity.

MRP gives Labour 68%, the Conservatives 16%, LDs 8%, Greens 4% and BXP 3%.

I'm not entirely convinced - I can't see a 15 point drop in the Labour number and I expect Stephen Timms to poll 75% with the Conservatives on 10-12%, LDs on 5-7% and the rest losing their deposits.

A final observation - we're told this election hinges on labour LEAVE voters switching to the Conservatives but this doesn't seem to be a London phenomenon. Newham voted 53-47 to REMAIN in 2016 so that means a lot of Labour voters must have voted LEAVE so why aren't the Conservatives doing better with them?

There' s a much sharper London/rest of England divide out there but I'm not sure I appreciate or fully understand it.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner.....

(Everyone join in).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    FPT
    Alistair said:

» show previous quotes
    2015 fooled everyone. 56 seats looked emphatic but a lot of them were on small majorities and won via differential turnout.

The tories are consolidating as the Unionist vote and Yes friendly SLab voters are seemingly refusing to accept this are are risking it all with Lab votes rather than SNP.

Possibly , Westminster is irrelevant as far as I am concerned, the Scottish MP's get ignored totally and the Tory/Labour ones don't even attend/speak other than to go cruising in the bars and restaurants.
    We could send all SNP MP's and they would still be ignored and derided. Unfortunately too many Scots are happy being doormats and having their lives decided by another country, massive lack of backbone.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If it all works....😅
  • Options
    NOM is generally into 2/1 or 9/4 with the high street firms, compared with 3/1 or more yesterday.
  • Options
    stodge said:

As we all seem eager to report on our home patches, here in Labour's third safest seat (currently), there remains little or no activity.

I'm not entirely convinced - I can't see a 15 point drop in the Labour number and I expect Stephen Timms to poll 75% with the Conservatives on 10-12%, LDs on 5-7% and the rest losing their deposits.

A final observation - we're told this election hinges on labour LEAVE voters switching to the Conservatives but this doesn't seem to be a London phenomenon. Newham voted 53-47 to REMAIN in 2016 so that means a lot of Labour voters must have voted LEAVE so why aren't the Conservatives doing better with them?

There' s a much sharper London/rest of England divide out there but I'm not sure I appreciate or fully understand it.

(Everyone join in).

Basically the LDs are doing OK in strong Remain areas but crap elsewhere
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    RobD said:

It's really fantastic work. And if the polls are wrong and the result is surprising, it will make those on here a lot of money I think.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

NOM is generally into 2/1 or 9/4 with the high street firms, compared with 3/1 or more yesterday.

Natural and understandable betting reaction to the MRP
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2019
    Quincel said:

Surely Brexit Party should be lower than 0.25? Let's assume there is a negligible chance of them winning more than one seat, it becomes a 1/3 bet on them winning 0 seats or 3/1 on them winning 1 seat. That's an attractive bet on 0, given they are 5/1 to win Hartlepool which is their top target.

The SpreadEx sell price is 0.75
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    A request on behalf of everyone betting, if before the exit poll anyone wants to post 'I'm hearing....' anecdotes can we at least have a generalized source (my own canvassing, mates, someone in the party etc) as its getting to crunch money time for many
  • Options

Ok, so I have quickly added in ability to capture swing by region. Folks who have been looking at MRP, does this look vaguely sensible / correct?

What does it show? The colour scheme implies swing to Tories (blue) or to LDs (yellow). The text seems to say that blue is swing to Labour.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    16 seats have moved from Con to Lab between the first and second YouGov MRP studies:

Bedford, Clwyd South, Dewsbury, Hyndburn, Kensington, Leigh,
    Stockton South, Stoke Central, Stroud, Vale Of Clwyd, Warrington South,
    Warwick, West Bromwich East, Wolv' SW, Workington, Ynys Mon.

3 seats have moved from SNP to Lab: East Lothian, Kirkcaldy, Rutherglen.
    2 seats have moved from Con to Lab: Chipping Barnet, Putney.
    2 seats have moved from Con to SNP: Angus, Gordon.
    2 seats have moved from Con to LD: S Cambs, Winchester.
    1 seat has moved from Lab to Con: Sedgefield.
    1 seat has moved from SNP to LD: Caithness.
    1 seat has moved from SNP to Con: Lanark.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LfRjAazZUbSjAOQ0w_ctAPWKfi5hBKilNj0LvuIZp9U/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    RobD said:

Agreed - going to make it even more exciting.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Andy_JS said:

16 seats have moved from Con to Lab between the first and second YouGov MRP studies:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LfRjAazZUbSjAOQ0w_ctAPWKfi5hBKilNj0LvuIZp9U/edit#gid=0

Thanks for this - very helpful
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

What does it show? The colour scheme implies swing to Tories (blue) or to LDs (yellow). The text seems to say that blue is swing to Labour.
    The top shows votes going from Labour to the Tories (Tory vote is increasing)

The bottom shows votes going from the Tories to the Lib Dems (Tory vote is decreasing).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leamington looks very solid for Labour. I suspect Warwick is much less so. Matt Western's fate, I believe, depends on how many students went home for Xmas last weekend. It definitely feels much, much closer than I was expecting.

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Had some info sent to me from a friend at a hedge fund that suggests after overnight data crunching the MRP very much downplaying the Tory majority and overweighting the 15,000 samples from Monday. They suggest the projected lead should be over 10 points but MRP essentially showing 8.6% lead. They think Yougov have lowered Tory prospects because of photogate but see it as a blip rather than an ongoing trend. They see it as a Tory majority of 60 and are fairly comfortable about it.

Wish I could share their optimism!
  • Options
    Still not much sign of the election here in Maidenhead.

Had our second Con leaflet yesterday - Theresa and local issues on one side, Boris and Brexit on the back.

The MRP predicts a halving of the Con majority down to 12k. Think it will be a bit higher than that at around the 15k mark.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    There seems to be a slight paucity of polls, compared to other campaigns I can remember on PB. As a non-expert on the polling industry, am I right to wonder whether some polls may not have been released during this campaign, because of its particularly unpredictable nature, the poor record in 2017, and so polling outfits judging that non-campaign polls are less dangerous for a company's reputation ?
  • Options
    I've just had the Brexit Party candidate drove down my street using a loudhailer
  • Options
    Brom said:

Had some info sent to me from a friend at a hedge fund that suggests after overnight data crunching the MRP very much downplaying the Tory majority and overweighting the 15,000 samples from Monday. They suggest the projected lead should be over 10 points but MRP essentially showing 8.6% lead. They think Yougov have lowered Tory prospects because of photogate but see it as a blip rather than an ongoing trend. They see it as a Tory majority of 60 and are fairly comfortable about it.

There is a wide range of views in markets I think, but my impression is that the consensus is somewhat south of 60, maybe about half that.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    FPT

JohnO said:

Why was Boris the coward hiding in a fridge?

You really don't want the Tories to win, do you? Fair dos I suppose.

I'm completely back in the blue fold, even to the extent of agreeing to cycle in the forecasted pouring rain, at 6.30am for the first telling slot when polls open at 7.00am. Bloody idiot.

By the way, my hunch (I know, I know) is that Raab will win by 7-10k whatever the MRP predicts as a nail-biting 2%.
    John I fear if Boris Johnson wins a majority then he and the ERG will take all the wrong lessons from the victory and lose to a Corbynite in five years then the country will be truly buggered.

The ideal result for the country would be the Tories on a similar seat total as 2017/10.
    The problem the Conservatives have there is that, after 2010, the Lib Dems won't go into coalition with them again, and after 2017, neither will the DUP.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Just to show how close it is, of the 16 seats that were Conservative and are now Labour in the MRP study:

4 of them are now neck-and-neck.
    1 of them now has a 1% Labour lead.
    6 of them now have a 2% Labour lead.

A 2% lead would depend on 500 voters switching between the main parties. The Con maj would be back up to 50 if those seats went back to the Tories.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

Mental hopefulness. I think we're talking Cameron levels of majority at the moment.
  • Options
    The SNP should hire me as a fashion consultant

https://twitter.com/jc753/status/1204424530686619648?s=21
  • Options

It is two separates series that I stacked on one another. The Blue is Tory / Labour swing, and the orange is Tory / LD swing. Positive y means swing to Tories

I am just creating a better chart that should be clearer.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697
    stodge said:

(Everyone join in).

And reposting from earlier, my seat is third safest in terms of absolute vote majority but only fifth in terms of swing needed.

I've also reported on Bootle earlier.

I believe it will be a Labour hold.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Finally received a Labour leaflet here is St Albans. The Conservative leaflets are all national focused, hardly any mention of Anne Main, you need to search the fine detail to find her.
    Lib Dem leaflets are all about Daisy Cooper.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just to show how close it is, of the 16 seats that were Conservative and are now Labour in the MRP study:

A 2% lead would depend on 500 voters switching between the main parties. The Con maj would be back up to 50 if those seats went back to the Tories.

"6 of them now have a 2% Labour lead."

Which 6 are these?
  • Options

Brom said:

Mental hopefulness. I think we're talking a Cameron-sized majority at best, or 30 max.
    I think there is something to phoneygate being a blip. From my perspective, I was in a blind rage about the activist "journalist" on Monday, angry on Tuesday, only mildly irritated today, and by Thursday it'll be off my mental radar.

Emotional intensity and memory for daily events have very short half-lives in an age of 24 hours news and smartphone-induced ADHD...
  • Options
    I see that the exit poll is based on the same polling stations as historically.

Will this give a representative sample this time around?

Will the bad weather adversely impact people being willing to be part of the exit poll?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

I reckon the eve of polling day polls will show massive herding and have a good chance of all being wrong in the same direction, or, if right, more by accident than design.

I reckon you will get one or two showing a narrowing to 4 points
  • Options

Will the bad weather adversely impact people being willing to be part of the exit poll?

All the experts say that bad weather doesn't affect turnout.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"6 of them now have a 2% Labour lead."

Which 6 are these?
    Clwyd South (44-42)
    Dewsbury (45-43)
    Hyndburn (43-41)
    Kensington (38-36)
    Stoke Central (43-41)
    Workington (43-41)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

But is the exit poll carried out inside the poling stations or outside?
  • Options
    timmo said:

I reckon you will get one or two showing a narrowing to 4 points
    Possible, but I am not convinced. I think the 9-10% range will exert a powerful gravitational pull.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bizarre comments from Farage now trying to stop a Tory majority . If he hated the deal so much then he shouldn’t have pulled out of those Tory seats .

• Options

Andy_JS said:

It must be outside, surely?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    Can now log back into Vanilla again after a gap of several weeks. My takes on the election:
    1. The Johnson strategy revealed in August of embracing and exterminating the Brexit Party will pay off. Maybe handsomely; maybe not. But it will get him over the majority line.
    2. "The Conservative Party is politically and morally bankrupt and led by an out-and-out fraud, but at least he's not Corbyn". That notion has little salience. People who vote Conservative and perfectly OK with the party and its leader. Not very many are Remainers.
    3. People are turning against Brexit, but in a way that benefits the Tories and harms the Lib Dems. Rather than saying this is a mess (as most people think it is) let's not go there, they don't want to talk about it or engage with the problem. The Tories cover the topic in three words - get Brexit done - so they get the nod.
    4. YouGov's MRP poll confirms what I suspect about Scotland: there will be fewer Tory MPs in Scotland and more Labour ones than people think. That's because the main movement of floating voters is between the Conservatives and the SNP. Those voters aren't presumably massive unionists. Also any collapse in the Labour voteshare in Scotland harms rather than benefits the Tories. The collapsed votes will go to the SNP who could then outvote the Tories in the constituencies they hold.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Con maj would be back up to 50 if those shifted the other way again.

Yes, exactly. People are being too precise in their guesstimates of a possible majority. YouGove quote 95% confidence limits of 311 - 367, which is quite a big range. Even if you ease it off to 80% confidence limits, then you'd expect* the range to be around 321 - 357. That suggests roughly a 10% chance of a Hung Parliament but also a 10% chance of a majority of 66 or more.

(* assume normal distribution, so 1.282 standard deviations for 80% and 1.96 for 95%)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Bizarre comments from Farage now trying to stop a Tory majority . If he hated the deal so much then he shouldn’t have pulled out of those Tory seats .

All very odd, and could be a late danger for the Tories. He seems a very insecure and unpredictable character.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    ''Bizarre commentts from Farage....''

Might the tories be able to eke an extra percentage point nationally out of BXP when push comes to shove?

plenty of these knife edge seats have a significant BXP vote.
  • Options

The SNP should hire me as a fashion consultant

twitter.com/jc753/status/1204424530686619648?s=21

Made sure he has an Irn-Bru in shot though....
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Farage wants to stop Brexit, it's as simple as that!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I don't think Farage wants to stop a Conservative majority. He wants to STOP BREXIT.
    And the only way to do that, is if the Conservatives fail to get a majority.

It has come to something now, when Remains best, final hope is Nigel Farage, but things in this decade jumped the shark four years ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

It must be outside, surely?
    Yes, see page 42:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf_file/EPE-Polling-station-handbook.pdf
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

Farage wants to stop Brexit, it's as simple as that!
    Can see all those $ signs from all those different revenue streams by continuing to be Outraged Nige.

It is like those that think Maomentum and all their alt-media outlets will go away. They won't, because they are now onto a cushy thing, with people donating and subscribing and getting invited onto mainstream media.
  • Options
    I don't think he does want to stop Brexit, but he hates being manoeuvred from the limelight.
  • Options

Yes, that's a question I've asked. I think it means we should be conscious of the possibility that the exit poll may be less accurate than usual.
  • Options

I assume that they poll a broad cross section of polling stations but probably over-sample traditional marginals to get a more accurate read where accuracy is most important. If the marginals map has changed because of Brexit then they might struggle to be as accurate this time around? Eg you might be more interested in a seat like Bolsover than in the past, and a seat like Raab's in Surrey, but might not have a very accurate sense of those seats. Perhaps this will be reflected in a big margin of error, eg they might not be comfortable saying whether the Tories have a majority if their modal forecast is something like CON 330.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Question: do the spreads, by their nature, reflect views right now, or do they reflect a cumulative view since the spread opened, weighyed by time at which investments in yhe market were made? I would instinctively have thought the latter, but happy to be corrected. If I'm right, it explains the discrepancy.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Weird. I've had two Facebook ads in my timeline this morning from our local Conservative incumbent, defending his strongly pro-Brexit position.

Our (southern England) seat is 54/46 Remain/Leave but safe-as-houses Conservative. There is no point the Conservatives wasting money on Facebook advertising the day before the election... unless they're genuinely worried.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes, exactly. People are being too precise in their guesstimates of a possible majority. YouGove quote 95% confidence limits of 311 - 367, which is quite a big range. Even if you ease it off to 80% confidence limits, then you'd expect* the range to be around 321 - 357. That suggests roughly a 10% chance of a Hung Parliament but also a 10% chance of a majority of 66 or more.

(* assume normal distribution, so 1.282 standard deviations for 80% and 1.96 for 95%)
    Are their confidence limits based on the polling/data that day? Or allowing for any movement between the poll and election day?
  • Options

Yes, that's a question I've asked. I think it means we should be conscious of the possibility that the exit poll may be less accurate than usual.
    Isn't the usual margin of error they claim about +/- 20 right?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Question: do the spreads, by their nature, reflect views right now, or do they reflect a cumulative view since the spread opened, weighyed by time at which investments in yhe market were made? I would instinctively have thought the latter, but happy to be corrected. If I'm right, it explains the discrepancy.

They must reflect the best information available now, otherwise they would be offering free money.
    The differential could reflect the convexity of the payoffs, eg you could lose a lot more money laying the Lib Dems than backing them, and that might explain why the markets give them more seats than the polls (my forecast is the same as the MRP, FWIW).
  • Options
    Rain isn’t a big problem for turnout . Stormy weather could have had an impact . Originally the models had an area of very strong winds across most of the country and this might have led to some weather warnings . The fact that the winds have been toned down means it’s just a bog standard crap weather day .

The Tories will be disappointed because very adverse weather could have helped them given postal votes are likely to favour them .
  • Options
    I voted remain in part because both George Galloway and Nigel Farage thought it was a good idea (though mostly because it would cause a huge mess and probably lead to the resignation of David Cameron despite his protestations to the contrary). Having both of those people tell me not to vote Tory similarly helps in my decision.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

It's a good question. The signs are that the parameters of the 2019 election will be close enough to the 2017 election that differences between the two will be picked up accurately. Might not be the case if the LDs or BP were polling in the 30% range.
  • Options

I don't think he does want to stop Brexit, but he hates being manoeuvred from the limelight.

Yes. Perhaps I read too much into it.

I recall from one of the Brexit books I read that Nigel never expected (or even wanted) to win in 2016. He viewed it as both impossible, and also wouldn't give him power.

He wanted a very close result, 48 or 49% for Leave and then to use UKIP in 2020 to take a swath of seats, getting power (and possibly Brexit too) that way.

Instead, he messed up. Campaigned too well but also allowed other Conservatives to take the limelight (Johnson and Gove) which then won it for Leave.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Are their confidence limits based on the polling/data that day? Or allowing for any movement between the poll and election day?
    I think it's on the polling data they have, but I'm not sure.
  • Options

Yes. Perhaps I read too much into it.

I recall from one of the Brexit books I read that Nigel never expected (or even wanted) to win in 2016. He viewed it as both impossible, and also wouldn't give him power.

He wanted a very close result, 48 or 49% for Leave and then to use UKIP in 2020 to take a swath of seats, getting power (and possibly Brexit too) that way.

Instead, he messed up. Campaigned too well but also allowed other Conservatives to take the limelight (Johnson and Gove) which then won it for Leave.
    If Nigel wanted power, he should have joined the DUP! :lol:
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    nico67 said:

Rain isn’t a big problem for turnout . Stormy weather could have had an impact . Originally the models had an area of very strong winds across most of the country and this might have led to some weather warnings . The fact that the winds have been toned down means it’s just a bog standard crap weather day .

The Tories will be disappointed because very adverse weather could have helped them given postal votes are likely to favour them .

I'm not sure, I think there's pros and cons for both parties in having a stormy day and on the whole they'll both be okay with the forecast.
  • Options

Isn't the usual margin of error they claim about +/- 20 right?
    Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Can’t see any reason why that Labour trend won’t be the same today, seems like another awful day for the Tories
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

Leamington looks very solid for Labour. I suspect Warwick is much less so. Matt Western's fate, I believe, depends on how many students went home for Xmas last weekend. It definitely feels much, much closer than I was expecting.

When I was a student at Warwick University all the Leamington council seats were Labour or LD and most of the Warwick and all the villages council seats were Tory.

If it was just Leamington, which is where the students are, it would be a clear Labour hold, only Warwick gives the Tories a chance (the villages now in Stratford on Avon or Kenilworth and Southam)
  • Options
    Just throwing this out there - but if Jezza were to announce today that he were too ill to become PM and that even if won an overall majority he would hand over to a caretaker while a leadership election took place, how would this affect tomorrow’s result? I rather think a Labour landslide. Of course he won’t though.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,080
    edited December 2019
    My betting view from the start has been for big Con majority. I'm sticking with that but in truth it would be best described now as pure impressionistic hunch. I await the exit poll tomorrow with genuine uncertainty and hence excitement. For my wallet, c'mon you Tories. For the country, c'mon you Hung Parliament!
  • Options
    Also something to watch out for in terms of 2017 repeated is any more seats becoming marginals
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Andy_JS said:

Vale of Clwyd is actually tied
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I think it's on the polling data they have, but I'm not sure.
    Thanks
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/thejeremyvine/status/1204717963993063424

The view of Johnson going into the polling booth is coward
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    In the past few days Corbyn's "Crystal Ball" is telling him to visit constituencies that will go Labour with a 3% swing from the Conservatives.

Since his magic crystal ball seems to be linked to a future MRP that produces results similar to Focaldata and Yougov, I've tried to find out how that MRP is projecting a Labour national lead in the polls.

So I had a look inside the latest polls, it's impossible according to pollsters who have asked about a past vote for the Conservative lead to be greater than 6-7% because the Conservatives are taking too few 2017 Labour votes.
    If you take into account newer younger voters who didn't vote last time the Conservative lead could be as low as 2%.
    So that's what probably Corbyn's MRP is telling him.

Of course the above assumption of weighing and calculating by past vote was wrong in 2015 and 2017 by miles because the LD and UKIP did not split according to what pollsters said.
  • Options

Weird. I've had two Facebook ads in my timeline this morning from our local Conservative incumbent, defending his strongly pro-Brexit position.

Our (southern England) seat is 54/46 Remain/Leave but safe-as-houses Conservative. There is no point the Conservatives wasting money on Facebook advertising the day before the election... unless they're genuinely worried.

How much it would cost must depend on how tightly targeted it is. If it mentions the candidate then I assume it is only going out to those in that constituency. Perhaps it was always going to go out now to get maximum impact. Or perhaps they are worried

One thing is clear from reading reports of the long distant days of the 2015 election: the parties often have no more idea than we do as to what is happening. Ed Miliband genuinely thought he was going to by PM right up until the exit poll came out.
  • Options

Continuity May with added cowardice and jokes.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

What an idiot. I hope the tories get a comfortable majority and he ends up losing his seat.
  • Options
    Can we all agree the highlight of tomorrow is going to be Sir John Curtice
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

This is where MRP might still be a good / correct model, but YouGov end up with egg on their face, just because of the size of the Tories lead. It is clear they are bang on the level required for a majority, thus any tiny swings one way or another and then could end up with a domino effect and loads of seats all falling to one party.

It may also be true of the Exit Poll for similar reasons.
  • Options

Could be worse: he could be seen as a Marxist and an antisemite...
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

My betting view from the start has been for big Con majority. I'm sticking with that but in truth it would be best described now as pure impressionistic hunch. I await the exit poll tomorrow with genuine uncertainty and hence excitement. For my wallet, c'mon you Tories. For the country, c'mon you Hung Parliament!

I can`t ever remember an election when folk actually wanted a hung parliament.

It would put us back in the position we were in before the election was called, but with one crucial difference: no Bercow. This means that exiting with no WA on 31/1 would be very likely - or , to put it another way, how could a no WA exit on 31/1 be averted?
  • Options

Just throwing this out there - but if Jezza were to announce today that he were too ill to become PM and that even if won an overall majority he would hand over to a caretaker while a leadership election took place, how would this affect tomorrow’s result? I rather think a Labour landslide. Of course he won’t though.

The caretaker would be assumed to be McDonnell who is possibly even more toxic than Corbyn.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

That’s already priced in though and Corbyn has got more popular.

This is May all over again, strong and stable going in, weak and wobbly on the campaign trail.

• Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

I can`t ever remember an election when folk actually wanted a hung parliament.

It would put us back in the position we were in before the election was called, but with one crucial difference: no Bercow. This means that exiting with no WA on 31/1 would be very likely - or , to put in another way, how could a no WA exit on 31/1 be averted?
    If diehard Remainers get their way, they are very likely to precipitate exactly the No Deal crash-out they claim to fear most. And it will serve them right.

For the record, I voted Remain myself, but FFS I have some sense of priorities.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Also something to watch out for in terms of 2017 repeated is any more seats becoming marginals

When party coalitions shift the entire country usually becomes a marginal.
    The 1976 US Presidential election is a very good example, the whole of America became a swing state.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

If the ambition is simply to be better than Corbyn then well done the Tories, they have achieved it and will win more seats.

If the ambition is to win an election then they will probably be fine too.

If the ambition is to create a team and vision to lead the UK through the next decade then they have made a terrible start, regardless of the outcome of tomorrows vote.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

The view of some people is that he is a coward. What the media need to understand is they do not have a right to demand that politicians just turn up.
  • Options
    Something else this election might answer is if on Brexit people have changed their minds.

In such a case you’d expect a Hung Parliament.
  • Options
    Long piece in the Guardian on St Albans.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/11/tories-face-loss-of-st-albans-as-candidate-fails-to-impress-voters

The Labour candidate " Rebecca Lury – who has little name recognition even among loyal party supporters"
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103

''Bizarre commentts from Farage....''

Might the tories be able to eke an extra percentage point nationally out of BXP when push comes to shove?

plenty of these knife edge seats have a significant BXP vote.

I suspect that many BXP voters in those seats are intending to vote BXP because they are disappointed in Labour and cannot face voting Tory. Their alternative to BXP is likely to be not voting at all.

WillS.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Continuity May with added cowardice and jokes.
    Stuff like this makes me think CCHQ are very confident and just want to avoid gaffes. If their internal polling was crap he’d be taking over the airwaves
  • Options
    Amazing that we still haven’t seen any new polls today.

In terms of the rules , you’re allowed to release results for polling even on election day as long as they stopped the fieldwork by midnight tonight .

That’s what Ipsos Mori normally do , they have their final poll in the Evening Standard tomorrow morning .
This discussion has been closed.