Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters on CON & the LDs are more bullish than the MRP project

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

Nobidexx said:

RobD said:

JohnO said:

Apologies if already cited on here but latest MORI leader ratings show 8% improvement for Corbyn (-30), no change for Johnson (-14) and -1 for Swinson (-31).

Somebody ran the differential and worked out a HP is predicted on their numbers
    It is 1% different to the lead Cameron had over Miliband in 2015 when Dave won a majority.
    1% different? HP nailed on.
    Doubt it. I think they'd still have a majority on a 6.5% lead, as Cameron did despite the SNP sweeping Scotland.
    I may have been commenting sarcastically. :p
    I must admit it's become difficult to make the difference, given how many people seem to seriously believe a 7% lead would result in a hung parliament.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,008

Disney Plus — with an assist from Baby Yoda — was the No. 1 top-trending Google search in the United States for 2019, according to the internet giant.

Now that is what I call proper viral.

It is incredibly rare nowadays that something like Baby Yoda can be kept completely silent until launch.

Equally the fact the Mandalorian episodes are the length of the story without padding is a great improvement on most TV (including streaming) that is an hour plus long for the sake of it
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349
    Anorak said:

Jesus. My colleague has just written Christmas as 'exmas' and I'm torn between laughing at him and throwing a stapler at his head. Thoughts?

Why stop at the stapler?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

"I will 10/10 definitely vote"

Conservatives 89%
    Labour 75%

Remainers 83%
    Leavers 78%

Survation 5-7 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but does this mean that they reduced the labour voting in weighting thus meaning the Labour vote could actually be higher. Or have they kept it the same and the labour vote in likely to be lower than the poll?
    Pollsters normally downweight in the headline numbers (usually if you say 8/10 sure your vote countrs 80%, but some apply a cutoff below e.g. 5/10). So yes, the potential Labour vote is higher when the certainty is shown as lower. The detailed tables usually show the unadjusted figures too.
  • Options
    eek said:

Disney Plus — with an assist from Baby Yoda — was the No. 1 top-trending Google search in the United States for 2019, according to the internet giant.

It is incredibly rare nowadays that something like Baby Yoda can be kept completely silent until launch.

Equally the fact the Mandalorian episodes are the length of the story without padding is a great improvement on most TV (including streaming) that is an hour plus long for the sake of it
    The only downside for Disney, no merch for them to flog for Christmas.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
    edited December 2019

JohnO said:

Apologies if already cited on here but latest MORI leader ratings show 8% improvement for Corbyn (-30), no change for Johnson (-14) and -1 for Swinson (-31).

Blimey, this is uncannily similar to the WilliamGlenn "All roads lead to a second referendum" years
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,008

eek said:

The only downside for Disney, no merch for them to flog for Christmas.
    I'm sure season 2 will be ready in just enough time to support next years Christmas market..
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Jesus. My colleague has just written Christmas as 'exmas' and I'm torn between laughing at him and throwing a stapler at his head. Thoughts?

I'm waiting for a Radio 4 newsreader to read it as "ksmas".

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654

Anorak said:

Staple something to his head.
    Did he write "exmas" or Xmas? If it is the latter that is perfectly traditional and acceptable, as the X comes from the Greek Chi standing for Christos.
    If the former then he is a virtue-signalling but shy atheist.

• Options

Nice to see the Time Person Of The Year go to an exceptionally deserving winner.

Is it you again?
  • Options
    BluerBlueBluerBlue Posts: 521
    edited December 2019
    isam said:

JohnO said:

Blimey, this is uncannily similar to the WilliamGlenn "All roads lead to a second referendum" years
    A 16 point Ipsos leadership gap is still 4 times the lead May had on Corbyn :smile:
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

My prediction (before today's polling deluge).

The gap will be 10 points. This will mean the Cons will take a shed load more seats than the YouGov MRP says. People will then trash the MRP.

They will totally ignore that the Con majority of 50 seats is based on a series of razor thin majorities as Con leads in seats they hold is cut and they only take seats 30-50 off of labour on tiny majorities.

What's happening in Scotland tho lol

Me losing money.
  • Options

JohnO said:

It is 1% different to the lead Cameron had over Miliband in 2015 when Dave won a majority.
    2015 might have been the exception I can’t remember. The user in question will need to comment as I’m sure I’ve misunderstood
    Nope, 2015 was just like 1992.
  • Options

JohnO said:

As I have noted previously, the historical relationship between the Mori leader satisfaction data and the party vote share lead (GB) is estimated using Mori's political monitor data and these election tracker data are higher frequency and based on a slightly different question, so I am wary of simply plugging these data into the model. The political monitor data suggest a Tory lead of 8pp using net leader satisfaction and 6.5pp using only positive satisfaction - this latter relationship has better predictive power. If we did simply plug in these numbers, showing an improvement in Corbyn's ratings, then they would show a tighter race, consistent with a HP, but with the caveat noted above. Hope that is all clear!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Today's most amusing video was Stephen Lloyd (LD, Eastbourne) telling a potential voter to f**k off.

To be fair, I am sure all MPs have felt like that at some point and I don't blame them.
    I think they should do it more often. Why should they pretend that a lot of people are not King Cnuts
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    Pulpstar said:

He's always a little fringe however I think C. Murray has produced a interesting article on the constant Conservative vote share %.

There is a reporting discrepancy between the presentation of labour-leave to con/bxp and the con-urbane to lib/lab tactical voting. I think J. Harris picked up on this in one of the last 'Anywhere but Westminster'.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/12/the-largest-vote-swings-in-british-general-election-history-censored-out-by-the-bbc-and-mainstream-media/

This redistribution of the Tory vote is advantageous to their chances, loads more labour leave marginals compared to Con remain previously safe where the LDs need a massive swing to win.
    Yes, advantageous for this election. Is it the realigning of Conservative demographics in the liberal leaning south? As labour found in Scotland if you lose that dependable block of 50+ MPs you have much further to fall if the campaign goes wring. You're now reliant on influencing people who are not your base.

If the Conservative vote is no longer the affluent home counties liberal, the 30+ home owning majority, the Kensington and Chelsea set. They become dependant on a floating, emotive and unreliable voter. Not a good look for 'the party of business'.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nice to see the Time Person Of The Year go to an exceptionally deserving winner.

Baby Yoda?
    Next year - this year it's Greta Thunberg

I can understand that as it goes to the most prominent not the most deserving.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,954
    edited December 2019
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The gap will be 10 points. This will mean the Cons will take a shed load more seats than the YouGov MRP says. People will then trash the MRP.

They will totally ignore that the Con majority of 50 seats is based on a series of razor thin majorities as Con leads in seats they hold is cut and they only take seats 30-50 off of labour on tiny majorities.

Me losing money.
    Are we holding up in Inverclyde ?

Labour on 16% up there in some polls - but now a stonking MRP :s ! Who is their vote :o !?
  • Options
    Conservative vote by region:

London 36%
    Non-London south 53%
    Midlands/Wales 46%
    North 35%
    Scotland 28%

YouGov 5-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit
  • Options
    Dr Moderate reckons YG model with turnout corrected is 6 point lead. We will see tomorrow
  • Options

Dr Moderate reckons YG model with turnout corrected is 6 point lead. We will see tomorrow

The other day he was talking about the "real lead" being ~2.8%...
  • Options
    MattW said:

eek said:

Baby Yoda?
    Next year - this year it's Greta Thunberg

I can understand that as it goes to the most prominent not the most deserving.
    Mention of Greta reminds me of one of the only things to make me laugh out loud in this awful tense time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9do5DWA_hnI
  • Options
    This is from Vicky Young on the BBC website:

Speaking of losing, it's the point in the campaign where everyone is incredibly nervous. If you speak to any candidate, they all think they're going to lose at this point.

To be fair, most of them are right...
  • Options

All roads lead to 6%.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Huge late swing to the Tories!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,785
    In 2017 it took 473 results for the Tories to take the lead in the popular vote.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He's always a little fringe however I think C. Murray has produced a interesting article on the constant Conservative vote share %.

There is a reporting discrepancy between the presentation of labour-leave to con/bxp and the con-urbane to lib/lab tactical voting. I think J. Harris picked up on this in one of the last 'Anywhere but Westminster'.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/12/the-largest-vote-swings-in-british-general-election-history-censored-out-by-the-bbc-and-mainstream-media/

This redistribution of the Tory vote is advantageous to their chances, loads more labour leave marginals compared to Con remain previously safe where the LDs need a massive swing to win.
    Yes, advantageous for this election. Is it the realigning of Conservative demographics in the liberal leaning south? As labour found in Scotland if you lose that dependable block of 50+ MPs you have much further to fall if the campaign goes wring. You're now reliant on influencing people who are not your base.

If the Conservative vote is no longer the affluent home counties liberal, the 30+ home owning majority, the Kensington and Chelsea set. They become dependant on a floating, emotive and unreliable voter. Not a good look for 'the party of business'.
    Absolutely. The Tories are aligning themselves to a bored, resentful and unreliable demographic. Even if that sees them through this election it won't any other. The Tory party is dying before our eyes.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

He's a classic example of someone delving into data desperate for a specific outcome …. and thus finding it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,318
    MattW said:

Corbyn cancels going to Ashfield, not welcome in the Red Wall seats.

Or it’s in the bag...
    Ashfield is a very odd one. YouGov has it as Likely Conservative with Labour second, nine points behind, and the various odds and sods including the Ashfield Independents far behind at 10% or less. But the betting markets have the Ashfield Indies as second favourite, and at one point had them on just 2/1 (now mostly drifted out to 3/1).

I must say I'm with YouGov on this, I don't see the Ashfield Indies, who compete for the Leave vote with the Tories and with the BXP, getting very far here. I hope I'm right, because I sold them at 13 on the SPIN 25-10-0 market and so will do very nicely if they end up third or worse (and still make a profit if they end up second).
    I'll offer you £20 vs £20 on charity donations for Ashfield Indy vs Tories in Ashfield. My £20 says the Indys will take it. Void if BXP or LAB win.
    If you are right, it would be a striking illustration of the MRP’s weakness in forecasting a seat-specific swing.
  • Options

He was. Although he later corrected to 5 points which seems somewhat more credible
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited December 2019
    This could be very damaging for Labour -

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/15-ex-labour-mps-eve-000100888.html
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Me losing money.
    I decided my method of betting on this inscrutable election was to focus on Labour as the one certainty I had was that 25% was absurd. So I piled most on 200+ seats and a smaller one on 250+

Hope I don't come a cropper having said that :smiley:
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056
    MattW said:

Anorak said:

Did he write "exmas" or Xmas? If it is the latter that is perfectly traditional and acceptable, as the X comes from the Greek Chi standing for Christos.

Either that or he’s planning on shagging an old flame over the festive season.
  • Options

He was. Although he later corrected to 5 points which seems somewhat more credible
    Oops, that seems like quite a large correction.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Or it’s in the bag...
    Ashfield is a very odd one. YouGov has it as Likely Conservative with Labour second, nine points behind, and the various odds and sods including the Ashfield Independents far behind at 10% or less. But the betting markets have the Ashfield Indies as second favourite, and at one point had them on just 2/1 (now mostly drifted out to 3/1).

I must say I'm with YouGov on this, I don't see the Ashfield Indies, who compete for the Leave vote with the Tories and with the BXP, getting very far here. I hope I'm right, because I sold them at 13 on the SPIN 25-10-0 market and so will do very nicely if they end up third or worse (and still make a profit if they end up second).
    I'll offer you £20 vs £20 on charity donations for Ashfield Indy vs Tories in Ashfield. My £20 says the Indys will take it. Void if BXP or LAB win.
    If you are right, it would be a striking illustration of the MRP’s weakness in forecasting a seat-specific swing.
    MRP vastly overestimated independents (Particularly Claire Wright) in 2017.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,785

I don't think Dr Moderate is a reliable source. He bends the facts to suit his agenda.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Since it's for charity, yes, fine. We're on, if you're happy to go ahead.
    Yep. Done.
    Ashfield is your constituency iirc ?
    Might be !

I could be wrong, but the Independent took 64% of the vote across the piece at the locals to the Tory 11%. Quite startling for an Indy crowd, even with all the Lib Dem infrastructure they inherited. The last one I can remember like that was the Boston Bypass Independents.

And the Tory candidate is faceplanting so much that he has a turnip on his head. The Crick-ing cut through locally, but it happened in the car park of my polling place so very much in my bubble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Ashfield_District_Council_election

But in 2017 I had a minor bloodbath by calling the Tories wrong on spin at about 380. This is my only bet this time.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019
    Do these people all over Twitter, who are convinced pollsters are either stupid or trying to manipulate the data to spin a narrative, not know how they make their money?
  • Options
    Sporting currently has the Tories at 341 seats, i.e.a majority of 32, whereas Spreadex go 340 for a maj of 30.
    Both very close therefore to YouGov MRP's 28 seat maj.
  • Options

Sporting currently has the Tories at 341 seats, i.e.a majority of 32, whereas Spreadex go 340 for a maj of 30.

How much of that is MRP driving the market?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited December 2019
    The Labour increase over the past couple of days is mainly the result of remain voters switching from the Lib Dems to Labour https://t.co/cJBwB5Q3Sb
  • Options
    Does any0ne know what time we are expecting any polls?

There must be loads to come out
  • Options

Does any0ne know what time we are expecting any polls?

There must be loads to come out

We've already had two. You can't possibly want more already :o
  • Options

How much of that is MRP driving the market?
    More than it should! Its just one poll.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877

Andy_JS said:

I must confess I'm feeling a bit sorry for Jo Swinson. As I said before, her advisors must be really bad. It was obvious about 48 hours into the campaign that she wasn't coming across well, but they must have told her everything was fine and to carry on as before. About 3 weeks later they realised it wasn't working out as they'd hoped.

It is odd. Admittedly the transition from a relatively minor figure without much front-line experience to becoming party leader, especially at such a crucial time, wouldn't be easy for anyone, but the LibDems have got plenty of people with a lot of experience, and you'd have thought they'd have been able to steer her away from some of the rookie errors she's made.

Perhaps they tried but she didn't listen?
    I'll put something up about this in much more detail once tomorrow is over and life returns to normal in the New Year.

Briefly, the LDs always need to be distinctive in some way from the two main parties in order to cut through. One of the hopes for Jo was she would be Britain's Jacinda Ardern but at the very least she would be a contrast to Johnson and Corbyn and had we chosen Ed Davey all three parties would have been led by white, male MPs representing London seats.

She was one part of the drive to be distinctive - the other was the message and as I argued on Monday however you turn it or phrase it the message runs into the democratic legitimacy of June 2016 and though many LDs passionately believe leaving the EU is wrong (I believe the way we are going about it is wrong) the fact is LEAVE won the referendum, the LDs need to accept that and move on making the argument it is in the UK's interest to maintain a close and harmonious economic and trading relationship with the EU.

You can't have a democratic party arguing for the negation of democracy - that's why I've not campaigned or worked for the Party this time. Once we leave the EU, the LDs can argue the proposition to rejoin - fine, no problem there - but we have to enact June 2016 however much we may think it wrong or misguided.

In a stroke, the LDs lost any chance of connecting with the LEAVE vote or with those who, even though they might consider the vote wrong, believe it is in the interests if democracy the will of the people as expressed in June 2016 be carried forward.

I suspect there will be ample pickings from the Conservative table as Johnson blunders his way through the early 2020s and the departure from the EU whether by crashing out this time next year or via some form of Deal in 2021 or later.
  • Options
    Guido

EXCLUSIVE Tory Activist Attacked with Acid in Barnet https://t.co/caW9vEdXo9 https://t.co/Q1LfpP03ZH
  • Options

London 36%
    Non-London south 53%
    Midlands/Wales 46%
    North 35%
    Scotland 28%

YouGov 5-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit

It always seems a bit daft (or lazy) to me when Wales gets lumped in with the Midlands. I've lived most of my life in the East Midlands and I went to university in Wales... they're not exactly the same, to say the least.
  • Options

Guido

EXCLUSIVE Tory Activist Attacked with Acid in Barnet https://t.co/caW9vEdXo9 https://t.co/Q1LfpP03ZH

Lets for f##k sake hope it isn't true.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848

Guido

Oh no!
  • Options

Guido

Lets for f##k sake hope it isn't true.
    Well, was it Laura K reporting?
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely. The Tories are aligning themselves to a bored, resentful and unreliable demographic. Even if that sees them through this election it won't any other. The Tory party is dying before our eyes.
    Once Brexit is done, parties will realign and Tory base will come home. Not so sure about Labour Midlands/North if momentum keeps stranglehold of party
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Zadrozny defo has a personal vote, and so do Ashfield Independents. I'd say it was between them and the blue team.

London 36%
    Non-London south 53%
    Midlands/Wales 46%
    North 35%
    Scotland 28%

YouGov 5-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit

It always seems a bit daft (or lazy) to me when Wales gets lumped in with the Midlands. I've lived most of my life in the East Midlands and I went to university in Wales... they're not exactly the same, to say the least.
    "Non London south" is staggeringly large in terms of population too if they're including everywhere from Norfolk to Penzance.
    London and Scotland are minnows in that pool of 5 fish.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    That sounds terrible, if true.

The campaign is pretty much over now, I think. Just waiting to see what tonight's avalanche of polls will show.
  • Options
    Stockton South Constituency Voting Intention:

CON: 46% (+1)
    LAB: 43% (-5)
    BXP: 7% (+7)
    LDM: 3% (+2)

Via @Survation, 9 Dec.
    Changes w/ GE2017.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Survation Stockton S, Con+3. YG MRP had it tied.
  • Options

Via @Survation, 9 Dec.
    Changes w/ GE2017.

YouGov had it 45/45.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Was the before or after the turnout correction? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174

The Labour increase over the past couple of days is mainly the result of remain voters switching from the Lib Dems to Labour https://t.co/cJBwB5Q3Sb

Yep ... waiting to see which horse to back and trying to prevent splitting the Remain vote. Now's the time to hold your nose and vote for the least worst option depending on your priority i.e. Leave / Remain versus Left / Right.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    Andrew said:

Do we know what the first MRP said?
  • Options

Their hope for a Brexit reversal making them blind to antisemitism and the rest. Otherwise you have to almost admire it, they are risking their pension pots, mortgages and entire financial well-being.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Zadrozny defo has a personal vote, and so do Ashfield Independents. I'd say it was between them and the blue team.

London 36%
    Non-London south 53%
    Midlands/Wales 46%
    North 35%
    Scotland 28%

YouGov 5-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit

"Non London south" is staggeringly large in terms of population too if they're including everywhere from Norfolk to Penzance.
    Yes, but we can all imagine the outrage if either London or Scotland were to get lumped in with other regions. LOL
  • Options

London 36%
    Non-London south 53%
    Midlands/Wales 46%
    North 35%
    Scotland 28%

YouGov 5-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit

Yep. The only excuse for doing that is if it is to highlight contrasts between zones bigger than regions.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Or it’s in the bag...

It really is the weirdest contest, though, with the Ashfield Indy candidate being a former LibDem Leaver who was charged with 24 historic child sex abuse charges just before the last election, charges which were dropped on the morning of his trial, and who subsequently led the Ashfield Indys to take over the local council. Meanwhile the Tory candidate is an ex-miner and former supporter of Scargill, and he previously ran the Labour constituency office (another of the ex-Labour staff now works for the Indy). He's now under investigation by the Tories for anti-Semitism and has made some, err, other controversial remarks. There's also the BXP candidate who used to edit Loaded.

Good luck to the YouGov nerds sticking that lot into their MRP!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383

That sounds terrible, if true.

The campaign is pretty much over now, I think. Just waiting to see what tonight's avalanche of polls will show.

Yes nothing will change anything now, it is just a matter of waiting for tomorrow 10pm.
  • Options

Their hope for a Brexit reversal making them blind to antisemitism and the rest. Otherwise you have to almost admire it, they are risking their pension pots, mortgages and entire financial well-being.
    More than that ... the fools will engineer exactly the perfect No Deal storm they wish to avoid. Utterly braindead.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited December 2019

Anorak said:

you shouldn't throw things at jesus.
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Why stop at the stapler?
    Staple his head to the door. Then set fire to his trousers. He deserves nothing less.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

London 36%
    Non-London south 53%
    Midlands/Wales 46%
    North 35%
    Scotland 28%

YouGov 5-6 Dec
    #GE2019 #Brexit

Yes, but we can all imagine the outrage if either London or Scotland were to get lumped in with other regions. LOL
    They're overpolled for their importance to the main Con/Lab battle. We've lacked broad "North", "Midlands", SW and SE polling this election.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Pulpstar said:

The Tory party has been dying ever since it was founded, just like test cricket in England.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

Andrew said:

Do we know what the first MRP said?
    cons 47% lab 41% (27th nov)
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited December 2019
    Henrietta said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

My betting view from the start has been for big Con majority. I'm sticking with that but in truth it would be best described now as pure impressionistic hunch. I await the exit poll tomorrow with genuine uncertainty and hence excitement. For my wallet, c'mon you Tories. For the country, c'mon you Hung Parliament!

I can`t ever remember an election when folk actually wanted a hung parliament.

It would put us back in the position we were in before the election was called, but with one crucial difference: no Bercow. This means that exiting with no WA on 31/1 would be very likely - or , to put it another way, how could a no WA exit on 31/1 be averted?
    Good question. If the following conditions all held

* the government wanted a crashout on 31 Jan
    * a majority of MPs wanted to stop that
    * the Speaker refused to allow the parliamentary means needed by said majority to take command of the order paper
    * it was clear that an effort to replace said Speaker would be unsuccessful

then there would remain the option of a VONC in the government under the FTPA
    ...and if the prime minister refused to resign, attempting to force a GE which would be too late, then
    ...it gets interesting
    ...and I wouldn't fancy the monarchy's chances...
    Yes, I accept all of that - and believe that VONC is all that will be open to remainer mps - but the GE wouldn`t be until AFTER 31/1. So we would have already left. PM wouldn`t "force a GE which would be too late", rather it would be impossible for there to be a GE in time.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    On the topic of that Stockton South there's an effort going on today to shift that BXP 7%
  • Options
    I know activists/deliverers in all 3 main parties - the news from Barnet is hideous if true.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Guido

If this is true, it is a criminal act that is unacceptable and the culprits should be punished with the full force of the law. However, until it is verified I would remain skeptical because of the source. If it turns out to be another of Guido's scheming tactics that is also outrageous.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    MattW said:

Anorak said:

He wrote "exmas". Five letters. Xmas would have been absolutely fine.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Via @Survation, 9 Dec.
    Changes GE2017.

YouGov had it 45/45.
    I have it 49/45 to Con
  • Options
    NEW: @MattSingh_'s writeup of our voting intention poll for Bloomberg is now online. Full figures and changes from 2017:

CON 43 (-1)
    LAB 33 (-8)
    LD 12 (+4)
    SNP 4 (+1)
    PC 1 (=)
    BXP 3 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)

Fieldwork 8th-10th Dec
    N=1,009
    #GE2019
    https://t.co/bIl46gbVvN
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

Winner. Four Scrabble letters.
    kerchunk X
    kerchunk M
    kerchunk A
    kerchunk S
  • Options

NEW: @MattSingh_'s writeup of our voting intention poll for Bloomberg is now online. Full figures and changes from 2017:

CON 43 (-1)
    LAB 33 (-8)
    LD 12 (+4)
    SNP 4 (+1)
    PC 1 (=)
    BXP 3 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)

Fieldwork 8th-10th Dec
    N=1,009
    #GE2019

Who did the poll? Or is it just a poll of polls?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1204801047794987008

So sounds like somebody has been "milkshaked" with something.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:

MattW said:

Or it’s in the bag...
    It really is the weirdest contest, though, with the Ashfield Indy candidate being a former LibDem Leaver who was charged with 24 historic child sex abuse charges just before the last election, charges which were dropped on the morning of his trial, and who subsequently led the Ashfield Indys to take over the local council. Meanwhile the Tory candidate is an ex-miner and former supporter of Scargill, and he previously ran the Labour constituency office (another of the ex-Labour staff now works for the Indy). He's now under investigation by the Tories for anti-Semitism and has made some, err, other controversial remarks. There's also the BXP candidate who used to edit Loaded.

Good luck to the YouGov nerds sticking that lot into their MRP!
    LOL - it's brilliant, isn't it.

My cleaner this morning says she thinks Zadrozzle has it, or as some people locally know him "the one with the funny name".

I think the Tory candidate is suffering from a bit of the Swinson syndrome - a very popular, bluff local Councillor for Labour, possibly f*cked over by the local party (they have done it to others including a former Council Leader) but being too personal afterwards, suddenly put on a stage bigger than they are used to. I did not know that he was a former Scargillite.

The bit about the sex abuse charges is I think a rumour believed to have been generated by the BNP ten years earlier which was warmed over by person or persons unknown weeks before the 2015 election and hit the local papers. In my view the most damaged party by all that are the Notts Constabulary.

I think we want one of those verbatim plays about it.

Probably a very good call by Gloria to withdraw with dignity and reputation intact.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I am sure Matt can rise above such a silly headline.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,798
    FF43 said:

Can now log back into Vanilla again after a gap of several weeks. My takes on the election:

1. The Johnson strategy revealed in August of embracing and exterminating the Brexit Party will pay off. Maybe handsomely; maybe not. But it will get him over the majority line.
    2. "The Conservative Party is politically and morally bankrupt and led by an out-and-out fraud, but at least he's not Corbyn". That notion has little salience. People who vote Conservative and perfectly OK with the party and its leader. Not very many are Remainers.
    3. People are turning against Brexit, but in a way that benefits the Tories and harms the Lib Dems. Rather than saying this is a mess (as most people think it is) let's not go there, they don't want to talk about it or engage with the problem. The Tories cover the topic in three words - get Brexit done - so they get the nod.
    4. YouGov's MRP poll confirms what I suspect about Scotland: there will be fewer Tory MPs in Scotland and more Labour ones than people think. That's because the main movement of floating voters is between the Conservatives and the SNP. Those voters aren't presumably massive unionists. Also any collapse in the Labour voteshare in Scotland harms rather than benefits the Tories. The collapsed votes will go to the SNP who could then outvote the Tories in the constituencies they hold.
    AIUI, the YouGov MRP poll assumes a similar demographic profile to past (2017) elections, and ignores self-reported intention to vote. If the same applies to party turnout and some of the missing SNP vote from 2015 returns, this could significantly affect the tight Scottish contests.
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174

Yes, as mentioned earlier, presumably because they don't believe Corby's lot are electable or, if they were to be, that they can be controlled ... not a risk I would ever want to take no matter how strongly I felt about Leave / Remain. I just can't get my head round it ...
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

Pulpstar said:

Once Brexit is done, parties will realign and Tory base will come home. Not so sure about Labour Midlands/North if momentum keeps stranglehold of party
    Brexit will not "be done" for a generation. We might have left the EU, but it will not be "done". That slogan sums up Johnson. It is essentially a lie to satisfy the gullible.
  • Options

CON 43 (-1)
    LAB 33 (-8)
    LD 12 (+4)
    SNP 4 (+1)
    PC 1 (=)
    BXP 3 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)

Fieldwork 8th-10th Dec
    N=1,009
    #GE2019

Can't be a poll of polls given the fieldwork date and sample size.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    A Tory activist was sprayed with perfume in today leaving terrified colleagues fearing they had been attacked with acid.

Conservative Central Office confirmed the incident in Chipping Barnet to MailOnline and said reports the material was acid were incorrect.

The activist is not thought to be badly injured.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7781605/Tory-activist-sprayed-perfume-Barnet-raising-fears-acid-attack.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

Thank f##k for that.
  • Options
    That seat from Survation has had Lib Dem candidate recommend Labour today
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited December 2019

Via @Survation, 9 Dec.
    Changes w/ GE2017.

One of my early bets. Looking for Lab held seats where Leave won and the Brexit vote in MRP1 was sizeable and higher than the gap between Lab and Con. Not a sophisticated strategy but hopefully reasonably successful.

• Options

On the topic of that Stockton South there's an effort going on today to shift that BXP 7%

Presumably there are 2 efforts, no?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1204801047794987008

So sounds like somebody has been "milkshaked" with something.

So Guido was sort of almost right.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    Chameleon said:

Pulpstar said:

The Tory party has been dying ever since it was founded, just like test cricket in England.
    I would argue its shifting to an 'American style' Republican-esque party. Tying the angry and disenfranchised to it's self.
  • Options
    Guido now saying it wasn’t acid
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Pulpstar said:

Precisely. The whole philosophy of conservatism is that one day the forces of chaos and entropy and barbarism will triumph to drag us all down into the mire - but not today! :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

CON 43 (-1)
    LAB 33 (-8)
    LD 12 (+4)
    SNP 4 (+1)
    PC 1 (=)
    BXP 3 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)

Fieldwork 8th-10th Dec
    N=1,009
    #GE2019

Sorry yes you are right. Again, it all comes down to what is the real Labour figure. Is it 32-33, or is it 35-36.

"Number Cruncher poll (exclusive to Bloomberg)" - Who the hell are Number Cruncher?

Was "across the period of Sunday through Tuesday", so peak photo-gate.
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 43 (+16)
    LAB: 33 (+2)
    LDM: 12 (-3)
    BXP: 3 (-11)
    GRN: 3 (-1)

Via @NCPoliticsUK, 8-10 Dec.
    Changes w/ 18-21 May (!).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

CON 43 (-1)
    LAB 33 (-8)
    LD 12 (+4)
    SNP 4 (+1)
    PC 1 (=)
    BXP 3 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)

Fieldwork 8th-10th Dec
    N=1,009
    #GE2019

Exclusive poll for Bloomberg it says
  • Options

RobD said:

CON 43 (-1)
    LAB 33 (-8)
    LD 12 (+4)
    SNP 4 (+1)
    PC 1 (=)
    BXP 3 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)

Fieldwork 8th-10th Dec
    N=1,009
    #GE2019

Sorry yes you are right. Again, it all comes down to what is the real Labour figure. Is it 32-33, or is it 35-36.

"Number Cruncher poll (exclusive to Bloomberg)" - Who the hell are Number Cruncher?

Was "across the period of Sunday through Tuesday", so peak photo-gate.
    Matt Sing, I thought he was a big thing in poll analysis?
This discussion has been closed.