Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters on CON & the LDs are more bullish than the MRP project

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

I think it’s really hard being BBC political editor. I used to slag off both Andrew Marr (up Blair’s arse) and Nick Robinson (toenails Robinson).

The fact is that as ‘establishment’ political journalists they get privileged information first from No.10 and other Government sources first as they always want to make BBC headline news. And the political editor has to make very quick decisions on that.

So they often end up breaking big news first (that sometimes isn’t the full picture) and by necessity end up having close relationships with Government.

The answer is to cut the BBC free of its licence fee mooring.

They might then eventually learn to find perspective.

Yes they may have to tell the truth rather than just be state propaganda unit
    Like the Daily Mail?

I`m getting fed up with BBC bashing. A fine British institution and cracking value for money. I`d pay the annual fee for R4 alone. Same again for The Apprentice and Dragon`s Den. Thrice the fee for Peaky Blinders.
    Good for you, go on then.

Personally I don't care for the BBC but do watch other live TV and am forced at the penalty of prison to pay for the BBC even if I want to watch other channels. As for radio, plenty of stations exist with commercials. If you want to pay for R4 or listen to ads to pay for it good for you but why should I be taxed to support your interests?
    Because it`s a public utility, like the NHS, libraries, roads and the royal family?
    It's nothing like the NHS, or roads or libraries.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    MattW said:

Chris said:
    I think it will be lack of BBC backbone before the mob if she is. I am not aware of any law she has broken.

Anyone?
    https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1204790546675437573
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

Since I remember someone here asking about interest rates a couple of days ago:
    https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1204838459975880704
    Interest rates will never rise again, as long as inflation does not pickup.

Blimey, remember the days when we all thought getting inflation below 10% was good going?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    MrEd said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

As I have repeatedly said, a Conservative majority of at least 80 and probably between 1983 and 1987.

I thank you all. And thank goodness there's only a day and a half before you recognise my brilliance.

I recognise it now sir, but I think you'll still be very wrong.
    I am with RCS.

I think a lot of the country does not want a further 5 years of weak governments and fudge.

They just want things to be done and Brexit over with and that means voting Tory.
    LOL, are you a comedian to trade
    A very bad one, I know.

How many seats do you think the SNP will win?
    Well, I did think about 46 , but if you believe whats on here the Tories are surging and they are going to get clobbered. I still think 44-46 , but may be kidding myself.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

ydoethur said:
    Oh the irony.

The standard repeats her claim thereby advising all their readership and online as well
    How does that work?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

malcolmg said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

As I have repeatedly said, a Conservative majority of at least 80 and probably between 1983 and 1987.

I thank you all. And thank goodness there's only a day and a half before you recognise my brilliance.

I recognise it now sir, but I think you'll still be very wrong.
    I am with RCS.

I think a lot of the country does not want a further 5 years of weak governments and fudge.

They just want things to be done and Brexit over with and that means voting Tory.
    LOL, are you a comedian to trade
    A very bad one, I know.

How many seats do you think the SNP will win?
    Well, I did think about 46 , but if you believe whats on here the Tories are surging and they are going to get clobbered. I still think 44-46 , but may be kidding myself.
    Has somebody been sounding the KLAXON? You seem tetchy.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Panelbase in . 9 point lead for the Tories.

.9 point lead! That's really tight! :wink:
    What was Panelbases last poll?
  • Options

The Tory leads in eve of polling polls in GE17 were:

8%, 13%, 1%, 12%, 7%, 10%, -2%, 8%, and 5%. Average 6.9%.

Very erratic compared to the last 24 hours of polls

We are not going to see 1% and -2% tonight surely and ironically leaves 9% if excluded
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

PJH said:

Is it me, or is this the quietest election campaign for a long time?

I've seen almost no evidence of electioneering wherever I've been, Locally here in the safe seat of Romford, the Tories have never got out their stakeboards, as in previous years, and have done just the one leaflet delivery. Clearly they thought it was such a good leaflet that I got it again in the post to make sure I read it. I also had a letter before my postal vote arrived, and what looked like their canvas calling card, put through the letter box without calling (I was in). Presumably the local party was told to get down to Rainham and Dagenham. I had Labour, Green and LD addresses in the post only in the last few days. A couple of times I've seen Tory and Labour activists leafletting at the station, but less often than in previous elections.

Travelling around, nearby I have also seen no Tory posters at all in either Upminster & Hornchurch or Brentwood & Ongar, but I have seen a couple of LD diamonds in the latter. In central London I've seen a few window posters (mostly LD) in Westminster and a scattering of LD and Labour in other Islington/Camden/Lambeth/Southwark seats.

Presumably this points to very targeted activity in battleground seats, but it does leave a feeling that all parties are taking the electorate for granted, even more than ever.

It's all going on in the marginals. I live in the Canterbury constituency and had a deluge of leaflets from Tories and Labour and lots of campaigners and street stalls for Rosie Duffield. And was in Eastbourne today and, well, it's pretty lively there as well! (Including the incumbent telling a voter to "fuck off" when asked what he stands for...)
    I'd seriously consider voting or the latter incumbent
    He did a voice to camera video apology and sent it to the local paper:

https://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/politics/stephen-lloyd-apologises-over-video-of-him-swearing-at-constituent-1-9171222
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    I reckon these pollsters couldn't be bothered to re-poll and are just reposting their previous result!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The 9 point leads for the Tories in some polls keep the interest going for tomorrow .

It could still end up a landslide or hung parliament .
  • Options

Another case of violence against a canvasser:

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1204826738011910149?s=21

This violence is just wrong on so many levels and across politics
    What a sick git, should be locked away for a few years
  • Options
    Weather's going to be foul across much of the country tomorrow. Isn't it about time we allowed on-line voting?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Henrietta said:

The words "that are in" mean that the information must have come from the receiving centres. It can't have come from people who say they voted postally. Even if it did come from voters, it is unlawful to publish "any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted".

That specifically refers to exit polls though. Even if it didn't, the above wording alone hasn't been broken.
  • Options
    Is it that after 6 weeks of GE campaign that the lead is actually exactly as we started? Tories gained initially as BXP got squeezed, Labour then narrowed the lead by squeezing LD.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

HaroldO said:

eek said:

Has @bbclaurak broken the law by telling 2 million viewers the postal votes are grim for Labour in huge swathes of the country?

Yes because the votes should not have been seen.

Mind you does it get Labour votes out tomorrow and / or keep Tory "voters" from voting
    Pretty sure party officials watch the opening and counting of postal votes.
    If they do they should be stopped. I think postal voting should be stopped except in extreme or exceptional cases.
    Couldn'y it be argued that postal voting a kind of infringement of the principle of a secret ballot?
    That is why the law is that papers must be kept face down. The purpose of the verification is to confirm that the identity and signatures of the postal voter tally up with their application, and that the paper returned is the one that was sent, and clearly if you catch a glimpse of the ballot paper then that person’s vote isn’t secret. Any responsible ERO (and most are very responsible) should do what he or she can to make sure papers are kept face down. So as a scrutineer your only chance is to catch a glimpse of a paper as it is being taken out of the envelope. Most people fold their papers over with the printed side inside, but occasionally someone folds it the other way so you might see the odd one, if you get a council staff member who is a little clumsy or slow. But they are supposed to stop the scrutineers seeing the face of the ballot papers, and most do.
    Am sure that Antifrank was one of several posters (some of whom are still here) who remember Kerry McCarthy tweeting postal vote totals in 2010. She was very lucky to get off with a caution.
    Davidson did it at Scottish referendum as well
  • Options
    Tories coming in a bit on betfair...1.38 from 1.44 or 1.45 earlier
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Weather's going to be foul across much of the country tomorrow. Isn't it about time we allowed on-line voting?

Lol. No.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

I think it’s really hard being BBC political editor. I used to slag off both Andrew Marr (up Blair’s arse) and Nick Robinson (toenails Robinson).

The fact is that as ‘establishment’ political journalists they get privileged information first from No.10 and other Government sources first as they always want to make BBC headline news. And the political editor has to make very quick decisions on that.

So they often end up breaking big news first (that sometimes isn’t the full picture) and by necessity end up having close relationships with Government.

The answer is to cut the BBC free of its licence fee mooring.

They might then eventually learn to find perspective.

Yes they may have to tell the truth rather than just be state propaganda unit
    Like the Daily Mail?

I`m getting fed up with BBC bashing. A fine British institution and cracking value for money. I`d pay the annual fee for R4 alone. Same again for The Apprentice and Dragon`s Den. Thrice the fee for Peaky Blinders.
    Tonight is interview night?
    Indeed - my favourite episode

The one episode where you feel sorry for the candidates, since you know that the real competition is between the interviewers to see who can be the most aggressive/outrageous in order to get their clip into the show.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I have a question...Do we know...

Is it better or no difference in terms of seats for Tories to win by 9, but it is say 41/32 vs 45/36 ?

The difference between the two can only come from minor parties, whose votes are spread very unevenly, so it won’t be a uniform swing (and no one is expecting UNS to ‘work’ this time anyway, although doubtless we will have to endure a night of Jeremy Vine pretending that it does). 8% coming from or going to the minor parties (the lion’s share of such would have to be the LibDems) could make a big difference, depending on where it falls. Since the LibDems are in contention mostly in Tory facing seats, the higher their vote, the worse for the Tories, and therefore of your two choices the Tories are better off with 45/36. In Scotland it could also mean they save most of their seats from the SNP, following the same logic.

Edit/ the other - possibly more important - factor is of course how the 4% differences for Tory and Labour fall in relation to each other, since these are very unlikely to be uniform. But working out who gains and loses in advance is impossible without just guessing at the assumptions you’d need to make.
    Yes and my granny could have been my grandpa if only ********
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

The 9 point leads for the Tories in some polls keep the interest going for tomorrow .

I think Tories are 1-2% down where they need to be to be confident. They need Flat Cap Fred to come out for them tomorrow for the majority.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

HaroldO said:

eek said:

Has @bbclaurak broken the law by telling 2 million viewers the postal votes are grim for Labour in huge swathes of the country?

Mind you does it get Labour votes out tomorrow and / or keep Tory "voters" from voting
    If they do they should be stopped. I think postal voting should be stopped except in extreme or exceptional cases.
    Couldn'y it be argued that postal voting a kind of infringement of the principle of a secret ballot?
    That is why the law is that papers must be kept face down. The purpose of the verification is to confirm that the identity and signatures of the postal voter tally up with their application, and that the paper returned is the one that was sent, and clearly if you catch a glimpse of the ballot paper then that person’s vote isn’t secret. Any responsible ERO (and most are very responsible) should do what he or she can to make sure papers are kept face down. So as a scrutineer your only chance is to catch a glimpse of a paper as it is being taken out of the envelope. Most people fold their papers over with the printed side inside, but occasionally someone folds it the other way so you might see the odd one, if you get a council staff member who is a little clumsy or slow. But they are supposed to stop the scrutineers seeing the face of the ballot papers, and most do.
    Am sure that Antifrank was one of several posters (some of whom are still here) who remember Kerry McCarthy tweeting postal vote totals in 2010. She was very lucky to get off with a caution.
    I remember the 2010 kerfuffle very well. The BBC posted McCarthy's comments including the numbers and then they got posted on here. Then there was a hectic half an hour while everyone (including the BBC) started deleting any reference to them whatsoever.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Would you believe my broadband has just died and can't be repaired until Friday. So just the poxy mobile phone until a minihub arrives by courier tomorrow, when I will almost certainly be out. On election eve. How unlucky is that.

Can you access the WiFi of a neighbour? Ask for their WiFi password?
    access a BT hotspot and pay for a days coverage, about a fiver
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Shall we discuss our favorite Christmas movie rather than this paranoid politics shit?
  • Options
    BXP share where they’re standing = 8%

Does that seem very high?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Nothing has changed...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    nichomar said:

Shall we discuss our favorite Christmas movie rather than this paranoid politics shit?

There is no discussion....“Yippee-ki-yay.”
  • Options
    nico67 said:

So basically, we don’t have a clue what the result will be?
  • Options
    saddened said:

What’s wrong with these people? Old boy actually out and about doing his small part for democracy gets smacked in the mouth.
    Genuinely defies comprehension.

People have pent up frustration about politics or particular policies and when the canvasser arrives out of the blue they can get years’ worth of anger focused on them. A guy tried to hit me once and when I stepped backwards proceeded to shove me off his driveway. Technically it’s an assault but in a middle of an election what candidate wants to set the police on one of their own electors, knowing it will turn into a “my word, his word” scenario?
  • Options

BXP share where they’re standing = 8%

Does that seem very high?

Yes- have to think they wont some of those voters coming out. Just a totally unscientific guess
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Lol. No.
    Agree. If you can't be bothered, you can't vote.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

This is where the lack of Tory ground game is a bit of an issue. They need to be getting all those wavering voters out to the polling stations, but won't have much man power.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I think Tories are 1-2% down where they need to be to be confident. They need Flat Cap Fred to come out for them tomorrow for the majority.
    We really need the lead of all the posts since yougov last night but it looks like 9% + average.

I am not sure the average at this time in 2017
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899

No. If you cant get to the thousands of easily accessible obviously labeled polling stations around the country where they will give you privacy to vote as you see fit and a pencil to mak your mark, then just contact the council and they will arrange for a postal vote for you in future.

• Options
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Panelbase in . 9 point lead for the Tories.

.9 point lead! That's really tight! :wink:
    What was Panelbases last poll?
    You seem to be missing the 'point' of my post :smile:
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

One has to wonder about these anecdotes. Knocked fillings out?! Get a new dentist.
    Yeah, that's right. Should've gone private so that if he gets hit by a violent tosser, at least his fillings would have stayed in!
    I wasn`t being facetious about the old chap - merely doubting the truth of the anecdote (probably a journo exaggerating the story).
    Many people have had teeth knocked out by punches
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    This thread has gone to hide in a fridge.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

A 9 point lead should deliver a working majority except in the scenario where there is a significantly higher than usual level of tactical voting among the opposing parties.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    At this point I’d put the chance of a landslide higher than a hung parliament .

The reason being we’re not seeing the odd poll showing a much narrower gap , so for a hung parliament you’d need all the pollsters so far who’ve reported to be wrong .

We still have a few polls to go tonight so unless one of those turns up a shock I think then it’s looking good for the Tories .

• Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Ah, I think this explains a text i received not long ago from a corbynista relative asking me how postal votes are counted.
    They aren’t, until tomorrow night
    Just opened and shown to Tories and BBC journalists
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Would you believe my broadband has just died and can't be repaired until Friday. So just the poxy mobile phone until a minihub arrives by courier tomorrow, when I will almost certainly be out. On election eve. How unlucky is that.

I am the local BT hotspot
  • Options
    I tell you what, if it rains here tonight it’s going to be bloody dangerous tomorrow. I left school at 5 and I had to de-ice the car.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

It'll be free at the next election whenever PM Corbyn decides to call it! :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is it possible to be addicted to polls?

And is there any known cure?

Have a life
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nico67 said:

If it seriously comes down to that and I very much doubt it and it’s raining then everything is in the air. Turnout may yet prove to be critical.
  • Options

Lol. No.
    Agree. If you can't be bothered, you can't vote.
    So no postal votes then?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I feel like the result of a hung parliament with similar numbers to now is wrong in this, and there's a bigger range of options, with 20-40 majority being tight still, and above that being dominant.https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1204777945023361024

“Mandate for a hard Brexit” - hardly seeing as they want a Canada style trade deal.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    New thread.
  • Options
    Polls are clustering - are the pollsters getting better or more timid ?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It's my watch Christmas night out at the weekend. Some bright spark has decided it's going to be Christmas jumpers as the dress code. I've managed to get an authentic "Now I have a machine gun.." grey sweatshirt, with realistic bullet holes.
    Now that's a proper Chrimbo jumper!
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

kle4 said:

BluerBlue said:
    (Former) Conservative mantra?
    We've modernised - we're now 100% in favour of change, as long as it's backwards... :wink:
    'Tomorrow is a new day - the future lies ahead!'
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9yGi5fOt6Q
    HYFUD and his mob preparing to invade Scotland
  • Options

Is it that after 6 weeks of GE campaign that the lead is actually exactly as we started? Tories gained initially as BXP got squeezed, Labour then narrowed the lead by squeezing LD.

That’s about the long and short of it. On the day it may be that the Lib Dem vote is firmer than that Brexit vote, with a last minute change in the polling booth to the best prospect to get Brexit done.

• Options
    Andrew said:

Henrietta said:

The words "that are in" mean that the information must have come from the receiving centres. It can't have come from people who say they voted postally. Even if it did come from voters, it is unlawful to publish "any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted".

That specifically refers to exit polls though. Even if it didn't, the above wording alone hasn't been broken.
    Agreed, she didn't suggest the information came from voters. I think she's safe from prosecution under s66A. It must have come from the receiving centres. Information about votes "that are in" only comes into existence once they're in.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    IanB2 said:

There are some weird people about. As any canvasser knows.

One of my favourites was during my first successful local election. The big heraldic shields attached to the front gate should have been a warning, but anyhow the guy invited me straight in (another warning) and said there was something I could help him with (third warning). He was having trouble with the council because he had registered his house as a monastery with himself as the only monk, and was trying to persuade the council that as a religious institution his house was exempt from council tax. The council was having none of it and I had to wade through all the lengthy correspondence. Once we’d finished that I thought I could make an escape but then he produced another voluminous file full of 1970s press cuttings that apparently proved that his brother had been killed by the secret service who had made it look like a car accident.

That was one house that never got another canvass.

Great story! I had a chap who believed that MI5 had bugged his housekey, so they always knew when he was out - he detected subtle changes to his things when he came back - in particular his stamp collection had been moved several inches... (I said that was worrying but hard to take action on a single report - I would watch out for similar incidents to see if there was a pattern)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Chris said:
    I think it will be lack of BBC backbone before the mob if she is. I am not aware of any law she has broken.

Anyone?
    https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1204790546675437573
    May be an offence

So the body responsible for enforcing the law do not know either !
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

IanB2 said:

There are some weird people about. As any canvasser knows.

One of my favourites was during my first successful local election. The big heraldic shields attached to the front gate should have been a warning, but anyhow the guy invited me straight in (another warning) and said there was something I could help him with (third warning). He was having trouble with the council because he had registered his house as a monastery with himself as the only monk, and was trying to persuade the council that as a religious institution his house was exempt from council tax. The council was having none of it and I had to wade through all the lengthy correspondence. Once we’d finished that I thought I could make an escape but then he produced another voluminous file full of 1970s press cuttings that apparently proved that his brother had been killed by the secret service who had made it look like a car accident.

That was one house that never got another canvass.

Great story! I had a chap who believed that MI5 had bugged his housekey, so they always knew when he was out - he detected subtle changes to his things when he came back - in particular his stamp collection had been moved several inches... (I said that was worrying but hard to take action on a single report - I would watch out for similar incidents to see if there was a pattern)
    I had someone who sincerely thought Margaret Thatcher was Labour.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I've added the electorate data (from 519 constituencies so far) to the candidates spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K-ABf5qs4zTFzHv6koLY0mEJyGi2VGWF4sWswDmJquk/edit#gid=0

Where do you get these figures from?

• Options
    TudorRose said:

malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

IanB2 said:

HaroldO said:

eek said:

I remember the 2010 kerfuffle very well. The BBC posted McCarthy's comments including the numbers and then they got posted on here. Then there was a hectic half an hour while everyone (including the BBC) started deleting any reference to them whatsoever.
    The figures Kerry McCarthy published suggest that her sample (319 votes) was about 3% of the postal votes received in Bristol East in 2010 - and she said it was a sample only of the "First PVs opened", so they must have been looking at a minimum of 1 in 30. If "first" means "the first fifth" (just taking that figure out of a hat), then they would have been looking at 1 in 6.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Ha ha momentum activists have allegedly been placing bets on Labour majority to give a false impression

Spending their daddies money again?
    1,000 was mentioned - would that change much?
    I know a pro gambler who is a momentum activist. He could definitely spin a tale
  • Options
    Have we seen a 6 pointer?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

lol

"People just don't like Corbyn. Not for any particular reason. They just don't like him".

That's because Corbyn is a c*nt. You don't need a reason. He IS the reason. The "people" are right, intuiitively.
This discussion has been closed.