Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to Think the Unthinkable?

Comments

• Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

alb1on said:

Prisons are too full and too expensive. Personally, I would immediately move all prisons out of London, to other parts of the UK where they can be of more benefit to struggling communities. I would build new prisons with facilities for prisoners to be put to work, learning valuable skills in the process. The prisons in London would be sold to property developers. For the worst, violent criminals, we would build prisons in Africa, providing a valuable source of revenue and employment for the host country, and saving a fortune in the process.

I can never understand why we fail to learn from other countries rather than give way to emotional response. I agree prisons are too full (and are expensive). A system worth looking at is the sentencing of non-violent offenders who are not a flight risk to sentences which are served part time (nights only or weekends) or to deferred sentences which are served at a later date (slightly different to suspended sentences). Perhaps there are reasons not to go down these routes, but they would certainly free up resource to deal with more dangerous offenders. These sort of questions are why we need to make a considered response instead of jumping to conclusions.
    That's pretty much community service which already exists.
    No. Community service is entirely different with no prison time. It is perfectly sensible as an option but very much for what the Americans would term misdemeanours. Deferred and part time sentences are to deal with more serious non violent offenders and work well elsewhere.
    Of course you cannot separate prison policy from other social policies, and the biggest success of recent years has been Portugal's drug policy which we would look at very seriously if we wanted to reduce some offences. But most of our politicians are too venal to look at evidence.
  • Options
    BMG had conservatives on 37% in mid november
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    GIN1138 said:

Just goes to show Corbyn's "car crash" interview has made absolutely no difference whatsoever and Labour's lead has gone up.

Six points behind is not a lead.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Prisons are too full and too expensive. Personally, I would immediately move all prisons out of London, to other parts of the UK where they can be of more benefit to struggling communities. I would build new prisons with facilities for prisoners to be put to work, learning valuable skills in the process. The prisons in London would be sold to property developers. For the worst, violent criminals, we would build prisons in Africa, providing a valuable source of revenue and employment for the host country, and saving a fortune in the process.

Short stay prisons need to be close to their communities for family and social visits, and prisoners on remand.
    I wouldn't be averse to building our own Alcatraz in the Falklands for convicted terrorists.
    Current law says that they do.
    And it says it for a very good reason.
    I disagree. I can see a case for a prison in London for those on remand. Other than that, if your family don't fancy visiting you 'oop North', don't commit a serious crime.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Foxy said:

Artist said:

It's reversing the big rise in the last BMG. Their Tory leads during the campaign have been 8, 8, 13, 6

It looks to me that their last poll was the outlier, this one does look much like the hard.

https://twitter.com/ashcowburn/status/1200821024406867974?s=19
    The Tory+Brexit aggregate is down to 43%, in the previous poll it was 44%, before that 46% and 46%. Perhaps Labour Leavers returning to Labour?
    Remember Ashcroft's poll showed over half of Brexit party voters wouldn't vote Conservative. So in seats where they've stood down they've either gone back to Labour or won't be voting. That's pretty consistent with these changes.
  • Options

The conviction was quashed on appeal. The court declared the government's sentence of indeterminate length was deemed unlawful and a fixed length sentence imposed. He was automatically released half way through as is the current law so blame the Appeal Court!

Priti Patel is blaming the last Labour Government
    ' legislation brought in by your government in 2008 meant that dangerous terrorists had to automatically be released after half of their jail term. Conservatives changed the law in 2012 to end your automatic release policy but Khan was convicted before this.'

I suspect that that's over simplistic. As I posted earlier, apparently he sought help from either the prison or the probation service but it wasn't available and so he was (I think) re-radicalised.
    Mixing with ones former criminal associates has long been known to lead to re-offending.
    I seem to remember there was quite a fight as to what could be done and I don't think Priti's recall is far from the facts.
  • Options
    There is a point where I start to think that if the public wants another hung Parliament, a weak Corbyn Gvt, and no Brexit for now* then f#%k ‘em, I’ll be alright.
    *It will come, in time.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    GIN1138 said:

Just goes to show Corbyn's "car crash" interview has made absolutely no difference whatsoever and Labour's lead has gone up.

Election campaigns, debates, interviews, politicians constantly making a nuisance of themselves on the telly 14/7... all of it makes **** all difference.

People are doing what they always do at this point in an election - which is considering the alternatives. Next week they'll start saying " no thanks" and we'll finish up back where started with Con 10% ahead.

I'm going to try to wait for the rest of the evening's data, but this does look like it could be evidence of more tightening towards another Hung Parliament. There's no particular reason to suppose that the Conservative lead will magically open up again.
  • Options
    Apparently ComRes is good as well?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just goes to show Corbyn's "car crash" interview has made absolutely no difference whatsoever and Labour's lead has actually gone up.

Election campaigns, debates, interviews, politicians constantly making a nuisance of themselves on the telly 14/7... all of it makes **** all difference.

People are doing what they always do at this point in an election - which is considering the alternatives. Next week they'll start saying " no thanks" and we'll finish up back where started with Con 10% ahead.

Neither would Boris's.

What *does* do damage is him dodging the debates and Andrew Neil.

Fuckwit. Redoing Theresa May's mistakes.

Fuckwit.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Six points behind is not a lead.
    Sorry should have said Labour's share. Too late to edit now.
  • Options
    Feels like Boris has blown it. Looking back, I think his media allies went OTT with Corbyn's manifesto launch - smacked of panic and rather magnified the Tories' own trappist silence on policy. Would have been better just to ignore it.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,190

Another factor to consider is share. Now this may change tonight but remember labour have yet to burst through 34 in any poll this election. The key for them is getting into the upper 30s

They've got 35?
    Nope, not yet
  • Options

Tories:39
    Labour: 33

Is that the lowest lead yet?

Survation had a lead of 6% about three weeks ago.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Even if he did the debate now he's made it a story about trying to evade it and then giving in.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    felix said:

If the poll tightening trend continues we are definitely back where we started. It seems the British people do not want a functioning government or resolution of the Brexit issue. I fear we are heading towards another referendum on Brexit - and then maybe we can return to the other serious issues. As a Conservative remainer I have no problem with this but my greater fear continues to be the slide towards a Labour government which under the current leadership would be catastrophic.

The Tories might have applied more than ten seconds’ thought to Brexit and its implications, before becoming so obsessed with it.
  • Options
    glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Even if he did the debate now he's made it a story about trying to evade it and then giving in.
    Yep.

Fuckwit.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I wonder what Opinium will show . I can’t see that doing something major given it seems to have been the best pollster for the Tories over the last month.
  • Options

Link?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Good for ?!?
  • Options

Link?
    Com Res did a poll for Telegraph on 27th. Why would they do another one two days later??
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

GIN1138 said:

I'm going to try to wait for the rest of the evening's data, but this does look like it could be evidence of more tightening towards another Hung Parliament. There's no particular reason to suppose that the Conservative lead will magically open up again.
    People always consider their options in the middle of an election before gradually moving back to the government in the final week of the campaign.

Without a swing back to Con in the closing says of the 2017 election Jezza would have been in Downing St running a minority Labour government...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

There is perhaps one straw for Con Maj punters to grasp which is that so far there is no sign of CCHQ panic which might mean their extensive private polling shows a comfortable lead.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:
    Did @Cyclefree ever get a reply to her question?
    No, I did not.
    All we have to go on is what the Labour Party spokeswoman said in response to the query from the Catholic Herald, which you can find in the original article.

• Options
    I think this is Waspi effect. 15K-30K is a fantastic bribe. Has anybody checked that it would be legal under discrimination legislation?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    I don't think Neil and the debates have done much damage. Corbyn is literally giving people thousands of pounds. It's like the people's postcode lottery showing up on your doorstep. That cuts through.
  • Options
    Perhaps Get Brexit Done is now wearing thin . The public might think they have nothing else to say . Where’s their vision for the country .
  • Options
    Nestacres said:

Link?
    Com Res did a poll for Telegraph on 27th. Why would they do another one two days later??
    Sunday telegraph or sunday express have had a comres every week so far
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:
    Did @Cyclefree ever get a reply to her question?
    No, I did not.
    All we have to go on is what the Labour Party spokeswoman said in response to the query from the Catholic Herald, which you can find in the original article.
    Which was a classic non-denial denial.
    Can’t help but feel this will play badly in strongly Catholic areas, Liverpool and the North West.
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

That 5/6 tory under 346.5 seats isnstill available
  • Options
    More soberly, there is something in the analysis that there’s two sets of pollsters telling two different overall stories, but one very clear trend.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Was there not a tweet from Martin Boon earlier in the day implying two polls would be good for either side?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

If you are going to post rumors, at least post the source.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

GIN1138 said:

There is perhaps one straw for Con Maj punters to grasp which is that so far there is no sign of CCHQ panic which might mean their extensive private polling shows a comfortable lead.
    Or it might mean they’re totally stupid.
    I know which one I would bet on...
  • Options
    Noones going to get any WASPI cash. The only thing reduced Tory seats at this point leads to is a high chance of a no deal Brexit and the pound crashing.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    I don't think Neil and the debates have done much damage. Corbyn is literally giving people thousands of pounds. It's like the people's postcode lottery showing up on your doorstep. That cuts through.
    Contrarian view here, but I suspect what we're seeing is just low-information voters finally realising there's an election on.
  • Options
    Squeaky bum time indeed!

https://imgur.com/0a2aOgM
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    Tories always seem to think that hiding from the media, refusing to offer any positive vision for our country, and relentlessly negative campaigning are the way to win elections.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Tbh, I'm still not worried.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,006
    It'll be the average of tonight's polls that will be the important thing. The polling average before today was 42/32/14.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Squeaky bum time indeed!

It's so weird how it almost perfectly tracks 2017
  • Options

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    Contrarian view here, but I suspect what we're seeing is just low-information voters finally realising there's an election on.
    If the Tories get back in they need to reduce the time period from dissolution to election. It's far too long and allows way too many people who don't pay attention to crawl out the woodwork for Labour.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    If Corbyn is feeling emboldened enough to go after the Tories on anything relating to terrorism, maybe they are in trouble.
  • Options

RobD said:

Squeaky bum time indeed!

It's so weird how it almost perfectly tracks 2017
    For the lead, yeah. I wonder how methodology changes would have effected the 2017 curve.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The Waspi pledge effects 3.8 million women . And of course that effects their husbands/partners aswell who might be inclined to vote to help his wife or partner .

For determined Leavers it might not impact but for softer Leavers effected by the pension change especially those who normally vote Labour but were thinking of voting for another party it might keep them with the party.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Dan Hodges being quite cynical about pollster herding...
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I wonder what Opinium will show . I can’t see that doing something major given it seems to have been the best pollster for the Tories over the last month.

The last Opinium was almost certainly an outlier, so if it does no more than to revert to the mean (for Opinium) then it would show a tightening. If there has actually been a tightening in public opinion too, then it could be quite dramatic.
    Who knows what it means if Opinium shows a larger Tory lead. Polls, eh?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Tbh, I am.
  • Options
    It's on the Express re ComRes, but I've just realised it's just re-reporting the poll earlier this week. Apologies all!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    If the Tories get back in they need to reduce the time period from dissolution to election. It's far too long and allows way too many people who don't pay attention to crawl out the woodwork for Labour.
    I remember when this weekend would be referred to as the 'middle weekend' in an election campaign.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It'll be the average of tonight's polls that will be the important thing. The polling average before today was 42/32/14.

Yes it’s notable that a couple of high-ish data points would change the shape of your graph I think. It’s also notable that there’s almost a sine wave in there, which I’m guessing is drive my when the “higher” scoring pollsters report.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    edited November 2019
    It's against my betting but if this Tory majority really is slipping away then ☺🙌
    Even better if the reason is that people are starting to see through the ghastly Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Perhaps these polls tell us more about pollsters than they do about public opinion....

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    Aren't there legal requirements?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    Used to be four weeks, now five? weeks.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited November 2019

It's on the Express re ComRes, but I've just realised it's just re-reporting the poll earlier this week. Apologies all!

You spend half your time on this site apologising for inaccurate posts.

Perhaps think before typing eh?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    kinabalu said:

It's against my betting but if this Tory majority really is slipping away then ☺🙌
    Even better if the reason is that people are starting to see through the ghastly Boris Johnson.

I hope they also see through the ghastly Jeremy Corbyn before it is too late.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You should be.

Even a Conservative win this year will be followed by a Corbynista majority in 2024.

Because the Conservatives are in denial about student debt.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    edited November 2019
    Baxtered, BMG poll shows Putney Lab gain from Con. Thoughts at 2/1?
  • Options

You spend half your time on this site apologising for inaccurate posts.

Perhaps think before typing eh?
    Have a lovely evening
  • Options
    Loving the indie slipping out the 'good news' four hours earlier than last weeks 13 point lead ;)
  • Options

I would respectfully suggest you do not comment on polls without the actual link

I do not bet but this is a betting site that affects many posters bets
  • Options
    That poll was for the indie....?? LOL
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    If only there were a group of people that could change the law!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Perhaps Get Brexit Done is now wearing thin . The public might think they have nothing else to say . Where’s their vision for the country .

They don't have one but then again nobody else does and nobody wants a vision.

What everyone wants is more money and they want someone else to provide it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Noones going to get any WASPI cash. The only thing reduced Tory seats at this point leads to is a high chance of a no deal Brexit and the pound crashing.

I think the reverse . That’s the only policy I would definitely believe will be delivered . Failing to pay up would be disastrous at future elections .
  • Options
    The thing about that BMG was that the labour score was lower than the Boon poll, and so was the tory score. and the lib dem score was the same.

and so all those votes have gone to......??????
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

It's going to be a Hung Parliament, isn't it?

I lumped on back on Wednesday. Prepare for Corbyn.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

The thing about that BMG was that the labour score was lower than the Boon poll, and so was the tory score. and the lib dem score was the same.

BXP and Green Surge apparently.
  • Options
    camel said:

BXP and Green Surge apparently.
    LOL
  • Options

Labour is up 4 points with Leave voters in a week, what is happening?

Presumably some people voted Leave in the hope of a left-wing kleptocracy free of interference from Brussels. "Take back control of other people's money" they might have thought. And so it came to pass.
  • Options
    As an ardent Remainer even if the Tories offered me 30,000 pounds I’d say get lost , and I’m sure there are Leavers who would think the same about the Labour pledge but there’s a lot of other people who aren’t so fussed either way about the EU who might think thanks !
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

Was there not a tweet from Martin Boon earlier in the day implying two polls would be good for either side?

Yes. The PB Tory panic is great fun but expect to see something going the other way later.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the reverse . That’s the only policy I would definitely believe will be delivered . Failing to pay up would be disastrous at future elections .
    Just read the Lib Dem position on it and you may well be correct. I thought they'd be opposed to such nonsense.
  • Options
    The important thing is that the commentariat have the narrative they want....so that's alright.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Pulpstar said:

Just read the Lib Dem position on it and you may well be correct. I thought they'd be opposed to such nonsense.
    It is fun watching, I'm sure they get a lot of joy when good Tory polls come out too
  • Options
    I think some Tories in here trashing a poll because it’s for a pro EU online paper are ignoring that generally the better polls for Labour have ended up in pro Leave papers like the DT !

• Options
    nico67 said:

Socialism that was tried to destruction by Wilson & Callaghan?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

As an ardent Remainer even if the Tories offered me 30,000 pounds I’d say get lost , and I’m sure there are Leavers who would think the same about the Labour pledge but there’s a lot of other people who aren’t so fussed either way about the EU who might think thanks !

For the avoidance of doubt, can I just make clear to any party leaders reading that we aren’t all this morally sound and a cheque for £30k absolutely will get you my vote.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes. The PB Tory panic is great fun but expect to see something going the other way later.
    How would he know? do the pollsters tell each other their polling results ahead of time?
  • Options

nico67 said:

For the avoidance of doubt, can I just make clear to any party leaders reading that we aren’t all this morally sound and a cheque for £30k absolutely will get you my vote.
    Great post , very funny !
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I think some Tories in here trashing a poll because it’s for a pro EU online paper are ignoring that generally the better polls for Labour have ended up in pro Leave papers like the DT !

Well true but those polls have been more consistent....this is a massive move
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832

Labour is up 4 points with Leave voters in a week, what is happening?

Perhaps Leave voters quite like anti-semitism?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Pulpstar said:

What have Labour actually promised? What I have heard is statements like righting a historic wrong, etc.

That doesn't mean they are paying 30 k.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Pulpstar said:

What have Labour actually promised? What I have heard is statements like righting a historic wrong, etc.

They have an online calculator telling you how much you'd get if you vote Labour.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I am.
  • Options
    We have probably heard less about Brexit in the last four weeks than we did in the previous two years.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Chris has a poll later. Chris has a narrowing of the gap, or is a top troll.

The above from Martin Boon. Chris is with YouGov and tweeted in respect of the BMG 'its beginning to look a lot like 2017'
  • Options

We have probably heard less about Brexit in the last four weeks than we did in the previous two years.

One would think that might be about to change....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Neither would Boris's.

Fuckwit.

Yep.

Fuckwit.
    If only there were a group of people that could change the law!
    … and another group that could stop them if it wasn't in the first group's manifesto.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Pulpstar said:

They have an online calculator telling you how much you'd get if you vote Labour.
    If I identify as a middle-aged woman can I be eligible?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    We'#re expecting a nicer poll for the Tories a bit later. But reactions to London Bridge are not factored in either way, and it's hard to predict - possibly nothing, since no party is really responsible for what one individual does.

Overall, I think the move of Labour Leavers back to Labour is consistent with the belief that people in places like Bolsover really find it difficult to vote Tory in the end.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

MaxPB said:

I am.
    Can u have a word with CCHQ, please.

Tell them to get their act together.
  • Options
    The Waspi pledge is the most brilliant, cynical, morally depraved election manoeuvre in modern history.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

There are very few principles in this world that are valued at more than £10k. Its the point an honorable person will do a dishonorable thing.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Anecdotal...

I naturally know quite a few Labour voters in friends and family. Having spoken to many recently, Corbyn does not have the vote of a single one of them in the bag.

Doesn’t mean they won’t vote Labour, but in 2017 the mood was different. So I’m not buying a Labour swing yet.
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited November 2019

We'#re expecting a nicer poll for the Tories a bit later. But reactions to London Bridge are not factored in either way, and it's hard to predict - possibly nothing, since no party is really responsible for what one individual does.

Overall, I think the move of Labour Leavers back to Labour is consistent with the belief that people in places like Bolsover really find it difficult to vote Tory in the end.

They like the Labour bribes,until later when their tax & cost of living up!
This discussion has been closed.