Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2019 podcast from Keiran Pedley – now with Ipsos MORI

Comments

• NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Conservative deputy party chair in Stourbridge quits over islamophobia. Says he reported the incident to CCHQ and nothing happened.
  • maaarsh said:

nico67 said:

The EU is a rules based organization. So big deal the EU is enforcing the rules .

Lol. The EU follows the rules until it's inconvenient and they need to bail things out right now whatever the rules say.

It's certainly fair to say it's a Napoleonic code based organisation, rather than a common law organisation, which is why it is so often incapable of reaching the common sense outcome.
    The EU are happy to bend the rules.

But only in one direction.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

The risk of the head to head debate is raised in the podcast and I think it quite relevant. As it notes the Tories want to unite the leave vote and split the remain vote. I'm not sure cutting Swinson out and making the point it is Corbyn or Boris does the latter.

The real risk of the head-to-head debate is that it turns into Corbyn doing moral outrage versus Johnson being an incoherent, bumbling, waffling dolt. The former manages to land a couple of sharp rhetorical blows on the latter (about the NHS, the Grenfell Tower, the floods, whatever) and any Labour Leavers who haven't already gone home have the excuse they've been subconsciously craving to do so.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957

Well England arent arent to get 10 at this rate.

Job done. Don't get cards, don't get injured, don't let in more than one.

I am now just so used to NFL Red Zone... what do you mean nobody has scored for 10 mins.
    The round up at the end of "all 57 touchdowns"!
  • geoffw said:

There was some discussion last week about job sharing (for labour leadership).
    Couldn't the BXP and Con candidates share the MP job they are unnecessarily vying for?

The Greens tried to stand a joint job-share candidate somewhere in 2017, or 2015, and had the nomination rejected.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

So, polls? :)

Addiction, very sad. Seek help!

To pass the time - one of the best-known Tory councillors in Waverley (=SW Surrey, more or less), Liz Townsend, has resigned from the party today because she disagrees with Brexit. She'll sit as an independent.
    I can stop any time I want. I choose not to. :p
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Six runners go to post for the East Ham Constituency General Election Handicap for 3-y-o of all ages. Stephen Timms hangs on here by 39,883 votes.

https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Council and Democracy/StatementOfPersonsNominatedAndNoticeOfPollEastHam.pdf

Kamran Malik was outside East Ham Station with a megaphone this evening berating the commuters as they exited the station. Communities United stood in 2015 and got 0.8% of the vote.

The Conservative may find leafy Beckenham somewhat different from East Ham (I know I did) but I look forward to him campaigning in the High Street.

Seven candidates are standing in West Ham where Lyn Brown has a hyper marginal majority of 36,754 votes.

The Christian People's Alliance (CPA) who were once quite strong in the Canning Town area in the era of Alan Craig and held Council seats join the other six - this time the Conservative hails from Ealing so it's either a nice amble down the District or a swift ride across London and change at Mile End.

East Ham is the third safest Labour seat in the UK and number 564 on the Conservative target list so I suspect we won't see @HYUFD pounding the streets down here.

West Ham is number 20 on the Labour list and 547 on the Conservative target list. It also has the largest electorate in London with over 92,000 voters.

The safest Labour seats are Manchester Gorton and Birmingham Hodge Hill - Chorley was the safest but with Lindsay Hoyle's elevation to Speaker that no longer counts.

Chorley was the safest Labour seat?! More than Gorton and Hodge Hill? Chorley is a stretch of ok-small-town Lancashire. Labour leaning, but doesn't strike me as natural Corbyn territory. What happened to make it so safe?
  • PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

EU is launching legal action against the government for failing to nominate a commissioner during the GE campaign.

I am sure boris isnt exactly unhappy about it. Imagine if they had, it would be politically toxic to do so and the EU are idiots for not just holding fire and instead giving Boris something to bang on about.

You sometimes wonder whether the EU has a requirement that all its officials must have the intellectual capacity of a boiled cabbage.

What utter fuckwit thought this was a smart thing to say?

the EU rejected the explanation given by the UK, stating that “a member state may not invoke provisions prevailing in its domestic legal system to justify failure to observe obligations arising under union law”.

Just confirm every Leaver prejudice going and undermine every last Remainer argument at the exact moment we’re voting on whether or not to enact the referendum result.

Honestly, are we quite sure Boris Johnson didn’t bribe the Commission to write this letter?
    Boris Johnson wrote to them saying it was convention (not a "[provision] prevailing in [the] domestic legal system") that such senior appointments cannot be made by the government during an election period.

Is that true? "Convention" means it has happened before. So during which election did Britain decline to appoint a commissioner? And if there is no case in respect of the appointment of a commissioner, what other senior appointments are conventionally comparable and have similarly not been filled?
  • PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    nico67 said:

As much as the Tories want the election on Brexit I think the public understandably want to talk about other things aswell . And events can force that anyway .

Things that you never expected to be an issue pop up. Sadly we’ve seen those awful floods and what’s to know what will pop up in the coming weeks .

Private schools would be my guess.
  • Noo said:

Conservative deputy party chair in Stourbridge quits over islamophobia. Says he reported the incident to CCHQ and nothing happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Supreme_Court_verdict_on_Ayodhya_dispute
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

kle4 said:

The risk of the head to head debate is raised in the podcast and I think it quite relevant. As it notes the Tories want to unite the leave vote and split the remain vote. I'm not sure cutting Swinson out and making the point it is Corbyn or Boris does the latter.

The real risk of the head-to-head debate is that it turns into Corbyn doing moral outrage versus Johnson being an incoherent, bumbling, waffling dolt. The former manages to land a couple of sharp rhetorical blows on the latter (about the NHS, the Grenfell Tower, the floods, whatever) and any Labour Leavers who haven't already gone home have the excuse they've been subconsciously craving to do so.
    Labour Leavers are less Leave and for many public services etc are more important . So today’s NHS figures are a gift to Corbyn .

There are areas though that are a big weakness for Corbyn like Trident . I think much depends on the questions asked but if I was Johnson I would have insisted on a three way debate .

I’m wondering whether there’s some over confidence in no 10 that Johnson will wipe the floor with Corbyn and this could backfire.
    I hope it is red, for old times sake.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Bigger bus, bigger lies?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2019

This may break the internet.

twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1195086291660156938?s=19

This is more of this kiwi shit posting stuff right?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    I’m wobbling on voting Labour again. Not sure if I can do it.

Noo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Supreme_Court_verdict_on_Ayodhya_dispute
    Mate. Your whataboutery is getting pretty weird.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited November 2019
    Pierrot said:

ydoethur said:

EU is launching legal action against the government for failing to nominate a commissioner during the GE campaign.

I am sure boris isnt exactly unhappy about it. Imagine if they had, it would be politically toxic to do so and the EU are idiots for not just holding fire and instead giving Boris something to bang on about.

You sometimes wonder whether the EU has a requirement that all its officials must have the intellectual capacity of a boiled cabbage.

What utter fuckwit thought this was a smart thing to say?

the EU rejected the explanation given by the UK, stating that “a member state may not invoke provisions prevailing in its domestic legal system to justify failure to observe obligations arising under union law”.

Just confirm every Leaver prejudice going and undermine every last Remainer argument at the exact moment we’re voting on whether or not to enact the referendum result.

Honestly, are we quite sure Boris Johnson didn’t bribe the Commission to write this letter?

"Convention" means it has happened before.
    Not necessarily. Something being a convention might mean things have happened in other ways, but not generally, but it could mean that things have always been done a certain way but there's not necessarily a firm legal rule it has to be done that way.

Regarding Boris's arguments I've no idea, but it's not like it makes much difference. If he wins he won't be punished for not appointing and if he loses someone else will do it anyway.

What are your policy priorities?
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So they’re going to unveil their battle bus tomorrow . Interesting tactic to put out that image.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Jason said:

Watching Corbyn on the BBC, he looks utterly exhausted, and possibly ill. There's just nothing there. Just how many times can you keep saying you have no opinion on the major issues of the day if you want to be a PM? I'm beginning to see where others are coming from when they say Corbyn doesn't really want this.

So what does he want? To re-model the Labour party in his own image - and send them into oblivion?

He's irritatingly non committal but to say he looks ill is just your hope and better shared with Guido's readers than those on here.
    I can't imagine the Tories would want Corbyn stepping down mid-campaign for a serious health reason. Not with McDonnell filling his shoes.
    Clutching at straws but does anyone know what happens if Corbyn- according to Keiran's podcast the most unpopular leader since 1732- did become incapacitated. Who would take over? Watson isn't standing so it's not obvious. Any ideas Nick?
    Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Proportional Representation
    Avoiding a recession
  • nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Labour Leavers are less Leave and for many public services etc are more important . So today’s NHS figures are a gift to Corbyn .

There are areas though that are a big weakness for Corbyn like Trident . I think much depends on the questions asked but if I was Johnson I would have insisted on a three way debate .

I’m wondering whether there’s some over confidence in no 10 that Johnson will wipe the floor with Corbyn and this could backfire.
    Unlimited immigration is Corbyn's next black swan especially following todays NHS waiting times

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession
    It sounds like an obvious Lib Dem vote to me. What's preventing you?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

Watching Corbyn on the BBC, he looks utterly exhausted, and possibly ill. There's just nothing there. Just how many times can you keep saying you have no opinion on the major issues of the day if you want to be a PM? I'm beginning to see where others are coming from when they say Corbyn doesn't really want this.

So what does he want? To re-model the Labour party in his own image - and send them into oblivion?

He's irritatingly non committal but to say he looks ill is just your hope and better shared with Guido's readers than those on here.
    I can't imagine the Tories would want Corbyn stepping down mid-campaign for a serious health reason. Not with McDonnell filling his shoes.
    Clutching at straws but does anyone know what happens if Corbyn- according to Keiran's podcast the most unpopular leader since 1732- did become incapacitated. Who would take over? Watson isn't standing so it's not obvious. Any ideas Nick?
    My understanding is the NEC would nominate a leader to serve until the next conference.

Edit: Confirmed, Labour Party Rule book p. 22:

‘ When the Party is in opposition and the leader and deputy leader, for whatever reason, both become permanently unavailable, the NEC shall order a postal ballot as provided under E above. In consultation with the Shadow Cabinet they may choose to appoint a member of the Shadow Cabinet to serve as Party leader until the outcome of that ballot.’
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession
    Theres a zero chance of Lib Dems winning my currently Labour (Remainer, not a Corbynista) held seat and a small chance of the Tories winning it through the middle.
    edited November 2019
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Six runners go to post for the East Ham Constituency General Election Handicap for 3-y-o of all ages. Stephen Timms hangs on here by 39,883 votes.

https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Council and Democracy/StatementOfPersonsNominatedAndNoticeOfPollEastHam.pdf

Kamran Malik was outside East Ham Station with a megaphone this evening berating the commuters as they exited the station. Communities United stood in 2015 and got 0.8% of the vote.

The Conservative may find leafy Beckenham somewhat different from East Ham (I know I did) but I look forward to him campaigning in the High Street.

Seven candidates are standing in West Ham where Lyn Brown has a hyper marginal majority of 36,754 votes.

The Christian People's Alliance (CPA) who were once quite strong in the Canning Town area in the era of Alan Craig and held Council seats join the other six - this time the Conservative hails from Ealing so it's either a nice amble down the District or a swift ride across London and change at Mile End.

East Ham is the third safest Labour seat in the UK and number 564 on the Conservative target list so I suspect we won't see @HYUFD pounding the streets down here.

West Ham is number 20 on the Labour list and 547 on the Conservative target list. It also has the largest electorate in London with over 92,000 voters.

The safest Labour seats are Manchester Gorton and Birmingham Hodge Hill - Chorley was the safest but with Lindsay Hoyle's elevation to Speaker that no longer counts.

Chorley was the safest Labour seat?! More than Gorton and Hodge Hill? Chorley is a stretch of ok-small-town Lancashire. Labour leaning, but doesn't strike me as natural Corbyn territory. What happened to make it so safe?
    Probably a typo, as it was not super safe.

But as the seat of the Speaker seeking re-election, a distressing lack of silly candidates and only one independent. That independent? Mark Brexit-Smith.

https://chorley.gov.uk/Documents/Democratic Services/Elections/Statement of Persons Nominated notice of Poll.pdf

I hope that was his given name, that'd be great.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

SLab drifting in Airdrie & Shotts, one of their top targets:

SNP 1/5
    Lab 4/1
    Con 33/1
    LD 100/1

Who are you using to track the constituency odds or are you trawling the bookies manually.
  • This may break the internet.

The social media gurus the Tories have hired this time know *exactly* what they're doing.

Very clever.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Cookie said:

Yes that looks an error on Electoral Calculus and it's because there is no Conservative candidate.

East Ham is third behind Gorton and Hodge Hill.

edited November 2019

The social media gurus the Tories have hired this time know *exactly* what they're doing.

Very clever.
    I dont get this social media shit. Too many tweets make a .... And all that.
  • ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

My understanding is the NEC would nominate a leader to serve until the next conference.
    Given the current state of the NEC's decision making, there's a fair chance that they would nominate Richard Burgon.
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

It's fairly bad taste, and straight out of a Jeffrey Archer novel, but JC stepping back for health reasons would be a helluva plot twist.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Looking through the SoPNs, I see there's still a bunch of vanity centrists standing - Renew and Advance Together and all that nonsense. You wonder when they'll finally get the message that they're not going anywhere.

At least the Continuity Liberals win parish council seats in Liverpool.
    edited November 2019

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession
    Theres a zero chance of Lib Dems winning my currently Labour (Remainer, not a Corbynista) held seat and a small chance of the Tories winning it through the middle.
    The Tory candidate lives in Bedford for christ sake.

https://twitter.com/catmckinnell/status/1195091807702519808?s=21

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession
    Labour...

* May or may not deliver Remain, depends which of their MPs you ask and on what day of the week you ask them
    * Will never commit to PR, unless it is so badly beaten so many times that it thinks it can never win a majority under FPTP again
    * Are loopy krypto-communists who will probably ruin the country if they obtain real power

Given that wish list, I wouldn't say they're the first and most obvious choice to fulfil it.
  • £350m, surely? Just for fun.
  • This may break the internet.

Very clever.
    And Carrie canvassing with Dilyn adds to the gaiety

And then Boris, Carrie and Dilyn out canvassing together

Add in the PPB online hit, there is someone very clever at work in no10

£350m, surely? Just for fun.
    "Labour would send £350m per week to the EU, let's fund our NHS instead"
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

Laura Pidcock then? The sign language interpreter will certainly earn their money.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

I don't think Trident is a big Corbyn weakness.
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

Laura Pidcock then? The sign language interpreter will certainly earn their money.

She’ll probably lose her seat. Although maybe not due to BXP Tory vote splitting.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Very clever.

Haven’t seen any of that. Guess I’m out of the bubble.

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

Given the current state of the NEC's decision making, there's a fair chance that they would nominate Richard Burgon.
    Surely even Johnson couldn’t be *that* lucky?
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    nico67 said:

So they’re going to unveil their battle bus tomorrow . Interesting tactic to put out that image.
    They've got to spend all that Russian money somehow.
    Fenman said:

nico67 said:

They've got to spend all that Russian money somehow.
    Are you suggesting they’re int’rouble?

Good night.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Very clever.

Big G.....for someone who was critical of Boris, you really have turned into his biggest sycophant...

What changed?
  • blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

kle4 said:

To play devil's advocate for a moment, what if Boris goes for the jugular on all the Corbyn weak spots that the lefty media is too polite to press him on? His support for every anti-Western, anti-British group in the world, his wealth taxes on the middle class, his support for open borders, the cowardice of a supposed "principled" man who's lying about his consistent oppposition to EU membership for the last 40 years...

All I'm saying is that the body blows won't all be one way!
  • £350m, surely? Just for fun.
    Nah, it has to be MOAR!
  • tyson said:

Very clever.

Big G.....for someone who was critical of Boris, you really have turned into his biggest sycophant...

What changed?
    He is the only way forward - he will take us out and move on. His domestic agenda is also fine by me and as long as Corbyn is around I will support whoever is best placed to see him lose

• GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

Are we expecting any new polls tonight ?

Never say never but I think we're all polled out until Saturday now! :(
    Do not want!!
  • ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited November 2019
    It's certainly got the Momentumites all in a lather. So doing its job basically.
    blueblue said:

kle4 said:

To play devil's advocate for a moment, what if Boris goes for the jugular on all the Corbyn weak spots that the lefty media is too polite to press him on? His support for every anti-Western, anti-British group in the world, his wealth taxes on the middle class, his support for open borders, the cowardice of a supposed "principled" man who's lying about his consistent oppposition to EU membership for the last 40 years...

Sure, it's possible. But Corbyn's soft spoken, unassuming way (when not throwing a tantrum) can make genuine criticisms seem like they must be overreactions. Will a frantic, energetic assault from Boris land as Corbyn shrugs his arms and says any accusations are not true, but that people can see the failure that is the government? Even if it is on something deserving?

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Jason said:

She’ll probably lose her seat. Although maybe not due to BXP Tory vote splitting.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer person.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession
    obviously vote labour in that case, I would have thought
  • Probably not a great day for the Tories with the NHS. But on the other side of the coin the devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales are not doing any better with it.

It does either need a shed load cash chucking at it, or a rethink.

A lot of the money chucked at it in the 2000s was spent on pay (in many cases justifiable) whereas a lot of capital infrastructure was funded by PPI which is now strangling it financially.

Is there a model working anywhere else in the world that doesn't need a much bigger chunk of GDP spend?

What targets is the NHS in Scotland 'not doing any better with' than those in England?
    Number of new hospitals that are ready for actual patients?
    Any word on the Royal Liverpool?
  • Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

The "only candidate who lives in Newcastle North" is impressively parochial given how close to the constituency boundaries the Green and Liberal Democrat candidates live. They could probably both throw tennis balls from outside their front doors into Newcastle North.
  • blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    kle4 said:

blueblue said:

kle4 said:

Sure, it's possible. But Corbyn's soft spoken, unassuming way (when not throwing a tantrum) can make genuine criticisms seem like they must be overreactions. Will a frantic, energetic assault from Boris land as Corbyn shrugs his arms and says any accusations are not true, but that people can see the failure that is the government? Even if it is on something deserving?
    The fact that Corbyn's calm stupidity plays in his favour is the most incomprehensible thing to me. Having said that, Corbyn nearly fell apart upon persistent, logical questioning of his IndyRef2 position yesterday by, of all people, a Channel 4 interviewer...

tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?
    He is the only way forward - he will take us out and move on. His domestic agenda is also fine by me and as long as Corbyn is around I will support whoever is best placed to see him lose

Surely you are not so naive that you think we’ll enter the transition period and then we’ll all simply forget about Brexit and move on? Brexit is a process and it will dominate for the next 10 years at least.

There is no moving on.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

The "only candidate who lives in Newcastle North" is impressively parochial given how close to the constituency boundaries the Green and Liberal Democrat candidates live. They could probably both throw tennis balls from outside their front doors into Newcastle North.
    Will this election see the curious phenomenon of Geordies for Tory Southerners?!
    edited November 2019

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Yes, that did seem quite petty. The way boundaries shift over time for all I know their addresses and where she was born used to be in the same seat.

Have seen on twitter one '(address in Australia)' address, which will be hard top though.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited November 2019

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Probably fighting his first seat in the hope of a marginal or safe seat next time, though he has a small chance, Newcastle North is 130th on the Tory target list so might fall if a Tory landslide
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    GIN1138 said:
    Can someone explain that tweet? I genuinely don't understand anything about it.
    kle4 said:

blueblue said:

kle4 said:

Corbyn's got his buttons for his Mr Angry setting. I'm sure Boris knows these. As does Cummings,

I'm not saying he will but time and again it's forgotten - Boris is a performer. Why it's assumed it's his weak link I have no idea.The debates aren't really debates. No one learns anything new from them. They're just circuses,
  • I stand by a Hung Parliament.

Within two weeks, if Labour is within 5 points on average, I think it is squeeky bum time.
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    Isn't it a line from Jaws?
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    That's the point.
    HYUFD said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Probably fighting his first seat in the hope of a marginal or safe seat next time, though he has a small chance, Newcastle North is 130th on the Tory target list so might fall if a Tory landslide
    This paragraph pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with FPTP.
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    Yes....
  • Re criticism of Corbyn on terrorism, etc. the public already knows this - and I don't think they particularly care.

The problem Johnson has is he needs new attacks and he doesn't have any. But Corbyn does.

The other issue is that Johnson has a habit of getting flustered and angry in debates. He'll rapidly lose the floor if that happens again.
  • tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?

Surely you are not so naive that you think we’ll enter the transition period and then we’ll all simply forget about Brexit and move on? Brexit is a process and it will dominate for the next 10 years at least.

There is no moving on.
    No I am not naive but 31st January will be a big moment when so much changes

No more revoke or referendums, just go forward for better or worse and of course it is moving on and extinguishes the hope that we would remain

The democratic vote will have been fulfilled and the dial moved forward decisively
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?

"He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Boris.”
  • HYUFD said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Same issue in Batley and Spen.

tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?

There is no moving on.
    Depends how much, having got the act of leaving the EU out of the way, the public wants to obsess about the minutiae of trade negotiations - rather than moving on and doing their best to forget the whole sordid business.

For a surprising number of people, there is life beyond leaveremainleaveremainleaveremainleaveremainleave...
  • Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Somewhat strange to put up a paper candidate in Newcastle North when Electoral Calculus predicts the Tories being only 2,000 votes behind Lab on current polls.
    blueblue said:

kle4 said:

blueblue said:

kle4 said:

The fact that Corbyn's calm stupidity plays in his favour is the most incomprehensible thing to me.
    It can appear contemplative and dignified, even if it is not. His response on arresting terrorists is the verbal equivalent, as it presents some idealistic scenario as if is the same as the more practical scenario he is asked about, but makes him look to many as very principled even as it kind of avoids the question of the precise scenario he is asked about. I get why it works.

That said, people really overdo how outraged we should be by Boris's bumbling persona, and at any debate people will be shocked anyone could vote for Boris over the dignified Corbyn, as if a crass manner, while not my cup of tea, is something people cannot get past.

And to be clear, I don't think either of their persona's is false, per se, I think they both just play up their natural instincts, because they are naturally mild of manner/boisterous, so it is still authentic.
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    Calendar Girls "I think we'll need bigger buns"

We are talking about Johnson being a tit aren't we?
    Chris said:

tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?

"He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Boris.”
    You know that's probably what he asks Carrie to call him?
    edited November 2019

Re criticism of Corbyn on terrorism, etc. the public already knows this - and I don't think they particularly care.

The problem Johnson has is he needs new attacks and he doesn't have any. But Corbyn does.

The other issue is that Johnson has a habit of getting flustered and angry in debates. He'll rapidly lose the floor if that happens again.

New attacks? He has plenty - Corbyn very unhappy discussing Brexit. Confused on Immigration. There'll be a trillion pounds of spending to dig into.

Corbyn also gets flustered and angry - and droing on about hospitals for the 15th Thousand time in his miserable, pessimistic way is just as boring to many now as any accusations on terrorism. It was said on here a few days ago. If all Labour have got is the NHS - they ain't going anywhere,
  • tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?

There is no moving on.
    Depends how much, having got the act of leaving the EU out of the way, the public wants to obsess about the minutiae of trade negotiations - rather than moving on and doing their best to forget the whole sordid business.

For a surprising number of people, there is life beyond leaveremainleaveremainleaveremainleaveremainleave...
    Spot on
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,569
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Yes, that did seem quite petty. The way boundaries shift over time for all I know their addresses and where she was born used to be in the same seat.

Have seen on twitter one '(address in Australia)' address, which will be hard top though.
    Right up there with Brian bloody Monteith getting elected for the Brexit Party at the European Elections, with an address in France.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,720

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession
    Your only realistic chance of remaining in the EU is denying the Tories a majority.

Only a LD Government delivers PR although I would personally like Lab. to commit to it.

I don't think any of the parties take us into a recession.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Re criticism of Corbyn on terrorism, etc. the public already knows this - and I don't think they particularly care.

Wishful thinking i'm afraid

Do you not wonder why Corbyn's ratings are through the floor.

He is poison

As for getting angry - have you not seen Corbyn?

tyson said:

Very clever.

What changed?

There is no moving on.

It doesn’t matter though. They won’t have a choice. The next cliff edge then starts rapidly approaching.

While I agree with your conclusion, I don't know that Corbyn has any new attacks either. Tories are evil, protect the NHS, russian interference, Boris cannot be trusted, etc etc. Boris has been around a long time too, and the stock arguments, while effective, are by definition not new, and the slightly newer ones have been used already.

Christ, Lab were still banging on about the SNP and Thatcher this week, I don't think innovation is at the heart of either main party's attack messages.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,720
    Free fibre broadband for everyone.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I stand by a Hung Parliament.

Within two weeks, if Labour is within 5 points on average, I think it is squeeky bum time.

Someone disagrees

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/14/labour-brink-seismic-wipeout-british-election-history/
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    Or is it from The Italian Job
    Roger said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    Calendar Girls "I think we'll need bigger buns"
    Boris is listening.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    It's surely trying to leverage the iconic status of this bus from Johnson's electoral history.
    timmo said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    Going to need a bigger boat...Jaws.
  • Labour gonna nationalise Openreach!
    edited November 2019

Free fibre broadband for everyone.

In 2030, after they have nationalized BT OpenReach and introduced a £20bn tax on tech sector.
  • timmo said:

RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:
    That's 'You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off (the bus)'.

Noo said:

Noo said:

Remaining in the EU
    Avoiding a recession

Somewhat strange to put up a paper candidate in Newcastle North when Electoral Calculus predicts the Tories being only 2,000 votes behind Lab on current polls.
    In the event of a blue tidal wave on a scale big enough to sweep Newcastle North, the qualities of individual candidates are hardly going to matter.

But Newcastle North is not going to go blue. So the qualities of the individual candidate are hardly going to matter.
This discussion has been closed.