Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings & Johnson strategy could well be dubbed as the ch

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    edited September 2019

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    It is an extraordinary achievement for Britain's first prime minister with Muslim ancestry to be so widely regarded as a racist.

Johnson's racism does not derive from some inherent belief that one race or group is inferior to another, it is much more that he is very happy to demean races or groups for political advantage and to give or share platforms to those who do believe in racial superiority.

You mean his racism is cynical rather than sincere?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF said:

Corbyn is frit and Labour like their women forced to cover up was the summary.

"Labour like their women forced to cover up".

Puerile and a touch embarrassing. Certainly inappropriate for here.

Suggest you edit out.

Will you do that for me?
    I’m not changing anything for someone who thinks bikinis are part of some evil apparatus for the subjugation of women.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He's not getting back up from that one.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    isam said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

What's more we have had thread headers from SO about his joining and leaving Labour under Corbyn, which have been interesting.

Insight from those like him, @NickPalmer @david_herdson who are practitioners and not just commentators is valuable, interesting and one of the best things about this site. Attacking people personally adds nothing.

There has been some somewhat unpleasant criticism of those who write headers. Criticism is absolutely fine but if people don't like what is published they should offer their own articles rather than simply carp. @Philip_Thompson and @MarqueeMark, who are both very much Leavers, did so and produced two very fine headers.

If people want to stick their head above the parapet they should be able to handle mild criticism. I found the other threads you mention equally self indulgent. Am I allowed a view?
    I'm rather confused why you are commenting then?

I come here for an exchange of views. People posting their views is basically the point it seems to me. If nobody did this would be one very hollow site.
    Exchanging views on politics is not the same as writing essays about oneself. I just find making a song and dance about private matters a bit cringeworthy and self important, that’s all. Maybe I’m guilty of doing so here!

When people resigned from parties 30 years ago, if they photocopied their resignation letter and passed it around the pub, it would be a vanity act. I don’t see much difference with that and writing headers about it or reposting it online.
    You should chill out and have a glass of wine. Did I tell you about the time I had that great bottle of 1945...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

Scott_P said:
    He's not getting back up from that one.
    Dunno.

McDonnell was very lucky a "concerned citizen" didn't call the Police when he said Esther McVey should be lynched...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    eek said:

Interesting that Javid has announced +5% for the Ministry of Justice - courts, etc. Maybe someone is listening to Cyclefree?

5% really won't solve things in that department.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1169229053985005568
    Not high up in the minds of the General Public, though. Justice = Police Officers catching muggers yes, 'justice for those caught reverting to 18th C standards, not so much.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Byronic said:

PB used to be a great way of assessing public opinion, as it offered a uniquely wide spectrum of well informed viewpoints. Sadly, this is yet another victim of Brexit.

It is impossible to get a grasp of how Boris is REALLY doing, because 95% of you are crazed by your hatred of him, and the other 5% therefore feel obliged to put up a desperate defence of him, whatever he does.

Shame. I shall have to rely on polls.

Don't worry, I'm here and I am objective almost to a fault.

Boris today was not great. He lacked authority as he usually does but there was not the compensating brio or wit.

It was all a bit tacky.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

What's more we have had thread headers from SO about his joining and leaving Labour under Corbyn, which have been interesting.

Insight from those like him, @NickPalmer @david_herdson who are practitioners and not just commentators is valuable, interesting and one of the best things about this site. Attacking people personally adds nothing.

There has been some somewhat unpleasant criticism of those who write headers. Criticism is absolutely fine but if people don't like what is published they should offer their own articles rather than simply carp. @Philip_Thompson and @MarqueeMark, who are both very much Leavers, did so and produced two very fine headers.

If people want to stick their head above the parapet they should be able to handle mild criticism. I found the other threads you mention equally self indulgent. Am I allowed a view?
    I'm rather confused why you are commenting then?

I come here for an exchange of views. People posting their views is basically the point it seems to me. If nobody did this would be one very hollow site.
    Exchanging views on politics is not the same as writing essays about oneself. I just find making a song and dance about private matters a bit cringeworthy and self important, that’s all. Maybe I’m guilty of doing so here!

When people resigned from parties 30 years ago, if they photocopied their resignation letter and passed it around the pub, it would be a vanity act. I don’t see much difference with that and writing headers about it or reposting it online.
    You should chill out and have a glass of wine. Did I tell you about the time I had that great bottle of 1945...
    I never talk about wine that cost less than 10 grand a pop dahling
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sturgeon rightly pointing out that Labour doesn't fancy a poll right now because its ratings are in the shit.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    ab195 said:

The election isn’t done quite yet.... The FM smells blood.

Chicken MacNugget
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Please don't SHOUT!
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    The 'well' in this case would be a vote of no confidence in HMG. It was confirmed today that the matter is not justice able.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

PB used to be a great way of assessing public opinion, as it offered a uniquely wide spectrum of well informed viewpoints. Sadly, this is yet another victim of Brexit.

It is impossible to get a grasp of how Boris is REALLY doing, because 95% of you are crazed by your hatred of him, and the other 5% therefore feel obliged to put up a desperate defence of him, whatever he does.

What you on about? There’s more balance here than most places.
    Well, if you’re right, we can expect the next few polls to show Boris plummeting overnight, and the Tories in free fall, given that he has just revealed what a flailing clown he is, and what a terrible racist coward, bumbling hypocrite, stupid posh boy, etc etc etc

My guess is his ratings won’t collapse, because this is all vapid hysteria from the echo chamber that is PB today. It is a real shame.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

Boris today was not great. He lacked authority as he usually does but there was not the compensating brio or wit.

It was all a bit tacky.
    I think Boris is a tosser and was a tosser at PMQs. But he can certainly be an entertaining tosser which is also what he was today.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Ah, Nicola will drag Cowardly Corbyn kicking and screaming to the polls even if Boris can't. :D
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

I wonder how widespread this view of Cummings is among Tory MPs. I always regarded Gale as a no fuss plodder, so for me this looks quite significant. But others will know a whole lot better.
    https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1169177243307757568

I'm not averse to unconventional style or even swearing. But some people seem to take delight in acting so as part of their brand, it is just self satisfied posturing about how cool they think they are.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Drutt said:

The 'well' in this case would be a vote of no confidence in HMG. It was confirmed today that the matter is not justice able.
    Not in a Scottish court - tomorrow in an English court....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

This is my MP. Respect.

Always liked her, despite being on the wrong team
  • Options

eek said:

Interesting that Javid has announced +5% for the Ministry of Justice - courts, etc. Maybe someone is listening to Cyclefree?

5% really won't solve things in that department.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1169229053985005568
    Not high up in the minds of the General Public, though. Justice = Police Officers catching muggers yes, 'justice for those caught reverting to 18th C standards, not so much.
    Justice delayed is Justice denied and some court cases now take 2 years to be heard.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    DavidL said:

This is a frankly embarrassing performance by the Saj.

No surprise as he is totally crap.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

Ah, Nicola will drag Cowardly Corbyn kicking and screaming to the polls even if Boris can't. :D
    She wants an election before the trial of the century.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Well, if you’re right, we can expect the next few polls to show Boris plummeting overnight, and the Tories in free fall, given that he has just revealed what a flailing clown he is, and what a terrible racist coward, bumbling hypocrite, stupid posh boy, etc etc etc

My guess is his ratings won’t collapse, because this is all vapid hysteria from the echo chamber that is PB today. It is a real shame.
    This is nonsense. Half of the regular posters on here are Boris supporters for god sake. You just spend more time blathering to the wall about echo chambres and how ‘out of touch’ everyone is.

I come here specifically to hear points from other perspectives, from a variety of walks of life and geographical locations.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

It was all a bit tacky.
    I can see the Tories up to 40 per cent in the polls this weekend based on some conversations I have had with Leavers who would otherwise be supporting TBP.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I’m not changing anything for someone who thinks bikinis are part of some evil apparatus for the subjugation of women.

Bikinis?

What on earth has got you thinking about bikinis? - OK, you may take the 5th!

But no, seriously, that comment was poor. If I were you I would contact the administrator and see if it can be taken down.
  • Options

Also hearing PMQs reminded me of Trump in the debates. It was awful: He ignored the questions and just waffled and repeated talking points.

But he kept hitting the talking points. And the talking points were tested to reach the voters he needed, whereas the "gives cogent answers and answers the sodding question" vote is probably not a key swing demographic.

This is how Blair was successful. Answer the questions you want to hear.

Johnson is essentially trying to replace the traditional mainstream Tories like Richard N and BigG (to whom genuine sympathies for what must have been a painful decision) with new voters who haven't voted Tory before. With Farage fishing in the same pool, it's not obvious that it will work, and we won't really know till we see who turns out on election day.
    This. My instinct is this pool is not as deep as it appears. If I recall from the polls something like 35-40% of public could entertain no deal. Which means 60-65% won't entertain it. Surely better tactics to be fishing in the bigger pool.

Can anyone remember a potential election where the outcome was more uncertain than this one?!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Well that was a dreadful performance by Boris

I really have doubts that he can win a majority, indeed whether he can survive the aftermath of an indecisive GE

You are no longer a Tory but a LD in all but name now so no surprise there
    Absolutely, if Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart are not conservatives in your eyes it is not they or I who have lost our marbles, but you have become a Farage sycophant
    No disrespect Big G but if youre on a cruise shouldnt you be relaxing and enjoying it ? Really nothing much will have changed on here by the time you get back, nor can anyone on this site change much. Give Mrs G a break :-)
    It seems that it is holiday season on PB - cruises, typing on iPads by pools in 35 degrees. Wasn't Malcolm on a cruise the other day?

Don't we all live the life.
    Topping , I wish, though I did say the other day that I may need a boat for gardening due to the amount of rain.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    lucky you living in Uxbridge
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I wonder how widespread this view of Cummings is among Tory MPs. I always regarded Gale as a no fuss plodder, so for me this looks quite significant. But others will know a whole lot better.
    https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1169177243307757568

I'm not averse to unconventional style or even swearing. But some people seem to take delight in acting so as part of their brand, it is just self satisfied posturing about how cool they think they are.
    Sat next to Gale at a dinner quite a long while ago.
    He was a pleasant civilised conversationalist, although we didn't discuss politics.
  • Options
    Brom said:

lucky you living in Uxbridge
    Eh?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I really have doubts that he can win a majority, indeed whether he can survive the aftermath of an indecisive GE

Absolutely, if Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart are not conservatives in your eyes it is not they or I who have lost our marbles, but you have become a Farage sycophant
    No disrespect Big G but if youre on a cruise shouldnt you be relaxing and enjoying it ? Really nothing much will have changed on here by the time you get back, nor can anyone on this site change much. Give Mrs G a break :-)
    Alan, he may be on the sun lounger with an ice cold pint or a nice G&T, enjoying shooting the breeze.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

It seems that it is holiday season on PB - cruises, typing on iPads by pools in 35 degrees. Wasn't Malcolm on a cruise the other day?

pah, some of us have to work

occasionally :-)
    I am slogging away here, living the dream.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Alan, he may be on the sun lounger with an ice cold pint or a nice G&T, enjoying shooting the breeze.
    malc if I get too caught up in stuff on holidays its a god awful row with the Mrs. I reluctantly have to concede the point that its her holiday too.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2019
    It's absolutely the right thing for Labour to do, not least in their own electoral interests. They might screw it up, of course, but if they don't it's a neat way both of stuffing Boris and of escaping from their own shambles of a Brexit position.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

This is nonsense. Half of the regular posters on here are Boris supporters for god sake.
    And I'm not entirely convinced they're all different people.
  • Options

I can see the Tories up to 40 per cent in the polls this weekend based on some conversations I have had with Leavers who would otherwise be supporting TBP.

Sure. Being tacky does not mean he won't win an election.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

It was all a bit tacky.
    Thanks Kinabalu.

Earlier I asked for sensible and impartial assessments of BJ's performance at PMQs and I got it. When you have been participating in the Site as long as I have you get to know who you can trust and it's really a pleasingly high number of posters, despite all the inevitable bluster and trolling.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    The Tories need to use their famous ruthlessness to get rid of Johnson as soon as they possibly can. Preferably before the evening news later today.
  • Options

It's absolutely the right thing for Labour to do, not least in their own electoral interests. They might screw it up, of course, but if they don't it's a neat way both of stuffing Boris and of escaping from their own shambles of a Brexit position.

Unless Nicola scuppers it
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

pah, some of us have to work

occasionally :-)
    I am slogging away here, living the dream.
    You should be near cashing in the pension though ?

Mrs B is having a rough time given the worker free org structure in her part of the business, she's hoping theyll come up with another restructuring
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Topping , I wish, though I did say the other day that I may need a boat for gardening due to the amount of rain.
    Sadly we are blocked from making significant holiday plans as my wife is waiting for an appointment for surgery at the local NHS hospital. We could go for a short break of course, but the need to see the post and be able to move forward is detracting from the will to do that.
    At least she knows she getting an appointment; she also has a letter for another, unrelated, issue where she has been told she won't be seen for at least six months, due to shortage of staff, and consequently no appointments will be offered.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    That’s surprisingly sensible from Labour. Wait and delay. Make Boris go to Brussels and ask for the extension he never wanted. Terrible Optics for BJ

But there is one alternative outcome. What if Boris refuses to ask?

Then, as per the surrender bill, Brussels will impose an extension, to be rubber-stamped by parliament. What if it is 3 years? Or 5? 10? Where are we then?! And what if it has conditions?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think Boris is a tosser and was a tosser at PMQs. But he can certainly be an entertaining tosser which is also what he was today.

I agree that he can be. I am often entertained by him. And he most certainly has charisma.

But today, for me, he seemed off. It was his flaws which predominated.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malc if I get too caught up in stuff on holidays its a god awful row with the Mrs. I reluctantly have to concede the point that its her holiday too.
    Alan, I draw the line if I am away on holiday for sure, no laptop etc.
  • Options

It seems to be obvious to everyone but the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Unless Nicola scuppers it
    I don't think she will. Of course she'll want to lay into Labour for domestic electoral purposes, but I don't think there's any more to her tweets than that.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That’s surprisingly sensible from Labour. Wait and delay. Make Boris go to Brussels and ask for the extension he never wanted. Terrible Optics for BJ

Then, as per the surrender bill, Brussels will impose an extension, to be rubber-stamped by parliament. What if it is 3 years? Or 5? 10? Where are we then?! And what if it has conditions?
    more likely what if he waffles and the EU dont realise he has asked ?
  • Options

It seems to be obvious to everyone but the Labour leadership.
    And the Tory leadership.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Byronic said:

What if the EU don't agree to give us an extension at all? I think everyone is trying to be far too clever about the election date. As long as Boris does it in the form of a bill that as a fixed date in it, just go with it in October.
  • Options
    And really it's only a sign of how in-touch he is with the people. "Big girl's blouse" is so authentically demotic. Not at all the kind of language one expects to hear in second-rate sit coms from a decade or two ago.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Then Boris owns the extension - but has the ability during the campaign to say that he will change things.

However we won't have left on October 31st and Boris said we would come what may..
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Polls say he's doing fine to be fair.

Till you look at the subsample of Scottish remain voters who voted Green at the last election where he is universally reviled.
    So was brown. It was the idea of brown from his stint at 11 that made people think they had a good one when he first went into 10. But after observing him doing the number 10 stuff the opinion shifted to him being the worst ever. Boris needs poll leads based on experience of him tested in the job, which you can’t argue we have seen enough of yet.

For all the talk of Corbyn being a coward, Boris is the man who lacks confidence in himself. You don’t believe me today but keep an eye on that.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

I don't think that necessarily follows.

It's more that PB types will actually watch PMQs (not just the clips) and are also (on the whole) a little brighter than the average punter, thus less likely to be impressed with shallow bluster.

So Boris can be awful without his poll ratings suffering.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

A very good case can be made for stabilising Brexit and not being on the point of crashing out while am election is going on. That it's also in Labour's narrow interest is the political art of mating the public interest to your own.
  • Options
    Chris said:

And really it's only a sign of how in-touch he is with the people. "Big girl's blouse" is so authentically demotic. Not at all the kind of language one expects to hear in second-rate sit coms from a decade or two ago.
    Gallowgate's MP is Catherine McKinnell (Newcastle North).
  • Options
    FF43 said:

A very good case can be made for stabilising Brexit and not being on the point of crashing out while am election is going on. That it's also in Labour's narrow interest is the political art of mating the public interest to your own.
    It's more than a very good case, it's an unanswerable case. That's why Boris should have made that his policy right from the start. Instead he chose to dig himself the most enormous elephant trap and jump right into it.
  • Options

Byronic said:

There's excellent balance in PB.

There's the balance between those who hate this Conservative Prime Minister . . . and those who hate all Conservative Prime Ministers.
  • Options

Thanks Kinabalu.

Earlier I asked for sensible and impartial assessments of BJ's performance at PMQs and I got it. When you have been participating in the Site as long as I have you get to know who you can trust and it's really a pleasingly high number of posters, despite all the inevitable bluster and trolling.

:-)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Sturgeon rightly pointing out that Labour doesn't fancy a poll right now because its ratings are in the shit.

Aha, welcome to PB Boris...

:)

You were shite today BTW
  • Options

I don't think she will. Of course she'll want to lay into Labour for domestic electoral purposes, but I don't think there's any more to her tweets than that.

Or she really is worried about the court case, in which she needs the election sooner than later
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Can Boris declare a national emergency until October 31st?

I mean legally speaking is it in his power? I mean I know that isn't going to happen, but could he do it?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

The last couple of days have shown Johnson to be shambolic and useless. This will affect his dealings with others. It may not affect his polling too much because his supporters, astonishingly, don't care about shambolic and useless.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

There's excellent balance in PB.

There's the balance between those who hate this Conservative Prime Minister . . . and those who hate all Conservative Prime Ministers.
    It comes and goes, though. Yes, the centrists are in the ascendant at the moment. But it's not that long since every other comment seemed to be by Plato (RIP) who no-one would ever describe as a centrist. That doesn't make PB less balanced right now, it's just that on a site with a smallish commentariat, the consensus will shift from year to year.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    From that NS piece: Corbyn’s inner circle believed throughout the leadership race that they would be better off facing Johnson than Jeremy Hunt or any of his other rivals.

Most of the rest we've already said on pb.
  • Options
    As of right now, you can lay a 2019 election at 1.21 for substantial sums (I've taken all I want at present). A 2019 election is very possible but it doesn't look anything like a 1/5 shot to me right now.
  • Options

FF43 said:

It's more than a very good case, it's an unanswerable case. That's why Boris should have made that his policy right from the start. Instead he chose to dig himself the most enormous elephant trap and jump right into it.
    He's not fallen in, the Opposition are teetering on the edge panicking about how to avoid falling in to HIS trap.

Its a win/win for Boris. If Parliament compels an extension against him then that shows he needs an election and needs a majority. It won't be optional like it was in 2017.

If Parliament doesn't compel an extension then he's won.

Either way, what's the trap? You seem to think for some reason that voters who want this over with are going to look at Parliamentarians conniving to obstruct Brexit and blame the one person opposing that.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

It's more that PB types will actually watch PMQs (not just the clips) and are also (on the whole) a little brighter than the average punter, thus less likely to be impressed with shallow bluster.

I tend to find judgement can be better in politics when the minutiae aren't being followed too closely. Particularly hyperbolic minutiae that spring up as a result of 'bad' or gotcha moments in political debate. I laid the snot out of Kamala Harris when she was being hyped up everywhere with her 'amazing' first debate performance.
    Johnson tanking at PMQs ? I haven't watched it and doubt one session is particularly relevant - the big picture is that he is starting to collapse the Brexit party vote whilst the remain vote is very split.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Or she really is worried about the court case, in which she needs the election sooner than later
    I thought that wasn't scheduled until next year?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

It was all a bit tacky.
    I think that's perfectly possible. Many will see Rees-Mogg's lounging and Boris's swearing as sticking it to the worthies. The Tories are becoming something like Isis was a few years ago - the ultimate expression of one's detestation of civilizational norms. I'm not saying the Tories are going to start chopping heads off any time soon, but the lust for smashing things up is not dissimilar.
  • Options

Nicola's not playing.. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

“What did she know and when did she know it?”
  • Options
    Tory support would only go off the cliff if the Tories choose to extend, as May chose to do so.

If the extension is forced by the opposition with the Tories rallying [and expelling] anyone in favour of it then the Tories will be the lightning rod attracting everyone opposed to extension.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    Byronic said:

To be honest, so long as the government is of a Brexit persuasion, then the length of the extension is irrelevant.

Why?

Because there are two obvious outs:
    1. The extension is for five years. The Brexit government revokes Brexit... and then resubmits. It's now only two years to exit.
    2. The government tells the EU that it will simply repeal the European Communities Act, which takes the UK out of the EU (effectively) immediately.

The issue, really, is if there is a "notionally, but in reality not particularly Brexity" government. In which case it is used as an excuse to kick it into the long grass.

But if I look at the options available to the British people in 2019, they seem to be "No Deal Now!" or "Bollocks to Brexit".

So at least this year we should see clarity one way or the other. Either the Conservatives get a majority and take us out without a deal (probably a 60% chance), or a Referendum for Remain coalition get in (say 25%), in which case there'll likely be referendum between EFTA/EEA and Revoke.

There is, of course, a 15% chance that there is no workable government after the election, with the Tories losing the same number of seats to the LibDems and the SNP that they gain from Labour. In which case, we're all fucked.

So - as someone who wants to leave the EU, but in an orderly fashion, who do I vote for?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    David Cameron did PMQs more effectively than Boris Johnson, though there were times he appeared to pull his punches when LOTO. I often felt he lacked the ability to put Brown in his place. He could sound authoritative, commanding, however he did contribute to the mess over Brexit which the current PM is trying to clear up.

Boris Johnson appears to flounder over details, but the chlorinated chicken jibe seems to hold attention. I would be surprised if he made the same mistake as Theresa May in going for a long, drawn out General Election campaign. I'm still unsure if he really will be suitable for his current post.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Byronic said:

What if he goes to the E.U and says "I'm asking for an extension in bad faith, but if you give me an extension I will act badly and block everything in the E.U"

The E.U might say no thanks we dont want to give you an extension, we just want you out".
  • Options

I thought that wasn't scheduled until next year?

And she can only guarantee election is before then by voting for it now
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

IDS was awful but did surprisingly well at the ballot box because voters do not watch PMQs. Trouble is, MPs do watch PMQs and IDS was duly toppled. Is Boris the new Iain Duncan Smith?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Nicola showing Cowardly Corbyn how REAL opposition is done.

Go Nicola!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    nunuone said:

What if he goes to the E.U and says "I'm asking for an extension in bad faith, but if you give me an extension I will act badly and block everything in the E.U"

The E.U might say no thanks we dont want to give you an extension, we just want you out".

The EU would say "You won't be PM for long enough..."
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

I tend to find judgement can be better in politics when the minutiae aren't being followed too closely. Particularly hyperbolic minutiae that spring up as a result of 'bad' or gotcha moments in political debate. I laid the snot out of Kamala Harris when she was being hyped up everywhere with her 'amazing' first debate performance.
    Johnson tanking at PMQs ? I haven't watched it and doubt one session is particularly relevant - the big picture is that he is starting to collapse the Brexit party vote whilst the remain vote is very split.
    A colleague of mine asked me the other day "have the Lib Dems picked their new leader yet?"

If you're not in the bubble, the world of politics can look very different.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2019

FF43 said:

He's not fallen in, the Opposition are teetering on the edge panicking about how to avoid falling in to HIS trap.

Its a win/win for Boris. If Parliament compels an extension against him then that shows he needs an election and needs a majority. It won't be optional like it was in 2017.

Either way, what's the trap? You seem to think for some reason that voters who want this over with are going to look at Parliamentarians conniving to obstruct Brexit and blame the one person opposing that.
    The trap is that, just like Theresa May with March 29th but in even stronger terms, he's promised absolutely that we will leave on October 31st. Saying 'oh, but the big boys tied me to the bike shed so I couldn't do it' is not going to go well, Farage will stomp all over it. After all, if Boris didn't have the numbers in parliament, he shouldn't have promised it 'do or die', should he? He'll be shown up as a blustering untrustworthy fool - and amongst the voters he most needs to keep given that he's deliberately thrown away the support of the rest of us.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

To be honest, so long as the government is of a Brexit persuasion, then the length of the extension is irrelevant.

Why?

Because there are two obvious outs:
    1. The extension is for five years. The Brexit government revokes Brexit... and then resubmits. It's now only two years to exit.
    2. The government tells the EU that it will simply repeal the European Communities Act, which takes the UK out of the EU (effectively) immediately.

The issue, really, is if there is a "notionally, but in reality not particularly Brexity" government. In which case it is used as an excuse to kick it into the long grass.

But if I look at the options available to the British people in 2019, they seem to be "No Deal Now!" or "Bollocks to Brexit".

So at least this year we should see clarity one way or the other. Either the Conservatives get a majority and take us out without a deal (probably a 60% chance), or a Referendum for Remain coalition get in (say 25%), in which case there'll likely be referendum between EFTA/EEA and Revoke.

There is, of course, a 15% chance that there is no workable government after the election, with the Tories losing the same number of seats to the LibDems and the SNP that they gain from Labour. In which case, we're all fucked.

So - as someone who wants to leave the EU, but in an orderly fashion, who do I vote for?
    If the Tories lose the same number of seats to the LibDems and SNP as they gain from Labour then that's a pro-Leave majority with the DUP. The Tories who have defected/expelled would be replaced with pro-Leave MPs.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I don’t believe the SNP would cross the metaphorical picket and vote for a GE against the wishes of the rest of the opposition.
  • Options

As of right now, you can lay a 2019 election at 1.21 for substantial sums (I've taken all I want at present). A 2019 election is very possible but it doesn't look anything like a 1/5 shot to me right now.

It's more likely than not I'd say but it's no 80% shot.
  • Options

FF43 said:

If we are still in the EU at 00:00:00:001 on November 1st then Boris will have spaffed it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Nicola showing Cowardly Corbyn how REAL opposition is done.

Go Nicola!!!!!!! :D
    Sturgeon can smell a big Tory win in England and Wales whilst she cleans up in Scotland. Perfect for an Indyref.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

David Cameron did PMQs more effectively than Boris Johnson, though there were times he appeared to pull his punches when LOTO. I often felt he lacked the ability to put Brown in his place. He could sound authoritative, commanding, however he did contribute to the mess over Brexit which the current PM is trying to clear up.

Boris Johnson appears to flounder over details, but the chlorinated chicken jibe seems to hold attention. I would be surprised if he made the same mistake as Theresa May in going for a long, drawn out General Election campaign. I'm still unsure if he really will be suitable for his current post.

He'll be fine so long as no one asks him any awkward questions.

Believe in the Boris.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I don’t believe the SNP would cross the metaphorical picket and vote for a GE against the wishes of the rest of the opposition.

Oh really? ;)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    nunuone said:

Byronic said:

This is what will happen, so not only will Labour not get an election, they'll also be responsible for no deal on October 31st when an election could have stopped it. This is the corner Labour are in. Boris would far sooner take No Deal than a post October 31st election.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oh really? ;)
    We’ll see wont we!
  • Options
    The DUP don't seem to be too enthused by the idea of an early election (perhaps because their polling looks lacklustre as I noted downthread):

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/were-all-set-for-election-says-dups-foster-but-now-is-not-the-right-time-38461061.html
This discussion has been closed.