Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings & Johnson strategy could well be dubbed as the ch

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    If were back to shouting racist the Opposition havent got a plan.
    The opposition don't need a plan - they just need the phrase "Boris is racist" in the back of some people's minds.
    The people whose minds that might influence already have no intention of voting Boris. The only way I can see that working is if the return of PC name calling bollox gives more ammo to Farage. And then its anyones guess who benefits.
    So only people who are comfortable with racism vote for Boris?
    dont be silly

all those people who hate jews will be voting for Jezza

( you really do make it too easy )
    If you hate both do you go Lib Dem or Green?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

*Bercow klaxon*

Queen's Consent not required for extension bill.

I'm sure he thought long and hard on the subject.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Has the judgement in the Scottish case been published in full?
  • Options

Tabman said:

AndyJS said:
    That doesn’t make sense when its the generation who have done the best from globalization who are voting for Brexit!
    were simply protecting our childrens interests
    By shafting the economy, their FOM, and future livelihoods?
    By voting down the system which makes impoverishment possible. Are you for the burden of Uni fees ? Are you for lack of affordable housing ? Are you for the gig economy ?
    Are you coming out as a communist? I think you'll find impoverishment is still horribly possible under that system too.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

AndyJS said:
    That doesn’t make sense when its the generation who have done the best from globalization who are voting for Brexit!
    pulling up the ladder behind us. (Can't be bothered to do the strikethrough and ftfy malarkey.)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited September 2019
    In fact Labour already starting to reverse ferret
    tlg86 said:
    Too late. Damage has been done probably.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

I don't know if you have any children, but if you do, and they're over eighteen, why don't you ask them? Surely you've raised them well, and they are independent thinkers.

Say to them: "You'll hopefully have a few more decades on this Earth than me. I have my own strong views about this issue, but the consequences of this decision may last longer with you than they do me.

So, (son and/or daughter): how would you like me to vote? I'm not beholden to your answer, but I'd like to know. Persuade me."

Who knows, they may persuade you. But the answer is not paternalistically pretending you know best.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

It's been found that CorbynStarmer?! is a wee feartie.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

Test halted by bad weather in Manchester in September.

Why couldnt we have played in the Bahamas or Florida where they have nice weather!!

Said it this morning, a September Old Trafford Ashes Test is moronic.

No Old Trafford Ashes Test has got a positive result all century. This is just sad.
    Germans think that the British inventing a game that cannot be played in rain is moronic.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:
    pulling up the ladder behind us. (Can't be bothered to do the strikethrough and ftfy malarkey.)
    Speak for yourself, this twaddle that old people dont know or dont care is just that. its the centrist remainy internationalists who have got us here, the current settlement is theirs.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/judgesscotland/status/1169217481241702400?s=21
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:
    Good to see Corbyn taking back control from Starmer. Election still isn't a 1.2 shot though it does look highly likely now.
    I always lose money on "time of election" etc markets so this one will be no different :)
  • Options

Tabman said:

AndyJS said:
    By voting down the system which makes impoverishment possible. Are you for the burden of Uni fees ? Are you for lack of affordable housing ? Are you for the gig economy ?
    Are you coming out as a communist? I think you'll find impoverishment is still horribly possible under that system too.
    Im anti corporatism and pro reform.
  • Options

RobD said:

https://twitter.com/judgesscotland/status/1169217481241702400?s=21
    Much obliged. I read that each aspect of their case was dismissed outright, but was interested to read for myself.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

According the Guardian thousands of people are currently registering to vote, most of them young.

Green Party surge?
    Weekly? Daily? Hourly? By the minute? I think we should be told.
  • Options

I am starting to think there is a good chance that the government advises HMQ to withhold assent for the current bill on Friday. My thinking is that the government absolutely must leave on October 31 if it is to win the next election. If Royal assent is refused on Friday and then parliament is suspended early next week, then the government might be able to sit this out until 31 October. I operate on the basis that the government will do anything now to leave the EU, and it hasn't explicitly ruled this path out. Needless to say this pitches us into the mother of all constitutional crises, but I think that Johnson and Cummings are all in now and so that won't bother them.

I think if Johnson refused to submit the bill for royal assent there's a good chance he would be VONC'd and replaced by Corbyn. Or there would be a one-clause bill transferring the responsibility for submitting legislation to HM to, say, the Speaker or a Parliamentary official.
    But parliament will be prorogued from the beginning of next week until mid October, so how does parliament do any of that in time?
    Do it in mid-October. A VONC takes priority over everything else (except the Queen's Speech, I guess) and substituting a caretaker should be doable as fast as the politicians can haggle, which they also had the recess to do.
    So parliament comes back and debates the queen's speech for several days. Then Corbyn calls a vonc that the government loses. There are 14 days to form an alternative government. Even if Corbyn or Clarke or whoever announced they could form a government on day one, couldn't Johnson refuse to move until 14 days have passed, and by then we could be beyond Oct 31?
  • Options
    Given Cummings beat Osborne in the EU ref I doubt he ever was.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

How can the Queen's consent not be required?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    tlg86 said:
    Knew it. Starmer’s position was waaaay too clever and astute for Labour. There was no possibility of restraining magic gramps for weeks. And so they’ve thrown away their biggest advantage. Time. Idiots.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

https://twitter.com/stevepeers/status/1169252988734574592?s=21
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

Consent for the debate, not assent to the bill becoming law if asked.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

According the Guardian thousands of people are currently registering to vote, most of them young.

Green Party surge?
    Lib Dem surge, I suspect.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "What's about to happen?
    It's a packed afternoon in Parliament. So what's going to happen, and when?

3pm - MPs begin to debate the Brexit delay bill - called the European Union Withdrawal No 6 Bill;
    5pm - the first vote on the bill is expected;
    7pm - there is a second round of votes - and then, if it's approved, the bill moves on to the House of Lords for the next stage;
    8.30pm - if the bill is passed by MPs, the government is expected to table a motion asking to hold a general election, followed by a vote.
    (As ever, all these timings are subject to change!)"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49557734
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Given Cummings beat Osborne in the EU ref I doubt he ever was.
    I thought Cummings beat Straw Jnr?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    It is a fabulous way of distracting people away from really important things, and in particular proper democratic reform. Useful idiots go on about the "Establishment" and how said Establishment has got it in for Brexit. Nope, a large part of the Establishment loves Brexit. Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris think it is a wonderful way to keep the plebs wound up and moving toward a much more right wing agenda.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Scott_P said:

It looks worse the more I see of it. Last night I foolishly accepted the spin from some on here who said he was merely pressing his ear against an audio speaker, which is palpable nonsense. The man clearly intended to demonstrate beyond all doubt that a chap of his breeding can do what the hell he likes and the riff-raff would do well to take note.

I think the final which was the final straw for me last night was JRM. His high and snobby attitude and speech might be endearing in another place, but here, where actual jobs and economies matter it was misplaced and out of order.

I'm actually wondering if a period of Corbyn government, as disasterous as it would be in some areas wouldn't now be whats at least required, if certainly not desired.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1169177120515481600
    Negates 100% of the sympathy he was getting on here last night (much of it from opponents).
    Also makes the 'he's a tall bloke trying to listen to the speaker' brigade look like diddies.
    That has to be the most ridiculous and far-fetched excuse ever attempted on this Site!
    It was SeanT’s line last night. Mind you, from his rants, there may have been other lines (or wines) involved.
    No it wasn’t. It was mine.
  • Options

I am starting to think there is a good chance that the government advises HMQ to withhold assent for the current bill on Friday. My thinking is that the government absolutely must leave on October 31 if it is to win the next election. If Royal assent is refused on Friday and then parliament is suspended early next week, then the government might be able to sit this out until 31 October. I operate on the basis that the government will do anything now to leave the EU, and it hasn't explicitly ruled this path out. Needless to say this pitches us into the mother of all constitutional crises, but I think that Johnson and Cummings are all in now and so that won't bother them.

I think if Johnson refused to submit the bill for royal assent there's a good chance he would be VONC'd and replaced by Corbyn. Or there would be a one-clause bill transferring the responsibility for submitting legislation to HM to, say, the Speaker or a Parliamentary official.
    But parliament will be prorogued from the beginning of next week until mid October, so how does parliament do any of that in time?
    Do it in mid-October. A VONC takes priority over everything else (except the Queen's Speech, I guess) and substituting a caretaker should be doable as fast as the politicians can haggle, which they also had the recess to do.
    So parliament comes back and debates the queen's speech for several days. Then Corbyn calls a vonc that the government loses. There are 14 days to form an alternative government. Even if Corbyn or Clarke or whoever announced they could form a government on day one, couldn't Johnson refuse to move until 14 days have passed, and by then we could be beyond Oct 31?
    There has to always be a PM. The Benn bill binds "THE PM" so whoever is PM at the time has to sign the letter or be in breach of the act. If Johnson is still PM then he'll have to sign it whilst a Gov't is attempted to be formed.

If Johnson refuses to move after Corbyn has won an election and doesn't extend the legislation I expect Europe would give us an extension anyway. That would be absolubtely commensurate with NOT interfering in our domestic affairs since the British public are clearly voting for an extension if Tories + DUp doesn't have a Commons majority.
    If Johnson loses the election on the 14th then I expect he will sign. If he 'wins' then he'll probably sign too but will be able to whip his MPs (So as not to be in breach of the act) against so the letter won't take legal effect.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

I don't know if you have any children, but if you do, and they're over eighteen, why don't you ask them? Surely you've raised them well, and they are independent thinkers.

Say to them: "You'll hopefully have a few more decades on this Earth than me. I have my own strong views about this issue, but the consequences of this decision may last longer with you than they do me.

So, (son and/or daughter): how would you like me to vote? I'm not beholden to your answer, but I'd like to know. Persuade me."

Who knows, they may persuade you. But the answer is not paternalistically pretending you know best.
    I have 3 children 28, 26 and 23 if you seriously imagine I dont talk to them or understand their concerns your far off the mark. One voted remain, one voted leave and one couldnt see what the fuss was about. The last one ( the civil engineer ) was probably the most sensible of us all.

Im also married to a remainer who'll probably vote LD. So its not as if I dont see things from the other side.

And as for paternalism Ill be as paternalistic as I like thats the sodding point when youre a father,
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

L

AndyJS said:
    John Gray is just a typical anti-European who covers his arguments with an intellectual veneer.
    Yes, it's tired, transparent stuff.
  • Options

Tabman said:

AndyJS said:

So what anti-corporatist reforms would you suggest in, say, the smartphone industry?
  • Options
    I'd forgotten the chief wingnut in all this Tory black holing.

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1169254264759357441?s=20
  • Options

I don't think they have to wait to *debate* the Queen's Speech, they should be able to do it the next day. Johnson isn't supposed to sit there for 14 days after a new government becomes possible, he's supposed to resign as soon as it's clear, which they could prove with a single vote.on Day 1. I suppose he could refuse to resign and challenge The Queen to sack him...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    DougSeal said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

Consent for the debate, not assent to the bill becoming law if asked.
    Two different things - Queen's consent before (for bills affecting the royal prerogative) and royal assent after (for all bills).
  • Options
    My other half has a problem with her potential vote as of now, because we're in Mann's constituency and he is more reliable than Hammond at voting with the Tories atm :D

Will Mann be on my ballot paper at the next GE ?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

You might be mixing up consent and assent. The former is required for bills that infringe on the prerogative, for example.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

I don't think they have to wait to *debate* the Queen's Speech, they should be able to do it the next day. Johnson isn't supposed to sit there for 14 days after a new government becomes possible, he's supposed to resign as soon as it's clear, which they could prove with a single vote.on Day 1. I suppose he could refuse to resign and challenge The Queen to sack him...
    When I looked into this last week it turns out that a Queen's speech overrides everything else - as it's the start of a new Parliamentary session it takes precedence over everything else.
  • Options

I think he needs to resign when it is clear who has the confidence of the house. He also needs to sign the letter if he's the PM on that day come what may. He's obviously trying to get us out but isn't a constitutional vandal despite what many think right now.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Why couldnt we have played in the Bahamas or Florida where they have nice weather!!

No Old Trafford Ashes Test has got a positive result all century. This is just sad.
    Germans think that the British inventing a game that cannot be played in rain is moronic.
    Have the germans actually invented any games ?
  • Options
    eek said:

When I looked into this last week it turns out that a Queen's speech overrides everything else - as it's the start of a new Parliamentary session it takes precedence over everything else.
    Sure, but does that apply to the *debate* on the Queen's Speech?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

I have 3 children 28, 26 and 23 if you seriously imagine I dont talk to them or understand their concerns your far off the mark. One voted remain, one voted leave and one couldnt see what the fuss was about. The last one ( the civil engineer ) was probably the most sensible of us all.

Im also married to a remainer who'll probably vote LD. So its not as if I dont see things from the other side.

And as for paternalism Ill be as paternalistic as I like thats the sodding point when youre a father,
    What I have found most extraordinary since 2016 is the lack of political empathy shown by most people I’ve met that voted Remain, especially so versus most Leave voters I have met. It was a finely balanced and complex issue gang, nothing wrong with falling either side of the line!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

But still requires, royal assent
  • Options
    rawzerrawzer Posts: 189
    Spotify has just started playing me the 2019 Conservative manifesto...as leaked by Three Dog Night....

"If I were the king of the world:

Tell you what I'd do
    I'd throw away the cars and the bars and the war
    Make sweet love to you
    Sing it now
    Joy to the world
    All the boys and girls
    Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
    Joy to you and me
    You know I love the ladies
    Love to have my fun
    I'm a high life flyer and a rainbow rider
    A straight shootin' son-of-a-gun
    I said a straight shootin' son-of-a-gun"

I'd vote for that...

• Options
    A few 100 billion here and there and you are soon talking a bit of cash

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1169243487121920001?s=20
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,575
    edited September 2019
    nunuone said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

Is there a link to that?

(Found it)

I wonder if that decision by Berko is justiciable ;-)
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

eek said:

Drutt said:

The 'well' in this case would be a vote of no confidence in HMG. It was confirmed today that the matter is not justice able.
    Not in a Scottish court - tomorrow in an English court....
    No reason why the English judgement would be any different to the Scottish one.
    It'll be like VAR, refs covering for each other and refusing to disagree.
    The Court of Session's judgment will (subject to leave to appeal being granted) quite rightly form precedent for the High Court.

The judgment is pretty clear, by the way. It's on the court's website now. Lord Doherty rules for HMG on pretty much every point. Not the best one to have crowdfunded.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

eek said:

Sure, but does that apply to the *debate* on the Queen's Speech?
    Yes from my reading the whole debate does - as it's the final vote that kicks the session off.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

tlg86 said:
    I think there is damage all round. Boris will be seen as doing it out of desperation and playing games with elections. He is such a lying Cnut that people will not believe his sincerity when he claims he didn't want an election. It appears that even Mr. Thicky isn't going to be goaded into what is so blatantly a device to push through no-deal.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

That’s surprisingly sensible from Labour. Wait and delay. Make Boris go to Brussels and ask for the extension he never wanted. Terrible Optics for BJ

But there is one alternative outcome. What if Boris refuses to ask?

Then, as per the surrender bill, Brussels will impose an extension, to be rubber-stamped by parliament. What if it is 3 years? Or 5? 10? Where are we then?! And what if it has conditions?
    To be honest, so long as the government is of a Brexit persuasion, then the length of the extension is irrelevant.

Why?

Because there are two obvious outs:
    1. The extension is for five years. The Brexit government revokes Brexit... and then resubmits. It's now only two years to exit.
    2. The government tells the EU that it will simply repeal the European Communities Act, which takes the UK out of the EU (effectively) immediately.

The issue, really, is if there is a "notionally, but in reality not particularly Brexity" government. In which case it is used as an excuse to kick it into the long grass.

But if I look at the options available to the British people in 2019, they seem to be "No Deal Now!" or "Bollocks to Brexit".

So at least this year we should see clarity one way or the other. Either the Conservatives get a majority and take us out without a deal (probably a 60% chance), or a Referendum for Remain coalition get in (say 25%), in which case there'll likely be referendum between EFTA/EEA and Revoke.

There is, of course, a 15% chance that there is no workable government after the election, with the Tories losing the same number of seats to the LibDems and the SNP that they gain from Labour. In which case, we're all fucked.

So - as someone who wants to leave the EU, but in an orderly fashion, who do I vote for?
    If the Tories lose the same number of seats to the LibDems and SNP as they gain from Labour then that's a pro-Leave majority with the DUP. The Tories who have defected/expelled would be replaced with pro-Leave MPs.
    As long as the DUP don't lose many (or any) seats, of course. They may lose none, one, two, three, four, or five at current polling.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

over a century it'll be 50 zillion so what its magic money.....
  • Options

£25bn a year just for 'green crap'

Add on Schools/Hospitals/Welfare etc etc....

Where's that coming from?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Tabman said:

AndyJS said:

So what anti-corporatist reforms would you suggest in, say, the smartphone industry?
    personally Id have started all 5G licences in the far and remote ends of the UK. islands in Scotland, mountains in Wales, Hartlepool and told the phone cos they could get licences for London and the big cities until theyd completed the rural network.

reverse cherry picking.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    AndyJS said:
    John Gray is a great thinker. But he has a tendency to do what he accuses others of, being selective in his examples to make his point. (That is, he's guilty of falling in love with his narrative, and seeking out evidence that supports it.)
  • Options
    Drutt said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

eek said:

Drutt said:

The 'well' in this case would be a vote of no confidence in HMG. It was confirmed today that the matter is not justice able.
    The Court of Session's judgment will (subject to leave to appeal being granted) quite rightly form precedent for the High Court.

The judgment is pretty clear, by the way. It's on the court's website now. Lord Doherty rules for HMG on pretty much every point. Not the best one to have crowdfunded.
    Yeah but there plenty of vexious complainants with cash.
  • Options
    MattW said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

Is there a link to that?
    Ha any bill ever not needed royal assent. The interregnum is a legal fiction, remember.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

What I have found most extraordinary since 2016 is the lack of political empathy shown by most people I’ve met that voted Remain, especially so versus most Leave voters I have met. It was a finely balanced and complex issue gang, nothing wrong with falling either side of the line!
    Clearly you have unbiased view! My experience, surprisingly is quite the reverse. Well whodathunkit?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    I have been hiding behind the couch for ages. Am I allowed to ask for brief precis of what's going on now?

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    If I were Boris Johnson, I would rather resign than take the Brexit extension bill to the Queen.

In this way, he avoids asking for Royal assent, and avoids getting any blame for an extension.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

You might be mixing up consent and assent. The former is required for bills that infringe on the prerogative, for example.
    That explains it!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

Anecdotal experience that's not easily reconcilable with the abundant polling showing that (eg) Leavers would accept Northern Ireland going up in flames, Scottish independence or a member of their family losing their job for Brexit.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

I have been hiding behind the couch for ages. Am I allowed to ask for brief precis of what's going on now?

Good afternoon, everyone.

Australia are 98-2
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Battleships?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

She is right though. 30 million quid in the arena of public spending isn't even pocket change – it is absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If I were Boris Johnson, I would rather resign than take the Brexit extension bill to the Queen.

In this way, he avoids asking for Royal assent, and avoids getting any blame for an extension.

That is, I think, what he will ultimately do if forced to, somewhere around 25 October. I'm sure the symbolism of St Crispin's Day would not be lost on him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Drutt said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

eek said:

Drutt said:

Highly persuasive, although not technically binding nevertheless it would be very surprising if the High Court ruled the other way to the CoS. I hope so anyway. I'm a dripping wet Liberal but I would rather our victories came politically rather than judicially.
  • Options

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

Anecdotal experience that's not easily reconcilable with the abundant polling showing that (eg) Leavers would accept Northern Ireland going up in flames, Scottish independence or a member of their family losing their job for Brexit.
    What about “kiss a Tory” type polls? :D
  • Options
    ICYMI

Here's what's happening today (h/t Beth Rigby)

1. Anti-No Deal bill - passes
    2. Boris motions for a GE - Fails cus Labour too frit.
    3. Err, that's it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

rcs1000 said:

That is, I think, what he will ultimately do if forced to, somewhere around 25 October. I'm sure the symbolism of St Crispin's Day would not be lost on him.
    But then he doesn't get to be World King any more...
  • Options

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

Clearly you have unbiased view! My experience, surprisingly is quite the reverse. Well whodathunkit?
    You must be the exception

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-remainers-more-bothered-by-differing-views-in-family-poll-shows-h6kh2vrp7
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    rcs1000 said:

If I were Boris Johnson

O. M. G.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:
    Speak for yourself, this twaddle that old people dont know or dont care is just that. its the centrist remainy internationalists who have got us here, the current settlement is theirs.

There is a high possibility that very old people largely supported Remain. These were the ones that experienced war first hand rather than the spoilt babyboomer generation after them whose only experience of conflict was what they read in war comics
  • Options

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

You love leavers it just you wouldnt want your family to marry one

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-remainers-more-bothered-by-differing-views-in-family-poll-shows-h6kh2vrp7
  • Options
    RobD said:

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

Given the age differences between your average socialist and your average Tory, you can understand why not many of them would have grandfather fetishes.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

rcs1000 said:

Gemma Collins reveals James Argent's weight ruined their sex life and admits she 'fancies him more' since he slimmed down for Sink Or Swim
    err I mean isn't the key date the 19th ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Fallen from grace, at least he has kept his head.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1169257747847798784
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What the ? When did May's deal come back from the dead ?!
  • Options
    MattW said:

eristdoof said:

Battleships?
    A game in which you aim to sink more of your own ships than the enemy's.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    If GE not called until after PM extends on Sat 19 Oct then earliest GE would be Thurs 28 Nov.

Vote in Commons on Mon 21 Oct, then allow two days for formal dissolution and proclamation by Queen, then 25 working days.

That does seem like an awfully long time to leave it - and how keen would everyone be on a GE so far into winter?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    So this is my understanding of what happens next. I would appreciate comments because I am still very confused.

1) Extension bill passes the Commons today
    2) Government delays it in the Lords as much as they can
    3) Bill passes Lords
    4) VONC held, government 'loses'
    5) Election held mid-October

Then two likely results:

6a) Govt wins a majority on No Deal platform
    7a) Extension bill repealed
    8a) EU decides to compromise or not, but probably not
    9a) We leave the EU end of October

Or:

6b) Another hung parliament
    7b) PM forced to extend
    8b) Boris presumably resigns
    9b) Corbyn tries to form a government, fails
    10b) Someone else tries and Corbyn gives in
    11b) We extend for six months
    12b) Corbyn VONCs GONAFAE
    13b) No one can form a government
    14b) New election?

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

The Lib Dems have the opportunity of a lifetime to reach out to the real centre ground now rather than being Labour Jr.
  • Options

Tabman said:

AndyJS said:

personally Id have started all 5G licences in the far and remote ends of the UK. islands in Scotland, mountains in Wales, Hartlepool and told the phone cos they could get licences for London and the big cities until theyd completed the rural network.

reverse cherry picking.
    And the infrastructure would have been built using which British suppliers?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

There is a high possibility that very old people largely supported Remain. These were the ones that experienced war first hand rather than the spoilt babyboomer generation after them whose only experience of conflict was what they read in war comics
    personally I grew up in NI in the seventies.

have you ever been called out in the evening to shovel up the remains of your town centre after a bomb blast ?.
  • Options

RobD said:

moonshine said:

AndyJS said:
    Which is a glib answer.

Given the age differences between your average socialist and your average Tory, you can understand why not many of them would have grandfather fetishes.
    Don’t tell @Byronic that.
  • Options
    Blimey, this is a tiring and demoralising day for someone of my politics. On the bright side, I was heartened to see how close public opinion is regarding no-deal https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49551893 * - still learning how to paste more than the link - doh!. I expected much less in favour.

If we consider that a proxy for the coming election, seems to me the winner will whichever side of the debate (TBP/Tories vs Rebel alliance) can, by doing a deal or otherwise, manage to garner their voters most efficiently.

* 38% in favour, 44% against
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Has there been any quicker fall? :o A day after he was re-selected, too.
  • Options
    Mr alanbrooke (note lack of punctuation)… I have a few friends who voted Leave. They are quite pleasant people who when they were younger I would have regarded as "young-fogeys". I guess many remain orientated people think they might dislike Leave voters is because people voted Leave in the full knowledge they were supporting the prejudice and xenophobia of Nigel Farage, which ain't a terribly good look if you believe such things to be repulsive.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Tabman said:

AndyJS said:

reverse cherry picking.
    And the infrastructure would have been built using which British suppliers?
    which piecee of the infrastructure ?
  • Options
    That article gets recycled about once a month, often by political studies academics who should know better. So far as I can see there is no controlling for age. It's as likely as not that what you're seeing is a function of age, not Brexicity.

Crofflers will have adult children where the question of who they might marry is a real one and where parents have already had to make mental compromises about possible partners (whether about tattoos, political views or use of cutlery). Millennials will either not have children or will have babes in arms, for whom the question is entirely theoretical. The same question means entirely different things to different audiences.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    What the ? When did May's deal come back from the dead ?!
    There were some murmurings by some Lab MPs yesterday.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    MikeL said:

If GE not called until after PM extends on Sat 19 Oct then earliest GE would be Thurs 28 Nov.

Vote in Commons on Mon 21 Oct, then allow two days for formal dissolution and proclamation by Queen, then 25 working days.

That does seem like an awfully long time to leave it - and how keen would everyone be on a GE so far into winter?

This is a betting site, then bet on February March or April. The added bonus then of course is public have had time to take a good look at Boris and his government in action.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Gabs2 said:

So this is my understanding of what happens next. I would appreciate comments because I am still very confused.

1) Extension bill passes the Commons today
    2) Government delays it in the Lords as much as they can
    3) Bill passes Lords
    4) VONC held, government 'loses'
    5) Election held mid-October

Then two likely results:

6a) Govt wins a majority on No Deal platform
    7a) Extension bill repealed
    8a) EU decides to compromise or not, but probably not
    9a) We leave the EU end of October

Or:

6b) Another hung parliament
    7b) PM forced to extend
    8b) Boris presumably resigns
    9b) Corbyn tries to form a government, fails
    10b) Someone else tries and Corbyn gives in
    11b) We extend for six months
    12b) Corbyn VONCs GONAFAE
    13b) No one can form a government
    14b) New election?

6c. Corbyn resigns after failing to take Labour to victory.
    9c. New Labour leader attempts to form coalition.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

personally I grew up in NI in the seventies.

have you ever been called out in the evening to shovel up the remains of your town centre after a bomb blast ?.
    I spent quite a bit of time there in the early 90s, but never had to use a shovel thank fully.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

Just had a very unpleasant experience. Was innocently listening to the calming tones of Sarah Montague at lunchtime, when I heard a repulsive blast from the past. That ginormous turd Michael Forsyth, who the voters of Stirling soundly dismissed in 1997, was on my bloody radio, splurging his usual lies, hatred and bile.

This is why the House of Lords has to go. Reptiles like Forsyth suck at the taxpayers’ tweets for decades after losing elections. The vile serpent had the audacity to present himself as a champion of democracy.

A bit strong Stuart. I don't know Lord F but the feedback I've received is that he is a very courteous and extremely bright guy. Came from a generation of Tories influenced by the Manchester school of economists at St Andrews in the 70s. An interesting fellow and not to be dismissed in these kind of terms, however much you may disagree with him. He is also, unassailably, an authentic working-class Scot.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Gemma Collins reveals James Argent's weight ruined their sex life and admits she 'fancies him more' since he slimmed down for Sink Or Swim
    err I mean isn't the key date the 19th ?
    LOL.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    dr_spyn said:

MattW said:

eristdoof said:

Battleships?
    A game in which you aim to sink more of your own ships than the enemy's.
    That's a good definition of a no deal Brexit
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Gabs2 said:

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

kle4 said:

*Bercow klaxon*

That explains it!
    Not quite as clear as that.

New Lab used "Queens Consent" to kill some of Tam Dalyell's efforts wrt Iraq.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/15/ministers-exploited-royal-veto-legislation

(It does not help the Guardian inserting some opinions into the news, suggesting this is a 'royal veto on new laws' but hey ... the Guardian).

I'm not really clear that the Speaker has the authority to make that ruling.
This discussion has been closed.