Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings & Johnson strategy could well be dubbed as the ch

Comments

• Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    I think giving evidence as to why you asked HMQ for prorogation would rather undermine your case that the reasoning behind asking HMQ for prorogation was not justiciable.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Scott_P said:
    Surely the "Uh well ackshually the article was saying to not ban the burkha" response didn't fall flat on its ass?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Boris and Cummings need to tone down this thing of hectoring Jezza into agreeing a GE. It smacks of tantrums and impotent panic. The public don't understand the intricacies of the FTPA either so will just be bewildered as to why Jezza is being picked on.
    The same Corbyn who has spent the last 2 years demanding a general election now a scaredy cat coward when offered one
    Next week it will be:-

Boris - we want an election
    Corbyn - now accidental No Deal isn't an issue happy to have one. Just recall Parliament
    Boris - um, well, ummm
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited September 2019
    Well that was a dreadful performance by Boris

I really have doubts that he can win a majority, indeed whether he can survive the aftermath of an indecisive GE
  • Options
    I do not relish going into bat on the government’s behalf here, but there is increasingly a bit of an echo chamber on here and in the tweets I see posted.

Yes, the government has fallen apart. Yes, it’s all a bit of a mess. Yes, Johnson is a prat.

BUT

There will soon be a dissolution and election (how soon is up to Labour). Boris is going into that election targeting a very different type of vote than is (sorry to generalise) largely represented on this site or in the media. He is going for the “I voted to leave and you haven’t done it yet” crowd. He is running, as people have said, a parliament v people election. I don’t think he’s too bothered about what parliament thinks about him right now.

The big question is whether that will be enough to see him home and dry but we should not count him out. He is currently ahead in the polls by varying margins.

I do think there is an element of complacency creeping in, that he will drop the ball like TMay did and lose the election. That is far from certain.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Boris and Cummings need to tone down this thing of hectoring Jezza into agreeing a GE. It smacks of tantrums and impotent panic. The public don't understand the intricacies of the FTPA either so will just be bewildered as to why Jezza is being picked on.
    The same Corbyn who has spent the last 2 years demanding a general election now a scaredy cat coward when offered one

Corbyn - now accidental No Deal isn't an issue happy to have one. Just recall Parliament
    Boris - um, well, ummm
    Will there be a next week
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

I do not relish going into bat on the government’s behalf here, but there is increasingly a bit of an echo chamber on here and in the tweets I see posted.

Yes, the government has fallen apart. Yes, it’s all a bit of a mess. Yes, Johnson is a prat.

BUT

There will soon be a dissolution and election (how soon is up to Labour). Boris is going into that election targeting a very different type of vote than is (sorry to generalise) largely represented on this site or in the media. He is going for the “I voted to leave and you haven’t done it yet” crowd. He is running, as people have said, a parliament v people election. I don’t think he’s too bothered about what parliament thinks about him right now.

The big question is whether that will be enough to see him home and dry but we should not count him out. He is currently ahead in the polls by varying margins.

I do think there is an element of complacency creeping in, that he will drop the ball like TMay did and lose the election. That is far from certain.

Matthew Syed wrote about precisely this in Monday’s Times

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TheSaj sold his principles for a job, handed his gonads to Cummings to hold on to, and now his first (and last) big set piece speech

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1169219236650246144
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

BUT

Boris is going for an electorate that isn't Conservative by nature, I'm not that electorate will vote for him and he does seem to be scaring more centralist Conservatives away.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2019
    Anyone in favour of women being subjugated to wear burkas is a wrong un.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Charles said:

kamski said:

if it was in any sense a "matter of confidence" then the Prime Minister would immediately resign having lost the vote.

Important to distinguish between party and government

Boris said. I am leader of the party. This is my policy. If you don’t agree then there’s the door

He won a clear majority of Tory MPs.

Those that don’t support the leadership on this fundamental policy can exit stage left
    Agree, the conservatives can withdraw the whip from whoever they want for whatever reason (just as May could, maybe should, have withdrawn the whip from Johnson and others when they voted against her government's most important bill). I'm just objecting to the argument that this has to happen to rebels on this occasion because the bill in parliament was "a matter of confidence".
    It was a matter of confidence, the PM said so before the vote.

And the idea the PM resigns following losing a vote of confidence is a total myth. Tradition is an election following a loss of confidence and under the terms of the FTPA the PM is tabling an election motion.
    "Tradition is an election following a loss of confidence"
    - There have been a grand total of 3 lost confidence votes since the beginning of the 20th Century. 2 were followed by dissolution and election. 1 was followed by the Govt resigning and an alternative government being formed.
    - There have been no lost confidence votes since the FTPA, so no tradition applies.

If it was really supposed to be an effective matter of confidence Johnson would either resign, or call an immediate vote of no confidence in his own government (or has he promised to resign as soon as fails to get the 2 thirds for his election motion to win?)

Also when did the PM say the vote was a "matter of confidence"? I can't find it.
    And, of course, the tradition was originally for a change of Government following a loss of confidence vote.

It wasn't until Pitt the Younger threw out precedent that the alternative even became used.
    And that was after he responded to a loss of confidence vote with, essentially, "That's sad, never mind, let's continue as if nothing's happened". And lost another. And then another, and only then said, "Fine, if I haven't got the confidence of this House, I'll just have to get another one; by the way, the King agreed to let me dissolve Parliament, goodbye, suckers"

[I may have paraphrased somewhat]
  • Options

There's some juicy spelling of juicy, juicier and juiciest there...
    isam said:

Oh Boy.... Boris just used the S-word.

Big_G to resign his conservative membership today?
    I published my resignation letter early this morning on this forum
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing (publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter) awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    Absolutely this!
    It’s the equivalent of taking pictures of your food and putting it on Instagram, the sort of things people on here roll their eyes at
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Foxy said:
    I noted Boris also referred to Gauke and Grieve as "my right honourable friend".
  • Options
    Bercow quite right over the Chancellor statement
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Foxy said:
    I noted Boris also referred to Gauke and Grieve as "my right honourable friend".
    TBF, May did that with Elphicke when he was on the naughty step.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    edited September 2019

In fairness, Boris is still a novice at PMQs so may yet grow into the role. He should have taken a leaf out of Dave's book - start off looking conciliatory and statesmanlike. You can then expand your repertoire as your confidence grows.

This seems like sage advice.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

She’s sitting between Ken Clarke and Antoinette Sandbach, two proper Tories.
    She sat next to Ken Clarke yesterday. She might not have rebelled last night and she might not rebel tonight, but she couldn't be giving a clearer signal of her sympathies.
    Her time in Downing Street made it pretty clear.

Shame she wasn't purged with the rest of them last night.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    TGOHF said:

I deplore the burka and niqab, but you do not help the victims of systemic misogyny by abusing them further.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Hehe
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    This is a very dangerous sentiment setting in. I think the role of an impartial Speaker is finished.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1169220198093770752
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    No - he was correct this time
  • Options

BUT

This.

Also hearing PMQs reminded me of Trump in the debates. It was awful: He ignored the questions and just waffled and repeated talking points.

But he kept hitting the talking points. And the talking points were tested to reach the voters he needed, whereas the "gives cogent answers and answers the sodding question" vote is probably not a key swing demographic.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Javid is worse than Johnson
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    HYUFD said:

Johnson has Lost control of Brexit.
    Johnson has Lost control of his Party.
    Johnson has Lost control of the House.
    Johnson has lost control of the election date.
    Johnson has lost many One Nation Tory MPs and Voters
    All on day 1.
    HYUFD great day for Johnson!!

Johnson has a 10 point lead in the latest poll which also has most voters opposing further extension, today the Court of Session backed him proroguing Parliament, the momentum is all Boris
    The court did not back the prorouging. They said it was not an issue for that court to decide.
  • Options

I really have doubts that he can win a majority, indeed whether he can survive the aftermath of an indecisive GE

You are no longer a Tory but a LD in all but name now so no surprise there
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

:D
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

HYUFD said:
    No - he was correct this time
    He simply loves being centre of attention.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

I deplore the burka and niqab, but you do not help the victims of systemic misogyny by abusing them further.
    Nobody helps these victims in the Uk - ridicule is a lesser crime than systematically appeasing their oppressors.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Will he do the same when Blackford gives it the usual union delenda est ? I bet not.
  • Options
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Boris - um, well, ummm
    BJ admitted he wanted GE in a slip at PMQs. He was saying he did not want an election yesterday and even earlier in pmqs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And your a disgrace for picking on lifelong sensible Tories just to support a buffoon
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

BUT

This.

Also hearing PMQs reminded me of Trump in the debates. It was awful: He ignored the questions and just waffled and repeated talking points.

But he kept hitting the talking points. And the talking points were tested to reach the voters he needed, whereas the "gives cogent answers and answers the sodding question" vote is probably not a key swing demographic.
    The thing is that many of those who voted Leave and "want it done" are never going to vote Conservative due to other reasons. They may vote BXP. They may vote LD. They may vote Labour. Just as there are ex Tory voters who could never vote Labour, there is no way to recreate the Leave coalition under a Tory banner.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Gabs2 said:

This is a very dangerous sentiment setting in. I think the role of an impartial Speaker is finished.

it;s been finished for a while now. Whether Bercows successor can restore the position remains to be seen.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

BUT

This.

Quite amazing really. The Tory backbencher laid into him about Cummings in an extremely angry tone, using a Thatcher quote, and he thanked her before saying he would deliver Brexit by Oct 31 unlike Corbyn!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    HYUFD said:

And you are no longer a Tory. Because Tories want a no deal Brexit and you don't want a no deal Brexit. You want to remain and voted for remain hence you are a diehard remainer. You have precious little in common with the current Tory party.

Go find yourself another party because the Tories espouse a policy, their flagship policy, that you vehemently disagree with.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    This is a frankly embarrassing performance by the Saj.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And you are no longer a Tory. Because Tories want a no deal Brexit and you don't want a no deal Brexit. You want to remain and voted for remain hence you are a diehard remainer. You have precious little in common with the current Tory party.

Go find yourself another party because the Tories espouse a policy, their flagship policy, that you vehemently disagree with.
    I back Brexit Deal or No Deal any Remainer who does and respects the Leave vote is still a Tory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Absolutely, if Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart are not conservatives in your eyes it is not they or I who have lost our marbles, but you have become a Farage sycophant
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2019

In fairness, Boris is still a novice at PMQs so may yet grow into the role. He should have taken a leaf out of Dave's book - start off looking conciliatory and statesmanlike. You can then expand your repertoire as your confidence grows.

That is true. It was Boris's first time and the noise is intense -- which is why even frontbenchers just feet away need to lean back and listen to the loudspeakers built into the benches. Ironically, the barracking started as a Conservative tactic to assist Mrs Thatcher.

But as well as the noise, Boris has the May/Brown problem that if you've spent your life ducking interviews and debates, you rise to the top with no experience in answering questions. When was the last time you saw Boris being interviewed on television or in the papers?

As others have said, it will be edited to 30 seconds for the news. CCHQ will get 30 seconds (maybe not this week!) they can send to their supporters of the PM's 6th question rant, and Labour will have 30 seconds of Corbyn snookering Boris with an unanswerable question about the number N3 night bus route through Penge.

But as IDS found out, too many PMQs flops can be career-ending.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

The bikini, the short skirt and black stockings also fall into the category of systemic misoginy and oppression of women for mens pleasure.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Gabs2 said:

Thanks for this.

What else is good on Guido today?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And your a disgrace for picking on lifelong sensible Tories just to support a buffoon
    BigG has already resigned his party membership, is a Republican and opposes Brexit Deal or No Deal.

He is now by definition a LD not a Tory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What's the difference exactly ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

She sat next to Ken Clarke yesterday. She might not have rebelled last night and she might not rebel tonight, but she couldn't be giving a clearer signal of her sympathies.

Purge them all!!

Life in the bunker with HYUFD will be fun

"Shit or Bust funniest thing ever"

"Yes Boris really showed em"
  • Options

You have doubts that he can defend the stockpiling of body bags and the prospect of NHS consultants queueing up to point out that his policy is threatening the lives of his core constituency?

For heaven's sake, BELIEVE IN THE BORIS!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

I back Brexit Deal or No Deal any Remainer who does and respects the Leave vote is still a Tory
    I dont think people want to be associated with your kind of Tory party! :wink:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is a frankly embarrassing performance by the Saj.

It is dire
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Tories are having a Corn Laws moment.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Chris said:

You have doubts that he can defend the stockpiling of body bags and the prospect of NHS consultants queueing up to point out that his policy is threatening the lives of his core constituency?

For heaven's sake, BELIEVE IN THE BORIS!
    To put some positive spin on it; he's better than the chancellor.
  • Options
    This is a Potemkin spending review.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

The bikini, the short skirt and black stockings also fall into the category of systemic misoginy and oppression of women for mens pleasure.
    Don’t forget make up, shampoo and toothbrushes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    In fairness Bercow was letting the Saj ramble on but had to intervene when Ken Clarke raised a point of order. Now he no longer has the whip it will be interesting to see what Ken gets up to.
  • Options
    Was following the Cricket, so can somebody tell me how the Blonde Bombshell got on? Sensible and impartial answers only please.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

You don't back Brexit deal or no deal. You back remain. Just because the party changed from underneath you doesn't mean that your opinions changed. You are a remainer. A diehard Remainer because on the one occasion that it mattered, the one time that you were able to register your vote formally, you voted Remain. You are, if I may be so bold as to use your own vernacular, a traitor.

And it doesn't please me to say this because I know you to be someone of the utmost integrity who would under no circumstances contemplate floating in the political wind and changing their mind on matters of principle.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Been working all day. I take it everything went well for dear Boris?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Purge them all!!

Life in the bunker with HYUFD will be fun

"Shit or Bust funniest thing ever"

"Yes Boris really showed em"
    A 10% Tory lead with Boris in the latest poll suggests the party is fine with those who actually believe in respecting the Leave vote, if you don't go to the LDs on a fast track ticket
  • Options
    isam said:

BUT

Matthew Syed wrote about precisely this in Monday’s Times

Yes and we have debated the social diversity problem before, especially with reference to Cameron's Cabinet of chums. Blair knew he had a problem so had Prescott on hand; Maggie had Willie. Boris's government has six members who went to the same school as him.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Absolutely, if Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart are not conservatives in your eyes it is not they or I who have lost our marbles, but you have become a Farage sycophant
    No disrespect Big G but if youre on a cruise shouldnt you be relaxing and enjoying it ? Really nothing much will have changed on here by the time you get back, nor can anyone on this site change much. Give Mrs G a break :-)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

This is a Potemkin spending review.

This is a Potemkin administration.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

BigG has already resigned his party membership, is a Republican and opposes Brexit Deal or No Deal.

After last night, surely we're getting to the point where still being a Tory is a mark of certifiable insanity?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

Neither the Tories nor LDs are Socialist but the Tories believe in Brexit, want more immigration controls and are more socially conservative and tougher on law and order
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Johnson is someone who thinks we can leave the EU without it affecting our relationships with European countries, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that he thinks he can kick people out of the party and still count on their loyalty.
  • Options
    Sajid's job must be to look worse than Jester Johnson
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Weren't you telling us earlier the party was entirely united ?
  • Options

Was following the Cricket, so can somebody tell me how the Blonde Bombshell got on? Sensible and impartial answers only please.

I admire your faith in human nature :-)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Been working all day. I take it everything went well for dear Boris?

Corbyn is frit and Labour like their women forced to cover up was the summary.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

After last night, surely we're getting to the point where still being a Tory is a mark of certifiable insanity?
    Doesn’t any POV you don’t share fall into that category?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    This is exactly the reason Leave won and the reason why Mr. Johnson will win a GE. An absolute lack of respect for those who are "Less than us". See Emily Thornberry. People understand that they are despised and kick back in any way they can.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I support TM deal, always have always will and I am not a liberal democrat.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    TGOHF said:

Agreed - but words 8 to 10 are surplus to requirements.

Unless you think other forms are OK?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Neither the Tories nor LDs are Socialist but the Tories believe in Brexit, want more immigration controls and are more socially conservative and tougher on law and order
    Are you going to make being gay illegal again?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

The pure core might be the 34 "Spartans" who voted against the withdrawal agreement in the third vote. It will be a base form which to build for the 2024 general election.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it is a mark of respecting the will of the people
  • Options

BUT

This.

This is how Blair was successful. Answer the questions you want to hear.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Foxy said:
    Johnson is someone who thinks we can leave the EU without it affecting our relationships with European countries, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that he thinks he can kick people out of the party and still count on their loyalty.
    I heard Grieve come as close as it is possible without actually shouting "LIAR" in his face, tell Boris he was a liar, with his question on the prorogation.

Classic.

I wonder how or if it will matter if the liar tag sticks to Boris. Perhaps not in these febrile times, just one more ingredient in the rancid pot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You didn't write Boris' PMQ gags, by any chance ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Unnecessarily unpleasant. You really are quite a dreadful man.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Of course not but that does not mean gay marriage should be imposed on places of worship
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

Unnecessarily unpleasant. You really are quite a dreadful man.
    Annoying the right people then and it was a statement of fact, no personal animosity at all, I have nothing against BigG personally even if he is a LD
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF said:

Agreed - but words 8 to 10 are surplus to requirements.

Unless you think other forms are OK?
    Like being banned from driving, working, showing their hair or dating other ethnicities ?

I’m against that too. Are you ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Of course not but that does not mean gay marriage should be imposed on places of worship
    What if polling showed people wanted it to be?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No disrespect Big G but if youre on a cruise shouldnt you be relaxing and enjoying it ? Really nothing much will have changed on here by the time you get back, nor can anyone on this site change much. Give Mrs G a break :-)
    It seems that it is holiday season on PB - cruises, typing on iPads by pools in 35 degrees. Wasn't Malcolm on a cruise the other day?

Don't we all live the life.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Sadly she was part of the unity.
This discussion has been closed.