Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings & Johnson strategy could well be dubbed as the ch

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:
    I noted Boris also referred to Gauke and Grieve as "my right honourable friend".
    Johnson is someone who thinks we can leave the EU without it affecting our relationships with European countries, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to learn that he thinks he can kick people out of the party and still count on their loyalty.
    I heard Grieve come as close as it is possible without actually shouting "LIAR" in his face, tell Boris he was a liar, with his question on the prorogation.

Classic.

I wonder how or if it will matter if the liar tag sticks to Boris. Perhaps not in these febrile times, just one more ingredient in the rancid pot.
    This is already factored in, only Blair can outTeflon him.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited September 2019

Javid is worse than Johnson

Don't know about that but certainly not CoE material.

Wonder why he got the job?

Is it because he was the only bald man in cabinet and Johnson wanted to show he was not prejudiced?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This is a frankly embarrassing performance by the Saj.

Whodathunkit?

Johnson makes May & Corbyn look good.

Javid makes Brown look witty and scintillating....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well that was a dreadful performance by Boris

I really have doubts that he can win a majority, indeed whether he can survive the aftermath of an indecisive GE

You are no longer a Tory but a LD in all but name now so no surprise there
    And your a disgrace for picking on lifelong sensible Tories just to support a buffoon
    BigG has already resigned his party membership, is a Republican and opposes Brexit Deal or No Deal.

He is now by definition a LD not a Tory
    After last night, surely we're getting to the point where still being a Tory is a mark of certifiable insanity?
    No it is a mark of respecting the will of the people
    Did they really not teach you about punctuation at that venerable school you went to?

Was it so old that it was founded before punctuation was invented, and never kept up with the times?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

HYUFD said:
    In fairness Bercow was letting the Saj ramble on but had to intervene when Ken Clarke raised a point of order. Now he no longer has the whip it will be interesting to see what Ken gets up to.
    People don't seem to understand that if the Tory ministers can't do and say whatever they want regardless of procedure or the rules, and someone pulls them up on it, it's unforgivable bias.
  • Options

Was following the Cricket, so can somebody tell me how the Blonde Bombshell got on? Sensible and impartial answers only please.

Poorly. He looks out of his depth. I hope my answer is sensible and impartial given my views on Brexit. I would love Boris to succeed but he has given no indication so far that he has what is needed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If were back to shouting racist the Opposition havent got a plan.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2019
    Nobody's mentioned Jo Swinson, who I didn't really rate before but I thought she was surprisingly and ferociously effective. Is it just me?
  • Options
    Interesting that Javid has announced +5% for the Ministry of Justice - courts, etc. Maybe someone is listening to Cyclefree?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I really have doubts that he can win a majority, indeed whether he can survive the aftermath of an indecisive GE

And your a disgrace for picking on lifelong sensible Tories just to support a buffoon
    BigG has already resigned his party membership, is a Republican and opposes Brexit Deal or No Deal.

I support TM deal, always have always will and I am not a liberal democrat.
    You back extension over No Deal Brexit, you can still prefer a Deal but oppose further extension and be a Tory but if not you are now really a LD
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely, if Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart are not conservatives in your eyes it is not they or I who have lost our marbles, but you have become a Farage sycophant
    No disrespect Big G but if youre on a cruise shouldnt you be relaxing and enjoying it ? Really nothing much will have changed on here by the time you get back, nor can anyone on this site change much. Give Mrs G a break :-)
    It seems that it is holiday season on PB - cruises, typing on iPads by pools in 35 degrees. Wasn't Malcolm on a cruise the other day?

Don't we all live the life.
    pah, some of us have to work

occasionally :-)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Absolutely, if Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart are not conservatives in your eyes it is not they or I who have lost our marbles, but you have become a Farage sycophant
    No disrespect Big G but if youre on a cruise shouldnt you be relaxing and enjoying it ? Really nothing much will have changed on here by the time you get back, nor can anyone on this site change much. Give Mrs G a break :-)
    I sail on Saturday 14th September and with parliament prorogued no politics until the 9th Oct and lots of time with my lady wife doing what we like best, being at sea ( bit like the conservative party just now)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

DavidL said:

This is a frankly embarrassing performance by the Saj.

Whodathunkit?

Johnson makes May & Corbyn look good.

Javid makes Brown look witty and scintillating....
    In fairness he is only saying everything 3x so he has much to learn to get up to Brown's standards.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It is an extraordinary achievement for Britain's first prime minister with Muslim ancestry to be so widely regarded as a racist.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    In fairness Bercow was letting the Saj ramble on but had to intervene when Ken Clarke raised a point of order. Now he no longer has the whip it will be interesting to see what Ken gets up to.
    Something about micturition and tents springs to mind.
  • Options
    I said on this site about a year ago that the Tories would never get Brexit through with Bercow as Speaker.They had to get rid of him when they had the chance over the abuse scandal .For this I was roundly abused by some of the more aggressive Remainers on here . Bercow is about to become a lightning rod of hate for Parliament when the GE comes and is phrased as Parliament v the People.He has done more damage to our Parliamentary democracy than anyone I can think of.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Like being banned from driving, working, showing their hair or dating other ethnicities ?

I’m against that too. Are you ?

Of course. I'm against the subjugation of women. We are at one.

Or perhaps not because I'm against it even when it has nothing to do with Islam.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris Johnson = Richard III

No-one loves a usurper.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342

Also hearing PMQs reminded me of Trump in the debates. It was awful: He ignored the questions and just waffled and repeated talking points.

But he kept hitting the talking points. And the talking points were tested to reach the voters he needed, whereas the "gives cogent answers and answers the sodding question" vote is probably not a key swing demographic.

This is how Blair was successful. Answer the questions you want to hear.

The thing about Blair is that he was adding an extra layer of non-traditional Labour voters to the existing core of 35-40% Labour voters fed up with 18 years of Tories. Also, something that's widely forgotten is that the biggest change in 1997 was not that Labour added masses of new voters but that lots of Tories didn't turn out.

Johnson is essentially trying to replace the traditional mainstream Tories like Richard N and BigG (to whom genuine sympathies for what must have been a painful decision) with new voters who haven't voted Tory before. With Farage fishing in the same pool, it's not obvious that it will work, and we won't really know till we see who turns out on election day.
  • Options

Nobody's mentioned Jo Swinson, who I didn't really rate before but I thought she was surprisingly and ferociously effective. Is it just me?

Agree - a ferocious question tee’d up perfectly by Dhesi - it nicely rounded out a horror show.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I sail on Saturday 14th September and with parliament prorogued no politics until the 9th Oct and lots of time with my lady wife doing what we like best, being at sea ( bit like the conservative party just now)
    In calmer waters I hope!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Camp 1: Isn’t Boris terrible, what a hoot that was seeing someone call him a racist. Worst. PMQs. Ever! What a good decision I made ages ago never to vote for him.

Camp 2: gawd, who was that idiot riding on the outage bus? Good old Boris, he’ll get things done and show that chlorinated chicken Corbyn what for.

Camp 3: hello? Is anyone else there? You there! Yes, over here!

Rinse, repeat until whatever year Boris stands down. Yawn.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Javid is worse than Johnson

Don't know about that, but certainly not CoE material.

Wonder why he got the job?

Is it because he was the only bald man in cabinet and Johnson wanted to show he was not prejudiced?
    Johnson gave jobs to all of the other candidates for the Tory leadership who were willing to toe his no deal line - Gove, Raab, McVey, Leadsom, Hancock and Javid.

I think the only two not to be in Cabinet are Stewart - who lost the whip voting against no deal yesterday - and Hunt - who wouldn't accept a demotion.

Maybe Javid is showing that Truss would have made a better Chancellor, but it's not that exceptional to give a senior Cabinet role to a leadership rival.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

No, she appears to be improving steadily.
    (I'm not sure I'd go as far as ferocious.)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Scott_P said:
    The opposition don't need a plan - they just need the phrase "Boris is racist" in the back of some people's minds.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You back extension over No Deal Brexit, you can still prefer a Deal but oppose further extension and be a Tory but if not you are now really a LD
    And you are a Remainer without a party to go to oh no wait. You can go to the LDs. They are the party of Remain. You as a diehard remainer should perhaps give them a go as, and this is the key bit, you agree with their policy on the most important issue of the day and you don't agree with the Tories' policy on the same thing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Scott_P said:
    Such a level of increased spending should ensure that we avoid a recession next year. It should push growth up by more than 2%. It seems that austerity has truly died.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,575
    Nigelb said:

Really?

According to the Wiki chart, the Lib Dem poll ratings are not exactly soaring.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

It seems that it is holiday season on PB - cruises, typing on iPads by pools in 35 degrees. Wasn't Malcolm on a cruise the other day?

TBF, Big_G is about the same age as Biden and Sanders...
  • Options

I do not relish going into bat on the government’s behalf here, but there is increasingly a bit of an echo chamber on here and in the tweets I see posted.

Yes, the government has fallen apart. Yes, it’s all a bit of a mess. Yes, Johnson is a prat.

BUT

There will soon be a dissolution and election (how soon is up to Labour). Boris is going into that election targeting a very different type of vote than is (sorry to generalise) largely represented on this site or in the media. He is going for the “I voted to leave and you haven’t done it yet” crowd. He is running, as people have said, a parliament v people election. I don’t think he’s too bothered about what parliament thinks about him right now.

The big question is whether that will be enough to see him home and dry but we should not count him out. He is currently ahead in the polls by varying margins.

I do think there is an element of complacency creeping in, that he will drop the ball like TMay did and lose the election. That is far from certain.

This.

Also hearing PMQs reminded me of Trump in the debates. It was awful: He ignored the questions and just waffled and repeated talking points.

But he kept hitting the talking points. And the talking points were tested to reach the voters he needed, whereas the "gives cogent answers and answers the sodding question" vote is probably not a key swing demographic.

May had that art perfected.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,958
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And you are no longer a Tory. Because Tories want a no deal Brexit and you don't want a no deal Brexit. You want to remain and voted for remain hence you are a diehard remainer. You have precious little in common with the current Tory party.

Go find yourself another party because the Tories espouse a policy, their flagship policy, that you vehemently disagree with.
    I back Brexit Deal or No Deal any Remainer who does and respects the Leave vote is still a Tory
    You don't back Brexit deal or no deal. You back remain. Just because the party changed from underneath you doesn't mean that your opinions changed. You are a remainer. A diehard Remainer because on the one occasion that it mattered, the one time that you were able to register your vote formally, you voted Remain. You are, if I may be so bold as to use your own vernacular, a traitor.

And it doesn't please me to say this because I know you to be someone of the utmost integrity who would under no circumstances contemplate floating in the political wind and changing their mind on matters of principle.
    The really is such a load of turgid old bollocks I have no idea why you keep repeating it.

I think HYUFD is sadly mistaken in his faith in polls or in the prospects for his party but he does have the undeniable quality of being a democrat. The public voted Leave and in spite of his original views he thinks respecting that result is the most important political issue at the moment. It ix a position to be admired not scorned.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Oh Boy.... Boris just used the S-word.

Big_G to resign his conservative membership today?
    I published my resignation letter early this morning on this forum
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing, publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter, awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    Given the comments some posters on here (including me) have made about Big_G remaining a member of the tories while other previously more favourable of Boris had left - it was a worthwhile thing to post.

Both Big_G leaving (which must have been a seriously hard decision) and his reasons for doing so are valid posts and discussion topics on this site.
    Worthwhile to mention leaving, yes. Publishing letters/ writing threads about it seems like attention seeking to me
    Given that people on here have had a go at his position its perfectly fair for him to respond politely - and given that this is a betting sites it's useful albeit anecdotal information.
    Who said he couldn’t respond politely? Publishing the letter/making it the subject of a thread header seems to me to be like playing at being an MP or resigning minister, who do such things on Twitter
    Maybe not everybody's cup of tea but very entitled to and relevant to site and current state of politics etc. People here are interested that folks who have been members most of their life are throwing in the towel and leaving the Tories.
    What's more we have had thread headers from SO about his joining and leaving Labour under Corbyn, which have been interesting.

Insight from those like him, @NickPalmer @david_herdson who are practitioners and not just commentators is valuable, interesting and one of the best things about this site. Attacking people personally adds nothing.

There has been some somewhat unpleasant criticism of those who write headers. Criticism is absolutely fine but if people don't like what is published they should offer their own articles rather than simply carp. @Philip_Thompson and @MarqueeMark, who are both very much Leavers, did so and produced two very fine headers.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_P said:
    The opposition don't need a plan - they just need the phrase "Boris is racist" in the back of some people's minds.
    Which complements their other key phrase "you can't trust Boris"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Oh FFS. “Toast?” On the basis of one PMQs?

I don’t like the guy but this is getting absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

After last night, surely we're getting to the point where still being a Tory is a mark of certifiable insanity?
    Did they really not teach you about punctuation at that venerable school you went to?

Was it so old that it was founded before punctuation was invented, and never kept up with the times?
    His punctuation went out of the window with his judgment.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Nigelb said:

I didn't think she was great at PMQs, but she does seem to be good at politicking (although I know many people have left the party over the LGBTQ record of their new MP, Lee)
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And you are like the loud and foul mouthed football supporter shouting his head off at the front of the terraces. Insisting that every fair tackle is a foul and every ball that goes into touch came off an opponent. You claim to be a passionate supporter of the home team but to most of the fans who have also been supporters for years, you are a boorish embarrasment.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,575
    edited September 2019
    Listening to the Spending Review, it is coming across as the first one written as a Buzz Feed listicle.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Scots have a great expression for this. You are 'havering'
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

Scott_P said:
    The people whose minds that might influence already have no intention of voting Boris. The only way I can see that working is if the return of PC name calling bollox gives more ammo to Farage. And then its anyones guess who benefits.
  • Options
    Boris Johnsin has spent his entire political life avoiding any kind of detailed scrutiny. He even wants to close Parliament down to escape it. Yesterday and today the world has found out why.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Scott_P said:

It's Scott P frantically refreshing twitter from his mum's basement so take it with a pinch of salt. He was much better today than he was yesterday and had Corbyn on the backfoot.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    Which complements their other key phrase "you can't trust Boris"
    Add that to the possible attack on Transgender rights and Boris will have a full house.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Corbyn is frit and Labour like their women forced to cover up was the summary.

"Labour like their women forced to cover up".

Puerile and a touch embarrassing. Certainly inappropriate for here.

Suggest you edit out.

Will you do that for me?
  • Options

Boris Johnsin has spent his entire political life avoiding any kind of detailed scrutiny. He even wants to close Parliament down to escape it. Yesterday and today the world has found out why.

Except he wants a General Election. What more scrutiny can there be than that?
  • Options

I thought she was ok. The heartfelt style isn't really what PMQs runs on, but it will go down very well in a TV debate. But she needs to stop waving her right arm up and down with every word.
  • Options

Was following the Cricket, so can somebody tell me how the Blonde Bombshell got on? Sensible and impartial answers only please.

Poorly. He looks out of his depth. I hope my answer is sensible and impartial given my views on Brexit. I would love Boris to succeed but he has given no indication so far that he has what is needed.
    Sounds about right - though some sense of proportion is needed about how much one performance matters.
    Of course, should he maintain this form through the general election to come, it might move the dial slightly.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    I'm at work and not watching Parliament, but from the reaction here it sounds like Boris and Sajid are being so deliberately crap that it can only be because they are about to VoNC themselves. Can they so amend this evening's motion? Are they trying to goad someone else into doing it?
  • Options

Five weeks of Boris Johnson explaining how a No Deal Brexit will work is a prospect that can only appeal to sadists.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

In calmer waters I hope!
    Likely not as we are crossing the Atlantic over 5 days but we are well versed in sailing in storm force and hurricane seas over many years of international cruising
  • Options
    edited September 2019

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    The people whose minds that might influence already have no intention of voting Boris. The only way I can see that working is if the return of PC name calling bollox gives more ammo to Farage. And then its anyones guess who benefits.
    I think there is a demographic of british-asian leave voters in some Labour seats (Bradford, Stoke, Burnley, Leicester) that this plays to and Boris needs those votes to win those seats.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And you are like the loud and foul mouthed football supporter shouting his head off at the front of the terraces. Insisting that every fair tackle is a foul and every ball that goes into touch came off an opponent. You claim to be a passionate supporter of the home team but to most of the fans who have also been supporters for years, you are a boorish embarrasment.
    +1
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    Just as a matter of interest, wondering how she'll get on, when do we have Questions to the Home Secretary? There are, after all, considerable concerns over the treatment of foreign national resident in this country.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TBF, Big_G is about the same age as Biden and Sanders...
    75 and 7 months to be precise
  • Options
    Interesting in work yesterday with not a single person criticizing Johnson but a good number showing anger at MPs generally for a perceived lack of respect towards voters and dishonesty about their true intentions.

These sorts of people are professionals, politically engaged, top couple of percent earners, widely travelled, remain voters.

The exact sort of people in fact that the Tories should be toxic to if you were to believe the consensus on here.

Anecdotal of course and I may well just be engaging with outliers but if a sample of 10 or so indicates anything it might well be that there is going to be a shock at the next GE.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, it's a foolish line of attack on Boris. No-one is going to be persuaded by it.
    Quite apart from anything else, it doesn't seem to be true; the only 'evidence' for it is some colourful phrases he used. But everyone knows that Boris coins colourful phrases; it's what he does. You're not meant to take them seriously or assume that he's actually trying to say anything.
  • Options

The thing about Blair is that he was adding an extra layer of non-traditional Labour voters to the existing core of 35-40% Labour voters fed up with 18 years of Tories. Also, something that's widely forgotten is that the biggest change in 1997 was not that Labour added masses of new voters but that lots of Tories didn't turn out.

Johnson is essentially trying to replace the traditional mainstream Tories like Richard N and BigG (to whom genuine sympathies for what must have been a painful decision) with new voters who haven't voted Tory before. With Farage fishing in the same pool, it's not obvious that it will work, and we won't really know till we see who turns out on election day.
    Johnson is actively pushing away loyal Tories in the Clarke/Major mould. Quite an interesting step for a party leader - lose lifetime loyalists whose votes are guaranteed and try to replace them with voters with residual loyalty to other parties and looser allegiances.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

The really is such a load of turgid old bollocks I have no idea why you keep repeating it.

I think HYUFD is sadly mistaken in his faith in polls or in the prospects for his party but he does have the undeniable quality of being a democrat. The public voted Leave and in spite of his original views he thinks respecting that result is the most important political issue at the moment. It ix a position to be admired not scorned.

He disagrees vehemently with the flagship policy of the Conservative party and yet continues to support that party.

I mean what on earth is politics about if not to find a party that most closely reflects your own views and then support it. The Tory party's policy on Brexit, the only game in town now I think we can all agree, is one with which he disagrees. And yet he says he still supports the party.

Well he just can't. One can't support a party whose central and most important policy is one which one disagrees with.

What he certainly can't do, if he does want to hold on to that absurd position, is to tell other people what party they are or should be in.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2019
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    It is an extraordinary achievement for Britain's first prime minister with Muslim ancestry to be so widely regarded as a racist.

Johnson's racism does not derive from some inherent belief that one race or group is inferior to another, it is much more that he is very happy to demean races or groups for political advantage and to give or share platforms to those who do believe in racial superiority.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Nigelb said:

This is a Potemkin spending review.

This is a Potemkin administration.
    Surely a Potemkin administration would look good?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Blethering.....
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Johnson gave jobs to all of the other candidates for the Tory leadership who were willing to toe his no deal line - Gove, Raab, McVey, Leadsom, Hancock and Javid.

I think the only two not to be in Cabinet are Stewart - who lost the whip voting against no deal yesterday - and Hunt - who wouldn't accept a demotion.

Maybe Javid is showing that Truss would have made a better Chancellor, but it's not that exceptional to give a senior Cabinet role to a leadership rival.

Ok, perhaps it is my pocket talking.

I was on Truss. I thought Boris would wish to have the 1st female chance.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    I think there is a demographic of british-asian leave voters in some Labour seats that this plays to and Boris needs those votes to win those seats.
    probably the most "racist" ( cultural really ) experience I have ever had was listening to a Sikh friend with his Hindu mate start talking about muslims.

It made anything Id seen in Ulster pale in to insignificance. The view that UK Asians will all vote the same way seems lazy.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Oh Boy.... Boris just used the S-word.

Big_G to resign his conservative membership today?
    I published my resignation letter early this morning on this forum
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing, publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter, awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    Given the comments some posters on here (including me) have made about Big_G remaining a member of the tories while other previously more favourable of Boris had left - it was a worthwhile thing to post.

Both Big_G leaving (which must have been a seriously hard decision) and his reasons for doing so are valid posts and discussion topics on this site.
    Worthwhile to mention leaving, yes. Publishing letters/ writing threads about it seems like attention seeking to me
    Given that people on here have had a go at his position its perfectly fair for him to respond politely - and given that this is a betting sites it's useful albeit anecdotal information.
    Who said he couldn’t respond politely? Publishing the letter/making it the subject of a thread header seems to me to be like playing at being an MP or resigning minister, who do such things on Twitter
    Maybe not everybody's cup of tea but very entitled to and relevant to site and current state of politics etc. People here are interested that folks who have been members most of their life are throwing in the towel and leaving the Tories.
    What's more we have had thread headers from SO about his joining and leaving Labour under Corbyn, which have been interesting.

Insight from those like him, @NickPalmer @david_herdson who are practitioners and not just commentators is valuable, interesting and one of the best things about this site. Attacking people personally adds nothing.

There has been some somewhat unpleasant criticism of those who write headers. Criticism is absolutely fine but if people don't like what is published they should offer their own articles rather than simply carp. @Philip_Thompson and @MarqueeMark, who are both very much Leavers, did so and produced two very fine headers.
    If people want to stick their head above the parapet they should be able to handle mild criticism. I found the other threads you mention equally self indulgent. Am I allowed a view?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Scott_P said:
    McDonnell will be laughing all the way to the bank
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Interesting observation. He and JRM will struggle to recover in parliamentary terms the hash they made of yesterday and his poor showing at PMQs just seems like a continuation. A little like an innings collapse.

You are right it is not going to finish or start to finish him but they have to hold it together for an election campaign - and the early signs do not look good at all. If that goes badly he will be finished and in the current febrile times does that look so unlikely?

One thing he and Cummings have done is create a situation where the rebel alliance and Labour are managing cordial joint meetings with strategy emerging as a result. Unthinkable say two weeks ago. 2019 on a coupon election will trump (excuse the pun) 2016 and Farage can still wreck all the best laid plans for the Tories. Nigel is a shit and will of course do so. All to play for.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    PB used to be a great way of assessing public opinion, as it offered a uniquely wide spectrum of well informed viewpoints. Sadly, this is yet another victim of Brexit.

It is impossible to get a grasp of how Boris is REALLY doing, because 95% of you are crazed by your hatred of him, and the other 5% therefore feel obliged to put up a desperate defence of him, whatever he does.

Shame. I shall have to rely on polls.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

I'm at work and not watching Parliament, but from the reaction here it sounds like Boris and Sajid are being so deliberately crap that it can only be because they are about to VoNC themselves. Can they so amend this evening's motion? Are they trying to goad someone else into doing it?

Well, from what I've read, they should be able stop the Benn bill quite easily by not requesting Queen's consent. Their argument for an early election is that the Benn bill, if passed, would have forced them to do it.

So if they really want Brexit, why don't they just refuse to request consent, and carry on regardless? Because they are desperate for a way out of the corner they've painted themselves into, and want to be relieved of the responsibility for a No Deal Brexit, either by an electoral mandate for it, or by defeat in an election?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Blethering.....
    You looked it up !!!!!!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

PB used to be a great way of assessing public opinion, as it offered a uniquely wide spectrum of well informed viewpoints. Sadly, this is yet another victim of Brexit.

It is impossible to get a grasp of how Boris is REALLY doing, because 95% of you are crazed by your hatred of him, and the other 5% therefore feel obliged to put up a desperate defence of him, whatever he does.

What you on about? There’s more balance here than most places.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sounds about right - though some sense of proportion is needed about how much one performance matters.
    Of course, should he maintain this form through the general election to come, it might move the dial slightly.
    Noted with thanks, Richard and Nigel.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Was McDonnell actually throwing crockery at the prime minister, and demanding to look at the emails on his laptop?
  • Options

Byronic said:

you must go to some strange places.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

If people want to stick their head above the parapet they should be able to handle mild criticism. I found the other threads you mention equally self indulgent. Am I allowed a view?
    I'm rather confused why you are commenting then?

I come here for an exchange of views. People posting their views is basically the point it seems to me. If nobody did this would be one very hollow site.
  • Options

He doesn't ant a general election, he said so. But when one happens he will do almost no in-depth live interviews, he will do the minimum of press conferences and he will not debate the other leaders. It's how he has always operated.

• Options

Byronic said:

you must go to some strange places.
    Good input.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No-deal is not respecting the "will-o-the-people". You have no real idea on what the current view of the electorate is on no-deal as your idol is frit of a referendum to find out. By the way, told you he was crap lol!!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    McDonnell will be laughing all the way to the bank
    So on the two key policies they are trumped:

1) Brexit => The Brexit Party
    2) Spending/end to austerity => Labour

It's going to be tough fighting these battles on their opponents' territory but that looks to be the aim.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1169230181443297281

Kinder gentler politics from McDonnell.
  • Options
    Lord Forsyth bullish about his filibustering operation on WATO. It's clear he'll continue once the surrender bill arrives there too.
  • Options

I thought she was ok. The heartfelt style isn't really what PMQs runs on, but it will go down very well in a TV debate. But she needs to stop waving her right arm up and down with every word.
    Thought she was a bit underwhelming last nite, but she's newish in the job and may grow into it. In any case, the LDs will fail or prosper on their Remain USP pretty much regardless of her performances.
  • Options

Interesting that Javid has announced +5% for the Ministry of Justice - courts, etc. Maybe someone is listening to Cyclefree?

5% really won't solve things in that department.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1169229053985005568
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Byronic said:

Polls say he's doing fine to be fair.

Till you look at the subsample of Scottish remain voters who voted Green at the last election where he is universally reviled.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Very election focused one year spending review. Still unconvinced that there are enough genuinely no deal voters to give Boris a majority. And even if they lead the polls now Corbyn could surprise again.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Indeed. It's a shame. Hopefully when Brexit is decided one way or another PB will go back to how it was between 2005 and 2016.

I didn't see PMQs but from the tidbits I saw on the news Boris won't be unhappy with how his soundbites came out and nor' will Corbyn.
  • Options
    CaptainBuzzkillCaptainBuzzkill Posts: 335
    edited September 2019

PB is hugely unbalanced.

It used to be a refuge from the mindless echo chambers of social media but recently has become just another ranting site.

It isn't a problem, and I enjoy it just as much as I used to, but I use it now just for a good laugh and go elsewhere for serious political debate.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited September 2019

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm rather confused why you are commenting then?

I come here for an exchange of views. People posting their views is basically the point it seems to me. If nobody did this would be one very hollow site.
    Exchanging views on politics is not the same as writing essays about oneself. I just find making a song and dance about private matters a bit cringeworthy and self important, that’s all. Maybe I’m guilty of doing so here!

When people resigned from parties 30 years ago, if they photocopied their resignation letter and passed it around the pub, it would be a vanity act. I don’t see much difference with that and writing headers about it or reposting it online.
  • Options

He doesn't ant a general election, he said so. But when one happens he will do almost no in-depth live interviews, he will do the minimum of press conferences and he will not debate the other leaders. It's how he has always operated.

He did extremely well in the last Referendum Debate and his rallying cry at the end delivered alot of votes and enthusiasm for Leave.You underestimate him at your peril,
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited September 2019
    The election isn’t done quite yet.... The FM smells blood.

This discussion has been closed.