Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings & Johnson strategy could well be dubbed as the ch

Comments

• Options
    It turns out that a Prime Minister who was not subjected to any Parliamentary scrutiny and who spent the month of August blowing bubbles to the cooing ecstasy of a gullible press looks distinctly less impressive when he is subject to some critical and detailed examination. Whoever would have expected that?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Oh Boy.... Boris just used the S-word.

Big_G to resign his conservative membership today?
    I published my resignation letter early this morning on this forum
    Well done, Big G. I know it meant a lot to you. But at a suitable time in the future you can rejoin.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,207
    She’s sitting between Ken Clarke and Antoinette Sandbach, two proper Tories.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    tpfkar said:

He already did that this morning.
    Much respect to Big G for that.

Second that. Respect!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    "Surrendering Scottish fish" -

Oh dear.

Now the 'war' has proliferated to involve our brave salmon and trout.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The law of unexpected consequences; Boris' contrasting style makes Corbyn look Prime Ministerial.

No it doesn't he looks in charge while Corbyn looks week and indecisive
    Sorry HYUFD this is not going well for Boris.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

BoZo disrupted his own OODA loop there...

:lol:
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    If that shitshow from Boris at PMQs is a foretaste of his performance on the stump in a campaign, I cannot see a single Tory MP voting for an early General Election tonight.

Could any of them be confident of holding their seat?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ab195 said:

None of you get i do you? You’re not the audience Boris is aiming for any more than you are for Corbyn on other subjects.

after edit,
    ab195 said:

Deleted. Never mind.

Never mind, indeed. Are you the same guy as bridge? Whether you are or not, please be assured that we get i.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Oh, and welcome to the club, @Big_G_NorthWales. Many more to come, I'm sure. Perhaps we'll see the Conservative Party reborn under a new name - the One Nation Party, perhaps.

https://twitter.com/liam_bones/status/1169198356893261824
  • Options

Boris not very good in parliament. That should not be a surprise to anyone who has been following politics for the last ten years.

I think Labour's position is actually now quite strong. If they can engineer an election after Boris has been humiliated by parliament blowing up his brain-dead 'do-or-die' deadline, Corbyn will have the best of both worlds: he'll be able to tell potential voters that Labour saw off the risk of a catastrophic Tory no-deal crash out, and be able with a moderately straight face to promise to come to a better relationship with the EU (the details can be left vague). Meanwhile he'll benefit from Farage laying in to Boris in exactly the same way he laid into Theresa May, for missing the self-imposed deadline.

Oh, and welcome to the club, @Big_G_NorthWales. Many more to come, I'm sure. Perhaps we'll see the Conservative Party reborn under a new name - the One Nation Party, perhaps.

I would join that
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

That is powerful

Boris

I want to spend 1 billion on the police

He wants to give the EU 1 billion a month

Yes brilliant line from Boris
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    isam said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing, publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter, awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    Given the comments some posters on here (including me) have made about Big_G remaining a member of the tories while other previously more favourable of Boris had left - it was a worthwhile thing to post.

Both Big_G leaving (which must have been a seriously hard decision) and his reasons for doing so are valid posts and discussion topics on this site.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,983
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

That is powerful

Boris

Boris and Cummings know what they're doing.
    Anyone who knows anything about the criminal justice system knows that giving money to the police will achieve absolutely nothing. Unless you invest in all parts of it, it is simply pissing money away.
    But they've given money to the visible bits (police and prisons). You mean there are other bits that also need money (say courts, lawyers and probation offices). But they aren't obvious.
    So far they have given nothing other than vague promises of 20K police, when we know already 40K will retire. As said if you don't fix the whole system you are just wasting time and money.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Thank you.

When my party throw out Ken Clarke and other long serving conservative mps why would I remain

It was a painful decision

Because Ken Clarke and others made their bed and because regardless of Brexit the Conservatives still stand for what you stand for?

But I respect your decision. I faced the same difficult choice when May was elected and made the same decision as you did.

I wasn't an adult or a member in Major's day but did you disagree with Major removing the whip from Rupert Allason? Had Bill Cash or John Redwood voted against Major on the Maastricht Confidence vote would you have opposed them being thrown out?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

This is utterly poor by Johnson. "His friends are in Tehran and Caracas." Oh for goodness' sake, the Conservatives have been hammering that line since Corbyn was first elected. It doesn't cut through.

It does given the Tories now have a 10%+ lead
    You think the Tories' lead is because the public have suddenly become very concerned about Corbyn's stance on Iran?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    HYUFD said:

That is powerful

Boris

Corbyn is easier on the ear for me, but the ‘Shit or bust’ gag meant Boris floored him in the end
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Its always difficult making decisions like that. The Conservative party is currently in a bad way.
  • Options
    I thought Boris would be a bad PM. I did not think he would be bad at the dispatch box.
  • Options
    Oh dear.....the French are laughing at Boris:

https://twitter.com/soniastolper/status/1169207067598622720?s=20
  • Options
    ab195 said:

None of you get i do you? You’re not the audience Boris is aiming for any more than you are for Corbyn on other subjects.

True - he's targeting people who are impressed by softhead populist bluster.

Question is, are there enough of them?
  • Options
    isam said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing (publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter) awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    You have a point but I wanted to display my reasons to those who may have been interested
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Scott_P said:

North Shields. Clearly the wrong type of Northerner aye @HYUFD ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He joined the party over same sex marriage as a result of the majority of Conservative MPs voting against it?
  • Options
    eek said:

isam said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing, publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter, awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    Given the comments some posters on here (including me) have made about Big_G remaining a member of the tories while other previously more favourable of Boris had left - it was a worthwhile thing to post.

Both Big_G leaving (which must have been a seriously hard decision) and his reasons for doing so are valid posts and discussion topics on this site.
    Worthwhile to mention leaving, yes. Publishing letters/ writing threads about it seems like attention seeking to me
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    eek said:

JackW said:

My word the glum faces on the Conservative backbenches says it all.

He's the leader they wanted and heck they should all know from working with him what his strengths and weaknesses were.

The entertaining bit is how quickly Boris's dream is completely and utterly falling apart.
    Bozo really is all bullshit and bluster. I can see why he wants to prorogue. He really doesn't like being put under scrutiny.

Jezza will get a stonking majority after a few months of Bozo PMQs and running from interviews.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

That is powerful

Boris

Anyone who knows anything about the criminal justice system knows that giving money to the police will achieve absolutely nothing. Unless you invest in all parts of it, it is simply pissing money away.
    But they've given money to the visible bits (police and prisons). You mean there are other bits that also need money (say courts, lawyers and probation offices). But they aren't obvious.
    So far they have given nothing other than vague promises of 20K police, when we know already 40K will retire. As said if you don't fix the whole system you are just wasting time and money.
    I missed out a couple of words - the courts, lawyers and probation offices aren't obvious so aren't getting any money.

Don't forget this spending review is look we are giving the things you care about more money - but in reality it isn't going to do anything. Education is a prime example on one level schools are getting more money but it's already been spent giving teachers up to a 20% pay rise so the money won't actually help schools / education one bit.

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Jonathan said:

When do Tory MPs VONC this mistake?

As soon as Labour MPs will let then.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    ‘Big people’s blouse’?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The law of unexpected consequences; Boris' contrasting style makes Corbyn look Prime Ministerial.

No it doesn't he looks in charge and committed to Brexit while Corbyn looks weak and indecisive
    HYUFD - he is having a nightmare

I fear that your hopes for Boris may collide with reality
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    edited September 2019
    This pair look ready to bat all day.

And most of tomorrow.
  • Options

Johnson has Lost control of Brexit.
    Johnson has Lost control of his Party.
    Johnson has Lost control of the House.
    Johnson has lost control of the election date.
    Johnson has lost many One Nation Tory MPs and Voters
    All on day 1.
    HYUFD great day for Johnson!!

Johnson has a 10 point lead in the latest poll which also has most voters opposing further extension, today the Court of Session backed him proroguing Parliament, the momentum is all Boris
  • Options
    That was a spanking from Bercow about using names; naked hatred.
  • Options
    isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Worthwhile to mention leaving, yes. Publishing letters/ writing threads about it seems like attention seeking to me
    They're just comments like any other. Why have you singled them out as especially attention-seeking?
  • Options

isam said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but isn’t this kind of thing (publishing resignation letters, announcing you are no longer posting on the site, long bios on Twitter) awfully vain and self important? Why do it?
    You have a point but I wanted to display my reasons to those who may have been interested
    Fair enough, sorry I didn’t really want to dig you out
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Will be an interesting election if it comes and the Tories stand against him. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

They're just comments like any other. Why have you singled them out as especially attention-seeking?
    Because they make themselves the topic which seems like overestimating their own importance.

Plato (RIP) often said something along the lines of ‘they need to win over people like me’ about political parties, which made me cringe equally
  • Options
    isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Given that people on here have had a go at his position its perfectly fair for him to respond politely - and given that this is a betting sites it's useful albeit anecdotal information.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

tpfkar said:

Thank you.

When my party throw out Ken Clarke and other long serving conservative mps why would I remain

Because Ken Clarke and others made their bed and because regardless of Brexit the Conservatives still stand for what you stand for?

But I respect your decision. I faced the same difficult choice when May was elected and made the same decision as you did.

I wasn't an adult or a member in Major's day but did you disagree with Major removing the whip from Rupert Allason? Had Bill Cash or John Redwood voted against Major on the Maastricht Confidence vote would you have opposed them being thrown out?
    Rupert Allason aka Nigel West got the whip back and he was defeated in 1997. I dont think the Tory MPs who rebelled yesterday will get the whip back. So it is not the same and yesterday was not a confidence vote wheras 1993 was a formally linked issue/confidence vote.
  • Options

I thought Boris would be a bad PM. I did not think he would be bad at the dispatch box.

Didn't you watch him as foreign secretary?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Jo Swinson could rip Johnson and Corbyn apart in TV debates, on this evidence.
  • Options
    isam said:

Jezza the chameleon pronouncing ‘Lancaster’ as ‘Lancarster’ today, as opposed to his short vowelled ‘chance’ yesterday

Gosh no flies on you!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    HYUFD said:

Johnson has Lost control of Brexit.
    Johnson has Lost control of his Party.
    Johnson has Lost control of the House.
    Johnson has lost control of the election date.
    Johnson has lost many One Nation Tory MPs and Voters
    All on day 1.
    HYUFD great day for Johnson!!

Johnson has a 10 point lead in the latest poll which also has most voters opposing further extension, today the Court of Session backed him proroguing Parliament, the momentum is all Boris
    You are Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf and I claim my £5
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

She’s sitting between Ken Clarke and Antoinette Sandbach, two proper Tories.
    She sat next to Ken Clarke yesterday. She might not have rebelled last night and she might not rebel tonight, but she couldn't be giving a clearer signal of her sympathies.
  • Options

YES side have no fatigue and will be well up for it, it does not need many more to change and it is won. Given the shambles and treatment since last one and us out of Europe , that should not be difficult.
    Alastair is right about Sturgeon and if no referendum she is a goner for sure.

Hi Malc,

I don't doubt the enthusiasm of The National readership et al, I do doubt the enthusiasm of the general populace for being put through it all again. Brexit has not been a great advertisement for Westminster rule, I grant you, but it is also a warning about what happens when you embark on major constitutional change.

Sturgeon is surely safe as houses. Who on earth would lead a charge against her?

I seriously doubt she will not be challenged if she does not have a referendum next year. A lot of people getting impatient.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Was pretty hilarious. Let the spanking continue...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Given that people on here have had a go at his position its perfectly fair for him to respond politely - and given that this is a betting sites it's useful albeit anecdotal information.
    Who said he couldn’t respond politely? Publishing the letter/making it the subject of a thread header seems to me to be like playing at being an MP or resigning minister, who do such things on Twitter
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Thank you.

Rupert Allason aka Nigel West got the whip back and he was defeated in 1997. I dont think the Tory MPs who rebelled yesterday will get the whip back. So it is not the same and yesterday was not a confidence vote wheras 1993 was a formally linked issue/confidence vote.
    Allason was already out of the country when the vote was called and didn't make it back to vote. He abstained because he was out of the country and apologised and agreed he should have made it back so he got the whip suspended.

Those who rebelled yesterday knew what they were doing.
  • Options
    "I will take no lectures"; tractor stats; election bottling. Who has seen him and Gordon Brown in the same room?
  • Options
    HOLY CRAP

"A bit rich from a member of the party whose shadow chancellor said 'Business is the enemy'"

Remind me, Boris, have you ever said anything along those lines? Anything remotely similar?
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I doubt there will be any tv debates.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    tpfkar said:

Given the result of the 2017 election, it might be mutually beneficial to the two of them to lock her out of any debates.
  • Options
    I can't help feeling that the Cummings plan of a 'parliament vs the people' election has been somewhat undermined by the likelihood of scurrilous wags plastering that slogan over the picture of Rees-Mogg lounging on the benches.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Thank you.

On any vote of confidence I expect all mps to comply.

However I do not accept yesterday was a vote of confidence

I was asked to stand as a Conservative Councillor in 1966 when I was 22 and had just started running my own business. I was unable to do so due to my commitments but have supported the party in many ways since, especially at GE's though only actually joining 3 years ago
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No it doesn't he looks in charge and committed to Brexit while Corbyn looks weak and indecisive

No he isn't, nobody watches PMQs bar political nerds like us, all that matters is Boris got his sound bites across e.g. Corbyn preferring to send money to the EU rather than spend it at home which can make brief clips on the news
  • Options
    Sounds a fair snapshot of Pompey to me.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Boris is coming over like a stand up dying on his backside. He's really really bad at this.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Boris and Cummings need to tone down this thing of hectoring Jezza into agreeing a GE. It smacks of tantrums and impotent panic. The public don't understand the intricacies of the FTPA either so will just be bewildered as to why Jezza is being picked on.
  • Options
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Clearly a LD in all but name anyway
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

That is powerful

Boris

Corbyn is easier on the ear for me, but the ‘Shit or bust’ gag meant Boris floored him in the end
    Yes, great closer from Boris
  • Options

Well done, Big G. I know it meant a lot to you. But at a suitable time in the future you can rejoin.
    Thank you but I think it may be some time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

No he isn't, nobody watches PMQs bar political nerds like us, all that matters is Boris got his sound bites across e.g. Corbyn preferring to send money to the EU rather than spend it at home which can make brief clips on the news
    HYUFD = comical Ali of PB

Love you brother x
  • Options
    Applause as Johnson challenged into his letterbox remark.....
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

That is powerful

Boris

I missed out a couple of words - the courts, lawyers and probation offices aren't obvious so aren't getting any money.

Don't forget this spending review is look we are giving the things you care about more money - but in reality it isn't going to do anything. Education is a prime example on one level schools are getting more money but it's already been spent giving teachers up to a 20% pay rise so the money won't actually help schools / education one bit.

we are in violent agreement
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    DougSeal said:

Boris is coming over like a stand up dying on his backside. He's really really bad at this.

I thought that quick wit and repartee was supposed to be one of Mr Johnson's strong points.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Boris not very good in parliament. That should not be a surprise to anyone who has been following politics for the last ten years.

I think Labour's position is actually now quite strong. If they can engineer an election after Boris has been humiliated by parliament blowing up his brain-dead 'do-or-die' deadline, Corbyn will have the best of both worlds: he'll be able to tell potential voters that Labour saw off the risk of a catastrophic Tory no-deal crash out, and be able with a moderately straight face to promise to come to a better relationship with the EU (the details can be left vague). Meanwhile he'll benefit from Farage laying in to Boris in exactly the same way he laid into Theresa May, for missing the self-imposed deadline.

That would be good to see, Richard. It seems the decent, sane and sensible grown-ups are rapidly departing a once-great institution.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

I doubt there will be any tv debates.
    There will be, I wonder if Amber Rudd is willing to be the stand in again, like she did in 2017?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

LOL
  • Options
    Johnson: "We truly reflect modern Britain"

Insert Rees-Mogg photo here.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoZo has his first 6 o'clock news PMQ clip...

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1169216652493426688
  • Options
    A seat projection for Northern Ireland:

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/1169214803266719744

Ordinarily this would be of niche interest, but note that the Alliance party look very close to gaining three more seats beyond the one predicted for them. The DUP will not relish heading to the electorate just now. That may affect their thinking about an early election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Clearly a LD in all but name anyway
    :D:D
  • Options
    isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Who said he couldn’t respond politely? Publishing the letter/making it the subject of a thread header seems to me to be like playing at being an MP or resigning minister, who do such things on Twitter
    Maybe not everybody's cup of tea but very entitled to and relevant to site and current state of politics etc. People here are interested that folks who have been members most of their life are throwing in the towel and leaving the Tories.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Now we are in fantasy land
  • Options
    In fairness, Boris is still a novice at PMQs so may yet grow into the role. He should have taken a leaf out of Dave's book - start off looking conciliatory and statesmanlike. You can then expand your repertoire as your confidence grows.
  • Options
    isam said:

All that said, I never really thought Boris was a particularly clear speaker, or got what people saw in him. Corbyn come across far more measured. He is more experienced I guess

What works on the panel show, and to some extent in person, fails on the big stage. Bluster just presents as bluster – it looks opaque and dishonest. It just doesn't work at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

All people will watch is the edited highlights and there are a lot of editable highlights - none that make Boris look any good.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Boris and Cummings need to tone down this thing of hectoring Jezza into agreeing a GE. It smacks of tantrums and impotent panic. The public don't understand the intricacies of the FTPA either so will just be bewildered as to why Jezza is being picked on.
    The same Corbyn who has spent the last 2 years demanding a general election now a scaredy cat coward when offered one
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Ordinarily this would be of niche interest, but note that the Alliance party look very close to gaining three more seats beyond the one predicted for them. The DUP will not relish heading to the electorate just now. That may affect their thinking about an early election.

Its about time, The current stranglehold of DUP/SF needs to be broken.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

Maybe not everybody's cup of tea but very entitled to and relevant to site and current state of politics etc. People here are interested that folks who have been members most of their life are throwing in the towel and leaving the Tories.
    I would have thought Conservatives would have done so with as little fuss as possible
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

All that said, I never really thought Boris was a particularly clear speaker, or got what people saw in him. Corbyn come across far more measured. He is more experienced I guess

What works on the panel show, and to some extent in person, fails on the big stage. Bluster just presents as bluster – it looks opaque and dishonest. It just doesn't work at all.
    What works on a panel show works on a panel show as it is edited down (2-3 hours of filming down to 28 minutes). This will be 50 minutes down to 30 seconds of Boris looking like an idiot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The same Corbyn who has spent the last 2 years demanding a general election now a scaredy cat coward when offered one
    So what?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

It’s no different to how he was when debating Ken Livingstone on tv the first time he beat him to the Mayoralty 11 years ago.
  • Options

That is quite good for the DUP actually, they only lose 1 seat, Belfast South to the Alliance and beat Sinn Fein in marginal Belfast North
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    edited September 2019
    There's some juicy spelling of juicy, juicier and juiciest there...
    isam said:

Absolutely this!
This discussion has been closed.