Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’ve resigned from the Conservative Party

12345679»

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1154095600050364416

Good point about those idiot MPs who decided to join the Boris bandwagon having fallen for the OneNation talk in their one-to-ones.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1154091545819262977

I really must eat my Chinese now

Is that a demoation?
    No, maybe a bit upwards. The job is basically a roving fix-it position - Lidington had it last, and he was deputy PM.
    Thank you Dr Nick. Hope you're felling better now? :)
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    dixiedean said:

Yet to hear a convincing rationale behind this Cabinet. I mean Patel, Williamson?
    This plan better be super cunning, cos so far no one on PB seems to have seen it.

Someone, apologies cant remember who, said it was BINO and therefore needs to pack the payroll vote with ERG and hard brexiteers, with the remain and moderate tories on the back benches preferring BINO to risking no deal. Would make sense but also more machievellian and risky than I would expect from our new PM - if he is thinking that far ahead it may just work.
    Tory minority government swings to hard right and not a single real public voter has been involved in this complete make-over.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    David Mellor on top form.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569
    IanB2 said:
    No. There is no rational explanation for this cabinet.

Unless we were all really evil in a previous life.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Sky really need to do something about that f**king music.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:
    No. There is no rational explanation for this cabinet.

Unless we were all really evil in a previous life.
    Ferret in the LHC, obviously.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721
    edited July 2019
    Wonder what Darius Guppy thinks of this all
  • Zephyr said:

Beneath the picture above are some thoughts from Nabavi I don’t accept as honest. The bottom line is, where you say it’s no deal you object to you are not being honest by admitting it’s any hard brexit you are still refusing to be part of.

The Conservative party has definitely changed from the 80’s, now modern, progressive, inclusive. Boris wants to save this Conservative party from disaster. There’s a huge number of Conservative members and voters who passionately believe the way forward out of Britain’s decline in this world has to be a break from the EU and go global Britain. They will go to Farage’s neo Thatcherite Party if the Conservative government doesn’t deliver Brexit. Perhaps go for ever. To fight back at the source of Boris power remainers need to battle for those voters too, not remain in denial about what has happened and why. Progress in this instance is satisfying what remainers across the political spectrum remain blinkered to, the desire of the British people for self governance and reversing Britain’s decline in the world.

Address this point and explain where I am wrong. A hard brexit, that is ripping up our membership of EU elements like SM and CU that UK helped build to protect us from 21st century globalisation, a hard brexit like Tmay put to the house 3 times, because really yes her deal waffle and all is a hard brexit, ends in a place little different where a no deal exit ends up. Truth is no deal won’t remain no deal, it just brings a few months added chaos before it all comes together in the same place as a hard brexit. So anyone saying they can’t support no deal are thoroughly dishonest hiding behind no deal often bigging it up up with chaff, by not admitting it’s any hard brexit they can’t bring themselves to accept.

That is all good and well. except:
    *) IME the UKIP-entry 'Boriservative' party is not about being modern, progressive or inclusive. Hence the UKIP-candidate who once complained about the evils of immigration in front of my wife.
    *) Farage is not 'neo-Thatcherite'. He's the first Faragist.
    *) I'm intrigued about what you think the cause of 'Britain’s decline in this world' actually was.
    I though YouGov had debunked the UKIP / BXP entrist theory?

From the messages I am seeing tonight, many of the Conservative Party members that I know are quite relaxed by these appointments. At least nobody will be able to say that the Brexiteers didn't get a chance to drive the bus off the cliff.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,877
    dixiedean said:

Yet to hear a convincing rationale behind this Cabinet. I mean Patel, Williamson?
    This plan better be super cunning, cos so far no one on PB seems to have seen it.

It's a direct move into BXP territory with an autumn election in mind. There can be no other explanation.

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

Is it the equivalent of ransomware? He/She keeps playing unless paid £500 to go away for the day perhaps?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Scott_P said:

dixiedean said:

They all drank the Kool Aid

dixiedean said:

It's the Conservatives versus the Brexit Party as a reprise of Vote Leave versus Leave EU.

dixiedean said:

They are so crap they will not show up Johnson.
    Thank you for three plausible suggestions. Good grief.
  • Hoping the new Home Sec cracks down on glockenspiels in public places as a matter of urgency.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Boris is currently having Enoch Powell exhumed ready for the post of Immigration Minister....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Johnson is assembling the most right wing government this country has ever had. The Tories have basically become the BXP. It's a huge gamble. But one that Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour party makes possible. I suspect it will win Johnson his election, but what happens subsequently will destroy the Tories for years to come.

As I said below, doesn’t this thread make you wonder whether you might do something more purposeful in politics than futile handwringing from within Labour?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

dixiedean said:

Someone, apologies cant remember who, said it was BINO and therefore needs to pack the payroll vote with ERG and hard brexiteers, with the remain and moderate tories on the back benches preferring BINO to risking no deal. Would make sense but also more machievellian and risky than I would expect from our new PM - if he is thinking that far ahead it may just work.
    I would absolutely credit Boris with the machiavellian bit. It's the thinking far ahead part I have a problem with.
  • Tory minority government swings to hard right and not a single real public voter has been involved in this complete make-over.

At least the Labour party had the decency to be taken over by the hard left while in opposition, eh?
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,877
    IanB2 said:

Johnson is assembling the most right wing government this country has ever had. The Tories have basically become the BXP. It's a huge gamble. But one that Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour party makes possible. I suspect it will win Johnson his election, but what happens subsequently will destroy the Tories for years to come.

As I said below, doesn’t this thread make you wonder whether you might do something more purposeful in politics than futile handwringing from within Labour?

I am not in Labour.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Hopefully Amber Rudd is going to NI.
    RIP Rutger Hauer.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Wouldn’t it be funny if several Tories resigned the whip tomorrow just after Bozos Commons speech.

Is it the equivalent of ransomware? He/She keeps playing unless paid £500 to go away for the day perhaps?
    The new Home Secretary will probably introduce legislation allowing the stalking of protesters with rifles. On the serious side I think it counterproductive with the noise as I watched Sky news and changed channels because it irritated me so much. The same goes for the man who shouts stop Brexit. Visual protests were ok but the shouting and music has to stop!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,734

Hoping the new Home Sec cracks down on glockenspiels in public places as a matter of urgency.

Boris having already put far too many bell ends into public, what would be the point?
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

That's an awful decision on Penny Mordaunt.

Richard Nabavi, this is a heart-rending thread and you have as much empathy as I can extend across the ether. I am taking the liberty of sharing it with some Conservative friends of mine.

I have had some serious arguments with Richard over the years, in my various guises. He and I are not kindred spirits politically. Yet he is an astute, highly intelligent, conscientious, thoughtful man. It is deeply saddening to read his blog, which is a seminal piece on PB.
    tlg86 said:

Hopefully Amber Rudd is going to NI.

How can she bear to be in this Cabinet? Likewise Hancock.

Truly politicians can be careerist fatbergers.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Excellent header; among its many fine qualities is that of being concise.

I'm out, probably for good, and I'm a lifelong bring back hunting and abolish all death taxes tory. It'll be fun to have a shot at unseating that lump of lard Cox.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Of course it was Foot as LOTO that allowed Thatcher to turn further and further right.
    https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1154093304327356416

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1154093310123872258
    I'm a Thatcherite, Libertarian and prefer No Deal to May's deal. So 2.5-3 out of 3 good for me.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    So:

Foreign Secretary - man who doesn't know where Dover is
    Home Secretary - sacked less than two years ago for running a parallel foreign policy and lying about it (frankly the lying is the sanest thing about it)
    Education Secretary(?) - Sacked six months ago for leaking state secrets

Still, none of them as bad as the Prime Minister's CV. Maybe he's appointing them all to try and bask in their reflected glory?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Thank you Dr Nick. Hope you're felling better now? :)

Thanks, GIN - yes, seemingly fine again! Spinning with the best oif us :)
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Is Patel the first pro-hanging Home Sec since 1962?

No. Reggie Maudling was - and possibly David Waddington in late 80s.
    Any news on Hancock yet? I'm guessing remaining at health, only question whether he is promoting anti Sugar measures or against them?

Do ministers staying in place actually get 're-announced'?
    nico67 said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if several Tories resigned the whip tomorrow just after Bozos Commons speech.

No. It would be bloody brilliant.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    alex. said:

Any news on Hancock yet? I'm guessing remaining at health, only question whether he is promoting anti Sugar measures or against them?

Yeah it's been officially confirmed on the PM's Twitter.

So which climate change denier is taking over at Environment?

I wonder if Zac might get it. He'd be good.
    Zac has been poisoned by the same issue that Watson has (Brittan and the Beech affair) . I don't care how much he cares for animals or the environment: when it comes to people and common decency he's utter scum.

Come to mention it: you were rather aggrieved the other day about a Labour apparatchik being 'hounded' whilst having cancer. Have you had a chance to look back in your posts to show where you showed similar concern about Leon Brittan?

Or is it just Labourites who deserve such compassion?
    I don't recall ever saying anything nasty about Leon Brittan. though I ay have forgotten it. Remind me? By and large I don't do nastiness.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

The new Home Secretary will probably introduce legislation allowing the stalking of protesters with rifles. On the serious side I think it counterproductive with the noise as I watched Sky news and changed channels because it irritated me so much. The same goes for the man who shouts stop Brexit. Visual protests were ok but the shouting and music has to stop!
    'protesters with rifles'

Sounds dangerous!

nico67 said:

I think it would be funny as well.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    alex. said:

Yes, he stays at Health and Social Care. I imagine he’s overjoyed.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Of course it was Foot as LOTO that allowed Thatcher to turn further and further right.
    https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1154093304327356416

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1154093310123872258
    I'm a Thatcherite, Libertarian and prefer No Deal to May's deal. So 2.5-3 out of 3 good for me.
    Ditto.
  • ydoethur said:
    No Brexit secretary Barclay was the first
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    So this is what a putsch looks like.

The Tory party has been taken over by the Brexit Party.

If only we had a decent Leader of the Opposition .....
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Nigelb said:
    Hardly. Would be far too moderate for this cabinet.

ydoethur said:
    No Brexit secretary Barclay was the first
    OK - so the first person in an actual job to stay in post?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    ydoethur said:

Is that the first person to stay in post?

It's a punishment beating...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957

NEW THREAD

Scott_P said:

ydoethur said:

Is that the first person to stay in post?

It's a punishment beating...
    For the NHS ?
    Will he be cheesed off if she doesn't?

Will he force her to Field questions?

Will she let the Americans screw her?

The puns just write themselves...
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

I'm left with two thoughts.

First, having been a member of a political party for nearly 40 years, I fully understand Richard N's emotional struggle and turmoil at cutting himself away from something which has ben part of his life. I've walked the line myself on two or three occasions but never crossed it. I respect Richard N as a conservative and while I don't always agree with him, I have always known he puts the welfare of the citizens of the country at the highest level. We don't I think differ much on ends but we do differ on means.

Second, sometimes when you are a leader of men and women you have to make a tough call - do you have around you people who support you, people you can trust or do you surround yourself with the best people for the job who may not like you but you know are the people you need in that role. Neither Churchill in 1940 nor Thatcher in 1975 (as two examples) inherited teams which were full of allies and supporters. The art is to trust the people best able to do the job to do the job - that's what counts not whether they cheer you to the rafters every time you say something.
    Cyclefree said:

Give Swinson a chance.....
    nico67 said:

Yes, I cannot see how BoJo the clown keeps his parliamentary majority. In politics timing is everything. Probably not wise to resign the whip today but tomorrow is a different prospect...
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    ydoethur said:

Will he be cheesed off if she doesn't?

Will he force her to Field questions?

Will she let the Americans screw her?

The puns just write themselves...
    Invest heavily in lube producers.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-uk-trade-boris-wednesday-1.5221984

"Why would Canada make any concessions in a CETA equivalent [deal] when we know that we'll have pretty much 95 per cent duty-free access into that market?" said Brian Kingston, vice-president of the Business Council of Canada.

"Yes, the U.K. is an important and large market, but any negotiator sitting down with them would recognize that there's a different level of desperation with the Brits."
    I actually feel sick.

I actually feel sick.

I felt like that yesterday when I discovered BJ had won.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    Rancid bunch on the whole. Looks like the plan is to surf the wave of cheap softhead populism and hope the British people succumb when the inevitable 'crisis' election comes.

Could well work. Because to paraphrase BoJo - if you bet against the British people's delusion that they are in some way special you will usually lose your shirt.
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

So what’s the point of calling rallies demanding a GE then?

Oppositions that sit around passively awaiting events are not usually effective. Labour is doing a lot of policy work which is going unreported, so they need to do some vaguely media-friendly stuff too.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    What is Johnson doing about tomorrow's travel chaos?!?

Less than a day into the job and the country already falling down around his ears!
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Forget all the politics. The news of the death of Rutger Hauer has left me deeply upset tonight. A fabulous actor and responsible for one of the greatest soliloquies in cinematic history.

RIP.
    Anyway, on a more interesting note, anyone recognise the picture on the Queen's wall?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    This thread has been

sacked

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Give Swinson a chance.....
    If say, 40 SNP MPs and 120 Labour MPs temporarily defected to the LibDems, would she be able to call a VonC?

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

So which climate change denier is taking over at Environment?

I wonder if Zac might get it. He'd be good.
    Zac has been poisoned by the same issue that Watson has (Brittan and the Beech affair) . I don't care how much he cares for animals or the environment: when it comes to people and common decency he's utter scum.

Come to mention it: you were rather aggrieved the other day about a Labour apparatchik being 'hounded' whilst having cancer. Have you had a chance to look back in your posts to show where you showed similar concern about Leon Brittan?

Or is it just Labourites who deserve such compassion?
    I don't recall ever saying anything nasty about Leon Brittan. though I ay have forgotten it. Remind me? By and large I don't do nastiness.
    "By and large I don't do nastiness" ... except when you accuse me of being a stalker because I had the temerity to question you. That was exceedingly non-nasty. ;)

But it's not about 'saying anything nasty about Leon Brittan'. It's the fact you saw it as terrible that opponents were criticising someone for her behaviour in a role whilst she had cancer (and saw fit to comment about it unprompted), yet remained quiet when Watson (who at the time was on your side) was slandering and slurring an innocent man dying of cancer. And the slurs were about a hideous crime.

The obvious difference being that the former is a Corbyn acolyte accused of doing wrong, whilst the latter was a retired Conservative?

Perhaps you should put animal rights to one side for a while and start considering human decency.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Zephyr said:

Beneath the picture above are some thoughts from Nabavi I don’t accept as honest. The bottom line is, where you say it’s no deal you object to you are not being honest by admitting it’s any hard brexit you are still refusing to be part of.

The Conservative party has definitely changed from the 80’s, now modern, progressive, inclusive. Boris wants to save this Conservative party from disaster. There’s a huge number of Conservative members and voters who passionately believe the way forward out of Britain’s decline in this world has to be a break from the EU and go global Britain. They will go to Farage’s neo Thatcherite Party if the Conservative government doesn’t deliver Brexit. Perhaps go for ever. To fight back at the source of Boris power remainers need to battle for those voters too, not remain in denial about what has happened and why. Progress in this instance is satisfying what remainers across the political spectrum remain blinkered to, the desire of the British people for self governance and reversing Britain’s decline in the world.

Address this point and explain where I am wrong. A hard brexit, that is ripping up our membership of EU elements like SM and CU that UK helped build to protect us from 21st century globalisation, a hard brexit like Tmay put to the house 3 times, because really yes her deal waffle and all is a hard brexit, ends in a place little different where a no deal exit ends up. Truth is no deal won’t remain no deal, it just brings a few months added chaos before it all comes together in the same place as a hard brexit. So anyone saying they can’t support no deal are thoroughly dishonest hiding behind no deal often bigging it up up with chaff, by not admitting it’s any hard brexit they can’t bring themselves to accept.

That is all good and well. except:
    *) IME the UKIP-entry 'Boriservative' party is not about being modern, progressive or inclusive. Hence the UKIP-candidate who once complained about the evils of immigration in front of my wife.
    *) Farage is not 'neo-Thatcherite'. He's the first Faragist.
    *) I'm intrigued about what you think the cause of 'Britain’s decline in this world' actually was.
    I though YouGov had debunked the UKIP / BXP entrist theory?

From the messages I am seeing tonight, many of the Conservative Party members that I know are quite relaxed by these appointments. At least nobody will be able to say that the Brexiteers didn't get a chance to drive the bus off the cliff.
    Well, on here we've seen at least one (now sadly banned) UKIP entriest who was telling long-term Conservatives how they weren't really Conservative.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

nico67 said:

Not really. Had they done so 72 hours or so earlier , they might have made it more difficult for Boris to enter No 10.
  • Cyclefree said:

Any appointment to a Conservative government is a "move to the right". When one of these has to be replaced by someone put on the back benches tonight it will be a "move to the right".

I remember Ken Clarke being appointed to the Thatcher cabinet, a "move to the right". He was moved several times and bizarrely eventually got back his first job. Every move was a "move to the right". Its like those bloody stairs with the ball bouncing down them.

I'm a bit surprised Hunt was offered Defence as I knew Ben Wallace had been sounded out for defence about a month ago.
  • alex. said:

Anyway, on a more interesting note, anyone recognise the picture on the Queen's wall?

Is it a Cannaletto ? Presumably NOT a "School of"
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

Accidental pun award for June Mummery of the Brexit Party.

https://twitter.com/june_mummery/status/1153955632220987397

She certainly knows her plaice. That's pure whitebait for her constituents. She;s singing the right tuna for them.
    Are we doing this again? Oh, cod... :(
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

Farage to House of Lords and Cabinet now seems likely.

He'd have to join the Conservative Party, or at least leave BXP.

On any other day, that would seem strange... :(
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Is Patel the first pro-hanging Home Sec since 1962?

Don't forget the scumbag David Waddington
This discussion has been closed.