Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’ve resigned from the Conservative Party

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Mrs May just tweeted: "Apres moi le deluge"

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349

Who is actually going to run this government?

We know Boris doesn’t do detail - so who?

Sajid poor man is not really a great brain and hasn’t updated his ideology chip since 1988.
    Raab is a fanatic and in any case will be on the road. Patel is very dim witted.

I suppose it doesn’t matter as there will surely be an election.

Dominic Cummings.
    If Johnson has any kind of majority, he would get to exercise his desire to smash everything up.

As it is, he’ll do what damage he can before an election.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Grieve calls Johnson a charlatan

What channel was that on?
    Sky News.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited July 2019

AndyJS said:

"Gavin Williamson 'expected to be education secretary'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49073992

The teachers will be crying out for the return of Gove in response to that news
    Even Williamson would be better than Gove.

That said, I think there is every chance of a major multi-day strike this autumn. The pay rise appears to have been an attempt to head it off (rather a feeble one, given it was unfunded and will therefore either not be awarded or lead to redundancies to pay for it).

But between pension changes, increased workload, major issues in the examination system which look set to end up in the courts, the implosion of OFSTED and the impending bankruptcy of several academy chains, I think the teaching profession has just had enough.

Based on his record at Defence, it seems unlikely Williiamson's performance in the face of such action would be anything less than abject. Hinds at least was smooth and emollient and was papering over some of the worst cracks.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1154091545819262977

I really must eat my Chinese now

Is that a demoation?
    Depends on how the role is defined. He could be the face of the administration and a robust media presence
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,436

Laura K 'hearing' that Mogg might get Leader of the House...

Oh dear sweet god
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,631
    Zephyr said:

Beneath the picture above are some thoughts from Nabavi I don’t accept as honest. The bottom line is, where you say it’s no deal you object to you are not being honest by admitting it’s any hard brexit you are still refusing to be part of.

The Conservative party has definitely changed from the 80’s, now modern, progressive, inclusive. Boris wants to save this Conservative party from disaster. There’s a huge number of Conservative members and voters who passionately believe the way forward out of Britain’s decline in this world has to be a break from the EU and go global Britain. They will go to Farage’s neo Thatcherite Party if the Conservative government doesn’t deliver Brexit. Perhaps go for ever. To fight back at the source of Boris power remainers need to battle for those voters too, not remain in denial about what has happened and why. Progress in this instance is satisfying what remainers across the political spectrum remain blinkered to, the desire of the British people for self governance and reversing Britain’s decline in the world.

Address this point and explain where I am wrong. A hard brexit, that is ripping up our membership of EU elements like SM and CU that UK helped build to protect us from 21st century globalisation, a hard brexit like Tmay put to the house 3 times, because really yes her deal waffle and all is a hard brexit, ends in a place little different where a no deal exit ends up. Truth is no deal won’t remain no deal, it just brings a few months added chaos before it all comes together in the same place as a hard brexit. So anyone saying they can’t support no deal are thoroughly dishonest hiding behind no deal often bigging it up up with chaff, by not admitting it’s any hard brexit they can’t bring themselves to accept.

This is nonsense. A few months chaos = recession = millions of peoples jobs and lives suffer needlessly because the very people who campaigned for brexit for 30 years refused to vote for it!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

That said, I think there is every chance of a major multi-day strike this autumn. The pay rise appears to have been an attempt to head it off (rather a feeble one, given it was unfunded and will therefore either not be awarded or lead to redundancies to pay for it).

But between pension changes, increased workload, major issues in the examination system which look set to end up in the courts, the implosion of OFSTED and the impending bankruptcy of several academy changes, I think the teaching profession has just had enough.

Based on his record at Defence, it seems unlikely Williiamson's performance in the face of such action would be anything less than abject. Hinds at least was smooth and emollient and was papering over some of the worst cracks.
    Maybe he’ll tell the teachers to shut up and go away.
  • Options

Oh dear sweet god
    Mogg v Bercow would be quite some spectator sport
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Oh dear sweet god
    Tsk. The correct apostrophe is “O tempora! O mores!”
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    AndyJS said:

Does that mean... IDS to defence? Minister for the Pentagon?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    Surely Priti's 'British workers are among the worst idlers in the world' will find its way on every poster by Labour/Lib Dems/TBP/SNP etc. from now to eternity.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

So Vadkar, do you feel lucky, punk?

You are embarrassing yourself.
  • Options
    Sky speculating WIlliamson has got Housing...
  • Options
    alex. said:

AndyJS said:

Ben Wallace is confirmed for Defence
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    alex. said:

AndyJS said:

No

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1154093628333182976
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Could someone let her know the Tories don't currently have a majority to increase?

• Options

The talk of Nicky Morgan returning to Cabinet is surprising.

Given her role in the destruction of OFSTED through the appointment of Spielmann - a truly insane decision for which no reason has ever been given - she is another one, like Cummings and Gove, who should not be allowed to hold public office.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    no where. johnson has shown appalling judgment.

Swinson must be about to pass out with all this. Looking forward to polls.
    She needs to get the tone right immediately. Sorry for decent sensible conservatives, both voters and MPs should come across to the LD. Even though it will be tempting and play well with her base, it is not necessary to ridicule the cabinet, potential switchers will have drawn that conclusion themselves already.

A big test for her first up.
  • Options

alex. said:

AndyJS said:

No

Who he?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Is Boris Johnson a deep cover Lib Dem mole?
  • Options
    Wonder how Osborne is feeling tonight. Seem to recall he did an editorial saying Johnson is the one.

Every tiny last of modernising him and Cameron did has been razed to the ground tonight.
  • Options

Is Boris Johnson a deep cover Lib Dem mole?

Just put a £5 on LibDem most seats.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

But between pension changes, increased workload, major issues in the examination system which look set to end up in the courts, the implosion of OFSTED and the impending bankruptcy of several academy changes, I think the teaching profession has just had enough.

Maybe he’ll tell the teachers to shut up and go away.
    I'm sure he will.

And I'm sure it will work about as well as the exam reforms of a man with a burning believe in his own brilliance who so buggered up the marking criteria he rendered the exams meaningless.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    Truss to Trade
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited July 2019
    Truss to Int Trade.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Gavin effing Williamson ???

At least Gove, first time round, was a plausible choice before he proved a disaster.

• Options
    There is someone playing a glockenspiel behind Jon Craig on Sky News, isn't there? I'm not hearing things?
  • Options

alex. said:

AndyJS said:

No

Who he?
    No idea, but based on the other appointments a rabid right wing swivel eyed loon who is thick and a danger to national security.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,956

Do you mean Varadkar?
    Be easier if they were all called Murphy eh?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284

alex. said:

AndyJS said:

No

Who he?
    He's a man with an obsession with Michael Gove's willy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/michael-gove-game-of-thrones-tory-leadership-brexit-boris-johnson-ally-threatens-theon-greyjoy-a7113656.html
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    How many letters will Brady be getting tonight?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tlg86 said:

Truss to Int Trade.

Nope, she has Fox’s job

Edit/ posted after you spotted your mistake
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The cabinet brought to you by Freddie Kruger .
  • Options
    Ah thanks... for a moment I thought Johnson might be failing to pick a team of complete and utter dunces. I needn't have worried it seems.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Scott_P said:

She needs to get the tone right immediately. Sorry for decent sensible conservatives, both voters and MPs should come across to the LD. Even though it will be tempting and play well with her base, it is not necessary to ridicule the cabinet, potential switchers will have drawn that conclusion themselves already.

Not to ridicule. But essential to inform. Most voters don't know who most of these people are.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

Scott_P said:

Just did an Opinium which asks about best PM with Swinson and Farage added to the usual two.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Just three words describe today's events - FFS!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176

Oh dear sweet god
    Mogg v Bercow would be quite some spectator sport
    Please let that happen!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Javid - probably the best choice Boris could reasonably have made.
    Raab - doesn't fill me with confidence, but I can live with it.

But Priti Patel. Priti Patel. A disaster at dfid, recently sacked for being monumentally stupid & lying to her boss... That's the one that really gets me.

The only positive I can draw is that the home office is a very difficult department to run, so hopefully she messes up quickly rather than slowly. When she does go, I'd imagine Mordaunt would be well placed to take over.
  • Options
    Credit to @Richard_Nabavi - I don't agree with him that often but he's clearly a man of principle.

How are all you other PB Tories feeling about this stellar cabinet?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

At least Gove, first time round, was a plausible choice before he proved a disaster.

You have to remember ydoethur has a deep, almost psychotic, hatred for Gove. It is one area where he becomes utterly irrational.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    IanB2 said:

Truss to Trade

"The Truss"
  • Options
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Just three words describe today's events - FFS!

Boris is FFS for the second time...
  • Options
    How long before jo Swinson becomes favourite for next pm?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

You have to remember ydoethur has a deep, almost psychotic, hatred for Gove. It is one area where he becomes utterly irrational.
    No, he is the voice of bitter experience.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Truss to Trade

Oh good she can go back to Beijing to keep opening up those pork markets.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,928
    ydoethur said:

Is anyone still trying to pretend Cummings is intelligent? Or have people come round to my view that he believes he is intelligent but actually has the intell

Going by his blogroll, Cummings has fallen good & hard for the US alt-right-lite "rationalist" cult. It's full of links to groups like MIRI (Everyone must donate to MIRI to save us from evil AIs torturing us for eternity), Elizer Yudkowsky (founder of said AI cult), Steve Hsu ("race realist" IIRC), etc etc.

This bunch are really good at aping the look & feel of academic intellectual debate whilst in reality talking great steaming piles of bullshit. It's quite an impressive grift for those at the top of that particular pile.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    rkrkrk said:

But Priti Patel. Priti Patel. A disaster at dfid, recently sacked for being monumentally stupid & lying to her boss... That's the one that really gets me.

The only positive I can draw is that the home office is a very difficult department to run, so hopefully she messes up quickly rather than slowly. When she does go, I'd imagine Mordaunt would be well placed to take over.

Will she have time to re-introduce the death penalty?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:

Not to ridicule. But essential to inform. Most voters don't know who most of these people are.
    Those arent the ones who might switch immediately. Potential switchers need sympathy and empathy not rubbing in the feeling that they have lost and are isolated.

The voters who dont know anything about the new cabinet may or may not move later on but are unlikely to make a quick decision. And MPs including ex cabinet ministers could be in play if she gets it right.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Johnson is hardly going to reject someone on the grounds of lying to their boss. Has he ever had a boss he hasn’t lied to?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited July 2019
    Johnson is assembling the most right wing government this country has ever had. The Tories have basically become the BXP. It's a huge gamble. But one that Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour party makes possible. I suspect it will win Johnson his election, but what happens subsequently will destroy the Tories for years to come.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

Is that a demoation?
    No, maybe a bit upwards. The job is basically a roving fix-it position - Lidington had it last, and he was deputy PM.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Johnson is assembling the most right wing government this country has ever had. The Tories have basically become the BXP. It's a huge gamble. But one that Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour party makes possible.

Labour with a half-reasonable leader would absolutely murder this Tory government.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    tlg86 said:

Truss to Int Trade.

Truss for Business would have been funny!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    tlg86 said:

How many letters will Brady be getting tonight?

None - the poor man has lost everything..... sort of.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    IanB2 said:

FF43 said:

There's something of the Kim Jongun about these sackings. A new side of Boris Johnson - to me at least.

In terms of bold decisiveness, perhaps. In terms of wanting yes-speaking acolytes and no intellectual challenges from potential rivals, no.
    What I mean is that Johnson is being ruthless for the sake of being ruthless. His substitutes aren't chosen for their competence, for being fresh faces or even their loyalty. It's a despotic management tool to keep people in line.

His other calculation, I think, is to personify the Leave vote. Tie people in so if you want Brexit, you have to do it through him.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Do you mean Varadkar?
    Yes I meant Varadkar and I normally spell it correctly. Smashed my phone last week so currently on a 7 year old iPhone 5 until my Samsung S9 comes back from insurance. The keyboard is very unfamiliar now so I keep making mistakes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Accidental pun award for June Mummery of the Brexit Party.

https://twitter.com/june_mummery/status/1153955632220987397
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,887
    Zephyr said:

Beneath the picture above are some thoughts from Nabavi I don’t accept as honest. The bottom line is, where you say it’s no deal you object to you are not being honest by admitting it’s any hard brexit you are still refusing to be part of.

The Conservative party has definitely changed from the 80’s, now modern, progressive, inclusive. Boris wants to save this Conservative party from disaster. There’s a huge number of Conservative members and voters who passionately believe the way forward out of Britain’s decline in this world has to be a break from the EU and go global Britain. They will go to Farage’s neo Thatcherite Party if the Conservative government doesn’t deliver Brexit. Perhaps go for ever. To fight back at the source of Boris power remainers need to battle for those voters too, not remain in denial about what has happened and why. Progress in this instance is satisfying what remainers across the political spectrum remain blinkered to, the desire of the British people for self governance and reversing Britain’s decline in the world.

Address this point and explain where I am wrong. A hard brexit, that is ripping up our membership of EU elements like SM and CU that UK helped build to protect us from 21st century globalisation, a hard brexit like Tmay put to the house 3 times, because really yes her deal waffle and all is a hard brexit, ends in a place little different where a no deal exit ends up. Truth is no deal won’t remain no deal, it just brings a few months added chaos before it all comes together in the same place as a hard brexit. So anyone saying they can’t support no deal are thoroughly dishonest hiding behind no deal often bigging it up up with chaff, by not admitting it’s any hard brexit they can’t bring themselves to accept.

That is all good and well. except:
    *) IME the UKIP-entry 'Boriservative' party is not about being modern, progressive or inclusive. Hence the UKIP-candidate who once complained about the evils of immigration in front of my wife.
    *) Farage is not 'neo-Thatcherite'. He's the first Faragist.
    *) I'm intrigued about what you think the cause of 'Britain’s decline in this world' actually was.
  • Options
    So which climate change denier is taking over at Environment?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

Is that a demoation?
    He's not the one with the moat, is he?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

Is that a demoation?
    No, maybe a bit upwards. The job is basically a roving fix-it position - Lidington had it last, and he was deputy PM.
    But Gove isn’t.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

Mogg has good qualities for Leader of the House, he is polite, unflappable, quick witted, good on detail, rules and precedents.

Presumably can’t chair ERG from there?
  • Options

She’s just put her foot in it.
  • Options

I wonder if Zac might get it. He'd be good.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

Jezbollah still responding to every single thing that ever happens with "we need a general election". So call a confidence vote you gutless scum coward.

We've been here before - he was pushed into a VONC vote against May which strengthened her. It's worse than useless unless you think you might win. Putting one on dissolution day to be voted on when they get back sounds a more interesting tactic.
    So what’s the point of calling rallies demanding a GE then?
  • Options

She certainly knows her plaice. That's pure whitebait for her constituents. She;s singing the right tuna for them.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Will she have time to re-introduce the death penalty?
    No. But this administration cannot have a single vote on anything other than an extra bank holiday or an MPs pay rise as they would now lose it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Future Tory leader playing it well.....

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1154097077158318081?s=20
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    alex. said:

rkrkrk said:

Johnson is hardly going to reject someone on the grounds of lying to their boss. Has he ever had a boss he hasn’t lied to?
    One of those rare occasions where I was hoping for hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Johnson is assembling the most right wing government this country has ever had. The Tories have basically become the BXP. It's a huge gamble. But one that Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour party makes possible. I suspect it will win Johnson his election, but what happens subsequently will destroy the Tories for years to come.

Of course it was Foot as LOTO that allowed Thatcher to turn further and further right.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Mogg has good qualities for Leader of the House, he is polite, unflappable, quick witted, good on detail, rules and precedents.

Presumably can’t chair ERG from there?
    There must be a parallel universe for leavers. Is this possibly the same guy who said he had the votes to oust May in November, failed multiple times, then when he lost the vote said the rules had to change so he could re-vote?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

Is that a demoation?
    I always think that D of L is a non job, usually awarded to people on the way out of Government. It is almost like a joke job! Dispensed by a PM as a humiliation to see if the victim have enough sense to turn it down or not...
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Dame Carrie Symonds.
  • Options

Of course it was Foot as LOTO that allowed Thatcher to turn further and further right.
    https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1154093304327356416

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1154093310123872258
  • Options

That would be a good appointment.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Do you mean Varadkar?
    Yes I meant Varadkar and I normally spell it correctly. Smashed my phone last week so currently on a 7 year old iPhone 5 until my Samsung S9 comes back from insurance. The keyboard is very unfamiliar now so I keep making mistakes.
    Certainly a lot of your recent posts appear to be mistaken. ;)
  • Options

She certainly knows her plaice. That's pure whitebait for her constituents. She;s singing the right tuna for them.
    I can't see her being a success, bet the policy flounders.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Yet to hear a convincing rationale behind this Cabinet. I mean Patel, Williamson?
    This plan better be super cunning, cos so far no one on PB seems to have seen it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

No, he is the voice of bitter experience.
    When it comes to Gove ydoethur is the voice of utter lunacy.
  • Options
    Farage to House of Lords and Cabinet now seems likely.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I can't see her being a success, bet the policy flounders.
    And what about the intercostal towns ?

Can they breathe easy ?

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

GIN1138 said:

Govey got something-

Is that a demoation?
    He's not the one with the moat, is he?
    You really gouing to start nit picking over spelling mistakes in this heat? :D
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dixiedean said:

Yet to hear a convincing rationale behind this Cabinet. I mean Patel, Williamson?
    This plan better be super cunning, cos so far no one on PB seems to have seen it.

They all drank the Kool Aid
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    dixiedean said:

It's the Conservatives versus the Brexit Party as a reprise of Vote Leave versus Leave EU.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

They are so crap they will not show up Johnson.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

He's a good friend of BJ's.
  • Options

Zac has been poisoned by the same issue that Watson has (Brittan and the Beech affair) . I don't care how much he cares for animals or the environment: when it comes to people and common decency he's utter scum.

Come to mention it: you were rather aggrieved the other day about a Labour apparatchik being 'hounded' whilst having cancer. Have you had a chance to look back in your posts to show where you showed similar concern about Leon Brittan?

Or is it just Labourites who deserve such compassion?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

dixiedean said:

It's the Conservatives versus the Brexit Party as a reprise of Vote Leave versus Leave EU.
    That is about right.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

You have to remember ydoethur being intelligent and knowledgeable about education has a deep, almost psychotic, hatred for Gove. It is one area where he becomes perfectly rational.
    FTFY.
This discussion has been closed.