Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’ve resigned from the Conservative Party

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited July 2019
    I think Bozos lost the plot already .

Some of the sackings are just vindictive and he seems to be assembling a cabinet of Borg drones .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    What a load of jingoistic drivel from Johnson.

Repulsive creature.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    TOPPING said:

I didn't want Boris for PM, would not have voted for him had I had the choice in the leadership vote and fear he will be a poor PM.

But in spite of that I really, truly want to be wrong. There are too many people on here almost revelling in the fact they think that he will be a disaster and will lead our country to ruin. This seems a really stupid attitude to take unless you are from another country and think badly of this country and its people and wish them harm.

So I fear a Boris premiership for all the reasons I have stated in the past but I really do fervently want him to succeed and prove me utterly wrong.

Yes I agree with that, for the sake of the country I want him to succeed. But that doesn't or wouldn't detract from the fact that he is a toerag. Hence I don't hold truck with the "let's see how he gets on" mantra. He is imo unfit to be PM however he gets on but, like you, I hope he succeeds although I imagine your "succeed" and my "succeed" differs somewhat.
    I think you would be surprised how close they are. I can't think of many subjects outside of Brexit where we have disagreed that much and even there I would much prefer the EFTA equivalent to anything else.

I agree with you about his character though. Funnily enough I would put him much closer to Churchill than others for that reason. Churchill was also an utterly unscrupulous bastard when he wanted to be and would happily sell people down the river. Boris wouldn't like the Churchillian comparisons I would make.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    tpfkar said:

I always hated Penny Mordaunt for her lies about Turkey in the referendum campaign and her refusal to apologise - Cameron should have sacked her on the spot - but actually disappointed she's going today, she seemed like a grown up in a group of kids.

that will be the Turkey that was four weeks away from entering Schengen at the time of the referendum?
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

rcs1000 said:

I think the fundamental problem is this.

Is the Conservative Party driven by what is the best for the long-term success of the United Kingdom? Or is driven by opinion polls?

Does it do the right thing, knowing it might be electorally popular in the short-term?

Or does it do something it knows to be foolish, on the basis that it is more popular?

Do we want a party who leads? Or one who slavishly follows the latest YouGov?

This is becoming a viciously right wing government. Being a supporter of Brexit is not good enough. But I would have thought Morduant and Fox were also pretty right wing.
    How about waiting for the appointments before deciding the new government is viciously right wing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    edited July 2019
    IanB2 said:

We are dealing with a narcissist looking only for acolytes.

"Britain Trump".

With a touch of Joe Biden, apparently; he cribbed Bill Clinton's convention speech -
    Look, I love our country so much. And I know we’re coming back. For more than 200 years, through every crisis, we’ve always come back. (Cheers.) People have predicted our demise ever since George Washington was criticised for being a mediocre surveyor with a bad set of wooden false teeth. (Laughter.) And so far, every single person that’s bet against America has lost money because we always come back. (Cheers, applause.) We come through ever fire a little stronger and a little better....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    HYUFD said:
    You haven’t posted Putin’s congratulations, which have already been given.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    notme2 said:

tpfkar said:

I always hated Penny Mordaunt for her lies about Turkey in the referendum campaign and her refusal to apologise - Cameron should have sacked her on the spot - but actually disappointed she's going today, she seemed like a grown up in a group of kids.

that will be the Turkey that was four weeks away from entering Schengen at the time of the referendum?
    No it wasn't. Do you really believe that? If so it just shows how effective the lies were.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Is the Conservative Party driven by what is the best for the long-term success of the United Kingdom? Or is driven by opinion polls?

Does it do the right thing, knowing it might be electorally popular in the short-term?

Or does it do something it knows to be foolish, on the basis that it is more popular?

This is becoming a viciously right wing government. Being a supporter of Brexit is not good enough. But I would have thought Morduant and Fox were also pretty right wing.
    But Boris is not viciously right wing.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

This reshuffle is shaping up as vengeful and stupid.

It does look excessively personal

But I do believe that any incoming PM has the right to completely reshape their team. No-one should expect to stay in post
    Whilst I agree, this is clearly dropping people which were of value and talent.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    justin124 said:

OllyT said:

I should know this but is there a minimum period between a GE being called and polling day?

The reason I ask is that we are abroad for about 6 weeks in September/October and I have just discovered that I cannot appoint a proxy without knowing the date of the election I want it for.

The problem is I could well be abroad by the time I know a date and talking to the Electoral Registration office trying to do it whilst abroad sounds a bit hit and miss to say the least. It's a bit of a Catch-22. Anybody got any suggestions?

The FTPA stipulates at least 25 working days - ie 5 weeks - between Dissolution and Polling Day.

Thanks very much
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    nico67 said:

Some of the sackings are just vindictive and he seems to be assembling a cabinet of Borg drones .

The reshuffle is certainly proving to be more interesting than expected.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    If Boris Johnson appoints Andrea Leadsom as Chancellor of the Exchequer I can forgive him for all his sins.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think that misunderstands it. I think these sackings are far more personal and based on Boris grudges than on particular policy. I am not sure which is worse.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Not yet at least, apart from Maudant.
    Fox. Clark. Apparent attempt to demote Hunt.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Can we please just skip straight to the VONCing?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    notme2 said:

rcs1000 said:

But Boris is not viciously right wing.
    Just blindly ambitious.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

IanB2 said:

Francois back as a minister....?

no no no no no no no no no no
    Francois for Defence. Wasn't he Armed forces minister?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I didn't want Boris for PM, would not have voted for him had I had the choice in the leadership vote and fear he will be a poor PM.

But in spite of that I really, truly want to be wrong. There are too many people on here almost revelling in the fact they think that he will be a disaster and will lead our country to ruin. This seems a really stupid attitude to take unless you are from another country and think badly of this country and its people and wish them harm.

So I fear a Boris premiership for all the reasons I have stated in the past but I really do fervently want him to succeed and prove me utterly wrong.

I'd agree with that.
  • Options
    Grayling going
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,968
    This is an entire clear out of a failed Cabinet. We need to see who comes in, before dismissing it as hard Right.
    Nonetheless, very bold to bring in so many with so little experience.
    Grayling, Brokenshire gone.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

The Conservative Party is exactly that, a conservative party committed to national sovereignty, tradition etc, if you are really a globalist free trader above all you are ideologically really an Orange Book LD

I've pointed it out to you before, and I shall do so again. When you use a term like "globalist", you are aligning yourself with the language of the far right. It is the "rootless cosmopolitan" of our times. I'm not accusing you of being an out-and-out fascist, but if you keep using this terminology (which also sounds dumb in the manner of a spot-ridden loser wanking over white power websites under a username like Heimdall), and RTing stuff about Bolsonaro and Salvini, we will have to draw our own conclusions.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    TOPPING said:

On topic well done Richard not an easy decision. I intend to wait until Oct 31st before I submit my resignation. Not because I think he might prove himself not to be an arsehole, we're way beyond that, but because it is possible that there will be another leadership election shortly and I would at that time like to make my vote count. I think by October 31st or thereabouts we will have a clearer idea of when that election might be.

+1
  • Options
    Brokenshire takes it to 11, I think
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

Clark was mediocre at best and along with Fox was always likely for the chop. Let’s see the full picture with the appointments too. I may well end up agreeing with you. But still too early to say.
  • Options

JohnO said:

It's not so long ago that people on here were slating Fox...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

The reshuffle is certainly proving to be more interesting than expected.
    New PM wants a new Cabinet.

I'm not sure why people are surprised...
  • Options
    Has there been the LD reshuffle yet?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Small chance for Jason Roy to be out twice on his first day of test cricket?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Can we assume Hunt will have a position considering he’s not been sacked yet?

I think Foreign. That's why Williamson is going back to Defence. Morduant sacrificed or sacked for supporting Hunt. That's the conundrum !
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I should know this but is there a minimum period between a GE being called and polling day?

The reason I ask is that we are abroad for about 6 weeks in September/October and I have just discovered that I cannot appoint a proxy without knowing the date of the election I want it for.

The problem is I could well be abroad by the time I know a date and talking to the Electoral Registration office trying to do it whilst abroad sounds a bit hit and miss to say the least. It's a bit of a Catch-22. Anybody got any suggestions?

So you might end of being disenfrainshed for an election - just deal with - do you know the odds on your one vote actually making a difference?
    I asked if anyone knew the minimum timetable for a GE not whether you are bothered whether I lose my vote or not.
    There's an easy solution. Download the application form nearer the date from, for example, https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/222465/Particular-election-proxy-vote-application-form.pdf or the Electoral Services dept of yoiur local authority. Or go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-vote-proxy

Complete the form, take it to a post office or the local equivalent of Mailboxes etc abroad and send it by a courier-style method to your Electoral Services dept in the UK.

There's nothing remotely hit and miss about this. Returning Officers live in the 21st century and are, in my experience, highly efficient at getting you your vite.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This is an entire clear out of a failed Cabinet. We need to see who comes in, before dismissing it as hard Right.

A failed Cabinet of which Mr Johnson was himself one of the most senior members for two and a half years of May's three as PM.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yes I agree with that, for the sake of the country I want him to succeed. But that doesn't or wouldn't detract from the fact that he is a toerag. Hence I don't hold truck with the "let's see how he gets on" mantra. He is imo unfit to be PM however he gets on but, like you, I hope he succeeds although I imagine your "succeed" and my "succeed" differs somewhat.
    I think you would be surprised how close they are. I can't think of many subjects outside of Brexit where we have disagreed that much and even there I would much prefer the EFTA equivalent to anything else.

I agree with you about his character though. Funnily enough I would put him much closer to Churchill than others for that reason. Churchill was also an utterly unscrupulous bastard when he wanted to be and would happily sell people down the river. Boris wouldn't like the Churchillian comparisons I would make.
    I too wish him with success in the objectives he set out earlier, except Brexit, re-election, and longevity in office.
  • Options
    Montgomerie R4 speculating that Cummings may have steered Bozo toward a major clear out.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Only concern so far is we have had no "I will serve from the backbenches" Tweet from failing Grayling yet.

He's gone!
    Is that a sign that HS2 or the Third runway at Heathrow are under threat? Grayling pushed both of them very strongly. Is Johnson making sure there are no protest resignations when he wields the axe on either project?
    I'm interested to see if he promotes Zac. They are very close. Zac of course is strongly opposed to the Third runway.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    One thing is clear there are way too many on the bb's now to get no deal through.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Conservative Party is exactly that, a conservative party committed to national sovereignty, tradition etc, if you are really a globalist free trader above all you are ideologically really an Orange Book LD

So you're saying Mrs Thatcher was really an Orange Book LD?

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/104741

We are one world. None of us can opt out of that world and every one of us is affected by the decisions and policies of our neighbours.

No-one understands this more than the City of London. Your whole history has been the story of adventure. Of venturing throughout the world to carry British goods and to sell British services wherever a market could be found. For centuries the City has understood the meaning of one world.

Yet there are those in our society who would cut us off from all our links: who would have us cower in isolation from our neighbours in Europe, from our allies in North America and from all those institutions which help to support the free world. We reject totally that attitude which would diminish Britain.

The free world—yes, if one world is to have any real meaning, it must find it in freedom. All our economic interests, all our moral and spiritual needs reach out for freedom. We are a sea-faring race, a race of merchants and empire builders. It is not our destiny to huddle together in these islands, protecting ourselves from the winds of change and competition. And tied to our merchant venturing, has been our spirit—the free spirit—which has so marked our nation down the centuries.

My Lord Mayor, in overcoming the problems which face this country, we shall need to draw upon all the strengths of one nation. But even that will not be enough, for all our interests lead us towards the creation of one world. And everything which we have learnt and experienced makes us determined to work for one free world. That is our history. That is our destiny.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

So you might end of being disenfrainshed for an election - just deal with - do you know the odds on your one vote actually making a difference?
    I asked if anyone knew the minimum timetable for a GE not whether you are bothered whether I lose my vote or not.
    Well, As you are confident in someone sufficiently to appoint them as your proxy you DO NOT have a problem in the real world. Fill out the form and sign it without the date and they can fill in the date etc and hand it in. If you can't trust them to do that then they are not appropriate to be a proxy.

BUT, I'm pretty sure you can apply for a permanent proxy at any time. But go to your local registration authority unitary / district. They are always much more helpful.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

I too wish him with success in the objectives he set out earlier, except Brexit, re-election, and longevity in office.
    I suspect that unfortunately for you, if he does manage to succeed in all the others then those three ae probably a shoe in.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

A failed Cabinet of which Mr Johnson was himself one of the most senior members for two and a half years of May's three as PM.
    Well, yes. However, I can hardly be called a Boris apologist. Like Swinson yesterday, though, he needs a chance, rather than being dismissed.
    If his Cabinet is of the Francois, Patel, Raab wing I will join the pile on.
  • Options
    Clearly he does not expect to conclude anything with the EU. Why make so many enemies ? He is going for an Election before October 31st. He has already made his first pitch. It is the EU's fault if there is No Deal.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Shagger barely had a majority even on paper. With so many angry ex cabinet ministers now on the back benches he absolutely won't have a majority to get anything done at all.

Either he thinks no laws are needed for Brexit to happen, or he's planning an election. If the former then when he finds out laws are needed then its an election
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2019
    An election before 10th October now looks unlikely.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Mango said:

HYUFD said:

I've pointed it out to you before, and I shall do so again. When you use a term like "globalist", you are aligning yourself with the language of the far right. It is the "rootless cosmopolitan" of our times. I'm not accusing you of being an out-and-out fascist, but if you keep using this terminology (which also sounds dumb in the manner of a spot-ridden loser wanking over white power websites under a username like Heimdall), and RTing stuff about Bolsonaro and Salvini, we will have to draw our own conclusions.
    Putting national sovereignty first is hardly far right and I have tweeted Trudeau, Sanchez and Varadkar as much as Bolsonaro, Brazilian President and Salvini, whose party leads Italian polls
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited July 2019
    Because of the preoccupation with Brexit most of these people in the Cabinet haven't had the chance to make any sort of impact in their brief so they can comfortably be cleared. I didn't even know Hinds was Education Secretary.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

The Cummings appointment has left some in the EU wondering if a pre-deadline election is the only thing on the cards, and I too wonder if they're right.
  • Options
    Penny Mordaunt was sacked apparently.
  • Options
    "DUP to support Johnson’s minority administration"

https://www.ft.com/content/d4b2ad70-ad5d-11e9-8030-530adfa879c2
  • Options

Clearly he does not expect to conclude anything with the EU. Why make so many enemies ? He is going for an Election before October 31st. He has already made his first pitch. It is the EU's fault if there is No Deal.

Well. That is an ever so predictable pitch. However, I don't think that will change many minds.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Brokenshire takes it to 11, I think

This reshuffle goes to 11!

Boris Johnson, the Spinal Tap of Prime Ministers.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Why do you say that? Curious.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We are one world. None of us can opt out of that world and every one of us is affected by the decisions and policies of our neighbours.

No-one understands this more than the City of London. Your whole history has been the story of adventure. Of venturing throughout the world to carry British goods and to sell British services wherever a market could be found. For centuries the City has understood the meaning of one world.

Yet there are those in our society who would cut us off from all our links: who would have us cower in isolation from our neighbours in Europe, from our allies in North America and from all those institutions which help to support the free world. We reject totally that attitude which would diminish Britain.

The free world—yes, if one world is to have any real meaning, it must find it in freedom. All our economic interests, all our moral and spiritual needs reach out for freedom. We are a sea-faring race, a race of merchants and empire builders. It is not our destiny to huddle together in these islands, protecting ourselves from the winds of change and competition. And tied to our merchant venturing, has been our spirit—the free spirit—which has so marked our nation down the centuries.

My Lord Mayor, in overcoming the problems which face this country, we shall need to draw upon all the strengths of one nation. But even that will not be enough, for all our interests lead us towards the creation of one world. And everything which we have learnt and experienced makes us determined to work for one free world. That is our history. That is our destiny.
    We want Free Trade Agreements with the EU and USA and the rest of the world, just our own not EU ones
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Penny Mordaunt was sacked apparently.

The whole "Boris doesnt do confrontation" thing doesnt seem to be playing out.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    I am struggling to see how he fills the payroll vote. If his mates get all the cabinet positions, how many are willing to accept demotions for what could a be govt of a couple of months. Maybe we dont need 150+ govt MPs, guessing a mix of doubling up roles and a few Lords will be needed.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Karen Bradley out too according to Guido.
  • Options
    Karen Bradley to leave government.
  • Options
    In reality, how common is it for sacked Ministers to accept it with good grace? How many subsequently look for every available excuse to vote against the PM concerned as a simple act of revenge?
  • Options
    Karen Bradley also gone.

So that's two former NI Secretaries sacked today.
  • Options
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The give away from the Bozo speech .

At some point in the future we will come out of the customs union and regulatory alignment .

Looks like a long transition and gives folk desperate to escape the shit show more time to do that .
  • Options

Karen Bradley also gone.

Karen Bradley didn't exactly impress many people in her job.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    I really feel for you @Richard_Nabavi.

I am not a Tory but you have always struck me as the best sort of Conservative.

A once great party is dying before our eyes.

How is the Boris/ERG putsch going?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We want Free Trade Agreements with the EU and USA and the rest of the world, just our own not EU ones
    But the irony is over the last sixish years the EU commission has got very good at making trade deals...
  • Options
    The one person I didn't expect to get sacked was Penny Mordaunt. Very surprising.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Significant comment from HMQ there. She's likely to mean : a bad situation now, rather than in general.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Are we going to see some departmental mergers/changes?

Putting trade and business back together?

Splitting Social Care off into a dedicated department?

Merge Scottish and Welsh Offices into a Dept for the Devolved Nations?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

In reality, how common is it for sacked Ministers to accept it with good grace? How many subsequently look for every available excuse to vote against the PM concerned as a simple act of revenge?

Problem is that previously, they could leave Parliament, like Osborne and many others over the years.
    There can't be by-elections now under any circumstances. Stewing on the back benches when you know you can earn several times more elsewhere is a volatile combination.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Why do you say that? Curious.
    Because Parliament goes into recess tomorrow and does not return until 3rd September.The earliest Thursday then possible would be 10th October.If Corbyn failed to co-operate in the way he did in April 2017 , the date would be pushed back to 24th October.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Barnesian said:

Only concern so far is we have had no "I will serve from the backbenches" Tweet from failing Grayling yet.

He's gone!
    Is that a sign that HS2 or the Third runway at Heathrow are under threat? Grayling pushed both of them very strongly. Is Johnson making sure there are no protest resignations when he wields the axe on either project?
    I'm interested to see if he promotes Zac. They are very close. Zac of course is strongly opposed to the Third runway.
    Of course he will over promote the Eton educated son a billionaire - dont forgot how anti the elite Boris is according to some!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    tpfkar said:

This article only increases my already high respect for Richard N. Can't have been at all easy to write. Well done Sir.

he wasn't wrestling a bear, it was only leaving a poxy political party. Like deciding whether or not to wash your hair, get a grip.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1154067867429740547

In other news how on earth did they make new twitter worse than the previous version...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Did she even say it, or was it a joke?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Looking forward to see the buffoon's cabinet - bingo card needed for how many headbangers are rewarded for all their 'contributions' in recent years..
  • Options
    Javid in 10 - he's gonna do the big four tonight!!!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The give away from the Bozo speech .

At some point in the future we will come out of the customs union and regulatory alignment .

Looks like a long transition and gives folk desperate to escape the shit show more time to do that .

You could be right. He will say we are definitely out but he will ask the EU for a longer extension. He will explain away the 31st October by saying the decision has been taken to leave. No further negotiations. The extension is simply to mitigate the consequences of exiting the EU.

Of course, the EU has to agree. Macron could just say "Fuck off"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    HYUFD said:
    And so another few thousand votes head towards LibDems.

Keep it up Seamus, you are doing just fine!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222

I am struggling to see how he fills the payroll vote. If his mates get all the cabinet positions, how many are willing to accept demotions for what could a be govt of a couple of months. Maybe we dont need 150+ govt MPs, guessing a mix of doubling up roles and a few Lords will be needed.

og

I see what you mean, he really is cutting this fine. Once you've fired the Remainers, the May-dealers, the Hunt supporters, the pool that is left is pretty small and not exactly impressive. This is going to be a very fragile government. Suppose some of these late "big beasts" decide to go into the private sector? BoJo then faces some horrible by elections and gradually loses control over events.

• Options

notme2 said:

tpfkar said:

No it wasn't. Do you really believe that? If so it just shows how effective the lies were.
    Yes. It was their coup and the response to it which smashed it all away. Turkey joining schengen was a live issue at the referendum and perfectly legitimate to say entry to that was imminent. Of course full on membership was still some time away.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

Problem is that previously, they could leave Parliament, like Osborne and many others over the years.
    There can't be by-elections under any circumstances.
    Well, that depends! If a sacked Minister decides his/her career is at end, there is nothing to prevent them resigning their seats. That might be a form of revenge in itself!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Grayling confirms that he was horrified to be told that he was Secretary of State for Transport. "I had no idea" he told officials before promptly resigning
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Flanner said:

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

There's an easy solution. Download the application form nearer the date from, for example, https://www.yourvotematters.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/222465/Particular-election-proxy-vote-application-form.pdf or the Electoral Services dept of yoiur local authority. Or go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-vote-proxy

Complete the form, take it to a post office or the local equivalent of Mailboxes etc abroad and send it by a courier-style method to your Electoral Services dept in the UK.

There's nothing remotely hit and miss about this. Returning Officers live in the 21st century and are, in my experience, highly efficient at getting you your vite.
    Thanks for the advice. I have applied for postal votes three times in the past few years because I was going to be away but none arrived before we left - the second wave of postal votes (ie those applied for after an election has been called) go out very late in the day and I am told that a good percentage do not arrive in time.

What surprised me when I talked to the ER office is that you cannot appoint a proxy until you know the date of the election and that is a problem if you spend long periods abroad. Yes you can try to sort it out while you are abroad if an election is called but it seems unnecessarily cumbersome.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

og

I see what you mean, he really is cutting this fine. Once you've fired the Remainers, the May-dealers, the Hunt supporters, the pool that is left is pretty small and not exactly impressive. This is going to be a very fragile government. Suppose some of these late "big beasts" decide to go into the private sector? BoJo then faces some horrible by elections and gradually loses control over events.

Slimming down the payroll vote is no bad thing. Do we need so many departments and associated ministers?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, this must have been very painful for Richard.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

There can't be by-elections under any circumstances.
    Well, that depends! If a sacked Minister decides his/her career is at end, there is nothing to prevent them resigning their seats. That might be a form of revenge in itself!
    Indeed. Especially since many could earn more in other ways.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

tpfkar said:

Yes. It was their coup and the response to it which smashed it all away. Turkey joining schengen was a live issue at the referendum and perfectly legitimate to say entry to that was imminent. Of course full on membership was still some time away.
    This is simply wrong. There was a deal for a visa waiver programme for travel to the Schengen zone, which is not the same thing as joining Schengen at all. Saying that Turkey was about to join Schengen would have been a lie.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Yes, I thought it was generally accepted that you don't quote what the monarch says to you in private.
  • Options
    I guess Johnson's reasoning may be that the numbers aren't there in any event, so don't even bother building a coalition to try to get a deal through. Make it clear that it's absolutely HIS Government, tempt over Brexit Party voters, goad the Commons into a VONC, then fight a snap election effectively as the Boris Johnson Party.
  • Options
  • Options

Looking forward to see the buffoon's cabinet - bingo card needed for how many headbangers are rewarded for all their 'contributions' in recent years..

Am quitting tonight if Andrew Bridgen becomes a minister.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,781
    AndyJS said:

Karen Bradley also gone.

Karen Bradley didn't exactly impress many people in her job.
    I quite like her. She did not have much knowledge (and far too little for somebody in politics) but she showed herself willing to learn and applied herself. There are many who will go further who are a lot less deserving.
This discussion has been closed.