Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’ve resigned from the Conservative Party

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’ve resigned from the Conservative Party

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First like Boris
  • Options
    The most important resignation yet!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sorry to see you go Mr Nabavi especially on a day I feel free to rejoin the party.

Having experienced your disenchantment and disappointment 3 years ago when May was chosen it isn't something I would wish on anyone. I feel like all my worst fears came true with May. I hope for all our sakes that your fears with Boris don't come true and that before long you can feel free to rejoin.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    A brilliant piece written by a genuine patriot. All sensible Tories should be terrified about what has happened to their party. Its very survival now depends not on Boris Johnson, but Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    If you preferred coalition with the LDs to a Boris led Tory Party and are unwilling to accept the Leave vote the clear majority of Tory voters and members voted for let alone the country to regain sovereignty and control our borders and do free trade deals then you may well be better off in the LDs than the Tories.

The Conservative Party is exactly that, a conservative party committed to national sovereignty, tradition etc, if you are really a globalist free trader above all you are ideologically really an Orange Book LD
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

If you preferred coalition with the LDs to a Boris led Tory Party and are unwilling to accept the Leave vote the clear majority of Tory voters and members voted for let alone the country to regain sovereignty and control our borders and do free trade deals then you may well be better off in the LDs than the Tories.

The Conservative Party is exactly that, a conservative party committed to national sovereignty, tradition etc, if you are really a globalist free trader above all you are ideologically really an Orange Book LD

“We don’t want your vote. Or yours!”
  • Options
    Complete and utter drivel. A series of opinions and platitudes without a shred of evidence to back them up. Most people want to leave the EU with a clean break. Websites like PB merely give disappointed losers a platform to air their vacuous grievances. Roll on 31 October ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You're a young man, aren't you?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,403
    Sad it has come to this, I suspect I’ll be joining you on the 31st of October.

The truly tragic thing is that we’re ensuring a Corbyn Premiership with Johnson’s approach.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Is Trump a "globalist free trader" ? He certainly wants to use the processes of globalisation to get a hugely advantageous free trade deal for him over Britain - and he's your new best friend.
  • Options
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Surely this is a ‘shuffle’ rather than a ‘reshuffle’?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

“We don’t want your vote. Or yours!”

The full Cobynisation of the former Conservative and Unionist party is nearing completion.

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Pathetic. Nabavi won't even give Boris a chance to show what he can do as PM.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I'm a globalist free trader and I prefer the Tories thank you very much.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    So Nabbersexit did indeed happen before Brexit! :D
  • Options

The truly tragic thing is that we’re ensuring a Corbyn Premiership with Johnson’s approach.

I wouldn't go that far.

• Options
    He already was. It was a disaster as he learned about the importance of Calais to Dover.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921
    FPT
    Fenster said:

» show previous quotes
    Thank you Malcolm, as a fellow Celt help yourself to a brandy! :)

Fenster , I bought a nice Woodford Reserve Bourbon at the weekend I will indulge and toast your good health tonight.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

The contradictions and inherent internal instability of Brexit in a nutshell. Johnson is also a globalist free trader, by upbringing and by inclination - but can't help playing to the gallery , to whichever direction gets loudest applause, but also to whichever wing of the room his narcissism feels most satisfied in, since Oxford.
  • Options

It was the appalling May who nearly led to PM Corbyn and might have had ot not been for Ruth Davidson.
  • Options
    He has more geography to learn, no doubt, but should the British taxpayer be funding it?

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Kudos to Richard for his honesty and principle; he deserves a lot more respect than those who have used their potential resignation as a debating point then, when the moment comes, put their career or other self interest first.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Comment from foreign wife, having watched TV for the last couple of hours: more like Johnny English than James Bond.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Well done Richard. There's always a home with the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    HYUFD said:

It may be that now, but if so how long can it possibly together? Not just the voters, the members, but the MPs? And in my living memory (a shade under 40 years, but still) that version of the Conservative party has never won an election. It's not the party of Cameron, Major, nor of Thatcher in my limited recollection - I wouldn't have called her a traditionalist!
  • Options
    Mordaunt to back benches - Adam Boulton on Sky.
  • Options
    Mordaunt "heading to the backbenches" via Sky
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    I should know this but is there a minimum period between a GE being called and polling day?

The reason I ask is that we are abroad for about 6 weeks in September/October and I have just discovered that I cannot appoint a proxy without knowing the date of the election I want it for.

The problem is I could well be abroad by the time I know a date and talking to the Electoral Registration office trying to do it whilst abroad sounds a bit hit and miss to say the least. It's a bit of a Catch-22. Anybody got any suggestions?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    HYUFD said:

And meanwhile you are a Remoaning remaining enemy and should also leave the party. If you think you are welcome in the current Conservative party you are labouring under a huge misapprehension.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    I wish you all the best, Richard.
    You are one of the most courteous and sensible Tories I have encountered (despite my occasional ribbing of you).

The contemptuous reaction from the new model party representatives in the comments, to the decision of so long standing a member, suggests that you made the right judgment.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I should know this but is there a minimum period between a GE being called and polling day?

The reason I ask is that we are abroad for about 6 weeks in September/October and I have just discovered that I cannot appoint a proxy without knowing the date of the election I want it for.

The problem is I could well be abroad by the time I know a date and talking to the Electoral Registration office trying to do it whilst abroad sounds a bit hit and miss to say the least. It's a bit of a Catch-22. Anybody got any suggestions?

So you might end of being disenfrainshed for an election - just deal with - do you know the odds on your one vote actually making a difference?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Is Boris doing the demotions/sackings first?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Morduant leaving government. This is not going well.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Awww crap. Penny's a good un.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284
    Penny to backbenches has annoyed me considerably
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Has anyone been appointed yet ?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

She jumped
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    OllyT said:

If you know the proxy well, pre-complete and sign the form and leave the date blank for them to fill in.

Or take the form with you and complete and send it to the council from abroad, as soon as you hear the news.

Or appoint a permanent proxy for all future elections and then cancel this when you get back. (Edit/ although on reflection this might fall foul of having a good reason)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

And meanwhile you are a Remoaning remaining enemy and should also leave the party. If you think you are welcome in the current Conservative party you are labouring under a huge misapprehension.
    Anyone who accepts the Leave vote and does not want to stop Brexit is welcome in the Boris led Tory Party, however they voted in 2016
  • Options
    Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, Johnson's best buddy is not having a great day ...
    https://twitter.com/RyanHillMI/status/1154044858580869129
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859

Time to follow Richard N

It's not your party anymore.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I'll be honest, maybe I'm stupid (I am pretty stupid) but I don't get why, for a lifelong stalwart Tory member, Boris becoming leader is any more depressing than May becoming leader?

I thought May was massively unsuited to leadership. Not unsuited to a cabinet role, but very much unsuited to leading a political party in modern times.

My instinct is that Boris will be much better at it. A better delegator, communicator and listener.

The circumstances in which both of them have had to operate as PM are obviously very tough, but May was a disastrous pick from the start for me. I just couldn't get my head round it.
  • Options
    On topic well done Richard not an easy decision. I intend to wait until Oct 31st before I submit my resignation. Not because I think he might prove himself not to be an arsehole, we're way beyond that, but because it is possible that there will be another leadership election shortly and I would at that time like to make my vote count. I think by October 31st or thereabouts we will have a clearer idea of when that election might be.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    Sandpit said:

She mustn't be cock-a-hoop about Bozo's premiership.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    These boilerplate congratulations from world leaders are getting slightly tedious.
  • Options

Penny out >

< Priti
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I respect Richard greatly and am saddened by his resignation

My membership depends on Boris getting a deal but without that I will follow Richard
  • Options

Precisely the opposite, failing to deliver Brexit would have ensured a Corbyn minority government propped up by the SNP and LDs by splitting the Tory vote with the Brexit Party or even led to a Farage premiership
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Complete and utter drivel. A series of opinions and platitudes without a shred of evidence to back them up. Most people want to leave the EU with a clean break. Websites like PB merely give disappointed losers a platform to air their vacuous grievances. Roll on 31 October ...

An opinion piece being full of opinion? Now I've heard everything.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Anyone who accepts the Leave vote and does not want to stop Brexit is welcome in the Boris led Tory Party, however they voted in 2016
    Rubbish. Says you because as a remainer you voted remain in 2016 whereas actually the party now thinks that you are the enemy. You are a remainer and hence not welcome. Even your mate Penny has fucked off.

You believe the UK should remain in the EU and that makes you a remainer enemy of Boris' administration.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Precisely the opposite, failing to deliver Brexit would have ensured a Corbyn minority government propped up by the SNP and LDs by splitting the Tory vote with the Brexit Party or even led to a Farage premiership
    You really struggle to engage with others’ points, don’t you? You are presented with complaints about the style and nature of a government and you respond with predictions of party political self interest.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

I'll be honest, maybe I'm stupid (I am pretty stupid) but I don't get why, for a lifelong stalwart Tory member, Boris becoming leader is any more depressing than May becoming leader?

I thought May was massively unsuited to leadership. Not unsuited to a cabinet role, but very much unsuited to leading a political party in modern times.

My instinct is that Boris will be much better at it. A better delegator, communicator and listener.

The circumstances in which both of them have had to operate as PM are obviously very tough, but May was a disastrous pick from the start for me. I just couldn't get my head round it.

Boris drives some people absolutety crackers...
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

My membership depends on Boris getting a deal but without that I will follow Richard

A far more sensible approach. At least give the man a chance.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Is Trump a "globalist free trader" ? He certainly wants to use the processes of globalisation to get a hugely advantageous free trade deal for him over Britain - and he's your new best friend.
    Trump is a Nationalist conservative
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    HYUFD said:

Contrary to perceived wisdom ideological purity re Brexit shouldn't define whether one is a Conservative or not.
    Not wanting a no deal Brexit doesn't make one a Lib Dem.

The single issue infatuation of some of the current Conservative party makes me wonder if they really belong in whatever Farage is calling his cult band of followers.

It's disappointing.
  • Options

Big G Boris is wholly unfit to be leader whether he gets a deal or not he does not deserve to have you as a party member.
  • Options

Pathetic. Nabavi won't even give Boris a chance to show what he can do as PM.

People are not obliged to if what the leader says they intend is anathema to that person.

What is pathetic is when political parties whine that supporters leave them. Those supporters and members dont owe anything to the new leader. If Boris does well and he fells leaving was a mistake he'll say so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes but you also want to do it as the UK not the EU and deliver Brexit so entirely in tune with the Tory commitment to national sovereignty
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I'm torn. I and most of my close family voted remain and Tory. I cannot do so any longer. However I cannot vote Labour and nor am I happy to vote LD as I continue to believe in a moderate Brexit in order to respect the result. Looks like I'll have to abstain
  • Options
    Ted Lieu is excellent.
    Quite witty, too.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

He appointed his Chief Whip (a REMAINER) last night. Other than that we've not heard any more.
  • Options
    Join Jo in the natural party of government *troll face*
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921

GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

clear the decks first
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    GIN1138 said:

Fenster said:

Agree. I honestly think people are overdoing it in the Boris hate. He was Mayor of London for eight years? Was he that controversial, awe-inspiring, right-wing, brilliant or terrible? Nope -he was a relatively run of the mill, optimistic, fairly oddball liberal Tory.

He has a big (arguably insurmountable) task on his hand to tackle Brexit, but I imagine his leadership will be similar to that of his mayoral stint.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You really don't understand the situation.

Sustained No Deal = A Corbyn Premiership

Leaving in an orderly fashion in say March 2020 = Should ensure the Tories remain the largest party in Parliament, do you honestly think in May 2022 Leavers will be upset that we didn't Leave in October 2019 that they'll vote Brexit party.

We're not ready for No Deal in October, we need to pass a dozen bills including a trade bill and financial services bill and we do not have the time to do so. On November 1st government revenues are going to fall of a cliff.

Don't worry the financial services sector doesn't contribute that much to the Exchequer.
  • Options
    basicbridgebasicbridge Posts: 674
    Sorry, but this article is drivel.

By far and away the greatest risk to the Conservative (and indeed to the UK's democratic integrity) would be a failure to deliver on Brexit. On that basis May has proven so far to be infinitely worse, less competent and more dangerous than Johnson to both her country and her party.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

It may be that now, but if so how long can it possibly together? Not just the voters, the members, but the MPs? And in my living memory (a shade under 40 years, but still) that version of the Conservative party has never won an election. It's not the party of Cameron, Major, nor of Thatcher in my limited recollection - I wouldn't have called her a traditionalist!
    Thatcher won on that platform to a large extent in 1983 and Howard won most votes in England on it in 2005.

Salisbury won multiple elections on it in the 19th century as did Disraeli against the Liberals
  • Options
    Fenster said:

GIN1138 said:

Fenster said:

Agree. I honestly think people are overdoing it in the Boris hate. He was Mayor of London for eight years? Was he that controversial, awe-inspiring, right-wing, brilliant or terrible? Nope -he was a relatively run of the mill, optimistic, fairly oddball liberal Tory.

He has a big (arguably insurmountable) task on his hand to tackle Brexit, but I imagine his leadership will be similar to that of his mayoral stint.
    The challenges are far different and his choices much more limited. What he wants to do may not figure into it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but you also want to do it as the UK not the EU and deliver Brexit so entirely in tune with the Tory commitment to national sovereignty
    While you, as evidenced by your 2016 vote, want to do it as the EU so not in tune with the Tory commitment to national sovereignty.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,214
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

"Just a scratch..."

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,210
    Richard - not sure congratulations is the right word, but congrats anyway for having the guts what cowards like me haven't been able to do - walk. Johnson - like Corbyn - is a disgrace of a leader. That the country has a choice of two absolute fools is about as depressing as it gets.

Unlike you I am staying in my party, then again we haven't just elected our spanner, and there is definite pressure being mustered to try and out the Jeremy. It won't work of course, but try I must.

Question - who is crazier in their possessed-by-Dracula loyalty to their respective leaders. HYUFD or Jezziah?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Big G Boris is wholly unfit to be leader whether he gets a deal or not he does not deserve to have you as a party member.
    And resigning would help who. I am willing to see what happens

I would say there seems to be a ferocious reaction from those who want to stop brexit indicating they must be worried Boris does succeed
  • Options
    felix said:

I'm torn. I and most of my close family voted remain and Tory. I cannot do so any longer. However I cannot vote Labour and nor am I happy to vote LD as I continue to believe in a moderate Brexit in order to respect the result. Looks like I'll have to abstain

DON'T ABSTAIN!!!

Pick the least worst. It is your vote!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Nevertheless you are destined to carry the black stain of fleeting common sense around with you inside the party until the end of your days (or the end of its days if sooner).
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Trump is a pathological egotist. He has no ideology, except himself.
  • Options

Richard - not sure congratulations is the right word, but congrats anyway for having the guts what cowards like me haven't been able to do - walk. Johnson - like Corbyn - is a disgrace of a leader. That the country has a choice of two absolute fools is about as depressing as it gets.

Unlike you I am staying in my party, then again we haven't just elected our spanner, and there is definite pressure being mustered to try and out the Jeremy. It won't work of course, but try I must.

Question - who is crazier in their possessed-by-Dracula loyalty to their respective leaders. HYUFD or Jezziah?

One is more Vicar of Bray than true believer, despite his ...infectious enthusiasm.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He's a supremacist globalist - hence he wants a wide-ranging exchange trade deal with Britain , clearly through all the processes and auspices of globalisation, but clearly also on his country's terms, using the power of economic and population domination and imbalance to achieve this.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

You really don't understand the situation.

Sustained No Deal = A Corbyn Premiership

Leaving in an orderly fashion in say March 2020 = Should ensure the Tories remain the largest party in Parliament, do you honestly think in May 2022 Leavers will be upset that we didn't Leave in October 2019 that they'll vote Brexit party.

We're not ready for No Deal in October, we need to pass a dozen bills including a trade bill and financial services bill and we do not have the time to do so. On November 1st government revenues are going to fall of a cliff.

Don't worry the financial services sector doesn't contribute that much to the Exchequer.
    If we don't leave in October we never will leave as MPs will always prefer extension or revoke over No Deal while also still refusing to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement unless the backstop is removed from the PD. That likely means the Brexit Party overtakes the Tories as the main party of the right at the next general election.

In any case on current polls the main beneficiaries of No Deal would be the LDs as more Remainers are voting LD with Yougov today than for Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    OllyT said:

The FTPA stipulates at least 25 working days - ie 5 weeks - between Dissolution and Polling Day.
  • Options
    BBC rightly leading with the “taking personal responsibility” segment of the speech, as the only bit that is really news.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    This article only increases my already high respect for Richard N. Can't have been at all easy to write. Well done Sir.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    These boilerplate congratulations from world leaders are getting slightly tedious.
    They’re standard now, we have to deal with them.

There was a good interview with GoD earlier, where he went through the process of “onboarding” a new PM. He kisses the Queen’s hand, goes to 10DS, gets the security briefing, then needs to write coherent and personal responses to a dozen or more world leaders who will be calling on the phone to offer their congratulations.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 121

I do wonder whether we will soon see an attempt to found a successor party. There are some obvious problems:

- CHUK already tried and failed
    - They might be blamed for bringing down the government/letting in Corbyn
    - In the present situation, it's not necessary for the immediate goal of influencing the government, since a caucus can be formed within the Parliamentary conservative party.

However for the longer term, it's not obvious that the sane faction can do much within the existing party other than fight a losing battle, as they will be under threat from deselection. To provide a sane version of the conservatives, it may be necessary to 'dismiss the membership and elect another', IE, form a new party.

Some advantages:
    - Business, rather than the membership, has always been the major support of the party anyway. Businesses may be receptive to an alternative to Boris 'F*ck Business' Johnson.
    - 96,000 members may not me that hard to replace, given enough funding.
    - It should be fairly easy not to make the same mistakes as CHUK. Some obvious names, for example: 'Serious Conservatives' , 'Sensible Conservatives', or even 'Sane Conservatives' (Not sure what the Electoral Commission rules are exactly, but they don't seem to completely object to other parties with 'Conservative' or 'Labour' in the name).
    - Boris will need a coalition with someone, and may actually not mind giving up the 31st Oct date as long as someone else forces him to do so.

One thing the CHUKkers proves though, is that a few defectors is not enough. It has to be a mass exodus or nothing. How many MPs are up for it?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    They’re standard now, we have to deal with them.

Do we need to repost every single one, though ?
  • Options
    Even leavers gone sane aren’t welcome now.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,450
    Boo re Penny. Genuinely disappointed at that one.
  • Options
    Looks like Shagger is sacking all the Hunt supporters.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

Contrary to perceived wisdom ideological purity re Brexit shouldn't define whether one is a Conservative or not.
    Not wanting a no deal Brexit doesn't make one a Lib Dem.

The single issue infatuation of some of the current Conservative party makes me wonder if they really belong in whatever Farage is calling his cult band of followers.

It's disappointing.
    Belief in No Deal Brexit is not required to be a Tory, belief in the Withdrawal Agreement or No Deal Brexit rather than No Brexit is, thus excluding Grieve, Greening and Gyimah etc who are really LDs now
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Nigelb said:

One is more Vicar of Bray than true believer, despite his ...infectious enthusiasm.
    Now you have me wondering which one that is ...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    That's the end of disgraced security risk Dr Fox then TSE! :D
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,450
    IanB2 said:

Even leavers gone sane aren’t welcome now.
    Are they resigning or being sacked? If it’s the latter I’m starting to think Bojo might actually be going for it and getting his team ready for an election.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Liam Fox gone this is going to be a very serious clear out of Mays mates and assorted duds (Mordaunt not a dud).
This discussion has been closed.