Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday evening open thread

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Sandpit said:

LIVERPOOL!!!

And they'll be dancing in the streets of Sheffield Hallam tonight :lol:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    JohnO said:

> @Quincel said:

> Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?

Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.

Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.

Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.

And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Liverpool win the Champions' League 2 0
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > ...and in Denmark, for Sunday's general election, the Danes swing sharply leftwards:
    >
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Danish_general_election

The right will win somehow......
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    > @Sandpit said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    >
    >
    >
    > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    >
    > Leave or remain has already been answered.
    >
    > To ask the same question again is like asking Liverpool to play Spurs again before the trophy gets handed out.

I know but political necessity now requires that it be asked again. Parliament isn’t going to sort out this shameful shambles, so their bosses (us) are going to have to do it. My guess is that Leave will win again and May’s Deal will be endorsed. Crazy but there you go.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...
  • Options
    🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Browsing the bookies tonight, I see PaddyPower/Betfair are still offering 4/1 on Theresa May being Tory leader at the next election!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > Really disappointing game. Spurs played the better football but could play till midnight without scoring. Kane a total waste of space. Liverpool playing the worst I have seen this season but much more clinical in front of goal.
    >
    > Good summary of a very poor game.

Kane and Firmino were not match fit..

Spurs had their only chances when Lucas Moura came on, should have started.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    >
    >
    >
    > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    >
    >
    > Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.
    >
    > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    >
    > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.

A three-way question: Deal, No-deal, Remain - with two votes a week apart, the last placed option in week one dropping out for week two, is surely the way to go.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    justin124 said:

By late July Brexit Party could well be below 20% again.

Could be. But with Brexit not being delivered by then, and probably not at all, perhaps not.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > Really disappointing game. Spurs played the better football but could play till midnight without scoring. Kane a total waste of space. Liverpool playing the worst I have seen this season but much more clinical in front of goal.
    > >
    > > Good summary of a very poor game.
    >
    > Kane and Firmino were not match fit..
    >
    > Spurs had their only chances when Lucas Moura came on, should have started.
    >
    >

Kane strikes me as a player with an oversized ego who thinks it is all about him. I think England are better without him as well. He should not have been on the pitch.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

...and in Denmark, for Sunday's general election, the Danes swing sharply leftwards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Danish_general_election

Thank you, @NickPalmer
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    RobD said:

> @Sandpit said:

> > @Quincel said:

>

>

>

>

>

> Leave or remain has already been answered.

>

> To ask the same question again is like asking Liverpool to play Spurs again before the trophy gets handed out.

But.. but.. the russians!!

Soviets. Soviets everywhere.

You don't know what its like in our universe. The Federations gone, the Soviets are everywhere.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    >
    > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.

Not correct. Bercow ruled against voting again on the WA in the same Parliament. We now have a different Parliament to 2016, therefore the ruling does not apply.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    > Given on this poll most of the Cabinet, Ed Miliband, Yvette Cooper and Dennis Skinner would lose their seats to the Brexit Party it is fair to say neither of the 2 main parties will be rushing to a general election anytime soon

Chris Grayling, Theresa May, Jeremy Hunt and Sajid Javid would survive the apocalypse though, as would Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    ,> @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1134897907319132160
    >
    > Brexit Party/Con coalition viable! :smile:

Well I did warn everyone banging on about a second ref
  • Options

You don't know what its like in our universe. The Federations gone, the Soviets are everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-D-CowBL-s

• Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Given on this poll most of the Cabinet, Ed Miliband, Yvette Cooper and Dennis Skinner would lose their seats to the Brexit Party it is fair to say neither of the 2 main parties will be rushing to a general election anytime soon
    >
    > Not intentionally. But unless your mythic Lab MPs emerge the logic of no deal forces a potential GE due to the possibility of a VONC.

And a GE could then see Farage on a No Deal platform sweep to victory unless we have Brexited by then and the Deal has passed or unless a new Tory leader promises to leave Deal or No Deal
  • Options
    > @Quincel said:
    > Looking over old bets I put money on Labour to win Chuka's seat when TIG was first founded. Felt so smart a few weeks ago, now I might lose because the LDs take it!

I can't believe Labour lost my London bet. Fucking useless.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    > @justin124 said:
    > By late July Brexit Party could well be below 20% again.

Alongside labour
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > > @Quincel said:
    > >
    > > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    > >
    > >
    > > Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.
    > >
    > > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    > >
    > > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.
    >
    > A three-way question: Deal, No-deal, Remain - with two votes a week apart, the last placed option in week one dropping out for week two, is surely the way to go.

Why does remain get a second shot?
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > > @Quincel said:
    > >
    > > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    > >
    > > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.
    >
    > Not correct. Bercow ruled against voting again on the WA in the same Parliament. We now have a different Parliament to 2016, therefore the ruling does not apply.

The same electorate, though. Unless they want to gerrymander it by extending it to children and EU citizens.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    @NickPalmer said:

> ...and in Denmark, for Sunday's general election,
    > the Danes swing sharply leftwards:

Danish Left has of course gone full on Blue Labour - "here's what you could have won".
  • Options
    viewcode said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-D-CowBL-s

One of the most frightening moments in television history. I still remember the shivers it gave me. I had expected to see the ship firing was a 'Mirror' universe of bad characters, but instead it was just Riker and Worf on a wrecked bridge. That is one scary universe.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    For a moment there I thought PB NightHawks was going to return.
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1134928626015772672

Corbyn won't be in #10, it'll be Nige at this rate
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...

Er... not according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...
    >
    > Er... not according to this:
    >
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019

Think Pulpstar was talking about since the election?
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:

And No Brexit at all puts Farage in Number 10 on tonight's Opinium poll
  • Options

Consider if TBP do get an MP into parliament in this by-election:

Fiona Onasanya provided the name of man she said was driving the car. A Russian. When the police followed this up, the Russians would have confirmed the details. As a result, she was prosecuted, jailed, and kicked out as an MP.

So if/when TBP win, finally the conspiracists will be right, it will be because of the Russians...

• Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > > > @Quincel said:
    > > >
    > > > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.
    > > >
    > > > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    > > >
    > > > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.
    > >
    > > Not correct. Bercow ruled against voting again on the WA in the same Parliament. We now have a different Parliament to 2016, therefore the ruling does not apply.
    >
    > The same electorate, though. Unless they want to gerrymander it by extending it to children and EU citizens.

It's definitely a different electorate: 15-18 year olds in June 2016 can all now vote... and of course quite a few of the 2016 electorate have sadly but inevitably died.
  • Options
    spurs have set a new record for the proportion of a club's total time in european cup/champions league finals spent trailing their opponents.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

> @Scott_P said:

>

Corbyn won't be in #10, it'll be Nige at this rate
    JCICWNBPM

Corbyn will NEVER get to No. 10. The man is incompetent, and not fit to be leader of the opposition (hell, I doubt he's anything more than annoying MP material) let alone Prime Minister.

In the event of a hung parliament, with Labour on 200 seats with 19% of the vote, I would hope that neither the LD/BXP or CON will work with him to put him in No. 10. I'd rather see Farage there first than that fool.
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...
    >
    > Er... not according to this:
    >
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019

Since the euros
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @Benpointer said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...
    > >
    > > Er... not according to this:
    > >
    > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
    >
    > Since the euros

You can add the Deltapoll one to your tally.
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > > > > @Quincel said:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.
    > > > >
    > > > > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    > > > >
    > > > > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.
    > > >
    > > > Not correct. Bercow ruled against voting again on the WA in the same Parliament. We now have a different Parliament to 2016, therefore the ruling does not apply.
    > >
    > > The same electorate, though. Unless they want to gerrymander it by extending it to children and EU citizens.
    >
    > It's definitely a different electorate: 15-18 year olds in June 2016 can all now vote... and of course quite a few of the 2016 electorate have sadly but inevitably died.

At the edges perhaps, but the bulk is basically the same.
  • Options
    Map showing Tory leadership backers:

https://app.flourish.studio/visualisation/393554/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1134930038728667136

The trend is with Boris and looks like leave is gaining
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @Benpointer said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...
    > >
    > > Er... not according to this:
    > >
    > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
    >
    > Think Pulpstar was talking about since the election?

Well, that's just two polls and one of them BP got 22%, so not mid-20s.
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @Benpointer said:
    > > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > > Brexit party only party polling mid 20s consistently...
    > > >
    > > > Er... not according to this:
    > > >
    > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
    > >
    > > Think Pulpstar was talking about since the election?
    >
    > Well, that's just two polls and one of them BP got 22%, so not mid-20s.

Three now and mid twenties is within the margin of error for each.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 778
    Predicting election results off these polls is somewhat meaningless as swings of this size will not be uniform. To add to that, the polls themselves are likely to be more variable given the difficulty of measuring insurgent parties. All in all, these results just reinforce the fact that the next election is entirely unpredictable.

But more polls like this will still drive the behaviour of the main two parties. The Conservatives think that moving towards a more hard-line leader will solve their woes, yet this risks losing more moderates to the resurgent Lib Dems. Labour may come to realise that their only escape route is to remove Corbyn, however difficult that may be.

In the short-term, what will it take to convince Change UK that their wish for a moderate, anti-Brexit party that the electorate takes seriously has finally come true and that it probably makes sense to join it?
  • Options
    Remember, Peterborough is precisely the sort of medium sized town Labour need to be winning to win the next GE
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    > @Scott_P said:

Boris on more than Hunt, Gove and Javid combined with both Tory and All voters on that poll. Gove second favourite with All voters, Hunt second favourite with Tory voters
  • Options
    Welcome @Ratters!
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @Benpointer said:
    > > > @RobD said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > @MarkHopkins said:
    > > > > > > @Quincel said:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.
    > > > >
    > > > > Not correct. Bercow ruled against voting again on the WA in the same Parliament. We now have a different Parliament to 2016, therefore the ruling does not apply.
    > > >
    > > > The same electorate, though. Unless they want to gerrymander it by extending it to children and EU citizens.
    > >
    > > It's definitely a different electorate: 15-18 year olds in June 2016 can all now vote... and of course quite a few of the 2016 electorate have sadly but inevitably died.
    >
    > At the edges perhaps, but the bulk is basically the same.

Swapping 3 years of under 25s in for 3 years of (mainly) over 60s is going to may a noticeable difference.

I still think the Deal would win but at least that would settle it - parliament could approve the WA subject to that referendum, then once Deal won the ref it's a done Deal.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Remember, Peterborough is precisely the sort of medium sized town Labour need to be winning to win the next GE

Pah! It's a one-off.

TBP will probably win Peterborough - they have the momentum - but we should not assume that will determine the outcome of a future GE which could be anywhere from 3 months to 3 years away.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1134930038728667136
    >
    > Boris on more than Hunt, Gove and Javid combined with both Tory and All voters on that poll. Gove second favourite with All voters, Hunt second favourite with Tory voters

The Boris and Hunt questions are pretty leading, even if the results do reflect a genuine tendency.
  • Options
    Apparently Denmark's main centre left party has gone hard-line on immigration.

Is it a surprise therefore it is one of the few traditional left of centre parties doing well?
  • Options
    Is anyone shedding any tears at the collapse in support for the two main parties? Can't say I am particularly.
  • Options
    > @Ratters said:
    > Predicting election results off these polls is somewhat meaningless as swings of this size will not be uniform. To add to that, the polls themselves are likely to be more variable given the difficulty of measuring insurgent parties. All in all, these results just reinforce the fact that the next election is entirely unpredictable.
    >
    > But more polls like this will still drive the behaviour of the main two parties. The Conservatives think that moving towards a more hard-line leader will solve their woes, yet this risks losing more moderates to the resurgent Lib Dems. Labour may come to realise that their only escape route is to remove Corbyn, however difficult that may be.
    >
    > In the short-term, what will it take to convince Change UK that their wish for a moderate, anti-Brexit party that the electorate takes seriously has finally come true and that it probably makes sense to join it?

Welcome aboard - good post!

I suspect CUK will quietly be absorbed into the LDs during the next year or so.
  • Options

> @Pulpstar said:

> Remember, Peterborough is precisely the sort of medium sized town Labour need to be winning to win the next GE

Pah! It's a one-off.

TBP will probably win Peterborough - they have the momentum - but we should not assume that will determine the outcome of a future GE which could be anywhere from 3 months to 3 years away.

Tis but a flesh wound.

• Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Is anyone shedding any tears at the collapse in support for the two main parties? Can't say I am particularly.

Nope
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Is now a good time for an reminder that there are only two viable end states for the UK? Second class satellite of the European Union or full member. Everything else is noise.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Is anyone shedding any tears at the collapse in support for the two main parties? Can't say I am particularly.

No.
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > Is now a good time for an reminder that there are only two viable end states for the UK? Second class satellite of the European Union or full member. Everything else is noise.

Thank you for this pearl of wisdom.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1134924916095168514?s=20

And he still wouldn't be elected Tory leader......
  • Options
    edited June 2019
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Is now a good time for an reminder that there are only two viable end states for the UK? Second class satellite of the European Union or full member. Everything else is noise.

Or we can actually leave.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Deltapoll missed the chance to prove themselves in the European elections, and that VI looks questionable.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited June 2019
    > @anothernick said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1134924916095168514?s=20
    >
    > Sounds good to me.

Only (if I am correct in assuming that you celebrate the prospect of our staying in the EU) if the Lib Dems were to be less weak and pathetic than they were in 2010 and thus to force Labour, under such a scenario, to adopt electoral reform.

If the Brexit Party replaces the Tories and FPTP remains in place, then the eventual likelihood of a Brexit Party majority in Parliament would be high. And then we'd be out regardless.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

JohnO said:

> @Quincel said:

> Am I the only person who thinks all this makes a 2019 election super-unlikely, not more likely? What would make Lab/Con vote for an early election right now?

Far from it. We now have to be moving to a second referendum with two separate questions: first, Remain or Leave (as in 2016), followed by (if Leave wins) May’s Deal vs No Deal. There’s simply no other viable way out. And it might just save the Tory party.

Cannot see why the first question (a re-run of the 2016 ref) is acceptable.

Bercow has already made it clear that in parliament a re-introducing of essentially the same bill for approval/rejection is verboten.

And the referendum is an outsourcing of paliament's decision-making. So we also cannot re-ask that question. The only concern is how we leave.

I think the mandate from the referendum is now way out of date.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1134934213772357634

All a bit comrade delta

The faithful are exempt form the rules.

Yet if you vote Lib Dem.....
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > Is now a good time for an reminder that there are only two viable end states for the UK? Second class satellite of the European Union or full member. Everything else is noise.

I can see at least one other.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    > @oldpolitics said:
    > @NickPalmer said:
    >
    > > ...and in Denmark, for Sunday's general election,
    > > the Danes swing sharply leftwards:
    >
    > Danish Left has of course gone full on Blue Labour - "here's what you could have won".

The centre-left surge is not coming from the social democrats but from the social liberals (=LibDems in pro-Labour form) and the socialist people's party (=Tribunite Labour).The main factor is really the collapse of the anti-immigration Eurosceptical Danish people's party.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:

Nor me

They made their choices and have to take the consequences
  • Options
    Floater said:

> @FF43 said:

I can see at least one other.

What is that?
  • Options
    Why...just why...would you poll Tory voters on the leadership candidates and not Tory members? These numbers are only vaguely useful, given how niche the memberships can be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    > @Black_Rook said:
    >
    > If the Brexit Party replaces the Tories and FPTP remains in place, then the eventual likelihood of a Brexit Party majority in Parliament would be high. And then we'd be out regardless.
    ----------

I wouldn't make that assumption. "Brexit" by that point could become an abstraction that doesn't literally mean leaving the EU.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    edited June 2019
    > @Scott_P said:

Another poll suggesting the LibDems are slipping back, but all 4 parties are in with a shot at the moment. I do want to meet the 4% who feel Michael Gove would be fun in a pub - like me, they're the sort of people who go to pubs to discuss select committee reports.

We had a Labour branch meeting the other day after which people lingered to socialise, and fell into arguing the relative virtues of John Stuart Mill and Bentham in utilitarian philosophy. (Brexit? Oh, whatever.)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    > @Scott_P said:

Gove's game is now to burnish his appeal to the Remain majority of Conservative MPs, and hope that he gets into the final ballot with Hunt at the expense of Johnson/Raab. There is a fair chance of that. Once Gove gets that far he'll about turn and become a born again Brexiteer and try and re-establish his credentials to appeal to the Tory membership. Faced with a choice between two Cabinet ministers who facilitated May right to the very end, the members will still choose him over Hunt.

The flaw in that plan is that following today's pronouncement he'll now be seen as a continuity May PM and that would really open the door to Farage to decimate the Tories at a GE.
  • Options
    > @Sandpit said:
    >
    > Or we can actually leave.

oh - hello Elephant in the room :-)
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1134934998400864257

It is just sickening isn't it.

Politicians looking after their own mates.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think the mandate from the referendum is now way out of date.

+1 The fundamental point is the best deal is EU membership, to rule that out in any future referendum is counter to the public interest. If people vote to Leave in a second referendum then, I would accept that but given its impact on the lives of British people for generations to come a three way referendum of No Deal, Deal or No Brexit (Remain) should be instigated to bring this matter to a conclusion.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    AndyJS said:

Is anyone shedding any tears at the collapse in support for the two main parties? Can't say I am particularly.

Brexit dividend.
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @Quincel said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

When do you think the government should have invoked article 50?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

It's obvious, but still needs saying.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    > @Quincel said:
    > Why...just why...would you poll Tory voters on the leadership candidates and not Tory members? These numbers are only vaguely useful, given how niche the memberships can be.

To capture the views of Tory members you would need to poll current Brexit Party voters.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is anyone shedding any tears at the collapse in support for the two main parties?

Honestly? Everything is a fucking shitstorm and I hate every minute of it. I can see good in Labour, Conservative, Liberal, SNP, even Brexit (at a push). The only ones I object to absolutely are the Greens (sorry), the BNP and some of the Northern Ireland parties. But every party is indulging - damn, flaunting - their dark side, and virtue, rationality and reason has been thrown out of the window like it's so terribly retro. It's a festival of shit, a Saturnalia, a horror film, it's rubbish and I hate it.

So no. Not really... :(
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    > @The_Taxman said:
    > > @Recidivist said:
    > > > @Quincel said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I think the mandate from the referendum is now way out of date.
    >
    > +1 The fundamental point is the best deal is EU membership, to rule that out in any future referendum is counter to the public interest. If people vote to Leave in a second referendum then, I would accept that but given its impact on the lives of British people for generations to come a three way referendum of No Deal, Deal or No Brexit (Remain) should be instigated to bring this matter to a conclusion.
    >

The best deal is certainly not EUI membership. And it is your insistence on this point and on trying to reverse the referendum result that is making a NO Deal all the more likely. Your fanaticism is just as damaging to the country as that of the ERG. More so in fact because what you are destroying is the basic belief in democracy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

> @Pulpstar said:

Pah! It's a one-off.

Who wrote this? :)

Recent EU elections have actually been a poor guide to the winning party’s fortunes at the subsequent general election. In their regally purple heyday, UKIP under their ex-leader Nigel Farage won the largest share of the vote and the most seats at the most recent EU election in 2014, but their vote halved at the GE the following year, winning only one MP. By contrast, the Tories under David Cameron won the previous 2009 EU election, whilst they were in opposition, and then went on to become largest party at the 2010 GE, and the larger party in the ensuing Con-LibDem coalition. And in 2014, the Tories came a poor third, behind UKIP and Labour, but then went on to win an outright majority at GE 2015.
  • Options
    Even at 20/1 or so Rory Stewart is way too short on BF...

As is Andrea Leadsom. What is she doing at under 10s?!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Or we can actually leave.
    Of course. Nevertheless....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

> @Scott_P said:

>

Gove's game is now to burnish his appeal to the Remain majority of Conservative MPs, and hope that he gets into the final ballot with Hunt at the expense of Johnson/Raab. There is a fair chance of that. Once Gove gets that far he'll about turn and become a born again Brexiteer and try and re-establish his credentials to appeal to the Tory membership. Faced with a choice between two Cabinet ministers who facilitated May right to the very end, the members will still choose him over Hunt.

The flaw in that plan is that following today's pronouncement he'll now be seen as a continuity May PM and that would really open the door to Farage to decimate the Tories at a GE.
    He should aim to be in the last two but not appeal to the members. The headbanger who comes first (Raab?) will be VONC'd and the second in line will be the natural next pick.
  • Options

> @Recidivist said:

> > @Quincel said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

When do you think the government should have invoked article 50?

When they were ready to actually leave. 7-8 years after the referendum maybe. If it was a serious project it would have been necessary to give it a chance of success.
  • Options
    How the public views the Tory candidates:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1134935913333710848
This discussion has been closed.