Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If TMay survives a confidence vote she’d be immune from anothe

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited November 2018
    32% support an option that isn't deliverable. If they are presented with a forced choice between Remain and the deal, you'd end up with Remain winning by around 65/35.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

Florida count complete before the deadline - and now a recount rather likely:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/416901-broward-county-completes-machine-recount-ahead-of-deadline

I thought the USA had all these machines so that vote counting was efficient, reliable and fast?

Just asking ....
    I think it was a manual count because there were questions on whether the machines had scanned properly.
    Huh, I am wrong. It was a machine count. I dunno then!
    The British system may look primitive but it does seem to work. Even when elections run close, as Winchester 97 and East Fife last time.
    As I've said before, there are usually lots of contests run simultaneously in US elections. Hand counting of the British style just wouldn't be practical.
  • Options
    I am not an admirer of Mrs May, who is a nasty authoritarian in my opinion, but you have to admire her mental fortitude. Comes with being a woman working her way up the male dominated greasy pole that is the Tory Party.
  • Options

Lennon said:

Sky reporting Gove has a genuine family problem today

Shades of John Major's Dentist Appointment? Apologies to Gove if it is genuine and serious obviously, but it is somewhat convenient.
    Sky seem to be convinced that it is genuine. They stated they know what it is about, but won't be revealing what it about it as it is a private person matter.

I think if they thought it was horseshit, I think they would be mocking his "dog eat my homework" excuse.
    That's sad. Sounds like it could be something serious, let's hope it's not something very serious.
  • Options
    I love days like this. Chaos is so entertaining. Brexit, don't brexit, it doesn't matter now, the country is fecked. At least if Jezza gets in charge, I'll be getting an immediate 10% payrise and all my colleagues who have had their pensions filtched will be happy as bad Al Cambell and Tony Blair at an EU sex party. It's fecking fantastic.
    Roll the dice!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited November 2018

The only solution is the EEA to keep trade flowing. 52:48 is not a mandate for either no deal nor no Brexit.

*Sigh!*

For the 10,000th time - as EU members we cannot join the EEA. The EU and EEA treaties forbid it. Once out we cannot directly join the EEA, we have to apply to join EFTA and if that is approved then we can apply for EEA.

The trade will not keep flowing in the interim of Leave Eu -> Apply EFTA -> Wait -> Join EFTA -> Apply EEA -> join EEA. In any case we would be back were we are now and less influence.

So what is the point of leaving?
    Wrong. Countries can and have moved from EFTA to EU. We would simply be doing the reverse.
    EEA puts us back where we are now minus voting rights.

EU members automatically join EEA, but when we leave we automatically leave EEA.

We left EFTA in 1973 so we have to apply to join.

When we Brexit we will not be members of the EU, EEA or EFTA.

• Options
    That full list of options for the 5pm presser:

1. I resign
    2. I definitely will not resign and thought you needed to hear me say so in the National Interest
    3. There will be a back me or sack me vote on the proposal in the Commons tomorrow
    4. Here's what I think of you bastards (whilst curling one out to be thrown at Kay Burley)
    5. I hereby sack the entire cabinet (worked for President Hale in House of Cards)
  • Options

32% support an option that isn't deliverable. If they are presented with a forced choice between Remain and the deal, you'd end up with Remain winning by around 65/35.

Twisting a poll is a disingenious. It is 54 -32 - 14.

You cannot ignore the 46 who do not want remain
  • Options

That 32% looks a very low starting point. It is bound to get smaller as it gets closer and the reality of what it means starts to sink in.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Can I say, allowing for the fact that Brexit has no advantages whatever,, that the deal is a lot better than it might be. It manages to avoid both Vassalage and chaos - the trade off posited by Jo Johnson.
  • Options

I love days like this. Chaos is so entertaining. Brexit, don't brexit, it doesn't matter now, the country is fecked. At least if Jezza gets in charge, I'll be getting an immediate 10% payrise and all my colleagues who have had their pensions filtched will be happy as bad Al Cambell and Tony Blair at an EU sex party. It's fecking fantastic.
    Roll the dice!

I think I will be suffering nightmares for months to come now....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    edited November 2018
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

You and all the Labour Party care more about the political game than the actual impact on people's lives. You can barely contain your glee over the UK facing an economic crash so you can get into power.

Meanwhile Labour watch from the sidelines in astonishment. They need to get ready to take over and clear up the mess. It will be hard and unrewarding to unpick this shambles.
    They're not watching from the sidelines. They have actively opposed the agreement which is why May was having to rely on the ERG in the first place.
    d.

What utter irresponsible drivel. The six tests Labour had were designed to be failed. Because they care more about power than the wellbeing of the country. They have a moral obligation to vote in a way that most benefits their constituents. They have abandoned that because an economic collapse is beneficial for their chances of forming a government. It is reprehensible.
    Take a breather Theo. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And for people like us - who have zero say - it is important not to take events too personally and politicians too seriously.

You may believe that voting one way is in the best interests of the country, others simply don't agree with you. There is indeed a lot at stake, but that's ok. Calling people names like "the worst type of human being" and using language like "reprehensible" really doesn't help.

You would be better served in trying to understand that if Labour are to take part in a Brexit plan, what do they need to feel comfortable doing it. So far this deal offers nothing to a Labour voter, most of whom are Remainers.
    You better tell that to Jeremy Corbyn then who has done everything he can to get Brexit, and then everything he can to sabotage a deal. And Labour MPs have almost to a man fallen in behind him.

Why the hell should we not take it seriously? Hundreds of thousands of people will lose their jobs over this. Similar numbers will lose their houses. Even more will face career stagnation in the critical early career period. But it's all a game to you lot. Apparently supporting actions that will lead to this is fine and shouldn't be taken seriously but pointing it out is going beyond the pale.

Most of the votes for going over the cliff will come from the Labour Party.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Sarah Vine would be a problem for anybody.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I remain surprised that anyone thinks a second referendum would solve anything - whatever the result. Only in "Wind in the Willows." or similar fairy stories, do the Patrician Mole and Rat defeat the weasels and stoats of Brexit. They still lurk in the Wildwoods.
  • Options

The only solution is the EEA to keep trade flowing. 52:48 is not a mandate for either no deal nor no Brexit.

*Sigh!*

For the 10,000th time - as EU members we cannot join the EEA. The EU and EEA treaties forbid it. Once out we cannot directly join the EEA, we have to apply to join EFTA and if that is approved then we can apply for EEA.

The trade will not keep flowing in the interim of Leave Eu -> Apply EFTA -> Wait -> Join EFTA -> Apply EEA -> join EEA. In any case we would be back were we are now and less influence.

Wrong. Countries can and have moved from EFTA to EU. We would simply be doing the reverse.
    Sure, we can do the reverse, if we get the unanimous formal consent of 31 other countries. Won't be quick, though.
    Yet more evidence, if it was needed, that the EU is bloody prison increasingly like the old Soviet Block, designed wholly to keep you in
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Really? Looks like we have a preferred option.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Leaver breaks down in tears at the damage he has done to his country.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/leave-voter-cries-apologises-for-brexit/
  • Options

That full list of options for the 5pm presser:

1. I resign
    2. I definitely will not resign and thought you needed to hear me say so in the National Interest
    3. There will be a back me or sack me vote on the proposal in the Commons tomorrow
    4. Here's what I think of you bastards (whilst curling one out to be thrown at Kay Burley)
    5. I hereby sack the entire cabinet (worked for President Hale in House of Cards)

"I fight on, I fight to win."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Three possibilities:

1. Towel thrown, game over;
    2. Some Hail Mary proposal;
    3. "Nothing has changed".

For her sake, let it be (1) or (2). Go down with dignity or go down fighting but don't be taken down in denial.
    On 2, what could she do?

A second referendum? The vast majority of her party still oppose that. Norway/EEA intermediate step? Still subject to a deal with the EU. No deal? No majority for that either. An election? Not in her gift and I think her party would have enormous reservations about letting her lead in it.

I am forced to conclude it will be, well I have done my best, I still think this is the best deal we are going to get but it will clearly not pass and I must pass the baton on.

If its 3 then we are genuinely in white coat territory.
    4. Sir Graham Brady's given her the opportunity to announce the VONC herself - with some sort of Thatcher in Paris/Major in the rose garden moment attached.

5. Timetable (I suspect expedited) for a meaningful vote, and indication of what happens next if she loses? So sort of "Nothing has changed+++".

6. Announcement of new ministerial appointments accompanied by "nothing else has changed".

(I have no strong view on which of the 6 it might be.. though towel being chucked would feel remarkably quick to me, given her previous stickiness in post)
  • Options

*Sigh!*

Sure, we can do the reverse, if we get the unanimous formal consent of 31 other countries. Won't be quick, though.
    Yet more evidence, if it was needed, that the EU is bloody prison increasingly like the old Soviet Block, designed wholly to keep you in
    It's the integration of economies that keeps us in. You can leave, but it takes patience and care, neither of which have been in much evidence.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    CD13 said:

I remain surprised that anyone thinks a second referendum would solve anything - whatever the result. Only in "Wind in the Willows." or similar fairy stories, do the Patrician Mole and Rat defeat the weasels and stoats of Brexit. They still lurk in the Wildwoods.

I would feel that I was being bullied into voting a particular way, rather than it being a genuine consultative exercise.
  • Options

It all might come to nothing, but I hugely enjoyed myself today watching the Brexit Delusion crumble. All we need now for the Tory Party to complete the first phase of its Phoenix-like rebirth is JRM or Ms Patel for leader and marching us into the WTO wilderness.

Actually, I am not sure a phoenix would recover from that conflagration....
    May delivered a deal that showed Brexit was possible while maintaining economic access and controlling immigration. It was acceptable to 80% of people on here. The ERG, Labour and the SNP have united to screw the rest of us over.

Scum, scum, scum.
  • Options

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    9m9 minutes ago

New @skydata poll:
    Of the three Brexit outcomes Theresa May says are available, would you prefer a) her deal, b) no deal or c) no Brexit?
    No Brexit 54%
    No deal 32%
    Her deal 14%
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

Jonathan said:

Theo said:

You and all the Labour Party care more about the political game than the actual impact on people's lives. You can barely contain your glee over the UK facing an economic crash so you can get into power.

Meanwhile Labour watch from the sidelines in astonishment. They need to get ready to take over and clear up the mess. It will be hard and unrewarding to unpick this shambles.
    They're not watching from the sidelines. They have actively opposed the agreement which is why May was having to rely on the ERG in the first place.
    d.

What utter irresponsible drivel. The six tests Labour had were designed to be failed. Because they care more about power than the wellbeing of the country. They have a moral obligation to vote in a way that most benefits their constituents. They have abandoned that because an economic collapse is beneficial for their chances of forming a government. It is reprehensible.
    Take a breather Theo. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And for people like us - who have zero say - it is important not to take events too personally and politicians too seriously.

You may believe that voting one way is in the best interests of the country, others simply don't agree with you. There is indeed a lot at stake, but that's ok. Calling people names like "the worst type of human being" and using language like "reprehensible" really doesn't help.

You would be better served in trying to understand that if Labour are to take part in a Brexit plan, what do they need to feel comfortable doing it. So far this deal offers nothing to a Labour voter, most of whom are Remainers.
    You better tell that to Jeremy Corbyn then who has done everything he can to get Brexit, and then everything he can to sabotage a deal. And Labour MPs have almost to a man fallen in behind him.

Why the hell should we not take it seriously? Hundreds of thousands of people will lose their jobs over this. Similar numbers will lose their houses. Even more will face career stagnation in the critical early career period. But it's all a game to you lot. Apparently supporting actions that will lead to this is fine and shouldn't be taken seriously but pointing it out is going beyond the pale.

Most of the votes for going over the cliff will come from the Labour Party.
    To be clear, I said we shouldn't take politicians too seriously.

You assume that if we don't take this deal, there isn't another option an we have to 'no deal'. That is not the case. The EU has not ruled out further negotiation and remaining in the EU is definitely an option.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

*Sigh!*

It's the integration of economies that keeps us in. You can leave, but it takes patience and care, neither of which have been in much evidence.
    Precisely.

The public should have been told from day one of the result that we are so integrated that the process will take a decade.
  • Options

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/leave-voter-cries-apologises-for-brexit/

Daft twat needs to stop blubbing and realise he hasn't damaged the country, the whole political class has failed him.
  • Options

*Sigh!*

The EEA treaty allows for that, but not the reverse.
    It does not matter. When we leave, we leave the EU and EEA so their treaties no longer apply to us
  • Options

DavidL said:

Three possibilities:

For her sake, let it be (1) or (2). Go down with dignity or go down fighting but don't be taken down in denial.
    On 2, what could she do?

A second referendum? The vast majority of her party still oppose that. Norway/EEA intermediate step? Still subject to a deal with the EU. No deal? No majority for that either. An election? Not in her gift and I think her party would have enormous reservations about letting her lead in it.

I am forced to conclude it will be, well I have done my best, I still think this is the best deal we are going to get but it will clearly not pass and I must pass the baton on.

4. Sir Graham Brady's given her the opportunity to announce the VONC herself - with some sort of Thatcher in Paris/Major in the rose garden moment attached.

5. Timetable (I suspect expedited) for a meaningful vote, and indication of what happens next if she loses? So sort of "Nothing has changed+++".

6. Announcement of new ministerial appointments accompanied by "nothing else has changed".

(I have no strong view on which of the 6 it might be.. though towel being chucked would feel remarkably quick to me, given her previous stickiness in post)
    "Here I stand; I can do no other." is I think the most likely option
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/416901-broward-county-completes-machine-recount-ahead-of-deadline

I thought the USA had all these machines so that vote counting was efficient, reliable and fast?

Just asking ....
    I think it was a manual count because there were questions on whether the machines had scanned properly.
    The British system may look primitive but it does seem to work. Even when elections run close, as Winchester 97 and East Fife last time.
    As I've said before, there are usually lots of contests run simultaneously in US elections. Hand counting of the British style just wouldn't be practical.
    It would if they had two ballot papers: one for the important contest we bet on, and the other for all the downcard stuff like town dog-catcher.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

And who is going to choose that? Eurosceptic Corbyn or whichever Eurosceptic replaces May?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

*Sigh!*

EEA puts us back where we are now minus voting rights.

EU members automatically join EEA, but when we leave we automatically leave EEA.

We left EFTA in 1973 so we have to apply to join.

When we Brexit we will not be members of the EU, EEA or EFTA.
    Indeed. But these are unique circumstances. Saying "this is how EFTA works" doesn't preclude "but a different arrangement could be found by mutual consent".
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It is increasingly getting my preferred option as the ERG have just lost me totally

I am sorry that as a member I ashamed of them but will fight them from within the party

I am sorry for TM who has done her best but if she is to be replaced the party has to elect a unity candidate
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    Scott_P said:
    The people have spoken; let the people speak.
  • Options
    *IF* she goes or is pushed, perhaps the most stable outcome is a sane Brexiteer like Gove or Raab coronation, following a two candidate race in the parliamentary party.

Their mandate is to take the deal back and try to negotiate changes to what is on the table.

One of those could command confidence across the party. An ERGer would split the party.

They presumably would only get the coronation if they agree that sometime before the next election they submit to a full leadership election, once this pesky Brexit issue is done.

But frankly all bets are off just now - what I thought a few hours ago couldn't happen, may no longer be the case.
  • Options

If it is a genuine family issue that is an ill considered comment
  • Options

Daft twat needs to stop blubbing and realise he hasn't damaged the country, the whole political class has failed him.
    It was heart-wrenching to listen to. I felt so sorry for him :(
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

DavidL said:

Three possibilities:

On 2, what could she do?

I think your 4 could be right - Brady gives May the chance to announce that there will be a vote and she will fight to stay.
  • Options

*Sigh!*

Not really. It's just that countries like Norway might like to be consulted if we want to join their club, and we'd need to discuss things like financial terms and voting arrangements. Some Brexiteers seem to think that we can just barge in without bothering to ask anyone else.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Just watched Tusk chortling on Sky.

Is it possible to re-target Trident on a single individual?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

*IF* she goes or is pushed, perhaps the most stable outcome is a sane Brexiteer

Category error
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,931

Perhaps he actually believed the bloody bus !
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

*Sigh!*

Not really. It's just that countries like Norway might like to be consulted if we want to join their club, and we'd need to discuss things like financial terms and voting arrangements. Some Brexiteers seem to think that we can just barge in without bothering to ask anyone else.
    Why exactly hasn't the government been asking these questions already in the last two years?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Three possibilities:

On 2, what could she do?

"Here I stand; I can do no other." is I think the most likely option
    I tend to agree.. but 5 and 6 would at least give some visuals of moving the situation on for the evening news rather than sitting in her bunker rocking back and forth. This morning's statement was dangerously like what ran last night outside No 10.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

Just asking ....
    It would if they had two ballot papers: one for the important contest we bet on, and the other for all the downcard stuff like town dog-catcher.
    You would, I think need more counters, and more places for them to count, and some means of keeping a running tally for all seats but it could be done.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Seriously, could anyone talk me through a route to a second referendum which saw a narrow Remain victory and see us playing happily together afterwards.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Bear in mind this is a "genuine family issue" that has in no way prevented him from negotiating demands with May about what he will accept in order to be Brexit secretary.

It's the sort of awfully gosh darned convenient "genuine family issue" that allows him to play politics from the shadows, exactly how he likes to, at precisely the most opportune moment.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

What you forget is that a lot of the support for the deal on here comes from pragmatic remainers like myself, who still would like to see the absolute best attempt made for a democratic vote to be honoured.

'Not wanting to remain' doesn't quite cover it.

I'd like to see this expressed as 3 separate binary choices. I suspect the following:

Remain Vs No Deal 65:35
    Remain Vs Deal 60:40
    Deal vs No Deal 65:35

• Options

DavidL said:

Three possibilities:

On 2, what could she do?

I think your 4 could be right - Brady gives May the chance to announce that there will be a vote and she will fight to stay.
    Knowing the Tory Party, they'll probably split about 55/45% in favour of keeping May.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Theo said:

Jonathan said:

And who is going to choose that? Eurosceptic Corbyn or whichever Eurosceptic replaces May?
    Corbyn
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Theo said:

It all might come to nothing, but I hugely enjoyed myself today watching the Brexit Delusion crumble. All we need now for the Tory Party to complete the first phase of its Phoenix-like rebirth is JRM or Ms Patel for leader and marching us into the WTO wilderness.

May delivered a deal that showed Brexit was possible while maintaining economic access and controlling immigration. It was acceptable to 80% of people on here. The ERG, Labour and the SNP have united to screw the rest of us over.

Scum, scum, scum.
    As a remainer, I hate to agree with the Brexit loons, but vassalage does sound very close to what the deal promises. I still believe we are better off in the EU compared to any other option available.

Brexit is complete nonsense unless we are willing to take a massive economic dislocation (and that would be complete madness)
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Some of the 14% should break for Remain if it became a binary choice though. This poll looks to me as a *big* swing to remain.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    9m9 minutes ago

New @skydata poll:
    Of the three Brexit outcomes Theresa May says are available, would you prefer a) her deal, b) no deal or c) no Brexit?
    No Brexit 54%
    No deal 32%
    Her deal 14%

That is truly dire polling for the deal.
    Dead.
    PB out of touch?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Some of the 14% should break for Remain if it became a binary choice though. This poll looks to me as a *big* swing to remain.
    squeezing a three option vote never produces the same result as a binary choice.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Why exactly hasn't the government been asking these questions already in the last two years?

Because the People's Vote was won by the Leave campaign on a platform of ending freedom of movement.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Category error
    No. There are sane Brexiteers just like there are sane Remainers. It is inherent in the narrow divison we have that there are plenty of people grouped around the middle.

It's the ultras on both sides you need to watch out for. Their hysteria is drowning out the moderates.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Xenon said:

Because the People's Vote was won by the Leave campaign on a platform of ending freedom of movement.
    Rubbish. There was no ‘unified platform’.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

*Sigh!*

The word “simply” is doing an awful lot of work. Unlike every Davis or Johnson, of course.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Probably around a third or so ?

Perhaps 57-43 to remain maybe. The ERG are doing spectacular damage to the leave cause today.
  • Options
    OK - totally wild speculation fantasy.

Graham Brady has told Mrs May of the 48 letters.

Mrs May has, in the interests of the country, emailed Barnier & Tusk and asked for Brexit to be abandoned.

If you are being fired, what do you have to lose? Tune in at 1700h ....
  • Options

Xenon said:

No, but that was the most powerful, effective and prominent message, along with the lie about the £350m.
  • Options

Could be a "dental appointment".
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

Three possibilities:

I think I would die from laughter if it is number 3, it almost seems in character for May but surely not...
    Prepare to die with laughter May only knows 3
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Ed Conway
    @EdConwaySky
    9m9 minutes ago

New @skydata poll:
    No Brexit 54%
    No deal 32%
    Her deal 14%

That is truly dire polling for the deal.
    Dead.
    PB out of touch?
    The British public does not back Theresa May's Brexit deal

Support - 19%
    Oppose - 42%
    Don't know - 39%

YouGov - not nearly so bad.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    For those of us who would support for May in the confidence vote (and the chances must still be that she will prevail) but accept the inevitability that her Deal will not pass the Commons, what then? Presumably, she goes back to the EU in the hope of better terms but that seems a remote possibility (or is it?); then how can there be any other outcome than No Deal with all that entails, unless she does indeed do the Mummy of All U turns and legislates for a referendum.

I was going to write that there is no way the govt would give up the ghost and face annihilation at a snap election. But then this is my party we're discussing.
  • Options

Theo said:

Scum, scum, scum.
    As a remainer, I hate to agree with the Brexit loons, but vassalage does sound very close to what the deal promises. I still believe we are better off in the EU compared to any other option available.

Brexit is complete nonsense unless we are willing to take a massive economic dislocation (and that would be complete madness)
    Only idiots would describe this as vassalage. We regain control over 80% of our economy, immigration and plenty else.

But no one cares about the actual facts. People just care about pushing silly analogies and talking points so they can be self righteous over the other lot.

My country has become full of self indulgent puerile t***s. Any sense of doing the right thing, dealing with practical realities, making measured necessary compromises has gone. I am ashamed to be British right now.
  • Options
    At which point does Phillip May put his arm round her shoulders and say "come on love, time to stop"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BBC just showed a live shot of the podium at No10 for the presser.

It did not appear to have the PM seal on it...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    The people have spoken; let the people speak.
    Sky news have spoken,I wouldn't trust that media organization with any reporting on brexit.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

Probably around a third or so ?

Perhaps 57-43 to remain maybe. The ERG are doing spectacular damage to the leave cause today.
    That seems to be their intention.
  • Options

Xenon said:

The vote was pretty much all about immigration. Which May's deal actually delivers on - it's had all the talking heads rubbishing it (Noone from the public will bother to read it) so obviously it is polling terribly. But it's actually a decent deal !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I would question if she has the authority to call a GE.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827

Scott_P said:

Category error
    No. There are sane Brexiteers just like there are sane Remainers. It is inherent in the narrow divison we have that there are plenty of people grouped around the middle.

It's the ultras on both sides you need to watch out for. Their hysteria is drowning out the moderates.
    In the Commons all we have at the moment are the ultras, because everyone else is going along with the continuity remainers who would rather no deal if they get a chance at remain, and the fantasy dealers who would rather no deal than concede getting a new deal, even if possible, will be quite hard.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

I think that means:

1) Party issue
    2) Political issue

I.E. not as office of PM.

Is that right?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

At which point does Phillip May put his arm round her shoulders and say "come on love, time to stop"

4.59 pm today.....
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Scott_P said:

Some official spots this and thinks "Oh shit, I forgot the crest" while the markets go nuts...
  • Options
    And so they carry on drowning out the broadcasters with 'peoples vote'

The broadcasters have to do something to stop this
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Category error
    Excellent! :D:D
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    JohnO said:

For those of us who would support for May in the confidence vote (and the chances must still be that she will prevail) but accept the inevitability that her Deal will not pass the Commons, what then? Presumably, she goes back to the EU in the hope of better terms but that seems a remote possibility (or is it?); then how can there be any other outcome than No Deal with all that entails, unless she does indeed do the Mummy of All U turns and legislates for a referendum.

I was going to write that there is no way the govt would give up the ghost and face annihilation at a snap election. But then this is my party we're discussing.

She should be spending the afternoon talking to Starmer and be getting ready for the mother of all U turns. She does not have much time.
  • Options

Xenon said:

And we have a deal that gets what the public want in immigration while maintaining economic access.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Ssssh, Theresa.

Sleep now.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Three possibilities:

On 2, what could she do?

Knowing the Tory Party, they'll probably split about 55/45% in favour of keeping May.
    On the plus side, Brexit *will* unite the Tory party in due course.

Admittedly it could be quite a lot smaller.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

I think that means:

1) Party issue
    2) Political issue

I.E. not as office of PM.

Is that right?
    It could be the press conference will be about the challenge to her leadership within her party.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    edited November 2018

Scott_P said:

I would question if she has the authority to call a GE.
    Nothing stops her from calling for one, but no she cannot just call one.
  • Options

And so they carry on drowning out the broadcasters with 'peoples vote'

The broadcasters have to do something to stop this

Vox Populi?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Some official spots this and thinks "Oh shit, I forgot the crest" while the markets go nuts...
    What does "no crest" mean ?
  • Options
    My only hope is that a new party of the centre-right rises from these current ashes.
  • Options

I do not think you have learnt much about how much your comment will infuriate the ladies
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

I think the important consideration is have the DUP pulled support from TM but not the Tory Govt led by somebody else. This would cause a lot of Tory MP's to have a good think.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He mentioned a list of names excluding his own.
  • Options
    If she is about to retire to run through fields of wheat what happens next? How quickly can the Tory MPs sift through the various cretins who want the job? How quickly can they put the final pair to the membership? What if the membership decide the pair put to them aren't batshit enough and write in Rees-Mogg on the ballot paper?
This discussion has been closed.