Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polls range from ComRes 12% CON lead to Survation’s

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2017
    jonny83 said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Whatever has happened, the election can't be allowed to be derailed by it IMHO.

This event *will* be extremely politicised.

It's far, far too close to the General Election.
    Postponing the election would be a massive victory for the terrorists in my opinion.
    Who's talking about postponing the election??? If the country stops every time something like this happens we may as well become a caliphate now.
    Yeah it'snot going to happen nor should it. People are going to realize this sort of thing is going to have to be part of everyday life i'm afraid :(

You can't let these bastards win.
    And I very much doubt that the increase in tempo is unrelated to the fact that there is a looming election. As soon as the election is done, I'd expect a fall off in the rate. That being the case, it would not just be morally wrong to delay the election, but foolish too.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    alex. said:

Stabbing in the Southwark Tavern according to BBC witness.

But then that could have been a coincidence.

That sounds like a standard night in a rough London pub.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    Chameleon said:

Are there even more sirens heading towards the scene?

My mate is near by and he says it's a load of ambulances heading from Camberwell to London Bridge.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

jonny83 said:

Have the American security sources said anything yet? Sorry.

Will be interesting to see if they do leak anything this time.
    They will if the Deep State think it will damage Trump
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    NO SURRENDER
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Are there even more sirens heading towards the scene?

My mate is near by and he says it's a load of ambulances heading from Camberwell to London Bridge.
    Yeah sky is showing lots of ambulances and a few police cars still heading in.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Chameleon said:

alex. said:

Stabbing in the Southwark Tavern according to BBC witness.

But then that could have been a coincidence.

That sounds like a standard night in a rough London pub.
    I was genuinely saying it could have been a coincidence!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    SeanT said:

Definite stabbing in Borough Market.

I was in Borough Market all day today.

Multiple gunshots for a long time.....

How common are stabbings in Borough Market? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Postponing the election would be a massive victory for the terrorists in my opinion.
    Non-starter of an idea I would have thought. How would it work? Privy Council asks her Maj to change the date?
  • Options
    I still can't gather why riot officers with riot shields are heading in.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chameleon said:

Riot officers heading in... why?

Probably just nearby, I think they're deployed in a police van in case of ugliness at nightclubs.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Chameleon said:

Blueberry said:

suspects 'same appearance as the Manchester person' - cabbie on the scene.

2 legs, 2 arms? Hmm, narrows it down a bit.
    LBC has settled on 'Mediterranean'
    Well the old Italians are notoriously bad drivers...
    In my experience all Italian drivers are bad.

Observing traffic lights seems to be optional, and it's either foot entirely down on the accelerator or foot down on the brake.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    The psycho who carried out the car attack in Times Square in NYC a fortnight ago, killing one person and injuring 20, wasn't a jihadist. Just saying.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Chameleon said:

Yeh that is worrying to see...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Non-starter of an idea I would have thought. How would it work? Privy Council asks her Maj to change the date?
    After the Manchester attack there were quite a few people (not on here) saying the election campaign should have been postponed for a lot longer than it was. I was thinking of that.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Chameleon said:

Probably just nearby, I think they're deployed in a police van in case of ugliness at nightclubs.
    But they were grabbing their riot shields as they got off...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Well it can be done under the Emergency Powers Act.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2017
    Cyan said:

The psycho who carried out the car attack in Times Square in NYC a fortnight ago, killing one person and injuring 20, wasn't a jihadist. Just saying.

Did he get out and start stabbing people? People like the managing Editor of the Spectator says that is what happened.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RobD said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    Would the be the widest reported drunk driver accident in history if that is the case?
    Ted Kennedy says hello.
    Touche :D
    Haven't they decided now that the Times Square incident was a drunk driver?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

This shouldn't even be being discussed. We will elect a new House of Commons on Thursday, and that is that.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    Would the be the widest reported drunk driver accident in history if that is the case?
    Meanwhile, elsewhere in Britain, five people were killed and 70 seriously injured on the roads today, as they are every day. Lots of grieving families and shattered lives.
    I don't think you can compare accidents with a deliberate attack, if that is what it is.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Isn't there provisions in the CCA of 2004 to suspend an election?
  • Options

Cyan said:

Did he get out and start stabbing people? People like the managing Editor of the Spectator says that is what happened.
    I've been drunk before, but I'm yet to start driving and stabbing people...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Cyan said:

Did he get out and start stabbing people?
    Police emptying out a hotel - people leaving in night clothes so the police think this is something beyond a drunk driver
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Almost never, it's really trendy.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Chameleon said:

Blueberry said:

Observing traffic lights seems to be optional, and it's either foot entirely down on the accelerator or foot down on the brake.
    Driving in Portugal was the worst I have experienced.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Not at all. We have our office there. It's very low crime - hipster central, in fact. Usually lots of tourists, lots of office workers, lots of bars and restaurants, a lot of people outside drinking. Saturday night is actually less crowded than it would be on a Thursday or Friday night. But from the sounds of it, plenty were there.

• Options
    Sky have found a witness who doesn't sound credible. "Ex military" man heard gunfire preceding the incident that kicked it all off...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241

You've met my wife then

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Is the lack of helicopter coverage telling?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Was the election campaign underway when Blair delayed it in 2001?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    edited June 2017
    Floater said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    Meanwhile, elsewhere in Britain, five people were killed and 70 seriously injured on the roads today, as they are every day. Lots of grieving families and shattered lives.
    Your point is what exactly?
    If it is terrorist attack, and we don't know yet, they want to provoke just the sort of reaction we are seeing here. Don't over react. If you want to be emotional, there are many worse personal tragedies than this appears to be. Manchester for one.

The reaction on here is totally OTT.
  • Options
    BBC reporting 3 armed suspects being sought.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Personally, I don't really care. The show must go on. It will go on.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Wasn't it only the locals that were delayed?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    Here's an idea. Consider posting. Then step away for 5 minutes and have a good think. If you still think your post is something you won't regret, then post.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    If it is terrorist attack, and we don't know yet, they want to provoke just the sort of reaction we are seeing here. Don't over react. If you want to be emotional, there are many worse personal tragedies than this appears to be. Manchester for one.
    I'm sceptical of anyone who mentions that they are "ex-military", but I'd hold back on judging the scale of this incident for now.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Floater said:

Cyan said:

Did he get out and start stabbing people?
    Police emptying out a hotel - people leaving in night clothes so the police think this is something beyond a drunk driver
    That suggests bomb threat. Things are really not adding up here. Stabbing & Van can make sense, that plus immediate hotel evac and riot officers + shields does not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's night time, and the centre of the incident is under a railway bridge.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    Sometimes not reacting enough out of fear of overreacting too much might be a bad idea. We shall see.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Couldn't find the word 'election' in the CCA 2004.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

Seems a strange time to do it. Saturday during the day, any time during the week, and it would be chocka. Saturday night, though, there'd be comparatively fewer people around.

That's the one saving grace with contemporary terrorism, you modern day Jihadist is often a bit of an idiot, and doesn't have the training and logistical support that terrorist of the 70s had.
    They all seem to be graduates of crap unis....
    True, but not getting shipments of explosives and weapons from friendly state sponsors, or training from foreign militaries does limit their ability a hell of a lot. Imagine a group like the PLO with the ideology of IS, as bad as things are they aren't as bad as they might have been.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Chameleon said:

Blueberry said:

France can be a challenge too.

My two favourite incidents was trying to join a motorway in the South and a heavy storm had brought traffic to a standstill. I was on the slip road and was passed at same time by two cars reversing down the slip road - one on either side of me.

Also at a roundabout in Vire - guy misses his exit - instead of going around he stopped and reversed.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No, but they did delay the locals
  • Options

RobD said:

It's night time, and the centre of the incident is under a railway bridge.
    Ah, I hadn't appreciated that (the location, not night time :p )
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    alex. said:

Sky have found a witness who doesn't sound credible. "Ex military" man heard gunfire preceding the incident that kicked it all off...

I know Paul Nutall has had a shit campaign, but that seems a bit desperate way of getting coverage...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chameleon said:

But they were grabbing their riot shields as they got off...

Hrrm, maybe they're concerned about knife attacks on police? Riot gear would offer a lot more protection.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Blueberry said:

Chameleon said:

Blueberry said:

Malaysia. Not fast, but they just wander out of their lanes without any warning.....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Here's an idea. Consider posting. Then step away for 5 minutes and have a good think. If you still think your post is something you won't regret, then post.

But don't do this if you are trying to nab the prestigious first. :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

NO SURRENDER

when do we start to fight?
  • Options
    My brother-in-law is a City of London cop. He's just texted my wife - looks like a terrorist attack, three suspects.
  • Options
    Borough Market incident confirmed, but no specific details.
  • Options

alex. said:

I know Paul Nutall has had a shit campaign, but that seems a bit desperate way of getting coverage...
    He's already leading his SAS team in....
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    That he is an arsehat.
    I had reached a similar conclusion
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Couldn't find the word 'election' in the CCA 2004.
    It's one of those Acts with lots of ambiguity and sweeping powers

"any provision which the person making the regulations is satisfied is appropriate" to protect human life, health and safety and protect or restore property and supplies of money, food, water, energy or fuel.

Threats to transport and other forms of communication, to banks and other financial institutions, to land, water or air through contamination, to the the running of parliaments in Westminster and Edinburgh and assemblies in Belfast and Cardiff and to other "public functions" are all covered by the legislation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/aug/09/sweeping-powers-civil-contingencies-act
  • Options
    British Transport Police - two separate incidents.

• Options

alex. said:

He's already leading his SAS team in....
    LOL...
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Floater said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

calum said:

The reaction on here is totally OTT.
    If peopke cannot be ott on the internet where can they be? There's a reason we leave the actual doing things to elected officials and security professionals, while we flap.
  • Options
    2nd incident at Borough market - here we go again
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

My brother-in-law is a City of London cop. He's just texted my wife - looks like a terrorist attack, three suspects.

I just hope that guy talking about gunfire was mistaken.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    We need the army on the streets for that foreseeable future.
  • Options
    second SEPARATE incident at Borough Market - Met Police - SKY
  • Options

Cyan said:

No, but so what? I think this was probably a jihadist too, mainly because "London Bridge" sounds iconic in most of the world. But no point in jumping to conclusions.

Will Heaven's info about stabbing was secondhand from a cab driver. Probably true though.
  • Options
    All three suspects wearing body armour, according to my brother-in-law. His wife - also a cop - hasbeen called in.
  • Options

Interesting that he's texted your wife and not you.

Are they having an affair?
  • Options
    I suspect that this may end up being significantly worse than the 5 people hurt/killed being reported initially.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Blueberry said:

Chameleon said:

Blueberry said:

Malaysia. Not fast, but they just wander out of their lanes without any warning.....
    Actually no I have changed my mine...Panama City, Panama....not only terrible mental traffic, the kids sell beer and fireworks car to car in the jams....so hot headed latinos in massive humidity pissed off at being jammed up in traffic and consumed a few beers in the car during their journey with some fireworks on the passenger seat...recipe for orderly calm driving.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Sky saying 2nd incident at Borough Mkt

They say it's not THAT far away from London Bridge but not right close by... its fucking opposite London Bridge Stn?!?!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Brother in law!!! Wouldn't that be incest? ;)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

That's my real fear. Guns are magnitudes more effective than knives.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    GeoffM said:

Presumably she'shis brother?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

More gunfire- BBC

Ongoing?
  • Options

All three suspects wearing body armour, according to my brother-in-law. His wife - also a cop - hasbeen called in.

Oh this sounds bad
  • Options
    isam said:

They say it's not THAT far away from London Bridge but not right close by... its fucking opposite London Bridge Stn?!?!

Despite the jokes, it's not actually ridiculous that there could be a mixture of terrorist incident and "normal saturday night" stuff.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    This sounds like a Mumbai style attack.
  • Options
    Video on Twitter of officers entering a bar and screaming at everyone to get down. Worried about gunfire or perhaps seeking assailants who have tried to disguise themselves within the crowd.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Do you know the meaning of the term "brother-in-law"?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Southwark Tavern, very nice pub, youngish crowd and sadly only one door in and out i can recall. Would have been complete panic.
  • Options
    The background of the beeb news looked ominous a second ago, the police very suddenly started moving in.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

It's her brother, you bell-end.

• Options

There was a similar one in Bombay too.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    glw said:

Whatever you do don't bother reading Twitter it's already full of idiots demonstrating Dave's wisdom.

He was very much ahead of the curve with that observation. It is popular with journalists, so it lost him a few friends in the media.

• Options
    isam said:

Sky are useless at this type of reporting. Clueless. BBC are actually doing a sterling job, on News 24 and radio.
  • Options

Video on Twitter of officers entering a bar and screaming at everyone to get down. Worried about gunfire or perhaps seeking assailants who have tried to disguise themselves within the crowd.

Link?
  • Options
    This is looking very bad, well planned and well armed.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Kinky
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

tlg86 said:

That's my real fear. Guns are magnitudes more effective than knives.
    The most scary thing about the Panorama special on Belgium terrorists was that it was possible to pre-order your weapons to be dropped off, kinda of Amazon Prime for Jahadis. And the authorities had no idea who was the sleeper cell doing this.
  • Options
    alex. said:

isam said:

Despite the jokes, it's not actually ridiculous that there could be a mixture of terrorist incident and "normal saturday night" stuff.
    If this a terrorist incident, then a very bad night to 'merely' be a regular violent criminal going about their business or drunken idiot having an incident, given the different response that will occur.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    GeoffM said:

Comrade.....you are a pretty poor excuse for a human being.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

alex. said:

He was criticised for saying we were under attack from Islamic extremism by the other leaders on Wednesday.
  • Options
    I see Katie Hopkins is living up to Cameron's maxim about twitter
  • Options

GeoffM said:

He's not from Norfolk, is he?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    SeanT said:

This sounds much bigger and more organised than Westminster.

3 armed men. Two different incidents? Gunfire and stabbings....

Complete speculation, but if you were going to split into two groups and commit two simultaneous attacks would you choose two targets so close to each others?

Time will tell what is going on. It sounds very ominous at the moment, but we should also consider that the police are likely to be on particular alert right now anyway. And safety first is a good approach in circumstances like this.
  • Options

isam said:

Sky are useless at this type of reporting. Clueless. BBC are actually doing a sterling job, on News 24 and radio.
    Sky will just put on the air any random person who rings up claiming to be a witness. I remember there was a train crash years ago where they were regularly citing a witness claiming "at least 40 people killed". In the event there were about 3.
  • Options
    BBC showing pictures of the van. So the perps probably ran from there to Borough Mkt.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Ok, I'm logging off now. Too depressing.

Night all.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

SeanT said:

This sounds much bigger and more organised than Westminster.

3 armed men. Two different incidents? Gunfire and stabbings....

Complete speculation, but if you were going to split into two groups and commit two simultaneous attacks would you choose two targets so close to each others?

Time will tell what is going on. It sounds very ominous at the moment, but we should also consider that the police are likely to be on particular alert right now anyway. And safety first is a good approach in circumstances like this.
    No, you'd go for opposite ends of London. Clever timing though, what with the CL final in Cardiff.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

GeoffM said:

That guy is a twat...I hope he gets moderated from here.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    GeoffM said:

There was a similar one in Bombay too.
    Are you drunk?
This discussion has been closed.