Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a dramatic night the PB/Polling Matters team analyse Tru

Comments

• Options
    How cowardly of Hillary Clinton not to publicly concede defeat, preferring instead to leave it to one of her aides to bring the curtain down.
    Exhibiting such an absence of moral fibre rather demonstrates her unsuitability to hold the highest office in the land.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    edited November 2016

I didn't entirely believe RCS's conviction that it was over, I was more inclined to accept Frank Luntz's judgement that Hillary would win but it was when one of Trump's own people said they needed a miracle that I felt I could safely go to bed. I have woken up in a slight state of shock.

Had a gut feeling yesterday when Betfair shot out to a Clinton win that we could be facing deja vu all over again. So it has happened, still shocking.
    Yes. I took the Trump at 5s and 6s but, like an idiot, was waiting for him to hit 8s before putting more on. I think it touched there but I missed it. Still, a good betting night I would have thought for PBers.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited November 2016
    The Washington Post is free for the next few days, I believe.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    The Muffin is heading for third in Utah (although not by much)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I think CLINTON will win Michigan.

NY Times have that as >95% trump.
    42% to come in in Washtenaw.
  • Options
    So, 2016 we have so far:

1. Jezza
    2. Brexit
    3. Trump

You know what this means, don't you.

4. Ed wins Strictly.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

TGOHF said:

Some spectacular meltdowns happening on the 5live phone in.

Middle class mums who haven't been to the US beyond Orlando wailing for their children's future..

Hilarious.

Everyone needs to calm down. I felt sick to the stomach this morning, but hopefully the truth is that the US constitution was written by geniuses who saw this day coming.
    Trump's speech this morning was the only one he could make and he did it well enough. As we always see, what people say in a campaign and what they say after the votes are often very different.

While it might be supposed Trump will be able to do what he likes with GOP majorities in the House and Senate, it's fair to say neither of the houses are without those not well disposed towards the incoming President.

Ryan's comments will be interesting as will Pence's. I get the sense his agenda and Trump's are very different. Will Ryan face a challenge from the pro-Trump elements in the GOP Senate caucus or will the GOP control be less partisan and effective control be in the hands of Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans ?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    AndyJS said:

"I spent almost two years working for Nate Silver’s website FiveThirtyEight, where I hoped to learn the secrets of political forecasting. I walked away totally disillusioned. It sometimes seemed as though their interpretation of the math wasn’t free from subjective bias. There was also a certain arrogance that comes from being part of an elite that “gets the numbers”, and an entrenched hierarchy meant that predictions weren’t properly scrutinized."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/09/polls-wrong-donald-trump-election

Have never rated Silver highly....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I didn't entirely believe RCS's conviction that it was over, I was more inclined to accept Frank Luntz's judgement that Hillary would win but it was when one of Trump's own people said they needed a miracle that I felt I could safely go to bed. I have woken up in a slight state of shock.

Trump got that miracle.

Although he's going to need another if he's not to massively disappoint those who have put their faith in him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

NY Times have that as >95% trump.
    42% to come in in Washtenaw.
    Sorry, its now at 81%, so improved a bit for Clinton recently!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

How cowardly of Hillary Clinton not to publicly concede defeat, preferring instead to leave it to one of her aides to bring the curtain down.
    Exhibiting such an absence of moral fibre rather demonstrates her unsuitability to hold the highest office in the land.

She must be utterly shell-shocked! The general consensus was that all she had to do was turn up and victory would be her's...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

"I spent almost two years working for Nate Silver’s website FiveThirtyEight, where I hoped to learn the secrets of political forecasting. I walked away totally disillusioned. It sometimes seemed as though their interpretation of the math wasn’t free from subjective bias. There was also a certain arrogance that comes from being part of an elite that “gets the numbers”, and an entrenched hierarchy meant that predictions weren’t properly scrutinized."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/09/polls-wrong-donald-trump-election

A big problem is also that Nate Silver by his own admission doesn't actually spend much time on number crunching anymore and furthermore 538 makes it money from sports predictions. The last interview I heard with him, he actually sounded less than happy about how his work is, too much management / business meetings and not enough doing the things he enjoys.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's the problem while Hillary types raise their eyes towards the glass ceilings in fancy atriums, they forget the poor drudges who are cleaning the marble floors for minimum wage.

To be fair Hilary was very good to her maid, letting her take on responsibilities like handling top secret communications.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    This has to be the end of the road for opinion polling.After GE2015 and now the POTUS elections,the pollsters credibility is totally shot.Maybe time to ban them completely during an election campaign as they consistently provide incorrect conclusions for the public to consider and hence the power to mislead.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Quite.... Tells you all you want to know really
  • Options

:+1:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

So, 2016 we have so far:

1. Jezza
    2. Brexit
    3. Trump

4. Ed wins Strictly.

I hope so, as I have a bet on him that would recover all my losses from last night and a tidy profit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

This has to be the end of the road for opinion polling.After GE2015 and now the POTUS elections,the pollsters credibility is totally shot.Maybe time to ban them completely during an election campaign as they consistently provide incorrect conclusions for the public to consider and hence the power to mislead.

The odd thing is that they were very accurate at the 2010 general election and at the 2012 presidential election.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

So, 2016 we have so far:

1. Jezza
    2. Brexit
    3. Trump

4. Ed wins Strictly.

Do not forget the Chicago Cubs winning a World Series for the first time since 1908 and Leicester in the English football.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    The Twitterati are blaming Clinton, for what it's worth.

Oh and May is currently in a hastily called National Security meet.

Wasn't Putin supposed to be bombing Aleppo right now?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    You can get 6/1 on Trump winning the popular vote:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.125828948
  • Options
    glw said:

That's the problem while Hillary types raise their eyes towards the glass ceilings in fancy atriums, they forget the poor drudges who are cleaning the marble floors for minimum wage.

To be fair Hilary was very good to her maid, letting her take on responsibilities like handling top secret communications.
    Erm, isn' it Trump who covers every surface with marble?
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

It's certainly remarkable that she hasn't conceded defeat publicly in a speech in which she also thanks not just her campaigners but also her tens of millions of voters.

For the record, here's where I called it for Trump at 5.40pm yesterday. As I also said then, Bernie Sanders could have won. Respect is due to Clinton voters and activists who admit that.

Got to go and have breakfast now!
  • Options
    Clinton wins New Hampshire, Trump edges Michigan.
  • Options
    dogbasket said:

They've been called?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The only way forward for opinion polling is if they offer at least 3 turnout models to produce different sets of final numbers from their polling. Or better still an interactive turnout filter so the viewer can tune.

American polling is in a worse state than British on this regard because at least in most British polling you can see the unweighted samples and DIY if you want to. American polling is hugely opaque
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The odd thing is that they were very accurate at the 2010 general election and at the 2012 presidential election.
    Wasn't the national polling at 2012 cack, under counting Obama by almost margin of error?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    TOPPING said:

So, 2016 we have so far:

1. Jezza
    2. Brexit
    3. Trump

4. Ed wins Strictly.

Surely there will come a point where he will have to do a Sergeant. He will need to judge the tipping point for his popularity.

OT LBC reporting deaths from the Croydon tram accident
  • Options
    glw said:

More shit with the email server than in her multiple bathrooms. :smiley:
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Pulpstar said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

America turns right - good news for the Tories but great news for Britain - let's hear no more Obamaspeak of our being placed at the back of the queue in terms of negotiating trade deals, etc.
    Three cheers for the Special Relationship, which hasn't been very special over recent years.

Will he be invited here soon I wonder.
    Haven't you heard - the UK will be at the back of the queue.

Has NH finished yet? on NYT the gap is 127 votes - not that it matters any more - except for spread betters.
    Where is left in New Hampshire ?

I have £60 riding on this.
    http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/new-hampshire

Trump ahead by 307 - 20 precincts left
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    AndyJS said:

2010 general election? Not on the Lib Dems they weren't!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I hope my new shovel arrives soon, I have a lot of digging to be doing!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    TOPPING said:

Had a gut feeling yesterday when Betfair shot out to a Clinton win that we could be facing deja vu all over again. So it has happened, still shocking.
    Yes. I took the Trump at 5s and 6s but, like an idiot, was waiting for him to hit 8s before putting more on. I think it touched there but I missed it. Still, a good betting night I would have thought for PBers.
    I hope so and I hope Mr.Navabi managed to get out of his position - he told us on here yesterday that he was going to lose his shirt if Clinton went below 250 EC votes.

I had no money on this election but it does seem to confirm the theory I advanced after the referendum it is a sound policy to bet against the consensus of opinion on PB.
  • Options
    For those who wish a giggle here are votecastr's final predictions

Estimated votes in Florida as of final update:

Clinton: 4,959,569
    Trump: 4,644,007

Estimated votes in Iowa as of final update:

Clinton: 659,498
    Trump: 645,935

Estimated votes in Nevada as of final update:

Clinton: 504,108
    Trump: 496,633

Estimated votes in New Hampshire as of final update:

Clinton: 311,833
    Trump: 289,125

Estimated votes in Ohio as of final update:

Clinton: 2,534,965
    Trump: 2,516,534

Estimated votes in Pennsylvania as of final update:

Clinton: 2,557,627
    Trump: 2,401,513

Estimated votes in Wisconsin as of final update:

Clinton: 1,366,876
    Trump: 1,193,322
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I though that but I am not sure the percentage figure counted they have for the amount in Washtenaw (which is heavily Democrat) is correct: it is saying 58% has been reported but it looks like they have counted c. 160K votes. In 2012, the total number of votes cast in Washtenaw was 181K and that was a turnout of 65%. So, unless there has been 100% turnout (!), that looks odd. Also worth noting Romney won 31% last time, Trump is on 27%, so wondering whether there are some possible Republican areas to come.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

We wont be seeing them again.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

TOPPING said:

I hope so and I hope Mr.Navabi managed to get out of his position - he told us on here yesterday that he was going to lose his shirt if Clinton went below 250 EC votes.

I had no money on this election but it does seem to confirm the theory I advanced after the referendum it is a sound policy to bet against the consensus of opinion on PB.
    Kudos to you saying that whatever the consensus is here, the opposite will likely happen.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

It's certainly remarkable that she hasn't conceded defeat publicly in a speech in which she also thanks not just her campaigners but also her tens of millions of voters.

For the record, here's where I called it for Trump at 5.40pm yesterday. As I also said then, Bernie Sanders could have won. Respect is due to Clinton voters and activists who admit that.

Got to go and have breakfast now!
    Merkel on presser in the next hour according to BBC

If Merkel makes it to the mic before HRC then Clinton really is the empty trouser suit she wanders around in.......
  • Options
    RobD said:

dogbasket said:

They've been called?
    nope, I'm calling them, Clinton has Keene which votes yuge for her. Trump is ahead in Michigan because people here don't seem to realise that there were only 185,000 votes cast in Washtenaw for ALL candidates, so the 58% number on NYT is wrong. Clinton picks up a further 8,000 votes (net) there. There are only 1000 votes to count in Genesee, so Clinton picks up just a few hundred. Trump is ahead by 19,000 votes at the moment so he cannot lost.

Anyone betting on Clinton in Michigan needs to understand the numbers they are reading because they are going to LOSE.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    glw said:

If there is a consensus by the hangers on - who are loathed - then people will have more of a propensity to choose the exact opposite. No-one likes their destiny taken out of their own hands. If you are told something is a dead cert before the event has happened and yet you have a tiny chance of changing that event - would a part of you not want to act to change it?

Bingo! And the idea the the future is determined by the great and the good and all we get to do is approve it. Give people a chance to kick back and they will take it.
    The key thing to think about now is to split the movement down. Is it a general anti-establishment movement worldwide or an anti-liberal establishment. My feeling is that Brexit and Trump are a rejection of liberalism, globalisation, mass immigration, supranational entities and the talking heads.

Brexit and Trump is a paradigm shift. I will begin now to expect the opposite of whatever the consensus of the talking heads think. The same factors are at play across the whole West.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

When they said they hadn't coded into their work the ability to even see comparisons with the last election it did have rather loud alarm bells ringing.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

The dead-tree press never looks deader than the day after the US elections...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

Their last message on the slate blog:

"...We’ll be comparing these numbers to the official returns once they come in, at which point we’ll be able to draw some conclusions about this grand Election Day experiment..."

then, nothing.
  • Options
    Just 0.2% gap in the popular vote now.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/president
  • Options
    glw said:

:lol:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    stodge said:

TGOHF said:

Middle class mums who haven't been to the US beyond Orlando wailing for their children's future..

Hilarious.

Everyone needs to calm down. I felt sick to the stomach this morning, but hopefully the truth is that the US constitution was written by geniuses who saw this day coming.
    Trump's speech this morning was the only one he could make and he did it well enough. As we always see, what people say in a campaign and what they say after the votes are often very different.

While it might be supposed Trump will be able to do what he likes with GOP majorities in the House and Senate, it's fair to say neither of the houses are without those not well disposed towards the incoming President.

Ryan's comments will be interesting as will Pence's. I get the sense his agenda and Trump's are very different. Will Ryan face a challenge from the pro-Trump elements in the GOP Senate caucus or will the GOP control be less partisan and effective control be in the hands of Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans ?

The only consolation for us lefties is that Trump is a total chameleon. America has rolled the dice and has no real idea what they're getting - nor do we. His victory speech was harmless and it's possible that he'll turn out better than we mostly think.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Where is JackW?
  • Options

stodge said:

TGOHF said:

Hilarious.

The only consolation for us lefties is that Trump is a total chameleon. America has rolled the dice and has no real idea what they're getting - nor do we. His victory speech was harmless and it's possible that he'll turn out better than we mostly think.
    A very balanced and mature view.
  • Options
    According to Fox Hillary is now only 300,000 votes behind in the popular vote. I don;'t know what the market price is at the moment but seems like a buy.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just 0.2% gap in the popular vote now.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/president

In @AndyJS I trust when it comes to stats.
  • Options

stodge said:

TGOHF said:

Hilarious.

I am not sure that hope is limited just to the lefties. Plenty of people from much of the political spectrum will be hoping the same thing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

RobD said:

Alistair said:

When they said they hadn't coded into their work the ability to even see comparisons with the last election it did have rather loud alarm bells ringing.
    The CNN graphics, on the other hand, were just superb in their ability to pull up stats vs 2012, stats of which counties had declared what % so far, etc etc. Outstanding resource.
  • Options
    CNN- Obama congratulates Trump on win.
  • Options
    America's wealthy elite got the president they voted for:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    It seems Tescos and Clinton bought their Firewall at the same place...
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Where is JackW?

He posted a gracious comment earlier, which implied he was leaving (unless I got the wrong end of the stick).

I think Brexit and Trump have both bunged up his ARSE, and it needs to go for some maintenance/R&R!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    In other news, we've got a lot of snow NW of Leeds
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Amazingly, the Italian stock market is up this morning, while US futures point to down 5%.

Still so confident that MLP can't win in France ?
    Yes.

(Assuming Juppe is his opponent.)

Don't forget, the polls all have him with a 2:1 lead in the second round, and the FN has not been out performing in real elections.
    That's a brave view considering the election will be a few months after Trump has arrived but still within his honeymoon period...
    Trump, at his worst, was maybe 10% behind Clinton.

Le Pen is 40% behind Juppe.

Oh, and Clinton still won the popular vote.
    Clinton still trails in the popular vote and in the second round are that many working class and socialist voters going to vote for Juppe?
    Yes
    The white working class in industrial areas in France will vote for Le Pen in a run off as they did for Trump and Brexit, Juppe is as establishment as Hillary and Cameron
  • Options
    I jumped on the Popular vote market @1.31 which as much bankroll as I could scrounge (i.e sweet FA) I hope others are profiting
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

TGOHF said:

Hilarious.

Except that you have a president who has little respect for it, backed by both houses of congress who take a pretty one eyed view of it themselves, as Merrick Garland might confirm...
  • Options
    The big problem that Trump has is not only the controversial stiff he has said, but he has promised a hell of a lot of stuff which seems at best unwise and worst impossible. Certainly not playing by the old adage under promise and over deliver.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Hilarious.

The fact that Trump is not leader of the Republican Party in the way that, say, Theresa May is leader of the Conservative Party makes a big difference. Even with GOP majorities in both Houses, the separation of powers (and of patronage) is crucial in keeping his power within reasonable limits, as is a constitution above legislation (one which is extremely hard to amend), as is an independent Supreme Court, as is the amount of power reserved to state level.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Where is JackW?

He posted a gracious comment earlier, which implied he was leaving (unless I got the wrong end of the stick).

I think Brexit and Trump have both bunged up his ARSE, and it needs to go for some maintenance/R&R!
    Oh no! @JackW can' t leave!
  • Options
    "The CNN graphics, on the other hand, were just superb in their ability to pull up stats vs 2012, stats of which counties had declared what % so far, etc etc. Outstanding resource."

These aren't accurate, the % include only complete precincts, but the vote totals include partial. You need the total number of votes cast, which they don't provide. If you rely on these news websites without doing your own research you will lose your shirt.
  • Options
    Theresa May must hope President-elect Trump does not read the Daily Express:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/630387/Donald-Trump-Muslim-ban-UK-petition-Theresa-May
  • Options
    edited November 2016

RobD said:

Alistair said:

The CNN graphics, on the other hand, were just superb in their ability to pull up stats vs 2012, stats of which counties had declared what % so far, etc etc. Outstanding resource.
    CNN coverage was very good. With little sight or sound from the 8-10 idiot talking heads they usually have dominating their political coverage.

At the end I did feel a bit sorry for the guy operating the board as clearly he was being told to keep looking for possible clinton votes which resulted in.mixh RSI inducing tapping.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She must be utterly shell-shocked! The general consensus was that all she had to do was turn up and victory would be her's...
    Cameron must be utterly shell-shocked! The general consensus was that all he had to do was turn up and victory would be his.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

Where is JackW?

Oh no! @JackW can' t leave!
    Basically my exact words to him in the other thread. I hope he comes back!
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

In other news, we've got a lot of snow NW of Leeds

Thought children would never see snow again. :smiley:
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

But that would be totally against her character, and would be done through gritted teeth at best.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    CNN reports Theresa May and Modi have phoned Trump to congratulate him on his victory
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

Freggles said:

Where is JackW?

I read the comment as the retirement of ARSE, not JackW himself - who hopefully has merely gone for a mid morning snooze after the excitement of England reaching 281-4 (plus some election thingy).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    What a night. So glad I have today off. Overall +3.3k, had a wobble after Luntz and the Trump guy conceding but thanks to PB I piled in at 11, laid at 7 and piled in again at 6.5, didn't play the spreads, wish I'd had the cojones to buy Trump on Monday but as a rule I don't spread bet.

Fiji, here I come!

Special shout out to @PlatoSaid for giving us all the warning signs for the past six months and to @Alistair for finding out the crazy LV screen that completely missed increased turnout from low likelihood voters.
  • Options

RobD said:

Alistair said:

CNN coverage was very good. With little sight or sound from the 8-10 idiot talking heads they usually have dominating their political coverage.
    It got very boring very fast when they started appearing. I loved it when it was just the two of them studying the map.
  • Options
    What do you expect for the next generation of Americans?
    Better than life today
    59% Clinton
    38% Trump
    Worse than life today
    31% Clinton
    63% Trump
    About the same
    54% Clinton
    39% Trump

From the exit poll.
  • Options
    Mr. Rog, aye, quite a lot of snow here too. Not like the arctic winters, but a reasonable amount. Hound was a bit of a giddy kipper on her morning walk.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Great to see our ex-colonies still follow our lead in a few things, e.g. voting for hateful right wing populists.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Hilarious.

The fact that Trump is not leader of the Republican Party in the way that, say, Theresa May is leader of the Conservative Party makes a big difference. Even with GOP majorities in both Houses, the separation of powers (and of patronage) is crucial in keeping his power within reasonable limits, as is a constitution above legislation (one which is extremely hard to amend), as is an independent Supreme Court, as is the amount of power reserved to state level.
    In Congress, half the Republicans are already not working with the other half, and pretty much all of them suspect Trump is a RINO.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    edited November 2016
    To change the subject momentarily (not for the better), very curious as to this Tramlink incident this morning.

The Croydon Tramlink opened in 1999 - at that time I lived near Mitcham Junction and saw it being built on the old West Croydon-Wimbledon line and I used it on day one. I know there were incidents (mainly in central Croydon) where a tram hit a pedestrian or a vehicle but overall I had thought it very safe.

It can get up to speed on some of the sections between stations but slows approaching stations or road crossings. There is a sharp bend after the Sandilands stop as the tram swings toward Central Croydon. The bend is in a cutting that used to be part of the railway line that ran between Addiscombe and Selsdon via Sanderstead.

Obviously, I hope the incident is not as serious as some outlets are reporting.
  • Options

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/630387/Donald-Trump-Muslim-ban-UK-petition-Theresa-May

A Home Office spokesman not May and given May's current immigration rhetoric it is not a million miles from Trump's
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

Freggles said:

Where is JackW?

I read the comment as the retirement of ARSE, not JackW himself - who hopefully has merely gone for a mid morning snooze after the excitement of England reaching 281-4 (plus some election thingy).
    Maybe he will simply keep his ARSE under wraps in the near term. :D
  • Options
    Will we ever see 619 again? ;)
  • Options
    Right I have to bid you are farewell, the real world is calling... apparently they want to know if I have any spare shovels.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

According to Fox Hillary is now only 300,000 votes behind in the popular vote. I don;'t know what the market price is at the moment but seems like a buy.

All of San Francisco and most of LA county now in, they were the real popular gains for Hillary
  • Options
    I didn't follow the minutiae of the election too closely; and didn't contribute as a result. Now that we have a result, perhaps someone can let me know what policies, if any, that Trump announced. And can they be categorised into "a) hyperbolic rhetoric, never going to happen" and "b) could happen, even if out there, might be sensible."

My (uninformed) impression is that, as has been noted above, much of Trump's rhetoric was largely just that (listening to a set of aides and friends who confirm his humanity), and that he is somewhat of a blank canvas.

I am less worried about his victory than I am about Brexit, funnily enough. For Brexit we were given a menu of options, all of which promised economic disadvantage, and we chose one of those options. For Trump, there is no reason why he shouldn't enact sensible-ish policies which, as he said this morning, put America first, while acknowledging the relationship with other countries.
  • Options
    Let us spare a thought for those wo are all suffering from the shock of the Trump victory. All suffering from PTSD ....... Post Trumpelection SynDrome.

1. BBC, Sky, ITV, CNN, NBC, CBS etc
    2. SNP.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    dogbasket said:

"The CNN graphics, on the other hand, were just superb in their ability to pull up stats vs 2012, stats of which counties had declared what % so far, etc etc. Outstanding resource."

These aren't accurate, the % include only complete precincts, but the vote totals include partial. You need the total number of votes cast, which they don't provide. If you rely on these news websites without doing your own research you will lose your shirt.

You are confusing the website with the TV coverage. Agree CNN's coverage was superb and miles ahead of what we get on a UK election night. No time wasted talking to clueless vox pops or politicians trying to spin the results, just reasoned analysis from well briefed experts who knew exactly what they were talking about
  • Options
    Will the Trump victory cause Theresa to push for a hard Brexit?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I think Trump will win New Hampshire, and Hillary Michigan.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Will we ever see 619 again? ;)

They might pull an IOS... :p
  • Options

Dromedary said:

But that would be totally against her character, and would be done through gritted teeth at best.
    It's been noted that by waiting till tomorrow she can speak with the popular vote victory in her pocket.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The big problem that Trump has is not only the controversial stiff he has said, but he has promised a hell of a lot of stuff which seems at best unwise and worst impossible. Certainly not playing by the old adage under promise and over deliver.

Nah, he'll be great fantastic President, get those Mexicans to build a fantastic huge wall, and do a great fantastic huge job of making America great again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

All of San Francisco and most of LA county now in, they were the real popular gains for Hillary
    CNN have LA county at 64%, so about another million votes due from there.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    So, am I right in saying that it looks like ECV 305/309 for Donald Trump with caution in calling a few states and perhaps only NH where there is any remaining doubt over the result?

I think what has swung it is that Donald has had a relatively quiet and controversy free few weeks in the lead up to the poll, where as Hillary has not. The whole campaign has been so intense and busy (as has politics in general) that Gropegate is already a somewhat distant memory.

So, does Donald manage a quiet next few weeks before the electors meet? Do the 305/309 figures take him over 270 bound electors, and how many electors could Hillary release to nominate a Republican alternate? Is this really all over in all circumstances? There seems to be no talk of this at the moment, but if Trump hits new controversy does he still have any real hurdle to navigate before he takes up the presidency?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Where is JackW?

Where is 619

Like the last guy with the ground game

Don't see any comments from Meeks or Tyson either. Perhaps they are holding their powder for the legal challenge to overrule the will of the people. Or...perhaps they are Just out for the night as nothing important is happening

On Que.
    Lady on BBC claiming that Quote

"USA is waking up to a situation "half the country had not voted for"

unquote

Oh FFS here we go again...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Where are their promised conclusions? :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A Home Office spokesman not May and given May's current immigration rhetoric it is not a million miles from Trump's

A spokesman May never thought or sought to correct. Her rhetoric has indeed changed.

This discussion has been closed.