Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Team Corbyn shouldn’t assume that he’ll get “three quidder

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

6/21-6/27
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 42% Trump 40%
    Quinnipiac

Trump seems to have steadied the ship significantly.

I wonder if there's an analogy between Hillary's media blitz and the Brexit Project Fear campaign. There's a point where people stop listening.
    If turnout is high, Trump wins. Just like Brexit did. The standard GE voters will show up for Hillary, Trump could get non regular GE voters out.
    Yes that's why the currents polling is wrong, Trump will get people who haven't voted since Reagen like Brexit got people who haven't voted since Thatcher. The polls are closer than they state and Ohio and Pennsylvania are almost in the bag for Trump. You know the ex industrial wwc areas that delivered Brexit.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    TGOHF said:

Bloody Swiss - can't trust them

Jamie McGeever Verified account 
    @ReutersJamie
    Credit Suisse predicts UK recession with GDP -1.0% next year, Bank of England to slash rates to 0.05% and do £75 billion more QE.

Great for the new PM and CoTE - expectations low, a tax cutting budget should get things moving again.
    genius - spend your way out of deficit, worked for Labour
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    There are three doors...behind two are new potential leaders of the labour party & the other jeremy corbyn. No matter which one you seem to pick or if you switch or stick the host always opens a door to reveal jeremy corbyn.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

phew again - it's ok to back crabb.. toxic tim isn't behind him

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie · 3m3 minutes ago
    Tim Montgomerie ن Retweeted Tim Montgomerie ن
    Just to clarify - my earlier Tweet (https://twitter.com/montie/status/748097431200477186 …) was an endorsement of the man, not of his leadership bid. I'm backing Boris.

Phew and relax.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie
    Credit Suisse predicts UK recession with GDP -1.0% next year, Bank of England to slash rates to 0.05% and do £75 billion more QE.

This is why Boris is doomed. He will own this recession. And I think the economic pain will be very apparent by early September. He could end up one of the most hated men in the country.
    And end Tory hopes of winning the next election whenever it is held.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    nunu said:

If the Scot Tories are the only main party leading the fight for the union to stay and No still wins they could see another surge. Enough to challenge the SNP for government?

Charmingly funny intervention .. :smile:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    edited June 2016
    Mr. Rabbit, "I do know."

Edited extra bit: of "Yes" which amounts to the same thing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Ally_B said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

This is why Boris is doomed. He will own this recession. And I think the economic pain will be very apparent by early September. He could end up one of the most hated men in the country.
    Not with the current state of the Labour party...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Surely it'll take just as long with 2 as with, say, 6? All that'll happen is that the members will get slightly longer to choose. The result will still be announced in early September.

Not sure, the original 1922 committee statement seemed to imply it could be quicker if there were fewer candidates and therefore fewer MP rounds.
    Not sure that announcing a leader in August when the political media had their holidays booked forwill go down terribly well. September would be far better.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Interesting from Jon Craig

Some Labour MPs believe Corbyn clinging on to respond to Chilcot next week, apologise on behalf of Lab & call for Blair war crimes trial.

Wonder if Tony is suddenly seeing the merits of full fat, leaded, caffeinated, independence, outside the EU like the good 'ol US of A with no kow towing to foreign courts 'n all?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, you are Eddie Izzard. :p

Nah, Eddie Izzard's fashion sense is sooooo boring.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

This is why Boris is doomed. He will own this recession. And I think the economic pain will be very apparent by early September.

He could end up one of the most hated men in the country.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

This is why Boris is doomed. He will own this recession. And I think the economic pain will be very apparent by early September.

That's my prediction too.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Surely it'll take just as long with 2 as with, say, 6? All that'll happen is that the members will get slightly longer to choose. The result will still be announced in early September.

Not sure, the original 1922 committee statement seemed to imply it could be quicker if there were fewer candidates and therefore fewer MP rounds.
    Not sure that announcing a leader in August when the political media had their holidays booked forwill go down terribly well. September would be far better.
    Erm, fuck the media, we've a country to run...
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

Corbyn is just like the IRA, their mantra is No Surrender

I don't know whether that's a joke, TSE, but if it isn't, then you've got your Northern Ireland sides mixed up :)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's a baby recession. Remember, recessions are personal. The '80s recession was ~5.2%, the 90s ~2.3%. the 00s ~6.2%. If Credit Suisse and the IMF are right, it would be more like the 1961 recession (which I am too young to remember!).
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Just appeared...

'The truth is that Jeremy is not standing down. In the Labour Party our members are sovereign. There was an election held and a decision made, and 172 people cannot outweigh a quarter of a million others.

It would risk sending the worst possible message we could send as a party to the electorate - that Labour does not respect the democratic process.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2016/06/jeremy-corbyn-not-standing-down-172-labour-mps-cannot-drown-out-democracy
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ally_B said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

Not with the current state of the Labour party...
    I had no idea there was only one Labour party. I thought we were on two and counting right now?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Tim Montgomerie isn't a member of the Conservative party. So who he supports is irrelevant.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Jeremy Corbyn now holds the LP record for withstanding call to resign.

Clash are on the B side

gets coat
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    RodCrosby said:

Just appeared...

'The truth is that Jeremy is not standing down. In the Labour Party our members are sovereign. There was an election held and a decision made, and 172 people cannot outweigh a quarter of a million others.

It would risk sending the worst possible message we could send as a party to the electorate - that Labour does not respect the democratic process.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2016/06/jeremy-corbyn-not-standing-down-172-labour-mps-cannot-drown-out-democracy

Been around for a couple of hours actually.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

I don't know whether that's a joke, TSE, but if it isn't, then you've got your Northern Ireland sides mixed up :)
    Yup. A very subtle joke for the Corbynistas on Twitter. Pure clickbait
  • Options
    Surely somebody must be doing a downfall parody video of the jezza no surrender.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

There's also the consideration of party members being away for their hols. OTOH these are not normal times.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Just appeared...

It appeared over an hour ago.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    People should really think through their actions, Margaret Beckett and David Cameron.

"Lets nominate Corbyn"

"Lets have an EU referendum".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    I see the FTSE is back to where it was pre-referendum results. And that had a Remain win priced in.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

Guido Fawkes Retweeted
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul · 1m1 minute ago
    Also hearing that McDonnell has told Corbyn he wdn't automatically be on the ballot paper, so he, McDonnell, should be the left candidate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-mcdonnell-labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-brexit-eu-referendum-hilary-benn-heidi-a7103981.html

Big LOL if that's close to true. Is it going be just JC, Diane and Thornbery left by tomorrow?
  • Options

Tim Montgomerie isn't a member of the Conservative party. So who he supports is irrelevant.

Wrong. There's many Tories who will do the exact of what Montie says.

So he's very relevant.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's my prediction too.
    This is why Brexiteers should back Theresa May. So much of parliament, the EU and the public are out to get Boris at this point, they will throw big spanners in the works in implementing Brexit. May will be looked at more neutrally, meaning most will look to work with her to make the most of things. That will have Brexit become more of a success.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's a baby recession. Remember, recessions are personal. The '80s recession was ~5.2%, the 90s ~2.3%. the 00s ~6.2%. If Credit Suisse and the IMF are right, it would be more like the 1961 recession (which I am too young to remember!).
    It may be baby (hopefully) but it's totally unnecessary. Thanks Dave and Leavers.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

There's also the consideration of party members being away for their hols. OTOH these are not normal times.
    Older people don’t go away in August. Expensive, and too many children about.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

Nope - all the experts are crap - except Mervyn King - he's a Brexpert don't you know. All is good - we dominate trade with the RotW, we get single market with only 3 Freedoms, French wine will be piped in free across the channel [along with a few thousand migrants] ! Welcome to the renamed land of Brexitania.
  • Options
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That Credit Suisse prediction is just horrible.

We have to accept this is a major fucking mistake. A Tory must man up and say Nah, we're not doing it, and take the electoral hit. Or offer a revote, where voters can choose the three options, FULL LEAVE, EEA, STAY

The house is catching on fire and we're squabbling in the kitchen about whose turn it is to put out the bins

Stop wobbling man. It's day 6 only.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited June 2016

have just been asked by colleagues to summarise where we are. My synopsis:

1. None of the big politicians expected a Leave vote. No plans made, no clue about what to do
    2. Tories still dripping blood from the large stab wounds wielded by other Tories. Now about to enter bitter leadership contest with the winner announced in nearly 3 months time - until then noone in charge making decisions
    3. Labour now pouring with blood from the large stab wounds and beheadings* from their MPs and fundamentalist membership (*Pat Glass beheaded herself). Labour leadership may be decided in 3 months until they noone in charge
    4. The Europeans scratching their heads asking what the fuck is it with you people (cf Dutch PM's comments earlier) - the longer that nothing goes on from the noone in charge the worse things will get

Have I missed anything out?

Charlie Falconer's untenable position
    oops sorry just by mistake clicked off topic.

Well of course 99.99% of posts on here are off topic but I didn't mean to flag that one in particular.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Yup. A very subtle joke for the Corbynistas on Twitter. Pure clickbait
    Simply the Best! :)
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Any news on Charlie Faulkner?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

We have to accept this is a major fucking mistake. A Tory must man up and say Nah, we're not doing it, and take the electoral hit. Or offer a revote, where voters can choose the three options, FULL LEAVE, EEA, STAY

The house is catching on fire and we're squabbling in the kitchen about whose turn it is to put out the bins

Do you not remember the IMF saying similar bollocks when the Cons cut taxes and spending after the GE ?

We then boomed.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Corbyn has certainly gone up in my estimation over the past few days.

Has any politician ever been put under so much stress and resisted?

Churchill, 1940
    Sir, you're no Winston Churchill
    Stalin, 1941?
    How many motions of no confidence did Churchill win? I know he won two in 1942.

Stalin didn't cope very well with stress when Germany invaded in 1941. He disappeared for a few days and resigned, and was then prevailed upon to un-resign.

Corbyn is bearing up well - credit where it's due.
    Stalin expected to be executed, not unreasonably. However, the plotters couldn't decide whether to back Lavrenti Eagle or Vyacheslav Watson and ended up fluffing their chance.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    SeanT said:

It may well be simple. May and Johnson will say EEA. The new Labour leader, if there is one, might be Stay. There may be an election, but, either way, most of the access to the single market will be retained.
  • Options

Interesting from Jon Craig

Some Labour MPs believe Corbyn clinging on to respond to Chilcot next week, apologise on behalf of Lab & call for Blair war crimes trial.

Hello I have been shouting that from the rooftops since Sunday FFS
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@ReutersJamie

Ooh good means my mortgage will go down a bit.
    My mortgage will go down to 0.54%. Basically, halve.

/smugmode
  • Options

Dare I say that having a Prime Minster in place to run the country is somewhat more important than the media's holiday timetable!

Not that the media will see it that way, of course.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

SeanT said:

Stop wobbling man. It's day 6 only.
    It's just Sean being Sean. The IMF report differed from Credit Suisse's forecast by 0.2% and it was water off a duck's back.

The media don't get clicks by reporting good news, and we're not going to get good news for a while.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

have just been asked by colleagues to summarise where we are. My synopsis:

1. None of the big politicians expected a Leave vote. No plans made, no clue about what to do
    2. Tories still dripping blood from the large stab wounds wielded by other Tories. Now about to enter bitter leadership contest with the winner announced in nearly 3 months time - until then noone in charge making decisions
    3. Labour now pouring with blood from the large stab wounds and beheadings* from their MPs and fundamentalist membership (*Pat Glass beheaded herself). Labour leadership may be decided in 3 months until they noone in charge
    4. The Europeans scratching their heads asking what the fuck is it with you people (cf Dutch PM's comments earlier) - the longer that nothing goes on from the noone in charge the worse things will get

Have I missed anything out?

Very fair.

If I were being picky, I would say that you can be assured that the wonks everywhere in the civil service, BoE, FCA, and probably just about every other regulatory body in the UK will have wargamed Leave to death.

But, in the mad political world you correctly describe, no Remain politician dared ever admit it.
  • Options
    nunu said:

The polls are closer than they state and Ohio and Pennsylvania are almost in the bag for Trump.

Polls published today - Ohio Clinton +9 .. Pennsylvania Clinton +14

Absolutely "almost in the bag for Trump"

:smiley:

• Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's the first year.

The uncertainty - if we leave - is set to last two to three years, possibly more. And at the end of it we may discover our biggest industry, financial services, is destroyed.

So the pain will grind on, and on. This could be a Depression, not just a recession.
    And you would helped cause it - feeling good about yourself?

#Bridiot
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

Stalin didn't cope very well with stress when Germany invaded in 1941. He disappeared for a few days and resigned, and was then prevailed upon to un-resign.

Stalin expected to be executed, not unreasonably. However, the plotters couldn't decide whether to back Lavrenti Eagle or Vyacheslav Watson and ended up fluffing their chance.
    Just interested were they deselected or bugger off to form progressive stalin
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's the first year.

The uncertainty - if we leave - is set to last two to three years, possibly more. And at the end of it we may discover our biggest industry, financial services, is destroyed.

So the pain will grind on, and on. This could be a Depression, not just a recession.
    I think you need to go and read the IFS report. It'll help your nerves and presumably let you do some work.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    SeanT said:

If in the words of one Labour MP some voters in the north have " voted to make their lives worse because they didn't think their lives could get better " why do you think a rerun would produce a different result ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's the first year.

Have faith Sir, things will work themselves out for the better. We're Great Britain, remember.

http://heatst.com/uk/11-countries-gearing-up-to-strike-trade-deals-with-britain/
  • Options
    Repent @SeanT, join the #Libdemfightback
  • Options
    RobD said:

I see the FTSE is back to where it was pre-referendum results. And that had a Remain win priced in.

But some people made a killing during the drop. How convenient....
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Do you not remember the IMF saying similar bollocks when the Cons cut taxes and spending after the GE ?

We then boomed.
    This really is not comparable. I don't see how pb-ers fail to grasp this.
    i dont get why you are running around like a mad man. these are hardly end of days predictions and all they are is predictions. have some conviction in your beliefs and stop flip flopping!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

I can understand Dave falling on his sword, as the referendum was his baby, thus triggering the Tory Party contest.

But why is there carnage in the Labour Party less than a week after the result?

Labour MPs have wanted to get rid of Corbyn ever since he was elected by Labour membership. They are just using Brexit as an excuse.

Poor judgemnet by the rebels who don't have a candidate that can beat Corbyn in a membership election so trying to by-pass democracy.
    Yeah, it's an excuse. For those who are using the argument that he didn't try hard enoujgh on the EU, it's worth checking out the results in each of the respective critics' areas, as this chap has done:

http://beestonweek.blogspot.co.uk/

Yes, I know it's easier to win in Islington than Ashfield, but equally the effort put in by Islington CLP on the referendum at Jeremy's request was a great deal more than some CLPs managed at the request of their MPs.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.
    There will be a budget in October which will be used to boost the Uk - not by GO either.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Will a certain sort of voter Regrexit or simply want to leave more strongly ? http://www.itv.com/news/border/2016-06-24/jamie-reed-people-have-voted-to-make-their-lives-worse/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring .... Don't Panic
  • Options
    Glaxo rocketing :o
  • Options
    JackW said:

nunu said:

The polls are closer than they state and Ohio and Pennsylvania are almost in the bag for Trump.

What went wrong with your Euro Arse Jack?

Were you wronger than Kellner?

Welcome to the EICIPM club of failed pundits, another new member is TSE you will like him.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.
    Remember them saying similar bollocks when the country stayed out of the Eurozone?

We then boomed.

Remember them saying similar bollocks when the country crashed out of the ERM?

We then boomed.

Sometimes received wisdom is simply bollocks. The pound (which thankfully we kept) has fallen which will be a natural shock absorber and help incentivise exports and discourage imports somewhat. And life will go on as before.
  • Options
    JackW said:

nunu said:

No-one but you seems to be taking these 'polls' seriously...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Was it you with shares?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.
    Relax. People will still buy books. Books and films do well in a recession.

BTW, any news on when the film of The Ice Twins might be happening?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    As I said earlier, BoAMLs is to 0.3%. I suspect that and the CS number set the broad range. The sunny uplands look far away but perhaps one can console oneself by noting that its always darkest just before dawn. Perhaps.
  • Options

If in the words of one Labour MP some voters in the north have " voted to make their lives worse because they didn't think their lives could get better " why do you think a rerun would produce a different result ?

Because of Regrexit and because many voted Leave as a protest, not realising it might happen and there'd be consequences.

Nothing will get better, but there's worse slowly and worse fast.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.
    On a brighter note we've just pocketed some extra dough on a deal because the £ has sunk compared to when we booked the order. It's not all doom and gloom, and it's not all about London (surely last week proved that if anything). London is important but it and its industries (which are very important and we must do all we can to protect I accept) seem to have forgotten they are actually part of the same country as Doncaster, Sunderland, and Swansea.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    There is a Polish tabloid with headlines about Brexit etc with the following word:

Brytyjczycy

Just brilliant - what a language! Cannot help but admire that
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Was it you with shares?
    Bought 1000 at £12.85 last year. Nice divi stream too.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

No-one but you seems to be taking these 'polls' seriously...
    @nunu how can polls be "closer than they state"? Genuine question.
  • Options

Erm, fuck the media, we've a country to run...
    And there's a prime minister and government in place to do just that.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

Just interested were they deselected or bugger off to form progressive stalin
    They made up.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

@ReutersJamie

That's the first year.

And you would helped cause it - feeling good about yourself?

#Bridiot
    Yep, I was possibly a Bridiot. But both sides lied to me - see the EU Army which was "never gonna happen".

By 9pm I might feel differently, tho
    What difference does an EU army make to your standard of living, the value of your savings, the price of your property or your personal security?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

SeanT said:

So, here's what will happen. We will be offered an EEA-style deal that allows us a level of control over migration and full access tot he Single Market, with one exception - passporting for the City will be excluded. What a great deal - only the bakers will be hurt!!

Is there a Tory PM who would sign up to that?

The Leavers have so miscalculated the strength of the UK's hand it is unbelievable.

Good luck Boris :-D

Boris would be committing career suicide if he agreed to that. The Tories would lose the City, whoever loses the City of London loses the nation, in the end. As Charles the First discovered.

Oh yes. But giving up the chance of full access to the single market for everyone except the financial services industry and to have significant controls over immigration just to save some City bankers; how will that play?

Rock or a hard place !
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I can understand Dave falling on his sword, as the referendum was his baby, thus triggering the Tory Party contest.

Labour MPs have wanted to get rid of Corbyn ever since he was elected by Labour membership. They are just using Brexit as an excuse.

Poor judgemnet by the rebels who don't have a candidate that can beat Corbyn in a membership election so trying to by-pass democracy.
    Yeah, it's an excuse. For those who are using the argument that he didn't try hard enoujgh on the EU, it's worth checking out the results in each of the respective critics' areas, as this chap has done:

Yes, I know it's easier to win in Islington than Ashfield, but equally the effort put in by Islington CLP on the referendum at Jeremy's request was a great deal more than some CLPs managed at the request of their MPs.
    As I pointed out last week. Normally Keith Vaz's constituency office is a hive of activity and festooned with posters and billboards. Last Wednesday there were none to be seen and the office lights were off.

I didn't see much effort fom Jon Ashworth either, though Liz Kendall as the 3rd Leicester MP made a decent effort.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ed has spoken - Corbyn must resign!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

I will be happy to accept the £3500 grand that would make me on UKIP most seats. I applaud this idea.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Ed has spoken - Corbyn must reign!

He will reign, don't worry.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

He will reign, don't worry.
    LOL - the worst typo ever!
  • Options
    Fox standing.

Probably dis-information previously...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    LibDems now announcing that since last Friday they have received one new member per minute (on average!) and that today the total passed 10,000
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    RobD said:

It's not really, though, given the FTSE is priced in £.
  • Options
    Brom said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.
    i dont get why you are running around like a mad man. these are hardly end of days predictions and all they are is predictions. have some conviction in your beliefs and stop flip flopping!
    Yes it's probably just 'experts' making these predictions and we all know that they can be ignored with impunity.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Let's just absorb how "bad" that statement is.

At least Ed must be having an inner chuckle to himself. He looks better by the hour.
  • Options

And then he went and voted Leave...

(I could believe he spoilt his ballot paper and voted for both, just so he could look his critics in the eye and say he voted to Remain...little white lie)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016
    RobD said:

FTSE All Share
    23rd June: 3481
    Today: 3413
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

@ReutersJamie

/smugmode
    But your home could drop 20% in value. Or more.
    Is it bollocks....that was one of the most outrageous of all the predictions. It took the world economy collapsing , banks going bust across the world etc etc etc, for house prices in the UK to get even close to falling that amount.

Most of the expert I have heard since the vote have said much more likely this stunts future house price growth, but demand is too high and supply too short especially in London for that kind of fall.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

There is a Polish tabloid with headlines about Brexit etc with the following word:

Brytyjczycy

Just brilliant - what a language! Cannot help but admire that

There is a desperate vowel shortage in Poland. They need to broker a deal with the NZ Maori, who have a language that could easily spare a few!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

@ReutersJamie

/smugmode
    But your home could drop 20% in value. Or more.
    I hate arguing with people like I'm some Pollyanna. Value doesn't matter until you actually trade out. But I do appreciate that some people bank on perpetual house price inflation, and I'm sorry for those who would be affected.

However, the fundamentals haven't changed. We have a growing number of households, where demand exceeds supply. The country could do with a housing market like the 90s, even if individuals feel differently about it :).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. T, best of luck with the film.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    SeanT said:

Is this the 4pm Sean T and the more lubricated 9pm will be more relaxed?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.

They've got a decent script and are seeking a director. A friend of mine wants to take the option off them and make it as a British movie, it depends whether the Americans renew

So no movie as yet, but still plans afoot
    Thanks and good luck. If you go indy UK, the Good Lady Wifi is a dab hand at film financing...
  • Options

I had to put my MP on ignore such was his pro EU bomardment, Remain still got thrashed apparently was having problems getting volunteers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

We then boomed.

They've got a decent script and are seeking a director. A friend of mine wants to take the option off them and make it as a British movie, it depends whether the Americans renew

So no movie as yet, but still plans afoot
    Good luck! The $ cost of making a movie in the UK is at a record low thanks to Brexit ;)
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    SeanT said:

Anyone who based their EU referendum vote on a few quarters GDP figures didn't really understand what the vote was all about. Seems that includes you!

Of COURSE it will be worse for a bit, that's not news.

In the long run we will be better off out of it. That was what guided my cross, my lip's not going all wobbly because of a few economists predicting the fairly obvious

(Although I think the +2.3% was always optimistic frankly...global economy heading for a slowdown anyway)
This discussion has been closed.