Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron is going, Boris is in hiding and Labour faces civil

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I wonder what percentage of people voted Leave because they had been assured that David Cameron would not resign. Like he had said in the House of Commons. Repeatedly.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

PlatoSaid said:

Just a thought, is Faisal Islam a journo working for Sky or a tory/remain member of staff?

If I never saw Faisal again, it'd be too soon. You can take a man out of C4, but you can't take C4 out of the man. He's got an enormously high opinion of himself, wants to turn everything into a drama, and profoundly biased. His whole cleverdick manner has me reaching for the mute button.

I was very disappointed Sky employed him.
    Typical.. don't like the message.. shoot the messenger
    That's the problem. There isn't meant to be a 'message'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Lowlander, one of the nice things about the Roman Republic is that the various jobs (quaestor, consul etc) actually had proper tasks to perform. There was no aedile for youth engagement [so far as I know].
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Moses_ said:

It was the Labour heartlands of the NE that led the way to Brexit. Does that mean that Jezza is now more in touch with Labour grass root opinion ( if not UK opinion) than those resigning from his shadcab team yesterday.

An interesting option for Corbyn is to replace some of the resigning shadow ministers with the three most respected figures of Lexit - Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kelvin Hokpins. If the Europhiles object, tough - they've already jumped ship. And I say that as a Europhile myself. It would simply signal that Labour was responding seriously to the Lexit WWC.
    Good thinking.
    Labour needs more intelligent decent realists like you.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: New shadow cabinet is a Dad's Army of those still standing: Corbyn Praetorian guard plus a few waverers like Burnham.

With every hour Burnham looks more ridiculous. His is one political career we can safely say is now over.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Messi has retired from international football.
  • Options

I am still pro-eu, I think brexit is the wrong choice for our country (but potentially a good one long term for the EU itself, if not certain member states).

However, frankly, Remain lost. You can argue it was unfair, and it is indeed disappointing but not surprising to see Boris and other rowing back from campaign promises, but we should be pragmatic about it now, and try and influence the result to EEA, our next best bet.

Therefore, throwing back Boris' lies in his face is actually counter-productive.

In any case, all remain voters can be understood to have accepted free movement, and if even just 20% of leave voters are like most PB leavers here, they won't care much about FoM either. In other words there is a majority to keep FoM.

Remain Tories in particular should be unifying under this, to reassure big business, and as most immigration-leavers are in Labour northern seats, it won't be the Tories who pay the price for the 'betrayal' of the northern leavers.

Labour are screwed - they have lost Scotland, they are losing the northern seats, and if they make any moves to try and recapture the north they will lose the middle class ones to the Lib Dems or Greens.

The trouble is, as we're now finding out, many were Remainers first, Tories some way down the list.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Lowlander said:

Btw, if Scotland does go independent and stays in the EU, what are their proposed nationality requirements to become a citizen? If I have a grandparent who is 1/2 scottish can I claim citizenship - I think that was the case as laid out in their 2014 white paper.

I think an Independent Scotland might be in need of a wall...
    I have an image of Sturgeon standing in front of a Breaking Point style poster - 57 million englishmen are coming to take your jobs!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Moses_ said:

It was the Labour heartlands of the NE that led the way to Brexit. Does that mean that Jezza is now more in touch with Labour grass root opinion ( if not UK opinion) than those resigning from his shadcab team yesterday.

An interesting option for Corbyn is to replace some of the resigning shadow ministers with the three most respected figures of Lexit - Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kelvin Hokpins. If the Europhiles object, tough - they've already jumped ship. And I say that as a Europhile myself. It would simply signal that Labour was responding seriously to the Lexit WWC.
    Would Stuart et al go for it?
    One of the (many) things which show how screwed Labour is, is that Gisela Stuart - the most impressive on either side, who monstered Eagle in the first debate, who could keep Labour alive in the North - is not being mentioned as a potential leader.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    In 1975, the Labour government asked the same question. They received a 'yes' vote, so THEY proceeded with their plans. Had they received a 'No' vote, then as a responsible government, THEY would have proceeded to take us out.

That is how these things are meant to work. Harold wasn't a cheerleader of either side although he was in favour of IN.

I've no doubt that if the vote had gone against him, he would have proceeded with an alternative plan already prepared by the CS.

It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241

tlg86 said:

From the Guardian:

Jeremy Corbyn has replaced 10 of the shadow ministers who resigned (or were sacked in Hilary Benn’s case).

The reshuffle involves moving Emily Thornberry from shadow defence minister to shadow foreign secretary, and replacing her with the new MP for Norwich South Clive Lewis.

Diane Abbott is also promoted to shadow health secretary.

Here’s the full list:
    Shadow Foreign Secretary - Emily Thornberry

Shadow Health Secretary – Diane Abbott

Shadow Education Secretary – Pat Glass

Shadow Transport Secretary – Andy McDonald

Shadow Defence Secretary – Clive Lewis

Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury – Rebecca Long-Bailey

Shadow International Development Secretary – Kate Osamor

Shadow Environment Food and Rural Affairs Secretary – Rachel Maskell

Shadow Voter Engagement and Youth Affairs – Cat Smith

Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary – Dave Anderson

Who are these people!?
    Don't ask me - have not heard of several of them
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    GIN1138 said:

Boy George has surfaced then? :smiley:

'Do you really want to hurt me?

Loads of people: 'YES!!"
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    perdix said:

PlatoSaid said:

No emergency budget - what a surprise, not.

Market turmoil, Boris rolling back on ending free movement, NHS £350m a week revealed to be bollocks, firms holding back or cancelling investment and hiring. What a surprise, not.
    So its now been reduced to 'firms holding back or cancelling investment and hiring'.

We were told that all the car factories would shut down this week.
    Nobody said that the car factories would shut this week. Typical abuse of the truth by a Leaver.
    They implied it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    What we need is someone really good at using chaos as a ladder of opportunity st the helm. Petyr Baelish?
  • Options

Lowlander said:

Btw, if Scotland does go independent and stays in the EU, what are their proposed nationality requirements to become a citizen? If I have a grandparent who is 1/2 scottish can I claim citizenship - I think that was the case as laid out in their 2014 white paper.

I think an Independent Scotland might be in need of a wall...
    I have an image of Sturgeon standing in front of a Breaking Point style poster - 57 million englishmen are coming to take your jobs!
    I think would be more like a Berlin Wall, designed to stop Scots fleeing.
  • Options

pinkrose said:
    Andrew Neil is not exactly good at hiding his Leave bias is he.
    What?? Everyone can see forthemselves. If the economy goes into recession I blame remain for talking the economy down.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    I'm somewhat surprised that these people are accepting these posts. Can anyone actually believe that Labour could plausibly enter a GE campaign with Corbyn at the helm now?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

paulyork said:

Is it possible to agree to continued FoM as the price of Free Trade. and then once the deal is rubber stamped start using our reclaimeed national powers to reduce benefits for non-UK citizens?

The lack of immigration control would be hard to stomach for those for whom that was the main issue they voted. but it can easily be argued that a 52% vote means the views of the other side cannot be ignored. whether that reasoning is accepted is another matter. this may not matter to the conservatives who probably weren't going to get most of their votes anyway.

There is a really good point here that I am not sure on - if we did agree to FOM as part of EEA/EFTA, are we actually accepting the common citizenship of the EU? If not, are we not free to deny benefits to anyone who is coming from an EU country?
    Mr Hannan said so in a TV interview. (Newsnight?)

He was talking about freedom of Labour (if you have a job offer, you can come to work). An end to EU Citizenship, and the ability to refuse entry to anyone.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I have to say I thought that Osborne's speech this morning was quite good, it had the right tone and emphasised many important points. But the contrast between it and some of the scare mongering during the campaign was obvious, and so I still think Osborne has to go quite soon.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'An interesting option for Corbyn is to replace some of the resigning shadow ministers with the three most respected figures of Lexit - Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kelvin Hokpins. If the Europhiles object, tough - they've already jumped ship. And I say that as a Europhile myself. It would simply signal that Labour was responding seriously to the Lexit WWC.'

Would any of those MP's want to be associated with Corbyn & IRA McDonnell ?

There's a very good article by Dominic Lawson in yesterday's STimes about Gisela's reasons for joining Leave.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2016-06-26/comment/with-that-x-in-the-box-we-just-voted-to-bring-back-our-democracy-v3rkvb5b6
  • Options

Looking at the non-job titles of ssome shadow ministers resigning, there are clearly too many. Eg Shadow minister for civil society.

Diane is now Shadow Health Sec!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Lowlander said:

What a time to be alive!

Isn’t Cat Smith in trouble over election expenses?

I was reading a very good post on a new (to me) blogsite where the poster commented, inter alia, that up to now workers in the EU have been colleagues; now they will be competitors. I know that’s not strictly true, but it does highlight the changed relationship.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    Oh God. Chris Grayling just said this.

"The single market is a phrase."
  • Options

paulyork said:

Is it possible to agree to continued FoM as the price of Free Trade. and then once the deal is rubber stamped start using our reclaimeed national powers to reduce benefits for non-UK citizens?

The lack of immigration control would be hard to stomach for those for whom that was the main issue they voted. but it can easily be argued that a 52% vote means the views of the other side cannot be ignored. whether that reasoning is accepted is another matter. this may not matter to the conservatives who probably weren't going to get most of their votes anyway.

There is a really good point here that I am not sure on - if we did agree to FOM as part of EEA/EFTA, are we actually accepting the common citizenship of the EU? If not, are we not free to deny benefits to anyone who is coming from an EU country?
    Mr Hannan said so in a TV interview. (Newsnight?)

He was talking about freedom of Labour (if you have a job offer, you can come to work). An end to EU Citizenship, and the ability to refuse entry to anyone.
    Careful, that's a concept that will strain the cerebral cortex of several remainers. Get your thinking caps on remainers, I know you can do it!
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

What a time to be alive!

I heard her on the radio recently and was taken aback that someone who sounded so dim could possibly be an MP.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

tlg86 said:

From the Guardian:

Jeremy Corbyn has replaced 10 of the shadow ministers who resigned (or were sacked in Hilary Benn’s case).

The reshuffle involves moving Emily Thornberry from shadow defence minister to shadow foreign secretary, and replacing her with the new MP for Norwich South Clive Lewis.

Diane Abbott is also promoted to shadow health secretary.

Here’s the full list:
    Shadow Foreign Secretary - Emily Thornberry

Shadow Health Secretary – Diane Abbott

Shadow Education Secretary – Pat Glass

Shadow Transport Secretary – Andy McDonald

Shadow Defence Secretary – Clive Lewis

Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury – Rebecca Long-Bailey

Shadow International Development Secretary – Kate Osamor

Shadow Environment Food and Rural Affairs Secretary – Rachel Maskell

Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary – Dave Anderson

Who are these people!?
    Can you recognise the resigning ones?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    glw said:

Lowlander said:

What a time to be alive!

I heard her on the radio recently and was taken aback that someone who sounded so dim could possibly be an MP.
    Aren't the police investigating her for fraud?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Looking at the non-job titles of ssome shadow ministers resigning, there are clearly too many. Eg Shadow minister for civil society.

The casting couch lives.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr P,

An interesting and ingenious proposal, but sadly too complicated for poor old Jezza's brain.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @STJamesl: Labour peers have unilaterally declared independence from Corbyn
    https://t.co/iD6m8uuaIh
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I'm somewhat surprised that these people are accepting these posts. Can anyone actually believe that Labour could plausibly enter a GE campaign with Corbyn at the helm now?

He'll lead Labour into the next GE without doubt. Nick Palmer and his fellow Labour members are more interested in having him in place than in having a Labour PM.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: New shadow cabinet is a Dad's Army of those still standing: Corbyn Praetorian guard plus a few waverers like Burnham.

Now there's a shiny quacking robot in mascara
  • Options

So where does Corbyn find replacements for all these people resigning?

Hope he's got a magic people tree next to the money one.

:lol:
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wanderer said:

I would be interested to know whether Conservative Leavers on here trust Johnson or May to actually deliver Brexit. Obviously they will say they will but are you happy with those assurances or would you prefer a leader who is more ideologically committed to Leave.

I won't be happy until Article 50 is triggered. It's pretty clear how unwilling most of the Establishment/media are to accept the will of the people. The last few days reminded me of the BBC over Hutton - and that's not a good thing.

I trust Gove completely.

Once the denial/anger phase is over - I'm a little anxious about the bargaining mindset. I don't believe in my head that anyone from Leave would be sucked in by that siren call. After 3 months of taking every insult going, they're not going to backtrack now.

I read Boris' article and took it as a pitch for PM, soothing words, healing wounds, listen to concerns da-de-da. It's typical of what every new winner says.

I'm very ambivalent about May - I really don't like her authoritarian streak, nor her endless side swapping for careerist reasons. She's a tough lady though and has the gravitas. Boris needs to show me he can be serious.

The Leave campaign are quite happy to keep Article 50 in the long grass, possibly for ever.
    Not forever.the pressure to declare is too high and they'd be eaten alive if they don't at some point. Only a new offer from the eu could prevent it being declared - conspiracy would be that's why we want to wait to declare, to get one - but they have for once been very clear and self interest would mean it should be belied that there won't be. Add to that as the people's will has been shown, realistically only the people's will being shown to change is needed to not declare after all. And any second ref would probably be lost. Either half s million switchers, much higher turnout for remain but not for leave and Scotland turning out again for remain, none of which is likely, is needed.

Good day.
    Won't take much to change the 'people's will', 1.9% of the total. I suspect that will be the case within a few weeks. Good point about Scotland though, they might vote Leave if a new referendum was held now.
  • Options
    nunu said:

pinkrose said:
    What?? Everyone can see forthemselves. If the economy goes into recession I blame remain for talking the economy down.
    That would be a bit of an overreaction. Talking alone won't bring us into recession. Heck, we were probably going to have one soon anyway.
  • Options
    @jessphillips: Seems slightly highfalutin to resign as I was just the PPS in the Education Team but it was Lucy who asked me, she is gone. So am I.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    So the emerging Tory backtrack appears to be:

*We* didn't say anything about migration in the campaign. That was all Nigel, and he's not the one in power.

Bwahahahaha. The WWC has as we all knew been sold a pup, 2 in fact with the bullshit about extra money for the NHS. Their anger will be a sight to behold.

• Options
    Lowlander said:

What a time to be alive!

Momentum has moved into her Portcullis House offices...
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142
    Patrick.
    "They're now feeling pretty much the way a majority of the country has been feeling for over a quarter of a century."

On that subject I read this paragraph yesterday -

"this undoubtedly painful experience of being outvoted by people you do not identify with and do not understand is most likely a first for you, but for many Leave voters it is the story of every single day of their lives until now. When they wanted the right to elect and sack the people who made their own laws, they were mocked as “little Englanders”. When they were concerned about immigration, they were dismissed as racists. When they wondered why their jobs had been lost and not replaced but London was still booming, they were ignored as mere occupants of a regional scrapheap. When they put an England flag outside their house to support their country, they were sneered at by Shadow Cabinet ministers. They felt grief and confusion of being endlessly defeated on issues which they believed were common sense and obvious – the same grief you feel now, and not just once but for years on end."
  • Options
    As terrible as he is, I'd probably prefer Osborne over Boris. I trust him more, which is not much. But as a very mild remainer Maybis p rob ably better - not many leaver options.
  • Options
    Jess 'Birmingham' Philips goes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunu said:

pinkrose said:
    That would be a bit of an overreaction. Talking alone won't bring us into recession. Heck, we were probably going to have one soon anyway.
    Why not have a best of three series of referenda, loser ?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    edited June 2016

Omnium said:

He'll lead Labour into the next GE without doubt. Nick Palmer and his fellow Labour members are more interested in having him in place than in having a Labour PM.

I can't imagine that Nick and others don't have a point at which they think its completely untenable.

Edit: Lords leaving the ship now too. (As Scott_P mentioned)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

So the emerging Tory backtrack appears to be:

*We* didn't say anything about migration in the campaign. That was all Nigel, and he's not the one in power.

Bwahahahaha. The WWC has as we all knew been sold a pup, 2 in fact with the bullshit about extra money for the NHS. Their anger will be a sight to behold.

Right, and they'll take it out on foreigners not the rich people who conned them. Works every time.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    It is as Pulpstar said. People are backing David Miliband at 8.2. Just been matched at that price laying him. What the actual fuck?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    PlatoSaid said:

Jeremy has no sense of humour. Shadow Education Sec would have been far more appropriate...
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

It is as Pulpstar said. People are backing David Miliband at 8.2. Just been matched at that price laying him. What the actual fuck?

Makes me wonder if Betfair exchange is a brilliant way to get around money laundering checks.
  • Options
    eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

Jeremy has no sense of humour. Shadow Education Sec would have been far more appropriate...
    LOL. More money for private schools!
  • Options
    Prety sure Labour MP's have lined up Kinnock to lead them. He wants to finish off what his dad couldn't.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I can't imagine that Nick and others don't have a point at which they think its completely untenable.

Edit: Lords leaving the ship now too. (As Scott_P mentioned)

Short of Corbyn being exposed as a "Blairite" they are not going to turn on him. They have their party back.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

Then there is the internal renegotiation. Where all going to be shafted by Brexit in the short and medium term. The battle is for the long term. Now that the referendum is over and the useful idiots of the northern and welsh WWC have served their purpose the normal power structures ( elites and parliament ) will reassert themselves. The new dialectic will be between Tory, prosperous and southern leave areas and Remainia. The short and medium term is the easiest bit. The cuts necessitated by Leave can simply be concentrated on the northern WWC areas as the previous customers were. Scotland will punch above it's weight under Sturgeon. It's how the southern Leavers and Remainia reach synthesis that's key. I don't know how yet but it won't be pretty for the northern WWC who've suicide bombed our place in Europe.

Those wwc voters though can now guarantee UKIP a quarter of the vote and UKIP will be focused almost entirely on an anti immigration platform
    Will UKIP exist in 2020?

A backstory during the referendum campaign was intense faction fighting within UKIP. I think Suzanne Evans was sacked 3 times.
    If immigration falls significantly no, if as is more likely it does not change that much it maybe even increase its support perhaps under someone like Paul Nuttall
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited June 2016
    I apologise if some one has already made this observation... If a "get back in the EU" party set itself up with a single objective, to re-enter the EU, and once that has been achieved recall a general election.

Are there enough seats to galvanise all the remainers in the constituencies up and down England and Wales to coalesce around one party? I'm thinking along the model of the SNP post their referendum, where they seemed to manage to wholesale acquire all the independence voters, with all the other parties fighting over the pro union votes.

This would be a plan especially if a new PM wants a GE. It could even be done by the SNP.

SNP putting candidates across England and Wales....
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

As anything seems capable of happening in politics at the moment, why not?

Indeed, if PLP does split. Who better to be a leading figure in the new grouping? It'll need some policy heft if nothing else.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

Why have Diane as shadow education minister when you can have this charmer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-36334488

• Options

Jess 'Birmingham' Philips goes.

thank god.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    kle4 said:

As terrible as he is, I'd probably prefer Osborne over Boris. I trust him more, which is not much. But as a very mild remainer Maybis p rob ably better - not many leaver options.

You remind me, kle4, of all the old Tory snobs that couldn't bear the maverick Churchill to be their PM. For the first two years of his premiership they gave him a hard time, even during the Battle of Britain period. Many of them were appeasers of Germany and Hitler before the war. Are you yourself, a not so secret appeaser of the EU?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

LOL
  • Options
    George Eaton says Labour MPs tell me that they expect Tom Watson to tell Corbyn that he should resign.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Moses_ said:

Would Stuart et al go for it?
    One of the (many) things which show how screwed Labour is, is that Gisela Stuart - the most impressive on either side, who monstered Eagle in the first debate, who could keep Labour alive in the North - is not being mentioned as a potential leader.
    I sincerely hope she's on the Brexit negotiation team. Her experience on the last Treaty is invaluable insight.

Toby Perkins was very plain speaking earlier about Labour failing to understand their own voters in the North. As @Danny565 noted, unless they wake up and take notice - they're stuffed.

The unhappy residents of Rochdale et al have stuck their tongues out. Patting them on the head isn't going to work now.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

Prety sure Labour MP's have lined up Kinnock to lead them. He wants to finish off what his dad couldn't.

Have you see this ultra-privileged oddball's media performances ? Serial killer chilling imo.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited June 2016

Wanderer said:

Makes me wonder if Betfair exchange is a brilliant way to get around money laundering checks.
    Yesterday Ed Balls went in to 4.2
  • Options
    @STJamesl: "If the '83 manifesto was the longest suicide note in history the 2016 shadow cabinet is surely the shortest" Labour MP tells me.
  • Options

nunu said:

Have you see this ultra-privileged oddball's media performances ? Serial killer chilling imo.
    I know but makes you think the Labour MP's are in touch with reality?
  • Options
    eek said:

Wanderer said:

Yesterday Ed Balls went in to 4.2
    That's the power of Mike and PB
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I am a Leave supporter and I agree that immigration control was a major issue in the campaign. However, now Brexit is going to happen and the country is divided there will need to be a compromise. I don't see EEA membership as an option - the rules on freedom of movement and adoption of too much EU law will be unacceptable to the Leave campaign. However, the EU are going to want something in return for a FTA.

So how do Leavers (and others) feel about (a) a UK-EU FTA (b) some block payment to the EU in return as with the Swiss (c) an agreement that any EU citizen can enter and work in the UK providing they have a job offer in advance, but that they do not gain permanent residency rights nor are they eligible for any benefits (as there is no longer a concept of EU citizenship and shared rights). Basically, EU citizens would have an unlimited period temporary work visa on demand, and the same for UK citizens in the EU, but if they want permanent residency they have to apply as usual. I think this would reduce immigration from the EU significantly - many of the Eastern European immigrants just rock up and look for low skilled work and will not be able or prepared to get a job offer in advance, and the lack of long term residency will be a limiter.

Is it enough of a win for the immigration-control leavers and would it give the EU enough of a win to agree to an FTA, which frankly they are going to have to do at some stage, whether now or in the future?

Not accepting that. You cannot win a referendum with such huge huge consequences on the basis of ending Freedom of Movement then glibly opt for something that doesn't provide it and hope everybody is happy with that because it's a "compromise".

Millions of Leavers will feel duped and millions of Remainers will know you basically cheated your way to winning the vote.
  • Options
    and another one goes.

Popcorntastic!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Then there is the internal renegotiation. Where all going to be shafted by Brexit in the short and medium term. The battle is for the long term. Now that the referendum is over and the useful idiots of the northern and welsh WWC have served their purpose the normal power structures ( elites and parliament ) will reassert themselves. The new dialectic will be between Tory, prosperous and southern leave areas and Remainia. The short and medium term is the easiest bit. The cuts necessitated by Leave can simply be concentrated on the northern WWC areas as the previous customers were. Scotland will punch above it's weight under Sturgeon. It's how the southern Leavers and Remainia reach synthesis that's key. I don't know how yet but it won't be pretty for the northern WWC who've suicide bombed our place in Europe.

Those wwc voters though can now guarantee UKIP a quarter of the vote and UKIP will be focused almost entirely on an anti immigration platform
    Will UKIP exist in 2020?

A backstory during the referendum campaign was intense faction fighting within UKIP. I think Suzanne Evans was sacked 3 times.
    If immigration falls significantly no, if as is more likely it does not change that much it maybe even increase its support perhaps under someone like Paul Nuttall
    So it is likely then that before too long we will have the following:

1) No change in immigration
    2) UKIP resurgent
    3) UK "access" to single market
    4) Cost of access = GBP contribution, following all single market rules, allowing ECJ to opine on application of single market rules, no input into single market rules.
    5) "People" disillusioned with politics (not that they care or understand, or ever have done).

So billions upon billions of pounds of value destroyed to end up broadly where we were a month ago.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    OllyT said:

Not accepting that.

Good for you.

• Options
    MikeK said:

kle4 said:

You remind me, kle4, of all the old Tory snobs that couldn't bear the maverick Churchill to be their PM. For the first two years of his premiership they gave him a hard time, even during the Battle of Britain period. Many of them were appeasers of Germany and Hitler before the war. Are you yourself, a not so secret appeaser of the EU?
    Mentioning Hitler means you've lost the argument.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Will UKIP exist in 2020?

2) UKIP resurgent
    4) Cost of access = GBP contribution, following all single market rules, allowing ECJ to opine on application of single market rules, no input into single market rules.
    5) "People" disillusioned with politics (not that they care or understand, or ever have done).

So billions upon billions of pounds of value destroyed to end up broadly where we were a month ago.
    Guess you should have run a better campaign
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Indigo said:

Perhaps the only way we can hope to get out of this mess is if Boris as PM has another change of mind.

He's now the best hope for Remain, ironically, as his opinions seem very flexible. I think a simple re-run would be hard to sell, but if Scotland leaves the UK, as it probably will, that changes the picture enough to make it worth asking the question again.
    If Scotland leave it becomes is 46/54 vote instead of a 59/51 vote, no one is ever going to shift the 7-8m votes needed to change that, especially if the markets get through this week without a major nervous breakdown.
    Maybe I'm bollocksing this up but IIUC Remain got 1,661,191 votes in Scotland vs 1,018,322 for Leave. So Remain would start 0.6 million behind where they were last time, in addition to their current 1.35 million deficit. They need to either flip 1 million voters, or mobilize / demobilize 2 million. That's not a trivial task, but it doesn't sound a priori impossible.
  • Options
    nunu said:

I am a Leave supporter and I agree that immigration control was a major issue in the campaign. However, now Brexit is going to happen and the country is divided there will need to be a compromise. I don't see EEA membership as an option - the rules on freedom of movement and adoption of too much EU law will be unacceptable to the Leave campaign. However, the EU are going to want something in return for a FTA.

So how do Leavers (and others) feel about (a) a UK-EU FTA (b) some block payment to the EU in return as with the Swiss (c) an agreement that any EU citizen can enter and work in the UK providing they have a job offer in advance, but that they do not gain permanent residency rights nor are they eligible for any benefits (as there is no longer a concept of EU citizenship and shared rights). Basically, EU citizens would have an unlimited period temporary work visa on demand, and the same for UK citizens in the EU, but if they want permanent residency they have to apply as usual. I think this would reduce immigration from the EU significantly - many of the Eastern European immigrants just rock up and look for low skilled work and will not be able or prepared to get a job offer in advance, and the lack of long term residency will be a limiter.

Is it enough of a win for the immigration-control leavers and would it give the EU enough of a win to agree to an FTA, which frankly they are going to have to do at some stage, whether now or in the future?

Actually Lord Ashcrofts polling shows immigration is number two issue number one was policies should be made here.

I just love the way Leavers are now trying to pretend it wasn't immigration that won it. Priceless, just about every angry Leaver interviewed said it was immigration and no amount of Lord Ashcroft's "polling" is going to convince people otherwise.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241
    I've just had an email.

I've been appointed Shadow Minister of State in the Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship, taking over from Ben Swain after his resignation earlier.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

The casting couch lives.
    :open_mouth::naughty::open_mouth:
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601

Moses_ said:

I agree with your thinking but it's not going to happen. It would have had to be Shadow Cabinet rather than junior ministerial posts. I think Corbyn will genuinely be struggling to find enough willing to endorse his leadership to fill vacancies in the latter. So far he's instead promoted Emily Thornberry and Pat Glass - not the actions of someone who really appreciates the parlous state of Labour's remaining WWC vote.

Your point though applies to the team that any new Labour leader appoints. Stuart in particular is now a household name and her appointment in any new Labour Shadow Cabinet could go a long way towards giving a signal to C2DEs who voted Leave that Labour is serious about regaining their trust.

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

As anything seems capable of happening in politics at the moment, why not?

Indeed, if PLP does split. Who better to be a leading figure in the new grouping? It'll need some policy heft if nothing else.
    The bet is for next Labour leader, not leader of Son-of-SDP. And he's not an MP.
  • Options
    Cameron has an opportunity to rescue some of his reputation and his legacy. He could have a reshuffle today to oust Ozzy and empower some of the Brexiters. Yes - I know. He'd more likely cartwheel naked down Whitehall. But making Gove Deputy PM or Chancellor and giving Boris a chief negotiator role or some such would help. He should at least very publically tell all the Project Teddy In The Corner mob to STFU. It's still his job as PM to do the right thing for the country and all this infantile backtracking the day after a political revolution is NOT helping either country or any of the protagonists' own reputations.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Will UKIP exist in 2020?

2) UKIP resurgent

Perhaps so. I think they went full on 150% Project Fear because they worried that they wouldn't win. And so it became self-defeating, partly.

("Partly", because UK politics runs on hyperbole; I'm not sure an "on the one hand..." campaign would have been successful either.)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    OllyT said:

nunu said:

Actually Lord Ashcrofts polling shows immigration is number two issue number one was policies should be made here.

I just love the way Leavers are now trying to pretend it wasn't immigration that won it. Priceless, just about every angry Leaver interviewed said it was immigration and no amount of Lord Ashcroft's "polling" is going to convince people otherwise.
    They can claim whatever they want. There was leave and remain campaigns. They both put forward their positions. But the question wasnt whether or not you agree with either side, the question was to leave or remain in the EU.

You can leave the EU. If we leave the EU, it is utterly essential that we remain in the single market. Remaining in the single market will not make one jot of difference to free movement, and it wont even remotely bother industry.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited June 2016

Had Remain won 51 to 49%, I suppose Labour would have really got the wipe out in the Northern Brexit voting heartlands. A bit like SLAB after the winning referendum after a lackluster campaign. Corbyn would have been Lamont and the new one pushed with great hope by the London would have become Murphy.

Ironically if Murphy had been able to hang on in E.Ren he would now be the one pushed with great hope by London Labour (though pushed even harder by himself).
  • Options
    eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

I see Pat "these bigoted people, wherever this is" Glass has that honour.
  • Options

I've just had an email.

I've been appointed Shadow Minister of State in the Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship, taking over from Ben Swain after his resignation earlier.

Congrats!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I've just had an email.

Congrats!
    don't settle in too much, theres a ge soon
  • Options
    nunu said:

pinkrose said:
    That's irony, right?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Will UKIP exist in 2020?

2) UKIP resurgent

Perhaps so. I think they went full on 150% Project Fear because they worried that they wouldn't win. And so it became self-defeating, partly.

("Partly", because UK politics runs on hyperbole; I'm not sure an "on the one hand..." campaign would have been successful either.)
    Fewer insults, less scaremongering and a hint to making things work better and they would have had it imo.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2016
    Patrick said:

Cameron has an opportunity to rescue some of his reputation and his legacy. He could have a reshuffle today to oust Ozzy and empower some of the Brexiters. Yes - I know. He'd more likely cartwheel naked down Whitehall. But making Gove Deputy PM or Chancellor and giving Boris a chief negotiator role or some such would help. He should at least very publically tell all the Project Teddy In The Corner mob to STFU. It's still his job as PM to do the right thing for the country and all this infantile backtracking the day after a political revolution is NOT helping either country or any of the protagonists' own reputations.

Cameron wont do anything to help Boris, and why should he.
  • Options

I've just had an email.

Many congratulations.

Go make a difference.
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Sam Coates reckons there are three #LabourCoup groups. "No we're the official #LabourCoup" "F**k Off" etc.

SPLIIIITTTTEEEERRRRRSSSSSSS
  • Options
    Just seen this on the BBC live page:

Jack Blanchard @Jack_Blanchard_
    Team Corbyn digging in. Source says they're "ready" for leadership contest and will launch new £3 membership drive to boost support

Genius!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

nunu said:

But one of those policies that should be made here is immigration ;) Basically that is what Hannan has been saying for years, he doesn't necessarily want immigration reduced, he just wants to British people to be in charge of it, a view with which I personally have much sympathy (so that we can chuck out various undesirables).
    But that was most definitely not the prospectus on which you won the referendum.

Would Leave have won saying " If we win we be joining another trading bloc which will still allow Freedom of Movement from the EU including Turkey (as they will be joining imminently as we were told) and still mean we will be contributing to the EU budget"?
  • Options

nunu said:

I prefer him to Will Straw - he looks like he's going to chin you. I find him rather scary/intense.
  • Options
    Can we skip the resignation letters now please, guys? They're filling up the live blogs with clutter. Just email to say you are off.
  • Options
    Had the shadow cabinet not resigned yesterday, I was going to do a thread along those lines.

Headlined 'June 23rd might be Leave's Cannae, they may have won the battle but will they lose the war'

I had actually predicted what Boris had written in his column.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    In the time it took to go to work, the number of resignations this morning doubled.
  • Options

I've just had an email.

:sweat_smile:
This discussion has been closed.