Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big thank you to those who’ve contributed to the post-ref

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,428
    IanB2 said:

Labour activist Tom Mauchline can be heard saying: "I had a Polish friend in tears because you couldn't get out the vote in Wales, the North and the Midlands."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Another false narrative being pushed I see....There was no problem getting the vote out, it is just they didn't want to follow the official party line.

I fear that the voters in question may not be following the Labour party line for a very long time to come. See John Harris articles in Guardian.
    It's not nice for anyone to be in tears. But I don't see how it's any more awful than someone being in tears having voted for Brexit and lost. That's what happens in a democracy.
    I think you're missing the point; the person in the OP isn't in tears because they voted and then lost (not least because they are probably ineligible).

Imagine you're a Brit living in Spain, and you just saw a big vote in Spain won on the back of widespread concern about all the Brit immigrants there, whipped up by inflammatory Anti-British stories in much of the Spanish press. You too would be feeling sad about it, at the very least.
    I have imagined that scenario (minus your dramatic flourishes about inflammatory anti EU-migrant sentiment) - caused by the result being decried as bigoted by some of my UK-based EU citizen friends. Yes, I would find it worrisome and unsettling, on a purely practical level. But I wouldn't find the result or those who voted for it in any way objectionable or reprehensible. I really wouldn't. Their democratic right.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited June 2016

It may have been posted earlier, but I hadn't seen this interview with Jean-Claude Juncker:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jean-claude-juncker-interview-brexit-2016-6?IR=T

Glad to see that Juncker sees the democratic process as 'such crass rabble-rousing'

PS missed this gem 'we will have to have an open and honest discussion in the European Council about how we can ... join forces to counteract populist movements'
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

John_N4 said:

1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising.

And they are all wasting their time. Apart from anything else the wording of the petition is 'if the vote share is less than 60%' and so the petition would only have been valid before the vote.
    Wonder how many of them are labour party in activists who were foaming at the mouth when the tories were talking about the same threshold on Strike ballots?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    What % of sixth formers eligible to vote did so? I'm seeing 25% floating about. Is this true?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/746710438843383808

We all backed a 2016 election at 16/1 months ago, I trust.

Those were indeed good odds but I think it is very unlikely that the new leader of the Tories will want an election. What if there were some buyers remorse in reality as opposed to the minds of the BBC and the far from united Tories faced a Labour party committed to remaining in? Just not worth the risk.
    The new prime minister, selected by a few tens of thousands of elderly tory members in the shires, will have very little democratic legitimacy.

As Nate silver (or one of his colleagues) said on his podcast, it would be like the republican primary voters of Iowa selecting the next POTUS.

And when Gordon Brown was crowned by the Labour Party in 2007, he immediately...

Yes, he was wrong.

It would be even more wrong for the next prime minister, who would only derive their legitimacy from the tory selectorate, to attempt to write huge chunks of our new constitution and attempt to negotiate on britains behalf.
    Sam Coates TimesVerified account
    @SamCoatesTimes
    Tory MP contacted by Boris campaign says they r telling MPs he wd go for an immediate general election if he wins to get fresh mandate.

Yeh, right, and we all believe what campaigns tell MPs when they are trying to get signatures, don't we?
    Promising an election and hence instant job insecurity is a funny way of trying to win support from MPs?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,007

Scott_P said:
    Another sad consequence of all this is that it's allowed the anglophobes to play up their anti-English stereotype. You can sense their gleeful sense of vindication: 'See, we were right about that lot all along.' And, of course, there's very little we can say.
    They were right all along...

Now the English are saying that the EU is anti-democratic because it insists on the UK government recognising the outcome of the referendum, while the UK government is ritually pretending that it didn't hear.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,304
    Poland beat Switzerland 5-4 on penalties!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Those were indeed good odds but I think it is very unlikely that the new leader of the Tories will want an election. What if there were some buyers remorse in reality as opposed to the minds of the BBC and the far from united Tories faced a Labour party committed to remaining in? Just not worth the risk.
    The new prime minister, selected by a few tens of thousands of elderly tory members in the shires, will have very little democratic legitimacy.

As Nate silver (or one of his colleagues) said on his podcast, it would be like the republican primary voters of Iowa selecting the next POTUS.

The country has voted to tear up our constitutional, diplomatic and trading agreements.

Whoever the tory party membership select as their man would be insane not to go to the country immediately.
    The next PM will be the one who can command a majority in the HoC. That's the way it works. It is why we had to put up with that idiot Brown for 2 years. As I was saying before the referendum we might effectively have minority government but it will be the job of the next leader to try and keep the party and government together.
    it was v nearly three years...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Give the Poles UK passports! We need decent penalty takers!
  • Options
    Wales v. Northern Ireland at 5pm!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    MikeL said:

But it's very, very risky.
    They need a 6% lead minimum again for a bare majority - and a bit more if the Lib Dens recover even a little.

Sod all chance of a coalition either.

Guess it depends on the polling in the honeymoon period. If Johnson, and he strikes the right conciliatory tone, might work. He's basically got an open goal against Corbyn, after all.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Scott_P said:

@zenjournalist: After Brexit vote, Polish people in England are being targeted with fliers saying "No more Polish vermin" https://t.co/hYCHIqwFuV

Not only was the campaign fought, and won, on the platform of anti-immigration, the win has given license to those who are anti-immigrant.

Awesome

We are where we are.

This sort of garbage needs to be fallen on like a ton of bricks.

When I was growing up "Poles" stood by us in WWII (which is more than we did for them) - so the government needs to quickly and unequivocally put their minds at ease.
  • Options
    EU 1: non-EU 0
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

It may have been posted earlier, but I hadn't seen this interview with Jean-Claude Juncker:

"At the same time it is hardly surprising. If someone complains about Europe from Monday to Saturday then nobody is going to believe him on Sunday when he says he is a convinced European."
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

@zenjournalist: After Brexit vote, Polish people in England are being targeted with fliers saying "No more Polish vermin" https://t.co/hYCHIqwFuV

Not only was the campaign fought, and won, on the platform of anti-immigration, the win has given license to those who are anti-immigrant.

Awesome

We are where we are.

When I was growing up "Poles" stood by us in WWII (which is more than we did for them) - so the government needs to quickly and unequivocally put their minds at ease.
    Poland is a wonderful, heroic, tragic country, and its people are as pro-British as they come. Any kickback from the EUref on them would be sad indeed.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

On topic: My very grateful thanks to everyone who kept the site running through the campaign and during the referendum day/night. I have no TV and PB is my go-to source of news & entertainment. It was clear that @AndyJS's spreadsheet was worth its weight in gold (perhaps literally, to those who bet as events unfold).

I'm really grateful, too to all those contributors (above & below the line) who helped me to make up my mind on what issues were important to me. Very often I find that remarks I disagree with help a lot because they impel me to think through why I disagree.

And finally, thanks to the site & you all for being there whilst I've been ill & recovering (was mumps). A happy coincidence that there was an event of national importance in the offing. I'm more or less recovered now so will almost certainly be posting less after the weekend.

Great to hear you're on the mend.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    MikeL said:

DavidL said:

I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will need his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.

They need a 6% lead minimum again for a bare majority - and a bit more if the Lib Dens recover even a little.

Worth remembering the DUP supported Brexit - that means the 8 DUP MPs are bound to support a Brexit Con Government. That increases the effective Con Majority to 32 (ie 12 official + 4 SF missing + 16 DUP)
    After Harold Wilson fell ill, Jim Callaghan was a Labour PM for nearly three years 1976-1979 without a majority at all, he did a deal with the Liberals and just passed whatever legislation he could get away with.
    Brexit has been approved by the MPs bosses - the electorate, so they can't legitimately block it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuyVerhofstadt: It's wrong that Scotland might be taken out of EU, when it voted to stay. Happy to discuss w. @NicolaSturgeon next time she's in Bxl. #EUref
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    The BBC are pure comedy today.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Miss JGP, glad you're recovered :)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,428
    MTimT said:

Glad to see that Juncker sees the democratic process as 'such crass rabble-rousing'
    If you think that's bad, check this out:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/brexit-democratic-failure-for-uk-by-kenneth-rogoff-2016-06

WHY OH WHY did you let the PEOPLE CHOOSE? - from the land of the free no less
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    GIN1138 said:

What's the old sour puss got to say? :smiley:
    "I was then very surprised to see that this settlement played no role whatsoever in the campaign in the United Kingdom."

Laughable, it played no role because even Dave at his best couldn't sell something so insubstantial.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    DeClare said:

MikeL said:

DavidL said:

I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will need his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.

Worth remembering the DUP supported Brexit - that means the 8 DUP MPs are bound to support a Brexit Con Government. That increases the effective Con Majority to 32 (ie 12 official + 4 SF missing + 16 DUP)
    After Harold Wilson fell ill, Jim Callaghan was a Labour PM for nearly three years 1976-1979 without a majority at all, he did a deal with the Liberals and just passed whatever legislation he could get away with.
    Brexit has been approved by the MPs bosses - the electorate, so they can't legitimately block it.
    We are probably at peak Boris right now, he should be brave and go for it.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising.

Once in a generation kind of thing They'll have to be patient.
    Of course the Government could stick 2 fingers up at them and apply the rules on any FUTURE Join/ Stay out referendum.

As I said before - it is the liberal left blowing a hissy fit because they are emotionally immature and incapable of accepting adversity.
    I wonder how many insulting words it's possible to get into a sentence? I've always thought that ostentatious literal interpretation of what someone is saying while contemptuously ignoring their meaning is immature.

"Incapable of accepting adversity"? What's wrong with not accepting adversity? When the going gets tough, the tough get going - they don't just "accept" the position. This isn't boarding school.

The number of signatures on the petition is about to go over 1.8 million.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    glw said:

PlatoSaid said:

Funnily enough, our local Chinese takeaway owner killed his wife and buried her under the patio. His lack of creativity did for him in the end.

Blimey! It does have to be about the worst place to leave a body, as it is one place the police always look, but as GeoffM said if your plans went wrong, of if you didn't plan it at all, you've got to do something with the body.
    I was involved for the crown in the prosecution of a murder in Aberdeen a few years ago. The defence was that the accused had come back to the flat and found his partner dead. In a slightly surprising fit of tidiness he buried the body at the local cemetery.

The AD cross examined him at tedious length about everything he had done that day and then asked, "so when did you dig the hole?" The accused's face just went completely slack and some of the jury laughed. He will still be inside.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MTimT said:

PS missed this gem 'we will have to have an open and honest discussion in the European Council about how we can ... join forces to counteract populist movements'
    I read somewhere (sorry, no link) only just before the referendum that Mr Juncker was telling national representatives on EU councils & the like that they must stop being so focussed on their national concerns and give more weight to the EU project.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited June 2016
    FPT
    MTimT said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

as a famous Persian once said...

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

I know

What's hilarious is the Brexiteers desperately trying to erase it !

"We didn't campaign on immigration"

Priceless
    I didn't support Leave for the issue of immigration, though I will say that immigration was the issue that put it over the top.

The Leave coalition is quite a diverse one, lefty leavers were for Leave as a vote against globalization, centrist leavers supported Leave as a vote for democracy, right leavers supported Leave as a vote against mass immigration.

That's why you need to include in the negotiation Labour leavers and Farage in order to represent all the sides, and make sure that they sign the agreement so that no one moans afterwards.
    We also desperately need non-politicians and non-diplomats involved in the negotiations - people who know how to and have a successful track record as negotiators. From business, industry, finance - I don't care. But please don't leave the negotiations to neophytes.
    That sounds almost like Trump.

"We don't have our best and our brightest negotiating for us. We have a bunch of losers, we have a bunch of political hacks. We have diplomats...

"I know the smartest guys on Wall Street. I know our best negotiators. I know the overrated guys, the underrated guys, the guys that nobody ever heard of that are killers, that are great. We gotta use those people...

"Guys like Jack Welch. I like guys like Henry Kravis. I'd love to bring my friend Carl Icahn. I mean, we have people that are great..."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Awesome

We are where we are.

Poland is a wonderful, heroic, tragic country, and its people are as pro-British as they come. Any kickback from the EUref on them would be sad indeed.
    I've seen the graves at Arnhem, Poland and Britain have a long and noble history.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GuyVerhofstadt: It's wrong that Scotland might be taken out of EU, when it voted to stay. Happy to discuss w. @NicolaSturgeon next time she's in Bxl. #EUref

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/746690302128300033
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2016
    Lights fuse, walks away... Tottenham lad, he's feeling my pain clearly too but David...

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/746730590708326401
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016
    Afternoon all. No chance of catching up on all the comments, there's literally several thousand again since last night.

A massive Well Done :+1: to Mike Smithson, Robert, TSE, David Herdson (good last thead BTW), Alastair Meeks, Cyclefree, Roger, Nick Palmer, AndyJS (for THAT spreadsheet!), all other other contributors, leader writers and moderators, on what has been the absolute go-to site for politics (and news in general) through an amazing period in the history of the UK.

Watching from abroad, it has been enlightening to see so many intelligent opinions, polite arguments (when compared to the official campaigns anyway) and especially betting tips, which I hope have made this referendum profitable for all even if their desired outcome didn't materialise.

Well deserved donation on the way later in the week Mike, for what is truly one of the best sites on the web, well done all!

PS. The next few months have the potential to be as dramatic as the last few!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Have donated – Cheers Mike, Jnr, Mods and guest editors for providing the marvel of PB.Com.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

Back of the queue
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What's the old sour puss got to say? :smiley:
    Does anyone care what Drunker has to say any more?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So having lost Scotland, he now wants Labour to lose England.

Fascinating.

• Options

Lights fuse, walks away... Tottenham lad, he's feeling my pain clearly too but David...

I look forward to ignoring the next GE result where he wins his seat.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Sandpit said:

Afternoon all. No chance of catching up on all the comments, there's literally several thousand again since last night.

A massive Well Done :+1: to Mike Smithson, Robert, TSE, David Herdson (good last thead BTW), Alastair Meeks, Cyclefree, Roger, Nick Palmer, AndyJS (for THAT spreadsheet!), all other other contributors, leader writers and moderators, on what has been the absolute go-to site for politics (and news in general) through an amazing period in the history of the UK.

Watching from abroad, it has been enlightening to see so many intelligent opinions, polite arguments (when compared to the official campaigns anyway) and especially betting tips, which I hope have made this referendum profitable for all even if their desired outcome didn't materialise.

Well deserved donation on the way later in the week Mike, for what is truly one of the best sites on the web, well done all!

Me too.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/746690302128300033
    Scotland is a separate country. That is why it is called the United Kingdom, for the time being. It is not England's colony.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Scott_P said:

Awesome

We are where we are.

Yes. I always find it poignant that Ypres, where so many British and Commonwealth soldiers were killed in the Great War and where the townsfolk play the last post every evening, was liberated in the Second World War by the free Poles. The playing of the last post was resumed that very day.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Overall, I cleared a decent profit on the election - once the cash has made it back to my account, I'll be sending a donation to both the Jo Cox fund & the site.

Thanks to Mike & the contributors/people behind the scenes who make PB work.
  • Options

Happy to destroy our democracy as long as our economy trolleys along to the detriment of the poorest? Isn't Mr Lammy a Labour politician?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited June 2016

Fascinating.

I don't think Labour quite understands or realises it looking into an existential risk. It needs leadership and fast.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

LOL!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

If you think that's bad, check this out:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/brexit-democratic-failure-for-uk-by-kenneth-rogoff-2016-06

WHY OH WHY did you let the PEOPLE CHOOSE? - from the land of the free no less
    Thanks Lucky. Perhaps Rogoff would look in his own backyard. US Presidential elections (Year; turnout - percent of eligible voters; winner's percentage of vote:

2000 54.2%; 47.87%
    2004 60.4%; 50.73%
    2008 62.3%; 52.93%
    2012 57.5%; 51.06%

Does Rogoff challenge the legitimacy of Obama to preside? Perhaps he should run those numbers...
  • Options

Fascinating.

But he's right - the referendum was advisory and there should be a vote in the Commons on how the Government should respond to it.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

Welcome to Little England

@C4Ciaran: Man's t-shirt reads "Welcome to Britain now fit in or f*ck off". Tells me he's got his "country back."

what is wrong with telling people to "fit in" or in other words assimilate.
    http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/people-want-their-country-back-from-people-who-wanted-their-countey-back/
    I presume you know that's a spoof site.
    One of the best around! You might appreciate this one:

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/southend-residents-terrified-of-uks-most-aggressive-cat/
    This is quite a good one too (if a little uncomfortable for some on here)
    http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/outraged-tottenham-hotspur-fans-demand-rematch-of-may-newcastle-game-after-narrow-defeat/
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The Northern Irish national anthem is complete tosh...
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Scott_P said:

I thought Belgium was an automatic Veto of Scotland joining the EU! Another Project Fear is being undone.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Fascinating.

I don't think Labour quite understands or realises it looking into an existential risk. It needs leadership and fast.
    So does the country. I think the best thing Mr Cameron could do would be to hand in the Article 50 and get the ball rolling.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

DeClare said:

MikeL said:

DavidL said:

We are probably at peak Boris right now, he should be brave and go for it.
    peak Boris = 2012
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

And when Gordon Brown was crowned by the Labour Party in 2007, he immediately...

Yes, he was wrong.

It would be even more wrong for the next prime minister, who would only derive their legitimacy from the tory selectorate, to attempt to write huge chunks of our new constitution and attempt to negotiate on britains behalf.
    @SamCoatesTimes
    Tory MP contacted by Boris campaign says they r telling MPs he wd go for an immediate general election if he wins to get fresh mandate.

Yeh, right, and we all believe what campaigns tell MPs when they are trying to get signatures, don't we?
    Nightmare.

We've finally escaped the EU, and Boris wants to risk it all in a General Election? Please no.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221

Sandpit said:

Me too.
    Excellent comments. Will be glued to the site as the Tories choose a leader.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

I thought Belgium was an automatic Veto of Scotland joining the EU! Another Project Fear is being undone.
    Spain not Belgium surely?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

The country has voted to tear up our constitutional, diplomatic and trading agreements.

Whoever the tory party membership select as their man would be insane not to go to the country immediately.
    The next PM will be the one who can command a majority in the HoC. That's the way it works. It is why we had to put up with that idiot Brown for 2 years. As I was saying before the referendum we might effectively have minority government but it will be the job of the next leader to try and keep the party and government together.
    it was v nearly three years...
    And felt even longer.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Yes, blocking the vote would be momentously silly and would only lead to President Farage at the next general election. Things are bad enough as it is.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    Lowlander said:

Scott_P said:

Unless you've got a time machine and can go back eight years to before he resigned as Prime Minister, it won't make any difference.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I was involved for the crown in the prosecution of a murder in Aberdeen a few years ago. The defence was that the accused had come back to the flat and found his partner dead. In a slightly surprising fit of tidiness he buried the body at the local cemetery.

The AD cross examined him at tedious length about everything he had done that day and then asked, "so when did you dig the hole?" The accused's face just went completely slack and some of the jury laughed. He will still be inside.

Very good. I read a book about bodysnatchers and they frequently made implausible claims about finding bodies, or being unaware a body was on the cart they were pulling. It was a quite lucrative trade, but they weren't exactly master criminals.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr N4,

"But he's right - the referendum was advisory and there should be a vote in the Commons on how the Government should respond to it."

Stop it, my sides are hurting. For a moment, I thought you meant it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    GIN1138 said:

LOL!
    Hmm. Some of these MPs need de-selecting before the next election.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr N4,

"But he's right - the referendum was advisory and there should be a vote in the Commons on how the Government should respond to it."

But this is exactly the position of those who say David Cameron must never inform the European Council that the UK is going to leave the EU under Article 50!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Yes, he was wrong.

@SamCoatesTimes

Nightmare.

We've finally escaped the EU, and Boris wants to risk it all in a General Election? Please no.
    He would invoke Article 50 first, obviously.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

Of course the Government could stick 2 fingers up at them and apply the rules on any FUTURE Join/ Stay out referendum.

As I said before - it is the liberal left blowing a hissy fit because they are emotionally immature and incapable of accepting adversity.
    I wonder how many insulting words it's possible to get into a sentence? I've always thought that ostentatious literal interpretation of what someone is saying while contemptuously ignoring their meaning is immature.

"Incapable of accepting adversity"? What's wrong with not accepting adversity? When the going gets tough, the tough get going - they don't just "accept" the position. This isn't boarding school.

I am #1824150. What happens when we reach 5 million.

How is Article 50 invoked ? Does it require a Parliamentary vote ? What happens if it is not passed ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Pulpstar said:

"At the same time it is hardly surprising. If someone complains about Europe from Monday to Saturday then nobody is going to believe him on Sunday when he says he is a convinced European."
    Great interview - his ability to be elegantly nasty in silky language is exceptional. Anyone expecting an easy ride in the negotiations should read it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    What on earth is Boris Johnson playing at, with the idea of a general election?
    Is there a US angle here? The "Trump and Johnson in the autumn" show?
    Things are volatile and the message given by the British people in a general election could be unambiguously pro-Remain. (Good if so.)
  • Options
    If you think the referendum was not advisory but decisive, you are an EU anti-democrat!
    If you think the referendum was not decisive but advisory, you are a REMAIN anti-democrat!

Bloody weird country.
  • Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Yes, he was wrong.

@SamCoatesTimes

Nightmare.

"A Boris spokesman says this isn't right. "Ignore" they say."

Phew. I think.

Vote Leadsom!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Nick Watt talked last night about No.10 being a like doughnut and I don't think he meant there's jam in the middle. Perhaps instead of leaving the EU we've just decided to dissolve ourselves and no longer have a government.
  • Options
    I think some Leavers are looking for a compromise. Daniel Hannan, in particular. His position is not a million miles for Remain.

Single Market, Free movement of labour [ as opposed to people ]. I don't think the EU are in a mood to accept even that.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2016
    surbiton said:

How is Article 50 invoked ? Does it require a Parliamentary vote ? What happens if it is not passed ?

It's done at a European Council meeting, ie by the PM.

Parliament could also just withdraw unilaterally by repealing the relevant acts.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Pulpstar said:

@SamCoatesTimes

It's not an obviously persuasive argument (so it may in fact be what he really thinks, which would make a change). Accidents happen with apparently sure-thing votes, as we have just seen, so "I will put your job at risk now instead of four years hence" lacks appeal.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

John_N4 said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

I am #1824150. What happens when we reach 5 million.

Its a formal letter from the UK PM to the EU Council. (I think)

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Yes, he was wrong.

@SamCoatesTimes

Nightmare.

"A Boris spokesman says this isn't right. "Ignore" they say."

Phew. I think.

Vote Leadsom!
    Boris has proved to be completely duplicitous for reasons of personal ambition.
    I hope he never becomes PM
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Great interview - his ability to be elegantly nasty in silky language is exceptional. Anyone expecting an easy ride in the negotiations should read it.
    Don't worry ! The Leavers assured us the EU will have no option but to grant us the Single Market.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: When you do think the first "buyer's remorse" opinion poll will be? I give it a week and I think it could be large.

I am shown three doors. Behind one is something helpful in making money on political betting, behind the other two are things inaccurate and discredited, old fashioned and derided.

I choose door one.

The host opens door three to reveal an opinion poll

Do I switch?
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    John_N4 said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

I wonder if it'll get to 16,141,241
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    "But this is exactly the position of those who say David Cameron must never inform the European Council that the UK is going to leave the EU under Article 50"

The only people who are saying "never" are a few demented Remainers. The exact timing of the signalling is down to the UK.
  • Options
    EPG said:

CD13 said:

Mr N4,

But this is exactly the position of those who say David Cameron must never inform the European Council that the UK is going to leave the EU under Article 50!
    Buyers remorse !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Pulpstar said:

@SamCoatesTimes

It's not an obviously persuasive argument (so it may in fact be what he really thinks, which would make a change). Accidents happen with apparently sure-thing votes, as we have just seen, so "I will put your job at risk now instead of four years hence" lacks appeal.
    That comment says a lot about you.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

"But this is exactly the position of those who say David Cameron must never inform the European Council that the UK is going to leave the EU under Article 50"

The only people who are saying "never" are a few demented Remainers. The exact timing of the signalling is down to the UK.

The only reason this is even an issue — it's not really an issue, it's Remainers being in a huff — is because Cameron stupidly said he'd press the red button immediately. Anyone with half a brain can figure out we need to get our ducks in a row first.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DeClare said:

John_N4 said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

That will be hilarious, when more people sign a petition than ACTUALLY BLOODY VOTED!!!!!

Actual, real world democracy, my young friends, is still done the old fashioned way.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    John_N4 said:

Fascinating.

But he's right - the referendum was advisory and there should be a vote in the Commons on how the Government should respond to it.
    They should respond by following the will of the people. Well those that could be arsed to vote that is.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

tyson said:

Fascinating.

So does the country. I think the best thing Mr Cameron could do would be to hand in the Article 50 and get the ball rolling.
    Yes. The people have spoken , so it should be invoked. The people did not say we want to leave the EU, sometime in the future.
  • Options
    04:48 John Curtice defo endorsing online polling trends as better indicators.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Just before the Redbridge/Newham discussion fades completely, I met a British Asian guy from Newham at a Vote Leave event who said he and his whole family were planning to leave and head to Havering because Newham isn't British anymore.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Do we know which areas had lowest turn-out?

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

were the only ones under 60%.

[Edit: the Electoral Commission got its CSV results file very quickly.]
    Newham was actually less REMAIN (53%) than Redbridge (54%).
    Redbridge 54% surprised me must say.
    I wasn't TBF, I was one of the 46%, natch, but its area mostly consists of Ilford North and Ilford South, which are Labour.
    But so are Barking and Dagenham but that was 62% Leave and even Newham was 47% Leave.

Now the Asian population in Redbridge is more affluent than that in Newham - could that have made them more Remain ?

Also would the Conservative voters in the Wanstead and Woodford areas have been more affluent and Remain than those in Havering and Epping ?

I assume that Hainault was strongly Leave being mostly wwc.
    I don't think you'll find a huge Lab v Tory difference in the Referendum within London itself - it will be very interesting to see the post-vote polling breakdowns. Redbridge has far more middle class wards (and graduates etc) than Newham, which is where its more-remain leaning margin will have come from.
    heh, I got a PhD :sunglasses:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

The GE is not advisory. Referendums, legally speaking, are.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Just before the Redbridge/Newham discussion fades completely, I met a British Asian guy from Newham at a Vote Leave event who said he and his whole family were planning to leave and head to Havering because Newham isn't British anymore.

Havering? My mum and dad aren't considering that quite yet :)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    EPG said:

If you think the referendum was not advisory but decisive, you are an EU anti-democrat!
    If you think the referendum was not decisive but advisory, you are a REMAIN anti-democrat!

Bloody weird country.

If you think the referendum was advisory, you are correct:
    https://next.ft.com/content/5b82031e-1056-31e1-8e0e-4e91774e27f1
    If you think it was decisive mathematically, you're wrong 51.9 to 48.1 is only 3.8 apart. If it had been the other way round Farage would have that as 'unfinished business:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-eu-referendum_uk_576e6585e4b08d2c56393f12
    If you think it was decisive politically, I would say you are right.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

The GE is not advisory. Referendums, legally speaking, are.
    Surely they could be made executive by passing an act of parliament that stated it would be put into law by a majority in a referendum
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    DeClare said:

John_N4 said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it got past that. Has anybody dipped into the raw data?

"signatures_by_country"
    {"name":"Australia","code":"AU","signature_count":6884},
    {"name":"Belgium","code":"BE","signature_count":1315},
    {"name":"British Antarctic Territory","code":"BAT","signature_count":2},
    {"name":"Canada","code":"CA","signature_count":2343},
    {"name":"France","code":"FR","signature_count":11737},
    {"name":"Germany","code":"DE","signature_count":4325},
    {"name":"Gibraltar","code":"GI","signature_count":2477},
    {"name":"Hong Kong","code":"HK","signature_count":1337},
    {"name":"Ireland","code":"IE","signature_count":1825},
    {"name":"United States","code":"US","signature_count":6364}
  • Options
    04:56 Vaz totally shellshocked - Leicester only voted Remain by 2500 votes.

Wow.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    FPT.

For David L.

I think you live in Scotland and you were a Brexit supporter? Are you now advocating a deal that is close to membership of the EU? Or are you simply saying that that is what Sturgeon should hope for to placate her supporters.

As a Brexiteer how would you feel if the result leads to Scottish independence which Scotland can't afford?
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Of course, being a Saturday, the programme would have been "Pointless Celebrities" - (Eddie Izzard and Marcus Brigstock podium one).

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Wow.

You are running 30 mins behind!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

@SamCoatesTimes

I can see that, but if BoJo was planning to go with EFTA then he may well need a mandate to do so.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

EPG said:

Bloody weird country.

If you think the referendum was advisory, you are correct:
    https://next.ft.com/content/5b82031e-1056-31e1-8e0e-4e91774e27f1
    If you think it was decisive mathematically, you're wrong 51.9 to 48.1 is only 3.8 apart. If it had been the other way round Farage would have that as 'unfinished business:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-eu-referendum_uk_576e6585e4b08d2c56393f12
    If you think it was decisive politically, I would say you are right.
    A referendum result for the status quo is unfinished business, in that a similar referendum can be held again
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Didn't Cameron refer to these in his resignation speech ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited June 2016

Nick Watt talked last night about No.10 being a like doughnut and I don't think he meant there's jam in the middle. Perhaps instead of leaving the EU we've just decided to dissolve ourselves and no longer have a government.

Everything will start happening on Monday.

Mind you, it's surpriging we've not had **any** reports for whats going on Downing St this weekend, even if it's just to say "the modd is grim".

Maybe they've taken all the phones off the hook, disconnected th1 internet, shut the curtains and locked the doors?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Wow.

You are running 30 mins behind!
    I've been rewinding my favourite bits :lol:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Wow.

He didn't even have a poster up in his constituency office on Humberstone road.
This discussion has been closed.