Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big thank you to those who’ve contributed to the post-ref

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising.

Once in a generation kind of thing They'll have to be patient.
    Of course the Government could stick 2 fingers up at them and apply the rules on any FUTURE Join/ Stay out referendum.

As I said before - it is the liberal left blowing a hissy fit because they are emotionally immature and incapable of accepting adversity.
    What do you think of the much more unsalutary spectacle of referendum winners moaning and whining about the losers, then?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

PlatoSaid said:

Do we know which areas had lowest turn-out?

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

were the only ones under 60%.

[Edit: the Electoral Commission got its CSV results file very quickly.]
    Newham was actually less REMAIN (53%) than Redbridge (54%).
    Redbridge 54% surprised me must say.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Leave need to conduct themselves with dignity over the coming weeks and months. It's only day 2 and already we're seeing u-turns on immigration and the very edifice of the United Kingdom teetering. Now is not the time to cast blame. Leave must not blame the Remain camp for being insufficient explicit about the Brexit dangers. I, and many others, were at great pains to adumbrate the perils; perhaps we should have expressed ourselves with more clarity, but we cannot be accused of being irresponsibly silent. Moreover, Leave must not blame each other. Boris is in charge now. Leavers, you must look to him, give him the respect he is owed and follow his word as though it were canonical. He will waste not one waking second to try to do you proud, of that I am fairly certain.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    EPG said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

1.6 million people have now signed the petition for another EU referendum. If you keep refreshing the page, you can see just how fast the number of signatories is rising.

Of course the Government could stick 2 fingers up at them and apply the rules on any FUTURE Join/ Stay out referendum.

As I said before - it is the liberal left blowing a hissy fit because they are emotionally immature and incapable of accepting adversity.
    What do you think of the much more unsalutary spectacle of referendum winners moaning and whining about the losers, then?
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 26m26 minutes ago
    I'm as disappointed as anybody at the referendum result. But if you're signing a petition demanding a new one, you need to have a think.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

I wasn't TBF, I was one of the 46%, natch, but its area mostly consists of Ilford North and Ilford South, which are Labour.
  • Options

Speedy said:

PlatoSaid said:

Belfast West, 49% Turnout, 74% Remain.

Remain areas had the lowest turnouts in the country.
    Not many people are passionate about staying in the EU.
    Not really true - there's not much correlation here between turnout (X axis) and Leave percentage (Y axis):

What someone really needs to map is turnout increase/decrease compared to general election. The "remain" areas that got decent turnout in the EURef I expect would do so normally.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    EPG said:

weejonnie said:

John_N4 said:

I haven't seen much - however it is the losers who have kicked this off - so they should accept the consequences of their actions. All I can do is tell them off and that they should grow up.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    edited June 2016

EPG said:

perdix said:

EPG said:

- Article 50.2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention.

Tuesday's European Council meeting, imagined:
    "So, Mr Cameron, has the UK decided to withdraw from the European Union?"
    "Ermm... I am not permitted to say"

Cameron said: "Yes the UK has decided to Leave the EU. When we have finished our political procedures to elect another Leader we will formally advise you of our wish to leave. Democracy takes time to execute properly - we don't like being bossed by unelected officials".

First of all, the European Council comprises the elected heads of government. This ignorance about the EU is really despairing, and it is the media's fault for being more interested in demonising Europe over the last 30 years rather than reporting about it, that so many educated people can think the Council is an unelected bureaucracy. Fortunately, British being ill-informed about Europe won't be a problem any more.

Article 50 is not about formally advising anybody. There is no kabuki about it: no Black Rod, state procession or I spy strangers. When Cameron notifies the Council, that will be it in law.
    It's an advisory referendum. The government has not decided how to respond to it and is leaving that task to its successor. It remains possible, though unlikely, that the advice will be rejected.
    Ah, so that's where all this "buyers remorse" and "the voters didn't really mean it" stuff is going? ;)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/746710438843383808

We all backed a 2016 election at 16/1 months ago, I trust.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

You mean I wasted all morning digging the bomb shelter? I was told WWIII would start if we lef t the EU.

I did hear some noise from the garden at about 4am on Friday. I thought it might be the first Russian Spetsnaz parachuting in, but I didn't see anything so I suppose it was just a fox.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,407
    To all the leavers on this forum I wish to announce that I have been converted to the cause.

Listening to the abject wittering of the 6 foreign ministers at their meeting in Berlin today, and their preposterous demand that David Cameron serves the Article 50 notice immediately, the sooner they are left to their own anti democratic bubble the better. Juncker’s threatening us with an unfriendly divorce just adds to the narrative of an organisation heading for its own ‘Waterloo’

I heard Norman Smith of the BBC giving a ridiculous over hyped report on how we were not re-acting to the demands of the EU for immediate negotiations and going ape at the absence of Boris and Michael Gove. Who does he think he is; the BBC staff need to start reflecting the will of the people.

On the Section 50 notice it cannot, and must not be served, until the new cabinet has approved such an action and certainly cannot be served by David Cameron. If it causes the EU contagion problems tough. They need to realise that they cannot bully us into submission.

Some of the EU leaders are wailing at the holding of a referendum blaming Conservative Party splits for destabilising their beloved project. I have one word for them ‘democracy’

I never thought I would get so annoyed but glad I have been able to get it off my chest
  • Options

Labour activist Tom Mauchline can be heard saying: "I had a Polish friend in tears because you couldn't get out the vote in Wales, the North and the Midlands."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Another false narrative being pushed I see....There was no problem getting the vote out, it is just they didn't want to follow the official party line.

I fear that the voters in question may not be following the Labour party line for a very long time to come. See John Harris articles in Guardian.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Leave need to conduct themselves with dignity over the coming weeks and months. It's only day 2 and already we're seeing u-turns on immigration and the very edifice of the United Kingdom teetering. Now is not the time to cast blame. Leave must not blame the Remain camp for being insufficient explicit about the Brexit dangers. I, and many others, were at great pains to adumbrate the perils; perhaps we should have expressed ourselves with more clarity, but we cannot be accused of being irresponsibly silent. Moreover, Leave must not blame each other. Boris is in charge now. Leavers, you must look to him, give him the respect he is owed and follow his word as though it were canonical. He will waste not one waking second to try to do you proud, of that I am fairly certain.

Boris is in charge now.

No, Cameron is still.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

EPG said:

perdix said:

EPG said:

- Article 50.2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention.

Cameron said: "Yes the UK has decided to Leave the EU. When we have finished our political procedures to elect another Leader we will formally advise you of our wish to leave. Democracy takes time to execute properly - we don't like being bossed by unelected officials".

First of all, the European Council comprises the elected heads of government. This ignorance about the EU is really despairing, and it is the media's fault for being more interested in demonising Europe over the last 30 years rather than reporting about it, that so many educated people can think the Council is an unelected bureaucracy. Fortunately, British being ill-informed about Europe won't be a problem any more.

Article 50 is not about formally advising anybody. There is no kabuki about it: no Black Rod, state procession or I spy strangers. When Cameron notifies the Council, that will be it in law.
    It's an advisory referendum. The government has not decided how to respond to it and is leaving that task to its successor. It remains possible, though unlikely, that the advice will be rejected.
    Ah, so that's where all this "buyers remorse" and "the voters didn't really mean it" stuff is going? ;)
    Not from me. Vox populi, vox dei.

But the EU can't infer a triggering of Article 50 from an advisory referendum.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    GIN1138 said:

EPG said:

perdix said:

EPG said:

Until Article 50 is invoked there is a possibility of it not being invoked.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

No relation to Sir Adrian Harper?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    glw said:

You mean I wasted all morning digging the bomb shelter? I was told WWIII would start if we lef t the EU.

I did hear some noise from the garden at about 4am on Friday. I thought it might be the first Russian Spetsnaz parachuting in, but I didn't see anything so I suppose it was just a fox.
    My neighbours were digging up their patio at 01:00 with a pneumatic drill.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Boris is in charge now. Leavers, you must look to him, give him the respect he is owed and follow his word as though it were canonical. He will waste not one waking second to try to do you proud, of that I am fairly certain.

Is there a market on Boris NOT standing for the leadership?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited June 2016
    Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her staff were having difficulty communicating with State Department officials by e-mail because spam filters were blocking their messages. To fix the problem, State Department IT turned the filters off -- potentially exposing State's employees to phishing attacks and other malicious e-mails.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/clintons-private-e-mail-was-blocked-by-spam-filters-so-state-it-turned-them-off/

Did they previously work as apple genii?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    JohnO said:

taffys said:

It is now up to Johnson, Gove and the new insurgent majority to deliver.

Well if Cameron will let him, Mr John O. Already they are backing anybody to prevent Johnson delivering on his vision.

Theresa May deliberately sat out the whole campaign to feast on its entrails, like a political vulture. That's what Cameron wants? Get lost, mate.

Not up to Cameron though, is it? He's now a busted flush and won't carry much weight with Tory MPs who will choose the two candidates for the membership to decide.
    John

May I ask your views about Osborne ?

All the disasters the Conservatives have suffered directly trail back to him and yet Cameron seems to always rely upon him above all others and on all things.

I know that there are still some PBTories who rate Osborne highly but there are others, David Herdson, for example, who certainly aren't fans.
  • Options
    Will new PM ditch the redrawing of boundaries? Helps win next GE, but there may be one before it is done e.g. next spring, and anyway not popular with backbenchers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

To all the leavers on this forum I wish to announce that I have been converted to the cause.

Listening to the abject wittering of the 6 foreign ministers at their meeting in Berlin today, and their preposterous demand that David Cameron serves the Article 50 notice immediately, the sooner they are left to their own anti democratic bubble the better. Juncker’s threatening us with an unfriendly divorce just adds to the narrative of an organisation heading for its own ‘Waterloo’

I heard Norman Smith of the BBC giving a ridiculous over hyped report on how we were not re-acting to the demands of the EU for immediate negotiations and going ape at the absence of Boris and Michael Gove. Who does he think he is; the BBC staff need to start reflecting the will of the people.

On the Section 50 notice it cannot, and must not be served, until the new cabinet has approved such an action and certainly cannot be served by David Cameron. If it causes the EU contagion problems tough. They need to realise that they cannot bully us into submission.

Some of the EU leaders are wailing at the holding of a referendum blaming Conservative Party splits for destabilising their beloved project. I have one word for them ‘democracy’

I never thought I would get so annoyed but glad I have been able to get it off my chest

Well said. The days of EU officials being officious with us are thankfully coming to an end. That was really the point.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

Scott_P said:

@lbcbreaking: Police investigating after hateful notes were posted through letterboxes of Polish residents in Cambridgeshire following the Brexit vote.

It'll be fascinating to discover their origin. Keep us posted.
    Fascinating indeed.
  • Options

JohnO said:

taffys said:

Well if Cameron will let him, Mr John O. Already they are backing anybody to prevent Johnson delivering on his vision.

Theresa May deliberately sat out the whole campaign to feast on its entrails, like a political vulture. That's what Cameron wants? Get lost, mate.

Not up to Cameron though, is it? He's now a busted flush and won't carry much weight with Tory MPs who will choose the two candidates for the membership to decide.
    John

All the disasters the Conservatives have suffered directly trail back to him and yet Cameron seems to always rely upon him above all others and on all things.

I know that there are still some PBTories who rate Osborne highly but there are others, David Herdson, for example, who certainly aren't fans.
    Not quite true of Osborne. I believe he told Cameron that an EU referendum was "a crazy" idea and not to do it.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Labour activist Tom Mauchline can be heard saying: "I had a Polish friend in tears because you couldn't get out the vote in Wales, the North and the Midlands."

Another false narrative being pushed I see....There was no problem getting the vote out, it is just they didn't want to follow the official party line.

I fear that the voters in question may not be following the Labour party line for a very long time to come. See John Harris articles in Guardian.
    Have you a link?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

JohnO said:

taffys said:

John

Overall I have rated Osborne fairly highly, though somewhat less so more recently. But, like Cameron, he is now toast. How truly do all political careers end in failure.
  • Options

Those were indeed good odds but I think it is very unlikely that the new leader of the Tories will want an election. What if there were some buyers remorse in reality as opposed to the minds of the BBC and the far from united Tories faced a Labour party committed to remaining in? Just not worth the risk.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well said. The days of EU officials being officious with us are thankfully coming to an end. That was really the point.
    Ditto - and thanks for that @Big_G_NorthWales
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    DavidL said:

"Manfred Weber, who represents German Chancellor Angela Merkel's political party in the European parliament, said it was imperative to start negotiations with Britain soon about its departure, to ensure stability and avoid uncertainties.

"We want to negotiate a new relationship, not a nasty divorce," Weber told the Muencher Merkur newspaper. "My goal would be to wrap up the exit negotiations within about a year."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/germany-warns-against-eu-revenge-following-uk-brexit-vote/

I really like the Germans, if only they could listen before the event.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited June 2016
    weejonnie said:

Have you a link?
    He has a whole mini-series called "Anywhere but Westminster" of articles and videos on the Guardian website. It is worth 30-40 minutes of your time.
  • Options

It's not nice for anyone to be in tears. But I don't see how it's any more awful than someone being in tears having voted for Brexit and lost. That's what happens in a democracy.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Scott_P said:

How do I get my country back from these fckwits?

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/746702395556630532

One could do a lot with the Low "Very Well. Alone" cartoon.
    Fairly soon we'll be alon-er.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/art/verywellalone1.html
  • Options
    This second referendum thing is clearly a Leave distraction ploy. They just want to wallow in fantasies of the 'metro establishment' ganging up on them again. I'm beginning to think that rescinding our EU membership was a secondary consideration (if that). The main thrill was the referendum campaign - pretending to be pirates and being rude about important people and institutions. Leave are upset that's all over and want to keep reliving it. Meanwhile everything crumbles around our ears.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    @SamCoatesTimes
    Was Cameron's career one big ponzi scheme? He bet, then doubled down with a bigger bet, then doubled down with a bigger bet - then lost
  • Options

DavidL said:

"Manfred Weber, who represents German Chancellor Angela Merkel's political party in the European parliament, said it was imperative to start negotiations with Britain soon about its departure, to ensure stability and avoid uncertainties.

"We want to negotiate a new relationship, not a nasty divorce," Weber told the Muencher Merkur newspaper. "My goal would be to wrap up the exit negotiations within about a year."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/germany-warns-against-eu-revenge-following-uk-brexit-vote/

Yeah, Belgium 1914 and Poland 1939 are good examples.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DavidL said:

Those were indeed good odds but I think it is very unlikely that the new leader of the Tories will want an election. What if there were some buyers remorse in reality as opposed to the minds of the BBC and the far from united Tories faced a Labour party committed to remaining in? Just not worth the risk.
    I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will need his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

taffys said:

John

Overall I have rated Osborne fairly highly, though somewhat less so more recently. But, like Cameron, he is now toast. How truly do all political careers end in failure.
    History may show that David Cameron's gift of a referendum was the most enabling thing he ever did, even if it wasn't the result he wanted. To be honest he gave a Statesman's resignation address yesterday and he will take some replacing in the Office of Prime Minister. As far as George Osborne is concerned he must go
  • Options

Welcome to the other side of enemy lines comrade! :smiley:

The response to the referendum has been an eye-opener hasn't it? ;)
  • Options

It's not nice for anyone to be in tears. But I don't see how it's any more awful than someone being in tears having voted for Brexit and lost. That's what happens in a democracy.
    Perhaps we can have hundreds of soft toys left outside the Remain HQ offices - and spend several days signing books of condolences :wink:
  • Options
    @ACBerlin: John Crace in the Guardian: 'Gove looked like a man who had just come down from a bad trip to find he had murdered one of his friends'
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

I am so very happy to hear that :smile:
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Just had another thought, British teams now have less purchasing power compared to their European rivals.

Five year trading range for pound vs Euro = 1.105-1.441
    Trading range 2014 = 1.205-1.287
    GDP Growth 2014 = 2.8%

Current price = 1.23

End of the world? Obviously
    These short-run gyrations don't really matter, as I posted earlier. If the £ stays that low, it's another matter.

However you're cheating a little in using the GBP/EUR, since both currencies were hit on Friday. GBP/USD is the better yardstick.
    Fine, but having lived through the 1980s when people were talking about 1:1 vs the dollar, I still find a trading range of $1.20-$1.30 (which I would also expect to be a transitory if prolonged dip) to be hardly armageddon.
    The 1980s weren't a great time to be looking for a job, either.
    Not in the first half of the 80s, no. But that was following the deep recession at the beginning of the decade. We were talking about exchange rates and economic performance. GDP growth was high in that time period, whether the pound was low or high, so the current trading range is not something that scares me:

1982 = 2.1%; $1.89-$1.62
    1983 = 4.2%; $1.58-$1.43
    1984 = 2.3%; $1.46-$1.19
    1985 = 3.5%; $1.05-$1.44
    1986 = 3.2%; $1.42-$1.52
    1987 = 5.5%; $1.51-$1.67
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

Huge demographic change.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will end his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.
    Flushing out possible rebels in the current environment would be brave in a strictly Yes Minister sense. Time to let heads cool I think. But we shall see.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    DavidL said:

Only worth the risk if Labour still led by Corbyn.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

If you are burying a body there are surely better ways and times of doing so.
  • Options

Everyone's defected to the Brexit cause now. It had better be good.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I always said I was very eurosceptic and today was a step to far. Thanks Plato
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

I wasn't TBF, I was one of the 46%, natch, but its area mostly consists of Ilford North and Ilford South, which are Labour.
    But so are Barking and Dagenham but that was 62% Leave and even Newham was 47% Leave.

Now the Asian population in Redbridge is more affluent than that in Newham - could that have made them more Remain ?

Also would the Conservative voters in the Wanstead and Woodford areas have been more affluent and Remain than those in Havering and Epping ?

I assume that Hainault was strongly Leave being mostly wwc.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I complimented @Big_G_NorthWales in the previous thread for his gentlemanly reaction to Remain's loss. I was rude to him for being a perceived Cameron stooge before. Showing some great form now though.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Scott_P said:

Welcome to Little England

@C4Ciaran: Man's t-shirt reads "Welcome to Britain now fit in or f*ck off". Tells me he's got his "country back."

what is wrong with telling people to "fit in" or in other words assimilate.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016
    DavidL said:

The new prime minister, selected by a few tens of thousands of elderly tory members in the shires, will have very little democratic legitimacy.

As Nate silver (or one of his colleagues) said on his podcast, it would be like the republican primary voters of Iowa selecting the next POTUS.

The country has voted to tear up our constitutional, diplomatic and trading agreements.

Whoever the tory party membership select as their man would be insane not to go to the country immediately.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    glw said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

There are, but occasionally things don't go according to plan.
  • Options

[snip...]

Nice to see you aboard!
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

@C4Ciaran: Man's t-shirt reads "Welcome to Britain now fit in or f*ck off". Tells me he's got his "country back."

Well we are not the Borg for one.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    glw said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

:lol:

Funnily enough, our local Chinese takeaway owner killed his wife and buried her under the patio. His lack of creativity did for him in the end.

Could've been worse, he could have served her with noodles.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

Last week Scott was telling anyone who didn't want to live in a Britain with an 80 million population to leave.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/people-want-their-country-back-from-people-who-wanted-their-countey-back/
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Has anyone signed the petition to have another referendum because you didn't like the result of this one? I'm very tempted but I know it's silly.

I thought it was the Leave campaign that had the thickos?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I complimented @Big_G_NorthWales in the previous thread for his gentlemanly reaction to Remain's loss. I was rude to him for being a perceived Cameron stooge before. Showing some great form now though.
    BG is The Man! :smiley:
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    What will Tory members want?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yes and they are showing they just do not get it. The Nation now need to unite to make it happen for an Independent UK. The picture from Romford is just unacceptable and I hope action is taken.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Another sad consequence of all this is that it's allowed the anglophobes to play up their anti-English stereotype. You can sense their gleeful sense of vindication: 'See, we were right about that lot all along.' And, of course, there's very little we can say.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

DavidL said:

I always said I was very eurosceptic and today was a step to far. Thanks Plato
    Welcome to the converted. I was pro-EU even after Maastricht. But the Euro (as implemented as a political project rather than a sound economic one), the continuing democratic deficit and the Lisbon shenanigans turned me.

Since then, the appalling over-regulation that has become a drug to an addicted EC has pushed me further and further away.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    taffys said:

John_N4 said:

remain lost with absolutely everything in its favour. Civil service, organs of state, sitting prime minister, all major political parties.

Get over it.

As for the anti-johnson stuff, jeez. He and Gove got millions to vote for their vision in parts of Britain where tory is a four letter word. On scant resources.

If that's not electoral success, FFS I don;t know what is
    Their vision of not spending any more on the NHS and allowing unlimited immigration?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Pong said:

DavidL said:

The new prime minister, selected by a few tens of thousands of elderly tory members in the shires, will have very little democratic legitimacy.

As Nate silver (or one of his colleagues) said on his podcast, it would be like the republican primary voters of Iowa selecting the next POTUS.

And when Gordon Brown was crowned by the Labour Party in 2007, he immediately...

• Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

taffys said:

John

Thanks for your response John.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,504
    edited June 2016

I think you're missing the point; the person in the OP isn't in tears because they voted and then lost (not least because they are probably ineligible).

Imagine you're a Brit living in Spain, and you just saw a big vote in Spain won on the back of widespread concern about all the Brit immigrants there, whipped up by inflammatory Anti-British stories in much of the Spanish press. You too would be feeling sad about it, at the very least.
  • Options

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/people-want-their-country-back-from-people-who-wanted-their-countey-back/
    I presume you know that's a spoof site.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Has anyone signed the petition to have another referendum because you didn't like the result of this one? I'm very tempted but I know it's silly.

The only thing that tempts me is the betting opportunity.
  • Options
    @zenjournalist: After Brexit vote, Polish people in England are being targeted with fliers saying "No more Polish vermin" https://t.co/hYCHIqwFuV

Not only was the campaign fought, and won, on the platform of anti-immigration, the win has given license to those who are anti-immigrant.

Awesome
  • Options

One of the perplexing things about the EU is why it so often takes a crisis to get things done. I think a deal could have been done that the public would have supported, but it wasn't so we were left with no option but to stick two fingers up to the lot of them. For the cause of this I mainly blame Cameron's pathetic renegotiation and tone-deaf campaigning, but the EU itself bears some of the blame.
  • Options

Everyone's defected to the Brexit cause now. It had better be good.
    It will encounter many problems but the way the EU elite have re-acted is unacceptable and a turn off. We need to get on with it
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes and they are showing they just do not get it. The Nation now need to unite to make it happen for an Independent UK. The picture from Romford is just unacceptable and I hope action is taken.
    I am not sure that I want to see "action taken" on people for wearing a t shirt even if they are a dickhead.
  • Options
    Pong said:

DavidL said:

The country has voted to tear up our constitutional, diplomatic and trading agreements.

Whoever the tory party membership select as their man would be insane not to go to the country immediately.

Nate should know better. Effectively Iowa and New Hampshire do select the candidates of both parties most election cycles.
  • Options
    It may have been posted earlier, but I hadn't seen this interview with Jean-Claude Juncker:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jean-claude-juncker-interview-brexit-2016-6?IR=T
  • Options

CD13 said:

The only thing that tempts me is the betting opportunity.
    That's a good point hmmm
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016

Pong said:

DavidL said:

And when Gordon Brown was crowned by the Labour Party in 2007, he immediately...

Yes, he was wrong.

It would be even more wrong for the next prime minister, who would only derive their legitimacy from the tory selectorate, to attempt to write huge chunks of our new constitution and attempt to negotiate on britains behalf.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    edited June 2016

DavidL said:

I disagree. The Tory majority is too small to allow for effective government and its mandate in any case belongs to the outgoing incumbent. The new leader will need his (or her) own mandate for very changed circumstances. And, incidentally, it would flush out possible rebels.
    But it's very, very risky.

They need a 6% lead minimum again for a bare majority - and a bit more if the Lib Dens recover even a little.

Worth remembering the DUP supported Brexit - that means the 8 DUP MPs are bound to support a Brexit Con Government. That increases the effective Con Majority to 32 (ie 12 official + 4 SF missing + 16 DUP)
  • Options
    Pong said:

DavidL said:

The next PM will be the one who can command a majority in the HoC. That's the way it works. It is why we had to put up with that idiot Brown for 2 years. As I was saying before the referendum we might effectively have minority government but it will be the job of the next leader to try and keep the party and government together.
  • Options

Pong said:

DavidL said:

And Major waited till the last minute in April 1992.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062

Pong said:

DavidL said:

There will soon be a general election in which the Tories will increase their majority........
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

There are, but occasionally things don't go according to plan.

Good point! :D
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Yes, he was wrong.

It would be even more wrong for the next prime minister, who would only derive their legitimacy from the tory selectorate, to attempt to write huge chunks of our new constitution and attempt to negotiate on britains behalf.
    Sam Coates TimesVerified account
    @SamCoatesTimes
    Tory MP contacted by Boris campaign says they r telling MPs he wd go for an immediate general election if he wins to get fresh mandate.

Yeh, right, and we all believe what campaigns tell MPs when they are trying to get signatures, don't we?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

But so are Barking and Dagenham but that was 62% Leave and even Newham was 47% Leave.

Now the Asian population in Redbridge is more affluent than that in Newham - could that have made them more Remain ?

Also would the Conservative voters in the Wanstead and Woodford areas have been more affluent and Remain than those in Havering and Epping ?

Oh I see what you mean - the scale of REMAIN.

Yes, for real, Redbridge is and looks far more affluent than Newham
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    Betfair - GE in 2016:

Yes 5.1
    No 1.2
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GIN1138 said:

I am not sure that I want to see "action taken" on people for wearing a t shirt even if they are a dickhead.
    Or just for wearing a t-shirt with any message on it.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/hunting/girl-arrested-over-bollocks-to-blair-shirt-68779
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791

It may have been posted earlier, but I hadn't seen this interview with Jean-Claude Juncker:

Nice to see such rosy cheeks - lots of fresh air, I expect!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Glasgow 56.25%
    Newham 59.25%
    Manchester 59.77%

I don't think you'll find a huge Lab v Tory difference in the Referendum within London itself - it will be very interesting to see the post-vote polling breakdowns. Redbridge has far more middle class wards (and graduates etc) than Newham, which is where its more-remain leaning margin will have come from.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Yes, he was wrong.

It would be even more wrong for the prime minister, who would only derive their legitimacy from the tory selectorate, to attempt to write our new constitution.
    I'd give that a 40% probability, perhaps even slightly higher. The restraints of the FTPA could be easily circumvented. Much will depend on whether Brexit is seen to be 'working' by the early autumn and those accursed polls will also be a factor. But against Corbyn, it is difficult to see anything other than a Tory victory, very likely with an increased majority. Then the fun begins....
  • Options

What's the old sour puss got to say? :smiley:
  • Options

Not my fault governor. Cameron may have got the referendum wrong but he was sure right about that prat.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good afternoon, everyone.

On topic: My very grateful thanks to everyone who kept the site running through the campaign and during the referendum day/night. I have no TV and PB is my go-to source of news & entertainment. It was clear that @AndyJS's spreadsheet was worth its weight in gold (perhaps literally, to those who bet as events unfold).

I'm really grateful, too to all those contributors (above & below the line) who helped me to make up my mind on what issues were important to me. Very often I find that remarks I disagree with help a lot because they impel me to think through why I disagree.

And finally, thanks to the site & you all for being there whilst I've been ill & recovering (was mumps). A happy coincidence that there was an event of national importance in the offing. I'm more or less recovered now so will almost certainly be posting less after the weekend.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I have to say on the scale of hilarity that I thought "Westmisnter will block a Second SIndyRef" was going to be the funniest thing I read this week but "17 million people voted for a pedantic technocratic definition of leaving the EU and they are all totally fine with unlimited immigration continuing and there won't be any problems with that" to be almost injurious to my health due to the volume of guffawing I am engaging in.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Scott_P said:

I presume you know that's a spoof site.
    One of the best around! You might appreciate this one:

http://southendnewsnetwork.com/news/southend-residents-terrified-of-uks-most-aggressive-cat/
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

DavidL said:

Yes, he was wrong.

It would be even more wrong for the prime minister, who would only derive their legitimacy from the tory selectorate, to attempt to write our new constitution.
    I'd give that a 40% probability, perhaps even slightly higher. The restraints of the FTPA could be easily circumvented. Much will depend on whether Brexit is seen to be 'working' by the early autumn and those accursed polls will also be a factor. But against Corbyn, it is difficult to see anything other than a Tory victory, very likely with an increased majority. Then the fun begins....
    Would be a brave gamble from Boris, if it is he. In Scotland the SNP would do even better. In England Labour would lose votes to UKIP, and the Tories possibly a few to the LibDems. Whether the Tories would pick up more Lab v Con marginals than it loses to other parties would be the key calculation. It would be brave, as I said...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Funnily enough, our local Chinese takeaway owner killed his wife and buried her under the patio. His lack of creativity did for him in the end.

Blimey! It does have to be about the worst place to leave a body, as it is one place the police always look, but as GeoffM said if your plans went wrong, of if you didn't plan it at all, you've got to do something with the body.
This discussion has been closed.